Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A busy night of local by-elections previewed by Harry Hayfi

2»

Comments

• Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    JEO said:

Why do we need immigrants to be fruit pickers, carers or cooks? The first seems like a very low value add activity for which workers will likely have their standard of living subsidised by the state. The last two seem like ideal things to train British people up to do. If British people are unwilling, then the restricted labour supply will push up wages until they are willing.

I disagree about needing advice to get through the system. I work with many skilled immigrants who applied without hiring any advice. All the information is on the website, often with very simple calculators. The brightest and employable university graduates easily qualify.

Well there is a long history of seasonal work on the land and for it being done by temporary immigrants. Otherwise yes - there is a move away from being willing to 'serve'. Maybe we should treat that profession with more respect, I don't know.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Disraeli said:

Tim_B said:

I have met Roger Staubach and Tom Landry. I have had my picture taken on the star at the centerfield in Texas Stadium. I have been to several Cowboys Monday Night Football games, and the Super Bowl the Cowboys won in Atlanta.

I have also met Bart Starr, and after a couple of minutes chat on the Ice Bowl, he poked me in the stomach and said I was a Cowboys fan, yet still said to call him Bart and shook my hand.

If I was a fan I'd be a Dallas fan ;)

As the saying amongst the yoofs goes: "Massive Respect!"
    Was Mr Landry wearing his famous hat?

I used to listen to AFN as well!
    I used to live in Augusta, and was invited to a breakfast at which he was speaking. There were piles of his book for sale, with pre-signed book plates. I took my pe-purchased book and I asked him to sign it. He asked me to hold his hat, and I got a personalized autograph in my book.

Then someone asked me if I was going back past the National, because coach had a 10am tee time. So I went up Magnolia Lane and delivered Tom Landry plus his clubs to Augusta National Golf Club.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Disraeli said:

Tim_B said:

Disraeli said:

Tim_B said:

BELLS
    In the house of Kate and her father.
    snip

Excellent! :lol:
    Welcome to supporters of America's Team by the way.

At least it would be if I was a fan. ;)
    My interest in the Cowboys goes back to 1972, when I was a teenager. I'd only ever seen clips of American football in films, where it looked a rather shapeless game. However in 1972, ITV's "World of Sport" (remember that) showed highlights of the Superbowl between Dallas and Miami. There was a brief explanation of the rules and strategy beforehand.

I was captivated by the skills, organization and excitement of the play. In particular, the beauty of the long forward pass (though the balance of the offense favoured rushing in those days of course). Roger Staubach (the legend) threw a long bomb to Bob Hayes, the olympic sprinter, and it was just beautiful.

It's about the only sport, other than Test Cricket, in which I have a passing interest now.

BTW, something that I cannot explain. I like the way that the Patriots continually rebuild the team and get the most out of their players. I respect their coaching and organization. I admire the skills of Tom Brady. But for some reason, I always want the Patriots to lose. Crazy, eh?
    Not at all crazy. Belichick understands the organizational structure and processes required to create a culture of excellence and an expectation of winning. That is why no one person is indispensable to the team's overall performance. Admiration for the system and its success do not make it likable per se, and some of the key persons within the organization are anything but. Besides which, if you support another contender you always want the underdog to beat the Damn Yankees.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    MTimT said:

Disraeli said:

Tim_B said:

Disraeli said:

Tim_B said:

BELLS
    snip

My interest in the Cowboys goes back to 1972, when I was a teenager. I'd only ever seen clips of American football in films, where it looked a rather shapeless game. However in 1972, ITV's "World of Sport" (remember that) showed highlights of the Superbowl between Dallas and Miami. There was a brief explanation of the rules and strategy beforehand.

I was captivated by the skills, organization and excitement of the play. In particular, the beauty of the long forward pass (though the balance of the offense favoured rushing in those days of course). Roger Staubach (the legend) threw a long bomb to Bob Hayes, the olympic sprinter, and it was just beautiful.

It's about the only sport, other than Test Cricket, in which I have a passing interest now.

BTW, something that I cannot explain. I like the way that the Patriots continually rebuild the team and get the most out of their players. I respect their coaching and organization. I admire the skills of Tom Brady. But for some reason, I always want the Patriots to lose. Crazy, eh?
    Not at all crazy. Belichick understands the organizational structure and processes required to create a culture of excellence and an expectation of winning. That is why no one person is indispensable to the team's overall performance. Admiration for the system and its success do not make it likable per se, and some of the key persons within the organization are anything but. Besides which, if you support another contender you always want the underdog to beat the Damn Yankees.
    Belichick, love him or hate him, is a very smart, and very good coach.

But the Patriots have a reputation as cheaters.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    tyson said:

The life of a liberal. a genuine liberal is tough.

It is for you personally because you are rich. At least, that's what you have told the forum and I have no reason to doubt you.

You are rich and comfortable and you feel guilty about it, because others have not been so fortunate as yourself. Not only that, but you have made some of your wealth by methods which are (quite frankly) despised by many on the left. Again, you have told us this yourself, and I have no reason to doubt you.

You are so vehement in your postings because you are over-compensating due to your guilt.

Your wealth has not made you happy. Your posts reveal this constantly.

You make me think of the old biblical quote:
    "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

I am not saying this to you as an enemy - whatever you may think.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 7m7 minutes ago
    Conservatives HOLD Droitwich East (Wychavon).
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter

Blackadder lives!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I gathyer that the two Aberdeen by-elections won't be counted until Friday daytime. But in any case, I predict that the new councillor for Kincorth, Nigg and Cove will be uglier than the one he/she is replacing.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Flightpathl

'Mr Palmer says -- ''The leftie objection to the "swarm of hideous thugs trying to get in" stuff is that it trivialises the problem ''

In fact that sort of assertion lies about the problem. Linking Cameron's word 'swarms' with a word he has not used, 'thugs' is pretty cheap.'

Just like his canvassing returns then,fabricated.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Disraeli said:

tyson said:

It is for you personally because you are rich. At least, that's what you have told the forum and I have no reason to doubt you.

You are rich and comfortable and you feel guilty about it, because others have not been so fortunate as yourself. Not only that, but you have made some of your wealth by methods which are (quite frankly) despised by many on the left. Again, you have told us this yourself, and I have no reason to doubt you.

You are so vehement in your postings because you are over-compensating due to your guilt.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

O wad some Power the gift tae gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2015
    The outrage over the term ‘swarm’ by the left is so utterly ridiculous. It refers to a large group of people moving en masse. The BBC uses it to describe a pitch invasion.

The goals came from Marc Pugh, Matt Ritchie and Callum Wilson sparking wild scenes of celebration amongst the home fans who swarmed onto pitch after the final whistle.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02q4h8g

But if you really want to see how the word ‘swarm’ is used to dehumanise people, look no further than the Guardian's description of journalists.

Marina Hyde writing for Guardian: - “they should depict an animated Gordon Brown laying a giant turd, upon which a biblical swarm of flies promptly descend. The flies represent the media – and yes, these very words are a dispatch from this pullulating stool, which drew feeders from slavering hacks to anguished publicists.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/apr/28/gordon-brown-bigotgate-marina-hyde

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Hi Tim_B :) Right, need you to help me gain some sporting street cred with youngest son. For some reason best known to themselves, he and his mates have become avid NFL fans over last few years. So much so, I have on occasion, had to provide copious amounts of snacks and refreshments on Sunday nights while a bunch of teenage lads descend on our TV to watch games! As if footie, rugby, F1, golf & cricket didn't already dominant TV airways in my house! Anyhoos, they have even been down to Wembley to watch an NFL game, and all support various teams. For some reason, again, best know to himself, our lad now supports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. What are their chances this season, I know they didn't fair very well last season as I had to have a few choice words with my son about his language while following their games?
    Tim_B said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

Blackadder lives!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @tyson

'The life of a liberal. a genuine liberal is tough.'

Ah diddums,plenty of Kleenex available in Italy?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Which CLPs are nominating whom?

Jeremy Corbyn (141)
    Andy Burnham (110)
    Yvette Cooper (109)
    Liz Kendall (18)

Corbyn continues to pull away fm Burnham, 7 days ago they were separated by just 10 CLPs.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/which-clps-are-nominating-who-labour-leadership-contest
  • Options
    I must be in real trouble, as during a discussion with my three lads about the situation in Calais a couple of nights ago. I too used the term swarm to describe the large numbers of illegal immigrants surging towards the Channel tunnel in hope of overwhelming the French authorities and getting through to the UK. But then on the other hand, I have also often claimed over the years that a 'swarm of locusts' have left more crumbs in my fridge and food cupboards than my sons and their mates have done when they descend on our house in large numbers to be fed!! :)

The outrage over the term ‘swarm’ by the left is so utterly ridiculous. It refers to a large group of people moving en masse. The BBC uses it to describe a pitch invasion.

The goals came from Marc Pugh, Matt Ritchie and Callum Wilson sparking wild scenes of celebration amongst the home fans who swarmed onto pitch after the final whistle.

But if you really want to see how the word ‘swarm’ is used to dehumanise people, look no further than the Guardian's description of journalists.

Marina Hyde writing for Guardian: - “they should depict an animated Gordon Brown laying a giant turd, upon which a biblical swarm of flies promptly descend. The flies represent the media – and yes, these very words are a dispatch from this pullulating stool, which drew feeders from slavering hacks to anguished publicists.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/apr/28/gordon-brown-bigotgate-marina-hyde

• Options
    @Disraeli at his best with that very observant post. And just to be clear, I have long been a fan of Tyson on this site despite us being poles apart politically.

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

O wad some Power the gift tae gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,066

A lot of people are deliberately missing the point. Nobody is claiming "swarm" is a rude or taboo word. It is allusive; that's the problem. "A swarm" is composed of damaging insects like flies or locusts, often arriving to destroy things.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Hi @Christina. – I doubt there’s a parent of teenage boys out there who hasn’t described them and their friends as locusts at one time or another. Especially if they were staying overnight; every pack of sausages, bacon, loaf and an entire freezer full of pizzas all gone in 60 seconds with just the dirty plates left in the wake of their passing. :lol:
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,066
    MTimT said:

JWisemann said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

There is so much virtue signalling by rightwingers today. If you don't think immigrants are a swarm, they hate you for being either too rich or too poor, and they imply that you hate white people.

The meme has taken hold.
    It's a moronic phrase that deserves all the ridicule that can be thrown at it
    If the phrase captures a concept for which there currently is no succinct term, then it is not moronic, it is merely language. Personally, rather like "rubbernecking", I do think it captures a phenomenon which would benefit from a phrase. I suspect those who are most guilty of virtue signaling are the ones who find the phrase most objectionable. They should - it is meant as an insult to them.
    That's such virtue signalling. You are showing off your virtue by criticising people who behave in ways you don't approve.

Or, we all accept that virtue signalling is a silly meaningless conservative meme. It just means he has opinions she disagrees with.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    EPG said:

A lot of people are deliberately missing the point. Nobody is claiming "swarm" is a rude or taboo word. It is allusive; that's the problem. "A swarm" is composed of damaging insects like flies or locusts, often arriving to destroy things.
    So, wake up and smell the coffee...

This country is not a convenient 'squat' for the rest of the world
  • Options

Hi @Christina. – I doubt there’s a parent of teenage boys out there who hasn’t described them and their friends as locusts at one time or another. Especially if they were staying overnight; every pack of sausages, bacon, loaf and an entire freezer full of pizzas all gone in 60 seconds with just the dirty plates left in the wake of their passing. :lol:

Gannets is the preferred term round our house..
  • Options
    I kid you not, once got up on a Sunday morning after son No1 had a sleep over for ten (norm in rural area like ours) when he was sixteen to find that the fridge, cupboards and the freezer had been emptied and about two dishwasher loads of dishes, pots and pans in kitchen!! Speechless didn't even cover it, I had been at the supermarket the day before to stock up!! :)

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,096
    MTimT said:

Disraeli said:

Tim_B said:

Disraeli said:

Tim_B said:

BELLS
    snip

"Ah was 21 before I knew Damn Yankees was two words!"

Now, of course the word for all Americans is Septics!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    fitalass said:

I kid you not, once got up on a Sunday morning after son No1 had a sleep over for ten (norm in rural area like ours) when he was sixteen to find that the fridge, cupboards and the freezer had been emptied and about two dishwasher loads of dishes, pots and pans in kitchen!! Speechless didn't even cover it, I had been at the supermarket the day before to stock up!! :)

But, for all the mess and mayhem, you’ll miss it dreadfully when it comes to an end. I do.

Good night all.
  • Options
    Absolutely true, night all.

fitalass said:

But, for all the mess and mayhem, you’ll miss it dreadfully when it comes to an end. I do.

Good night all.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Another term I have used in the past, I wonder if Andy Burnham or Nigel Farage would display the same faux outrage at the use of yet another normal word featuring nature to describe human behaviour too? :)

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,096
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Good night all.
    Yep, when they're grown and gone......

Then you start watching them grumbling about their children. No 2 Grandson has just hit the "hollow legs stage" and his parents, inspite of their own experience, don't seem to understand.
  • Options
    I am already looking forward to my next big adventure as a grandparent in the future. :)

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Good night all.
    Yep, when they're grown and gone......

Then you start watching them grumbling about their children. No 2 Grandson has just hit the "hollow legs stage" and his parents, inspite of their own experience, don't seem to understand.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Another term I have used in the past, I wonder if Andy Burnham or Nigel Farage would display the same faux outrage at the use of yet another normal word featuring nature to describe human behaviour too? :)

well, probably a flock (is that the collective noun for gannets?) is less offensive than a swarm.

and then there's a h***
  • Options
    "A group of gannets has many collective nouns, including a "company", "gannetry", and a "plunging" of gannets."

we live and learn...
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

"A group of gannets has many collective nouns, including a "company", "gannetry", and a "plunging" of gannets."

we live and learn...

There are lots and lots of collective nouns for lots of different animals. Several of the words apply to several different animals, and several animals have various different words for the same animal. About 98% of them exist only in lists in reference books, and in questions in quizzes. In the real world of normal people, nobody talks about an "unkindness" of ravens, a "murder" of crows, or a "fesynes" of ferrets, unless they are being deliberately mega-quasi-nang-booliakterous.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    edited July 2015
    EPG said:

It is not always allusive though, that's the point - as the example of a swarm of journalists shows. It is not inherently, automatically offensive, it's not a word that if used causes shock or insult . People are pretending the mere use of the word is automatically offensive in this context, as they are ascribing evil intent based on use of the word. If that's the best evidence of ill intent , it's bloody weak.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,199
    kle4 said:

It is not always allusive though, that's the point - as the example of a swarm of journalists shows. It is not inherently, automatically offensive, it's not a word that if used causes shock or insult . People are pretending the mere use of the word is automatically offensive in this context, as they are ascribing evil intent based on use of the word. If that's the best evidence of ill intent , it's bloody weak.

Swarming also has a modern meaning of forming an ad-hoc team to focus on removing a critical problem.