Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Damian McBride wonders why there’s been no official denial

124»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    TGOHF said:

Hungary PM considering EU referendum to coincide with Uk one.

Like Eurovision but with simpler scoring ?

And this is how the pendulum swings the other way...
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

JEO said:

MikeK said:

mac-ukip-always ‏@nufcno1fan 4m4 minutes ago
    British students BANNED from doing medicine at uni – as NHS forced to hire foreign staff http://shr.gs/IAoUjrj

Diabolical !!!

Why is the government limiting medical places at university?

Universities need as many full fee paying, non-subsidised students as possible to generate revenue. It's a worse problem in Scotland because of the free places policy.
    University education in Scotland is not provided charitably by Universities. It is just not charged to the student. If you have any evidence that the Scottish Government pay less to Universities for Medicine than happens in England, you should post it.

Otherwise you just demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge about how university funding works.

The Scottish government pays the fees of all Scottish and EU citizens (non-rUK) who attend Scottish universities, but they put a cap on that number. Once it is reached there are no more places available. The short-fall is made up by fee payers, who are not from Scotland. Thus ...

Tuition fees for Scottish and EU students are paid for each year by the Scottish Funding Council. Since the academic year 2012/13, the number of full-time places supported by the SFC has remained steady at around 124,000.
    This figure represents a limit on the number of Scottish and EU students that universities and other higher education institutions – Glasgow School of Art or the Royal Conservatoire, for example – are allowed to accept. After this cap is reached, unis must give the remaining places to students from the rest of the UK and non-EU nations.
    Now, obviously, the money for all this free tuition has to come from somewhere, and accepting students who are obliged to pay is one way of bearing the burden. And, with around 230,000 students in higher education in Scotland, that’s a lot of people paying up.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/euan-mccolm-students-worse-off-with-free-tuition-1-3872594#ixzz3mZ4uroe6
    So, as usual, you have nothing but SLAB propaganda.

Nice.

You are aware that there are limits on the number of loans available for student fees in England? Right? I mean you are?

And that loans do not save the government one single red cent in the current financial year?

There's a reason why successful economies like Germany have scrapped fees in those Land who charged them. They don't work.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JEO said:

MikeK said:

British students BANNED from doing medicine at uni – as NHS forced to hire foreign staff http://shr.gs/IAoUjrj

Diabolical !!!

It's not. This is rubbish journalism.

The cost of a medical degree is more than the government grant for students. The consequence of this is that the NHS "subsidises" degree courses for medicine, where it regards them as sufficiently high quality.

If the University of Central Lancashire is not getting money from the NHS for its medicine course, then it will almost certainly be because the NHS does not regard the degree as rigorous enough.

Or it's been specifically developed by the university as a revenue generator. Seems like a good idea to me.

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Can we all join in on this "make up a word" game?

Here's my entry: flibberjacket.

Don't know what it means yet though.

Pig-gobbing.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Good idea IMO.
    TGOHF said:

Hungary PM considering EU referendum to coincide with Uk one.

Like Eurovision but with simpler scoring ?

• Options
    Floater said:

This still? Dave might have done it, he might not have. No-one is surprised that young, repressed uber-toffs behave in bizarre ways. But like the rest of us they then grow up. Mostly. We are never going to know the truth about the pig's head. And no-one really cares. It was funny and vaguely interesting for a while. Now it is boring. The world turns.

You are persistent I will give you that.

As I pointed out before plenty of people do very stupid things and poshness or otherwise is not the main determinate.

Very few working class kids have oral sex with dead pigs as part of an initiation ceremony to join an exclusive Oxford University dining club. The point is that this kind of thing is expected of the young uber-posh, so no-one sees it as a big deal. And, of course, we all do stupid things in our youths. Everyone knows that too.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

JEO said:

MikeK said:

Diabolical !!!

Universities need as many full fee paying, non-subsidised students as possible to generate revenue. It's a worse problem in Scotland because of the free places policy.
    University education in Scotland is not provided charitably by Universities. It is just not charged to the student. If you have any evidence that the Scottish Government pay less to Universities for Medicine than happens in England, you should post it.

Otherwise you just demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge about how university funding works.

The Scottish government pays the fees of all Scottish and EU citizens (non-rUK) who attend Scottish universities, but they put a cap on that number. Once it is reached there are no more places available. The short-fall is made up by fee payers, who are not from Scotland. Thus ...

Tuition fees for Scottish and EU students are paid for each year by the Scottish Funding Council. Since the academic year 2012/13, the number of full-time places supported by the SFC has remained steady at around 124,000.
    This figure represents a limit on the number of Scottish and EU students that universities and other higher education institutions – Glasgow School of Art or the Royal Conservatoire, for example – are allowed to accept. After this cap is reached, unis must give the remaining places to students from the rest of the UK and non-EU nations.
    Now, obviously, the money for all this free tuition has to come from somewhere, and accepting students who are obliged to pay is one way of bearing the burden. And, with around 230,000 students in higher education in Scotland, that’s a lot of people paying up.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/euan-mccolm-students-worse-off-with-free-tuition-1-3872594#ixzz3mZ4uroe6
    So, as usual, you have nothing but SLAB propaganda.

Nice.

You are aware that there are limits on the number of loans available for student fees in England? Right? I mean you are?

And that loans do not save the government one single red cent in the current financial year?

There's a reason why successful economies like Germany have scrapped fees in those Land who charged them. They don't work.

Sorry for pointing out the reality.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Dair said:

It's almost comical that on a day where Merkel is facing potentially career ending problems over the twin problems of her Migrant policy and VAGs snowballing problems, while the fundamental future of the EU is under threat and the qualified majority vote has been used to enforce EU foreign policy on subsidiary states, the Daily Politics is wasting all but 4 minutes of a 90 minute show on an irrelevant, dead party with 8 MPs.

They've been deader than that once before and come back (after decades of toil admittedly). No guarantee they will again, but given the bear total lack of any other coverage, a single day's focus seems reasonable.
  • Options
    New Thread
    New Thread
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited September 2015
    nt
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2015
    t
  • Options
    More info on the new University of Central Lancashire Medical School is here:

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/news/new_medical_degree.php

They are hoping to get GMC approval in due course. Presumably they then could take UK students.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Squaddling: the act of burning your bottom on a hot leather car seat

My grandpa resurrected "discombobulated" as a word, which I always quite liked
  • Options
    Charles said:

Squaddling: the act of burning your bottom on a hot leather car seat

My grandpa resurrected "discombobulated" as a word, which I always quite liked
    Mrs J and myself invented ''Mastress', which is the male version of Mistress. As in: "I was Mizzy's mastress; she was married and I was not."

Only it turns out to have been in the Urvban Dictionary for ten years.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mastress

Oh well.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,208
    isam said:
    More like doughball