Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Call me Dave”: The Ashcroft revelations in the Mail appear

Comments

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Has there ever been a dafter trade mission than the current visit to China

- we offer them loan guarantees
    - football bungs
    - access to our rail contracts

Surely the point is we sell to them.

Osborne is China's best salesman.

#kowtow

I am very pleased to read that, Mr. Brooke. I had thought it was only me that felt Osborne's trip and announcements were daft, if not completely bonkers. I was beginning to fear that I was losing my marbles as so many people seem to think that giving China bungs was a good idea and inviting them to come and asset strip even better.
    We often disagree, Mr L, but on this we are at one.

Once upon a time British nuclear (and other) engineers were among the world’s best. What’s happened?
    And why is a Conservative Government disposing of British interest in industry in this fashion?
    I think as the years roll on, Mr. Cole, I think we agree on more and more. On what has happened to the UK engineering base I think the answer may lie with Mr. Southam's oft repeated message. We still have great engineers, some of the best anywhere, what we also have is piss poor strategic level managers who are unprepared to consider the long term. The UK's main failure has been for many decades its in ability to produce top quality management. In recent years, with the advent of the fantastically remunerated corporate superstars, the situation seems to have only gotten worse.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,207
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The big political issue that the book has raised is the timing of Cameron’s knowledge of Lord Ashcroft non Dom status. That could go on.

Yes, but. Politically it is the most damaging, but since its been buried in a tidal wave of effluent and trivia it will be easy to bat away with 'How can anyone believe anything from an author who claims x y & z.....'

Carlotta, in case you missed it, I know it is one of your favourite concerns:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34113658
    So, its worse than three years ago, and....

The figures showed that activity at A&E departments was at its lowest level for July in the past five years, with staff dealing with 131,948 cases.

Well done, NHS Scotland!
    Can you not read , activity = patients, clue , lowest in 3 years means less needing treatment and all treated much quicker.
    So on a lower bar, they are still worse than three years ago :D
    Just that they are the best of the four Health Services and lower than they have been since measurements started. If you can conflate that to being worse you are a better man than me Gunga Din.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Clinton seems to have re-established a clear lead in Iowa, even though her national figures aren't overwhelming - it's hard to see Sanders really overtaking her. Biden is another matter - if he runs, he'll get an initial boost, but also come under more scrutiny again. My impression FWIW is that he'd have a good shot but fall short unless Clinton's effort imploded.

On the GOP side, TimT is of course right that most of us see the GOP field (the agreeable Kasich excepted) as a bit weird for political/irreligious reasons. Some of them - Rubio, for instance - look genuinely solid candidates, careful in what they say but forceful all the same. Some do look out of their depth, though - with the best will in the world, Carson seemed to me in the first debate completely at sea, yet he's up there among the leaders. There seems to be a risk that they'll pick a weak candidate just because he has a spurt singling him or her out as the "stop Trump" candidate.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Sadly predictable.

Corbyn backs united Ireland in setback for peace process http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4566131.ece
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,207

- football bungs

#kowtow

I am very pleased to read that, Mr. Brooke. I had thought it was only me that felt Osborne's trip and announcements were daft, if not completely bonkers. I was beginning to fear that I was losing my marbles as so many people seem to think that giving China bungs was a good idea and inviting them to come and asset strip even better.

Once upon a time British nuclear (and other) engineers were among the world’s best. What’s happened?
    And why is a Conservative Government disposing of British interest in industry in this fashion?
    I think as the years roll on, Mr. Cole, I think we agree on more and more. On what has happened to the UK engineering base I think the answer may lie with Mr. Southam's oft repeated message. We still have great engineers, some of the best anywhere, what we also have is piss poor strategic level managers who are unprepared to consider the long term. The UK's main failure has been for many decades its in ability to produce top quality management. In recent years, with the advent of the fantastically remunerated corporate superstars, the situation seems to have only gotten worse.
    We have also sold everything to foreign countries/companies , public and private.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited September 2015
    In the Times today Corbyn confirms he will oppose the benefits cap completely, oppose Trident renewal if Conference does and also refuses to commit to meet any business leaders at Conference focusing on members
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220

tlg86 said:

F1: just a reminder that the timezone difference means the pre-qualifying piece will be up tomorrow.

Qualifying is at 6am on Saturday. The race start is 5am on Sunday. The reason for the quite early start is to give more daylight towards the end of the race, particularly if it's extended due to a red flag, following the accident Bianchi suffered last year (this early start time applies to a couple of other races as well, I think).

I see Red Bull are throwing their toys out of the pram once again:
    http://planetf1.com/news/red-bull-want-engine-parity-with-ferrari/

I'm starting to think that F1 will be better off without their involvement, *if* the team can be saved.

Demanding engine parity, ffs. If they really wanted that then they should just develop their own engine or, just perhaps, not treat the engine supplier with which they had four years of success so disgracefully.

Who'd want to supply them given the way they've treated Renault?
    So, I don't follow it as closely as I used to, but in the lead up to the new rules I definitely got the sense that the rules had been designed by Mercedes. The problem is there is not in season testing or development. You have what you have, which means after the first race we know who's won.
    I'm not sure you can say the rules were designed by Mercedes. They just developed an innovative engine according to those rules, seeing an approach that the other engine manufacturers did not see. The engine homogenization rules then made it hard for their rivals to respond.
    They were certainly lobbying for the rules to be as they are - just like the other teams lobby for what they want. What's killed the sport is the lack of development in season and tarmac runoff areas.
  • Options

"The big political issue that the book has raised is the timing of Cameron’s knowledge of Lord Ashcroft non Dom status. That could go on."

Yes, but it will only really have heat if Ashcroft has documentary evidence (e.g. emails) between the two of them indicating that Cameron knew. Otherwise it becomes a case of conflicting testimonies, and the fact that Ashcroft is obviously suffering from some form of revenge madness damages his testimony.

Even if Cameron hadn't been telling the truth about Ashcroft's non-dom status, if wouldn't really matter now. It's a Westminster story from years ago involving an embittered ex-colleague and a PM who's not going to stand for election again. I doubt the general public would care much, if at all. And there's no compelling evidence to suggest Cameron was lying.

Labour played the Ashcroft card continually, as far back as pre-2005. It made little difference then; it will make less now given that Ashcroft's influence is now nil or negative.

If he didn't tell the truth he lied. That may not harm him politically, but it will still be the case. Surely that matters in some way.

It ought to, and on an ethical level it does - if, of course, there was a lie at all and that remains far from proven. But on a practical political level, I don't think there's any mileage in it.
  • Options
    The bit about votes at conference being binding policy is epically good news - for the Tories.
    HYUFD said:

In the Times today Corbyn confirms he will oppose the benefits cap completely, oppose Trident renewal if Conference does and also refuses to commit to meet any business leaders at Conference focusing on members

• Options

- football bungs

#kowtow

I tend to think that blaming the managers in totality is wrong. What we suffer from here in the UK, from politics, through finance, and then management, is short-termist thinking. People think of the next year, rather than the next ten or twenty. In some ways that is good, as if you don't concentrate on the next year, the company will not be around in ten or twenty. But in other ways it is terrible, as the organisation is not ready to face the future.

One company I was sort-of involved with (at the grunt level) was having terrible trouble financing a long-term project that would take seven years to pay back. Eventually they went down the VC route, which they really wanted to avoid.

This short-termist thinking is everywhere. If we were thinking long-term then HS2 would be a no-brainer, as would HS2. :)
  • Options

If you believe the Ashcroft Indy ref account - and there seems no reason not to - it is clear that Cameron was/is a committed Unionist, strongly identifies as British and understood the enormity of the consequences of a Yes vote and that he would have resigned if No had lost. That stands to reason - you can't preside over the break-up of a 300 year old state and carry on regardless.

Moving forward that tells us:
    1. There will be no further Westminster-sanctioned Indy referendums while he is PM.
    2. The government is likely to give ground on the Scotland Act.
    3. Whoever takes over as PM is going to be crucial to whether the Union survives. Osborne probably cares, Boris probably doesn't.

I expect it'll all be over in 10 years.

Boris is a unionist FFA will be the end point Quebec is still in Canada after two referenda
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    The "real juicy bits" were a made up story with no journalistic backup, and exagerrating what some generals said.
  • Options

The bit about votes at conference being binding policy is epically good news - for the Tories.

HYUFD said:

Yes although union votes may back Trident against Corbyn loyalists
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning all:
    For those interested, the UKIP conference is being covered by the Parliament channel. Starts about 10:00am this morning I believe.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I think the revelation that the Queen did indeed interfere in the referendum at the behest of Cameron is a major story even if it does not resonate within the M25. Trying to define how far she could go by leaks which were then reported as royal sources in purdah period broke many rules.
    Queen Elizabeth the First of Britain is clearly Queen Elizabeth the Second of England at heart. Fair enough, but do not complain when royalty despite Witchell's fawnings continues to be as popular as a fart in a spacesuit north of the Tweed.

Total turnips.

There is precisely no evidence that the Queen intervened in the campaign. Speculation, gossip and "leaks" make a weak case risible.

The Queen is also Elizabeth II as the higher regnal number is used from the former kingdoms of England and Scotland.

I fear the only "fart" on display is the one your brain caused to write such nonsense.

• Options
    Mr. Jessop, I hadn't heard that.

Are they taking the piss? Red Bull is not the sun around which F1 revolves. Ferrari has been extremely generous offering a competitor an engine, given that the infrastructure and staff are not really set up for an extra team (or even two teams, unsure of Toro Rossos situation).

I agree that F1 is better off without the bitching of Red Bull. They had four years of total dominance and never mentioned Renault. One year of 'moderate' success (3 wins), and one 'bad' year (only a few podium finishes) and they're in open warfare with their engine supplier.

McLaren's been kinder to Honda.

Mr. 86, the engine rules were agreed upon. Mercedes simply did a better job and spent longer developing their engine (which may be why Hamilton went there). Ferrari are catching Mercedes, after all.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

- football bungs

#kowtow

One company I was sort-of involved with (at the grunt level) was having terrible trouble financing a long-term project that would take seven years to pay back. Eventually they went down the VC route, which they really wanted to avoid.

This short-termist thinking is everywhere. If we were thinking long-term then HS2 would be a no-brainer, as would HS2. :)
    Good morning all. I have to agree with your points. However, you do not get promoted or rewarded for taking a long term view. As I've mentioned recently, the public sector has five-year spending rounds. In the private sector, I've always struggled to get support for a business case where the payback is north of three years.

Metrics drive behaviour. If you want long term thinking, it has to be rewarded. Currently it isn't, and I see no trend that will change that. In fact, the trends are in the other direction - who knows what the world will be like in five years?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

As ever, the public chose to disappoint and decided that they simply didn't want some ban the bomb, high tax, high welfare politician having a significant say.

I agree that Miliband was left wing economically, but he was in favour of trident I thought ?
    I was alluding to Sturgeon.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,188
    MikeK said:

Good morning all:
    For those interested, the UKIP conference is being covered by the Parliament channel. Starts about 10:00am this morning I believe.

A year ago, UKIP had such high hopes, with their two MP's set to become over a hundred (ahem...)....the ruins of the Conservative Party was to be their first great scalp on the road to office.

Now people just point and laugh. Where did it all go so wrong leader former leader leader Nigel Farage?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The big political issue that the book has raised is the timing of Cameron’s knowledge of Lord Ashcroft non Dom status. That could go on.

Yes, but. Politically it is the most damaging, but since its been buried in a tidal wave of effluent and trivia it will be easy to bat away with 'How can anyone believe anything from an author who claims x y & z.....'

The figures showed that activity at A&E departments was at its lowest level for July in the past five years, with staff dealing with 131,948 cases.

Well done, NHS Scotland!
    We are all strapping healthy specimens now and don't need to visit A&E.
    I expect the growing life expectancy gap to close then.....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well done, NHS Scotland!
    Can you not read , activity = patients, clue , lowest in 3 years means less needing treatment and all treated much quicker.
    So on a lower bar, they are still worse than three years ago :D
    Just that they are the best of the four Health Services.
    Link?

• Options

MikeK said:

Good morning all:

A year ago, UKIP had such high hopes, with their two MP's set to become over a hundred (ahem...)....the ruins of the Conservative Party was to be their first great scalp on the road to office.

Now people just point and laugh. Where did it all go so wrong leader former leader leader Nigel Farage?
    The damage was probably done early on when he didn't go to Oxford and join the pigf*cking society.
  • Options

I tend to think that blaming the managers in totality is wrong. What we suffer from here in the UK, from politics, through finance, and then management, is short-termist thinking. People think of the next year, rather than the next ten or twenty. In some ways that is good, as if you don't concentrate on the next year, the company will not be around in ten or twenty. But in other ways it is terrible, as the organisation is not ready to face the future.

Mr. J., I fully agree on the short-termism of senior people in the UK. It is understandable because people will think in terms of their reward cycle. Someone on a rolling short term contract in which success is measured in terms of share price will concentrate on boosting share price in the short term and if the company ceases to exist in ten years it is not a problem to them. It is however a mindset which the UK needs to break.

The answer I think lies in a drastic reform of the rules of corporate ownership and governance. However to get to that one would first need to find politicians who are prepared to think about the long term in the first place. The Conservative Party is currently in a position whereby they might, might, be in a position to think in terms beyond the next election - certainly as far out as 2025. Unfortunately the lead would have to come from George Osborne and he doesn't seem to have a clue.

P.S. If we were really serious about HS2 then we wouldn't be thinking of terminating the trains miles from the centre of London and taking 16 years to re-develop half of Euston Station. Really that project is now just descending into farce. Its business case is in tatters and none of the promised benefits, save maybe that of more capacity, are likely to be delivered. Rather than inviting the Chinese to come and build it Osborne would be better putting it out of its misery.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Good morning all:

The damage was probably done early on when he didn't go to Oxford and join the pigf*cking society.
    Ah bless.
  • Options

Just to clarify: that last HS2 should be 'Boris Island'.
  • Options
    Greens whine about killing terrorist scum who want to foster murder and mayhem in the UK:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34339925

The idea of always needing a vote before military action is ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

MikeK said:

Good morning all:

EU ref is their chance
  • Options
    Re earlier conversations about lies, I was a candidate in the GE, I was (perhaps naively) amazed at how people lie almost as a matter of course. I spoke to some young campaigners about the leaflets they were distributing and questioned some of the "facts". The reply was "I don't what you're worried about, we all tell lies".

Within politics being dishonest is a given, accusing Cameron of telling lies won't affect things in the slightest beyond causing him a bit of embarrassment.
  • Options
    Umm. Another vote winner.
    Labour's vegan farming minister's bright idea: Treat meat eaters like smokers and start campaign to stop people eating it

Kerry McCarthy speaking to a vegan magazine when shared views on meat
    'Really believes' that it should be 'treated in exactly same way as tobacco'
    She'd like to see campaigns actively encouraging meat eaters to give it up
    Says farmers have to live by and 'risk dying by' movements in the market

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3247000/Labour-s-vegan-farming-minister-s-bright-idea-Treat-meat-eaters-like-smokers-start-campaign-stop-people-eating-it.html#ixzz3mdqkHKgR
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options

MikeK said:

Good morning all:

You may point and laugh, 4m people didn't, polls show support holding up, nearer elections it will grow again with more publicity and the EU unravelling.

• Options

Mr. J., I fully agree on the short-termism of senior people in the UK. It is understandable because people will think in terms of their reward cycle. Someone on a rolling short term contract in which success is measured in terms of share price will concentrate on boosting share price in the short term and if the company ceases to exist in ten years it is not a problem to them. It is however a mindset which the UK needs to break.

The answer I think lies in a drastic reform of the rules of corporate ownership and governance. However to get to that one would first need to find politicians who are prepared to think about the long term in the first place. The Conservative Party is currently in a position whereby they might, might, be in a position to think in terms beyond the next election - certainly as far out as 2025. Unfortunately the lead would have to come from George Osborne and he doesn't seem to have a clue.

P.S. If we were really serious about HS2 then we wouldn't be thinking of terminating the trains miles from the centre of London and taking 16 years to re-develop half of Euston Station. Really that project is now just descending into farce. Its business case is in tatters and none of the promised benefits, save maybe that of more capacity, are likely to be delivered. Rather than inviting the Chinese to come and build it Osborne would be better putting it out of its misery.

That last paragraph illustrates the problem. I know you don't like HS2. Yet there is a problem that is well defined, and is becoming more obvious as time continues and traffic levels continue to climb.

You are taking reports from a notoriously anti-HS2 journalist and giving them currency. Yet you do not have a single alternative to the project which, if you believe the need is there (*), is vital. Instead you complain about the time it will take to develop.

That's short-termist thinking writ large. If HS2 is not built, and nothing else done to solve the problems, our economy will be hurt.

I'd argue the same thing about Boris Island. We need to be thinking fifty years in the future, not twenty. Yet the BI argument is lost, and I'm reluctantly supporting Heathrow expansion, as even a kludge is better then further delays.

(*) Admittedly some do not. I think they're wrong.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I think the revelation that the Queen did indeed interfere in the referendum at the behest of Cameron is a major story even if it does not resonate within the M25. Trying to define how far she could go by leaks which were then reported as royal sources in purdah period broke many rules.
    Queen Elizabeth the First of Britain is clearly Queen Elizabeth the Second of England at heart. Fair enough, but do not complain when royalty despite Witchell's fawnings continues to be as popular as a fart in a spacesuit north of the Tweed.

Total turnips.

There is precisely no evidence that the Queen intervened in the campaign. Speculation, gossip and "leaks" make a weak case risible.

The Queen is also Elizabeth II as the higher regnal number is used from the former kingdoms of England and Scotland.

I fear the only "fart" on display is the one your brain caused to write such nonsense.

The Queen is also descended from Mary Queen of Scots though the Duke of Bavaria was suggested as the last Jacobite contender for the throne of Scotland
  • Options

Is it just me that thinks sixteen years to redevelop half of a station is a ludicrously long time. It should be possible to do in a fraction of that time.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited September 2015

MikeK said:

Good morning all:

All political parties have supporters who make ridiculous predictions and statements. But it is far more amusing for people to claim individual member's views are the party's views, e.g. gay people cause floods. Shame completely irrelevant members of the LibLabCon don't get similar treatment as there would be enough front page stories to last a decade.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,124
    Mr Jessop, Mr Llama, to be fair, it’s not only private industry, although I do agree with Mr L that majorityy shareholding by investment funds doesn’t seem to be "doing it" in the long term. When I was helping to spend NHS monies we had budgets which lasted one year only. Good, innovative ideas and practices would sometimes be abandoned in favour of the next “flavour of the month”!
    It also applies to grants by charitable organisations and other grant-awarding bodies. When involved with CAB I used to compalin that many people were happy to give us an elephant, and it’s feed for a year, but no-one would give us the hay it needed the next year!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043
    'Putin and Assad have made fools of the West
    Our Syria plans have been a total shambles – leaving a vacuum for Russia's

At the outset of Syria’s brutal four-year civil war, I was an almost unique voice in the British media deploring the push to depose the secular dictator President Bashar al-Assad, especially in the absence of a genuinely popular uprising against him. Here in The Spectator I tried to point out that such a short-term strategy would have devastating long-term consequences. Assad, I argued, would not fall, because the people of Damascus would not rise up against him. The so-called secular rebels were in fact vicious Islamists in disguise. Western interests in the region would be dramatically undermined by Saudi and Iranian militias, who would fight a devastating proxy war. Syria’s extraordinarily diverse population risked annihilation as a result. And we could even end up provoking a full-blown war with Russia.'

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9643672/putin-and-assad-have-made-fools-of-the-west/
  • Options
    Miss Plato, if Labour want to stop me eating ham sandwiches they can piss off. I doubt that'll become official party policy, though.
  • Options

That last paragraph illustrates the problem. I know you don't like HS2. Yet there is a problem that is well defined, and is becoming more obvious as time continues and traffic levels continue to climb.

You are taking reports from a notoriously anti-HS2 journalist and giving them currency. Yet you do not have a single alternative to the project which, if you believe the need is there (*), is vital. Instead you complain about the time it will take to develop.

That's short-termist thinking writ large. If HS2 is not built, and nothing else done to solve the problems, our economy will be hurt.

I'd argue the same thing about Boris Island. We need to be thinking fifty years in the future, not twenty. Yet the BI argument is lost, and I'm reluctantly supporting Heathrow expansion, as even a kludge is better then further delays.

Alas, Mr. Jessop, I fear I phrased my comments on HS2 badly and as a result left you with a false impression. If we are going to do a North South high speed line (I don't think we should but that is another matter) then for heaven's sake let us do it properly. This faffing about with stations miles away from where people actually want to get to is a nonsense.

As for Boris Island, I agree with you - it should be built. There are, I think, two major stumbling blocks - the birds and the Dutch. The Cloggies can be bought off or just told to get stuffed. The birds I am not so sure about, they killed off the Maplin Sands plan forty years ago, and I don't see a way of getting around them this time. However we have some very clever people and some one will think of a solution if the will is there.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I hadn't heard that.

Are they taking the piss? Red Bull is not the sun around which F1 revolves. Ferrari has been extremely generous offering a competitor an engine, given that the infrastructure and staff are not really set up for an extra team (or even two teams, unsure of Toro Rossos situation).

I agree that F1 is better off without the bitching of Red Bull. They had four years of total dominance and never mentioned Renault. One year of 'moderate' success (3 wins), and one 'bad' year (only a few podium finishes) and they're in open warfare with their engine supplier.

McLaren's been kinder to Honda.

Mr. 86, the engine rules were agreed upon. Mercedes simply did a better job and spent longer developing their engine (which may be why Hamilton went there). Ferrari are catching Mercedes, after all.

They are indeed taking the piss. I'm furious with their behaviour. It's like they believe they have a right to be at the top of the F1 tree.

Compare and contrast with Williams, who were at the top of the tree for many years before falling. Yet they've plodded on with relatively few tears and tantrums. It's because they live and breathe F1, rather than being lightweights who are just using F1 for publicity.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, aye. Williams have had one win in about a decade, came second to last a few years ago, and have sorted themselves out.

I wouldn't say I'm furious, but I am bored of the bleating.
  • Options

Alas, Mr. Jessop, I fear I phrased my comments on HS2 badly and as a result left you with a false impression. If we are going to do a North South high speed line (I don't think we should but that is another matter) then for heaven's sake let us do it properly. This faffing about with stations miles away from where people actually want to get to is a nonsense.

As for Boris Island, I agree with you - it should be built. There are, I think, two major stumbling blocks - the birds and the Dutch. The Cloggies can be bought off or just told to get stuffed. The birds I am not so sure about, they killed off the Maplin Sands plan forty years ago, and I don't see a way of getting around them this time. However we have some very clever people and some one will think of a solution if the will is there.
    I don’t think the Dutch care much one way or the other, apart from the fact that another substantial airport in the area would be in competition with Schipol. Howevfer, as presumably, LHR would be reduced in size and scope the net effect on Schipol would be small.

There’s also the nagging problem of the sunken ammunition ship off Sheerness.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220

It's because they live and breathe F1, rather than being lightweights who are just using F1 for publicity.

Agreed - but remember that Red Bull stuck around during the crash - unlike BMW and Toyota. If things go wrong for Mercedes they'll be gone in a flash.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027
    Good conference speech from what I could work out by Farron yesterday, the Lib Dems are about as relevant as the Greens on current polling though.

Bonkers from Kerry McCarthy regarding farming, though I do share her concerns on the CAP - and the morning news was poor optics for George Osborne with the China/Steel juxtaposition.

I can feel my inner @AlanBrooke coming out this morning ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

HYUFD said:

If votes at conference will be binding how can he come firm he will support or oppose anything right now? I think we can be sure much of them will agree with him, but maybe they won't.
  • Options

Fair enough on both points.

As a side issue, I would point out that many early railway lines went between end-points passing through relatively rural areas and development followed. The GWR went from London to Bristol avoiding most settlements aside from Bath and Reading. Swindon was built on the back of the railways. Likewise, Derby's station is a mile from the historic centre, yet the city's centre of gravity moved towards the railway, especially in recent years. The same could be said for Cambridge.

Personally, I would take HS2 through Derby and Sheffield, but I can understand why they made the decisions they did (the Derby decision in particular sounds particularly close).

If you want to maximise rewards from development, you have to put the lines in area where they can be developed. Old Oak Common, Toton and even Meadowhall offer massive redevelopment opportunities, and that improves the business case.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    edited September 2015

"The big political issue that the book has raised is the timing of Cameron’s knowledge of Lord Ashcroft non Dom status. That could go on."

Yes, but it will only really have heat if Ashcroft has documentary evidence (e.g. emails) between the two of them indicating that Cameron knew. Otherwise it becomes a case of conflicting testimonies, and the fact that Ashcroft is obviously suffering from some form of revenge madness damages his testimony.

Even if Cameron hadn't been telling the truth about Ashcroft's non-dom status, if wouldn't really matter now. It's a Westminster story from years ago involving an embittered ex-colleague and a PM who's not going to stand for election again. I doubt the general public would care much, if at all. And there's no compelling evidence to suggest Cameron was lying.

Labour played the Ashcroft card continually, as far back as pre-2005. It made little difference then; it will make less now given that Ashcroft's influence is now nil or negative.

If he didn't tell the truth he lied. That may not harm him politically, but it will still be the case. Surely that matters in some way.

It ought to, and on an ethical level it does - if, of course, there was a lie at all and that remains far from proven. But on a practical political level, I don't think there's any mileage in it.
    If that were the case JC's dissembling and triangulations would have finished him by now.

(Roughly)

'Are your links to these Hamas acceptable, bearing in mind that they believe the Protocols of the Elders of Zion?'

'How dare you call me an antisemite'

Would be nice if it did, but this is life and it is all grey and grimy.
  • Options

Clinton seems to have re-established a clear lead in Iowa, even though her national figures aren't overwhelming - it's hard to see Sanders really overtaking her. Biden is another matter - if he runs, he'll get an initial boost, but also come under more scrutiny again. My impression FWIW is that he'd have a good shot but fall short unless Clinton's effort imploded.

On the GOP side, TimT is of course right that most of us see the GOP field (the agreeable Kasich excepted) as a bit weird for political/irreligious reasons. Some of them - Rubio, for instance - look genuinely solid candidates, careful in what they say but forceful all the same. Some do look out of their depth, though - with the best will in the world, Carson seemed to me in the first debate completely at sea, yet he's up there among the leaders. There seems to be a risk that they'll pick a weak candidate just because he has a spurt singling him or her out as the "stop Trump" candidate.

Rubio is a credible serious and articulate candidate IMHO, who should also be conservative enough to mobilise the Republican base but pragmatic enough to also win over floaters.

I don't buy the whole 'he has no chance because he's hispanic' lark, but I am surprised he hasn't got more traction in the race so far.

I'm still backing him. I think he could edge out over Clinton.
  • Options
    JackW said:

What chance an heir to the throne being named James, David, or indeed Malcolm? Miniscule to f.all. Can't have the Jocks considering they have any sort of primacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

As a side issue, I would point out that many early railway lines went between end-points passing through relatively rural areas and development followed. The GWR went from London to Bristol avoiding most settlements aside from Bath and Reading. Swindon was built on the back of the railways. Likewise, Derby's station is a mile from the historic centre, yet the city's centre of gravity moved towards the railway, especially in recent years. The same could be said for Cambridge.

Personally, I would take HS2 through Derby and Sheffield, but I can understand why they made the decisions they did (the Derby decision in particular sounds particularly close).

If you want to maximise rewards from development, you have to put the lines in area where they can be developed. Old Oak Common, Toton and even Meadowhall offer massive redevelopment opportunities, and that improves the business case.
    I’m not an expert on Victorian railway building but wasn’t there opposition to lines from both landowners and towns on grounds of noise? Hence the sometimes bizarre routes.
  • Options

I don’t think the Dutch care much one way or the other, apart from the fact that another substantial airport in the area would be in competition with Schipol. Howevfer, as presumably, LHR would be reduced in size and scope the net effect on Schipol would be small.

Something should have been done about the Montgomery decades ago. The longer we leave it, the more expensive it will get, and potentially the more danger there is.
  • Options

JackW said:

What chance an heir to the throne being named James, David, or indeed Malcolm? Miniscule to f.all. Can't have the Jocks considering they have any sort of primacy.
    David Cameron sounds quite Scottish to me. Gordon Brown was Scottish. Tony Blair also had a Scottish name.

So the last three UK Prime Ministers have either been Scottish or have Scottish ancestry. Not bad for a nation that has <10% of the population of the UK IMHO.

Scotland punches above its weight in the Union and, through it, on the global stage too.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, it's not teams leaving or selling that's the issue. It's the entitled foot-stamping which annoys people. Jaguar left, and that was fine, as did BMW and Toyota. I don't recall this whining from them, however.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

JackW said:

... or indeed Malcolm?
    'Arise King Turnip of Brasso.'

(Drunken fool staggers briefly to his feet, before collapsing backwards onto his fat erchie).

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043
    edited September 2015
    22% of Syrians think ISIS are a positive influence, over 80% think they are a western made group

http://www.opinion.co.uk/article.php?s=orbiiacss-poll-in-iraq-and-syria-gives-rare-insight-into-public-opinion
  • Options

Mr. Cole, I think the problem with the Dutch is not competition so much as conflicting air-space. As I understand it a Boris Island will, due to prevailing winds, need aeroplanes to come in from the East where they will be in the same space as those taking off from Schipol.

The ammo ship is a problem, but one which money will solve and with the amount that Boris Island will cost there will be sufficient funds available.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    Listened to a bit of Lib Dem conference.

My reaction to Tim Farron's speech is yes-but-no-but-yes-but-know, not helped that when he does his folksy bit I expect him to whip out a ukelele and start signing about "cleaning winders" because it sounds like George Formby.
  • Options
    Today Programme was a bit of a shambles this morning. First up, they couldn't get their heads around the difference between Chinese money being invested in the UK and Chinese contractors winning contracts from the UK. Then they got all mixed up on the small matter of 1,200 deaths in Qatar, resulting in their interviewee walking out.
  • Options

Something should have been done about the Montgomery decades ago. The longer we leave it, the more expensive it will get, and potentially the more danger there is.
    Perfectly true, but what? I lived in the area for many years and the general understanding was that if you left it alone nothing might happen but if you tried to do anything about it something would!
  • Options
    F1: not news, but worth repeating given the engine chatter: Manor may well have a Mercedes engine next year. Could have the chance for snaffling the odd points, if that's the case.
  • Options

JackW said:

Edward VIII was known as 'David' prior to his accession. There's no reason why he couldn't have chosen it as his regnal name.

Prince George - who stands an excellent chance of becoming king - also has Alexander as one of his names should he opt not to go with the thoroughly boring first name he's been given (and the only realistic alternative given that Louis is probably out of bounds).
  • Options

I’m not an expert on Victorian railway building but wasn’t there opposition to lines from both landowners and towns on grounds of noise? Hence the sometimes bizarre routes.

The "Frighten the horses" argument.

It was more complex than that. If I recall correctly, some landowners *wanted* the railways across their land, especially if they had invested in the minerals industry, and were willing to invest in the companies to influence the route in their favour. As an example, some landowners on the planned route of the first modern railway, the Stockton and Darlington, were in favour, whilst others caused expensive diversions.

Other objections on later railways were based in genuine concerns, or sometimes simply because they wanted the company to pay more for their land.

In extreme cases such as the Duke of Rutland at Haddon Hall in Derbyshire, the railway was put in a very shallow cut-and-cover tunnel so it could not be seen from the hall, at the cost of the lives of several construction workers.

The railway manias were truly mad occasions, and utterly fascinating from a historical perspective, especially as the same sort of thing seems to occur every couple of decades (e.g. the Dot-com bubble).
  • Options

Perfectly true, but what? I lived in the area for many years and the general understanding was that if you left it alone nothing might happen but if you tried to do anything about it something would!
    A good question! I believe some people have concepts. A complicating factor is the growth of the amount of large shipping in the Thames.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027

Like asbestos :D ?
  • Options

Alas

Business cases over 20-30 years+ are works of fiction anyway. No one has a scooby-do what will happen over that sort of timescale. What happens is that you agree a base set of assumptions for a traffic model and then do a simple extrapolation to low-medium-high growth traffic scenarios. It looks scientific but is basically finger in the air stuff.

For strategic infrastructure, that can alter the economic geography of the country, it could be anything from white elephant to roaring success that hits capacity way ahead of plans - think Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf that only opened in 1999 - sometimes you just have to take an intelligent punt.

If you'd had to write business cases subject to public/judicial review in the 1840s we'd never have built any railways at all. Instead there was an investors prospectus, a sense of the way the wind was blowing, with some important early successes, and a desire not to be left out.
  • Options

JackW said:

David Cameron sounds quite Scottish to me. Gordon Brown was Scottish. Tony Blair also had a Scottish name.

So the last three UK Prime Ministers have either been Scottish or have Scottish ancestry. Not bad for a nation that has <10% of the population of the UK IMHO.

Scotland punches above its weight in the Union and, through it, on the global stage too.</p>
    Hey, I was just dipping into the dynasty worship society (is there an initiation ritual, I wonder?) so beloved of your sort. The names/origins of elected politicians is neither here nor there.
  • Options

Mr. Cole, I think the problem with the Dutch is not competition so much as conflicting air-space. As I understand it a Boris Island will, due to prevailing winds, need aeroplanes to come in from the East where they will be in the same space as those taking off from Schipol.

The ammo ship is a problem, but one which money will solve and with the amount that Boris Island will cost there will be sufficient funds available.
    Isn’t BI’s holding area S of Schipol’s? Quite a lot of planes from SE Asia come into LHR over Flanders.

Otherwise, see my reply to Mr J.
  • Options

JackW said:

Scotland punches above its weight in the Union and, through it, on the global stage too.</p>
    Blair was born in Scotland and educated in Scotland.

He's as Scottish as a ginger wig and kilts.
  • Options

Rubio is a credible serious and articulate candidate IMHO, who should also be conservative enough to mobilise the Republican base but pragmatic enough to also win over floaters.

I don't buy the whole 'he has no chance because he's hispanic' lark, but I am surprised he hasn't got more traction in the race so far.

I'm still backing him. I think he could edge out over Clinton.
    Rubio is from Florida so might need Bush to drop out, as the latter seems to have sewn up the local establishment. Cruz is also in the field, so being Hispanic is not a USP at this stage.

Rubio does look a bit young for a presidential candidate (and I mean he looks younger than his years). He might be a credible VP pick if a northern candidate wins.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    PClipp said:

felix said:

Also makes Tim Farron' s speech yesterday look even more mind-numbingly stupid. All we need now is for Labour to abandon the welfare cap and Trident at their conference....

Mr Felix, I have the impression that you are a hard-line reactionary Tory, so I would not expect you to be impressed by Tim Farron. But perhaps he was not expecting you and your kind to be persuaded. Possibly, just possibly, he was trying to appeal to a more liberal kind of voter.
    Mr. Clipp - I get the feeling that you are a Liberal wetter than the Pacific but I thought Mr Farron was just an all round good guy who wouldn't stoop to court votes in a way that might pollute his moral virtue. thank you for showing me he's just a grubby politician like the rest.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Like asbestos :D ?
    As a metter of fact, that’s often the case with buildings. You don’t try and do anything with “enclosed” asbestos until it isn’t going to be enclosed any longer.
  • Options

JackW said:

Edward VIII was known as 'David' prior to his accession. There's no reason why he couldn't have chosen it as his regnal name.

Prince George - who stands an excellent chance of becoming king - also has Alexander as one of his names should he opt not to go with the thoroughly boring first name he's been given (and the only realistic alternative given that Louis is probably out of bounds).
    So, form versus hypothetical? As a bettor which would you go with?
    The prospect of Eck IV is entertaining though.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    A solution to the immigration crisis - send them all to Manchester.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3247005/Send-home-Iran-t-stand-Manchester-Illegal-immigrant-begs-kicked-UK-handing-police-station.html

(The guy is a wuss, I have stuck it out in Manchester for 25 years)
  • Options

JackW said:

Hey, I was just dipping into the dynasty worship society (is there an initiation ritual, I wonder?) so beloved of your sort. The names/origins of elected politicians is neither here nor there.
    Hey, I was just dipping into the contrived grievances and victimhood so beloved of your sort.

You do also realise HMQ is from a Scottish dynasty and is half-Scottish herself, with a Scottish mother, don't you?
  • Options

JackW said:

Hypothetical is all we have to go on; there is no form - the convention was established after the current queen became monarch so there've been no instances since it came into being.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,380
    edited September 2015

JackW said:

Hey, I was just dipping into the contrived grievances and victimhood so beloved of your sort.

You do also realise HMQ is from a Scottish dynasty and is half-Scottish herself, with a Scottish mother, don't you?
    Oh dear, I fear you're working yourself up to a 'dickstain'.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,808
    edited September 2015

JackW said:

What the nats object to is any high-profile aspect or symbol of the British state. They particularly dislike icons of it that can stir positive emotions in Scots because they compete for the affections and loyalties of ordinary Scots against the saltire and their exalted leader on earth - Nicola Sturgeon. May peace be upon her.

That's why they get so angry and rude about it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

Umm. Another vote winner.

Labour's vegan farming minister's bright idea: Treat meat eaters like smokers and start campaign to stop people eating it

Kerry McCarthy speaking to a vegan magazine when shared views on meat
    'Really believes' that it should be 'treated in exactly same way as tobacco'
    She'd like to see campaigns actively encouraging meat eaters to give it up
    Says farmers have to live by and 'risk dying by' movements in the market
    This is quite brilliant, hopefully the Labour Party will adopt this anti-bacon stance, a sure fire vote winner if ever I've seen one.
  • Options

JackW said:

What’s wrong with Anglicising it to Lewis, which means, according to something or other on the internet “renowned warrior”. Not that, probably, by the time he comes to the throne I’ll be in a position to care one way or the other!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,689
    edited September 2015
    If I were about to become King of this country, I'd give serious thought to Longshanks as my regnal name.

That said the name should be something that reflects the country, so probably Mohammed I.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,380
    edited September 2015

JackW said:

Hypothetical is all we have to go on; there is no form - the convention was established after the current queen became monarch so there've been no instances since it came into being.
    You mentioned Edward VIII..
    Were you suggesting hypothetically that he might have been David I or David III?
  • Options

If I were about to become King of this country, I'd give serious thought Longshanks to as my regnal name.

That said the name should be something that reflects the country, so probably Mohammed I.

Trolling the SNP and UKIP in the same post? Quite an achievement!
  • Options

JackW said:

Nah. I've got a long way to go until I reach your level.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    HYUFD said:

All falling nicely into place. :)
  • Options

JackW said:

What the nats object to is any high-profile aspect or symbol of the British state. They particularly dislike icons of it that can stir positive emotions in Scots because they compete for the affections and loyalties of ordinary Scots against the saltire and their exalted leader on earth - Nicola Sturgeon. May peace be upon her.

Mike and I have made it PB policy that all future Scotland threads will use this picture going forward

http://dailym.ai/1OU7T4c

or maybe this

http://bit.ly/1L7NZCT
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

:)

On topic: Mike said "The “revelations” from Day 4 of the Daily Mail’s serialisation of Lord Ashcroft’s unofficial biography of Mr Cameron don’t quite have the potency of what we saw earlier in the week."

Given that the responses in the thread are talking about almost anything other than Lord Ashcroft's little vendetta, I suspect that Mike's analysis of "... quite have the potency ..." may be an understatement.
  • Options

If I were about to become King of this country, I'd give serious thought Longshanks to as my regnal name.

I'm about to go to a mosque for the first time in ages, I'm allowed to have some fun before I have to do penance.
  • Options
    IMO Conferences are possibly the worst place to make decisions - all group think echo chamber stuff.
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

All falling nicely into place. :)
  • Options

JackW said:

Very true. If you try & try, one day you might not be a whiny hypocrite.
  • Options

JackW said:

Mike and I have made it PB policy that all future Scotland threads will use this picture going forward

or maybe this

Nicola looks as though she’s about to bite in the first picture and that’s a very disapproving face on the Queen in the second.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    Casino - according tot he latest extracts Cameron's fondness for Scotland stretches as far as hunting and grouse moors. Nothing it would appear for the Scottish people themselves. As for Blair I've never got any sense he had much love of the place. He offered devolution because he was afraid of the SNP and thought independence could be bought off.
  • Options

Business cases over 20-30 years+ are works of fiction anyway. No one has a scooby-do what will happen over that sort of timescale. What happens is that you agree a base set of assumptions for a traffic model and then do a simple extrapolation to low-medium-high growth traffic scenarios. It looks scientific but is basically finger in the air stuff.

For strategic infrastructure, that can alter the economic geography of the country, it could be anything from white elephant to roaring success that hits capacity way ahead of plans - think Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf that only opened in 1999 - sometimes you just have to take an intelligent punt.

If you'd had to write business cases subject to public/judicial review in the 1840s we'd never have built any railways at all. Instead there was an investors prospectus, a sense of the way the wind was blowing, with some important early successes, and a desire not to be left out.

I agree with all of that, and especially the business case point. In fact, that's the same for any investment: there are few (any) investments that you can be 100% sure will pay off, and you have to make punts based on (hopefully intelligent) reasoning. Can we be sure that Crossrail will be a success for the economy as a whole? No. But few particularly doubt it.

There are also the costs of not doing something, and that is often forgotten. The motorway network has been a huge success with some caveats (mainly due to capacity issues), but it was massively costly. Yet if we had not built that network the country's economy would be nowhere near what it is.

IMO infrastructure works best when it is done not just for its own reasons, but to enable further investments. That was accidentally the case for many early railways: their presence enabled new mines and industries to spring up due to the fact that goods could be transported more cheaply. This in turn increased traffic on the routes, and allowed new routes to be opened. To a certain extent the two fed off each other. The railways were enablers.

It should also be noted that many investors in the two railway manias lost their shirts, but in many cases we are still reaping the advantage from their losses.
  • Options

I'm about to go to a mosque for the first time in ages, I'm allowed to have some fun before I have to do penance.
    I thought you just had to pray in the prescribed form. According to guy who lectured to my WEA earlier this tear there’s no requirment to attend the mosque; iyt’s just desirable. Not like the CoE and Easter.
  • Options

If I were about to become King of this country, I'd give serious thought to Longshanks as my regnal name.

That would be great, you could change your PB avatar to ‘The Big Mo’.
  • Options

I thought you just had to pray in the prescribed form. According to guy who lectured to my WEA earlier this tear there’s no requirment to attend the mosque; iyt’s just desirable. Not like the CoE and Easter.
    It's Eid today so I have to make an appearance.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

JackW said:

or maybe this

...that’s a very disapproving face on the Queen in the second.
    She's just been told that Salmond's had first dibs in the Dining Car.

• Options

JackW said:

or maybe this

Not this?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Field_Turnips_-_geograph.org.uk_-_665279.jpg
  • Options

It's Eid today so I have to make an appearance.
    https://twitter.com/unfortunatalie/status/237152191977234432
  • Options

JackW said:

Very true. If you try & try, one day you might not be a whiny hypocrite.
    Just 'whiny' then?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, why?

I know you said it's Eid, but is that the equivalent of Christmas Mass for a Catholic?

On an unrelated note, tomorrow is Saint Lancelot's Day.