Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The way’s clear for Carly Fiorina to take on Trump directly

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited September 2015
    I pop back to the most absurd argument. You're asserting that Syrians would prefer to return to their war torn homes than remain in Hungary outside a train station?

Piffle squared. And France should buy a DeLorean and undo its colonial past and and and.

You aren't using your critical faculties. Stop and think - it sounds like a lot of heart talking and not much of head.

Cyclefree said:

No - they are not refugees once they reach Hungary. They are not at risk of persecution or death in Hungary.

And Britain is at risk from IS precisely because of the Muslim communities here, which provide a route in. So it's bloody silly to increase those communities with people from the very same country where that extremist group is located.

Muslims are safe in Tunisia. It is not Muslims who were targeted by the two atrocities. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Syrian Muslims would not be safe there.

They are, since as I said before Hungary isn't planning on giving them a place to stay. Therefore they are at risk of going back to Syria. And Britain is at risk from IS because of it's meddling in the Middle East. Muslims may not have been targeted by the atrocities in that case, but IS will attack anyone who they see fit, Muslim or not.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

And did Merkel engage with other EU leaders, including Cameron, before making her recent decision? Because if she didn't it's a bit much to criticise Cameron for the same thing.

Britain is contributing, is doing rather more than other EU states - as others have pointed out. The criticism is that she is not doing exactly what the others want. Well the Germans are not doing what we want either. No EU state has the moral high ground here - and policy driven by sentimentality, emotional blackmail and newspaper headlines is usually bad policy.

But Merkel is providing a solution that would be harmful to the people of Europe, if provided across the board. Mass migration from failed states has not been a happy experience for Europe.
    I don't agree. I think these Syrian refugees want nothing more than a safe place to live, and will contribute to the countries that accept them. There's a difference between the mass immigration of economic migrants, and the immigration of genuine refugees.
    Genuine refugees want to be safe. Will they be safer in Germany than anywhere else in the EU. No? So why do they chant "Germany, Germany" in English outside the Budapest railway station. You're a straw in the wind.
    Because Hungary doesn't want them, and Germany is the one welcoming them the most. That's why.
    Well then Germany can keep them.

Germany can't house them all, that's the whole point.
    She shouldn't have invited them all in then. Germany anyway has a declining population, low density and lots of space. It is also rich so it probably could. It should have thought of such matters before making the policy.

I suggest you also do some reading on the history of France's relationship with North Africa. Most of the Arab migration into France happened after those countries became independent. There was nothing inevitable about such immigration. It was a choice made by France, which has not turned out well and which many in France, not merely the NF, regret making. We would do well to learn from their experience rather than repeat it.

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Cyclefree said:

And did Merkel engage with other EU leaders, including Cameron, before making her recent decision? Because if she didn't it's a bit much to criticise Cameron for the same thing.

Britain is contributing, is doing rather more than other EU states - as others have pointed out. The criticism is that she is not doing exactly what the others want. Well the Germans are not doing what we want either. No EU state has the moral high ground here - and policy driven by sentimentality, emotional blackmail and newspaper headlines is usually bad policy.

Merkel is providing a solution. Cameron isn't - that's why I've called on him to engage with other EU leaders. Britain has offered aid, but that clearly isn't enough to deal with this crisis - and Germany's offer to allow many of these refugees to stay, now trumps Britain's 'contribution' because it actually involves saving lives. The criticism is that Cameron is doing nothing. Unless PB believes a policy of merely giving aid that doesn't deal with the growing crisis is enough. I don't.

And much of the government's policy, particularly its stance on welfare is informed by newspaper headlines. They are afterall, supposed to represent the WVM - the only group which matters.

@kle4 That's for Cameron to decide, he's the PM after all. Although I think a sensible compromise would be one which looks to help stablise the Middle East.

@Sean_F And as I've said before, clearly that is not enough to deal with this crisis. This crisis has gone beyond that now, and is getting worse and worse.

@Tykejohnno That's up for the UK government to decide.
    If we took ten thousand,it would be never enough for some,we then would have a immigration crisis on our border with more people seeing Britain taking thousands in.

What would also letting in a certain number do the mass immigration of Europe,nothing,it would be a pin prick but it would cause problems here with councils already struggling with our asylum cases.
    I think for many even taking 1 in would be enough. It would be a life saved.
    What naive, idiotic tosh, So all Cameron has to say is "okay, we'll take 1" and everyone is happy. Foolish girl.
    PB Tory having a meltdown because someone doesn't agree with him. Oh dear.
    Did you not mean that taking 1 would be enough? Sorry I thought that as you'd written it you meant it
  • Options

You'll have to toughen up if you want a career in politics

I'm not going into politics as a career.
  • Options

You'll have to toughen up if you want a career in politics

I'm not going into politics as a career.
    A wise decision
  • Options
    Plato said:

I pop back to the most absurd argument. You're asserting that Syrians would prefer to return to their war torn homes than remain in Hungary outside a train station?

Piffle squared. And France should buy a DeLorean and undo its colonial past and and and.

You aren't using your critical faculties. Stop and think - it sounds like a lot of heart talking and not much of head.

Cyclefree said:

No - they are not refugees once they reach Hungary. They are not at risk of persecution or death in Hungary.

And Britain is at risk from IS precisely because of the Muslim communities here, which provide a route in. So it's bloody silly to increase those communities with people from the very same country where that extremist group is located.

Muslims are safe in Tunisia. It is not Muslims who were targeted by the two atrocities. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Syrian Muslims would not be safe there.

They are, since as I said before Hungary isn't planning on giving them a place to stay. Therefore they are at risk of going back to Syria. And Britain is at risk from IS because of it's meddling in the Middle East. Muslims may not have been targeted by the atrocities in that case, but IS will attack anyone who they see fit, Muslim or not.
    Where have I said Syrians would prefer to return to Syria rather than remain in Hungary? I think they'd love to remain in Hungary, but Hungary doesn't want them.

France shouldn't undo it's colonial past: it should face up to it.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,958

Mortimer said:

In which case Merkel shouldn't have invited them...

Immigration doesn't happen in a vacuum. Someone hears that they're welcome somewhere, likely to get higher benefits in x vs y, then they risk death to get to x. In my view not actively discouraging immigration to Western Europe causes more direct harm than it does good.

Merkel invited the ones she house to Germany.

You're right immigration doesn't happen in a vacuum. The West have a done a lot to help cause this crisis, and exacerbate the problems in the Middle East as a whole.
    You're getting dangerously close to accepting that Merkel's promise is encouraging more migration. Migration that is uncontrolled, because it is more than Germany can cope with.

Do you see now why this could be a foolish plan, and was a phenomenally stupid comment to make as de facto first politician of Europe.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Anyone got any statistics on how many Third World countries have agreed to take their fellow Third Worlders?
  • Options
    Goodnight those who are left. I'm to my bed, I've started to feel a bit embarrassed for Miss A and that won't do.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

She shouldn't have invited them all in then. Germany anyway has a declining population, low density and lots of space. It is also rich so it probably could. It should have thought of such matters before making the policy.

I suggest you also do some reading on the history of France's relationship with North Africa. Most of the Arab migration into France happened after those countries became independent. There was nothing inevitable about such immigration. It was a choice made by France, which has not turned out well and which many in France, not merely the NF, regret making. We would do well to learn from their experience rather than repeat it.

Merkel invited them to Germany, not to Europe. Her proposal regarding Europe was an EU-wide policy on the situation.

I'm also aware that the immigration happened after they became independent. But given, that like many other former Empire-owners France hardly left their ex-colonies in the best condition, immigration to a better life from North Africans was inevitable. Many of these colonies, like with the British Empire contributed to wealth and economic well-being of their 'mother-country'. It's not unreasonable that immigrants would want to see some benefit of that.

• Options
    Look at your own posts in this specific thread. Here are your own words in the nested comments
    They are, since as I said before Hungary isn't planning on giving them a place to stay. Therefore they are at risk of going back to Syria.
    And France can't undo the past - what do you mean *facing up to it*? I'm totally perplexed.

Plato said:

Cyclefree said:

Where have I said Syrians would prefer to return to Syria rather than remain in Hungary? I think they'd love to remain in Hungary, but Hungary doesn't want them.

France shouldn't undo it's colonial past: it should face up to it.
  • Options
    @ReggieCide I feel a bit embarrassed for you.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Immigration doesn't happen in a vacuum. Someone hears that they're welcome somewhere, likely to get higher benefits in x vs y, then they risk death to get to x. In my view not actively discouraging immigration to Western Europe causes more direct harm than it does good.

You're right immigration doesn't happen in a vacuum. The West have a done a lot to help cause this crisis, and exacerbate the problems in the Middle East as a whole.
    You're getting dangerously close to accepting that Merkel's promise is encouraging more migration. Migration that is uncontrolled, because it is more than Germany can cope with.

Do you see now why this could be a foolish plan, and was a phenomenally stupid comment to make as de facto first politician of Europe.

Migration was going to happen irregardless of what Merkel said. Merkel comments' were a step to actually doing something about this crisis.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Anyone got any statistics on how many Third World countries have agreed to take their fellow Third Worlders?

It was a while back, I know, but India took in an estimated 10 million refugees during the Bangladesh War of 1971. About 1.5 million decided to stay in India after the Pakistani surrender...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,958

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Migration was going to happen irregardless of what Merkel said. Merkel comments' were a step to actually doing something about this crisis.
    Can't fault your logic. Making something worse is indeed 'doing something'....

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    The Arab World is rich, both culturally and materially. The Arabs were once more advanced than the West.

Countries like Syria or Iraq or Algeria or Libya have abundant natural resources. They should be stable, prosperous, scientifically advanced countries (as the only non-Arab countries in the Near-East, Turkey and Israel, are).

They are not. The Arab World, which stretches from Mauritania on the Atlantic to the Gulf States has hardly any functioning, viable, prosperous, reasonably democratic states (perhaps Tunisia & Jordan).

It has a huge number of failed states in which various barbaric religious factions fight for control.

At some level, the Arab World has to take responsibility for this massive collective failure.

• Options
    Plato said:

Look at your own posts in this specific thread. Here are your own words in the nested comments

They are, since as I said before Hungary isn't planning on giving them a place to stay. Therefore they are at risk of going back to Syria.
    And France can't undo the past - what do you mean *facing up to it*? I'm totally perplexed.

I don't see how that comment equates to what you've said. I just said that they are still refugees because Hungary won't house them. Therefore, they are at risk of going back to Syria.

And France should stop blaming migrants, and their descendants for their problems and act as if they've ruined France, and voting for racists such as Marine Le Pen. They should ask themselves why other countries who've had immigration from ex-colonies have handled it far better then they have.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    edited September 2015

Cyclefree said:

So many things wrong in that post it's hard to know where to begin. Syrians in Hungary are not at risk of death or persecution in Hungary.

Britain is at risk from IS not because of its meddling in the Middle East but because IS has an explicit goal to attack us in order to achieve its caliphate which extends into Europe and as part of its ideological battle against the infidel.

You have made no case for saying that Tunisia is not safe for Syrian Muslims. And if being at risk of IS attack is a reason for not declaring Tunisia safe then the same applies squared for Britain and France and Belgium and Denmark and Spain.

Anyway it is now late.

So goodnight to all.

• Options
    And @AndyJS What on earth is the frequency of Black/Asian couples got to do with anything?
  • Options
    Well quite. Honestly, I have bugger all sympathy for the lot of them. How very un PC of me.

The Arab World is rich, both culturally and materially. The Arabs were once more advanced than the West.

Countries like Syria or Iraq or Algeria or Libya have abundant natural resources. They should be stable, prosperous, scientifically advanced countries (as the only non-Arab countries in the Near-East, Turkey and Israel, are).

They are not. The Arab World, which stretches from Mauritania on the Atlantic to the Gulf States has hardly any functioning, viable, prosperous, reasonably democratic states (perhaps Tunisia & Jordan).

It has a huge number of failed states in which various barbaric religious factions fight for control.

At some level, the Arab World has to take responsibility for this massive collective failure.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

So many things wrong in that post it's hard to know where to begin. Syrians in Hungary are not at risk of death or persecution in Hungary.

Britain is at risk from IS not because of its meddling in the Middle East but because IS has an explicit goal to attack us in order to achieve its caliphate which extends into Europe and as part of its ideological battle against the infidel.

You have made no case for saying that Tunisia is not safe for Syrian Muslims. And if being at risk of IS attack is a reason for not declaring Tunisia safe then the same applies squared for Britain and France and Belgium and Denmark and Spain.

Anyway it is now late.

So goodnight to all.

YES but my point is, is that Hungary isn't planning on letting them stay there. THAT'S my point. It's hardly a crumb of comfort that you are temporarily safe. In the long term those migrants can't stay in a Hungarian tube station. Something has to be done.

IS was created in the aftermath of her invasion of Iraq. Had that not happening we wouldn't have IS and their explicit goal to attack us. And I have made a case for Tunisia being not safe for Syrian Muslims. It's not just IS attack; it's ISIS actually invading a country and doing to Tunisia what they've done to Syria. A danger we clearly don't face. IS may attack us, but they aren't going to be controlling London instead of Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited September 2015
    Plato said:

Well quite. Honestly, I have bugger all sympathy for the lot of them. How very un PC of me.

You have NO sympathy for any of the Syrian refugees? It's hardly their fault their own governments messed up.

• Options
    Eh? If their native land is so awful - they'll go back to it? Because Hungarians won't roll over and give them a house? I never knew refugees were so picky - death vs nice accommodation.

Twaddle. I'm off to Netflix.

Plato said:

I don't see how that comment equates to what you've said. I just said that they are still refugees because Hungary won't house them. Therefore, they are at risk of going back to Syria.

And France should stop blaming migrants, and their descendants for their problems and act as if they've ruined France, and voting for racists such as Marine Le Pen. They should ask themselves why other countries who've had immigration from ex-colonies have handled it far better then they have.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2015

And @AndyJS What on earth is the frequency of Black/Asian couples got to do with anything?

It's an example of the fact that the dominant PC view that white people are most likely to be racist is completely wrong. Nearly every mixed race couple involves a white person. The real racism exists between groups other than whites.

I was talking about the subject because I was saying that there would probably be problems with black African countries taking in Arab refugees.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's an example of the fact that the dominant PC view that white people are most likely to be racist is completely wrong. Nearly every mixed race couple involves a white person. The real racism exists between groups other than whites.
    Did you marry outside your race, Andy?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Plato said:

Eh? If their native land is so awful - they'll go back to it? Because Hungarians won't roll over and give them a house? I never knew refugees were so picky - death vs nice accommodation.

Twaddle. I'm off to Netflix.

Plato said:

Not that they'll want to go back to it - but obviously Hungary will put them back in Syria if they aren't keeping them there.

You're calling stuff twaddle that you've completely gone and mis-interpreted.

• Options
    @AndyJS You're forgetting half of those mixed race couples involve ethnic minorities. Who according to you are apparently the 'real racists'....
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

It was a while back, I know, but India took in an estimated 10 million refugees during the Bangladesh War of 1971. About 1.5 million decided to stay in India after the Pakistani surrender...
    Well, that's interesting enough, but as a localised ethno-religious conflict from long ago, it was not what I was specifically interested in.

How many Third World countries are stepping up to the plate to take Libyans, Syrians, Iraqis, Afghans, etc, and where are the queues, riots, tragedies and equivalent mass hysteria and guilt as we are being subjected to at the moment?
  • Options
    How many Third World countries can actually take in migrants?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    We are going to have to take in a fairly large number of refugees due to the situation having reached the point it has. I hope we and they make the best of it.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Well, that's interesting enough, but as a localised ethno-religious conflict from long ago, it was not what I was specifically interested in.

How many Third World countries are stepping up to the plate to take Libyans, Syrians, Iraqis, Afghans, etc, and where are the queues, riots, tragedies and equivalent mass hysteria and guilt as we are being subjected to at the moment?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Next to nothing, then.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Next to nothing, then.
    Er, the top 5 countries are:

Turkey 1,758,092 Syrian refugees
    Lebanon 1,196,560
    Jordan 628,427
    Iraq 247,861
    Egypt 133,862
  • Options

If they can maintain several hundred million of their own people in poverty and backwardness, taking a few more from similar countries should have minimal impact on them...

Why is it that these people are making a beeline for Europe, and we are falling over ourselves to accommodate all comers, at least philosophically, for the moment?
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Next to nothing, then.

Lebanon 1,196,560
    Jordan 628,427
    Iraq 247,861
    Egypt 133,862
    Most of those would probably have been classed as second-world countries until recently.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Next to nothing, then.

Lebanon 1,196,560
    Jordan 628,427
    Iraq 247,861
    Egypt 133,862
    Most of those would probably have been classed as second-world countries until recently.
    The "second-world" was the Communist Bloc, surely.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2015
    I am starting from the assumption that we can, and will, take a suitable proportion of Syrian refugees.
    We need to do two things to enable this:
    1) Clear up the political mess caused by Germany
    2) Offer the Great British Public something in return

Germany has caused a political mess by its unilateral reactions to the refugee emergency. It has suspended standing EU rules (Dublin Convention) and attempted to dictate to other EU counties that they must accept a quota of immigrants. It has no authority to do this, and is an unwise heavy-handed move (especially coming so soon after bossing Greece around, regardless of whether you think that Greece deserved it or not)

The UK response should be to say that they will follow the German example and adopt temporary emergency measures in order to deal with the crisis. So that they can sell the deal to a British Public who are concerned about record immigration levels, in return for taking in a generous quota of Syrian refugees the UK will temporarily suspend free movement of labour from EU countries.

This does NOT mean that there will be no EU immigration to the UK, but merely that it will be placed on a similar managed basis to applications from the rest of the world (1)

We would stress that these are only temporary measures and would be dropped once we see that there was no need for them.

Of course we would make damn sure that we always needed the "temporary" measures from now on.

(1) This is so that skill shortages can be met, and any other required roles filled. "Good" immigration is great stuff!
  • Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_2011_Libyan_Civil_War

[On] August 5, 2014, Tunisian President Moncef Marzouki stated that two million Libyans, or one third of the pre NATO intervention population of Libya, have taken refuge in Tunisia. [4]
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Next to nothing, then.

Lebanon 1,196,560
    Jordan 628,427
    Iraq 247,861
    Egypt 133,862
    If you read the small print, I think you'll find most of these are on a very temporary basis, effectively 'displaced persons', as you would expect to find in near-neighbours to the conflict(s).

The message still seems to be, however, 'cadge a lift to Europe as fast as you can...'

Why not Nigeria, Tanzania, Kenya, Saudi, Iran, Russia, etc?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Next to nothing, then.

Lebanon 1,196,560
    Jordan 628,427
    Iraq 247,861
    Egypt 133,862
    If you read the small print, I think you'll find most of these are on a very temporary basis, effectively 'displaced persons', as you would expect to find in near-neighbours to the conflict(s).

The message still seems to be, however, 'cadge a lift to Europe as fast as you can...'

Oh believe me, I personally see the migrants, er, "swarming" into Europe as little more than chancers! Many aren't even Syrian, Iraqi or Libyan!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

If they can maintain several hundred million of their own people in poverty and backwardness, taking a few more from similar countries should have minimal impact on them...

Why is it that these people are making a beeline for Europe, and we are falling over ourselves to accommodate all comers, at least philosophically, for the moment?
    If they can't even feed their own people, I doubt they can take in more migrants tbh.

These people have made a beeline for surrounding countries as well as Europe. Are refugees suppose to go to the most rubbish place that exists or something?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Next to nothing, then.

Lebanon 1,196,560
    Jordan 628,427
    Iraq 247,861
    Egypt 133,862

A fine, rhetorical question there, Rod.
    Of course you know the answer to that one, but also know how to play the PC game. :wink:

P.S. Saw a cracking documentary about Kolkata (sp?) aka Calcutta last night. Very educational. Very interesting place. We could learn a lot from the City's inhabitants and they from us.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

RodCrosby said:

If they can't even feed their own people, I doubt they can take in more migrants tbh.

These people have made a beeline for surrounding countries as well as Europe. Are refugees suppose to go to the most rubbish place that exists or something?
    No, but to get to Europe from some of these places you go through some not bad countries. Especially true for the UK.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

RodCrosby said:

The 'most rubbish places' - i.e. most of the World aside from Europe - are still better than the boiling cauldrons they are supposedly escaping from, in fear of life and limb...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,610
    edited September 2015
    Disraeli said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Next to nothing, then.

Lebanon 1,196,560
    Jordan 628,427
    Iraq 247,861
    Egypt 133,862

A fine, rhetorical question there, Rod.
    Of course you know the answer to that one, but also know how to play the PC game. :wink:

P.S. Saw a cracking documentary about Kolkata (sp?) aka Calcutta last night. Very educational. Very interesting place. We could learn a lot from the City's inhabitants and they from us.
    I watched it too, but thought the sewage bit was a little OTT! Kolkata is the local Bengali name, BTW.

Think "London" v. "Londinium"
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

The 'most rubbish places' - i.e. most of the World aside from Europe - are still better than the boiling cauldrons they are supposedly escaping from, in fear of life and limb...
    I don't deny that, but I don't think it's unreasonable for them to seek aslyum in Europe.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

No, but to get to Europe from some of these places you go through some not bad countries. Especially true for the UK.
    I agree, but then how many Syrian refugees are banging down to door to get to the UK. It's more about the level of migrants hitting Europe, and were to place them that's leading the UK to come up into the conversation.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

I don't deny that, but I don't think it's unreasonable for them to seek aslyum in Europe.
    Then can seek it, as one can seek to win the Lottery, but common sense says almost all of them will, and should be, losers...
  • Options
    There are three basic approaches to immigration:
    1) Take no-one. This is particularly favoured by Xenophobes & Racists.
    2) Take everyone. Favoured by well-intentioned, nice people, but totally impractical.
    3) Take some people, but disagree about where we draw the line. This is almost everyone on PB.
    That's all we are discussing ultimately - where we draw the line.

The side issue is about some countries not pulling their weight.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

So clearly you feel they should all move to the best places that exist. Its going to be a bit of squeeze in the EU when most of Africa and substantial chunks of South East Asia get the message and come over here.

Sorry to burst your hand-wringing bubble, but some parts of the world are a bit crap, people have to live there, because there isn't enough space or money for them all to live in the nice bits. That is not to say they have to live in war zones, but they should be expected to live in any place equivalent to their home country which is peaceful. War zone not entitle you to an automatic upgrade to a first world lifestyle.

• Options
    Indigo said:

So clearly you feel they should all move to the best places that exist. Its going to be a bit of squeeze in the EU when most of Africa and substantial chunks of South East Asia get the message and come over here.

Sorry to burst your hand-wringing bubble, but some parts of the world are a bit crap, people have to live there, because there isn't enough space or money for them all to live in the nice bits. That is not to say they have to live in war zones, but they should be expected to live in any place equivalent to their home country which is peaceful. War zone not entitle you to an automatic upgrade to a first world lifestyle.

No, I just don't blame them for wanting the best opportunities life can bring.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Then can seek it, as one can seek to win the Lottery, but common sense says almost all of them will, and should be, losers...
    I don't see why common sense should say that.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Disraeli said:

2) Take everyone. Favoured by well-intentioned, nice people, but totally impractical.
    3) Take some people, but disagree about where we draw the line. This is almost everyone on PB.

Surely most on PB are (1 (not saying PBers are racists or anything like that.)
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Indigo said:

And it's not unreasonable for us to say that it isn't possible.

And you are clearly in 2) although that is what you expect students to think, since they are not paying for any of it.

Most of PB is in

4) pay twice as much as the rest of the EU put together and try and solve the problem near to the source.

Of course we could admit quarter of a million or so and guarantee UKIP 100 seats in the next election...
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

And you are clearly in 2) although that is what you expect students to think, since they are not paying for any of it.

Most of PB is in

4) pay twice as much as the rest of the EU put together and try and solve the problem near to the source.
    I don't see why it isn't possible. And I'm not in (2. I don't think Britain can take in everyone, just some. And I may not be paying for it now, but I will be paying taxes in the future.

I also don't know what you mean by ''pay twice as much as the rest of the EU put together''. And solving the problem nearer to the source - if you mean stabilising the Middle East, that's a long-term solution. But it doesn't provide a short-term one as to how we deal with current migrants.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Next to nothing, then.

Lebanon 1,196,560
    Jordan 628,427
    Iraq 247,861
    Egypt 133,862

It bugs me that this debate is not properly defined in terms of the numbers of economic migrants vs displaced persons vs true refugees. The numbers in the last group is actually quite small and manageable. The displaced persons are best housed close to home because there is not reason why they should not return home once the conflict is over, but we in the West should do far more to assist the Jordan's and Lebanon's and Turkey's to house, feed and keep healthy these displaced persons. There is very little we can do to stop economic migrants for wanting to make it to the UK other than by not being economically successful, or making employment of illegals harder.

Things do get confused somewhat though when economic interests take over. In a long conflict, it makes sense for displaced persons to seek out better temporary shelters than camps of despair and unemployment in the desert. And if you are to be a refugee, why wouldn't you seek asylum in the nicest place to live, even if the law says you should seek asylum in the first safe haven?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Indigo said:

Most of PB is in

I don't see why it isn't possible. And I'm not in (2. I don't think Britain can take in everyone, just some. And I may not be paying for it now, but I will be paying taxes in the future.

I also don't know what you mean by ''pay twice as much as the rest of the EU put together''. And solving the problem nearer to the source - if you mean stabilising the Middle East, that's a long-term solution. But it doesn't provide a short-term one as to how we deal with current migrants.
    The UK is currently giving twice as much in aid to this crisis as the rest of the EU put together. The problem with deciding what that some is, is three fold.

Firstly if we (as the UK or the EU) admit more people, it will increase the incentive to travel to the EU, which will increase the number of boats crossing the Mediterranean, which will increase the number of people getting killed crossing the med.

Secondly, how do we tell who are refugees and who are economic migrants in the same crowd, there are going to be thousands of chancers who have "lost" their identify documents trying to come to the UK under cover with the refugees, possibly numbers of terrorists and other undesirables as well. What will happen when the first refugee turns out to be an ISIS adherent and blows some people up ?

Finally, the public tolerance for people coming to this country in volume is at an all time low, any politician taking in a lot of people to the UK, especially in the light of the second point above is going to be in for a rough ride, and UKIP will make hay out of it very easily especially if there are any incidents.

Far better from the point of view of national security to provide plenty of money to build and guard safe areas, and start proper dwellings and proto-businesses in some place near to the trouble, less people will die as well. Of course the problem is that people having uprooted their family see the opportunity to improve their life immeasurably, and attain a European standard of living, perfectly reasonable aspiration and completely unfair to anyone else in the rest of the world making a lawful application to come to the EU.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

It bugs me that this debate is not properly defined in terms of the numbers of economic migrants vs displaced persons vs true refugees. The numbers in the last group is actually quite small and manageable.

Because the first group, and to some extent the second group have a very strong incentive to try an appear as members of the third group, and if they destroy their identity papers and claim to have "lost" them in the scramble to leave home, how can we tell otherwise.

I agree completely we should try and take in the small and manageable third group, but we are completely incapable of telling them apart from the vastly larger first two groups who have no right to our largesse.

• Options

Disraeli said:

Not racists, realists.

There are not hundreds of millions of people from Europe seeking a "better life" in Pakistan, India, Nigeria, Iraq, the Philippines, and in 150 other countries on this Earth.

Nor is the United States (so far) building fences along the 49th Parallel...

There is a fundamental reason for this.
  • Options
    For your amusement - some quotations about immigration

I am, you know, adamantly against illegal immigration.
    Hillary Clinton

Britain's an island; it's always had a constant ebb and flow of immigration - it makes it a better place.
    John Lydon

But then I came to the conclusion that no, while there may be an immigration problem, it isn't really a serious problem. The really serious problem is assimilation.
    Samuel P. Huntington

Illegal immigrants make a rational choice when they decide to violate our immigration laws. They weigh the costs, including the risks of getting caught, against the benefits of a better life.
    Jan C. Ting

Environmentalists have been outspoken in their support of smaller family size and abortion rights as keys to reducing global warming. But when it comes to immigration, the single biggest contributor to population growth in the industrial world, they stand largely silent.
    Gary Bauer
  • Options
    Indigo said:

MTimT said:

It bugs me that this debate is not properly defined in terms of the numbers of economic migrants vs displaced persons vs true refugees. The numbers in the last group is actually quite small and manageable.

Because the first group, and to some extent the second group have a very strong incentive to try an appear as members of the third group, and if they destroy their identity papers and claim to have "lost" them in the scramble to leave home, how can we tell otherwise.

I agree completely we should try and take in the small and manageable third group, but we are completely incapable of telling them apart from the vastly larger first two groups who have no right to our largesse.

It is actually reasonably easy to distinguish between refugees and other groups. The burden is on the refugee to prove persecution (not just generalized danger or hardship). If they do not have papers, to a certain extent, that is their problem, and puts the pressure on the asylum seeker to prove persecution by other means (still eminently possible). By too readily accepting lack of proof from asylum-seekers, we are merely encouraging the other groups to destroy their papers.

As I said, historically, countries had no problem determining refugee status - rather it is just that we have over the years, through our own procedures and appeals processes, made it so time and resource intensive that it has become unworkable. It need not be, or remain, that way.
  • Options
    Corbyn continuing to drift slightly on BF.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    If the Democratic Party wants Hillary Clinton as President, they need to infiltrate the Republican Party in vast numbers and select Donald Trump as the candidate.
  • Options
    At what point does one stop becoming a refugee? Surely it is at the time when you reach a place of safety from whatever form of persecution you are fleeing. As such, once Syrians reach, say, Turkey, their status surely changes into economic migrants - they are now seeking to leave one place of safety for a more economically preferable place of safety. Strictly speaking, it should be impossible for Britain to take in refugees, as the word assumes they are seeking refuge from France.

Unsurprisingly, we are seeing a knee-jerk reaction to some distressing images in the media today. As usual, people are emotionally unable to process numbers '70 dead in lorry' as much as visuals '1 dead on beach'. We then get the usual browbeating that everything is our fault and that we should "do something" (generally unspecified) about it. The major responsibility for this child's death, of course, lies with the parents; statistically you are far more likely to die crossing the water in an unseaworthy vessel than by remaining in Syria in the first place.
  • Options
    Joe Biden made a 'campaign-style' speech during his trip to Florida. Sounds like he is still seriously thinking about it.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/bidens-fla-address-sounds-like-stump-speech-213280
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sky News Poll - "Corbyn in front"

Report to follow
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Did you marry outside your race, Andy?
    I think it most likely that Andy married another member of the human race.

• Options
    Sky News "Poll" is a viewers survey.

Disregard.
  • Options
    Wake up you lazy PB b*stards ....

Five consecutive comments and I get to keep the thread .... :smile:
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited September 2015
    JackW said:

Over my dead body - The guest editor isn't threading fast enough :D
  • Options
    De-lurking to ensure this thread remains in the common domain.
  • Options

@AndyJS You're forgetting half of those mixed race couples involve ethnic minorities. Who according to you are apparently the 'real racists'....

Andy's point, not that I necessarily agree with it, was that many ethnic minorities are racist towards certain other ethnic groups, but not necessarily whites. It follows that most mixed race couples consist of one white person + one other ethnic minority.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Good morning! Is this thread still here?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Yeah, give me about 45 mins to finish writing the next thread.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220

Andy's point, not that I necessarily agree with it, was that many ethnic minorities are racist towards certain other ethnic groups, but not necessarily whites. It follows that most mixed race couples consist of one white person + one other ethnic minority.
    The 2011 Census data would prove/disprove this but I don't know if ONS have released the relevant data. A big thing was made about the number of mixed marriages but little detail was released such as the male/female split.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GeoffM said:

Yeah, give me about 45 mins to finish writing the next thread.
    Just type "Which version of PR should an independent Scotland use?" and click 'publish'.

Job jobbed!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Pauly said:

JackW said:

Over my dead body - The guest editor isn't threading fast enough :D

De-lurking to ensure this thread remains in the common domain.

Foiled by the common man ....

Curses .... :naughty:

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Disraeli said:

Agree up to a point, though some of the posts here appear to be pretty close to 1). GibTom (from Gibraltar?), for instance, thinks it's the refugees' fault for not weighing up statistics accurately and anyway a problem for the neighbouring countries.

In practical terms, I don't think we should get away with legalistically saying hey, refugees need to stay in the first country they reach and happily we're an island so it's not our problem. There is a general disaster going on and I want to see Britain playing a very substantial part in helping. Part of that should be taking in a decent number of refugees (10K/month extra for one year irrespective of other migration sounds a reasonably absorbable number) and part should be plenty of financial support. A link to the claim that we're paying more than everyone else put together, allowing for all the costs Germany is incurring, would be helpful.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    edited September 2015

Disraeli said:

Agree up to a point, though some of the posts here appear to be pretty close to 1). GibTom (from Gibraltar?), for instance, thinks it's the refugees' fault for not weighing up statistics accurately and anyway a problem for the neighbouring countries.

In practical terms, I don't think we should get away with legalistically saying hey, refugees need to stay in the first country they reach and happily we're an island so it's not our problem. There is a general disaster going on and I want to see Britain playing a very substantial part in helping. Part of that should be taking in a decent number of refugees (10K/month extra for one year irrespective of other migration sounds a reasonably absorbable number) and part should be plenty of financial support. A link to the claim that we're paying more than everyone else put together, allowing for all the costs Germany is incurring, would be helpful.

The Factsheet from DFID shownig £900m from the UK since 2012 is here:
    http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/UK aid.pdf

I don't know a single source for a comprehensive comparison. Fairly sure UK donations will be the largest in Europe; unsure if it is more than all the rest added up or if the German costs for refugees already here are included.

Get a friend to ask a PQ !

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    I book 1st on the next thread.

Consider my towel to be on the cool frood's deckchair.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196

JEO said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

JEO said:

I don't see why the UK would end if Scotland left. It was originally formed between a union of Great Britain and Ireland, yet it survived most of Ireland leaving. It can also survive a small chunk of Great Britain leaving. We can go on as the UK with a slight name change after the "of".

Given it is two kingdoms , hard for the one left to be united unless it is with itself.
    Manchester, Leeds and Dundee are all united. Perfectly possible to be a United Kingdom after Scotland leaves. Indeed Scotland would cease to have any say in the matter at all...
    Can you explain your logic. Given Scotland would be independent any idiot would know it would not be part of the rump. The point was how could it be UK when one of the two kingdoms had gone.
    That's not the case. The two kingdoms which formed the UK were the Kingdom of Ireland and the Kingdom of Great Britain. Part of one Kingdom left in the 1920s and we remained the UK. If part of the other Kingdom leaves then we will still remain the UK.
    Indeed. We could be want we want to be it would be no one else's business.
    Alternatively we could give Wales independence and tell NI to sort out its own problems, then we would just be England and probably much happier.

Mind, we would have to do something about those islands around the world that for whatever reason refuse to become independent. The Falklands would have to stay with the England and we ought to hang on to Gib. The Caribbean territories we could divide up - the Cayman's stay with England whilst Ireland, Scotland and wales can draw lots over the rest, though maybe Ireland ought to take the British Virgin Islands. I think there is a place or two in the pacific which still look to the UK (on one if memory serves they worship the Duke of Edinburgh as a god), if that is correct they should be given to Scotland. The islanders of St. Helena should be given a choice who to belong to. Any I have missed like Ascension, the Yanks can have, since they are probably there already.

All this faffing about with a federal structure, forget it. HMtQ will probably be a bit miffed, though.
    They will want to keep the tax havens so that the London laundry is kept busy.
  • Options

Dair Shove your sporran up your back end..you obviously drink the same home distilled hooch that the dimwit in Ayr drinks.

Cue Mr Nasty the senile cretin , dribbling into his refreshment. Get a new straw.
  • Options

Mr G called me a liar on the last thread. I know it's a term of endearment amongst some up there; I would prefer it if you were not amongst them.

Stop posting porkies then Reggie, voodoo polls of your half witted friends are not facts.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Dair said:

Disraeli said:

I think a lot more people will miss it when it is gone. And its break-up will have a major impact on perceptions of all parts of the former entity in other parts of the world. The PM who lost his country is going to spend a lot of time being pitied to his face and laughed at behind his back.

OK, Southam, instead of carping.
    If you were PM what would YOU do to prevent Scotland leaving the UK?
    There's no way that Westminster can settle the Scottish Question and remain electable by voters in England.

The only programme which would succeed would be : -

1. Fully Federal UK with individual Nations holding vetos on all joint policy decisions in a Senate which replaces the Lords.

2. An apology for the lies over oil since the 1970s and the pillaging of money to the South East.

3. A waiver to Scotland over any contribution for the current UK debt, an agreement that the Federal Budget should always be in balance and for each devolved Nation to issue its own debt through the BoE.

4. A subvention/reparation agreed to be paid to Scotland probably in the region of £5bn per annum currently, combined with a limit to Scotland's contribution to the Defense budget (about 1.2% of GDP would reasonably in line with neighbouring nations)

5. Scrapping Trident.

Anything less and it is certain the UK will be dissolved. Probably any one of those would make a Westminster party toxic with the English electorate who have lapped up the lies about Scotland for years.
    The English don't like to perform the Kow-Tow.
    Unless visiting Riadh.
    Washington for sure , never get off the belly there
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Most of PB is in

Of course we could admit quarter of a million or so and guarantee UKIP 100 seats in the next election...
    4) is spot on. Would add take our fair share of true asylum seekers, as we have always done. But sadly, those people are now close to impossible to filter out from a massive movement of economic migrants who are busting down the doors. If you can't control your borders, you can't control your state. Simple as that. Your housing, your health, your education capabilities all just got inadequate.

What Merkel has done has stoked the fires of a headlong rush to Europe from the south and the east. She has removed the incentive for the young and the fit to overthrow odious regimes. By opening the doors to those who can flee from their unhappy circumstances to the warm embrace of Germany, she has condemned those who can't leave to lives without much hope. This is a consequence the let 'em in brigade never address.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Most of PB is in

4) is spot on. Would add take our fair share of true asylum seekers, as we have always done. But sadly, those people are now close to impossible to filter out from a massive movement of economic migrants who are busting down the doors. If you can't control your borders, you can't control your state. Simple as that. Your housing, your health, your education capabilities all just got inadequate.

What Merkel has done has stoked the fires of a headlong rush to Europe from the south and the east. She has removed the incentive for the young and the fit to overthrow odious regimes. By opening the doors to those who can flee from their unhappy circumstances to the warm embrace of Germany, she has condemned those who can't leave to lives without much hope. This is a consequence the let 'em in brigade never address.
    Excellent post MM
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Most of PB is in

Brilliant post and exactly the point I was making to friends the other day. By syphoning off the most able, we reduce the chance of internal regime change.
  • Options
    Carla Fiorina benefited from low expectations in her tier 2 debate combined with a media desperate to promote her as she is the only female competing.It looked bad for the Republicans in the tier 1 debate to have 10 males 0 females involved.Now there will be far more focus on her .She was value at 66/1 a month ago.Carson is 28/1 and may still be getting underrated due to a lot of people probably still thinking the GOP would not elect an African American .I` m not sure about that.He has a populist touch and a lot of Republicans instinctively like conservative African Americans not least to counter the left wing African Americans on the other side and their white liberal lickspittles who endlessly try to paint the USA and its police as `racist`.Both Carson and Fiorina both need to find financial backing to compete though
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    Come Independence Scotland will become the Syria of the British Isles..England will have another swarm of refugees..Tartan ones
  • Options

Come Independence Scotland will become the Syria of the British Isles..England will have another swarm of refugees..Tartan ones

You really are an odious little creep.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

I wonder if there's a US political website discussing the madness of Corbyn probably becoming Labour leader.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

Sean_F said:

I was under the impression that the problems in Afghanistan had something to do with an unprovoked attack on the WTC.

Quite a lot of immigration from the places I mention, and with undesirable outcomes for host nations.

But mass immigration from these places? Are we taking in a third of Eitrea, or something. And well...we did invade Afghanistan....

We invaded Afghanistan as a defensive response to an attack on a fellow NATO member. The Afghan government was sheltering the sub-state organization that attacked her.
    So bombing Afghan was a solution which really worked out then....

Warzone, genocide.....the point I'm trying to get across is that many of these people are fleeing for their lives. And my point still stands that being on the long-list of a housing queue is nothing compared to living in a warzone. And apparently for many years we denied the Jews access to this country.
    And the point you keep on missing is that they are safe the moment they leave Syria. They don't need to get to Britain to be safe.

They may prefer Britain to Turkey or Lebanon or Hungary. But a preference does not make you a refugee. And it is up to Britain to decide whether or not it wants to invite any of these people in. British governments should, when making such decisions, think of British people first.
    I never said they needed to get to Britain to be safe - simply that the extent of the migrant crisis is as such obviously many countries will have to take in migrants (one can't do it on their own), and that we have an obligation to do something.

...? Which means we have an obligation to take them in. So much for discussing alternate solutions, you've just essentially said we have to do what merkel wants.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

Good morning, everyone.

I wonder if there's a US political website discussing the madness of Corbyn probably becoming Labour leader.

GOP leaning Race42016 had a thread about it last weekend so yes some are noticing, the British Bernie Sanders was a common response
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    It is so noticeable that all those on news programmers across the media who are wailing and criticising Cameron to do more, have not put forward one iota on how to solve the basic problem in both the short and longer term.

Perhaps they should be told to shut up before commenting more and try and use their brains - that is if they have any.
  • Options
    The SNP government will be begging Westminster to put up that razor wire fence and Border posts..To stop desperate Scots from escaping..and it wont be the old,the young or Freedom nutters..it will be the bright,well educated young folk..They will be swimming across the Solway Firth in their thousands...and will be made very welcome.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

Sean_F said:

I was under the impression that the problems in Afghanistan had something to do with an unprovoked attack on the WTC.

Quite a lot of immigration from the places I mention, and with undesirable outcomes for host nations.

But mass immigration from these places? Are we taking in a third of Eitrea, or something. And well...we did invade Afghanistan....

We invaded Afghanistan as a defensive response to an attack on a fellow NATO member. The Afghan government was sheltering the sub-state organization that attacked her.
    So bombing Afghan was a solution which really worked out then....

Warzone, genocide.....the point I'm trying to get across is that many of these people are fleeing for their lives. And my point still stands that being on the long-list of a housing queue is nothing compared to living in a warzone. And apparently for many years we denied the Jews access to this country.
    And the point you keep on missing is that they are safe the moment they leave Syria. They don't need to get to Britain to be safe.

They may prefer Britain to Turkey or Lebanon or Hungary. But a preference does not make you a refugee. And it is up to Britain to decide whether or not it wants to invite any of these people in. British governments should, when making such decisions, think of British people first.
    I never said they needed to get to Britain to be safe - simply that the extent of the migrant crisis is as such obviously many countries will have to take in migrants (one can't do it on their own), and that we have an obligation to do something.

...? Which means we have an obligation to take them in. So much for discussing alternate solutions, you've just essentially said we have to do what merkel wants.

That'd be nice, but I don't see how it involves a dialogue between nations discussing different ways to help, or how a leader is supposed to react when you've declared only one option is acceptable (many countries have to take more and we have a obligation to do something - you've made clear giving aid no longer founts as something - equals Cameron is not allowed to disagree with the plan, in effect if not intent)
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, didn't realise Sanders was that leftwing.

Mr. Financier, I do wonder what people generally think. Media coverage appears to be generally sympathetic (there's been a petition to change the term from migrant to refugee, which appears to have at least partially been effective).
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

The SNP government will be begging Westminster to put up that razor wire fence and Border posts..To stop desperate Scots from escaping..and it wont be the old,the young or Freedom nutters..it will be the bright,well educated young folk..They will be swimming across the Solway Firth in their thousands...and will be made very welcome.

I didn't know it was 'wnd-up malcG day' :)
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    Felix Why not..just killing time until folk get into their offices in London then I will be busy for a while..
  • Options
    F1: will Renault save Lotus? It's not clear. But the team does appear ready to race in Monza:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34134425

If a team can be on the podium one race and struggle, financially, to make the next, something is rotten in the state of F1.