Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Dramatic events in Australian politics

124»

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,076
    edited June 2013
    Problem with 7 day delay is that there now a lot of jobs which are short-term. It's a bit like the building trade was like a few years ago ..... and probably still is. When I knew something about it, living in a town with a lot of small scale developments, a developer looking to put say two houses on a site would call in a particular cafe and put the word out that he wanted a couple of ground labourers and foundation diggers. A week later he'd be back for bricklayers and hod carriers. A month later for a plastering team and so on. People would work, or not work as demand for particular trades and skills fluctuated.
    JSA or whatever it was then was part of overall income, with, theoretically at any rate, the whole "lump" taken into account when calculating overall income.

Now that's common across a much wider range of occupations.

Ringing round Daddy's connections, and a substantial cushion of severance pay may be Osborne's perception but it's a world away from "real life".
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    tim said:

@Carlotta

The SR announced 180 new free schools in 2015-16. Will you cut these?

Thats 1800 children and 1799 staff is it?

Difficult to say, tim.

The figures are secret.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,076
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

@Carlotta

Difficult to say, tim.

The figures are secret.

I didn't know the masons were running schools!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

AveryLP said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

There will be a new seven-day wait before people can claim benefits. "Those first few days should be spent looking for work, not looking to sign on," Osborne said.

Because it is not possible to do both.

Let's punish people for being put out of work.The nasty party in all its glory.

Seems fair enough - if you are in work you will probably be paid in arrears and should have a buffer.

If you have just had a birthday then well a week wont kill you.

If you have just arrived in the country - well then seems fair you should wait a week.

Also saves admin on those who are out of work for less than 7 days.

I'm sure the BBC will be able to dig up a special case who will experience untold misery due to this.
    It is also a blow against Labour mobility. It's a week less of benefits so it means you are less likely to have the capital required to pay for a deposit, etc, on moving to somewhere else to find work.
    Ferk me - I can see through the bottom of the barrel so hard is the scraping.

Benefits are not a human right - they are a generous gift from the taxpayers of the Uk.

A 7 day delay should put a little dent into the claimant count figures - which will annoy leftoids too.
    If Osborne improved the menus at soup kitchens, Southam Observer would still complain about dividing lines.

There is no satisfying him.

You do understand that JSA is a benefit that people who have been in work pay for via NI, don't you?

It's not a legally binding arrangement.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    new thread
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

There will be a new seven-day wait before people can claim benefits. "Those first few days should be spent looking for work, not looking to sign on," Osborne said.

Because it is not possible to do both.

Let's punish people for being put out of work.The nasty party in all its glory.

Seems fair enough - if you are in work you will probably be paid in arrears and should have a buffer.

If you have just had a birthday then well a week wont kill you.

If you have just arrived in the country - well then seems fair you should wait a week.

Also saves admin on those who are out of work for less than 7 days.

I'm sure the BBC will be able to dig up a special case who will experience untold misery due to this.
    It is also a blow against Labour mobility. It's a week less of benefits so it means you are less likely to have the capital required to pay for a deposit, etc, on moving to somewhere else to find work.
    Ferk me - I can see through the bottom of the barrel so hard is the scraping.

Benefits are not a human right - they are a generous gift from the taxpayers of the Uk.

A 7 day delay should put a little dent into the claimant count figures - which will annoy leftoids too.
    If Osborne improved the menus at soup kitchens, Southam Observer would still complain about dividing lines.

There is no satisfying him.

You do understand that JSA is a benefit that people who have been in work pay for via NI, don't you?

It's not a legally binding arrangement.

No it's not. But it is still something people pay for while in work.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

AveryLP said:

tim said:

@Carlotta

Difficult to say, tim.

The figures are secret.

I didn't know the masons were running schools!
    The masons are still in the café, OKC.

This discussion has been closed.