Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn price getting weaker – Burnham price hardening on Be

SystemSystem Posts: 12,032
edited August 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn price getting weaker – Burnham price hardening on Betfair

At his peak Corbyn was a 48% chance on Betfair – he’s now edged down to 38%.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,367
    edited August 2015
  • Corbyn Dallas!
  • Chris Leslie = Tory sleeper agent? :)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    Nomination papers going out in a week or so, right? Assuming a lot of people will fill them in pretty quickly, the Corbyn bubble needs to be busted leading up to that date I should think. It won't dissuade the hard line folk, but if those currently swept up in the momentum can be convinced Corbyn is dangerous to Labour and its values, not just a passionate left winger, now's the time I guess.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Corbyn Dallas!

The Fifth Candidate?

• Corbyn Dallas!

The Fifth Candidate?

Leeloo Kendall? :lol:
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    edited August 2015
    kle4 said:

Nomination papers going out in a week or so, right? Assuming a lot of people will fill them in pretty quickly, the Corbyn bubble needs to be busted leading up to that date I should think. It won't dissuade the hard line folk, but if those currently swept up in the momentum can be convinced Corbyn is dangerous to Labour and its values, not just a passionate left winger, now's the time I guess.

Corbyn will certainly win the first round, if he is going to be beaten it will be by about 51%-49% in the final round in a rerun of the 1981 victory of Dennis Healey over Tony Benn for the Deputy Leadership by the narrowest of margins which Healey won 50.4% to Benn's 49.6%
  • I see this election going 2 ways, neither end up with Corbyn being the Labour candidate at 2020.

Firstly Corbyn wins the leadership election, the division which it will cause within the Labour party will either lead to a coup forcing him out a couple of years down the line or more likely he stands down due to seeing the effect he has caused, trying to bow out gracefully.

Secondly the Labour party come comes to its senses and either Cooper or Burnham is elected leader, i've got a feeling that it will be Cooper.
  • So Chris Leslie thinks that Corbyn as leader will harm the poor. They just don't get it do they? The PLP is so out of touch with the constituencies it is unreal...this suited muppet pops up and says stuff like that and it just confirms what the Corbyn supporters believe. What harms the poor is the Labour leadership nodding through welfare reforms in the form of family budget busting tax credit cuts that will result in thousands of the poorest families losing their homes.

I see this election going 2 ways, neither end up with Corbyn being the Labour candidate at 2020.

Firstly Corbyn wins the leadership election, the division which it will cause within the Labour party will either lead to a coup forcing him out a couple of years down the line or more likely he stands down due to seeing the effect he has caused, trying to bow out gracefully.

Secondly the Labour party come comes to its senses and either Cooper or Burnham is elected leader, i've got a feeling that it will be Cooper.

Burnham was second with yougov and CLPs
  • FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Either would be a disaster for the UK.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    On topic:

Looks like an opportunity.

Laid Burnham £20; Backed Corbyn £20.
  • CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited August 2015

It's get Hammer Corbyn time

Wow. I don't think he'll be staying as shadow chancellor if Corbyn gets in.

Labour seem to be caught in a strange sort of twilight zone where they neither agree nor disagree with reducing government spending.
  • flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

I see this election going 2 ways, neither end up with Corbyn being the Labour candidate at 2020.

Either way the damage is done
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,101
    Pulps- I must admit I've detected some weakening of the Corbyn position, in my friends, this last few days- so the betfair price doesn't surprise me.

There is a long way to go yet.
    Pulpstar said:

On topic:

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    tyson said:

Pulps- I must admit I've detected some weakening of the Corbyn position, in my friends, this last few days- so the betfair price doesn't surprise me.

Pulpstar said:

On topic:

Cooper is still in this...
  • I'd put more value on Cooper still rather than Burnham. Burnham is still overvalued IMO.
    'anti-austerity' is a leftie meme to justify spend spend spend. Leftie activists want their buttons to be pressed.
    @flightpath- I think you're wrong. If Cooper or Burnham were to win now, and I think this probably favours Burnham more, they will be emboldened and have a positive narrative in the media.

• PaulyPauly Posts: 897

'anti-austerity' is a leftie meme to justify spend spend spend. Leftie activists want their buttons to be pressed.

Call me an optimist - but running on an anti-austerity platform doesn't make sense if Osborne pulls off a huge surplus for 2020.
    @Pulps- I've done a fair bit of hedging against Corbyn today. 3 days ago I was utterly convinced he would win; today I'm not too sure.
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

On topic:

Cooper is still in this...
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Pulpstar said:

On topic:

Hoped you got on laying Hillary. I piled in last weekend at 1.21. Now the back price is 1.3.

tyson said:

@flightpath- I think you're wrong. If Cooper or Burnham were to win now, and I think this probably favours Burnham more, they will be emboldened and have a positive narrative in the media.

I agree with you Tynon. If Corbyn doesn't do it then that will be big narrative boost for whoever does and the party itself.

• tyson said:

No if they win it from behind on the first round then they'll be damaged from day one and face an emboldened and divided left.
  • Just a quick question, is anyone on here a regular Labour voter and supporting Corbyn?
  • The only way a Cooper/Burnham victory is a positive one now is if somehow miraculously they manage to win from first round to last. Any other result and they'll be tarnished from the start, while the left will be energised and get to do what they always love doing - shout from the sidelines.
    Maybe in times to come we'll look at the Corbynasm like we look at the Cleggasm.
  • Just a quick question, is anyone on here a regular Labour voter and supporting Corbyn?

I think BigJohn and Sandy Rentool are Corbynites
  • The only way a Cooper/Burnham victory is a positive one now is if somehow miraculously they manage to win from first round to last. Any other result and they'll be tarnished from the start, while the left will be energised and get to do what they always love doing - shout from the sidelines.

True....but 5 years is a hell of a long time for people to forget tarnished starts....

• Maybe in times to come we'll look at the Corbynasm like we look at the Cleggasm.

I can't see Corbyn being Deputy PM and propping up a Tory government.

True....but 5 years is a hell of a long time for people to forget tarnished starts....

Like people forgot how Ed won the leadership?

Ed had it easier too, his brother departed to America. If the left win the first round then why would they sit down, shut up and respect the new leader.
  • I still have about £17k green on Corbyn but I ain't willing to lay him as he approaches 2/1. He's still more likely than that IMO. Could be costly but we'll see.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
    Given a choice between Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper, Yvette Cooper is obviously the best candidate. So Labour is veering towards Burnham, of course. Always able to rely on the party to make the wrong decision.
    edited August 2015
    @Philip- A win is a win is a win- even if they win on Labour's unfathomable system. A Cooper or Burnham victory will have at least 200 relieved MP's looking for some position of favour, pretty much all the media heralding them as champions, and as a result a personal mandate to be quite bold. It would be a victory to savour, no matter how it is won.

The question is can either Burnham or Cooper seize their opportunity? Have they got what it takes to seize the initiative? If they have- they will deserve to win, and they will be much better placed for it to make a genuine attempt to get the keys for Number 10 in 2020.

tyson said:

No if they win it from behind on the first round then they'll be damaged from day one and face an emboldened and divided left.

Ed had it easier too, his brother departed to America. If the left win the first round then why would they sit down, shut up and respect the new leader.
    I don't think Ed lost it due to the leadership election, if you look around 2012-2013 every poll has him in double digit leads, i think what did for him was the message of the economy and linking Labour to the SNP in a hung parliament.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    AndyJS said:

Given a choice between Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper, Yvette Cooper is obviously the best candidate. So Labour is veering towards Burnham, of course. Always able to rely on the party to make the wrong decision.

But the general-public polls rate Burnham as more popular than Cooper (and more popular than Osborne too).
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited August 2015
    What to make of this?

I played cricket for the local teams second XI today in an away fixture... When we got to the ground one of our first XI players was there but wasn't playing for us. Turns out he was playing in an Asian only league game...

Personally if I were asked to play in a whites only game I wouldn't have it and would be amazed it was allowed
    tyson said:

Indeed, the narrative has shifted in recent weeks from their being the 'centre left' candidates against the 'Blairite' Kendall, to being the 'moderate' candidates against the 'hard left' Corbyn
    AndyJS said:

Obviously not as Burnham has led Cooper in every poll of the general public so far

The only way a Cooper/Burnham victory is a positive one now is if somehow miraculously they manage to win from first round to last. Any other result and they'll be tarnished from the start, while the left will be energised and get to do what they always love doing - shout from the sidelines.

David Davis won the first round of the Tory leadership contest in 2005, it made not the slightest difference to the narrative from Cameron's ultimate victory
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,307
    edited August 2015
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Indeed, the narrative has shifted in recent weeks from their being the 'centre left' candidates against the 'Blairite' Kendall, to being the 'moderate' candidates against the 'hard left' Corbyn
    I think the way to unite the party is for Cooper or Burnham to appoint Corbyn as Shadow CoE in place of, what's his name - Leslie something.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    isam said:

What to make of this?

I played cricket for the local teams second XI today in an away fixture... When we got to the ground one of our first XI players was there but wasn't playing for us. Turns out he was playing in an Asian only league game...

Personally if I were asked to play in a whites only game I wouldn't have it and would be amazed it was allowed

I realise last time we had this discussion I was in a minority of one, but I am not sure the comparison is entirely valid. Just because I think both "white only" and "non-white" cricket teams are wrong, does not mean that they are equally wrong. The former is more wrong than the latter.

Maybe in times to come we'll look at the Corbynasm like we look at the Cleggasm.

I think you might be on to something here Mike. I've already detected some of the balloon deflating. The trauma of Labour's loss has done very strange things to members psyche, myself included.

What's happened to Jack's ARSE BTW? For us punters, a sight of the legendary ARSE would be very much appreciated thank you very much, yours in advance, sincerely.

I know Jack said that he needed some time away for personal stuff- but he's had some time off and he should be back by now, otherwise...or else....

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

I think the way to unite the party is for Cooper or Burnham to appoint Corbyn as Shadow CoE in place of, what's his name - Leslie something.

He does not need Shadow Chancellor, Overseas Aid would do
    Ed's personal ratings were abysmal- right from the start. He was a drag on Labour.

The only way a Cooper/Burnham victory is a positive one now is if somehow miraculously they manage to win from first round to last. Any other result and they'll be tarnished from the start, while the left will be energised and get to do what they always love doing - shout from the sidelines.

I don't think Ed lost it due to the leadership election, if you look around 2012-2013 every poll has him in double digit leads, i think what did for him was the message of the economy and linking Labour to the SNP in a hung parliament.
  • tyson said:

Ed's personal ratings were abysmal- right from the start. He was a drag on Labour.

Naught but Tory Propaganda from @tyson!

Labour increased their GE2010 score of 29.0% by 1.4% under Ed!
  • William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    edited August 2015
    It feels like the Burnham campaign has been playing it smart lately, positioning himself as the unity candidate in a party that's on the edge of civil war.

Meanwhile Cooper has been rather anonymous, really. And Corbyn is facing a constant barrage, even if much of that barrage is rather inept.
  • HYUFD said:

David Davis won the first round of the Tory leadership contest in 2005, it made not the slightest difference to the narrative from Cameron's ultimate victory
    Completely different, Davis did so not merely weeks but months before the actual vote meaning it was merely a part of the nomination process. As far as the actual vote itself was concerned Cameron's victory was a comprehensive two to one victory.

Having a first round in October and a vote in December is not the same thing as the winner of the vote losing the vote that day.

isam said:

What to make of this?

I realise last time we had this discussion I was in a minority of one, but I am not sure the comparison is entirely valid. Just because I think both "white only" and "non-white" cricket teams are wrong, does not mean that they are equally wrong. The former is more wrong than the latter.
    Well don't worry you are in line with a lot of politicians/councils that practices affirmative action in the UK as if it were South Africa

I wouldn't have a problem if the people playing in that league were all Asian ex pats ie born in Asia, but if they are 'as British as I am' then it's bullshit

HYUFD said:

Completely different, Davis did so not merely weeks but months before the actual vote meaning it was merely a part of the nomination process. As far as the actual vote itself was concerned Cameron's victory was a comprehensive two to one victory.

Having a first round in October and a vote in December is not the same thing as the winner of the vote losing the vote that day.
    I mean seriously, what happened to David Davis? He stood down from shadow home secretary and off into obscurity, via the by-election.

I think BigJohn and Sandy Rentool are Corbynites
    Jez we Can!
  • Maybe in times to come we'll look at the Corbynasm like we look at the Cleggasm.

Maybe next time you can vote for the winner of the LD leadership? :lol:
  • HYUFD said:

I mean seriously, what happened to David Davis? He stood down from shadow home secretary and off into obscurity, via the by-election.
    Too Wayward A Tory?
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I see, from the graph, that purple is rising! Burnham, like Cooper is wallowing in false colours.

Whatever the Labour voters say, Labour, as a pay is doomed. Doomed I tell ye!!!!
    comrade- you're really barking up the wrong tree pursuing this line of argument, even if there's logic to what you're saying.

A win's a win.

HYUFD said:

• MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    isam said:

isam said:

What to make of this?

Well don't worry you are in line with a lot of politicians/councils that practices affirmative action in the UK as if it were South Africa

I wouldn't have a problem if the people playing in that league were all Asian ex pats ie born in Asia, but if they are 'as British as I am' then it's bullshit

Perhaps you can just "identify" yourself as Asian, and join them anyway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11670528/White-woman-posed-as-black-civil-rights-leader-in-years-long-deception.html

• MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    pay = party

Just a quick question, is anyone on here a regular Labour voter and supporting Corbyn?

I am still torn between Corbyn and Burnham. Changing my mind on almost a daily basis.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2015

Corbyn Dallas!

multipass :lol:
  • Danny565 said:

Just a quick question, is anyone on here a regular Labour voter and supporting Corbyn?

I am still torn between Corbyn and Burnham. Changing my mind on almost a daily basis.
    Andy Corbyn
    Jeremy Burnham

:lol:
    tyson said:

Unsurprisingly I think I am right.
    It matters not who wins or loses. The next leader of Labour is immeasurably weakened. Corbyn will split the party. So would Kendall. The other two would have to deal with the fact that it's the left wing genie they have needlessly shaken out of the bottle that is asking all the questions and is not interested in answers it does not like.
    Beating Corbyn? Where is the kudos in that? What they are faced with are not just Corbynites but Bennites Trotskyites Scargillites and every other loony toon militant tendency let loose by this mad election system.
  • isam said:

isam said:

What to make of this?

Perhaps you can just "identify" yourself as Asian, and join them anyway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11670528/White-woman-posed-as-black-civil-rights-leader-in-years-long-deception.html

Asia's a BIG continent, stretching from the Bosporus to the Bering Strait :)
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067
    edited August 2015
    A reminder for anyone fancying this. It's also possible to anonymous if you wish by choosing first and second names as I have done 'scrap' and 'heap'...

I've grabbed the bull by the horns and set up a league on the free fantasy league game from the premier league.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

The code to join this private league is 1336513-316355
  • Corbyn Dallas!

multipass :lol:
    Leeloo Kendall :)
    It'll be a narrative boost to someone who when the race started was perceived as desperately mediocre.

SeanT said:

tyson said:

I agree with you Tynon. If Corbyn doesn't do it then that will be big narrative boost for whoever does and the party itself.

Ridiculous demented burbling. Labour have a calamitous leader election where one side calls the other "morons" - literally - and the other calls the first "a virus" - literally - and then in the end some desperately mediocre leader no one wants, somehow wins, because the other was an IRA supporting Marxist lunatic, and this - this - THIS - will be a BIG NARRATIVE BOOST FOR LABOUR.

??

Look! Vote Conservative in 1998! In the end they DIDN'T elect Mussolini as leader!

"Morons".
  • A reminder for anyone fancying this. It's also possible to anonymous if you wish by choosing first and second names as I have done 'scrap' and 'heap'...

I've grabbed the bull by the horns and set up a league on the free fantasy league game from the premier league.

Oooooh
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's like a horror show. Every time you go on a Labour Party website and read about how Corbyn is going to win the next election according to those posting comments. Total bubble existence.
  • isam said:

isam said:

What to make of this?

Like this you mean? http://www.quaideazam.org.uk/

This league has been going as least as long as I have. Looks like there are some non-Asian players registered there too.

The bullshit here is people whinging when there is, in fact, no problem.
    Conor Pope ‏@Conorpope 3h3 hours ago
    Jeremy Corbyn got more CLP nominations (152) than Ed Miliband (151), while Kendall (18) got more than Balls (17) but fewer than Abbott (20).

A reminder for anyone fancying this. It's also possible to anonymous if you wish by choosing first and second names as I have done 'scrap' and 'heap'...

Oooooh
    I was on about this earlier!

• A reminder for anyone fancying this. It's also possible to anonymous if you wish by choosing first and second names as I have done 'scrap' and 'heap'...

Oooooh

So long as I finish above Scrapheap, that's all I care about.

Oooooh

Unlikely....
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

Ridiculous demented burbling. Labour have a calamitous leader election where one side calls the other "morons" - literally - and the other calls the first "a virus" - literally - and then in the end some desperately mediocre leader no one wants, somehow wins, because the other was an IRA supporting Marxist lunatic, and this - this - THIS - will be a BIG NARRATIVE BOOST FOR LABOUR.

??

Look! Vote Conservative in 1998! In the end they DIDN'T elect Mussolini as leader!

"Morons".
    No, because it would mean Labour had avoided their IDS moment, they would not have elected Corbyn to succeed Miliband as the Tories elected IDS to succeed Hague
  • Danny565 said:

Conor Pope ‏@Conorpope 3h3 hours ago
    Jeremy Corbyn got more CLP nominations (152) than Ed Miliband (151), while Kendall (18) got more than Balls (17) but fewer than Abbott (20).

Jez we can!
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    A frightening level of youth unemployment in Italy, practically 50%. Must be truly terrible for Italians coming out of school/uni with no future to look forward to.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/economics/article4514332.ece
  • SeanT said:

Best/only hope for the Left is a Tory implosion over Europe in 2017.

Though Labour are doing their best to avoid even that hope transpiring by imploding themselves over Europe in 2015.
    edited August 2015

HYUFD said:

Cameron won the ultimate vote in a head to head, if members had also had the chance to vote for Clarke and Fox he may well have still lost a first round
  • "Comrades, this is your Leadership Candidate. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our motherland's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The Conservative Party! For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage. It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Atlee, when the world trembled at the sound of our Nationalisations! Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our Progressiveness. The order is: engage the Corbyn Drive!

"Comrades, our own Parliamentary Party doesn't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our MPs behind, we will pass through the Conservative patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest constituency, and listen to their chortling and tittering... while we conduct Austerity Debates! Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Havana, where the sun is warm, and so is the... Comradeship!

"A great day, Comrades! We sail into history!"
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,367
    edited August 2015

Oooooh

Unlikely....
    Yeah, I'm going to be the Sergei Rebrov to your Bobby Sol

Oooooh

Unlikely....
    Yeah, I'm going to be the Bobby Sol to your Sergei Rebrov
    1. I'll be the Lambert/Benteke to your Mario/Borini.

2. I can unscrupulously and immorally red card you if you are beating me as I've the admin rights....

Oooooh

Unlikely....

2. I can unscrupulously and immorally red card you if you are beating me as I've the admin rights....
    Benteke scored an awesome goal today.

Bargain at 32.5million
  • PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    How the heck is Andy favourite again, did I blink and miss something?

Oooooh

Unlikely....

Bargain at 32.5million
    Perhaps he really will be the next Helder Postiga then
  • Pauly said:

Its a four-way contest between insane/nothing/nothing/too sane ... so nothing may win.
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

It'll be a narrative boost to someone who when the race started was perceived as desperately mediocre.

SeanT said:

tyson said:

??

"Morons".
    No. It won't. It really won't. Whoever wins will be perceived as leading a hideously divided party. And the division will go on. If Burn-Coop wins, she will then be attacked by the newly roused cyberLeft, who will feel themselves cheated; if Corbyn wins, the Labour Sensibles will have to fight for their entire existence.

All this is guaranteed.

Yes there might be a small polling blip as an actual Opposition sort of emerges, and as people wish to express loathing of the Tories, but the damage will be done. Below the waterline.

The winner will have won fair and square even with entryism. If Burnham or Cooper wins Corbyn will get a small post like overseas aid but the hard left will have no significant influence, neither are Michael Foot, this is not Healey v Benn (though it would be if Corbyn, a Benn disciple, were to win). 5 years is a long time in politics and anything can happen, Cameron will not be leading the Tories in 2020 either which also weakens them
    There's been some fantasy football tonight just down the road from me where Fiorentina beat Barcelona, 2-1. Go the Viola

SeanT said:

Though Labour are doing their best to avoid even that hope transpiring by imploding themselves over Europe in 2015.
    Interestingly if Corbyn were to win he could be leading the No campaign alongside Farage and Hannan while Cameron leads the Yes campaign alongside Farron, Blair and Sturgeon
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    Pauly said:

I presume people think Corbyn may have peaked too soon, or simply not have enough to win through on second preferences, and Cooper's continuing invisibility means even Burnham's occasional fumbling means he is most likely the stop Corbyn candidate.

isam said:

isam said:

What to make of this?

Like this you mean? http://www.quaideazam.org.uk/

This league has been going as least as long as I have. Looks like there are some non-Asian players registered there too.

The bullshit here is people whinging when there is, in fact, no problem.
    Yeah Righto

If there was a white only football league in South London I'm sure you'd be telling black people who objected they were talking bulshit if they said they felt alienated from it even though the all white organisers and all white teams said anyone can join

Oooooh

Unlikely....

Bargain at 32.5million
    It's going to take a lot of goals against giants like Swindon to pay that back.
  • Corbyn is likely to be on the Pro-EU side, funnily enough:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/28/jeremy-corbyn-backs-british-membership-of-eu

I don't see any evidence Labour are imploding over Europe.

• tyson said:

There's been some fantasy football tonight just down the road from me where Fiorentina beat Barcelona, 2-1. Go the Viola

Talking of fantasy matches, Gareth Bale may be playing vs Spurs this week.... I don't think I can take that....
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn will certainly win the first round, if he is going to be beaten it will be by about 51%-49% in the final round in a rerun of the 1981 victory of Dennis Healey over Tony Benn for the Deputy Leadership by the narrowest of margins which Healey won 50.4% to Benn's 49.6%

If Corbyn wins the first round, it will be physically impossible for him to be beaten by 51-49 in the final round, because there will be no further rounds beyond the first round. The first round would, by definition, be the final round. It would only be possible for Corbyn to be beaten 51-49 in the final round if nobody wins the first round.
  • I reckon we may all be hopelessly overestimating how much attention most people are paying to the Labour leadership election. Making judgements about Labour's future before the new leader is announced is a fool's errand. That said, it is undoubtedly the case that the Tories are Labour's best chance in 2020. They have the EU referendum to navigate and they may just overplay their hand in other areas. Everyone has been promised a pay rise and a living wage to make up for the tax credit cuts. Let's see how that pans out.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Pauly said:

Call me an optimist - but running on an anti-austerity platform doesn't make sense if Osborne pulls off a huge surplus for 2020.
    If that happens it would only be the third surplus under a Tory Government since 1945 - compared to nine years of surplus under Labour.
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067
    edited August 2015
    At least one arsenal supporter appears to have signed up for this Political Betting anoraks fantasy football league.

this is now going to be a bigger test of my ethics and 'cricket' spirit than I first realised...

on the plus side, it suggests 'banter' is likely.
  • I've joined the league
  • Fantasy football league? PB struck me as a place full of cricket, rather than football fans.
  • Fantasy football league? PB struck me as a place full of cricket, rather than football fans.

it is possible to be both - I have experienced many gloomy days on here over winter months with england getting stuffed in the wee small hours and then spurs following suit later in the day.

On occasion one or two kindly posters have even posted their concern as to my well being on such bleak days.... which do seem to come round rather too often!!!