Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson with an interesting LAB leadership bet

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited July 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson with an interesting LAB leadership bet

In all the discussion about the rights and wrongs of Labour’s response to the government’s Welfare Bill, this article from Gary Gibbon lays out one of the political factors for Burnham – the order of candidates between him and Yvette. Gibbon writes:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Do CLP nominations predict members' votes?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,009
    Disagree, I actually think Kendall's preferences will favour Burnham marginally more than Cooper, especially after Cooper backer Helen Goodman criticised Kendall for being childless
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Disagree, I actually think Kendall's preferences will favour Burnham marginally more than Cooper, especially after Cooper backer Helen Goodman criticised Kendall for being childless

I wonder if that is the kind of thing that makes an ordinary Labour member who is a Kendall supporter positively support Andy Burnham. I don't think it is.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Who in their right minds could have thought of this complicated, unfathomable, drawn out and tortuous system for electing a leader? I don't understand it myself. Is this bureaucratic machine worthy of power?

FWIW- I'm voting Jezzer, but think Cooper will win in the end
  • Options
    tyson said:

Who in their right minds could have thought of this complicated, unfathomable, drawn out and tortuous system for electing a leader? I don't understand it myself. Is this bureaucratic machine worthy of power?

The linked article is overcomplicating matters. If Burnham is third on the second count, it means fewer people voted for him than Cooper or Corbyn (in a forced choice). If he is second, more people voted for him. There is no intricate tactics here really, you just try to get the voters to prefer you over other candidates, which is how all elections work surely?
  • Options
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:

I wonder if that is the kind of thing that makes an ordinary Labour member who is a Kendall supporter positively support Andy Burnham. I don't think it is.
    Coupled with Cooper also refusing to say Labour spent too much, unlike Burnham and the fact Kendall gets on better with Burnham than Cooper it is.

Cooper will be eliminated in round 2 in my view, the final will be Burnham v Corbyn which Burnham will, in the end, likely win
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    6/4 now. Good spot Henry.
  • Options
    Don't forget David Miliband won the members' vote in 2010, even on preferences
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited July 2015
    I was sure that Cooper had a better chance than Burnham to win the leadership contest at the beginning but now I'm not sure.
    Cooper unfortunately is as bland and stuck in the 2000's as Burnham is, and the lack of distinction is hurting her chances, she simply is looking like a female version of Burnham, and as Kendall is unacceptable to the Labour party then it is logical why so many are drifting towards Corbyn by default.

The tragedy of this leadership contest is that despite having double the number of candidates than the LD had, somehow the LD had a greater variety of candidates.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    *YAWN*. What we need now is a good, bracing thread on AV, just to get our pulse rates up a tad.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    John_M said:

*YAWN*. What we need now is a good, bracing thread on AV, just to get our pulse rates up a tad.

Paging TSE.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    FPT, Charles do you really believe that any land value tax would be in replacement of and not supplemental to other taxes? If so, you have greater faith in politicians and their desire to shower sweeties than I.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Burnham's decision not to vote against the Benefit changes will not help him win over the new Pure Left. Not voting with Harman will hurt him from the Blairite right. Bad call in many ways!

And if he wins, it is something that Osborne will remind him of for a long time.

Does he not want to win?
  • Options
    @HYUFD

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/32212254770/32212254991/32212254992/32212254994/32212254995/30064771087/e6c48f94-1380-45b6-80e4-dbaf5f5f78ad.pdf

"When Iowa Republicans are asked who they would support in their local caucus, Scott Walker is the first choice of 22% followed by Donald Trump at 13%. The next group of candidates includes Ben Carson (8%), Jeb Bush (7%), Ted Cruz (7%), the 2008 Iowa winner Mike Huckabee (6%), Marco Rubio (5%), Rand Paul (5%), and Bobby Jindal (4%). Rick Santorum (3%) – who won the Iowa caucuses in 2012 – Rick Perry (3%), and Carly Fiorina (3%) are tied for 10th place. The rest of the field garners no more than 2% of the vote as a first choice, including John Kasich (2%), Chris Christie (1%), GeorgePataki (<1%), Lindsey Graham (0%), and Jim Gilmore (0%). Another 11% of likely caucusgoers are undecided. "

Jeb Bush joint 4th in Iowa, Rubio joint 7th.
    Key theme is as with the national polls Trump is up, Bush & Rubio down.

My trading bet recommendation is still paying off, the GOP debates will be the greatest comedy show on the planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JFXSnfb5fw
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    matt said:

FPT, Charles do you really believe that any land value tax would be in replacement of and not supplemental to other taxes? If so, you have greater faith in politicians and their desire to shower sweeties than I.

If the Tories could introduce it, then yes it could be.

If Labour introduces it then it won't be.

Which is one of the reasons why I favour the Tories introducing it!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    tyson said:

Snap
  • Options

Burnham's decision not to vote against the Benefit changes will not help him win over the new Pure Left. Not voting with Harman will hurt him from the Blairite right. Bad call in many ways!

And if he wins, it is something that Osborne will remind him of for a long time.

Does he not want to win?

No, a sensible decision in my view, the pure left will all be voting for Corbyn and he is likely to be Burnham's opponent in the final round so he will not get any of his preferences.

The fact that he is voting for Labour's amendments then abstaining on the final vote means the Tories cannot say he was not unwilling to accept some welfare cuts but that he had set out the alternative cuts he would have accepted
  • Options

Does he not want to win?

The dilemmas of Burnham:

1.Is the Benefit Changes bill popular as a whole?
    2.Is the Benefit Changes bill popular in the Labour party?
    3.Is indecision popular with anyone?
    4.Is opposing for the wrong reasons popular?
    5.Is supporting for the wrong reasons popular?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

tyson said:

Snap
    Could you put Cooper as 2nd pref pls ?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited July 2015
    On the day Cameron makes a big speech questioning the roots of Islamic extremism the BBC airs a documentary on the Jerusalem train, showing how the Israelis unrepentantly treat Palestinians like rats.

You have to wonder at the mentality of treating people like that and then wondering why they grow up to frigging despise you! Bonkers.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

@HYUFD

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/32212254770/32212254991/32212254992/32212254994/32212254995/30064771087/e6c48f94-1380-45b6-80e4-dbaf5f5f78ad.pdf

"When Iowa Republicans are asked who they would support in their local caucus, Scott Walker is the first choice of 22% followed by Donald Trump at 13%. The next group of candidates includes Ben Carson (8%), Jeb Bush (7%), Ted Cruz (7%), the 2008 Iowa winner Mike Huckabee (6%), Marco Rubio (5%), Rand Paul (5%), and Bobby Jindal (4%). Rick Santorum (3%) – who won the Iowa caucuses in 2012 – Rick Perry (3%), and Carly Fiorina (3%) are tied for 10th place. The rest of the field garners no more than 2% of the vote as a first choice, including John Kasich (2%), Chris Christie (1%), GeorgePataki (<1%), Lindsey Graham (0%), and Jim Gilmore (0%). Another 11% of likely caucusgoers are undecided. "

Jeb Bush joint 4th in Iowa, Rubio joint 7th.
    Key theme is as with the national polls Trump is up, Bush & Rubio down.

My trading bet recommendation is still paying off, the GOP debates will be the greatest comedy show on the planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JFXSnfb5fw</p&gt;

Indeed, but I still think Paul could win Iowa, as Santorum and Huckabee and Obama showed it responds well to retail politics and those who put in the hard work
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited July 2015
    John_M said:

http://makeameme.org/media/created/what-if-i-ewgmao.jpg
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Freggles said:

John_M said:

*AV intensifies*
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    On a forced choice I think Cooper would beat Burnham. But if she can't overhaul Corbyn with Kendall transfers then that will gift it to Burnham in the final ballot.
  • Options
    When does voting close?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    Fenster said:

On the day Cameron makes a big speech questioning the roots of Islamic extremism the BBC airs a documentary on the Jerusalem train, showing how the Israelis unrepentantly treat Palestinians like rats.

You have to wonder at the mentality of treating people like that and then wondering why they grow up to frigging despise you! Bonkers.

He doesn't wonder why. This whole 'anti-extremism' campaign is using the issue of Islamic (or more correctly Wahhabi Islamic) crime in order to introduce a raft of anti-liberal legislation aimed at clamping down on peaceful non-Muslim dissent. Cameron has said as much on more than one occasion. See also Snooper's charter etc. etc.

A similar pattern is being played out in the Middle East - whilst the US (and apparently ourselves too expressly against the wishes of parliament) is taking swipes at ISIS from the air, nothing has been done disrupt their supplies of weapons, money, food, or personnel. Because we want to get rid of Assad and re-form what was Syria (one of the few half civilised countries in the region) into a balkanised Saudi satellite. The propaganda about how ghastly Assad was didn't work, so now its ISIS we're supposedly wanting to bomb in Syria.

Islamic terror has been used to push through unpopular decisions and accrue unnecessary state power again, and again, and again.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Fenster said:

He doesn't wonder why. This whole 'anti-extremism' campaign is using the issue of Islamic (or more correctly Wahhabi Islamic) crime in order to introduce a raft of anti-liberal legislation aimed at clamping down on peaceful non-Muslim dissent. Cameron has said as much on more than one occasion. See also Snooper's charter etc. etc.

A similar pattern is being played out in the Middle East - whilst the US (and apparently ourselves too expressly against the wishes of parliament) is taking swipes at ISIS from the air, nothing has been done disrupt their supplies of weapons, money, food, or personnel. Because we want to get rid of Assad and re-form what was Syria (one of the few half civilised countries in the region) into a balkanised Saudi satellite. The propaganda about how ghastly Assad was didn't work, so now its ISIS we're supposedly wanting to bomb in Syria.

Islamic terror has been used to push through unpopular decisions and accrue unnecessary state power again, and again, and again.
    Your comments of course are pure speculation from your imagination.

• Options
    Freggles said:

When does voting close?

It hasn't even opened yet!
  • Options

On a forced choice I think Cooper would beat Burnham. But if she can't overhaul Corbyn with Kendall transfers then that will gift it to Burnham in the final ballot.

She was on 27% to Kendall's 4% and Burnham's 39% and Corbyn's 33% in that leaked poll which would suggest she will go out in round 2
  • Options

Freggles said:

When does voting close?

So I can wait till payday to throw my £3 in the ring then...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

When does voting close?

Deadline for registering isn't until Aug 12th I think

Edit - just checked, noon on the 12th
  • Options
    EPG said:

tyson said:

The linked article is overcomplicating matters. If Burnham is third on the second count, it means fewer people voted for him than Cooper or Corbyn (in a forced choice). If he is second, more people voted for him. There is no intricate tactics here really, you just try to get the voters to prefer you over other candidates, which is how all elections work surely?
    EPG- I really don't want to be rude. I once tried to explain what a "googly" was to my Italian wife- so I get complicated things if I have to. She never understood the concept though.

But your explanation "if A comes 3rd on a 2nd count it means that fewer people voted for A." I mean...mind boggingly confusing. In one sentence you have thirds, seconds, fewer- all frazzling my brain cells.

As said, very confusing, but thank you for your attempt to help out (in vain)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    perdix said:

Fenster said:

Your comments of course are pure speculation from your imagination.

Which part is my imagination?
  • Options

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

When does voting close?

Thanks for the info, I will be signing up again.
    3 quid is a bargain for the fun that can be had.
    Going for
    1. Kendall
    2. Corbyn
    3. Cooper
    4. Burnham

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

When does voting close?

Going for
    1. Kendall
    2. Corbyn
    3. Cooper
    4. Burnham

I have:

Kendall
    Corbyn
    Burnham
    Cooper

Worth £3!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

When does voting close?

Going for
    1. Kendall
    2. Corbyn
    3. Cooper
    4. Burnham

I reckon that the number of Kendall >> Corbyn and vice versa transfers will give us a pretty good idea of the number of non-Labour "supporters" who have paid their £3!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Snap
    Listen Pulps- I've got money too on Cooper because I expect her to win. I don't think to date I have lost money on a political event, and this goes back a long, long time. I might hedge a bit, but I don't think I've ever lost on the outcome.

Sports- another matter entirely. Today- I threw a tenner on Dustin Johnson- I got half the name right mind. Zachariah- god bless the boy from Iowa. It makes me feel much less hedonistic to think our almighty Lord joined me and indulged in a spot of self indulgent pleasure today to spend a thrilling afternoon rooting for the golf. At least he (GOD) has the power to get his man, Zachariah, to win.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    John_M said:

This is a thread about AV.

But ICYMI

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/07/01/how-the-alternative-vote-system-could-stop-burnham-becoming-labour-leader/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

When does voting close?

Going for
    1. Kendall
    2. Corbyn
    3. Cooper
    4. Burnham

Will you be nominating Abbott for the mayoralty ;D ?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

When does voting close?

Going for
    1. Kendall
    2. Corbyn
    3. Cooper
    4. Burnham

I reckon that the number of Kendall >> Corbyn and vice versa transfers will give us a pretty good idea of the number of non-Labour "supporters" who have paid their £3!
    I would genuinely like a Kendallite Labour party, but if it is not so then Corbyn will help the LD revival very nicely! The others are just making up the numbers.
  • Options
    I think I may have a punt too now, if it is only £3. I would be voting

1.Burnham
    2. Kendall
    3.Cooper
    4. Corbyn
  • Options
    At this rate, I'm going to be the only PBer not voting in the Labour leadership election
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    tyson said:

EPG said:

tyson said:

EPG- I really don't want to be rude. I once tried to explain what a "googly" was to my Italian wife- so I get complicated things if I have to. She never understood the concept though.

But your explanation "if A comes 3rd on a 2nd count it means that fewer people voted for A." I mean...mind boggingly confusing. In one sentence you have thirds, seconds, fewer- all frazzling my brain cells.

If you want it in a sentence:

Everyone ranks the candidates, then in each round you get rid of the bottom candidate and move their votes on to the next choice.

But you're in good company tyson, no less a person than David Cameron is on record as saying he didn't understand it, and he wouldn't lie about that I'd hope.
  • Options

At this rate, I'm going to be the only PBer not voting in the Labour leadership election

Don't miss out on the fun!
  • Options
    There done, it is £3.88 a month, though you can cancel the Direct Debit
  • Options
    tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Snap
    Listen Pulps- I've got money too on Cooper because I expect her to win. I don't think to date I have lost money on a political event, and this goes back a long, long time. I might hedge a bit, but I don't think I've ever lost on the outcome.

Sports- another matter entirely. Today- I threw a tenner on Dustin Johnson- I got half the name right mind. Zachariah- god bless the boy from Iowa. It makes me feel much less hedonistic to think our almighty Lord joined me and indulged in a spot of self indulgent pleasure today to spend a thrilling afternoon rooting for the golf. At least he (GOD) has the power to get his man, Zachariah, to win.
    Perhaps he was attracted by how often references to his (and/or his son's) name are fervently made on golf courses.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    corporeal said:

Everyone ranks the candidates, then in each round you get rid of the bottom candidate and move their votes on to the next choice.

...unless their next choice candidate has been eliminated. If all of their candidate choices have been eliminated, their vote is "invalid" and is not counted

Which is why candidates can win with less than 50% of the votes cast, and the system is possibly the worst ever devised by mankind for the purposes of election.

[ducks]
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    tyson said:

EPG said:

tyson said:

Ahh! If the explanation makes no sense, it is surely the fault of the explainer rather than the listener.

As in any system with one winner - Coming third is a bad thing!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

corporeal said:

...unless their next choice candidate has been eliminated. If all of their candidate choices have been eliminated, their vote is "invalid" and is not counted

Which is why candidates can win with less than 50% of the votes cast, and the system is possibly the worst ever devised by mankind for the purposes of election.

[ducks]
    The Tories elect their leader, which some describe as a form of AV.

If it is good enough for the Tories and Labour, it should be good enough for the country.
  • Options

Indeed, I have never voted Labour in my life but I will be voting in the Labour leadership election!
  • Options

Only people who don't know what they are talking about.

The Tory leadership election is FPTP, winner takes all. Cameron beat Davis, there was no mucking about with preferences.
  • Options

I'm sticking to my line, I'd be narked if Labour supporters tried to sabotage a Tory leadership election.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

corporeal said:

[ducks]
    If their next choice candidate is eliminated you move them on to the next choice. If they have no choices it means they no longer care between the candidates.

With FPTP people tactically vote by trying to work out which candidates can't win and guess how they should change their vote accordingly, AV just takes removes that guesswork.

As voting systems go it's far less complicated than many.

• Options

I'm sticking to my line, I'd be narked if Labour supporters tried to sabotage a Tory leadership election.
    Well Labour makes the rules so if they want only long-standing members to vote they should have changed them, though it does mean I will have voted in the 2005 Tory and 2015 Labour leadership elections
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Tory leadership election is FPTP, winner takes all. Cameron beat Davis, there was no mucking about with preferences.
    No you're wrong.

The Tory contest is not FPTP, (in the first round with four candidates Davis won, although that may have been different if they had been actually using FPTP).

• Options
    Scott_P said:

David Davis won the first round. So not FPTP
  • Options
    corporeal said:

As voting systems go it's far less complicated than many.

It's not complicated, just very, very crap.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

No you're wrong.

The Tory contest is not FPTP, (in the first round with four candidates Davis won, although that may have been different if they had been actually using FPTP).

The election is FPTP.

The candidate selection may use some obscure system nobody cares about...
  • Options

See previous response...
  • Options
    Vote on the welfare bill

@paulwaugh: Labour rebellion was 48, I'm told
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: So 20% of the Parliamentary Labour Party (48 MPs) voted against the party whip on the Tory welfare bill. That's quite some defiance.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

What are your thoughts on open primaries?

I'm torn between "democratic" and "vulnerable". Though the US experience (where candidates try to appeal to their party wingnuts before calming down to appeal to the wider electorate if they actually get selected) is not very appealing, even on the "democratic" front. And there is the argument that at least in the Tory party, they may make it harder to get a broad slate of BAME/women candidates, though I have no idea how true that is.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

That's full membership, it's just a one off payment of £3 to be a 'supporter' able to vote in the leadership election.
    You are a card carrying labourite now!

I just did it myself, gonna vote Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

I'm torn between "democratic" and "vulnerable". Though the US experience (where candidates try to appeal to their party wingnuts before calming down to appeal to the wider electorate if they actually get selected) is not very appealing, even on the "democratic" front. And there is the argument that at least in the Tory party, they may make it harder to get a broad slate of BAME/women candidates, though I have no idea how true that is.
    Open primaries are fine, the party is asking for non party people to participate.

Labour say they only want people who share Labour values/Labour's best interests at heart to partake in this leadership election, and that's not unreasonable
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

When does voting close?

Going for
    1. Kendall
    2. Corbyn
    3. Cooper
    4. Burnham

Will you be nominating Abbott for the mayoralty ;D ?
    Don't you have to be in a London CLP for that?
    If not, defo Diane.
    She was my 1st choice for the leadership last time.
    My view was shared with a rocking 10 other members of Hertsmere CLP

• Options
    Scott_P said:

See previous response...
    My next long stint as Guest editor, I will do lots of threads on AV, so I can help educate you on matters of AV.

Everyone, you can thank ScottP for this.
  • Options

Could I vote for Labour again? Or even rejoin the party rather than be a registered supporter? Quite possibly, but only under a new generation.

I did not lie when registering as a supporter.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,945
    Speedy said:

Does he not want to win?

The dilemmas of Burnham:

1.Is the Benefit Changes bill popular as a whole?
    2.Is the Benefit Changes bill popular in the Labour party?
    3.Is indecision popular with anyone?
    4.Is opposing for the wrong reasons popular?
    5.Is supporting for the wrong reasons popular?
    Being a weather-vane politician can be tough, eh?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

corporeal said:

No you're wrong.

The election is FPTP.

1. I don't think the Conservative party agrees with you.

2. That would be a spectacular bit of sophistry.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,945
    HYUFD said:

1.Burnham
    2. Kendall
    3.Cooper
    4. Corbyn

Really? All these pro-Burnham posts for weeks, and you were not even signed up?!

• Options

Open primaries are fine, the party is asking for non party people to participate.

Labour say they only want people who share Labour values/Labour's best interests at heart to partake in this leadership election, and that's not unreasonable
    What I dislike about the American system is the way the parties are built into the system.

In Britain parties endorse candidates essentially however they like, their endorsement is separate to the process of people standing for election.

In the US the big two party selection processes are built into the electoral system itself, which is something I dislike on principle (which means that unlike the UK where you get smaller parties existing, in the US you get sub-parties floating around but being kept within the umbrella of the larger parties).
  • Options

Scott_P said:

See previous response...
    My next long stint as Guest editor, I will do lots of threads on AV, so I can help educate you on matters of AV.

About time too TSE. I've been wondering a lot about AV and quite how it works

• Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

1.Burnham
    2. Kendall
    3.Cooper
    4. Corbyn

Really? All these pro-Burnham posts for weeks, and you were not even signed up?!

Have now, though may swap 2 and 3 but will decide at the time
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Scott_P said:

corporeal said:

No you're wrong.

The election is FPTP.

1. I don't think the Conservative party agrees with you.

2. That would be a spectacular bit of sophistry.
    Having gone had a browse, the Conservative party constitution does seem to engage in that spectacular bit of sophistry, which the party then undermines by being inconsistent about how it refers to them generally.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

See previous response...

About time too TSE. I've been wondering a lot about AV and quite how it works

I still have all my paragraphps stored up about how FPTP wasn't the original form of uk voting system (only became the uniform system in 1945!) and how it was generally agreed to get rid of it but there was difficulty deciding in what replacing it with, or how it was going to be replaced but then the government changed and it got kicked into the long grass).
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    A tourist arrives at Athens airport. A Customs Officer says ."Name? ''
    Reply :'Angela Merkel '
    Customs Officer:"Nationality? "
    Reply :"German "
    Customs Officer :"Occupation? "
    Reply :"No..Only visting"
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

That's full membership, it's just a one off payment of £3 to be a 'supporter' able to vote in the leadership election.
    You are a card carrying labourite now!

I just did it myself, gonna vote Corbyn.
    The 'registered supporter' option is actually quite well hidden, only one small line under the 'leadership election' section.
  • Options
    Times say Sadiq Khan rebelled on the Welfare bill
  • Options

Could I vote for Labour again? Or even rejoin the party rather than be a registered supporter? Quite possibly, but only under a new generation.

I feel much the same. I think this is a fair enough reason to participate in the elections. Even HYUFD is voting to express genuine preferences rather than to sabotage things, even if he isn't a natural Labour man, and I think that's fair enough too even if it goes against the spirit somewhat.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @HYUFD

Not even a few hours later and:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-gains-shows-vulnerability-crowded-contentious-gop-race/story?id=32576808

Trump 24%
    Walker 13%
    Bush 12%
    Huckabee 8%
    Rubio 7%
    Paul 6%

Trump's 24% and 11% lead are the highest in the 2016 GOP race so far for any candidate.
    Last time anyone has seen such numbers for a GOP frontrunner it was Romney in April 2012.
  • Options
    It looks like theoretically tonight had the Labour party opposed the bill it would not have passed as only had 308 in favour.

Now I understand more Tories would have turned up had that been the case however the numbers are what they are.

The fact that Bunrham was complicit in that will really not play well for him, I think a lot of his would be supporters feel betrayed now.
  • Options

I feel much the same. I think this is a fair enough reason to participate in the elections. Even HYUFD is voting to express genuine preferences rather than to sabotage things, even if he isn't a natural Labour man, and I think that's fair enough too even if it goes against the spirit somewhat.
    Indeed, I am will put Corbyn last so will not sabotage
  • Options

It looks like theoretically tonight had the Labour party opposed the bill it would not have passed as only had 308 in favour.

Now I understand more Tories would have turned up had that been the case however the numbers are what they are.

The fact that Bunrham was complicit in that will really not play well for him, I think a lot of his would be supporters feel betrayed now.

Those who may feel 'betrayed' will already have switched to Corbyn anyway
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2015
    FFS...R5 have got another one of the extremists from CAGE on and letting him spread his poison basically unchallenged. Phil Williams normally does a reasonable job of holding people to account, but he is literally silent as he lets the guy ramble on. He would never ever let a politician talk for minutes on end without interrupting / asking a question.

BBC balance does not mean giving a platform to extremist voices, and certainly not an unchallenged platform.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

@HYUFD

Not even a few hours later and:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-gains-shows-vulnerability-crowded-contentious-gop-race/story?id=32576808

Trump 24%
    Walker 13%
    Bush 12%
    Huckabee 8%
    Rubio 7%
    Paul 6%

Trump's 24% and 11% lead are the highest in the 2016 GOP race so far for any candidate.
    Last time anyone has seen such numbers for a GOP frontrunner it was Romney in April 2012.

Yes, not impossible Walker wins Iowa and Trump NH and they fight it out, but I think this is peak Trump, he polled highly in summer 2011 too
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The glorious 48:

http://labourlist.org/2015/07/48-mps-break-whip-to-vote-against-welfare-bill-full-list/

(Seems more like the usual suspects, but make of it what you will)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Have to admire their chutzpah:

On a point of order, Pete Wishart asks if the Commons seating arrangements can be changed to show that the SNP is now the official opposition.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/jul/20/reaction-to-camerons-speech-on-tackling-extremism-politics-live
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Zeichner from Cambridge voted for more fags n beer for the feckless - shame on him.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    From the same poll, Trump helps Hillary

“In a general election trial heat, Clinton leads Bush, the GOP fundraising leader, by
    a slight 50-44 percent among registered voters. But with Trump as an independent candidate that
    goes to 46-30-20 percent, Clinton-Bush-Trump – with Trump drawing support disproportionately from Bush, turning a 6-point Clinton advantage into 16 points.”
    http://www.langerresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/1170a22016Politics.pdf
  • Options

Remember when some thought he had a chance of becoming Mayor of London ? Lolza.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

Indeed, I am will put Corbyn last so will not sabotage
    Very principled. Your preferred order is near-enough the reverse of mine! But I don't think that vote-swapping so neither of us need to bother actually works in AV elections...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2015
    TGOHF said:

Remember when some thought he had a chance of becoming Mayor of London ? Lolza.
    I notice his mate, I mean constituent, Babar Ahmad has been released from prison in the US and returned to the UK. Wonder if they will having a good old chin wag about their childhood memories like they used to?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Broxtowe CLP nomination meeting

Corbyn 43 votes
    Burnham 15
    Cooper 6
    Kendall 2

Cooper and Kendall didn't have a rep present at the meeting advocating their case
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited July 2015
    Cameron's speech on terrorism and Islam etc... Very good I think.

Cameron's really impressing me at the moment (and as you may have observed I'm not that easy to impress)

Seem's Richard Nabavi has been right about Cam all along!!!!
  • Options
    Oh dear he twists and turns and obfusticates

@andyburnhammp: To clarify - I will be voting to oppose the Welfare Reform Bill tonight by voting for a Labour motion which I helped secure.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited July 2015

Broxtowe CLP nomination meeting

Corbyn 43 votes
    Burnham 15
    Cooper 6
    Kendall 2

Cooper and Kendall didn't have a rep present at the meeting advocating their case

Wonder how Dr Nick voted? :smiley:

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    First post since the election:

AV is a great system, because it is almost impossible to "game." I'm really enjoying this Labour leadership contest. I hope Corbyn beats the androids...

@corporeal. The UK system became uniform in 1950, not 1945, with the abolition of the STV (University) seats and the last few double-members.

@Scott_P Any election with just two candidates is necessarily FPTP, including the final round of an AV election. The Tories have an AV election. The twist is the electorate changes for the final round...
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Around 18 of the new intake (plus Butler) among the 48