Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I voted Kendall 1, Cooper 2, Burnham 3

SystemSystem Posts: 11,699
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I voted Kendall 1, Cooper 2, Burnham 3

If we rewind but a few months, many thought that Labour was heading for government with Ed Miliband as Prime Minister and yet now it is genuinely quite difficult to imagine Labour being in power again.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options

O/T Does anyone have a fair idea of the current hourly rate of a competent, small-town, family solicitor?

Depends whether you need a Partner or Associate and also what the issue is, but a good benchmark for a small town Partner might be £200- 250 per hour. Would tend to be higher in London and the SE and some other more expensive areas. Hope this helps.
    And first!!!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,399
    Because you can't believe what has happened to Lab and are trying to ignore the Jezgasm
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Labour are utterly screwed, if Cooper is their only hope.
  • Options
    Really powerful piece Keiran, many thanks for this.
  • Options
    Very sensible Keiran. I assume you will be sticking around for the resistance?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FPT: Time travel to the past is quite possible. Both Redfunnel and Wightlink go back about 3 decades as you cross the Solent...
  • Options

FPT: Time travel to the past is quite possible. Both Redfunnel and Wightlink go back about 3 decades as you cross the Solent...

At 22nd Century prices.
  • Options
    Pah, I voted

JC
    LK
    AB
    YC

I voted Yvette last because she's the only one who's likely to have slept with Ed Balls :lol:
  • Options
    Go Cooper!
  • Options
    Listening to Cooper in the debate I am almost swinging to Corbyn..she is truly pathetic I have rarely heard so many tired cliches in one speech and the false pleading in her voice makes her even sound false.. really quite pathetic
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Go Cooper!

We will never compete in an arms race of rhetoric. We will never conduct the debate in way that whips up tensions and hostility.

Nor will we ignore or dismiss legitimate voices of concern, and pretend we can wish problems away.

We need proper border controls in place.

And we need stronger controls at the ports where the most problems arise.

it is progressive to call for much stronger enforcement at Calais
    http://press.labour.org.uk/post/82276714334/labours-approach-to-immigration-speech-by
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
  • Options
    And he's going to love every minute of it!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2015
    A sensible piece Mr Pedley, a lone voice of reason, amongst the chatter of fools. But too late?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    The best leader for Labour out of these 4 is None of the Above.

It would have been better for Ed M to have stayed on and for Labour to have had the debate that Nick Palmer was touching on on the previous thread than go through this farce.

@NickPalmer: I found some of what you said quite interesting. I will give it some thought and come back to you later, if I may. While we disagree on many matters, I do appreciate the fact that you reply to my queries.
  • Options

A sensible piece Mr Pedley, a lone voice of reason, amongst the chatter of fools. But too late?

Who knows. It is not impossible that we are about to see a major surprise when the 2nd or 3rd prefs come in. The pollsters and the pundits could be wrong - as they were when D Millband stood. 43% 1st prefs seems to be the magic number - above that Corbyn has won.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

O/T Does anyone have a fair idea of the current hourly rate of a competent, small-town, family solicitor?

Depends whether you need a Partner or Associate and also what the issue is, but a good benchmark for a small town Partner might be £200- 250 per hour. Would tend to be higher in London and the SE and some other more expensive areas. Hope this helps.
    And first!!!
    Good heavens, Mr. Brackenbury, that is expensive to be sure. We are just talking about ordinary family business - wills, probates, deeds, firing off the odd snotty "solicitors' letter", that sort of thing.

We, as a family, have used the same firm since it was established just after WW2 - the founder served with my late father-in-law. The founder has now died (he retired long ago but you know how it is) and we feel that perhaps it is time to make a break and have build a relationship with a firm closer to home. We also have some business that needs to be transacted in relation to wills and, maybe, a trust.

If £250 plus a bit is the going rate, then at least I am forearmed. Thanks.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

"It’s also frankly about time that Labour chose a woman to the lead the party. It’s embarrassing that Labour has yet to do so."

Not a fan of that line of thinking, especially given Cooper's own outpouring of identity politics tosh during the campaign.

That said, she'd still be better than Burnham.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Cyclefree said:

The best leader for Labour out of these 4 is None of the Above.

It would have been better for Ed M to have stayed on and for Labour to have had the debate that Nick Palmer was touching on on the previous thread than go through this farce.

@NickPalmer: I found some of what you said quite interesting. I will give it some thought and come back to you later, if I may. While we disagree on many matters, I do appreciate the fact that you reply to my queries.

Civil discussion is always cool!

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,683
    edited September 2015

And first!!!
    Good heavens, Mr. Brackenbury, that is expensive to be sure. We are just talking about ordinary family business - wills, probates, deeds, firing off the odd snotty "solicitors' letter", that sort of thing.

We, as a family, have used the same firm since it was established just after WW2 - the founder served with my late father-in-law. The founder has now died (he retired long ago but you know how it is) and we feel that perhaps it is time to make a break and have build a relationship with a firm closer to home. We also have some business that needs to be transacted in relation to wills and, maybe, a trust.

If £250 plus a bit is the going rate, then at least I am forearmed. Thanks.
    Negotiated fixed prices are useful.

As are pee-written-by-you snotty letters, which just need a letterhead and a signature, and very carefully organised files.

The last snotty letter I had written cost £110 5 years ago.

The equation may be 1 day plumber = 1 hour lawyer.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

"It’s also frankly about time that Labour chose a woman to the lead the party. It’s embarrassing that Labour has yet to do so."

Not a fan of that line of thinking, especially given Cooper's own outpouring of identity politics tosh during the campaign.

With Cooper in charge they'd cruise to another defeat in 2020; with Corbyn in charge they'd hurtle to another defeat in 2020 all guns blazing.

The trouble is that many Lab members and some Lab MPs rather like the idea of the latter.

(Edit: and with Burnham in charge they'd fizzle out well before 2020 and be flat out on the ground by then)
  • Options

If you're lucky enough to cross on the hovercraft from Southsea, then you get a vision of the future from thirty years ago which is now the past.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,380
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

NB I registered so I could vote Corbyn and screw Labour, as per this excellent threader, but that was before it was revealed he was a nasty fellow travelling quasi Islamist Trot.

"Trotskyism is a tool of the Capitalists!"

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Not anymore, alas, Doc. When our boy was small (from the ages of 1 to 12) we took a summer holiday on the Isle of Wight for precisely the reason you mentioned. Each year from about 1998 on wards we felt that the island was rapidly catching up and on the last occasion we went it was really no "nicer" than bloody Bognor.

Perhaps this is some side effect of time travel into the past. The more one does it the less distance* one goes back.

The conflation of the ideas of distance with time is, of course, in itself worrying but according to a chum of mine, who makes her living as a management-coach, perfectly logical.
  • Options
    @JoeMurphyLondon: Revealed - Reyaad Khan planned a Tunisia-style gun massacre of members of public & veterans at VJ Day on Aug 15
    http://t.co/dlQJK2vqTz
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JoeMurphyLondon: Revealed - Reyaad Khan planned a Tunisia-style gun massacre of members of public & veterans at VJ Day on Aug 15

Post-emptive strike?
  • Options

If you're lucky enough to cross on the hovercraft from Southsea, then you get a vision of the future from thirty years ago which is now the past.
    It's been years since Dover had any hovercraft. The ramp was still in situ, but derelict when I went a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Scott_P

'it is progressive to call for much stronger enforcement at Calais'

Can't be right as only last week Cooper has calling for the migrants at Calais to be allowed into the UK.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Pah, is that all? Surely a stiffly-worded letter to the Guardian would have been an adequate response by the government, rather than an extra-judicial execution?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Pah, is that all? Surely a stiffly-worded letter to the Guardian would have been an adequate response by the government, rather than an extra-judicial execution?''

Conhome points out there's evidence that even the government is well to the left of many voters on the issue of Syria.

Goodness knows where that would put labour and the commentariat....
  • Options
    FPT
    Mr Palmer - there is nothing baffling about pointing out that - at best - you are a simpleton. To the rest of the world you are a shining beacon pointing out why Labour are utterly facile, self serving and not to be trusted or let within a million miles of government.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "This fragile pro-refugee coalition is leaving voters behind

If we dismiss our opponents as heartless instead of bringing them onto our side, we'll end up like Labour did in the election"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11848519/This-fragile-pro-refugee-coalition-is-leaving-voters-behind.-We-need-to-take-them-with-us.html
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    This Labour demanded debate on refugees has turned into a farce The Labour Party are simply trying to make political points...Kaufman is now going on about Israeli terrorists..unbelivable SHEESH. What about the effin refugees Kaufman Cooper
  • Options
    Madam Balls clearly enjoying her three hours in the sun (HoC). Even BBC and SKY showing her opening speech. Theresa May was not afforded the same (unless I missed it because I had to nip out). 'Im not sure given Labour's open door immigration policy, that they are going to get any credit in calling for more migrants to be allowed in.

I agree with some posters on here, that there is now a massive disconnect between the broadcasters/political commentators and the general public.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

Who knows. It is not impossible that we are about to see a major surprise when the 2nd or 3rd prefs come in. The pollsters and the pundits could be wrong - as they were when D Millband stood. 43% 1st prefs seems to be the magic number - above that Corbyn has won.
    Relatedly, I have yet to receive my ballot paper or email-that-lets-me-vote, despite having paid my £3 and despite my receiving several hundred plaintive texts from various Labour candidates (proving that I have successfully registered).

How many are in my position? What is the problem?

I wonder if there is an upset to be had, amidst the (deliberate?) chaos

NB I registered so I could vote Corbyn and screw Labour, as per this excellent threader, but that was before it was revealed he was a nasty fellow travelling quasi Islamist Trot. If I did get a ballot now i'd chuck it in the bin.
    If they can't run a leadership election, how can they run the country?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Scott_P

'it is progressive to call for much stronger enforcement at Calais'

Can't be right as only last week Cooper has calling for the migrants at Calais to be allowed into the UK.

She's spinning around like a weathercock. Nothing like an opportunist.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @HurstLliama

'Good heavens, Mr. Brackenbury, that is expensive to be sure. We are just talking about ordinary family business - wills, probates, deeds, firing off the odd snotty "solicitors' letter", that sort of thing.'

If it's any consolation you normally get the initial discussion (30 minutes) on what you want doing free.

I had some lease extension work done recently and the local solicitors I contacted offered the initial freebie & then were happy to quote a fixed price. Wills & Trusts are also normally done on fixed prices.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

With Cooper in charge they'd cruise to another defeat in 2020; with Corbyn in charge they'd hurtle to another defeat in 2020 all guns blazing.

The trouble is that many Lab members and some Lab MPs rather like the idea of the latter.

(Edit: and with Burnham in charge they'd fizzle out well before 2020 and be flat out on the ground by then)
    I am praying they will select Burnham.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Post-emptive strike?
    Oh how we laughed.
    But yes - just like the one on Osama bin Ladin.
  • Options
    @watford30

'She's spinning around like a weathercock. Nothing like an opportunist.'

Seeing if she can spin & be inconsistent as many times as Burnham ?
  • Options

It's been years since Dover had any hovercraft. The ramp was still in situ, but derelict when I went a few weeks ago.
    Yep. I might be wrong, but I think the Southsea to ?Ryde? hovercraft is the only scheduled hovercraft service still going in the UK.

A couple of the massive cross-channel hovercrafts can be seen in the car park of the nearby hovercraft museum. I'd love to go in one of those if they were ever got running again.

But what we really need in the UK are cross channel Ekranoplans. ;)

http://wiki.vostokwatches.eu/images/assets/ekranoplan02.jpg
  • Options
    Y4LotO!!

I've got my 2011 shadsy voucher still waiting to be dusted off and encashed....

or not.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,917
    AndyJS said:

"This fragile pro-refugee coalition is leaving voters behind

If we dismiss our opponents as heartless instead of bringing them onto our side, we'll end up like Labour did in the election"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11848519/This-fragile-pro-refugee-coalition-is-leaving-voters-behind.-We-need-to-take-them-with-us.html

A load of sanctimony here from Roger Cohen in the New York Times.

It's so easy to slag off Eastern European nations as racist. My guess is that if you've had to endure decades of tyranny and ethnic cleansing, you don't feel much of an obligation to open your doors to the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/08/opinion/roger-cohen-aylan-kurdis-europe.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=0
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, ekranoplans are cool.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited September 2015
    Scott_P said:

Dair says he's just a guy in a Land Rover - who should I believe ??

"A source said: “Khan was in direct contact with people in the UK who were plotting with him to carry out attacks that would cause mass casualties.” A separate source confirmed these would have included armed assaults on the streset on VJ Day similar to the beach massacre in Tunisia in June where 30 Britons were shot dead while sunbathing. Crowds of Londoners turned out to watch to arrival of VIPs for a church service to commemorate the end of hostilities in 1945."
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@watford30

'She's spinning around like a weathercock. Nothing like an opportunist.'

Seeing if she can spin & be inconsistent as many times as Burnham ?

Maybe that's it. Maybe that's what happens to Lab MPs when someone points out their party isn't wearing any clothes and is pointless. Look at NPXx2MP on here.

cf Jezza.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Dair says he's just a guy in a Land Rover - who should I believe ??

"A source said: “Khan was in direct contact with people in the UK who were plotting with him to carry out attacks that would cause mass casualties.” A separate source confirmed these would have included armed assaults on the streset on VJ Day similar to the beach massacre in Tunisia in June where 30 Britons were shot dead while sunbathing. Crowds of Londoners turned out to watch to arrival of VIPs for a church service to commemorate the end of hostilities in 1945."
    I'd go with Dair. He clearly has access to better intelligence sources, than the amateurs in the security services.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, judging by the picture he shares a tailor with Mr. Eagles.
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    Here is a brilliant and better reason than this piece for Corbyn: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/gregor-cubie/jeremy-corbyn_b_8096364.html

Now more than ever we also need someone who will take on the war mongerers. The future of national security is not dependent on who The Sun or Daily Express decide we should next be bombing.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

I'd go with Dair. He clearly has access to better intelligence sources, than the amateurs in the security services.

If he was involved in the Indyref he will have come into direct contact with MI5...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,683
    edited September 2015

SeanT said:

NB I registered so I could vote Corbyn and screw Labour, as per this excellent threader, but that was before it was revealed he was a nasty fellow travelling quasi Islamist Trot.

"Trotskyism is a tool of the Capitalists!"

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89
    That's up there with Polly being a Red Tory.
  • Options
    "We Spoke To The Person Behind The “Stop Allowing Immigrants Into The UK” Petition

Over 100,000 people have signed a petition to “stop allowing immigrants into the UK” which was posted to the government and parliament petitions site."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/krishrach/we-spoke-to-the-person-behind-the-stop-allowing-immigrants-i?utm_term=4ldqpia
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106477
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,917
    Plato said:
    It's curious to think that Kaufman's future already lay behind him, when he entered Parliament in 1970.
  • Options
    No wonder we beat Sidney so often if this is the example he has been set:

William Hill ‏@sharpeangle

Colin Styring from Melbourne set to win £2500 after £50 @ 50/1 bet in June 2000 with @sharpeangle on Queen to reign longer than Victoria.
  • Options
    Mr. Estober, war mongers*

I don't think a more peaceful approach is necessarily unacceptable, the problem is that Corbyn appears to be very chummy with people whose interests are often diametrically opposed to our own.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Plato said:

It's curious to think that Kaufman's future already lay behind him, when he entered Parliament in 1970.
    Shadow Home Secretary under JC ?
  • Options
    We are about to see the start of one of the greatest shake ups in British politics since 1997 and possibly 1979 and very few people in the establishment, to which I include political betting, are aware. There is a zeitgeist shift.
  • Options
    And you wonder why I am so scathing about Mr Palmer.

Its nothing new. There have been rational thinking democrats who believe in our country (lets face it to the Corbyns of this world Roy Mason was a traitor) but there have always been the revolutionary fellow travellers aching to take over. The useful idiots look like laying out the red carpet for them this time.
    Interestingly Hodges points this out about Corbyn's senior advisor - ''As a senior adviser to Ed Miliband, it was Fletcher who designed the new voting system that is set to deliver Corbyn his against the odds victory.' Job done.
    Plus on UNITE man Murray, ''Murray is the man who organised the “spontaneous” oversubscribed public gatherings that characterise Corbynmania.'
  • Options
    ''There is a zeitgeist shift.''

Shift to what though...??
  • Options
    Estobar said:

We are about to see the start of one of the greatest shake ups in British politics since 1997 and possibly 1979 and very few people in the establishment, to which I include political betting, are aware. There is a zeitgeist shift.

The fracture of Labour ?
  • Options

I think it's a touch lower than that: 42% if Burnham finishes second and 41% if it's Cooper (as there'll be more AB-JC than YC-JC).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Plato said:
    So time travel IS possible after all?
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Here is a brilliant and better reason than this piece for Corbyn: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/gregor-cubie/jeremy-corbyn_b_8096364.html

Now more than ever we also need someone who will take on the war mongerers. The future of national security is not dependent on who The Sun or Daily Express decide we should next be bombing.

great piece. Allow me to summarise:

If you look back on your student days with regret and longing and hark back to those hazy, drunken, idealistic debates about putting the world to rights...then voting for Jezza will transport you right back to those times.
  • Options
    Some people actually voted for Kaufman to return to Parliament..scary..
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Plato said:

//twitter.com/PlatoSays/status/641253033448501248

Ah, Kaufman, the MP who wanted to fleece the taxpayer for £8,865 against the purchase of a 40-inch Bang & Olufsen TV and £1,461.83 for a rug. His expense claims would make Cooper blush.

Stick him in a room with some ISIL nutters and see how quickly he changes his mind.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Estobar said:

If you look back on your student days with regret and longing and hark back to those hazy, drunken, idealistic debates about putting the world to rights...then voting for Jezza will transport you right back to those times.
    You clearly haven't read it as he says he disagrees with Corbyn about student tuition fees.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Someone should tell the electorate -they rejected Jezza-lite in May as it was too left wing - no chance they will embrace full fat Ed.

• Options
    Titters

"Corbyn, by rallying people around his idealistic stances on nationalisation, is drawing attention to consumer concerns about prices more convincingly than the sensible but overly moderate and jellyish Ed Miliband ever could, and this can reap policy dividends even in opposition.

And that's how you win debates in a way that actually changes the law without moral sacrifice.

Ed Miliband's general election campaign, for all its failings, is proof that this is possible."
  • Options
    Estobar said:

My NewsSense™ alert just tripped...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Sean_F said:

Plato said:
    Isn't he due to go before the beak soon anyway. Kaufman, a self hating jew, and now a lover of all things Islamic.
  • Options
    taffys said:

The pragmatic cosy centrist consensus is being about to get an earthquake. It's not going to be an easy ride. Hell, there are even lots of cosy Labour MPs who are in for a shaking, but the article puts it very well. The political debate in Britain hasn't really advanced for 40 years. Thatcher won it back around 1983/4. Corbyn's about to challenge the status quo and I think that kind of cocksure public schoolboy grin we saw from Osborne yesterday is going to be wiped off a few faces. A massive shift in political debate, and therefore centre, is about to happen.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

TOPPING said:

Estobar said:

You clearly haven't read it as he says he disagrees with Corbyn about student tuition fees.
    he says that, yes. He also notes that Jezza's eg. People's QE is unworkable. So he acknowledges that Jezza's policies, which would affect millions of Britons, are fantasy. And still he supports him for the "shake up" in British politics.

But that is exactly archetypal student fantasy politics: idealistic theory vs pragmatic reality that the PM (and the LotO) have to consider and act upon. It is playing at politics.

(Welcome, btw!)
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Downing St revealed today that @nicolasturge FMinister's office informed on privy council terms of drone strike on Aberdeen's Ruhul Amin
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2015
    Estobar said:

taffys said:

The pragmatic cosy centrist consensus is being about to get an earthquake. It's not going to be an easy ride. Hell, there are even lots of cosy Labour MPs who are in for a shaking, but the article puts it very well. The political debate in Britain hasn't really advanced for 40 years. Thatcher won it back around 1983/4. Corbyn's about to challenge the status quo and I think that kind of cocksure public schoolboy grin we saw from Osborne yesterday is going to be wiped off a few faces. A massive shift in political debate, and therefore centre, is about to happen.
    Oh dear.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    SeanT said:

Re the London mayoralty, if one of the candidates came out against the random, horrible demolition of happy pubs I reckon they could get quite a few votes.

I'm all for the free market but property developers are now hollowing out the city.

http://deserter.co.uk/2015/09/pubwatch-the-gladstone-arms/

Typical Tory - all for the 'free' market until the negative effects cease falling solely on other people. :)
    I know you aren't really a Tory anyway, just a drama queen. Join us.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2015

"Has there been a more turbulent 6 months in the history of the Labour Party? I am sure there has"

I'm not so sure. There's the 1931 MacDonald fallout and the SDP's founding in 1981, but in neither case was the leadership about to be delivered into the hands of a serial rebel.

But look on the bright side: if this is a new record, it should be broken again over the next 6 months.
  • Options
    ''Oh dear.''

Yep. That Escobar post is a keeper...
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Oh dear.''

Yep. That Escobar post is a keeper...

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
  • Options
    It's also worth remembering, and the Tories will have been reminded by happy coincidence of this, that their majority is wafer thin. We've not seen such a slender majority since 1970-4.

There are even circumstances in which Corbyn could be PM before 2020 though I'm not betting on it myself. The point is that politics in Britain suddenly got interesting again. There's a hell of a lot of pent up anger dammed up behind Corbyn.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

Re the London mayoralty, if one of the candidates came out against the random, horrible demolition of happy pubs I reckon they could get quite a few votes.

I'm all for the free market but property developers are now hollowing out the city.

Typical Tory - all for the 'free' market until the negative effects cease falling solely on other people. :)

Free market doesn't mean "free for all". Do you not understand the difference?

• Options

Estobar said:

taffys said:

Oh dear.
    You know it's coming one way or another, I think, deep down. If not via Corbyn then as soon as another crack in the crumbling edifice opens up.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I'm still bemused that people are still trying to sell Liz Kendall as the "electable" candidate, when she went down even worse than Corbyn with those Newsnight focus groups of swing voters.
  • Options
    The Corbynites think that their man will be sufficiently different to appeal to a broader disenfranchised electorate, sick of parties that seem the same, run by smooth political figures. They will probably be right that the Labour Party will elect JC, but they won't get further. While the electorate as a whole may well be cynical about politics and politicians, Mr. Corbyn and all he stands for is not the solution. Why on earth did the other three Candidates not engage with the campaign until the eleventh hour?

Labour are making a historical and giant mistake.

The party is damaged whatever and whoever wins, but once Jeremy Corbyn becomes Leader they will really only be talking to their own echo chamber. The electorate won't be listening. Truly the culture of spin that Messers Blair, Mandelson and Campbell pioneered in the 1990s will reap its whirlwind...
  • Options
    Read that Ros Altman has voted having been apparently privately a member of both Labour and Tory! There is something a bit dishonest of that and when the BBC bring on people like her on as supposedly `neutral` experts there should make some attempt to be transparent about their guests `political` associations
  • Options

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

Free market doesn't mean "free for all". Do you not understand the difference?

Yes, the Tory term 'free market' means a 'free for all' for me and strict regulation for you.

• Options
    Estobar said:

It's also worth remembering, and the Tories will have been reminded by happy coincidence of this, that their majority is wafer thin. We've not seen such a slender majority since 1970-4.

There are even circumstances in which Corbyn could be PM before 2020 though I'm not betting on it myself. The point is that politics in Britain suddenly got interesting again. There's a hell of a lot of pent up anger dammed up behind Corbyn.

"There's a hell of a lot of pent up anger dammed up behind Corbyn."

That would be all the other Labour MPs.

• Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    FPT
    @Charles It's not the PM I'm worried about, its the MoD. Fallon has been sounding a bit over-excited as well.

@Plato I have some sympathy with you over not wanting the discussion to continue. Hard to get the tone right I suppose at the bottom of my angst is a fear that we will stop being careful and proportionate and end up being less like the good guys I hope we are. It may well be necessary to kill terrorists. But I don't want us to enjoy it.

• Options
    JWisemann said:

Estobar said:

taffys said:

Oh dear.
    You know it's coming one way or another, I think, deep down. If not via Corbyn then as soon as another crack in the crumbling edifice opens up.

'POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Smith
  • Options

The Corbynites think that their man will be sufficiently different to appeal to a broader disenfranchised electorate, sick of parties that seem the same, run by smooth political figures. They will probably be right that the Labour Party will elect JC, but they won't get further. While the electorate as a whole may well be cynical about politics and politicians, Mr. Corbyn and all he stands for is not the solution. Why on earth did the other three Candidates not engage with the campaign until the eleventh hour?

The scary version?

They are all secretly Corbynites!
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Estobar said:

taffys said:

Oh dear.

Definitely - there is about to be a huge vacuum where the Labour party once was - some sort of red Kipper party which stands for everything JC is against could fill it.

• Options
    MrsB, don't worry, in a few days discussion will all be about Corbyn's appalling victory/shock failure.

And the more important matter of F1 engines, of course.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,551

That would be all the other Labour MPs.

Too true, they might be keeping their heads down right now, but I can't see that lasting if he's elected.
  • Options
    So Keiran extolls the virtues of Cooper - but voted Kendall #1?
  • Options

MrsB, don't worry, in a few days discussion will all be about Corbyn's appalling victory/shock failure.

And the more important matter of F1 engines, of course.

What do the enormo-haddocks say?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited September 2015

As do house prices.

@SeanT: fancy swapping your flat in Primrose Hill (borders) for this lovely place?

http://search.knightfrank.co.uk/cho140377
  • Options
    Metatron said:

Read that Ros Altman has voted having been apparently privately a member of both Labour and Tory! There is something a bit dishonest of that and when the BBC bring on people like her on as supposedly `neutral` experts there should make some attempt to be transparent about their guests `political` associations

Presumably Ros Altman is anti UKIP, Lib Dem, Green and SNP.
  • Options
    Mr. Brackenbury, about Corbyn or engines?

They believe there's a done deal between Ferrari and Red Bull, and that the Lotus-Renault deal is near certain to proceed. Their views on Honda's engine are unprintable.

The enormo-haddock believe that Corbyn would be wise to avoid swimming in open water.
  • Options

Labour are making a historical and giant mistake.

The party is damaged whatever and whoever wins, but once Jeremy Corbyn becomes Leader they will really only be talking to their own echo chamber. The electorate won't be listening. Truly the culture of spin that Messers Blair, Mandelson and Campbell pioneered in the 1990s will reap its whirlwind...

The only question is where the first barricades will be erected, where the first direct action marches riots will take place. 'Anti Austerity-capitalist-warmongering-landlords for Peace' marchers.
    All organised by the democratic centralism of the New Socialist Labour Party.
  • Options
    They do say that fish is good for the brain. But it should't be applied externally...