Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LAB leadership election results WILL be broken down by

124»

Comments

• IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    JEO said:

What a dreadful shame Cameron is making our country so great people want to live here.

Maybe we could get some loonies in charge to destroy the country so we have net emigration and then everyone will be happy. Err ....

The problem is not that people want to live here. The problem is that so many that want to live here are let in. Your argument is like dismissing complaints about traffic jams by saying we should celebrate that the roads are so good everyone wants to drive on them.
    Yes, all those beggars that have arrived in London from various far flung places in the last five years have really improved the ambiance. The necessity of adding signs warning people of pickpockets for the first time ever was a particular high point.
  • JEO said:

What a dreadful shame Cameron is making our country so great people want to live here.

Maybe we could get some loonies in charge to destroy the country so we have net emigration and then everyone will be happy. Err ....

The problem is not that people want to live here. The problem is that so many that want to live here are let in. Your argument is like dismissing complaints about traffic jams by saying we should celebrate that the roads are so good everyone wants to drive on them.
    As far as migration from the EU is concerned they've been allowed to come in for years, decades for the older EU members. The fact that so many want to move here now is because we're doing well while they're struggling.

I'm not upset by the fact we're doing well while they're not. Are you?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

Mr. Price, could you explain? I've seen the cash out button but have never used it myself.

Don't.
  • watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Scott_P said:

@paulhutcheon: I understand Sir Stephen House was to be asked about his force's illegal spying on journalists' sources today......
    @policescotland

He's still in the job for another 3 months. Nothing to stop him turning up for questioning.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Pulpstar, any chance of a longer explanation? :p
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Indigo said:

I am sure you will convince the 50%+ of the population who want immigration brought down a lot of the merits of your argument.
    How happy would you be if Britons were banned from bringing in spouses from the Philipines as a way of reducing immigration?
    I think it would be wrong to have blanket bans, but I certainly think we could put limits on bringing people in via arranged marriages or mail-order brides. I am sympathetic to those who have fallen in love with someone abroad, but if you're just marrying strangers, I don't see why the crowded UK should accommodate that through the immigration system.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Indigo said:

JEO said:

Yes, all those beggars that have arrived in London from various far flung places in the last five years have really improved the ambiance. The necessity of adding signs warning people of pickpockets for the first time ever was a particular high point.
    Never had a problem with pickpockets in London before. Certainly not in Dicken's day.

JEO said:

As far as migration from the EU is concerned they've been allowed to come in for years, decades for the older EU members. The fact that so many want to move here now is because we're doing well while they're struggling.

The effect is more that they're struggling than we're doing well, and yes, I am upset at that. It's a human tragedy what is going on in southern Europe.
  • Indigo said:

JEO said:

Never had a problem with pickpockets in London before. Certainly not in Dicken's day.
    Looking for statistics to back up Indigo's wild claims. On the London Underground it seems that crime is at its lowest ever level and has fallen nine years in a row. But we have signs so the country must be going to hell in a handcart.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/central-line-is-most-vulnerable-to-pickpockets-with-phones-top-target-10384573.html
  • JEO said:

JEO said:

The effect is more that they're struggling than we're doing well, and yes, I am upset at that. It's a human tragedy what is going on in southern Europe.
    Absolutely its a tragedy but we can't solve it ourselves, we can only directly control our own success and failure. In challenging times we're doing well, I don't regret that.
    Things seem to be worsening in the Northern Ireland Executive:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34071985

Indigo said:

I am sure you will convince the 50%+ of the population who want immigration brought down a lot of the merits of your argument.
    How happy would you be if Britons were banned from bringing in spouses from the Philipines as a way of reducing immigration?
    It doesn't apply to me, but even if we take your hypothetical example, it won't work, or it's trivial to work around, see the ‘Surinder Singh’ case. But Mr FoxinsocksEU as usual your europhilia is blinding you to the bigger issue, its not about allowing in people or not allowing in people, its about controlling our borders, and allowing in people who are a benefit to the country. Its about not having people lawfully in the queue, following the lawful process overrun or overtaken by people sitting in Calais breaking the rules.
    edited August 2015

JEO said:

JEO said:

Absolutely its a tragedy but we can't solve it ourselves, we can only directly control our own success and failure. In challenging times we're doing well, I don't regret that.
    We can also attempt to address the fallout of that tragedy, such as controlling the scale of th exodus that comes here.

I agree with you that pickpockets in London do not seem to have gone up. The number of beggars has definitely gone up substantially, though, and the majority are clearly foreign.
    JEO said:

Indigo said:

I think it would be wrong to have blanket bans, but I certainly think we could put limits on bringing people in via arranged marriages or mail-order brides. I am sympathetic to those who have fallen in love with someone abroad, but if you're just marrying strangers, I don't see why the crowded UK should accommodate that through the immigration system.
    The supposed mail-order bride trade must be almost non-existent now, to get a spousal or fiance visa you need to show evidence of a ongoing relationship, which in most cases means copious photographs together in various places, correspondence, joint bills, that sort of thing. The last couple I help get their stuff organised for the embassy had two large briefcases of evidence they took to her visa interview. Obviously this isn't possible to the same extent on arranged marriages, and one wonders what controls, if any, are actually in place.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Plato said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11827599/One-in-four-Jeremy-Corbyn-supporters-believe-world-is-run-by-secretive-elite.html

YouGov analysis of Labour supporters also finds most Mr Corbyn's backers see America as the 'greatest single threat to world peace' in revealing research

Most of Jeremy Corbyn’s supporters believe America is the “greatest single threat to world peace” and one in four think a “secretive elite” controls the globe, according to pollster analysis.
    Of course it is - as we see here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11826862/Airlines-told-to-expect-French-911-as-Hollande-warns-of-more-Islamist-violence.html.

And that is also why immigration is such a toxic issue. It's the fear that we are importing Islamists with all the violence that will inevitably follow.

Indigo said:

JEO said:

Looking for statistics to back up Indigo's wild claims. On the London Underground it seems that crime is at its lowest ever level and has fallen nine years in a row. But we have signs so the country must be going to hell in a handcart.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/central-line-is-most-vulnerable-to-pickpockets-with-phones-top-target-10384573.html
    I think there are other parts of London than the tube...

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/anti-pickpocket-police-london-045
    But we do see trends – anecdotally, around 70 percent of arrested pickpockets are Romanians or Bulgarians, 10 percent young Algerian males, 5 percent Chileans, etc.
    Indigo said:

JEO said:

Indigo said:

The supposed mail-order bride trade must be almost non-existent now, to get a spousal or fiance visa you need to show evidence of a ongoing relationship, which in most cases means copious photographs together in various places, correspondence, joint bills, that sort of thing. The last couple I help get their stuff organised for the embassy had two large briefcases of evidence they took to her visa interview. Obviously this isn't possible to the same extent on arranged marriages, and one wonders what controls, if any, are actually in place.
    Its still migration though. With further family re-unification to follow most likely.

But just as "fair taxes" are paid by other people, a "fair immigration policy" only bans people that I do not know.
  • Plato said:
    Brilliant! Frankie on top form.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    edited August 2015
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

It doesn't apply to me, but even if we take your hypothetical example, it won't work, or it's trivial to work around, see the ‘Surinder Singh’ case. But Mr FoxinsocksEU as usual your europhilia is blinding you to the bigger issue, its not about allowing in people or not allowing in people, its about controlling our borders, and allowing in people who are a benefit to the country. Its about not having people lawfully in the queue, following the lawful process overrun or overtaken by people sitting in Calais breaking the rules.

Could someone please explain to me why leaving the EU would ameliorate the situation in Calais. As I understand it, all the people in The Jungle are non-EU citizens so FoM doesn’t apply to them.

From familial experience, it’s not that easy to bring in a spouse from Thailand. Don’t know about the Phillipines, Vietnam etc.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Just out of interest does anyone know where the number of net taxpayers can be found. I think such a resource does exist somewhere becaus. remember reading some numbers for Scotland a few years ago. However my Google-fu is weak and I can't find anything this morning.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Although I notice from the report that the Liberal candidate was one Mr S Hughes.

Just how many times has Simon Hughes run for that seat!

He's looking well for a man of his great age... :wink:
    I think he may even be older than @JackW!

Assuming he was 20 in 1909 that makes him 126... Old Jack can only be 112 or something (I think he was 109 when I started reading the site)
    He would have had to be 21, so 127:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-explained-what-are-their-backgrounds-gender-ages-and-race-10176898.html

(The minimum age was sometimes ignored until the nineteenth century - Fox was elected an MP at 19, for example.)

So he would definitely be the oldest active politician alive today, with the possible exception of some of the dinosaurs still roaming the Labour party 65 million years after their official decease.
    Remind me, what's he actually achieved in that time?
  • Indigo said:

Indigo said:

JEO said:

But we do see trends – anecdotally, around 70 percent of arrested pickpockets are Romanians or Bulgarians, 10 percent young Algerian males, 5 percent Chileans, etc.
    You may be right but is so have you got some real statistics rather than anecdotes?
  • DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

Indigo said:

JEO said:

Having a housing problem in London is nothing new either. That was also true in Dicken's day.

Tell you what, let's ignore both issues. :wink:

(Certainly easier to do in the rural East Midlands than where I live in London).

Indigo said:

JEO said:

Pickpocket signs have been up in certain areas for well over 5 years. It's hardly a new phenomenon.

From familial experience, it’s not that easy to bring in a spouse from Thailandf. Don’t know about the Phillipines, Vietnam etc.

I think its the same pain in the arse all around. The biggest obstacle for most people is the financial capacity requirement, which for bringing in a foreign spouse means you have to have earned a clear 18 grand or so in the last year, or have almost 70 grand in savings - not easy if you are spending a chunk of the year out of the country with your wife to be. But it also means that all these foreign spouses are entering arrangements in which they have support and are not a burden to the state, and so logically are the last people who should be excluded even on pure economic grounds, never mind the humanitarian grounds.

Ever tried reporting crime to the BiB here in London? You get a crime number and nothing more (well I did the last three times that I tried it). You realise that the whole exercise is pointless and give up. My friends feel the same. Lots of crime is unreported - at least in London.
    Disraeli said:

Indigo said:

JEO said:

Having a housing problem in London is nothing new either. That was also true in Dicken's day.

Tell you what, let's ignore both issues. :wink:
    May as well. It's not as if the two problems are related.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Just out of interest does anyone know where the number of net taxpayers can be found. I think such a resource does exist somewhere becaus. remember reading some numbers for Scotland a few years ago. However my Google-fu is weak and I can't find anything this morning.

Is it not available at https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/number-of-individual-income-taxpayers-by-marginal-rate-gender-and-age-by-country .
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Mr L; try https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/number-of-individual-income-taxpayers-by-marginal-rate-gender-and-age

It is, as one would expect also (ahem) broken down by age and sex
  • Indigo said:

How's about stopping economic migrants from the third world first before talking about spouses?
    Indigo said:

From familial experience, it’s not that easy to bring in a spouse from Thailandf. Don’t know about the Phillipines, Vietnam etc.

I think its the same pain in the arse all around. The biggest obstacle for most people is the financial capacity requirement, which for bringing in a foreign spouse means you have to have earned a clear 18 grand or so in the last year, or have almost 70 grand in savings - not easy if you are spending a chunk of the year out of the country with your wife to be. But it also means that all these foreign spouses are entering arrangements in which they have support and are not a burden to the state, and so logically are the last people who should be excluded even on pure economic grounds, never mind the humanitarian grounds.

If you go down the economic assessment route, there is a strong case for EU migration, and a strong one against non-EU.

EU migrants have some of the highest employment rates in the land.
    edited August 2015

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

JEO said:

You may be right but is so have you got some real statistics rather than anecdotes?

It was an anecdote from PC Darren Bond of the "Oxford Street, Regent Street, Bond Street Pickpocket team" (ORB), so it has some provenance.

But if you insist

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390444032404578006342891345784
    Thefts from people jumped 20% over the past two years in London, according to Metropolitan Police Service statistics, and police have specialized "Pickpocket Squad" officers on patrol.

Indigo said:

How's about stopping economic migrants from the third world first before talking about spouses?
    Sure. But all migrants count for the number reductions that Indigo so strongly desires (apart from his own family of course)
  • Indigo said:

Sure. But all migrants count for the number reductions that Indigo so strongly desires (apart from his own family of course)
    Reduction doesn't mean all migrants so not really sure what you mean.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Mr. Pulpstar, any chance of a longer explanation? :p

It attempts to place multiple bets for you so as to equalise your position across all outcomes. It won't care what odds it backs at or lays at to do this.

If you're in a liquid market and have a relatively small position, it's fine.

If you had £10k of Cooper green, it might end up giving some away at 1000/1 in its desperation to equalise your position. Safest not to use unless you're sure the offer is fair.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2015
    "Every photo of the candidates looks like the staff room of a failing comprehensive"

Never a truer word spoken in jest. :lol:

Spookily, Mr Corbyn is the spitting image of my old chemistry master, but better dressed.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,840
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

JEO said:

It was an anecdote from PC Darren Bond of the "Oxford Street, Regent Street, Bond Street Pickpocket team" (ORB), so it has some provenance.

But if you insist

Thefts from people jumped 20% over the past two years in London, according to Metropolitan Police Service statistics, and police have specialized "Pickpocket Squad" officers on patrol.
    Surely the rise in pickpocketing (and similar crimes) is directly related to the fact that we are all carrying around expensive electronic equipment on a daily basis. Small items that can be sold quickly.

Something that 30 years ago just didn't happen. Just as student rooms are absolutely worth robbing these days - all of those laptops and Mac Books.

What is now considered vital for modern life is very attractive to those seeking items to sell on rapidly.
  • Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

JEO said:

But if you insist

Interesting that you cut out the date of the article (Sept 2012) and the part of the quote that referenced the London Olympics from that paragraph.

Well of course it is. What do you expect?

If an EU migrant can't find work, there is only so long before they run out of money and have to either find work in the black economy or go home (unless they are a fan of wet summers and have chosen to retire here with their accumulated wealth)

Mr. Price, cheers.

Indigo said:

My family are British citizens so you can stop the personal attacks thank you very much. How about engaging with the issues? Your flailing around betrays your alarm that the current situation might cause an existential threat to your beloved EU.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Mssrs Eek, & Cole, Thanks for your suggestion but what I was after is the number of net taxpayers, that is to say those who pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits from the taxpayers. I can find sites that talk about percentages of population in terms of quintiles and the like but not actual numbers.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,840

"Every photo of the candidates looks like the staff room of a failing comprehensive"

Spookily, Mr Corbyn is the spitting image of my old chemistry master, but better dressed.

It is the only thing Frankie Boyle has ever said that made me laugh!
    edited August 2015

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

But if you insist

Interesting that you cut out the date of the article (Sept 2012) and the part of the quote that referenced the London Olympics from that paragraph.

Because naturally the Olympics lasted for two years. Desperate. You and Dr Fox are two of a kind, how about you show some of your own evidence rather than throwing around cheap points ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2882202/Police-warn-pickpockets-language-understand-Romanian-Sign-placed-Covent-Garden-Christmas-shopping-rush.html
    This year it was revealed that half of the pickpockets caught on the Tube were from Romania.
    Mark Field, Conservative MP for Cities of London and Westminster, said: ‘It is important to make it clear that this type of activity is not welcome on our shores. There are Romanian people here who can’t speak English and shouldn’t even be in this country if they are not seriously looking for work.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited August 2015
    Indigo said:

I am well aware of that. You and Mr Nabavi have the same problem in believing this referendum is going to be won or lost on facts, its going to be on employment scare stories vs immigration anger. Truth is perception.

You misrepresent me. I've always maintained, since I started posting here in 2008, that the referendum would be won by the In side on employment scare stories. Irrespective of the reality (and frankly who knows what the reality would be, it's hypothetical) the jobs argument is the crunch one. And it will be coming from all directions: employers, unions, most politicians, the BBC, our EU friends, even US politicians. It will trump immigration anger, especially since the Out haven't actually got a clue on what to do about immigration any more than Cameron has.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730

He looks like the lab assistant at my old school. And he wasn't a man to cross!
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

My family are British citizens so you can stop the personal attacks thank you very much. How about engaging with the issues? Your flailing around betrays your alarm that the current situation might cause an existential threat to your beloved EU.
    Just pointing out a certain irony of one of our expat PBers complaining of other people wanting to migrate.

• CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Indigo said:

If you go down the economic assessment route, there is a strong case for EU migration, and a strong one against non-EU.

It's not about banning all EU migrants (or non-EU), it's about trying to be selective.

Certainly the number of beggars in my part of London has dramatically increased, often with very visible disabilities. I would hazard a guess that they are primarily South Eastern European in origin. I doubt that they are making a significant economic contribution the UK. On the flip side - ignoring house prices - London has benefited from the influx of young French professionals into South Ken.

On EU converting free movement into a right to work (ie free movement providing you have a job offer) would make a big difference
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I think it's this episode - http://www.channel5.com/shows/benefits-britain-life-on-the-dole/episodes/episode-3-621 that deals with Romanian pickpockets

IIRC there is one group where pickpocketing is a very old tradition, the others get really irked about them and have a very low opinion of their behaviour. Claims made that an income £1k per day was average.

• david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,566

Indigo said:

Spouses from the third world might be legitimately considered economic migrants in their own right. After all, what is the reason for their coming here rather than the British spouse going there?
    edited August 2015

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Just pointing out a certain irony of one of our expat PBers complaining of other people wanting to migrate.

There is no hypocrisy here that I can see, I am an expat, a quota immigrant that got my residency inside the approved quota, I employ local people, and inject substantial money into the local economy. I living in a neighbourhood with mostly local people, my children go to local schools, we regularly attend local social events, I speak the local language and contribute time and money to local charitable causes. I would have no complaint with anyone entering the UK on similar terms, and nor should anyone else.
  • Indigo said:

Because naturally the Olympics lasted for two years. Desperate. You and Dr Fox are two of a kind, how about you show some of your own evidence rather than throwing around cheap points ?
    So glad you asked.

Burglary: In 2012 there were over 7k-8k per month. Year to date in 2015 that's 2k per month down with 5-6k. Down about 30%
    Robbery: In 2012 there were over 3k per month. Year to date in 2015 its been around 1800 per month. Down about 40%
    Theft: Reporting measurements have changed but around 15000-17000 total thefts per month in 2012. Around 14000 per month this year. Down about 20%

So yes certain types of crime spiked around the London Olympics but are down now.

Source: http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Subdivisions/GLA/2247/

Indigo said:

Spouses from the third world might be legitimately considered economic migrants in their own right. After all, what is the reason for their coming here rather than the British spouse going there?
    They might be except one of the conditions of their visa is they have to prove their spouse is financially capable of supporting them, and have to pre-pay a substantial sum for any possible NHS useage, so they are of no net cost to the country even if they are not economically active.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,566
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

They might be except one of the conditions of their visa is they have to prove their spouse is financially capable of supporting them, and have to pre-pay a substantial sum for any possible NHS usage, so they are of no net cost to the country even if they are not economically active.
    Whether someone is of net cost or benefit to the country is a far wider question than whether they're economically active.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730
    Plato said:
    Has anyone asked Yvette whether Labour will still be selling THAT immigration mug if she becomes leader?
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    NEW THREAD
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

Plato said:
    Has anyone asked Yvette whether Labour will still be selling THAT immigration mug if she becomes leader?
    Yvette: "yes, these immmigration figures are at a record high, and Cameron has failed because we're still not taking enough in."

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    OchEye said:

Pulpstar said:
    » show previous quotes
    Even mony, the SNP aren't getting 'wiped out' in Aberdeen...

The Party Machine says they are popular, others are not so sure. Who to believe?

So glad you couldn't find anything else to dispute in the post though. PS, what is "mony"? The new Scottish currency or a new lady member in the House of Lords, in which case I wouldn't mind layi.. Er! well!

I see you do not mention you are chicken and unable to back up your waffle
    Scott_P said:

dr_spyn said:

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 4m4 minutes ago
    Sir Stephen House, chief constable of Police Scotland, to stand down from his post, BBC Scotland learns http://bbc.in/1hgZgmH

And thus the Zoomer frothing this morning is revealed...
    LOL , he announced that months and months ago you halfwit

OchEye said:

So Gaelic is not even originally indigenous Scottish

Yet the SNP government persists in spending money on it/teaching it in areas where it has no roots.....
    1500 years is pretty indigenous and would just about predate the introduction of English/Scots. But there is a theory that Scots Gaelic developed independently in Dalriada which was a kingdom on both sides of the Irish dear, as there is little evidence of an invasion.
    John, Far too intelligent for the halfwits you are replying too.