Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Should Labour move swiftly to depose Corbyn?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,726
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Should Labour move swiftly to depose Corbyn?

Trading as short as 1/6, let us assume that Jeremy Corbyn wins. Let us also assume that the electoral cause of Labour will be better served by getting rid of him. Elections are won on the centre ground, and Stephen Bush has pretty conclusively shown that non-voters are not, collectively, an alternative viable route to victory.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Good article Mr Price. My view is that the move against him needs to come after a clear loss in 2016, should that happen. They can't leave it much longer as politics will move on to the EU referendum, then to what will happen with the PM and his position. Maybe it's just possible that Labour could switch to someone like Johnson late in the day, but it won't be enough to save the party in 2020.

Turning back to yesterday's events, we are only a few days away from Corbyn being responsible for giving the official response to news that the government blasted a bunch of terrorists to bits. Just think what his response would have been yesterday if he were at the Dispatch Box opposite the PM.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Another absolute classic Sun front page. Not a paper that sits on the fence!
    https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/640998724467052544
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sun Front Page :

Clearly a drone strike on X Factor should also be considered ....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    Though I'm not keen on these extra judicial killings it does seem bizarre that the world is being held to ransom by a few hundred clowns from Birmingham
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    JackW said:

Sun Front Page :

Clearly a drone strike on X Factor should also be considered ....

Sorry Jack, I disagree. The betting opportunities on the X Factor are fantastic.
  • Options
    TP

"If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well
    It were done quickly"

..........What's done cannot be undone.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,540
    This is just not going to happen. Gordon Brown was extremely close to clinically insane and paralysed in No. 10 unable to make decisions until he brought Mandelson back to run his government for him. Labour did nothing. Ed Miliband was just beyond useless with a tendency, after long periods of silence, to come out with indefensible ideas (policies would be far too generous). Labour did nothing.

We are about to have a Labour leader elected with the closest thing to a democratic mandate that a Labour leader has ever had. What right does anyone in the party have to challenge him? Why would that not be treating the membership with contempt (possibly deserved contempt but that is another matter)?

When Corbyn wins that is the settled view of the Labour membership. If the moderate section of the Labour party does not like it they can sod off somewhere else. That is the way democracy works. It's a bitch.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in contrast to the Sun, the BBC line is that Cameron faces "questions" about the drone strikes. They quote Corbyn:

"Labour leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn said "urgent consideration needs to be given to the appropriate process by which attacks such as this one are sanctioned, on what evidence and on what basis of law"."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34181475

I wonder who is closest to the public mood on this one?

Maybe they should get Chilcott to do a report on it so that the issue can be determined for the PM after next.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,563
    edited September 2015
    I can't see it happening either:

a) there's no precedent
    b) Corbyn may be superficially popular with the public for a few months or years
    c) the Conservatives will face mid-term blues probably starting this winter or maybe spring and maybe a recession and a lost vote on Europe
    d) the mandate thing.

So on the whole, I'd think that Corbyn will be there for most if not all of this Parliament.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Labour don't do coups.
    There is no mechanism.
    There is no credible candidate.
    There is no appetite for the gorefest that would be unleashed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    No leader could lead having ousted Corbyn before he was given a chance and even IDS had two years. If Corbyn failed to perform in polls then there may be a challenge
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Does anyone believe that these drones were targetted specifically on two people? It's complete bollocks

I suspect an ad campaign to run in Saudi for these amazing British drones that can find two wayward Brummies driving through the desert pretending to be Saladin
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Watson may have a degree of egg on his face (again) if his nonce-finding falls apart:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222908/Grave-doubts-claims-key-witnesses-VIP-sex-abuse-inquiry.html

If there were a single alternative then they should have stood. Labour have made their bed and will have to lie in it. Corbyn and Watson need to be seen to fail before they are defenestrated. We will see soon enough whether the Labour right have any backbone.
  • Options
    The BBC reporter just referred to it as "an execution". So much for political impartiality.
  • Options

Watson may have a degree of egg on his face (again) if his nonce-finding falls apart:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222908/Grave-doubts-claims-key-witnesses-VIP-sex-abuse-inquiry.html

(snip)

The behaviour of some MPs, journalists, and police has been disgraceful over this.

As for Watson himself: he's had to resign from front line positions twice. If he was made deputy, I'd say it's very likely that it would become three. The guy tries to be Mandelson, but is just incompetent.
  • Options
    What I expect to see is a number of senior MPs refusing to go into the Shadow Cabinet, fairly widespread failures to follow the Labour whip, humiliations for a man so far out of his depth that it will seem almost cruel and, maybe, just maybe, ultimately a resignation for the good of the party. The tests will come on national security, immigration and economic matters and they will come fairly thick and fast.

The problems are that this process will make Labour look completely unelectable (which of course they will be) and that Corbyn will want to hand over to someone of his ilk rather than a moderate. Good quality candidates of either stripe are not yet thick on the ground but Labour can only hope they evolve whilst this shambles is going on.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Does anyone believe that these drones were targetted specifically on two people?

Yep! If one were to hazard a guess, there are probably more than a handful of Brits (both the James Bond and Andy McNab types) in the region, doing a very good job on behalf of Queen and country. Expect more of the type of news that was announced yesterday, in the coming days and weeks.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Roger said:

Does anyone believe that these drones were targetted specifically on two people? It's complete bollocks

I suspect an ad campaign to run in Saudi for these amazing British drones that can find two wayward Brummies driving through the desert pretending to be Saladin

Looks like you should move to Birmingham and ditch France.

I'll take you in as a refugee. :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2015

The BBC reporter just referred to it as "an execution". So much for political impartiality.

Dare I say that the London liberal broadcast media are about to get a large dose of public opinion on this story!
  • Options
    An very well argued article from TP, though not one I agree with for two reasons.

Firstly, getting rid of a Labour leader is bloody difficult. The formal mechanism for doing it is so convoluted as to be designed to be unusable in all but the most extreme of circumstances. So it would have to come down to 'pressure' from the PLP: MPs refusing to serve on the front bench, disdainful acts of rebellion, open contempt for Corbyn and so on: actions designed to make the party ungovernable. But such actions have a cost both in public perception and in legacy: who is to say that having got a taste for acting independently, those MPs would come back under the whip afterwards. And of course there is the question of reselections that TP raises. How would such behaviour be viewed by the CLPs?

Secondly, Corbyn does need to be given enough rope. Certainly there are dangers in doing so, as TP rightly identifies, but they're smaller than the dangers in not doing so. If Corbyn isn't seen to fail then it would be a mighty slap in the face for the engaged public from the Westminster elite. I remember being at the Conservative conference when reform of the leadership rules was under discussion, at a time when the parliamentary party was unpopular for their perceived misbehaviour between 1992-7. The suggestion made from the podium that the MPs take the lion's share of any electoral college was shouted down in a pretty unprecedented act of rebellion. I can't imagine Labour would take it any better were an actual election to be effectively overruled. Were Corbyn to be deposed without having been given a chance, there would be a constant question of 'what would Jeremy have done'. He may well be happy to give a running commentary.

Some of the points TP makes are valid but not that related to the leadership. Would delay allow the left to take control of the party? I'm unconvinced. True, a Corbyn-led party would be more attractive to the far left, may push out some on the right and the leadership would obviously be far less willing to act against infiltrators. On the other hand, the PLP mounting a coup against the membership might galvanise the left to fight back, having the same effect. Either way, it's not going to happen overnight. Likewise, to what extent can the NEC elections be affected by a right-/left-leaning leadership?

All in all, Labour cannot move against Corbyn until his credibility is utterly shot, not just with the public at large but also with enough of the likes of Nick Palmer - mainstream members who voted for him as being worth a throw of the dice - to prevent the risk of any member of the far left from getting near the leadership again. There will be a cost to that but there's going to be a cost to whatever route Labour takes.
  • Options
    Roger said:

(snip)

It's called intelligence. Which is why you might think it's complete bollocks ...
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Roger,

"Though I'm not keen on these extra judicial killings ..."

You may not be, but electorally, this is like the Falklands. Especially if Jezza stands up to defend "our brave lads" and picks the wrong set.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Does anyone believe that these drones were targetted specifically on two people?

Yep! If one were to hazard a guess, there are probably more than a handful of Brits (both the James Bond and Andy McNab types) in the region, doing a very good job on behalf of Queen and country. Expect more of the type of news that was announced yesterday, in the coming days and weeks.
    More likely that our electronic spooks traced them via social media. I have no sympathy for the dead jihadis. Big boys games - big boys rules. They chose to join the slave trading rapist torturers, they deserve death.

But nonetheless it is a significant step outside previous actions. Parliament voted against these bombings. What price democracy and law in our dirty war against the terrorists?
  • Options
    Alanbrooke

"I'll take you in as a refugee. :-)"

Sounds good to me.

From what I hear I'll enjoy the fleshpots of Ludlow.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    RodCrosby said:

Labour don't do coups.
    There is no mechanism.
    There is no credible candidate.
    There is no appetite for the gorefest that would be unleashed.</blockquote

It would only happen if Corbyn did really poorly in the polls and so any bloodletting would be worth the risk. Remember before IDS the Tories had only really toppled Thatcher and that after dire post poll tax polls. The Tories even allowed Heath to fight three losing elections with only one victory and only getting rid of him in 1975 after two defeats in one year

• Options
    JL

"The BBC reporter just referred to it as "an execution". So much for political impartiality."

Well as that is exactly what the Prime Minister has described what do you expect them to call it?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

(snip)

The behaviour of some MPs, journalists, and police has been disgraceful over this.

As for Watson himself: he's had to resign from front line positions twice. If he was made deputy, I'd say it's very likely that it would become three. The guy tries to be Mandelson, but is just incompetent.

Read the stuff about Paul Gambachinii in the Mail. Justice in Britain.. Paaah.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    edited September 2015
    Why does the BBC feel the need to editorialise in the smallest statement? "The Government suffered an embarrassing defeat." If you are trying to to be impartial, which the BBC should be, surely it would be enough to say simply "The Government was defeated"?
  • Options
    Hopefully they got more than two..
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

More likely that our electronic spooks traced them via social media. I have no sympathy for the dead jihadis. Big boys games - big boys rules. They chose to join the slave trading rapist torturers, they deserve death.

But nonetheless it is a significant step outside previous actions. Parliament voted against these bombings. What price democracy and law in our dirty war against the terrorists?
    I wonder what the siren voices would be saying had there been an attack on British soil and people murdered by these nutters.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

The wording of the motion was:

Deplores the use of chemical weapons in Syria on 21 August 2013 by the Assad regime, which caused hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries of Syrian civilians;

Recalls the importance of upholding the worldwide prohibition on the use of chemical weapons under international law;

Agrees that a strong humanitarian response is required from the international community and that this may, if necessary, require military action that is legal, proportionate and focused on saving lives by preventing and deterring further use of Syria’s chemical weapons ...

Full text here: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmagenda/ob130829.htm

Parliament didn't vote against targeted strikes on individual terrorists.
  • Options
    Drone..bomb..sniper bullet..who cares.. job done
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    He'll win them over. As you say, he may not fail all the tests people will no doubt set, then they will dare to dream. He'll go of his own accord if it looks certain, rather than likely, that the party will be damaged,
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

htts://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/640998724467052544

The nuance us so subtle I almost missed it, but I think they are not concerned with any legal questions.
  • Options
    CD13

"You may not be, but electorally, this is like the Falklands. Especially if Jezza stands up to defend "our brave lads" and picks the wrong set"

That's funny but these bullshit stories have a way of unravelling. It starts off being picked up by cranks like Corbyn but then takes on a life of its own.

(Or to keep TP's theme going 'Things sweet.....prove in digestion sour'.)
  • Options
    Kle4..Legal schmegal.. these lads were plotting to pop Queenie..That sort of thing is illegal i would have thought...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Meanwhile, in contrast to the Sun, the BBC line is that Cameron faces "questions" about the drone strikes. They quote Corbyn:

"Labour leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn said "urgent consideration needs to be given to the appropriate process by which attacks such as this one are sanctioned, on what evidence and on what basis of law"."

Maybe they should get Chilcott to do a report on it so that the issue can be determined for the PM after next.

I think many people would sympathise in theory with the corbyn view but given this is the fist time it's happened and at a time of hysteria about all things Syria, I don't think most people would care enough about legalities at his point. After years of it happening and some errors, maybe then.
  • Options
    Roger said:

JL

"The BBC reporter just referred to it as "an execution". So much for political impartiality."

Well as that is exactly what the Prime Minister has described what do you expect them to call it?

When did he say that? So far he has described it as an act of self defence.
  • Options
    "All in all, Labour cannot move against Corbyn until his credibility is utterly shot, not just with the public at large but also with enough of the likes of Nick Palmer - mainstream members who voted for him as being worth a throw of the dice - to prevent the risk of any member of the far left from getting near the leadership again. There will be a cost to that but there's going to be a cost to whatever route Labour takes."

I think David Herdson has this absolutely right. At some stage, fundamentally decent, but totally misguided Labour members will come to realise that having as leader an anti-western, anti-capitalist apologist for terrorism who has spent 40 years sharing platforms with people who wish nothing but ill on the UK and its allies is not only politically stupid but also morally indefensible. At this stage, blinded by the grief and shock of Labour's defeat in may they are not yet ready to admit this. To move against Corbyn before they are is not feasible. Just how long it takes them to snap out of their current state of mind is harder to tell. I suspect there is some way to go yet, but that a defeat in the London mayoral election may act as something of a wake up call.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

htts://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/640998724467052544

The nuance us so subtle I almost missed it, but I think they are not concerned with any legal questions.
    Wozzername's back, innit?

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    It is a shame Jihadi John wasn't having a teabreak with them..it could have been a Tesco "three for the price of two"
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Was the vote in Parliament not about bombing Asad, rather than bombing ISIL?

I am sure that the govt would be happy to bring forward another vote about bombing the Daesh terrorists should they view one as necessary. Not that I expect the govt to play politics with something so serious, but it would also be a useful test of support for Mr Corbyn in his new role.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Wasn't Saladin Kurdish? They probably don't want to be him.

I recall a guest lecture at uni saying that Saladin was not as well known or reverted in the Muslim world until western historians focused on him for their own reasons - the noble opponent eye - as other leaders of the period were more pious or more successful. Interesting if true.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

It is a shame Jihadi John wasn't having a teabreak with them..

There's probably a photo somewhere of Jeremy Corbyn having tea with Jihadi John, before giving a statement of support for his 'friend'.
    </ sarcasm >
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    DavidL said:

The idea that we should disclose the intelligence strikes me as barmy. All that will do is allow the terrorists to evade whatever intelligence tactics we are using. The last thing we should be doing is revealing how we are keeping tabs on these loons.

Anyone going to IS should be under no illusion that they face the risk of death, a high risk I hope.

Of course, some of the criticism - certainly from Stop the War - is based on the fact that they don't want any sort of bombing of IS at all.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Good piece, Mr. Price. I'd guess the decision's already been taken. Or, it should've been. A coup needs to strike swiftly and without warning. Ringing people up after the decision will be too late, I suspect.

But then, I doubt Umunna has the intelligent ruthlessness of Septimius Severus.

Watched ITV News at Ten last night. Baffled by the bleating [well, except that from wet blanket fool Tim Farron] about killing off terrorists seeking to commit regicide.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Parliament doesn't have the legal power to make these decisions, do they? I thought that was one of the changes corbyn proposed on changes to the royal,prerogative exercised by the PM? Not unreasonable a debate it must be said.
  • Options
    Riger,

No one will give a monkey's toss about the legality. As far as they are concerned, it will be "About time." and "Bloody good riddance."

During the Falklands debate, Michael Foot had the sense to see this. And to be fair, he was a patriot. Is Jezza?
  • Options
    Roger said:

JL

The legal and targeted killing of specific individuals is an execution. It was decided that these two individuals should be killed and they were killed. Why be squeamish about it? They weren't murdered.

• Options
    Miss Cyclefree, not only that, it could compromise people on the ground helping us.

The idea Cameron should've asked 600 odd people their opinion instead of taking out a threat to the nation is ridiculous.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Excellent article, thank you @Tissue Price

Totally wrong, of course, but a good read nonetheless.

Two problems: (i) the PLP doesn't have the bottle to pull the trigger (ii) the members of the PLP are scheming little toerags who will be looking out for personal advantage which militates against any concerted action
  • Options
    Roger said:

What do you have against Birmingham? These loons were from Cardiff.
  • Options

If there were a single alternative then they should have stood. Labour have made their bed and will have to lie in it. Corbyn and Watson need to be seen to fail before they are defenestrated. We will see soon enough whether the Labour right have any backbone.

Watson will be an ally of those seeking to rein Corbyn in. He will not win Labour a single vote, but he is likely to make it very hard for the hard left to engineer a full takeover.

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

The idea that we should disclose the intelligence strikes me as barmy. All that will do is allow the terrorists to evade whatever intelligence tactics we are using. The last thing we should be doing is revealing how we are keeping tabs on these loons.

Anyone going to IS should be under no illusion that they face the risk of death, a high risk I hope.

Of course, some of the criticism - certainly from Stop the War - is based on the fact that they don't want any sort of bombing of IS at all.
    My prediction (made before Corbyn's candidacy) that henceforth there will be only Tories and traitors has come true already, I see.

• Options
    DavidL said:

What I expect to see is a number of senior MPs refusing to go into the Shadow Cabinet, fairly widespread failures to follow the Labour whip, humiliations for a man so far out of his depth that it will seem almost cruel and, maybe, just maybe, ultimately a resignation for the good of the party. The tests will come on national security, immigration and economic matters and they will come fairly thick and fast.

The problems are that this process will make Labour look completely unelectable (which of course they will be) and that Corbyn will want to hand over to someone of his ilk rather than a moderate. Good quality candidates of either stripe are not yet thick on the ground but Labour can only hope they evolve whilst this shambles is going on.

One of the problems is that the moderates have been so hopeless at articulating any sort of alternative story for Labour, let alone at selling it.

Faute de mieux - and this is Labour's shame and problem - Corbyn has had the best song. There needs to be some hard thinking on the part of the moderate Left before anything else not this casting around looking for possible saviours.
  • Options
    Great article, thanks TP.

As a quick strike against Leader Corbyn requires an ability to plan and co-ordinate and keep a secret.. why does anyone think there is any MP capable of carrying out such a plan?

After all, they cannot even think their way about how to run a Leadership campaign effectively....Jarvis could - but as he has no following .. very unlikely.

It also requires MPs to stand up and make themselves personal targets by the lefty loons who support Corbyn.. I don't fancy having my car vandalised or worse. Given the names they called Kendall, anything is possible.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If the public mood were the only thing to go by paediatricians would have been hanging from lampposts a few years back.

It is perfectly reasonable for the Sun to report yesterday's news in the way it did. But it is equally reasonable to report that following such unprecedented action the government and David Cameron will face questions about the decision that was taken. They will and they should. That is how a democracy works.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Parliament doesn't have the legal power to make these decisions, do they? I thought that was one of the changes corbyn proposed on changes to the royal,prerogative exercised by the PM? Not unreasonable a debate it must be said.

All they need is an active mobile phone (switched on) and found within 10 meters..
  • Options
    Cameron seemed to make a solid case for the strike in the HOC yesterday..I wonder how Labour and Limp Debs will attack him..for sure he would rightly be attacked if the loons plans had been successful.
  • Options
    Mr. Dodd, the muppet Farron was claiming the vote a few years ago meant no action should've occurred, despite the terrorist plots being orchestrated by the individuals in question.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I think many people would sympathise in theory with the corbyn view but given this is the fist time it's happened and at a time of hysteria about all things Syria, I don't think most people would care enough about legalities at his point. After years of it happening and some errors, maybe then.
    Given the way ordinary people stood at Wootten Bassett to honour the returning dead soldiers, I somehow doubt that they will sympathise with those who urge people to kill British soldiers, as Corbyn has done. I also doubt that they will sympathise with those who have publicly stated that they want to attack us in Britain as IS have done

• Options

DavidL said:

If the public mood were the only thing to go by paediatricians would have been hanging from lampposts a few years back.

It is perfectly reasonable for the Sun to report yesterday's news in the way it did. But it is equally reasonable to report that following such unprecedented action the government and David Cameron will face questions about the decision that was taken. They will and they should. That is how a democracy works.

It's hopeless, SO - how do markets work? Reasoned analysis, or sentiment? Why isn't the former enough? Because there isn't enough time to make use of its output.

Remember, the average Peebie regards emotional maturity as a form of insult. As does JC, or any other power-hungry politician - it stands between them and what they want.

• Options

Cameron seemed to make a solid case for the strike in the HOC yesterday..I wonder how Labour and Limp Debs will attack him..for sure he would rightly be attacked if the loons plans had been successful.

Paper summary on the BBC quotes some legal professor questioning if criteria on 'imminence' of an attack to justify an act in self defence. In the USA, supposedly, government lawyers define the word immune in such a way as to mean 'not imminent' . Oh those wacky lawyers. But I can't see the mainstream getting worked up about it right now, the questions are more for the later record.
  • Options

Roger said:

JL

The legal and targeted killing of specific individuals is an execution. It was decided that these two individuals should be killed and they were killed. Why be squeamish about it? They weren't murdered.

An execution is killing someone on the verdict of a court. This was just a legitimate act of war.
  • Options
    MD Can you imagine the shrieking from the same people if Cameron had done nothing and the loons had been successful..Gonna be an interesting four years..
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It is a shame Jihadi John wasn't having a teabreak with them..

There's probably a photo somewhere of Jeremy Corbyn having tea with Jihadi John, before giving a statement of support for his 'friend'.
    </ sarcasm >
    There are certainly pictures of him with Moazzem Begg, the founder of CAGE, who is the supporter of Jihadi John - remember the "gentle boy" comment.

Tricky things, these 7 degrees of separation......

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Given the way ordinary people stood at Wootten Bassett to honour the returning dead soldiers, I somehow doubt that they will sympathise with those who urge people to kill British soldiers, as Corbyn has done. I also doubt that they will sympathise with those who have publicly stated that they want to attack us in Britain as IS have done

You misinterpret what bit people might sympathise with In your anti corbyn haste - I mean they might sympathise with a level of unease over the precise legal justification, in case it is too broad, but that right now people won't care enough about that to press the issue.

And it's royal Wooten bassett now, I believe it's customary to refer to places by their current name even if about events in the past unless one doing a historical piece.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Hopefully they got more than two..

Allegedly they got Sally Jones's toyboy too...
  • Options
    RC..Not familiar with that story..who Sally Jones....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    At the time of charlie hebdo I worried that strikes against IS would provoke a violent reaction from sympathetic muslims in the UK. Let's hope not

But my gut feeling is I'm glad we did it
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,222

How else would you describe it John, no different to what ISIS do , just more sophisticated weapons.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    edited September 2015
    Good article Tissue price, but I don't think its a good idea to have a long drawn out election campaign followed by a quick coup. It would impress tories and alienate lefties w the net result of losing labour votes IMo
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, if we're afraid to kill those who would kill us in case of a revenge attack, we might as well run the black flag up Buckingham Palace and be done with it.

You're right that a retaliation might occur. The answer's to hit ISIS as hard and often as possible.
  • Options

Roger said:

JL

An execution is killing someone on the verdict of a court. This was just a legitimate act of war.
    Did we declare war on Syria?
  • Options
    Mr. G, disagree vehemently. The individuals were not physically/psychologically tortured, nor were their deaths filmed for propaganda purposes.

In a war, people die. If those people are murderous terrorist scum, then huzzah.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Good piece, Mr. Price. I'd guess the decision's already been taken. Or, it should've been. A coup needs to strike swiftly and without warning. Ringing people up after the decision will be too late, I suspect.

But then, I doubt Umunna has the intelligent ruthlessness of Septimius Severus.

Watched ITV News at Ten last night. Baffled by the bleating [well, except that from wet blanket fool Tim Farron] about killing off terrorists seeking to commit regicide.

MD, you are easily taken in , bet you believed Blair as well.
  • Options

Roger said:

JL

Daesh pretty much declared war on us. The Syrian state is irrelevant.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    Spain Political News:

Podemos and IU (the renamed Communist Party) have agreed to run a merged list at Spanish elections later this year.

IU has been polling 3-4% in the polls, while Podemos is on about 16%.

There are two ways this could play out: One, it could result in the combined party up around the 20% mark - still in third, and 10% behind the PP, but scoring much better in seat numbers than previously. Two, given Podemos's historic criticisms of the Communists, and their claim to "not be like other political parties" is could cause some of their more moderate members to drift in the direction of PSOE and Citizen's.

A wild guess would be that Podemos will take 2% of the IU vote, with the other 1.5% splitting between PSOE and Citizen's.

The best bet, currently, would be that the PP gets around 30% of the vote and 40% of the seats, and is able to govern in coalition with Citizen's.

The wildcard is Catalonia, where the various nationalist groupings have created a single "independence" platform, which is polling around 40-44% in the region. (Citizen's in a strong second in Catalonia.) There have been suggestions that if the nationalists score 50+% then they will go for UDI. (I would be surprised if they did this, but hey...)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I have suggested in the past that the best approach to those declaring for IS and related organisations is Outlawry. This would make it legal to kill them anywhere and by any means. They should be able to turn themselves in for trial as an option, but otherwise have the crosshairs on their face. I am fairly relaxed about drone strikes or special forces ambushes and raids with shoot to kill policy, coupled with extensive intelligence penetration and electronic surveillance. Similar strategy with supergrasses worked reasonably well against the IRA.

But we have now bombed a country at which we are not at war, and it at least mandates a bit of discussion on the legal niceties of a "dirty war".

• Options

Roger said:

JL

The targets were not Syrian nor even in territory controlled by the Syrian state. We may not wish to officially work with them given Assad, but I doubt he minded this breach of his nominal borders.
  • Options
    Mr. G, what do you think Cameron's lying about?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

You misinterpret what bit people might sympathise with In your anti corbyn haste - I mean they might sympathise with a level of unease over the precise legal justification, in case it is too broad, but that right now people won't care enough about that to press the issue.
    Fair enough. One of the consequences - a baleful one - of Blair's misuse of intelligence before the Iraq war is a scepticism about government reliance on it. I have no problem with publication of legal advice provided it does not compromise our intelligence.

But I have no patience with those who seem to ignore the Government's primary duty, which is to keep us safe and protect us from our enemies which include these terrorist loons, and some of whom give the impression that they are more concerned with polishing their own moral halo or attacking the U.S. (as some woman on the Today programme was a few minutes ago) than preventing harm and stopping evil-doers.

• Options
    Mr Observer,

"f the public mood were the only thing to go by paediatricians would have been hanging from lampposts a few years back."

A little unfair. I've no doubt you could find the odd loon as you describe, but it would be difficult to find any sympathy at all from the great mass of the public for the Cardiff duo.

A tragedy for the family but some good can come from it.

I remember being surprised by one of the 9/11 hijackers leaving a will specifying that his body not be handled by females. As if flying into a steel structure at hundreds of miles an hour while sitting on a thousand gallons of aviation fuel would leave more than a sooty speck behind.

They have a romantic view of their possible death, not being blown to bits without warning from the skies. A bit of realism might just discourage the odd one from going.
  • Options

Cameron = Blair, were they carrying WMD's by any chance.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Spain Political News:

Podemos and IU (the renamed Communist Party) have agreed to run a merged list at Spanish elections later this year.

There are two ways this could play out: One, it could result in the combined party up around the 20% mark - still in third, and 10% behind the PP, but scoring much better in seat numbers than previously. Two, given Podemos's historic criticisms of the Communists, and their claim to "not be like other political parties" is could cause some of their more moderate members to drift in the direction of PSOE and Citizen's.

A wild guess would be that Podemos will take 2% of the IU vote, with the other 1.5% splitting between PSOE and Citizen's.

The best bet, currently, would be that the PP gets around 30% of the vote and 40% of the seats, and is able to govern in coalition with Citizen's.

The wildcard is Catalonia, where the various nationalist groupings have created a single "independence" platform, which is polling around 40-44% in the region. (Citizen's in a strong second in Catalonia.) There have been suggestions that if the nationalists score 50+% then they will go for UDI. (I would be surprised if they did this, but hey...)

The independence bloc in Catalonia is running explicitly on a platform of declaring independence if it gets a majority of seats.

• Options

Roger said:

JL

When did we declare war on two numpties John.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    What is wrong with some people on Twitter these days? Just been compared to Hitler for saying the decision to strike those two ISIS fighters was correct. Are these people so far removed from the real world they think all this would be solved with a couple of strongly worded letters? Ugh.
  • Options
    MD..I think the majority of people believed Blair when he told his lie..except all those bright lads in SCOTLAND..cant remember much protest at the time tho...
  • Options
    Mr. Abode, yes, alas.

Mr. G, killing terrorists who sought to kill us is no bad thing. I'm quite surprised by your stance on this.
  • Options

Mr. G, disagree vehemently. The individuals were not physically/psychologically tortured, nor were their deaths filmed for propaganda purposes.

In a war, people die. If those people are murderous terrorist scum, then huzzah.

Only according to Cameron and his buddies, I would not trust them as far as I could fling them. We have been here before, it is just state sponsored murder, with immunity for the perpetrators.
  • Options

What is wrong with some people on Twitter these days? Just been compared to Hitler for saying the decision to strike those two ISIS fighters was correct. Are these people so far removed from the real world they think all this would be solved with a couple of strongly worded letters? Ugh.

These are the Corbyn voters...not in the real world.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited September 2015
    The British Jihadists in Syria are out there involved in raping and marrying young girls, the torturing of children, the tearing apart of families and are openly cutting off the heads of innocent people in the streets. That's aside from barbequeing non-believers and the archaic practice of tying each limb of an infidel to four different horses and making those horses run in different directions.

They are smuggling themselves out of a tolerant, democratic country in order to take part in barbarism like this.

Bollocks to the acute legalities of it. If the British Army killed every single one of them and Cameron came to parliament to express his glee with a raised glass of brandy I wouldn't give a flying feck. It would increase the chances of young children and innocent families being saved from an evil, sickening ideology and a massive majority of Brits would support it.

Every minute the BBC spend handwringing about it Channel 4 should show repeats of their documentary of those amazingly brave Kurds on the Syrian border risking their lives to save their raped daughters from ISIS in Raqqa.
  • Options
    Mr. G, they appeared in ISIS propaganda videos. I don't think they're in ISIS-controlled territory doing humanitarian work.
  • Options

Roger said:

JL

Daesh pretty much declared war on us. The Syrian state is irrelevant.
    Your "pretty much" gives away the truth - only states can declare war, and Da'esh neither is nor wants to be a state, as international law understands it, not least because Da'esh wants to abolish secular international law.

Why doesn't the Government try harder to get an international convention to deal with this unprecedented situation? Because it wants to sell arms to Saudi, and Saudi (or bits of it) fund Da'esh.

• Options

Mr. G, what do you think Cameron's lying about?

MD he is just desperate to get us involved in Syria after the bloody nose he got last time. Easy for these liars to pretend there is some great plot , ie Blair and WMD. They will do anything , using the supine media, to further their ambitions. Will be interesting if all on here are so happy when the bodybags are flying in again, for sure the armchair warriors will be all for it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I have suggested in the past that the best approach to those declaring for IS and related organisations is Outlawry. This would make it legal to kill them anywhere and by any means. They should be able to turn themselves in for trial as an option, but otherwise have the crosshairs on their face. I am fairly relaxed about drone strikes or special forces ambushes and raids with shoot to kill policy, coupled with extensive intelligence penetration and electronic surveillance. Similar strategy with supergrasses worked reasonably well against the IRA.

But we have now bombed a country at which we are not at war, and it at least mandates a bit of discussion on the legal niceties of a "dirty war".

Wasn't IS held territory bombed?
  • Options
    "When did we declare war on two numpties.."..Maybe the day we found out that they had declared war on us..unfortunately war is a two way street...the altrnative is surrender....
  • Options

MD..I think the majority of people believed Blair when he told his lie..except all those bright lads in SCOTLAND..cant remember much protest at the time tho...

You have selective memory Doddie , Salmond spoke on it often at the time.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

rcs1000 said:

Spain Political News:

The independence bloc in Catalonia is running explicitly on a platform of declaring independence if it gets a majority of seats.

I still don't think they'll declare UDI without a referendum. And I think - even if independence were won - it would be a negotiated departure from Spain.

UDI would certainly mean no EU; what currency would they use? How would the government borrow? What asset's would be Catalonia's rather than the Spanish government's.

The latest opinion polls have support for independence on 44%, and support has been falling since mid 2012 (when it was briefly above 50%). I think support for "disorganised" independence would be much lower.

This discussion has been closed.