Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson with an interesting LAB leadership bet

2»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202

HYUFD said:

At this rate, I'm going to be the only PBer not voting in the Labour leadership election

Don't miss out on the fun!
    I'm sticking to my line, I'd be narked if Labour supporters tried to sabotage a Tory leadership election.
    What are your thoughts on open primaries?

I'm torn between "democratic" and "vulnerable". Though the US experience (where candidates try to appeal to their party wingnuts before calming down to appeal to the wider electorate if they actually get selected) is not very appealing, even on the "democratic" front. And there is the argument that at least in the Tory party, they may make it harder to get a broad slate of BAME/women candidates, though I have no idea how true that is.
    Could I vote for Labour again? Or even rejoin the party rather than be a registered supporter? Quite possibly, but only under a new generation.

I did not lie when registering as a supporter.
    I feel much the same. I think this is a fair enough reason to participate in the elections. Even HYUFD is voting to express genuine preferences rather than to sabotage things, even if he isn't a natural Labour man, and I think that's fair enough too even if it goes against the spirit somewhat.
    Indeed, I am will put Corbyn last so will not sabotage
    Very principled. Your preferred order is near-enough the reverse of mine! But I don't think that vote-swapping so neither of us need to bother actually works in AV elections...
    Indeed, too complex for AV I think
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

From the same poll, Trump helps Hillary

“In a general election trial heat, Clinton leads Bush, the GOP fundraising leader, by
    a slight 50-44 percent among registered voters. But with Trump as an independent candidate that
    goes to 46-30-20 percent, Clinton-Bush-Trump – with Trump drawing support disproportionately from Bush, turning a 6-point Clinton advantage into 16 points.”
    http://www.langerresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/1170a22016Politics.pdf

It's come to the point where a 6% lead is "slight".
    In some state polls, like in Nevada and Virginia, Trump actually does better than Bush against Hillary, in fact in Nevada Trump gets more hispanic voters than Bush or Rubio, which tells a lot about the unpopularity of Bush and Rubio among minorities.

Anyway, my take on the Benefits Bill is that Harman did Labour no favours, the reaction inside Labour will be harsh and just at the right time to elect a new leader.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Broxtowe CLP nomination meeting

Corbyn 43 votes
    Burnham 15
    Cooper 6
    Kendall 2

Cooper and Kendall didn't have a rep present at the meeting advocating their case

Absolute madness in action. Nick of course recommended a vote for Cooper.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,068
    Is there any opinion polling on the welfare bill?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited July 2015
    GIN1138 said:

Cameron's speech on terrorism and Islam etc... Very good I think.

Cameron's really impressing me at the moment (and as you may have observed I'm not that easy to impress)

Seem's Richard Nabavi has been right about Cam all aloing!!!!

He finally actually dropped that stupid and terrible line about the latest terrorist attack having nothing to do with Islam and is using the same language as his own Muslim Minister saying that is nonsense and just trying to ignore it is part of the problem i.e. that these extremists claim to be following the purest interruption of the Koran, want to take the world back to the 7th Century and thus are the purest Muslims.

This is what needs to be challenged and by at least acknowledging this it is at least a start.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Some of the questions were er.... " interesting "
  • Options
    How did the SNP vote tonight?
  • Options
    EPG said:

Yeah May 2015 HMG Poll - Con Maj.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    RodCrosby said:

@Scott_P Any election with just two candidates is necessarily FPTP, including the final round of an AV election. The Tories have an AV election. The twist is the electorate changes for the final round...

No they don't. As well as the final-round twist, they have a system where punters can change their preferences between each round. Big difference.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited July 2015
    We've heard of "Tories For Palmer" but was there any "Tories For Corbyn" in Broxtowe? :smiley:
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Could labour's position on the welfare changes be possibly any worse? They've peeved off everyone and pleased no one.

We now have an Ominshambles Opposition.
  • Options
    notme said:

Could labour's position on the welfare changes be possibly any worse? They've peeved off everyone and pleased no one.

Reminds of that Thick of It episode when they are trying to work out if to rebel over the special schools bill....
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

@Scott_P Any election with just two candidates is necessarily FPTP, including the final round of an AV election. The Tories have an AV election. The twist is the electorate changes for the final round...

No they don't. As well as the final-round twist, they have a system where punters can change their preferences between each round. Big difference.
    Sorry, yes that should read quasi-AV. It's actually known as the Exhaustive Ballot. I was trying to emphasize it's not FPTP.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited July 2015
    notme said:

Shame there's not a PMQ's this week... That would be a good line for Cam to pick up if he's reading us now while chillaxing with a glass of something cold and bubbly. :smiley:
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    People on Twitter saying if Labour had voted against the welfare bill, it would've been defeated. Then they wonder why people are voting for Corbyn
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    TGOHF said:

Oh dear he twists and turns and obfusticates

@andyburnhammp: To clarify - I will be voting to oppose the Welfare Reform Bill tonight by voting for a Labour motion which I helped secure.

Now that is a ludicrous position to take.

He won't vote down the Bill - but will vote for an amendment that is bound to fail.

That is like having two cakes and eating neither - just sitting watching them rot in front of you.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Sorry, yes that should read quasi-AV. It's actually known as the Exhaustive Ballot. I was trying to emphasize it's not FPTP.
    And nor is it a system for choosing an electoral college which then chooses the government.

Apart from those major three differences of purpose and operation, it has some similarities with AV as an electoral system.

Welcome back, BTW!
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Der Spiegel report claims that the latest Greek bailout deal was not designed to be accepted by Greece, just to be so bad as to force Greece into Grexit.

"German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble had a plan to push Greece out of the euro zone. Chancellor Merkel wasn't sure what to do about it. The result is widespread resentment of Germany and a damaged Franco-German relationship."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/schaeuble-pushed-for-a-grexit-and-backed-merkel-into-a-corner-a-1044259.html

Schäuble first consulted with other conservative finance ministers belonging, as Schäuble's CDU does, to the European People's Party. Like Schäuble, most were in favor of a Grexit and the men hatched a plan for how they could force Greece from the common currency area. The ministers agreed to formulate such strict conditions for a third aid package that the Greek government would never be able to accept them. As a means to push Greece out of the euro, Schäuble had devised a so-called trust fund, into which all revenues from the sale of Greek assets would flow. For Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, that would have been impertinent enough. But the conservative ministers wanted to go even further and demand that the fund be located in Luxembourg, a stipulation Tsipras could not possibly accept.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

People on Twitter saying if Labour had voted against the welfare bill, it would've been defeated. Then they wonder why people are voting for Corbyn

But they are incorrect.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Tories elect their leader, which some describe as a form of AV.

Only people who don't know what they are talking about.

The Tory leadership election is FPTP, winner takes all. Cameron beat Davis, there was no mucking about with preferences.
    In a contest with two people, how could you have second preferences? One of the candidates will get more than 50% and one wont.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

People on Twitter are far more often wrong than they are right.

If there was any prospect of a defeat, the Tory whips would have worked extra hard to avoid it. As it was, the Labour position meant the Tory back room boys and girls could have an easy time of it.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

People on Twitter saying if Labour had voted against the welfare bill, it would've been defeated.

Proof, if ever it were needed, that you shouldn't believe everything you read on Twitter.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    edited July 2015
    RodCrosby said:

First post since the election:

AV is a great system, because it is almost impossible to "game." I'm really enjoying this Labour leadership contest. I hope Corbyn beats the androids...

@corporeal. The UK system became uniform in 1950, not 1945, with the abolition of the STV (University) seats and the last few double-members.

Quite right, clearly we haven't done a thread on it recently enough.

Technically not AV I believe, since it's a multi-round system rather than preferences (AV being also known as instant run-off voting), but very much of the same family (complicated by the change in electorate). (As I see you've noted)
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

And nor is it a system for choosing an electoral college which then chooses the government.

Apart from those major three differences of purpose and operation, it has some similarities with AV as an electoral system.

Welcome back, BTW!
    It's classified as being in the same 'family' as AV by psephologists, along with the French two-round system, the Contingent Vote and several others.

• Options
    edited July 2015

Danny565 said:

People on Twitter saying if Labour had voted against the welfare bill, it would've been defeated.

Proof, if ever it were needed, that you shouldn't believe everything you read on Twitter.
    The person is saying only 308 MPs voted for it (hence would've been outnumbered if everyone else voted against).
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

“In a general election trial heat, Clinton leads Bush, the GOP fundraising leader, by
    a slight 50-44 percent among registered voters. But with Trump as an independent candidate that
    goes to 46-30-20 percent, Clinton-Bush-Trump – with Trump drawing support disproportionately from Bush, turning a 6-point Clinton advantage into 16 points.”

In some state polls, like in Nevada and Virginia, Trump actually does better than Bush against Hillary, in fact in Nevada Trump gets more hispanic voters than Bush or Rubio, which tells a lot about the unpopularity of Bush and Rubio among minorities.

Anyway, my take on the Benefits Bill is that Harman did Labour no favours, the reaction inside Labour will be harsh and just at the right time to elect a new leader.

Goodnight.
    Still the number of Hispanic registered Republicans is pretty small in a sample of US poll size (often a few hundred people), so treat like Welsh Ukip subsamples.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

EPG said:

Yeah May 2015 HMG Poll - Con Maj.
    I'm sure it is more popular than 37-63...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

The person is saying only 308 MPs voted for it (hence would've been outnumbered if everyone else voted against).
    That's what alex salmond just said. But does that figure take into account pairing etc? And how many MPs were only a lobby bell away from getting there?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Indeed - if nothing else changed.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Goodnight.
    I remain of the view Hillary will win but it will be tight. On the Benefits Bill Harman could not oppose without risking losing floating voters
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dust off your Ross Perot comparisons everyone.
  • Options
    notme said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

That's what alex salmond just said. But does that figure take into account pairing etc? And how many MPs were only a lobby bell away from getting there?
    Surely some of the non-308 MPs are Conservatives?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

This 'person' doesn't understand how voting in the Commons works then. This is what happens when you let 'people' have access to keyboards and an internet connection!
  • Options
    Andrew Sparrow nails it in his as-ever excellent live blog:

Overall, it has been a terrific night for the Tories, and for George Osborne in particular. The chancellor did some choice stirring this morning, using a Guardian article to urge Labour MPs to vote with the government, and if that was intended to embolden Labour rebels, it probably worked. Labour are entitled to say that the party has had bigger rebellions before. But Harriet Harman wanted to use a Labour abstention to show that the party was changing its stance on welfare, but instead her tactic backfired, because all the focus tonight has been on the Labour split.
    it seems quite likely that, by the time MPs get to vote on the bill’s third reading, the Labour leader will be either Burnham or Cooper and the party as a whole will be voting against the bill. No doubt that would please Osborne too.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/jul/20/reaction-to-camerons-speech-on-tackling-extremism-politics-live
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Danny565 said:

Indeed - if nothing else changed.
    Eitherway, it's a gift to Corbyn. It shows how bogus this whole line from the leadership is about how "Labour can't stop these things anyway so it doesn't matter how they vote". With such a thin govt majority, and probably quite a few Tory MPs quietly nervous about what their electoral prospects will be once low-paid workers' incomes start dropping, how Labour votes could make the difference between these things passing or not passing.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Eitherway, it's a gift to Corbyn.

Yes, that too. More reason for Osborne to be delighted.
  • Options
    notme said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Nats relying on their supporters being thick as usual ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

TGOHF said:

Oh dear he twists and turns and obfusticates

@andyburnhammp: To clarify - I will be voting to oppose the Welfare Reform Bill tonight by voting for a Labour motion which I helped secure.

Now that is a ludicrous position to take.

He won't vote down the Bill - but will vote for an amendment that is bound to fail.

That is like having two cakes and eating neither - just sitting watching them rot in front of you.
    And "helping to secure" an amendment put down by the Labour Party (but voted against) is presented is presented as some kind of achievement...
  • Options
    Incidentally, among the Labour rebels were 4 of the small number of MPs to gain seats from the Tories.
  • Options
    Liz Kendall said "Can you imagine a male politician being asked about their weight."

In fact the same journalist had indeed asked George Osborne about his weight earlier on.
  • Options
    notme said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I forget what it was about, but I remember one vote (copied from the plot of a tv series if I recall correctly) where people pretended they weren't going to vote and had gone home, hid in their offices, and then slipped in to vote at the last minute to get a surprise loss.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    edited July 2015
    308 just about guarantees victory.

319 Opposition MPs. Then deduct:

4 Sinn Fein
    2 Deputy Speakers
    2 tellers

Leaves just 311.

So literally every single opposition MP would have had to turn up and vote against - ie including Carswell, all Northern Ireland (exc SF) - and even then the Government would only lose by just 3 votes.
  • Options
    Did Corbyn lead the rebels tonight?
  • Options
    The LabourList comments are, how shall I put this, not entirely supportive of Harriet's tactics...

http://labourlist.org/2015/07/48-mps-break-whip-to-vote-against-welfare-bill-full-list/
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,644
    corporeal said:

notme said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I forget what it was about, but I remember one vote (copied from the plot of a tv series if I recall correctly) where people pretended they weren't going to vote and had gone home, hid in their offices, and then slipped in to vote at the last minute to get a surprise loss.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1509435/Blairs-whips-fooled-by-West-Wing-plot.html
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Labour rebels:

Diane Abbott / Debbie Abrahams / David Anderson
    Richard Burgon / Dawn Butler / Ann Clwyd
    Jeremy Corbyn / Geraint Davies / Peter Dowd
    Paul Flynn / Mary Glindon / Roger Godsiff
    Helen Goodman / Margaret Greenwood / Louise Haigh
    Carolyn Harris / Sue Hayman / Imran Hussain
    Gerald Jones / Helen Jones / Sir Gerald Kaufman
    Sadiq Khan / David Lammy / Ian Lavery
    Clive Lewis / Rebecca Long Bailey / Andy McDonald
    John McDonnell / Liz McInnes / Rob Marris
    Rachael Maskell / Michael Meacher / Ian Mearns
    Madeleine Moon / Grahame Morris / Kate Osamor
    Teresa Pearce / Marie Rimmer / Paula Sherriff
    Tulip Siddiq / Dennis Skinner / Cat Smith
    Jo Stevens / Graham Stringer / David Winnick
    Iain Wright / Daniel Zeichner / Kelvin Hopkins (Teller)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/welfare-bill-passed-48-labour-mps-defy-leadership-and-vote-against
  • Options
    MikeL said:

4 Sinn Fein
    2 Deputy Speakers
    2 tellers

Leaves just 311.

So literally every single opposition MP would have had to turn up and vote against - ie including Carswell, all Northern Ireland (exc SF) - and even then the Government would only lose by just 3 votes.

AFAIK, all non-Tory MPs bar Carswell would oppose welfare cuts.
  • Options
    One slight problem here.

Tax credits were introduced in 2003. When Lammy was 31 years old

@DavidLammy: When I was growing up my mum relied on tax credits. Tonight in opposing the Welfare Bill I voted for millions of people who do the same.
  • Options

One slight problem here.

@DavidLammy: When I was growing up my mum relied on tax credits. Tonight in opposing the Welfare Bill I voted for millions of people who do the same.

He really is thick. Utterly brainless.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

4 Sinn Fein
    2 Deputy Speakers
    2 tellers

Leaves just 311.

AFAIK, all non-Tory MPs bar Carswell would oppose welfare cuts.
    Sure - but if the Govt knew that Carswell would not vote against then they would only need to know that 3 opposition MPs were absent in order to win.

They may have known that a whole host of people were not present.
  • Options

One slight problem here.

To be fair, it's rather ageist of you to assume that Lammy wasn't still growing up at 31.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

HYUFD said:

Dust off your Ross Perot comparisons everyone.
    Indeed, though research has shown Perot drew equally from Bush and Clinton in 1992. Night
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014

One slight problem here.

Specialist subject :)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Labour seem to have made a complete fiasco of today. George Osborne must be unable to believe his luck.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,868
    RodCrosby said:

Did Corbyn lead the rebels tonight?

The trouble with rebelling is, as IDS found out to his cost, that you can't then expect loyalty in return when you become the leader.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

One slight problem here.

Not at all suprising coming from the man who thought Henry VII succeeded Henry VIlI.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    An interesting thing about the Labour rebels is that there are very few men under 50 in the list. I make it just the following:

Richard Burgon, Imran Hussain, Gerald Jones, Sadiq Khan, David Lammy, Iain Wright.

Most of the rebels are either women or veteran male MPs like Dennis Skinner, Jeremy Corbyn, Paul Flynn.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

One slight problem here.

If you are going to lie, at least make it plausible. The man is a total moron and the fact he is ever consider for any significant role constantly amazes me. He was a total disaster when he had government role to do with higher education.
  • Options
    @DavidLammy: . @derekdraper Family Income Support introduced 1971 and then Family Credit. In-work benefits same as those now named tax credits.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

@DavidLammy: . @derekdraper Family Income Support introduced 1971 and then Family Credit. In-work benefits same as those now named tax credits.

Still digging...and talking of morons...Derek Draper...now there is a blast from the past, with limited intellectual ability.
  • Options

corporeal said:

notme said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1509435/Blairs-whips-fooled-by-West-Wing-plot.html
    A round of applause for my glamorous assistant everyone.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    AndyJS said:

An interesting thing about the Labour rebels is that there are very few men under 50 in the list. I make it just the following:

Richard Burgon, Imran Hussain, Gerald Jones, Sadiq Khan, David Lammy, Iain Wright.

Most of the rebels are either women or veteran male MPs like Dennis Skinner, Jeremy Corbyn, Paul Flynn.

Actually it's 7 not 6: Clive Lewis also.
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    antifrank said:

Labour seem to have made a complete fiasco of today. George Osborne must be unable to believe his luck.

Unbelievably inept. All Tory Christmases have come at once. This has increased the chance of Corbyn as leader.
    Labour ought to have voted against of course, and highlighted the egregious edge-cases in the legislation which render hardship on the poorest. That's their job.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited July 2015
    Based on his 'I voted against it before I abstained.....and I'll vote against it when I become leader (unless undefined major changes are made)' stance, I'm calling the Labour leadership election for anyone but Burnham. The bile being directed at him from within the Labour party is really something to behold.

Oh George, what a masterstroke that budget was.......
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited July 2015

Danny565 said:

If there was any prospect of a defeat, the Tory whips would have worked extra hard to avoid it. As it was, the Labour position meant the Tory back room boys and girls could have an easy time of it.
    I'd hope the Tory whips were smart enough to keep the Aye vote at <310 deliberately.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Danny565 said:

I'd hope the Tory whips were smart enough to keep the Aye vote at <310 deliberately.</p>
    My thoughts exactly.....paints it as a possible loss which will enrage the Lab rank and file.

• Options
    Looks like a bit of an age and gender divide on the Labour benches: younger male MPs not prepared to rebel over the welfare changes. Probably mirrors public opinion.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    If elected, Corbyn will be the oldest leader since Foot in 1980, and if elected PM in 2020, the oldest PM since Churchill in 1951.

At almost 71, he would also be the oldest first-time PM in British history, beating Palmerston's record which has stood since 1855...
  • Options
    "Budding police constables must speak second language in Met pilot scheme

Hopefuls must have command of English plus one of 14 other languages: Arabic, Bengali, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Sinhala (Sri Lanka), Spanish, Turkish or Yoruba (Nigeria)."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/20/police-constables-second-language-metropolitan-pilot-scheme
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Hopefuls must have command of English plus one of 14 other languages: Arabic, Bengali, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Sinhala (Sri Lanka), Spanish, Turkish or Yoruba (Nigeria)."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/20/police-constables-second-language-metropolitan-pilot-scheme

The hell-hole that is Londonistan...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Surprising that Broxtowe CLP has nominated Corbyn. You'd have thought they'd be a relatively moderate branch. On the other hand the same could be said of Bedford who also nominated him.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    AndyJS said:

Surprising that Broxtowe CLP has nominated Corbyn. You'd have thought they'd be a relatively moderate branch. On the other hand the same could be said of Bedford who also nominated him.

They picked the only HUM∀N candidate on the ballot...

What's not to like?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,096
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

The hell-hole that is Londonistan...
    Discrimination against Welsh speakers. I note too that neither French nor Romanian are listed.