Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the 40 year since the Tories selected a woman LAB has ha

Comments

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Chelsea seem to have hijacked Man U's deal for Pedro - still 4/1 e/w for the league with Coral (yes, I know I tipped 7/2 the other day ;-) )
  • Options
    Plato said:

To get round DT subs, if you use FFox - go to Tools, Options, Privacy - delete individual cookies - type Telegraph into the field and press Delete All.

Eh voila!

ydoethur said:

Plato said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Hattie was actually right about forcing Labour to have either a female leader or deputy.

Up until this point, I thought it was part of her Hatemen feminism that's been her main agenda for 30yrs.

Now, perhaps she had a point - compelling Labour to have ovaries as a default seems to be the only way it's going to happen. I suspect she knows the Party better than the rest of us on this one.

Possibly. However, since it was her decision to resign the deputy leadership before the outcome of the leadership election was known, if they end up with two men she will only have herself to blame. I suspect, with her usual mix of arrogance and ineptitude, she thought Cooper would walk the first one and therefore it didn't matter who the deputy leader was.
    Firefox lets you block cookies on a per site basis under privacy - choose "Custom" for history - then "exceptions" by accept cookies & add telegraph.co.uk as "block" to the dialog that pops up.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

SLab leading the way in unity & reconciliation.

Tom Harris ‏@MrTCHarris 2 hrs2 hours ago
    I could just barf... RT @Neil_FindlayMSP: @MrTCHarris I'd recommend the Daily Record today!

Neil Findlay ‏@Neil_FindlayMSP 40 mins40 minutes ago
    @MrTCHarris oh Thomas now, now don't throw your toys out the pram because your sense of entitlement is slipping away ......there, there.....

Tom Harris ‏@MrTCHarris 23 mins23 minutes ago
    @Neil_FindlayMSP ah, I see - my "sense of entitlement"? Good to know that Trots' penchant for personal abuse is alive and well.

If the high profile candidates for next years list have started already, I can't imagine just how bad it's going to get. I recall my Rats in a Sack prediction before the election but I think I was being quite kind to them.

I'm now predicting a Somali Warlord scenario.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I've never used that feature. Thanx for the tip.

Plato said:

To get round DT subs, if you use FFox - go to Tools, Options, Privacy - delete individual cookies - type Telegraph into the field and press Delete All.

Eh voila!

ydoethur said:

Plato said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Hattie was actually right about forcing Labour to have either a female leader or deputy.

Up until this point, I thought it was part of her Hatemen feminism that's been her main agenda for 30yrs.

Now, perhaps she had a point - compelling Labour to have ovaries as a default seems to be the only way it's going to happen. I suspect she knows the Party better than the rest of us on this one.

Possibly. However, since it was her decision to resign the deputy leadership before the outcome of the leadership election was known, if they end up with two men she will only have herself to blame. I suspect, with her usual mix of arrogance and ineptitude, she thought Cooper would walk the first one and therefore it didn't matter who the deputy leader was.
    Firefox lets you block cookies on a per site basis under privacy - choose "Custom" for history - then "exceptions" by accept cookies & add telegraph.co.uk as "block" to the dialog that pops up.

• Options
    Plato said:

I can't understand anyone fancying Caroline Flint. She's got such a hard face, and that gap between her teeth. When combined with her paleness/dark hair - she looks like she wants to bite my neck.
    Ms Eagle's total lack of looks and a voice that could clean a blocked sink seems preferable to be eaten by a poor man's vampire.

Plato said:

I felt that Angela Eagle is just the sort of looker we need representing wimmin in the Party.

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

"Okay, I've voted.

Leader JC > LK > YC > AB
    Deputy AE > TW > CF > BB > SC "

If I were a current Labour voter and twitter user, I would call you "an evil bitch" (just to stay in character, you understand) and still complain about sexist comments by others.

Meeoww
    You may say that I could not possibly comment.
    Ms Eagle http://viz.co.uk/category/millie-tant/
    NSF PC
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Immigration is putting our national identity at risk

Agree/Disagree

Con: 83/17
    Lab: 58/42
    UKIP: 94/6
    LD: 54/46
    SNP: 60/40
    Green: 37/63

Also interesting:

London: 55/45
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

SLab leading the way in unity & reconciliation.

Tom Harris ‏@MrTCHarris 2 hrs2 hours ago
    I could just barf... RT @Neil_FindlayMSP: @MrTCHarris I'd recommend the Daily Record today!

Neil Findlay ‏@Neil_FindlayMSP 40 mins40 minutes ago
    @MrTCHarris oh Thomas now, now don't throw your toys out the pram because your sense of entitlement is slipping away ......there, there.....

Tom Harris ‏@MrTCHarris 23 mins23 minutes ago
    @Neil_FindlayMSP ah, I see - my "sense of entitlement"? Good to know that Trots' penchant for personal abuse is alive and well.

I wonder if Labour realise, even ahead of the chaos and looming catastrophe, the damage such sniping and backbiting on their own is doing to them. How many voters does it put off? I don't know, but I'd guess a lot. It's the tactics of the playground, and it makes them look totally irresponsible.

Whoever becomes leader is going to need the skill level of a successful marriage guidance counsellor to heal the hate that's been going on.
    This is SLAB.

They don't care about chaos or catastrophe for the party. All Findlay and Harris care about is being in the top three on the Glasgow List which will be heavily contested but without that, their careers are over.

The Leadership isn't important to them, survival is.
  • Options
    :lol:

Plato said:

I can't understand anyone fancying Caroline Flint. She's got such a hard face, and that gap between her teeth. When combined with her paleness/dark hair - she looks like she wants to bite my neck.
    Ms Eagle's total lack of looks and a voice that could clean a blocked sink seems preferable to be eaten by a poor man's vampire.

Plato said:

I felt that Angela Eagle is just the sort of looker we need representing wimmin in the Party.

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

"Okay, I've voted.

Leader JC > LK > YC > AB

If I were a current Labour voter and twitter user, I would call you "an evil bitch" (just to stay in character, you understand) and still complain about sexist comments by others.

Meeoww
    You may say that I could not possibly comment.
    Ms Eagle http://viz.co.uk/category/millie-tant/
    NSF PC
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Indigo said:

ydoethur said:

You can read the headlines in the Telegraph without breaching the paywall. I do wonder why some people think that getting around digital security systems so as to obtain something for free is somehow alright. Honest citizens who would never dream of stealing anything physical will cheerfully and casually loot a web-site and even, as we have seen on here this morning, post instructions to help others do the same.

A person uses their knowledge, skill and talents to create something which they then try and sell. If it is a physical object then to steal it is wrong, but if it is electronic it's fair game. It is an attitude that I just do not understand.

In other circumstances I might agree with that Mr Llama. However, I ran out of articles this month because the same article opened itself three times on the website. That would of course have only counted once in the print edition.

I'll make a concession - I have only read three articles and one quiz on Firefox. I won't read any more. It has to be said, there's not usually a lot that's worth reading anyway.

(In addition to reading the headlines, I often do skim-read whole articles, to consider whether something is worth buying. Usually, I decide it isn't. The same principle could apply there as well.)
    I wasn't trying to have a pop at you, Doctor, merely trying to explore an attitude that seems to be both prevalent and antipathetical to a knowledge based economy.
    It cuts both ways. The Telegraph almost certainly knows about the loopholes, it almost certainly knows which computers are getting around it, but its costs too much do bother doing anything about it compared to the additional subscriptions gained, so they don't. If a person were actively using fraudulent credentials to gain access to their systems, that would be a wholly different kettle of fish, and indeed an offence under the Computer Misuse Act, that same act in essence says that if you are daft enough to give people access to your data, you cant really blame them for using it.
    That is what I call the shop-lifter argument. Shops know that by having their goods out where people can select them that some are going to get stolen. Therefore it's their fault and stealing from shops is actually OK.
    Mr Llama, the correct shop analogy for the DT would be the greengrocer with his display out the front unattended, a big sign saying FREE FOOD but tiny letters in the corner politely asking to please come in and pay if people want to take more than a dozen of anything.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Voted - Cooper - Corbyn - Burnham - Kendal.
  • Options
    How did you rank for Deputy? And what was it about Yvette that won you over?
    justin124 said:

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Mr Llama, the correct shop analogy for the DT would be the greengrocer with his display out the front unattended, a big sign saying FREE FOOD but tiny letters in the corner politely asking to please come in and pay if people want to take more than a dozen of anything.

And to help him count, the greengrocer puts a sticker on your shirt every time you take one item. He expects you never to change your shirt.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Financier said:
    I am even more European with 49.2% and should go and live in the Netherlands apparently (which I wouldn't mind doing because I like the Cloggies and their way of life).
    I hate cyclists - so I would probably end up living in Wyoming.
    Wyoming looks great for cycling !
    Yankee Doodle land is most definitely not good for cycling - you are expected to use the gutter or hard shoulder with few exceptions, and when they do bike things they are often - as here - badly designed and more dangerous than the roads. They have little concept of cycling as a third mode of travel in addition to motor vehicles and pedestrians.

The Glass Elevator descent is perhaps an exception !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnD8MBwUEHo
    That looks fun but it really shows why GoPro and Garmin need to sign a deal so that the GoPro can capture some speed details when filming.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited August 2015
    JEO said:

80% of the public believe that the UK has no more space to accept more migrants
    56% believe this strongly
    76% believe the government is too soft on refugees and migrants entering the UK
    62% do not have confidence in David Cameron to resolve the Calais crisis

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/nearly-80-uk-adults-reject-further-migration?

This is a major problem for both the Conservatives and Labour. As I've said before, if we don't get limits on immigration in the EU renegotiation, I think No will win.

The elephant in the room being that doing anything about this at all requires not being in the EU. We can discount any rearrangements of the deckchairs of Cameron's renegotiation which wont change the numbers by more than a couple of percent. This is why anyone who comes on here saying the public don't care about Europe is frankly talking out of their hat, the public care incredibly strongly about immigration, and the second they collectively twig that being in the EU is the proximate cause of massive immigration....

Incidentally that result is 8% up on the equivalent questions in the BSA Survey last year, well outside any margin of error.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,310
    edited August 2015

Indigo said:

ydoethur said:

You can read the headlines in the Telegraph without breaching the paywall. I do wonder why some people think that getting around digital security systems and even, as we have seen on here this morning, post instructions to help others do the same.

A person uses their knowledge, skill and talents to create something which they then try and sell. If it is a physical object then to steal it is wrong, but if it is electronic it's fair game. It is an attitude that I just do not understand.

In other circumstances I might agree with that Mr Llama. However, I ran out of articles this month because the same article opened itself three times on the website. That would of course have only counted once in the print edition.

I'll make a concession - I have only read three articles and one quiz on Firefox. I won't read any more. It has to be said, there's not usually a lot that's worth reading anyway.

(In addition to reading the headlines, I often do skim-read whole articles, to consider whether something is worth buying. Usually, I decide it isn't. The same principle could apply there as well.)
    I wasn't trying to have a pop at you, Doctor, merely trying to explore an attitude that seems to be both prevalent and antipathetical to a knowledge based economy.
    It cuts both ways. The Telegraph almost certainly knows about the loopholes, it almost certainly knows which computers are getting around it, but its costs too much do bother doing anything about it compared to the additional subscriptions gained, so they don't. If a person were actively using fraudulent credentials to gain access to their systems, that would be a wholly different kettle of fish, and indeed an offence under the Computer Misuse Act, that same act in essence says that if you are daft enough to give people access to your data, you cant really blame them for using it.
    That is what I call the shop-lifter argument. Shops know that by having their goods out where people can select them that some are going to get stolen. Therefore it's their fault and stealing from shops is actually OK.
    I look at a telegraph article every now and then. If I thought to count it might be two or three a fortnight. I also as a matter of housekeeping regularly clear the cache on my computer which seems to set the telegraph counter to zero (it might not I have no idea).

I really don't have the time to count how many articles I have read and police myself from clicking on a link (from PB, say) to the telegraph. I have no idea how many I am entitled to free anyway..

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Sandpit said:

And to help him count, the greengrocer puts a sticker on your shirt every time you take one item. He expects you never to change your shirt.
    :+1:
    Anyway, mods to delete this whole conversation in 3, 2, 1...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Plato said:

Plato said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

"Okay, I've voted.

Leader JC > LK > YC > AB

Meeoww
    Chaucer's Wife of Bath had the gap between her teeth. Back then, it was a sign she was a real goer.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Dair said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Financier said:
    I am even more European with 49.2% and should go and live in the Netherlands apparently (which I wouldn't mind doing because I like the Cloggies and their way of life).
    Yankee Doodle land is most definitely not good for cycling - you are expected to use the gutter or hard shoulder with few exceptions, and when they do bike things they are often - as here - badly designed and more dangerous than the roads. They have little concept of cycling as a third mode of travel in addition to motor vehicles and pedestrians.

That looks fun but it really shows why GoPro and Garmin need to sign a deal so that the GoPro can capture some speed details when filming.

Why would they need a deal?

A simple GPS in the GoPro would do it.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    52.2% European like someone from the Netherlands
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    If the DT hadn't dumped its Blog section - I'd have paid to subscribe - but apart from a Hodges article and the odd thing mentioned here - I don't go there at all now.

I used to love their animal photos - but a whole month's allowance is used on just a single link.
    TOPPING said:

Indigo said:

ydoethur said:

snip

I look at a telegraph article every now and then. If I thought to count it might be two or three a fortnight. I also as a matter of housekeeping regularly clear the cache on my computer which seems to set the telegraph counter to zero (it might not I have no idea).

I really don't have the time to count how many articles I have read and police myself from clicking on a link (from PB, say) to the telegraph. I have no idea how many I am entitled to free anyway..

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Dair said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Financier said:

Do you think Froome will do the double ?
  • Options
    Plato said:

justin124 said:

Apparently she expressed regret at how she voted.
    For Deputy I went - Creasy - Flint - Watson - Bradshaw - Eagle. The last three supported Blair on the Iraq vote.
  • Options
    Dair said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Financier said:

Check out https://www.airdog.com/ going to make this sort of photography sooo much cooler when it ships. Judging by the number of pre-orders is going to be another very successful Kickstarter (sadly I have no commercial interest in the project ;) )
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    edited August 2015
    justin124 said:

Plato said:

justin124 said:

For Deputy I went - Creasy - Flint - Watson - Bradshaw - Eagle. The last three supported Blair on the Iraq vote.
    Surely Flint did too? At any rate, she was in government and didn't resign.

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2008/may/16/1
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,310
    Plato said:

If the DT hadn't dumped its Blog section - I'd have paid to subscribe - but apart from a Hodges article and the odd thing mentioned here - I don't go there at all now.

I used to love their animal photos - but a whole month's allowance is used on just a single link.

TOPPING said:

Indigo said:

ydoethur said:

snip

Plus why go on to the DT at all when there is so much fun to be had atm on CiF.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Incidentally, this morning I'm detecting a few straws in the wind that the relevance of some of Jeremy Corbyn's history is dawning on some of his supporters.

Are you adjusting your positions?

I have laid off a little bit over the past 24 hours. Mainly because I hit my bank overdraft limit unexpectedly, and needed the money, but also to reduce my exposure a tad.
    A few days ago, I thought it was all over and it probably is. But I don't think it's 1.1 any more, probably more like the 1.4 it's trading around. Note Nick Palmer's comments. He still doesn't think it's a done deal and he's advised people to be a bit cautious.

I decided yesterday when Peter Kellner was arsing around that I would be fearful while others are greedy. That's probably the wrong decision, but I'm going to the States during September (and I'm not in the country that much before then), so I won't be able to alter my betting positions at will. I can do without the stress of watching impotently from abroad while a large betting position collapses. I'll lose if Liz Kendall wins, but I can deal with that. And I still get a four figure sum if Jeremy Corbyn wins. isam would probably tell me I've been a mug and I may well have been. Oh well.
    Set me up for something I haven't said and then say you don't care! You must be a lawyer
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Incidentally, this morning I'm detecting a few straws in the wind that the relevance of some of Jeremy Corbyn's history is dawning on some of his supporters.

I have laid off a little bit over the past 24 hours. Mainly because I hit my bank overdraft limit unexpectedly, and needed the money, but also to reduce my exposure a tad.
    A few days ago, I thought it was all over and it probably is. But I don't think it's 1.1 any more, probably more like the 1.4 it's trading around. Note Nick Palmer's comments. He still doesn't think it's a done deal and he's advised people to be a bit cautious.

I decided yesterday when Peter Kellner was arsing around that I would be fearful while others are greedy. That's probably the wrong decision, but I'm going to the States during September (and I'm not in the country that much before then), so I won't be able to alter my betting positions at will. I can do without the stress of watching impotently from abroad while a large betting position collapses. I'll lose if Liz Kendall wins, but I can deal with that. And I still get a four figure sum if Jeremy Corbyn wins. isam would probably tell me I've been a mug and I may well have been. Oh well.
    Set me up for something I haven't said and then say you don't care! You must be a lawyer
    Just wait until you get the invoice.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Plato said:

justin124 said:

You are correct - so I gave my 1st preference to the only candidate not to support Blair in that vote - though of course she was not there at the time.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Ms Plato,

"I can't understand anyone fancying Caroline Flint. She's got such a hard face, and that gap between her teeth."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw5JyXNEwtk

• Options
    Amazingly Cathy Newman has had the brass neck to write a blog piece including the line:
    Crying “sexism” when it might be nothing of the sort risks devaluing the term.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11811706/Yvette-Coopers-wrong-its-not-sexist-to-think-Ed-Balls-influences.html
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Indigo said:

Dair said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Financier said:

Check out https://www.airdog.com/ going to make this sort of photography sooo much cooler when it ships. Judging by the number of pre-orders is going to be another very successful Kickstarter (sadly I have no commercial interest in the project ;) )
    Holy smokes I wasn't expecting the sub £1k price point !
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Plato said:

justin124 said:

You are correct - so I gave my 1st preference to the only candidate not to support Blair in that vote - though of course she was not there at the time.
    Isn't that how Ed beat David?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Plato said:

justin124 said:

Don't worry Justin, your conscience is clear (if Creasy can be trusted, which in fairness I think she probably can): http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/aug/03/stella-creasy-labour

I was just surprised that you singled out those three, when Flint was just as enthusiastic about the war as any of them - indeed, possibly more so.
  • Options
    JEO said:

By the way, I've been thinking about the right slogan for the Out campaign, given the difficulty of negative framing in a referendum. What about these?

- More EU? Just say No.
    - Say No to Brussels.

I like "Just Say No" as I explain on my blog that contains posts about betting and politics from a pro gambler and potential parliamentary candidate that are unworthy of PB

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/

I also saw a twitter account that is for OUT "In the know".. not bad I thought

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Financier said:

Do you think Froome will do the double ?
    Possibly.

In his favour - no big contenders are going into the Vuelta fresh apart from Fabio Aru who didn't really impress me in the Giro, I don't think he has the endurance yet even against a partly spent Froome.

Against him - it's the Giro and the Spanish have a habit of throwing up some completely dubious contender (and yes, it's because their Spanish and any Spanish sporting performance should bee seriously doubted in any sport)

The biggest problem Froome will have is his team. There's a lack of support there. But at 3/1 with Paddy Power there's some value.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,558
    Dair said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Financier said:

If it helps, he would be pushing the 55 mph limit if he wanted to do so.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Plato said:

Plato said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

"Okay, I've voted.

Leader JC > LK > YC > AB

Meeoww
    Chaucer's Wife of Bath had the gap between her teeth. Back then, it was a sign she was a real goer.

Back then, simply having teeth at all was a good start.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    I used to find Tim, formally of this Parish, rather misogynistic...
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Dair said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Financier said:

That is very sweet. But I envision carnage in a few years time with say a couple of dozen people using this going up and down Ventoux or D'huez or somesuch on their holidays.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Plato said:

Plato said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

"Okay, I've voted.

Leader JC > LK > YC > AB

Meeoww

Not necessarily - sugar decay only became common in the 16th century. Before that, wear was common, but not decay.

EDIT - indeed come to think of it, among the middle classes it would have been later than that - seventeenth century perhaps?
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    MattW said:

Dair said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Financier said:

If it helps, he would be pushing the 55 mph limit if he wanted to do so.
    You can put the Garmin data on to your video with Dashware,it is free and great fun.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Any women standing on an anti austerity ticket?

The 2 on offer are dire from a traditional Labour supporter viewpoint.

One is a Tory in my view, the other cannot choose between tea and coffee in any decisive way.

Only one of the men is running on an anti austerity package so no 2nd preference for me.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Plato said:

I like that one. I get very confused about No meaning BOO.

JEO said:

By the way, I've been thinking about the right slogan for the Out campaign, given the difficulty of negative framing in a referendum. What about these?

- More EU? Just say No.
    - Say No to Brussels.

Say YES to the EEA ... ?

BTW - on the subject of cycling in Wyoming (or anywhere really in the USA) the distances are what I think would preclude the hobby. And no matter how much fun freewheeling down the (stunningly beautiful) Powder River Pass in the Big Horn Mountains would be, hauling yourself up them can be no fun.
    To be fair my family and I remember driving past a struggling cyclist going up the hairpins leading to the top of the mountain that overlooks the (stunningly beautiful) Geirangerfjord in Norway. Half an hour later we gave him 3 cheers as he finally reached the top.
    Norway has all the best trolls of course.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    On topic

Some extraordinary abuse for Kendall. Corbyn supporters seem to be following the Cybernat route to winning friends and influencing people. Has Jez himself intervened at all?

Whoever wins labour is heading for a turbulent time to say the least.

/gets popcorn in
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Just voted.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Just voted.

You know Corbyn makes sense...
  • Options

Any women standing on an anti austerity ticket?

The 2 on offer are dire from a traditional Labour supporter viewpoint.

One is a Tory in my view, the other cannot choose between tea and coffee in any decisive way.

Only one of the men is running on an anti austerity package so no 2nd preference for me.

Cooper is an economist by background. What sealed it for me was her rejection of the 'Labour spent too much' narrative. I believe she is much more likely to take that argument on directly.
  • Options

On topic

Some extraordinary abuse for Kendall. Corbyn supporters seem to be following the Cybernat route to winning friends and influencing people. Has Jez himself intervened at all?

Whoever wins labour is heading for a turbulent time to say the least.

/gets popcorn in

Kendall is a carpet bagger in a party to which she has no ideological connection, with a safe seat to which she has no geographic connection. She is the poster girl for everything which is wrong with Labour at the moment and the complete alienation of those at the top from those who actual believe in the "Labour Movement".

Party beliefs are not moveable goals, they are beliefs which need to be adhered to and "sold" to the public if you want to be in power as well as delivered in an effective way. Simply changing those beliefs to those of your more successful opponent is utterly ridiculous and should be ridiculed.

Any abuse that Kendall receives is utterly justified, the individual is the worst type of politician and a pretty poor excuse for a human being.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ouch! Hattie Hatemen isn't going to like this one being brought up again.

Theresa May for next Tory leader, purely to spite the Feminists?

Theresa May IS a Feminist, I hate to break it to you.
  • Options

I know this is off -topic but would be grateful for the indulgence of Board members. I believe there are several here from a teaching background and many who perhaps can relate to this. I have posted elsewhere on a subject about which I have strong feelings. Would welcome any views

‘Corporal punishment in state schools has been unlawful since September 1987. What most people do not realise is that much of the unofficial discipline that went on years before that was also unlawful. Whilst getting the cane or the slipper was ok if carried out within reason , it was never lawful to hit pupils with board rubbers/chalk etc – or to cuff them on the head or ear. The latter was never ‘authorised corporal punishment’ and when it happened it fell under the legal heading of ‘assault’.Even back in the 1950s a pupil hit across the head by a board rubber or teachers hand could have walked into a police station and reported the incident with a view to taking proceedings. Alas most pupils and parents were ignorant of the law, and teachers invariably relied on that to get away with effectively abusing their positions!
    We have been appalled in recent years to read the stories of sexual abuse by celebrities such as Jimmy Saville- Rolf Harris – Stuart Hall and others relating to incidents dating back several decades. Now when schoolteachers went beyond the law – throwing board rubbers for example – they were guilty of physical abuse.. Such an offence is much less serious than sexual abuse but ,nevertheless, I would point out that the possibility of seeking legal redress is still there – particularly if a group of ex-pupils can get together to amass evidence. Should a conviction be obtained the sentence imposed would obviously reflect the less serious nature of the offence as compared with Messrs Saville and Harris. If some of you still feel a strong sense of injustice – I would! – why not seek to expose these people and shock the living daylights out of them? Remember the saying ‘Revenge is a dish best served cold’.

• Options

I wonder whether Maggie would have been selected if party members had had a say in 1975. I suspect not.

Autres temps, autres moeurs.

Difficult to say. Had the current Tory rules been in place, Heath would have been ousted on a vote of no confidence roughly when he was. The question would then have been how the leadership election would have played out without Thatcher having received the boost she did from gaining such a big vote in the first round.

The traditional view is that Thatcher's election was in large part accidental in that it was mostly anti-Heath rather than pro-Thatcher and that the second round vote was a consequence of the first. Both assumptions are questionable. While there undoubtedly was a significant anti-Heath vote, there was no reason to assume that this would carry over. It didn't do for Heseltine in 1990, who dropped from 152 to 131 between first and second rounds. Although Thatcher did better as challenger in 1975, finishing ahead of Heath, had she been just a stalking horse, she'd have dropped back in the second round. She didn't, increasing her support from 130 to 146. There was clearly a pro-Thatcher support base among MPs.

On that basis, and assuming that the line-up for an election under current rules would have been the same as that which it was for the real second round, then it's surely inconceivable that the outcome of the MPs rounds could have been significantly different from that which actually occurred, with Thatcher holding a healthy lead over Whitelaw before the two went head-to-head among the members.

While Whitelaw was more the establishment choice, the evidence from 2001 onwards (admittedly on a much smaller membership), is that the party isn't averse to choosing outsiders, right-wingers or the unfashionable. It certainly wouldn't have been averse to choosing a right-winger in 1975 and though perhaps more establishment in its overall view, that may similarly have led to a willingness to defer to a clear lead from the MPs.

I think this is a rare instance where I'd disagree with Richard: on the balance of probabilities, Thatcher would probably still have come out on top.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

She isn't Labour's sort of feminist, aside from being a Tory of course, she also believes in equality ;)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    justin124 said:

I know this is off -topic but would be grateful for the indulgence of Board members. I believe there are several here from a teaching background and many who perhaps can relate to this. I have posted elsewhere on a subject about which I have strong feelings. Would welcome any views

‘Corporal punishment in state schools has been unlawful since September 1987. What most people do not realise is that much of the unofficial discipline that went on years before that was also unlawful. Whilst getting the cane or the slipper was ok if carried out within reason , it was never lawful to hit pupils with board rubbers/chalk etc – or to cuff them on the head or ear. The latter was never ‘authorised corporal punishment’ and when it happened it fell under the legal heading of ‘assault’.Even back in the 1950s a pupil hit across the head by a board rubber or teachers hand could have walked into a police station and reported the incident with a view to taking proceedings. Alas most pupils and parents were ignorant of the law, and teachers invariably relied on that to get away with effectively abusing their positions!
    We have been appalled in recent years to read the stories of sexual abuse by celebrities such as Jimmy Saville- Rolf Harris – Stuart Hall and others relating to incidents dating back several decades. Now when schoolteachers went beyond the law – throwing board rubbers for example – they were guilty of physical abuse.. Such an offence is much less serious than sexual abuse but ,nevertheless, I would point out that the possibility of seeking legal redress is still there – particularly if a group of ex-pupils can get together to amass evidence. Should a conviction be obtained the sentence imposed would obviously reflect the less serious nature of the offence as compared with Messrs Saville and Harris. If some of you still feel a strong sense of injustice – I would! – why not seek to expose these people and shock the living daylights out of them? Remember the saying ‘Revenge is a dish best served cold’.

Pupils were often getting no more than they deserved (unlike sexual abuse).
  • Options
    On topic, there's no reason to vote for a woman if she isn't any good. And neither Yvette Cooper nor Liz Kendall are any good.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Here is a song you might like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ErN8QxjRsI
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

"Okay, I've voted.

Leader JC > LK > YC > AB

Meeoww

Not necessarily - sugar decay only became common in the 16th century. Before that, wear was common, but not decay.

EDIT - indeed come to think of it, among the middle classes it would have been later than that - seventeenth century perhaps?
    True, though not all decay comes from sugar, and other sugars (honey, for example), were readily available.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr 124,

Have you been reading the latest edition of Viz? It carries a mock advert for the compensation lawyers.

It was basically saying what you're written below (but much more amusingly). You do realise it was a piss-take?

I was hit by board rubbers, I had the clip round the ear and I was caned once. Had I told my parents, I'd have been in even more trouble.

Oh, and I had a good laugh at the Viz spoof advert.
  • Options
    On topic, "Remember how back in June there was an effort to find extra MP nominees to get Corbyn in the ballot but no such assistance was forthcoming for Mary Creagh who appeared to many to be a viable candidate."

Mary Creagh will have a battle on simply to win her seat next time. Not ideal for a leader.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr 124,

Have you been reading the latest edition of Viz? It carries a mock advert for the compensation lawyers.

It was basically saying what you're written below (but much more amusingly). You do realise it was a piss-take?

I was hit by board rubbers, I had the clip round the ear and I was caned once. Had I told my parents, I'd have been in even more trouble.

A friend of mine was a boarder at Shrewsbury in the Seventies and Eighties. He makes the place sound like Belsen.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Sandpit said:

She isn't Labour's sort of feminist, aside from being a Tory of course, she also believes in equality ;)
    A Feminist is a Feminist in my eyes, no matter what. I don't agree with AWS. Am I not a 'Labour Feminist' now.

And obviously she believes in equality. She's a feminist after all :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Margaret Beckett was temporary leader after Smith and was one of Blair's 2 rivals to succeed him
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

Not to mention statute of limitations problems unless you are within a very tight age range.
  • Options
    I find the notion of picking someone because of their gender really odd. I voted for Kendall second because I think that side of the Party needs to be given some support.

Yvette is by a tiny margin better Andy - he's just dreadful. I thought he was a real second rater before his campaign started, and he's just gone downhill every day. If he's not sucking up to Jerry, he's making vacuous football analogies and jokes that only he laughs at.

I can't think of a politician that's shown himself to be such an empty vessel so completely. How he was ever a contender is beyond me.
    Sean_F said:

On topic, there's no reason to vote for a woman if she isn't any good. And neither Yvette Cooper nor Liz Kendall are any good.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    @justin124

While speaking as a teacher I can't understand why anyone would want to throw a board rubber or anything else at a child, I can't see that this would lead anywhere, for the following reasons:

1) If it happened more than 30 years ago, it is unlikely even multiple visual attestations would be enough, if the only adult present denied it, to constitute prima facie evidence of deliberate assault. It could be argued that the teacher was throwing something to them and they didn't catch properly, or that hitting them on the ear was an accident, or simply that the whole thing was made up to get back at an unpopular teacher (that does happen, police claims to the contrary notwithstanding);

2) My understanding is that for assaults - and this would be assault, not physical abuse - there is a 6 month statutory limitation, although I would be happy to be corrected by a resident lawyer;

3) Even if it did get as far as a court, it is difficult to see a jury taking it seriously unless it was proven that it was sustained, long term and grossly disproportionate assault over a long period of time. If, for example, it was a cuff round the ear because the teacher saw the pupil hitting another pupil, the jury or even the judge might suggest that they were trying the wrong person for assault - which would be very counter-productive.

One way of seeking redress against a particularly sadistic teacher might be to launch a publicity campaign - but it's not difficult to imagine that could start a libel action.

So all in all, I would advise you that whatever grievance you have against your former teachers, it doesn't seem likely that you would get very far with it, and it might lead to a lot more mud being thrown at you which would be unpleasant for you.

Out of curiosity, what was the source of your earlier quotation?

EDIT - Some of the other comments rather go to prove my point!
  • Options
    Again on topic, there does seem to be a tendency for right wing female politicians (or those who are deemed to be insufficiently left wing) to receive some very nasty sexualised abuse. The campaign against Esther McVey, earlier this year, contained a lot of that.
  • Options
    I think there was a similar discussion on this issue previously, but I always ask this: if the Tories have always held 'top trumps' on this issue of equality, why then did Cameron's modernisation programme have to occur - of getting more women, and more ethnic minorities within the Conservative party? Why do the party not do well with women under 45, and ethnic minorities generally? Why did so many of their MPs vote against gay marriage, despite having a leader who is gay heading up the Scottish Conservative party?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

On topic, "Remember how back in June there was an effort to find extra MP nominees to get Corbyn in the ballot but no such assistance was forthcoming for Mary Creagh who appeared to many to be a viable candidate."

Mary Creagh will have a battle on simply to win her seat next time. Not ideal for a leader.

Quite, but it does show up some of the ridiculousness of the 'broaden the debate' argument that got Corbyn on there by ignoring the rule on MP nominations. Now, Creagh was not as ideologically distinctive as Corbyn, but either the party thinks MPs should screen the candidates for leader or they don't. If they do, then either keep the 35MP limit even if it restricts the debate somewhat (or have a situation similar to the Tories instead), or get rid of the limit, in which case maybe Creagh or someone else who cannot make the 35 limit ends up surprising everyone in the contest by being popular with the members, despite people thinking they would be too similar to X or Y.

As it is, the party still screened the candidates, but made a single exception to someone they perceived as no threat. Not ideal either.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2015
    On topic, in the case of Cooper the problem is the reverse, she is sexist towards men.
    Her entire policy position is "vote for me I'm a woman, and men are crap".

Thatcher was successful with her image as a housewife who would take care of the country like her own house, in contrast most Labour female politicians have a feminist image in which they decry that all men are "sexist b*stards".

There is the australian example of Julia Gillard, the most hated australian PM ever, who couldn't resist blaming everything on men and misogyny, even at the schoolchildren who threw sandwiches at her.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,558
    Dair said:

Indigo said:

Dair said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Financier said:

That is very sweet. But I envision carnage in a few years time with say a couple of dozen people using this going up and down Ventoux or D'huez or somesuch on their holidays.
    You would struggle to keep an Airdog legal in the UK for anything but the most remote places, since there is a 30m limit in distance from people.

Penalties will rightly be swingeing, as the Barrow in Furness case showed, and I think they would pursue Youtubers.

There may be hope for a unregulated couple of hundred feet, but I don't see them ever being allowed to roam near paths or roads.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I think there was a similar discussion on this issue previously, but I always ask this: if the Tories have always held 'top trumps' on this issue of equality, why then did Cameron's modernisation programme have to occur - of getting more women, and more ethnic minorities within the Conservative party? Why do the party not do well with women under 45, and ethnic minorities generally? Why did so many of their MPs vote against gay marriage, despite having a leader who is gay heading up the Scottish Conservative party?

It's not so much a commitment to equality, more that the Tories do seem to be more pragmatic and willing to think outside the box - if they think a candidate is a winner.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

Correct. Getting a clip round the ear was a bit of a right of passage. Comparing it with buggery is preposterous. But then again look who is making the claim.
    The real issue here is that the end of CP has led not just to a lack of discipline, but a lack of self discipline in children.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Mary Creagh is a seriously unpleasant woman as well. Spends most of her time picking fights with everyone - indeed, I sometimes think she would start a fight in an empty room. She was accused of inventing allegations that she took to the Standards Board while at Islington Council, about her Liberal Democrat rivals, and spent most of her time shadowing the environment brief saying how much she hated farmers. That's even leaving aside her trick in being selected for Wakefield when she's never lived nearer to it than Coventry.

If she had become leader, she would have made Jeremy Corbyn look like a unifying, avuncular and heavyweight figure. We'd have had five Labour party splits in the first four minutes.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617
    @Plato - did you resign from the Conservative Party so that you could vote in the Labour leadership election, or are you just waiting for the Tories to expel you? :-)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

Correct. Getting a clip round the ear was a bit of a right of passage. Comparing it with buggery is preposterous. But then again look who is making the claim.
    The real issue here is that the end of CP has led not just to a lack of discipline, but a lack of self discipline in children.
    I got a rubber chucked at me on occasions when I was behaving like a little shit. It's no big deal.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    "even at the schoolchildren who threw sandwiches at her."

I need a video of this.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    My thanks to those who contributed to the discussion on stealing data. I was disappointed but not surprised by the variations of the, "they make it easy so its OK", argument. The elasticity of conscience is clearly not something that belongs to a bygone age. All very sad.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tyson said:

This kind of Labour infighting that you allude to above is just depressing and destructive.

It all boils down to the poor selection of candidates.
    Corbyn is definitely unelectable as too is Kendell for different reasons. Kendall is just too light weight, Corbyn's politics are unpalatable.

That reduces us to Burnham and Cooper- who have just not risen to the challenge, and have no real affection or power base in the party.

And so we have this really ugly leadership race with a set of broadly unelectable candidates squabbling to who'll lead a party for a fractious three years before the putsch arrives and Labour pick someone with electoral appeal for 2020.

Interesting and astute comment, thank you. One question though - do you have any idea who the Labour party could find to have 'electoral appeal' in 2020 in that scenario? None of the candidates I have seen mooted look like a strong contenders.
    David Miliband and Alan Johnson polled best with yougov Johnson could be Howard to Miliband's Cameron
  • Options
    @Speedy I don't believe all female Labour politicians believe men are all sexist b*stards. I think Cooper's message was more that if Labour are a party on equality, then they shouldn't seek to have the leadership completely white and male-dominated. Where I disagree with her, is her reliance on the symbolism of being Labour's first female leader. I'd also say Gillard did receive her fair share of sexist abuse. As for Thatcher; a woman shouldn't have to emulate gender roles of being a house-wife in order to get elected. That in itself is a form of sexism.
  • Options
  • Options
    We had incredibly good discipline at my public school in the 70-80s. I can only recall a couple of rulers on knuckles in 7yrs there - and not mine! One person had a board rubber mark on his blazer that was impossible to get out. That was prank war and he looked pretty daft/embarrassed about it.

We'd jump to our feet/silence when teachers came in. Absolutely no lip or larking about. We were there to learn and become something. It was a very warm place and spirited, but never ever disrespectful. Being called *cheeky* wasn't clever or big. We looked down on those who tried it on as immature/stupid.
    Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr 124,

A friend of mine was a boarder at Shrewsbury in the Seventies and Eighties. He makes the place sound like Belsen.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    isam said:
    Why don't you just go and JOIN THE TORY PARTY
  • Options
    Corporal punishment is not coming back, and quite frankly if there is a disciplinary issue with children then the education system ought to find other solutions than merely the threat of violence. Thankfully, the hard-right of the Conservative party do not have that much influence.
  • Options

@Speedy I don't believe all female Labour politicians believe men are all sexist b*stards. I think Cooper's message was more that if Labour are a party on equality, then they shouldn't seek to have the leadership completely white and male-dominated. Where I disagree with her, is her reliance on the symbolism of being Labour's first female leader. I'd also say Gillard did receive her fair share of sexist abuse. As for Thatcher; a woman shouldn't have to emulate gender roles of being a house-wife in order to get elected. That in itself is a form of sexism.

Actually, I think portraying herself as a housewife was a major advantage politically, at a time when the country needed to be put in order economically.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

It was intended as a compliment.
  • Options

Corporal punishment is not coming back, and quite frankly if there is a disciplinary issue with children then the education system ought to find other solutions than merely the threat of violence. Thankfully, the hard-right of the Conservative party do not have that much influence.

More's the pity. I always thought that teachers campaigning for an end to corporal punishment were like turkeys campaigning for Christmas.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,337
    Dair said:

Any abuse that Kendall receives is utterly justified, the individual is the worst type of politician and a pretty poor excuse for a human being.

No, abuse is never justified, especially of colleagues. Full stop.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I find the notion of picking someone because of their gender really odd. I voted for Kendall second because I think that side of the Party needs to be given some support.

Yvette is by a tiny margin better Andy - he's just dreadful. I thought he was a real second rater before his campaign started, and he's just gone downhill every day. If he's not sucking up to Jerry, he's making vacuous football analogies and jokes that only he laughs at.

I can't think of a politician that's shown himself to be such an empty vessel so completely. How he was ever a contender is beyond me.

Sean_F said:

Burnham is the only one of the four with a net positive rating with Comres
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's not so much a commitment to equality, more that the Tories do seem to be more pragmatic and willing to think outside the box - if they think a candidate is a winner.
    Well, I've seen other Conervatives [online] speak about a commitment, or rather a support of the equality agenda. As for Labour, I think the best female Labour leader would have been Barbara Castle. I think it's understandable that in 1994 Labour opted for Blair, rather than Beckett. Unfortunately, I can't think of any fantastic female politicians that could've been, or could be now Labour's first female leader. Stella Creasy I like, but I don't think she's ready.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Actually, I think portraying herself as a housewife was a major advantage politically, at a time when the country needed to be put in order economically.
    I don't disagree: my point was that women shouldn't have conform to traditional gender roles in order to be seen as credible, and get elected.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''More's the pity. I always thought that teachers campaigning for an end to corporal punishment were like turkeys campaigning for Christmas. ''

As a studious sort who wanted to go to school, learn and mind his own business, I always felt corporal punishment protected me.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

More's the pity. I always thought that teachers campaigning for an end to corporal punishment were like turkeys campaigning for Christmas.
    I don't think it's a pity at all. Good on the teachers for realising kids aren't things to beat up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

This kind of Labour infighting that you allude to above is just depressing and destructive.

It all boils down to the poor selection of candidates.
    Corbyn is definitely unelectable as too is Kendell for different reasons. Kendall is just too light weight, Corbyn's politics are unpalatable.

That reduces us to Burnham and Cooper- who have just not risen to the challenge, and have no real affection or power base in the party.

And so we have this really ugly leadership race with a set of broadly unelectable candidates squabbling to who'll lead a party for a fractious three years before the putsch arrives and Labour pick someone with electoral appeal for 2020.

Interesting and astute comment, thank you. One question though - do you have any idea who the Labour party could find to have 'electoral appeal' in 2020 in that scenario? None of the candidates I have seen mooted look like a strong contenders.
    David Miliband and Alan Johnson polled best with yougov Johnson could be Howard to Miliband's Cameron
    Howard was on the front bench at the time, hammering away at Gordon Brown, had loyally supported Duncan Smith right to the end, and was in his early sixties. Johnson would be on the back benches doing TV interviews saying how rubbish Labour were, and approaching 70. David Miliband is not even in Parliament. Neither are serious contenders to replace Corbyn even in the direct emergency.

So I say again - where would this leader come from? The situation will be made worse if Corbyn appoints only left-wingers to his shadow cabinet - because none of them have any talent or electoral appeal at all!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Well, I've seen other Conervatives [online] speak about a commitment, or rather a support of the equality agenda. As for Labour, I think the best female Labour leader would have been Barbara Castle. I think it's understandable that in 1994 Labour opted for Blair, rather than Beckett. Unfortunately, I can't think of any fantastic female politicians that could've been, or could be now Labour's first female leader. Stella Creasy I like, but I don't think she's ready.
    Councillor Peter Golds brought the house down a few years ago when he asked Bernard Jenkin (then in charge of candidate selection) why there were more people from Kensington & Chelsea on the A List than from Yorkshire and Lancashire combined. The A list produced a very superficial form of equality.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

I got a rubber chucked at me on occasions when I was behaving like a little shit. It's no big deal.
    We used to get the strap if we couldn't recite the answer to the catechism questions assigned for homework. One strap on day one. Double that the next day if you still didn't know the answer. Four the next day. Eight the next day. I never saw it get beyond eight. These were Irish Christian Brothers.

Once, we retaliated by replacing a wooden peg holding up the blackboard with a stick of chalk, wet at one end. The water gradually softened the chalk until the blackboard fell down with an almighty clatter. How we all laughed, though we immediately regretted it. Fond memories.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to Boba Fett, TLBS, Bobajob etc?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2015
    isam said:

Whatever happened to Boba Fett, TLBS, Bobajob etc?

They formed a co-operative and called it Mr Wisemann. :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Barnesian said:

We used to get the strap if we couldn't recite the answer to the catechism questions assigned for homework. One strap on day one. Double that the next day if you still didn't know the answer. Four the next day. Eight the next day. I never saw it get beyond eight. These were Irish Christian Brothers.

Wasn't it Dave Allen who said that the Irish Catholic religious orders, including the nuns, beat the fear of God into him, so he became an atheist?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    edited August 2015

Sean_F said:

I don't think it's a pity at all. Good on the teachers for realising kids aren't things to beat up.
    Agreed. It is perfectly possible to control an entire school of children very effectively without even the threat, let alone the actuality, of violence or other physical chastisement. Given that it is perfectly possible to do it, there is no need to allow for the possibility of that threat in the first place.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Councillor Peter Golds brought the house down a few years ago when he asked Bernard Jenkin (then in charge of candidate selection) why there were more people from Kensington & Chelsea on the A List than from Yorkshire and Lancashire combined. The A list produced a very superficial form of equality.
    I'm not surprised. All political parties seem to be unable to produce anything other than superficial forms of equality these days, as opposed to deal with structural issues that can hold the working classes, ethnic minorities, and women back in life.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

They have been replaced by unruly kids who think defenceless kids are things to beat up. We have simply replaced a minor form of barbarism with a more major one.