Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What the adulation of Jeremy Corbyn will mean for British p

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited August 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What the adulation of Jeremy Corbyn will mean for British politics

We’ve been here before. Last year, many Scots found themselves electrified by the campaign for the Yes vote in the independence referendum. The energy and enthusiasm crackled as many voters for the first time found that they were being asked to vote on something that really mattered to them.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good afternoon all. Guido talks of the Apocalypse, maybe, maybe not. However it seems to be a dark day for stocks all over the world.

Dow said to be opening down 700 points or so. Can the Corbyn disease be catching world wide? ;)
  • Options
    Fantastic thread, antifrank - a virtual re-write of The Communist Manifesto!

:)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited August 2015
    MikeK said:

Good afternoon all. Guido talks of the Apocalypse, maybe, maybe not. However it seems to be a dark day for stocks all over the world.

Dow said to be opening down 700 points or so. Can the Corbyn disease be catching world wide? ;)

Remarkable how often the markets go into meltdown in August when the grown-ups are on holiday....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Cheers Antifrank, - but I think a far left anti-austerity party is the least of Labour's problems.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    #blackmonday trending
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited August 2015
    Maybe AntiFrank could give a trailer of the whole piece as a thread header, with the full bifta on his blog? It would open up the debate and get him more traffic. This is too long for me to be bothered reading
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scottish Independence hammering world stock markets
  • Options
    Circuit breakers not reached on Dow only down 1000 pts
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    If there turns out to be a global recession, Corbyn could received a sympathetic hearing for a while.
  • Options
    For some reason the headlines are not reading "FTSE100 at same level as 8 months ago!!!!"
  • Options
    NYMEX Crude $38.25
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    That list of potential long term Labour leaders is very thin. Which is worrying, given that only a few members of a young bench will mature to their potential. I particularly don't get the clamour around Rachel Reeves. She comes across as very mediocre. The interview where she got confused about whether Labour could close just the current deficit or the total deficit was a case in point.
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    Alistair said:

For some reason the headlines are not reading "FTSE100 at same level as 8 months ago!!!!"

You mean ~30 months ago?
  • Options
    "He can point to support among professional economists"

Hmmm. I think many of these might be better described as professional politicians, with a tangential acquaintance with economics to support their personal political credo:

http://www.cityam.com/222906/corbyn-backed-anti-austerity-lobby
  • Options
    Financial markets are really crashing right now. It looks like George Osborne sold off Royal Bank of Scotland at just the right time.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    JEO said:

That list of potential long term Labour leaders is very thin. Which is worrying, given that only a few members of a young bench will mature to their potential. I particularly don't get the clamour around Rachel Reeves. She comes across as very mediocre. The interview where she got confused about whether Labour could close just the current deficit or the total deficit was a case in point.

There is virtually no Labour MP that is a credible candidate to be PM.

I reckon they will be goners as the oppo in a decade. UKIP will take some WWC, Conservatives take the Blairite, non muslim BAME and the rest of the working class, and probably a version of Respect to take the muslim vote
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    This is a very long piece. You need an editor.
    Corbyn is a spendthrift economically illiterate isolationist (at best) unilateralist who would happily see the United Kingdom broken up into anything as long as it was not a Kingdom that remained.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

MikeK said:

Remarkable how often the markets go into meltdown in August when the grown-ups are on holiday....
    Low volumes, human herding, it's always the way.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    JEO said:

Financial markets are really crashing right now. It looks like George Osborne sold off Royal Bank of Scotland at just the right time.

So Corbyn will now have to give money to those investors who lost out, since it was over-valued.

Er, right?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    ''Financial markets are really crashing right now. It looks like George Osborne sold off Royal Bank of Scotland at just the right time.''

The moves seem big but, in comparison to a few reall bear market moves in the past they are quite modest in percentage terms (so far).
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Corbyn could not follow Blair as President, but if he allows a proper Shadow Cabinet to develop, then it could strengthen him, and the Party, and allow his successor to emerge. Corbyn's replacement needs to come from shadow ministers who have made their own names, as Blair, Brown and Robin Cook had, to name but three. Announcing a free vote on the EU referendum would be good politics too.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

This is a very long piece. You need an editor.
    Corbyn is a spendthrift economically illiterate isolationist (at best) unilateralist who would happily see the United Kingdom broken up into anything as long as it was not a Kingdom that remained.

I thought Corbyn wants to ditch Northern Ireland, Gibraltar and the Falkland Isle, but keep Scotland in the Union – could be wrong, it’s hard to keep up with these daily announcements.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

Alistair said:

You mean ~30 months ago?
    Oops, I was looking at Friday's closing price not todays price.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Alistair said:

Oliver_PB said:

Alistair said:

You mean ~30 months ago?
    Oops, I was looking at Friday's closing price not todays price.
    Buy low, sell high...
  • Options
    Btw, is Labour's Shadow Cabinet still elected ?
  • Options
    The advantage of having all my investment money in trackers is I don't give two hoots about what the market is doing right now.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2015
    Alistair said:

The advantage of having all my investment money in trackers is I don't give two hoots about what the market is doing right now.

Err, you do realise that your trackers are tracking the market, right?
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    SeanT said:

Paradoxically, Black Monday reveals the new importance of China: the engine of global growth and trade

When China coughs, the West gets tested for tuberculosis

Given the massive state intervention in the markets over the past few weeks, this is more akin to China finding a suspicious lump....
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Alistair said:

Err, you do realise that your trackers are the same as the market, right?
    Yes, and currently they are plunging. But as I am not trading in individual companies or sectors I don't have to worry about under of over performance or being over exposed to commodity base companies or timing the market any of that nonsense - I don't need to do anything. I just maintain my 80/20 stock/bond split and in 20 years time I'll just remember this as the time where my monthly drip feed got me more shares-to-pound.
  • Options
    If we are heading for another repeat of 2007/08, the question is will Osborne be willing to spend and prop up the economy the way brown did and blow his deficit reduction plan? He'd have egg on his face but it'd be the right thing to do in order to hold back a depression.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

lo, yes, I'm not sure Alistair is the full guinea, when it comes to investments.

That said, I put a bunch of money into stocks and shares a few weeks ago, with an emphasis on Asia (I thought the bull market had another year in it, at least). Oops.

Thankfully most of my capital is in boring hard cash, and property. Thank the Lord for London property.
    I'm about to put some money into stocks so hopefully will get more for my money. Best to take a long-term view. The markets often go mad in August.

• Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Yes, and currently they are plunging. But as I am not trading in individual companies or sectors I don't have to worry about under of over performance or being over exposed to commodity base companies or any of that nonsense - I don't need to do anything. I just maintain my 80/20 stock/bond split and in 20 years time I'll just remember this as the time where my monthly drip feed got me more shares-to-pound.
    Ah, well, yes, it is indeed sensible to take a long-term view. Still, if (for example) you've invested a significant proportion in the FTSE100, you are quite heavily exposed to commodities.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Antifrank,

"I am unconvinced that the public is automatically hostile to the thrust of Jeremy Corbyn’s economic views."

Always some support for bashing bankers and those, to spare Mr Antifrank's blushes, who are the only people allowed to lie in court without being charged with perjury. Plus any assorted and undeserving rich people.

But his deeply held political convictions ... treachery, lunacy, and trot ideas will soon see him struggling.

Lucky for Labour that it won't happen.
  • Options
    I've pulled the trigger on a hundred GSK today ! 6+% divi, accounts look healthy enough, people living longer and needing more drugs etc...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    A difficult line for Labour - the public can swallow a lot of nonsense if they trust the people peddling it, so it is right that they probably can make economic arguments that right now are out of vogue and not immediately lose because of that, should the mood shift favourably. But I do think a Tory implosion is needed as part of the Labour rehabilitation - the shift Labour are looking for as part of their new 'big tent' is quite sizable, and it helps if the tent next door collapses to convince people to come over to your one still under construction.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Yes, and currently they are plunging. But as I am not trading in individual companies or sectors I don't have to worry about under of over performance or being over exposed to commodity base companies or any of that nonsense - I don't need to do anything. I just maintain my 80/20 stock/bond split and in 20 years time I'll just remember this as the time where my monthly drip feed got me more shares-to-pound.
    Ah, well, yes, it is indeed sensible to take a long-term view. Still, if (for example) you've invested a significant proportion in the FTSE100, you are quite heavily exposed to commodities.
    I'm using the Vanguard UK LifeStrategy 80 for my day-to-day investment (so it's over weighted towards the UK compared to a pure global tracker with 25% 'UK' assets) and a similar but more evenly globally weighted set of funds for my pension.

So I'm basically exposed to the whole world market in equal proportion to it's size.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Alistair said:

I'm using the Vanguard UK LifeStrategy 80 for my day-to-day investment (so it's over weighted towards the UK compared to a pure global tracker with 25% 'UK' assets) and a similar but more evenly globally weighted set of funds for my pension.

So I'm basically exposed to the whole world market in equal proportion to it's size.

Good choice. (Not that there are any safe havens today).
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    @Barnesian
    FPT, the results are in.

1) In all LibDem/Cons marginals I moved 50% of the Labour vote to the LibDems
    2) In all GB seats I took 30% of the UKIP vote and added it to Labour.
    3) Then I recalculated the results.
    4) Conservative gains from UKIP = 1 (Clacton)
    5) LibDem gains from Conservative = 5 (Kingston & Surbiton, Twickenham, Eastbourne, Lewes, Thornbury & Yate)
    6) Labour gains from Conservative = 16 (Bedford, Peterborough, Thurrock, Derby North, Lincoln, Croydon Central, Bolton West, Bury North, Weaver Vale, Brighton Kemptown, Plymouth Moor View, Plymouth Sutton & Devonport, Telford, Morley & Outwood, Gower, Vale of Clwyd)
    7) New seat totals and vote share:
    CON…310 (36.9)
    LAB…248 (33.6)
    LD ..13 (8.3)
    UKIP ..0 (8.9)
    SNP.. 56 (4.8)
    PC..3 (0.6)
    Green..1 (3.8)
    Others ..19 (3.1) including speaker

Anti-Cons parties (Lab, LD, SNP, PC, Green)
    248 + 13 + 56 + 3 + 1 = 321
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

No. One of Miliband's more sensible reforms. The selection of the Shadow Cabinet is now in the hands of the Leader
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Corbyn has to fill c100 Shad Cab and ministerial roles.

Are there 100 MPs who'd want to associate themselves with his NewTrot Labour? Be willing to go into print or on the TV to defend it?

Hmm. Career now or bin bag for the future?
    kle4 said:

A difficult line for Labour - the public can swallow a lot of nonsense if they trust the people peddling it, so it is right that they probably can make economic arguments that right now are out of vogue and not immediately lose because of that, should the mood shift favourably. But I do think a Tory implosion is needed as part of the Labour rehabilitation - the shift Labour are looking for as part of their new 'big tent' is quite sizable, and it helps if the tent next door collapses to convince people to come over to your one still under construction.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    edited August 2015
    If it is, as looks increasingly likely, Corbyn, the Tories have some posters from the 80s:

http://nottspolitics.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/oulis2006-bzm-0496-0-300x160.jpg
  • Options

No. One of Miliband's more sensible reforms. The selection of the Shadow Cabinet is now in the hands of the Leader
    Ironically, that might weaken Corbyn by encouraging dissent from those not chosen.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Are there 100 MPs who'd want to associate themselves with his NewTrot Labour? Be willing to go into print or on the TV to defend it?

kle4 said:

Why NewTrot?

Trotskyism is a tool of the Capitalists!
  • Options
    FPT:

Bugger, bugger, bugger, looks like we're not getting another Indyref until after 2020

A second independence referendum should not be held before 2020, warn senior SNP sources, because there is still too much uncertainty that the public would support Scotland leaving the United Kingdom

http://bit.ly/1NP2RmI

They're probably waiting until all the oil runs out and iScotland picks up a bill of £30bn to clean up their bit of the North Sea.

Say what you like but the Nats are some of the most generous people about.

Or innumerate.
    Nah, it's the Loyalist campaign of violence and intimidation that has caused this.
    Well ladies in their seventies can be quite menacing.
    Imagine if they ever got onto the internet?

Then it would be 'game over' for the Nats and petitions to change the name to 'North Britain'......
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    POPMWAS.

Paul Mason ‏@paulmasonnews 15m15 minutes ago
    Markets slump as world realises main growth engine in hands of incompetent, secretive police state that thinks it can dictate equity prices

Has he been posting under a pseudonym as Tapestry or something similar?
  • Options
    Plato said:

kle4 said:

Even if he has to give big name posts to the old and silly and the young and callow, I should think there are enough middle of the road MPs without big ambitions but willing to step in to fill the junior postings for the sake of the party if the more actually ambitious types want to sit outside in a Farron like way, waiting for their chance.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Good choice.
    I considered DIYing a more fine tuned portfolio ( I would have preferred a 90/10 share/bond split, and a slightly higher Emerging Market exposure than the LifeStrategy gives) but the absolute screaming ease and never having to think about it or manually rebalance won me over.

Of course the VLS series in the UK have never had to deal with a down turn as they've only been around for a few years and it's easy to look good in a bull market - so we shall see how their daily rebalancing works in the teeth of a bear market
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
    Brent Crude has lost more than 6% of its value in the last 12 hours. Amazing.

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,240
    Afternoon all,

Just catching up. D McBride seems to have gone all survivalist this afternoon over the stock market crash. Should I be following his advice and buying water?
  • Options
    The dow has gone from more than 1,000 down to 350 down.

Just sayin...'
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    kle4 said:

Plato said:

kle4 said:

Even if he has to give big name posts to the old and silly and the young and callow, I should think there are enough middle of the road MPs without big ambitions but willing to step in to fill the junior postings for the sake of the party if the more actually ambitious types want to sit outside in a Farron like way, waiting for their chance.
    Burnham is crucial here. If he does as he says he will, and takes a Shadow Cabinet brief (assuming one's offered, though I can't imagine it wouldn't be), then that gives the green light to the rest of Labour's soft left to follow suit. It also gives the green light to others who might want to play the 'party loyalist' card in any future, but pre-2020, leadership election.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Disraeli said:

@Barnesian
    FPT, the results are in.

5) LibDem gains from Conservative = 5 (Kingston & Surbiton, Twickenham, Eastbourne, Lewes, Thornbury & Yate)
    6) Labour gains from Conservative = 16 (Bedford, Peterborough, Thurrock, Derby North, Lincoln, Croydon Central, Bolton West, Bury North, Weaver Vale, Brighton Kemptown, Plymouth Moor View, Plymouth Sutton & Devonport, Telford, Morley & Outwood, Gower, Vale of Clwyd)
    CON…310 (36.9)
    LAB…248 (33.6)
    LD ..13 (8.3)
    UKIP ..0 (8.9)
    SNP.. 56 (4.8)
    PC..3 (0.6)
    Green..1 (3.8)

I'll bet money that scenario doesn't happen.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

The markets will rue the day! It's oor oil!
    Nobody is talking about oil......well, not at $43/barrel they're not.....
  • Options

kle4 said:

Plato said:

kle4 said:

Burnham is crucial here. If he does as he says he will, and takes a Shadow Cabinet brief (assuming one's offered, though I can't imagine it wouldn't be), then that gives the green light to the rest of Labour's soft left to follow suit. It also gives the green light to others who might want to play the 'party loyalist' card in any future, but pre-2020, leadership election.
    The day Burnham is crucial to anything is the day hell freezes over.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Some of Corbyn's economic policies will be superficially popular with the public in the same way that Michael Foot's economic policies were superficially popular with the public. Foot was ahead in the polls for nearly 12 months after being elected leader, between November 1980 and October 1981.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Its not the price if you are a one horse economy. Its the volatility.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

lo, yes, I'm not sure Alistair is the full guinea, when it comes to investments.

That said, I put a bunch of money into stocks and shares a few weeks ago, with an emphasis on Asia (I thought the bull market had another year in it, at least). Oops.

Thankfully most of my capital is in boring hard cash, and property. Thank the Lord for London property.
    How many London properties do you own? (Tell me to **** off if you don't like the question).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

kle4 said:

Plato said:

kle4 said:

Beyond bizarre. So they all form a shadow cabinet but are sitting there machinating about how to get rid of their leader.

Where is Chris Mullin when we need him?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    AndyJS said:

Disraeli said:

@Barnesian
    FPT, the results are in.

CON…310 (36.9)
    LAB…248 (33.6)
    LD ..13 (8.3)
    UKIP ..0 (8.9)
    SNP.. 56 (4.8)
    PC..3 (0.6)
    Green..1 (3.8)

It does seem an extreme case vis-a-vis a sensitivity analysis, which means that Labour's plight is all the worse. They have to take Tory votes, or find new voters.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ''Some of Corbyn's economic policies will be superficially popular.....''

Indeed. Plenty of approval for a 'maximum wage' in the Daily Mail today...

Boardroom greed really is hated.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

POPMWAS.

Markets slump as world realises main growth engine in hands of incompetent, secretive police state that thinks it can dictate equity prices

Its not the main growth engine - its been an alternative one for a while. Various people seem to have forgotten the USA.
  • Options

It's a high-risk strategy for anyone ambitious, though. They might prefer to stay loyal, whilst not getting too tarnished, by quietly sitting on the backbenches and avoiding either endorsing or openly rubbishing Corbyn's approach.
  • Options
    While I want oil to stay low to reduce the economic power of some of the nastier governing regimes around the world, I start to worry at these sorts of levels. Saudi Arabia will blow through its reserves in about 10 years at these sorts of prices. What the hell does the world do if the House of Saud collapses and ISIS or equivalents take over?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    This might explain today's crash: (£)

"The Chinese model is nearing its end
    The country is now going through a crisis of transition, unparalleled since Deng Xiaoping"

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/388bf2ca-475a-11e5-af2f-4d6e0e5eda22.html
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    taffys said:

It's Corbyn's non-economic policies that are the big drawback for him.
  • Options
    taffys said:

The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that Jezza, for lack of a better word, is good. Jezza is right, Jezza works. Jezza clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the
    (R)evolutionary spirit. Jezza, in all of his forms; Jezza for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Jezza, you mark my words, will not only save the Labour Party, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the UK. Thank you very much.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    I'm sure this was discussed on previous pages here but...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34042587

"IDS blames own staff for fake stories" (Was the BBC quick link title, not the long title.)

Pfffffffft.

As if anyone thought he handwrote them himself. FFS. Oh, except
    Stephen Timms, Labour's acting shadow work and pensions secretary, said: "You couldn't make it up - but it seems Iain Duncan Smith can. The only way he can find backers for his sanctions regime is by inventing them."
    The stories were utterly stupid - nobody would say how happy they were to be sanctioned... but the idea it's the Head Man's fault, as if he personally oversaw the episode, is an exercise in social-media-storm-meets-silly-season. And the concept of using illustrative examples, rather than real-life ones, is not exactly a breakthrough in PR.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    AndyJS said:

Disraeli said:

@Barnesian
    FPT, the results are in.

CON…310 (36.9)
    LAB…248 (33.6)
    LD ..13 (8.3)
    UKIP ..0 (8.9)
    SNP.. 56 (4.8)
    PC..3 (0.6)
    Green..1 (3.8)

I've no idea whether it will, or it won't. I just crunched the numbers to see what would happen if Barnesian's proposition was played out using the 2015 results.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Afternoon all :)

At this stage, we have no real idea what the policies of a Corbyn-led Labour party would look like. We assume they would be his but he has himself argued for a more inclusive approach to policy-setting so it's entirely possible some of the more radical Corbynisms will be replaced by something more moderate - we'll see. Remember this is 2015, not 2018 and there's no need for detailed policy at this time.

As confidently predicted, the markets are coming off the bottom as the computer-induced selling is seen as overdone and the buyers and bargain-hunters step in. Short of anything too dramatic happening, I reckon the DJIA will be close to even today and both it and the FTSE will rebound sharply tomorrow.

IDS's speech on getting the disabled back into work sounds thoughtful and carries the strong imprint of the Coalition and Steve Webb, whose advice will, I hope, be available to Tim Farron going forward. A really credible contribution on the advantages of getting the disabled into work and the challenges of that approach especially to SMEs.

It's good to see at least one Conservative not desperate to ditch everything the Coalition achieved.
  • Options
    Crude in London slid below $45 a barrel for the first time since March 2009

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-23/oil-extends-drop-after-falling-below-40-as-iran-to-boost-output
  • Options

"IDS blames own staff for fake stories" (Was the BBC quick link title, not the long title.)

Pfffffffft.

Stephen Timms, Labour's acting shadow work and pensions secretary, said: "You couldn't make it up - but it seems Iain Duncan Smith can. The only way he can find backers for his sanctions regime is by inventing them."
    The stories were utterly stupid - nobody would say how happy they were to be sanctioned... but the idea it's the Head Man's fault, as if he personally oversaw the episode, is an exercise in social-media-storm-meets-silly-season. And the concept of using illustrative examples, rather than real-life ones, is not exactly a breakthrough in PR.

I linked to the story, no Tories criticised IDS or the DWP, several defended it.

Of course, had it been Ed Miliband responsible there would have been a million twitter pastes of criticism, spoofs, and high minded disapproval. One of the clearest cases of partisanship on here I have seen
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

I keep forgetting to transfer money into my stocks and shares ISA so avoided doubling my holding in asia pacific investments.

I dumped my UK and developed world holdings a long while ago when the FTSE was around 6200 and have sat mainly in cash since then. A lucky escape. Tempted to pull the trigger and dive back in although I think the worst is yet to come.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

POPMWAS.

Its not the main growth engine - its been an alternative one for a while. Various people seem to have forgotten the USA.
    The US has been consistently growing at about 2% a year since 2010, while the rest of the world coughs and splutters, despite already being the largest economy in the world. That's why we need a trading deal with them, either through the EU or without it.
  • Options

errr...

Who have been Labour Leaders of the Opposition but never have been in a real government or a shadow government? Did Corbyn ever stand for the shadow cabinet? Kinnock never made it to a real govt but he was a shadow minister before election as leader. Shadow Minister of Education seems to be a good steppingstone....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BTW I disagree with Nabavi here. I don't think we will soon return to $100 a barrel, or if we do, it won't be for long. Once the price goes over $60 a barrel US shale becomes seriously profitable again. Thus forcing the cost of a barrel of crude back down.

Nabavi didn't say it would get back to $100, he said it would fall a bit more in the short term and then begin to rise again. I think a range of $40 to $60 is a reasonable working guess for the next couple of years, for the reasons you give.
  • Options

Pfffffffft.

It's really not an issue at all, if the damn things had been clearly marked as illustrative (as apparently they were not). Even though they were not, it's not really shocking, as you say.

That said, I think Isam is correct that had Ed M's team done it, there would have been more outrage
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    MTimT said:

AndyJS said:

Disraeli said:

@Barnesian
    FPT, the results are in.

CON…310 (36.9)
    LAB…248 (33.6)
    LD ..13 (8.3)
    UKIP ..0 (8.9)
    SNP.. 56 (4.8)
    PC..3 (0.6)
    Green..1 (3.8)

It does seem an extreme case vis-a-vis a sensitivity analysis, which means that Labour's plight is all the worse. They have to take Tory votes, or find new voters.
    Labour tried importing voters 1997-2010. Unfortunately a) they clustered in all their safe seats and b) for every voter they imported, they lost 2 in marginals who were pissed off at not being asked about the open borders being opened...
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    tim on fab-form today :).

Today's crash fault of bankers AND communists.First person to blame it on Chinese Jews gets the Corbyn Parliamentary invite.

• Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Christ antifrank this is your longest yet

Can you summarise it for busy people?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Alistair said:

I think he must be a Corbyn economist
  • Options

SeanT said:

BTW I disagree with Nabavi here. I don't think we will soon return to $100 a barrel, or if we do, it won't be for long. Once the price goes over $60 a barrel US shale becomes seriously profitable again. Thus forcing the cost of a barrel of crude back down.

Nabavi didn't say it would get back to $100, he said it would fall a bit more in the short term and then begin to rise again. I think a range of $40 to $60 is a reasonable working guess for the next couple of years, for the reasons you give.
    I don't think it ever makes sense to predict short term oil prices. Market traders don't have much information about the economics about different projects going online and offline until years after the event, so the oil price follows a lot of market herding. But long-term, I think a $60 or $70 oil price is likely.

Still enough to bankrupt most oil regimes around the world. The Middle East might last ten or 15 years longer due to reserves, but not beyond that. The stupidity of these people is quite spectacular, given this is exactly what happened in the 1970s, but they barely learnt from that at all.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Oh, you fools. Oil is so passe´ these days. I'm going for Kryptonite.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

If we are heading for another repeat of 2007/08, the question is will Osborne be willing to spend and prop up the economy the way brown did and blow his deficit reduction plan? He'd have egg on his face but it'd be the right thing to do in order to hold back a depression.

We are still spending and propping up the economy from last time (well, more a case of managing the collapse in control of the public finances). If we have a second 2007/8 we will be carrying a heck of a lot more debt and already floundering.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

SeanT said:

Oh, you fools. Oil is so passe´ these days. I'm going for Kryptonite.
    Don't you mean Corbynite?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

It's a high-risk strategy for anyone ambitious, though. They might prefer to stay loyal, whilst not getting too tarnished, by quietly sitting on the backbenches and avoiding either endorsing or openly rubbishing Corbyn's approach.
    Yes, in that respect Mr Corbyn is an example to follow, partially at least. Very principled to take the line "This is what the Labour party have democratically agreed on, but there are elements that conflict with my own personal principles, so I'm sitting this one out: not necessarily rebelling, just taking things on a case-by-case basis."

I think there's a slightly different obstacle in the way of a bigger-tent Labour party, however, which is that Mr Corbyn's followers themselves don't seem to want one. They would apparently eject anyone who doesn't fully share Mr Corbyn's vision.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,023
    SeanT said:

JEO said:

While I want oil to stay low to reduce the economic power of some of the nastier governing regimes around the world, I start to worry at these sorts of levels. Saudi Arabia will blow through its reserves in about 10 years at these sorts of prices. What the hell does the world do if the House of Saud collapses and ISIS or equivalents take over?

ISIS also rely on oil money for most of their income

In many ways a prolonged slump in the price of oil is a JOLLY GOOD THING. But there will be severe short term instability which needs to be managed.

We may be entering a lengthy era of relatively cheap energy. Something to cheer amidst the gloom.
    Now, if only low energy prices could last until someone works out the next big thing (tm) in energy production.

The massive intra- and multi-national fusion projects (NIF, ITER etc) are going to be good for research, but I'm not convinced that they're going to provide the answer to our energy problems. Instead, it is much more likely to be something like Lockheed Martin's development - smaller. cheaper and more useful.

Imagine that: forty dollar oil for ten years, then massively cheap electricity.

Well, I can dream, can't I?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    SeanT said:

Fascinating. Probably mentioned before but worth mentioning again. Polly Toynbee thinks Corbyn has definitely won - though she wants him to promise to stand down, anyway, a couple of years later.

See here.

http://members5.boardhost.com/medialens/msg/1440412618.html

Toynbee can be an idiot but she is supremely well connected in Labour circles. If she believes, as *apparently* is the case, that Corbyn has won this easily, then I am persuaded. He's won.

Crikey.

No, its hot air. There is no real way to properly sample the different groups of people who are taking part in this election. The Electoral Reform Society will be keeping tight lipped. The only thing leaking will be the numbers of returned ballot papers.

Nobody really knows.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    SeanT said:

Fascinating. Probably mentioned before but worth mentioning again. Polly Toynbee thinks Corbyn has definitely won - though she wants him to promise to stand down, anyway, a couple of years later.

See here.

Toynbee can be an idiot but she is supremely well connected in Labour circles. If she believes, as *apparently* is the case, that Corbyn has won this easily, then I am persuaded. He's won.

Crikey.

She's right of course that Corbyn must stand down after having his two or three years of fun if the Labour Party isn't to get massacred at the next election. Maybe Chuka and Tristram made the right decision not to contest this election since there's going to be another one in 2017/8.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    On Topic. Labour are following an almost identical path to the Tories 97-10

Corbyn is little different to IDS. Sure the election was less noisy, but it's all the same thing really.

After a couple of years of fun the IDS outriders were farmed off to ConHome or UKIP. IDS made way to a safe pair of unifying hands.

• Options
    Top winners and losers on the FTSE 100 today:

http://tinyurl.com/pknphfk
  • Options
    I have just read the thread. Why has Antifrank developed writers diarrhea? That bloody Corbyn is infecting everybody.
  • Options
    The big overseas owners of premium London property - Chinese, Russian and Arab - are currently seeing their fortunes diminish in various ways. Will they now start selling their holdings? Presumably, as investments they are there to be cashed in at some time. If that time is now it could get a bit tasty across the SE and beyond as the shockwaves spread. Alternativly, now may be the time for them to close out their share portfolios and buy more bricks and mortar.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Jonathan said:

On Topic. Labour are following an almost identical path to the Tories 97-10

Corbyn is little different to IDS. Sure the election was less noisy, but it's all the same thing really.

After a couple of years of fun the IDS outriders were farmed off to ConHome or UKIP. IDS made way to a safe pair of unifying hands.

Round Objects
  • Options
    isam said:

Pfffffffft.

I linked to the story, no Tories criticised IDS or the DWP, several defended it.

Of course, had it been Ed Miliband responsible there would have been a million twitter pastes of criticism, spoofs, and high minded disapproval. One of the clearest cases of partisanship on here I have seen

Of course, before making up quotes IDS used to make up stats.

• Options
    Duncan Weldon:

Still, with many in the markets always on the look out for "the next 2008", it's worth noting that this probably isn't it (and if it is, do feel free to tweet this blog post at me continually for the rest of my career).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34040418
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

I've pulled the trigger on a hundred GSK today ! 6+% divi, accounts look healthy enough, people living longer and needing more drugs etc...

My daughter is considering the same trade. Question is how sustainable the dividend is post 2017. I view the firm as an interesting play on vaccines and cosumer products rather than a pharmaceutical company though.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Top winners and losers on the FTSE 100 today:

http://tinyurl.com/pknphfk

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=AUD&view=1D

Aussie Dollar LOL
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

See here.

Crikey.

She's right of course that Corbyn must stand down after having his two or three years of fun if the Labour Party isn't to get massacred at the next election. Maybe Chuka and Tristram made the right decision not to contest this election since there's going to be another one in 2017/8.
    Unlike Corbyn, Tristram couldn't get anybody to lend him their vote.

Chuka left the field of battle 15th May, long before it looked like Corbyn could get on the ballot, let alone win.

So neither of them made a conscious decision to let Corbyn have a go so they could ride to the rescue in 2018...
  • Options

The big overseas owners of premium London property - Chinese, Russian and Arab - are currently seeing their fortunes diminish in various ways. Will they now start selling their holdings? Presumably, as investments they are there to be cashed in at some time. If that time is now it could get a bit tasty across the SE and beyond as the shockwaves spread. Alternativly, now may be the time for them to close out their share portfolios and buy more bricks and mortar.

Curiously gold, the primary safe haven asset, hasn't risen despite these market falls. Given London property is a similar safe haven asset (albeit less liquid), I imagine it won't have too much effect.