Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Damian McBride wonders why there’s been no official denial

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited September 2015

If the MP who told this story was a Tory MP in 2014 and was an Oxford contemporary of Cameron, then these are, as far as I can make out, the suspects..

Why would the MP have to have been an Oxford contemporary?
    Didn't they claim to have seen it happen?
    I think that the claim was that they had been told by someone who claimed they had a photo, so second hand at best.

Not very convincing so far as I can see.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Cyclefree said:

Bloody silly to force a country to take people it doesn't want.

Especially since the migrants don't want to go there either.

This is a bureaucratic allocation by numbers which cannot possibly work. Having said that, I'm not sure that anyone has come up with any better ideas.
    True, but a truly bad idea need not be implemented just because it's the only idea being floated. Rergrettable as it seems, further delays until a better idea comes along, with holding solutions until then to address the problem, may well be better.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015

If the MP who told this story was a Tory MP in 2014 and was an Oxford contemporary of Cameron, then these are, as far as I can make out, the suspects..

No. Surely we've been through all this. The claim was that someone else had a photo. It's hearsay.
    Was it even a Tory MP? There must be a few stirrers in the Labour camp with access to Ashcroft and Oakeshott.
  • Options

O/T A surprise "hush hush" guest speaker is promised at the UKIP conference.
    Another defection? Danzcuk would seem the most likely. Any market on this?

Danzcuk will only act to promote Danzcuk and his large Labour majority make it very unlikely.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

This is a bureaucratic allocation by numbers which cannot possibly work. Having said that, I'm not sure that anyone has come up with any better ideas.
    Only Mr Cameron - ie keep them in the camps near to their own country. And of course bomb Syria... win the war.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

I suppose the only thing that really matters is whether or not Mr Cameron had his top button fastened whilst greeting the porker.

The question did not arise - he may have been accused of being a degenerate, but he's not a barbarian.

Surely this would have been an after dinner entertainment so top button could be released legitimately?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Danzcuk will only act to promote Danzcuk and his large Labour majority make it very unlikely.
    If he thinks that, say, 75% of his local labour members did not vote for Corbyn in the leadership election, then perhaps he might think he could rely on a personal/anti-newnewlabour vote, but very risky even if he didn't go for a by-election.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Anyway, more important than a disgraced spin doctor's utterances is today's Scotland Vs Japan rugby match. Will the Brave Blossoms continue their superb form? Will Scotland potentially put themselves in position to top the group?

If Japan win, they could win the group themselves. It could be a cracker.

Also today is Australia Vs Fiji, and the less competitive France Vs Romania.

This is the Scottish rugby team you're talking about. Their last two great performances were in 2000 and 1990 when they upped their game to deny L'Angleterre the five nations.

We're talking about a side that regularly puts up the most embarrassingly inept performance against any Italian side since the Battle of Zama
    Hey, we had a great performance in 2010 to smash Ireland in Dublin.
    Ok. Three decent performances in twenty five years
    And when we beat Australia Home and Away in 2009 & 2012 which is more than Wales have achieved in the last 7 years.
    People seem to be concentrating on the Scotland Japan game and how Japan may be value at 5/1.

Forget that game. Romania at 50-1 vs a very poor France which only won 2 games in this years six nations side is the real value in todays matches.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

No. Surely we've been through all this. The claim was that someone else had a photo. It's hearsay.
    From the Mail - "Distinguished Oxford contemporary, now an MP, claims Prime Minister once took part in an outrageous initiation ceremony involving a dead pig"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Paddy Power have Japan at 6/1 which is crazy good odds for the Scotland match.
  • Options

McBride was being interviewed by Galloway on Sputnik at the weekend, and said that he would like to work for Corbyn, but wasn't anticipating a call.
    Surely I'm not the only PBer who watches Sputnik?

What's sputnik ?
  • Options
    Tim Farron actually quoting from Big Yellow Taxi, there.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015

From the Mail - "Distinguished Oxford contemporary, now an MP, claims Prime Minister once took part in an outrageous initiation ceremony involving a dead pig"

Sorry, yes you right on that bit. But the individual didn't claim to have been there, and it doesn't have to be a Tory MP, so you need to add a few more to your list.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Anyway, more important than a disgraced spin doctor's utterances is today's Scotland Vs Japan rugby match. Will the Brave Blossoms continue their superb form? Will Scotland potentially put themselves in position to top the group?

If Japan win, they could win the group themselves. It could be a cracker.

Also today is Australia Vs Fiji, and the less competitive France Vs Romania.

This is the Scottish rugby team you're talking about. Their last two great performances were in 2000 and 1990 when they upped their game to deny L'Angleterre the five nations.

We're talking about a side that regularly puts up the most embarrassingly inept performance against any Italian side since the Battle of Zama
    Hey, we had a great performance in 2010 to smash Ireland in Dublin.
    Ok. Three decent performances in twenty five years
    And when we beat Australia Home and Away in 2009 & 2012 which is more than Wales have achieved in the last 7 years.
    People seem to be concentrating on the Scotland Japan game and how Japan may be value at 5/1.

Forget that game. Romania at 50-1 vs a very poor France which only won 2 games in this years six nations side is the real value in todays matches.

No chance. France will steam roller the monkey snot out of Romania.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Look at some of the stuff McBride was cooking up.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/apr/13/damian-mcbride-derek-draper-emails

What are the chances that the whole pig thing was a similar smear that someone else succeeded in planting? One has to wonder.
  • Options
    Mr. Dair, not convinced Romania stand a chance. 50/1 may be hedgeable, though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I suppose the only thing that really matters is whether or not Mr Cameron had his top button fastened whilst greeting the porker.

Anyway, I am looking forward to Tim Farron's speech...

...ending.

Any chance he will yell "Victory to the Farronite 451!"?

The best advice Farron could give would be "go back to your constituencies and prepare for boundary changes."
    The Lib Dem national polling 6%? was it!? seems a bit at odds with their modest success/swings in recent local by-elections. If their fortunes modestly dip, Farron could be joining the Greens and UKIP with 3 seats amongst the lot of them.
    And no doubt the BBC will waste hours of airtime on their irrelevant party even then.

Not to mention parliament will no doubt still recess for their irrelevant talking shop.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    Alistair said:

Paddy Power have Japan at 6/1 which is crazy good odds for the Scotland match.

I'm only seeing 5-1
  • Options
    Mr. 30, it's entirely possible, though I suspect a journalist who is also a moron, and a billionaire who also has a vendetta is the simpler explanation.
  • Options

Mr. 30, it's entirely possible, though I suspect a journalist who is also a moron, and a billionaire who also has a vendetta is the simpler explanation.

Ashcroft is still my second favourite billionaire with the Scottish polling leak though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ashcroft is still my second favourite billionaire with the Scottish polling leak though.
    Good point!
  • Options

Meanwhile, UKIP have come up with another way to repel voters:

"Former UKIP election candidates have said allowing high profile figures from outside Wales to apply to stand in the assembly election will put off voters.

Ex-MPs Mark Reckless and Neil Hamilton, and Nigel Farage's head of media Alexandra Phillips are all applying to stand as regional list candidates.

Ken Beswick, UKIP's general election candidate in Torfaen, said Welsh members should run the party in Wales."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-34329069

The unknown SPAD won't hurt them but if Reckless and Hamilton are at the top of their lists, they will lose a whole heap of votes.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    How can this Farron speech be so full of cliches and not be totally boring. Nothing new, the same old crap!!!!
  • Options

Sorry, yes you right on that bit. But the individual didn't claim to have been there, and it doesn't have to be a Tory MP, so you need to add a few more to your list.
    The MP is, however, identified as a man so Jane Ellison can come off the list.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/apr/13/damian-mcbride-derek-draper-emails

What are the chances that the whole pig thing was a similar smear that someone successfully planted?
    I asked that yesterday. It's in exactly the same vein: take an accusation / fact about someone (Osborne and Rowe, Cameron and Osborne) and build on it in a salacious manner to diminish the target. The Osborne attack even involved suggesting photographs and ''secret tapes' existed that would prove the claims.

The attack on Cameron's deceased child and Francis Osborne were particularly sick.

It's perfect possible that these claims were introduced at the same time. The McAlpine saga shows how Westminster is one massive rumour mill.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

antifrank said:

There's another obvious possibility.

*glances at the Daily Mail*
    McBride or Cashcroft? Either would fit in at UKIP.
    The pig, finally having its say?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220

A song in which Joni complains they 'Paved paradise to put up a parking lot', a measure which actually would have alleviated traffic congestion on the outskirts of paradise, something which Joni singularly fails to point out, perhaps because it doesn't quite fit in with her blinkered view of the world. Nevertheless, nice song.
  • Options
    Dair said:

The unknown SPAD won't hurt them but if Reckless and Hamilton are at the top of their lists, they will lose a whole heap of votes.

I can't imagine why Mark Reckless would possibly want to be a Welsh AM. It's very odd.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Farron saying he will work with the Conservatives again is surely a turn off to the large part of their 2010 vote who deserted them at the very idea of a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition. Maybe the soft Tory vote is the Lib Dems most accessible target but it doesn't make up a large part of the electorate.
  • Options
    Ha, just heard Farron go on about picking up the pieces Thatcher left behind.

Anyway, that's enough muppetry for me.
  • Options

McBride was being interviewed by Galloway on Sputnik at the weekend, and said that he would like to work for Corbyn, but wasn't anticipating a call.

What's sputnik ?
    The best show on RT (Russia Today), hosted by George Galloway.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

watford30 said:

What are the chances that the whole pig thing was a similar smear that someone successfully planted?
    I asked that yesterday. It's in exactly the same vein: take an accusation / fact about someone (Osborne and Rowe, Cameron and Osborne) and build on it in a salacious manner to diminish the target. The Osborne attack even involved suggesting photographs and ''secret tapes' existed that would prove the claims.

The attack on Cameron's deceased child and Francis Osborne were particularly sick.

It's perfect possible that these claims were introduced at the same time. The McAlpine saga shows how Westminster is one massive rumour mill.
    'McBride suggested the website spread false rumours that pictures exist of Osborne...'

Swap the names, and the supposed act. Mere coincidence? Or did someone steal the idea from a smear merchants playbook?

We'll never know, since confessing to the fabrication would destroy the story.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

How can this Farron speech be so full of cliches and not be totally boring. Nothing new, the same old crap!!!!

He's a politician, what do you expect?

I quite like some of the content, but his delivery's more than a little flat. He doesn't do tub-thumping rhetoric, but I reckon he'll do a good job of starting the Lib Dem rebuild.
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul Corbyn straight in at 89% recognition https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/23/cabinet-recognition/ … HT @sundersays

That's pretty impressive in such a short period of time. That also suggests that the initial favourability etc polling is more useful than usual.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Only Mr Cameron - ie keep them in the camps near to their own country. And of course bomb Syria... win the war.
    Yes of course - more bombing will definitely prevent further people from leaving Syria. They love a bit of bombing. I can see them turning back in their droves even at the prospect.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

A song in which Joni complains they 'Paved paradise to put up a parking lot', a measure which actually would have alleviated traffic congestion on the outskirts of paradise, something which Joni singularly fails to point out, perhaps because it doesn't quite fit in with her blinkered view of the world. Nevertheless, nice song.
    Interestingly (YMMV), Amy Grant's 1995 cover implied an average annual inflation rate of 11.9% since 1970.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited September 2015

Sorry, yes you right on that bit. But the individual didn't claim to have been there.
    But what is any of this meant to prove even if true (doubtful). Someone anyone aged 19 (?) was silly?
    Silly escapades involving being tied to a lamppost naked on your stag night for instance or even worse are the activities of all society irrespective of age race creed class or colour.
    lt signifies nothing.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

'McBride suggested the website spread false rumours that pictures exist of Osborne...'

Swap the names, and the supposed act. Coincidence?
    Might be, might not be. But it's slightly suspicious. If only the MP who talked to Ashcroft and the 'journalist' (I'm not quite sure she deserves to be called such any more) would come forward. It might harm his career though ...
  • Options
    It's almost comical that on a day where Merkel is facing potentially career ending problems over the twin problems of her Migrant policy and VAGs snowballing problems, while the fundamental future of the EU is under threat and the qualified majority vote has been used to enforce EU foreign policy on subsidiary states, the Daily Politics is wasting all but 4 minutes of a 90 minute show on an irrelevant, dead party with 8 MPs.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited September 2015
    Edit: forget it.
  • Options
    Mr. Dair, I'd agree, except that the Lib Dems have a considerable presence in the Lords and Farron appears to have indicated he'll be ignoring the Salisbury Convention [probably to try and make the Lords collide with the democratic chamber and increase support for Lords reform].
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Dair said:

It's almost comical that on a day where Merkel is facing potentially career ending problems over the twin problems of her Migrant policy and VAGs snowballing problems, while the fundamental future of the EU is under threat and the qualified majority vote has been used to enforce EU foreign policy on subsidiary states, the Daily Politics is wasting all but 4 minutes of a 90 minute show on an irrelevant, dead party with 8 MPs.

Walking with Dinosaurs !!

https://twitter.com/Politics_co_uk/status/646649611168391169
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    antifrank said:

@JohnRentoul Corbyn straight in at 89% recognition https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/23/cabinet-recognition/ … HT @sundersays

That's pretty impressive in such a short period of time. That also suggests that the initial favourability etc polling is more useful than usual.

Note the figure for Andy Burnham - just 59%. A useful reminder that many people simply don't follow politics at all.

For that matter the 77% for Osborne is strikingly low, although maybe it's partly because he looks rather different with his new hairstyle.
  • Options

Mr. Dair, I'd agree, except that the Lib Dems have a considerable presence in the Lords and Farron appears to have indicated he'll be ignoring the Salisbury Convention [probably to try and make the Lords collide with the democratic chamber and increase support for Lords reform].

And that is the only justifiable story for the BBC to actually cover. Anything beyond that is a complete failure of objectivity. It did get a brief mention earlier but was not properly followed up and faded away without any reasonable answer from any of the multitude of Liberals that are flooding the programme.

The Lib to Labour defector was quite entertaining though. But still probably not worth coverage on a national programme.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    tlg86 said:

The Environmental Impact Assessment also required they took all the trees and put them in a tree museum. Very thoughtful. Could have just cut and burnt....

Is her Big Yellow Taxi big enough for 8?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

antifrank said:

Note the figure for Andy Burnham - just 59%. A useful reminder that many people simply don't follow politics at all.
    Won't yougov overstate recognition of public figures by the general population ? (There'll be more than 2% of the pop who won't know who David Cameron is methinks)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Won't yougov overstate recognition of public figures by the general population ? (There'll be more than 2% of the pop who won't know who David Cameron is methinks)

Maybe so. I was impressed that 10% recognised Heidi Alexander.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

More than 2% of the population wouldn't recognise a pig.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Given the scandal over the AIDS drug patent, it is nice to see that some other parasites have been scraped off the intellectual property gravy train

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34332853
  • Options
    Fallon's delivery isn't very good. I mean, I tend to agree with a fair bit of what he's saying but it's just annoying.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Given the scandal over the AIDS drug patent, it is nice to see that some other parasites have been scraped off the intellectual property gravy train

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34332853

This is more bizarre than the drug one.

Apparently it is still under copyright in the UK.

How can music still be under copyright after 122 years?

Didn't there have to be an Act of Parliament to extend the normal copyright limit on Peter Pan?
  • Options

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

Swap the names, and the supposed act. Coincidence?
    Might be, might not be. But it's slightly suspicious. If only the MP who talked to Ashcroft and the 'journalist' (I'm not quite sure she deserves to be called such any more) would come forward. It might harm his career though ...
    Was Darius Guppy involved in this story?
  • Options
    William_H said:

Fallon's delivery isn't very good. I mean, I tend to agree with a fair bit of what he's saying but it's just annoying.

You mean Farron.

Fallon on the other hand has an almost Churchillian perfection of delivery for a politician.
  • Options
    calum said:

Dair said:

For the number of people which claim to be 'outside the Westminster bubble', Westminster must be a pretty empty place.
  • Options

So this is currently happening in front of Northcliffe House. pic.twitter.com/IjmYgHpUQO

— Marie Le Conte (@youngvulgarian) September 23, 2015
  • Options
    Dair said:

William_H said:

You mean Farron.

Fallon on the other hand has an almost Churchillian perfection of delivery for a politician.
    Gah

I'll stop making that mistake some day.
  • Options

This activity or guerilla warfare in the House of Lords is where the Lib Dems intend having a say. I expect them to break the Salisbury Convention and create a crisis. The results though may not be good for them.

Just noticed that BBC Laura points to the similar policy lines of Farron and Corbyn and their members prefer Corbyn to Cameron in the psehrical ball choice.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196

Mr. G, it's the nature of bets to be hit and miss. Don't worry about it (I've offered more losing tips than I've followed this year :p ).

A insufficiently contrite apology, to my mind. May I refer you to my effort the other day?

There is something I need to address. I often give tips on this site, always with the best of intentions. But if anyone has lost money as a result - and clearly some have - then that is of course a cause for huge regret. I'm truly saddened by it. But if I hadn't given the tips, then perhaps the bookmakers would not have offered such markets in future. If just one more market were offered, then maybe my losing tips were worth it. But I will take your criticism on board and only tip winners in the future. Thank you.
    LOL
  • Options
    Out of interest, neither "Tim Farron" nor #libdemconf appears to have made the top of the UK twitter trends. This is actually quite a bad sign for lib dem activism. Number one trend in the middle of the day on a midweek should not really require a lot of activity.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

JEO said:

This hedge fund manager who upped the price of AIDS drugs is a pretty disgusting story

I agree. It reminds me of the stories of US companies that tried to patent business methods to bankrupt their competitors. One lot even tried to patent putting milk on breakfast cereal so it could licence breakfast to eateries, hotels and restaurants.

Besides, how come a 70 year old drug is still in patent? My understanding is it was developed in the 1940s and, like many drugs, they found other uses for it.

Is it still in patent? I thought it was just that no one else bothered to make it because the sales were too low and the margins were too small

That is the reason. Although pharma companies seeking to evergreen their patents, or paying off generics to delay entering the post-patent market, is not unknown ;-)

FTC has been stamping hard on the delayed access and, more recently, the AG strategy, for years
  • Options
    mac-ukip-always ‏@nufcno1fan 4m4 minutes ago
    British students BANNED from doing medicine at uni – as NHS forced to hire foreign staff http://shr.gs/IAoUjrj

Diabolical !!!
  • Options

calum said:

Dair said:

For the number of people which claim to be 'outside the Westminster bubble', Westminster must be a pretty empty place.
    The 'westminster bubble' is the last refuge of the scoundrel.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    MikeK said:

British students BANNED from doing medicine at uni – as NHS forced to hire foreign staff http://shr.gs/IAoUjrj

Diabolical !!!

Why is the government limiting medical places at university?
  • Options

What's sputnik ?
    'Galloway'?
  • Options

calum said:

Dair said:

It's hard to thing of a group that is more representative of the Westminster elite than the Liberal Democrats. Whether right or wrong, on every issue they represent mainstream bubble opinion: open borders, balancing the books, supporting the EU, light prison sentences, privatisation in the NHS.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    TGOHF said:

FWIW I think the half-denial was a mistake - "Mr Cameron says he does not recognise the description" or words to that effect. Ignoring it totally except to say we don't bother with comments on anonymous allegations in books would have been better. But the story is essentially froth and has now pretty much died.

Labour seem to be in hiding this week - conference preparation ?
    There were some questions on the Ashcroft non-dom issue from a front-bencher, but I guess Corbyn would feel that it's not really his style to start nagging Cameron about pigs.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Out of interest, neither "Tim Farron" nor #libdemconf appears to have made the top of the UK twitter trends. This is actually quite a bad sign for lib dem activism. Number one trend in the middle of the day on a midweek should not really require a lot of activity.

Be fair, they were all in the audience at the time and it would have been embarrassing to be filmed using Twitter while TF spoke.
  • Options
    JEO said:

MikeK said:

Diabolical !!!

The government isn't.

The University is in order to maximise their profits.

It's quite understandable, that is how Higher Education has been set up. We are now churning out hundreds of thousands with pointless, worthless degrees while failing to generate enough with valuable skills.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Dair said:

Be fair, they were all in the audience at the time and it would have been embarrassing to be filmed using Twitter while TF spoke.
    Well as a mark of the Lib Dems relevance, the hashtag #libdemconf was competing for a place in the bottom half of the top ten with #slf15 which appears to be some education conference in Scotland featuring SNP second stringer Angela Constance. I don't even know what the SLF part stands for. It is that bad for the Liberals.

Kind of says it all really.
  • Options
    JEO said:

MikeK said:

Diabolical !!!

Universities need as many full fee paying, non-subsidised students as possible to generate revenue. It's a worse problem in Scotland because of the free places policy.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

TGOHF said:

FWIW I think the half-denial was a mistake - "Mr Cameron says he does not recognise the description" or words to that effect. Ignoring it totally except to say we don't bother with comments on anonymous allegations in books would have been better. But the story is essentially froth and has now pretty much died.

Labour seem to be in hiding this week - conference preparation ?
    There were some questions on the Ashcroft non-dom issue from a front-bencher, but I guess Corbyn would feel that it's not really his style to start nagging Cameron about pigs.
    With conference season in full flow, surely there are no PMQ's today?
  • Options
    JEO said:

MikeK said:

Diabolical !!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_school_in_the_United_Kingdom

• Options

JEO said:

MikeK said:

Diabolical !!!

Universities need as many full fee paying, non-subsidised students as possible to generate revenue. It's a worse problem in Scotland because of the free places policy.
    Shouldn't it be up to each university to balance their books? The university is blaming a central government limit.

In other news, for a Liberal Democrat, the new leader doesn't seem to really understand what liberalism is:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPllMKnW8AAGNcr.png
  • Options

What's sputnik ?
    'Galloway'?
    Yes, this fellow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Galloway

• Options
    David Miliband argues the best way to stop people smugglers is to have fewer fences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW479qn7fls

It's an opinion, I suppose.
  • Options

Charles said:

JEO said:

This hedge fund manager who upped the price of AIDS drugs is a pretty disgusting story

I agree. It reminds me of the stories of US companies that tried to patent business methods to bankrupt their competitors. One lot even tried to patent putting milk on breakfast cereal so it could licence breakfast to eateries, hotels and restaurants.

Besides, how come a 70 year old drug is still in patent? My understanding is it was developed in the 1940s and, like many drugs, they found other uses for it.

Is it still in patent? I thought it was just that no one else bothered to make it because the sales were too low and the margins were too small

That is the reason. Although pharma companies seeking to evergreen their patents, or paying off generics to delay entering the post-patent market, is not unknown ;-)

If you extend the licence you get a new patent. The drug was origionally a TB drug, but if they ran trials and found it had an effect on AIDS then they can get a new patent.
    Use patents are worth the square root of bugger all.

Composition of matter is significant. Data exclusivity/Orphan status matters. Formulation patents can be important. Manufacturing patents can be worked around. Use patents not so much.

Once the first patent goes a Gx can be launched and will be used across all indications
  • Options

JEO said:

MikeK said:

Diabolical !!!

University education in Scotland is not provided charitably by Universities. It is just not charged to the student. If you have any evidence that the Scottish Government pay less to Universities for Medicine than happens in England, you should post it.

Otherwise you just demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge about how university funding works.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    The list of 2014 Lab MPs at Oxford around the same time as Cameron -

Dave & Ed M
    Ed B & Mrs Ed B
    Steven Twigg
    Meg Hillier
    Mary Creagh

And LDs

Ed Davey
    Steve Webb

• Options
    MikeK said:

Diabolical !!!

Yes, truly diabolical journalism.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

David Miliband argues the best way to stop people smugglers is to have fewer fences:

And one way to reduce drink/drive numbers is to have fewer people stopped and breathalysed .

To think people thought he would have been a better party leader.
  • Options
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Well as a mark of the Lib Dems relevance, the hashtag #libdemconf was competing for a place in the bottom half of the top ten with #slf15 which appears to be some education conference in Scotland featuring SNP second stringer Angela Constance. I don't even know what the SLF part stands for. It is that bad for the Liberals.

Kind of says it all really.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/sci-tech/2014/05/why-fake-twitter-accounts-are-political-problem
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043
  • Options

The list of 2014 Lab MPs at Oxford around the same time as Cameron -

Dave & Ed M
    Ed B & Mrs Ed B
    Steven Twigg
    Meg Hillier
    Mary Creagh

And LDs

Ed Davey
    Steve Webb

So while the two Eds were attending private tutorials in Advanced Stephanomics, Dave was in a haze.
  • Options
    Dair said:

JEO said:

MikeK said:

Diabolical !!!

University education in Scotland is not provided charitably by Universities. It is just not charged to the student. If you have any evidence that the Scottish Government pay less to Universities for Medicine than happens in England, you should post it.

Otherwise you just demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge about how university funding works.

The Scottish government pays the fees of all Scottish and EU citizens (non-rUK) who attend Scottish universities, but they put a cap on that number. Once it is reached there are no more places available. The short-fall is made up by fee payers, who are not from Scotland. Thus ...

Tuition fees for Scottish and EU students are paid for each year by the Scottish Funding Council. Since the academic year 2012/13, the number of full-time places supported by the SFC has remained steady at around 124,000.
    This figure represents a limit on the number of Scottish and EU students that universities and other higher education institutions – Glasgow School of Art or the Royal Conservatoire, for example – are allowed to accept. After this cap is reached, unis must give the remaining places to students from the rest of the UK and non-EU nations.
    Now, obviously, the money for all this free tuition has to come from somewhere, and accepting students who are obliged to pay is one way of bearing the burden. And, with around 230,000 students in higher education in Scotland, that’s a lot of people paying up.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/euan-mccolm-students-worse-off-with-free-tuition-1-3872594#ixzz3mZ4uroe6

• Options
    Still looks gloomy as hell on the platforms. They should have reinstated a replica of the original Victorian roof.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

This still? Dave might have done it, he might not have. No-one is surprised that young, repressed uber-toffs behave in bizarre ways. But like the rest of us they then grow up. Mostly. We are never going to know the truth about the pig's head. And no-one really cares. It was funny and vaguely interesting for a while. Now it is boring. The world turns.

You are persistent I will give you that.

As I pointed out before plenty of people do very stupid things and poshness or otherwise is not the main determinate.

• Options
    Dair said:

William_H said:

You mean Farron.

Portmanteau Politicians:

Tim Fallon - LibDem Defence Secretary

Michael Farron - Leader of the Tory Party and MP for Westmorland.
  • Options
    JEO said:

JEO said:

MikeK said:

Diabolical !!!

Shouldn't it be up to each university to balance their books? The university is blaming a central government limit.

In other news, for a Liberal Democrat, the new leader doesn't seem to really understand what liberalism is:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPllMKnW8AAGNcr.png
    To a limited extent they are right; the government is limiting places.
    This isn't a new thing though.

This uni is just offering a new medical degree that is not part of the gov funded/NHS system.
    Not sure where or how the clinical training at a teaching hospital will work.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    isam said:

Introducing 'cleverball'

//twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/646660046697439232

He's in good company. Mandelson conjured up a game called 'Surfball' as one of the potential experiences in the spectacularly successful Millennium Dome.
  • Options
    http://www.sustainablebuildingscentre.org/pages/beep

Clinton: 33%
    Biden: 25%
    Sanders: 24%
    Webb: 2%
    O'Malley: 1%
  • Options
    isam said:
    Wasn't that a Bond movie?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737
    JEO said:

Well technically he's right. If anyone was allowed to come here, from anywhere, and there were no fences in the way, then there would be no people smugglers, as movement wouldn't be illegal, and so there would be no need for smuggling.

On the other hand, we might have a very large number of people arriving here from all over the world, and associated issues (to put it mildly).
  • Options

Still looks gloomy as hell on the platforms. They should have reinstated a replica of the original Victorian roof.
    Honestly, I think London St Pancras International is the benchmark for both original Victorian architecture and refurbished 21st cen. structure.

The top floor of New Street (the oddly named "Grand Central" shopping centre) doesn't open until tomorrow.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    JEO said:

MikeK said:

Diabolical !!!

It's not. This is rubbish journalism.

The cost of a medical degree is more than the government grant for students. The consequence of this is that the NHS "subsidises" degree courses for medicine, where it regards them as sufficiently high quality.

If the University of Central Lancashire is not getting money from the NHS for its medicine course, then it will almost certainly be because the NHS does not regard the degree as rigorous enough.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    JEO said:

http://www.sustainablebuildingscentre.org/pages/beep

Clinton: 33%
    Biden: 25%
    Sanders: 24%
    Webb: 2%
    O'Malley: 1%

I'm getting a Heroku, no such app error on that page
  • Options

Can we all join in on this "make up a word" game?

Here's my entry: flibberjacket.

Don't know what it means yet though.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043

isam said:
    Wasn't that a Bond movie?
    Sounds like a Dale Winton quote on the lottery show
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hungary PM considering EU referendum to coincide with Uk one.

Like Eurovision but with simpler scoring ?
  • Options

kle4 said:

The question did not arise - he may have been accused of being a degenerate, but he's not a barbarian.

Surely this would have been an after dinner entertainment so top button could be released legitimately?
    Gosh, no! To do so would imply having your bow-tie undone and that is simply unacceptable.