Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Keiran Pedley says Tessa Jowell looks set to become LAB’s

13»

Comments

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited July 2015
    Mhairi Black really ripped Labour a brand new orifice in her maiden speech.

http://www.channel4.com/news/mhairi-black-only-20-year-old-in-uk-helped-with-housing

Only maiden speech I've seen trend on twitter.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,506
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Tbh I don't really understand why the Tories didn't go ahead with the vote tonight.

Why lose a vote today if you can win it later?

They already got the win from the SNP they were aiming for
    Because if they had any sense they would not want to win it. And I suspect enough Tories feel that way to make a win far from assured even without those who had no legitimate interest in voting.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    isam said:

"Ofsted chief Sir Michael Wilshaw has warned of "potentially high numbers of pupils" disappearing from school registers in Birmingham and Tower Hamlets in east London.

Sir Michael said this "serious safeguarding issue" emerged as inspectors made follow-up visits after the so-called Trojan Horse inquiries.

The chief inspector said it was unclear where some pupils had gone next.

The Department for Education said it would take "immediate steps"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33520643

Immediate steps towards the filing cabinet marked "to shred"?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

Good evening, everyone.

So... what's the state of play with Greece, then? IMF saying the figures are fictional, us and the Germans don't want the bridging loan, the Greeks run out of money tomorrow, yes?

You know the other day the papers were full of how a deal had been cobbled together at the last minute? Well, that deal wasn't really a deal or at least not one that actually addressed the problems.

Each time the Eurozone try and kick the can down the road the period between the "deal" being announced and it falling apart gets shorter. The first attempt lasted for a couple of years before it became blindingly obvious even to the Eurozone fanatics that it wasn't going to work. This latest one has lasted less than a couple of days. Maybe the next will be declared hopelessly flawed before it has even been signed.
    Mr L I see we are thinking along similar lines, just GIVE the Greeks the money. Does anyone seriously imagine the loan will ever be repaid ?

Then invite the rest of Europe to match us.

Schauble's head might just explode at this point, making the £850m value for money.
    We could give them some money to help with bridging but their debts are well beyond our capacity to help with.

There is going to have to be a massive write down of the debt, not the pretendy one there was a couple of years ago. To put it into perspective a 30% reduction, like the IMF is talking about, will roughly get the debt/GDP ratio back to what it was then. And it has been demonstrated already that that was no use at all.
    But surely, not a write-down up front. After promises, promises, keep coming to nothing, it's time to regard the possibility of a write-down as something to be 'earned' by an attempt to keep the promises?
    In effect that is what the Germans have suggested, by an interest free period and extending bond maturity dates provided the Greek structural reforms go ahead as discussed.
    The Greeks are still on the hook for the debt, though. I had understood that the Germans had explicitly stated that there would no write-down of the principal.

It's all a bit academic, frankly, because those loans will never be paid off. The only real issues are (a) when the EU accepts this; and (b) whether the Greek economy can be reformed in such a way that it has a chance to grow in future.

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    DavidL said:

Tbh I don't really understand why the Tories didn't go ahead with the vote tonight. So it might have been lost. Who cares? It would have been better to have this nonsense out of the way and the SNP nowhere else to hide.

Cameron clearly doesn't care or there would have been a vote in the last Parliament.

Having decided that the Tories had a free vote, it does seem a bit odd as to why Cameron backed down. The main losers today seem to be the LibDems and UKIP, who have both disappeared into the ether for now.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    DavidL said:

Tbh I don't really understand why the Tories didn't go ahead with the vote tonight. So it might have been lost. Who cares? It would have been better to have this nonsense out of the way and the SNP nowhere else to hide.

Cameron clearly doesn't care or there would have been a vote in the last Parliament.

It was clearly a "gotcha" for the SNP. It couldn't have been more blatant. The bill even aligned England and Wales hunting laws with Scots laws and the Tory "splits" were manufactured from day one to coax this reaction from the SNP. Days before the weaker EVEL vote was withdrawn for consultation and now it will be back in September and the Tories have all the justification they need to make them significantly tougher.

That the SNP didn't see it coming shows how amateurish they are against a real political party. They had an easy time against SLAB and today it showed. This was a trap with a signpost above it saying "trap" and the SNP still walked right into it.
  • Options
    Dair said:

http://www.channel4.com/news/mhairi-black-only-20-year-old-in-uk-helped-with-housing

That woman has a lot of potential, no doubt about it. I just wonder if she will get bored getting all this so young. Didn't do Charlie a lot of good ultimately. She would be better in Edinburgh where her obvious talent could be recognised with office.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    DavidL said:

Dair said:

That woman has a lot of potential, no doubt about it. I just wonder if she will get bored getting all this so young. Didn't do Charlie a lot of good ultimately. She would be better in Edinburgh where her obvious talent could be recognised with office.
    It was a powerful speech, so powerful she missed the point a majority of Scots back the benefits cap! Not 1 mention of the Living Wage either
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ICM Scotland crossbreak came up with SNP 42 Lab 34 Con 21 LD 1 Others 3
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dair said:

I expect she will be there by 2021. Hopefully because it's the only choice available :)

The media were so blinded by her age they never noticed the most telling part about it. She graduated from a four year Honours Degree at 20 - two years ahead of the curve. Not sure how she's managed that, didn't know you could skip ahead years at UK schools or that you could skip a year of your degree off the back of just Highers, has to have done at least one of those.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Cyclefree said:

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

Good evening, everyone.

So... what's the state of play with Greece, then? IMF saying the figures are fictional, us and the Germans don't want the bridging loan, the Greeks run out of money tomorrow, yes?

You know the other day the papers were full of how a deal had been cobbled together at the last minute? Well, that deal wasn't really a deal or at least not one that actually addressed the problems.

Mr L I see we are thinking along similar lines, just GIVE the Greeks the money. Does anyone seriously imagine the loan will ever be repaid ?

Then invite the rest of Europe to match us.

Schauble's head might just explode at this point, making the £850m value for money.
    We could give them some money to help with bridging but their debts are well beyond our capacity to help with.

There is going to have to be a massive write down of the debt, not the pretendy one there was a couple of years ago. To put it into perspective a 30% reduction, like the IMF is talking about, will roughly get the debt/GDP ratio back to what it was then. And it has been demonstrated already that that was no use at all.
    But surely, not a write-down up front. After promises, promises, keep coming to nothing, it's time to regard the possibility of a write-down as something to be 'earned' by an attempt to keep the promises?
    In effect that is what the Germans have suggested, by an interest free period and extending bond maturity dates provided the Greek structural reforms go ahead as discussed.
    The Greeks are still on the hook for the debt, though. I had understood that the Germans had explicitly stated that there would no write-down of the principal.

It's all a bit academic, frankly, because those loans will never be paid off. The only real issues are (a) when the EU accepts this; and (b) whether the Greek economy can be reformed in such a way that it has a chance to grow in future.

I believe under the existing rules the debt cannot be written off, but extending the debt with maturity dates and an interest holiday has much the same effect in practice.

A smart government in Greece (and the other med countries) would see the opportunity to grab all the tourists who will no longer be going to Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco and even Turkey. Greece has plenty of entrepeneurs that can grow them out of this mess, but that does not fit Syrizias agenda.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

New Monmouth University National 2016 GOP poll

Bush – 15% (9)
    Trump – 13% (2)
    Cruz – 9% (5)
    Huckabee – 7% (8)
    Walker– 7% (10)
    Carson – 6% (11)
    Paul – 6% (6)
    Rubio – 6% (9)
    Christie – 2% (4)
    Jindal – 2% (1)
    Perry – 2% (4)
    Santorum – 2% (3)
    Fiorina – 1% (2)
    Kasich – 1% (1)
    Graham – * (2)
    Pataki – * (*)
    Undecided – 18% (20)
    http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Donald-Trump-surge-polls-tea-party/2015/07/13/id/654791/

That's a lot people within, I would assume, the margin of error. A bit embarrassing to those who won't even get to the debates if the average of polls is similar
    Indeed, based on this poll, only the top 10 make the cut so Christie and below are touch and go and Fiorina and below certainly will miss it
    Disappointing to see Jindal on only 2% whilst the likes of Cruz and Rubio are happy to flood the US jobs market with hundreds of thousands of H1B visa holders. This is whilst big IT companies such as IBM and Microsoft are laying off tens of thousands of employees each.
    Well you will be pleased to see Trump in second then given his recent anti immigration rhetoric
    Not quite sure how you can draw that conclusion.

Being opposed to the abuse of H1B visas = In favour of Trump and his opposition to illegal immigration from Mexico. Two very very different things.
    Trump has not exactly been effusive in his praise of China and India either!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Dair said:

It was a powerful speech, so powerful she missed the point a majority of Scots back the benefits cap! Not 1 mention of the Living Wage either
    You really don't get subtlety do you.

While I'm sure her preamble about the cuts were heart felt, the political capital was not in talking about those cuts, it was about using them as the start a devastating polemic on the Labour movement's complete irrelevance and total failure.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    New Greek poll (source: Guardian blog quoting Kapa Research) shows people evenly divided over who was to blame for the "tough measures" - 48% say Europe, 44% say Greeks. A huge majority wants to approve the deal (70-25) but almost as many want Tsipras to lead any coalition (68-22). The anecdotal reports that people are gritting their teeth and accepting it seem to be correct, and Tsipras for all his faults is seen to be someone who fights Greece's corner even when he's overwhelmed in the end. In the circumstances, quite mature responses - if Britain was being knocked around by Europe in that way, would we be as level-headed?
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Labour leadership frontrunner Andy Burnham has vowed to 'mobilise' protests against Tory plans to make it harder for trade unions to call strikes.

Mr Burnham said the Government's proposals were part of a 'campaign of demonisation' against unions and pledged to personally lead a campaign against them if he is elected Labour leader.

It comes as ministers prepare to unveil proposals tomorrow which would force unions to achieve a turnout in strike ballots of at least 50 per cent for staging a walkout.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3161143/Labour-leadership-frontrunner-Andy-Burnham-vows-mobilise-street-campaigns-against-Tory-strike-clampdown.html#ixzz3ft9BGs7z
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    At the way labour are going they may end up with fewer seats than the lib dems!!
    Farron will be a pretty leftwing leader of the LDs, while Burnham has said he will oppose the plans in the Commons he is not quite as 'rabble rousing' as the Mail points out
    Farron is an extremely good constituency MP , he is very popular locally, and he works hard at it, in an area that was Con, and is a natural con area.
    I think in this case the constituents vote for the man, not the party , or the politics.
    I do not think the local appeal will necessarily translate across to a national leader.
    Meanwhile across the border Morecambe and Lunesdale, Lennox Boyd was OK, but got swept away in the labour landslide, Geraldine Smith got swept in, did her best, and got chucked out in 2010, David Morris is a no body,got re elected, actually with an increase, but does not have anything like the local prescence of Farron.
    Farron will win, but may cost him locally.

Indeed, but accept he will retain his seat, if he won it in 2015 he has it for life!
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    For railway fans @JosiasJessop @Sunil_Prasannan
    The only known historical atlas to the UK's railways is now available to buy - for the first time in ten years.

A unique, hand-traced item, the luxury history book, called The Railways of Great Britain: A Historical Atlas, contains 646 pages of maps, chronicling all train lines in operation from 1807 to 1994.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3161212/The-incredible-hand-traced-atlas-Britain-s-railways-1807-1994-took-18-YEARS-complete.html#ixzz3ftbBhp9z
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Dair said:

You really don't get subtlety do you.

While I'm sure her preamble about the cuts were heart felt, the political capital was not in talking about those cuts, it was about using them as the start a devastating polemic on the Labour movement's complete irrelevance and total failure.
    Well good for her, although that ICM suggests at Westminster at least Labour doing a tad better in Scotland, but the average Scot is more rightwing on welfare than both Labour and the SNP may like to admit, even if a little left on the issue than rUK
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    HYUFD said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Labour leadership frontrunner Andy Burnham has vowed to 'mobilise' protests against Tory plans to make it harder for trade unions to call strikes.

Mr Burnham said the Government's proposals were part of a 'campaign of demonisation' against unions and pledged to personally lead a campaign against them if he is elected Labour leader.

It comes as ministers prepare to unveil proposals tomorrow which would force unions to achieve a turnout in strike ballots of at least 50 per cent for staging a walkout.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3161143/Labour-leadership-frontrunner-Andy-Burnham-vows-mobilise-street-campaigns-against-Tory-strike-clampdown.html#ixzz3ft9BGs7z
    At the way labour are going they may end up with fewer seats than the lib dems!!
    Farron will be a pretty leftwing leader of the LDs, while Burnham has said he will oppose the plans in the Commons he is not quite as 'rabble rousing' as the Mail points out
    Farron is an extremely good constituency MP , he is very popular locally, and he works hard at it, in an area that was Con, and is a natural con area.
    I think in this case the constituents vote for the man, not the party , or the politics.
    I do not think the local appeal will necessarily translate across to a national leader.
    Meanwhile across the border Morecambe and Lunesdale, Lennox Boyd was OK, but got swept away in the labour landslide, Geraldine Smith got swept in, did her best, and got chucked out in 2010, David Morris is a no body,got re elected, actually with an increase, but does not have anything like the local prescence of Farron.

Indeed, but accept he will retain his seat, if he won it in 2015 he has it for life!

With over 50% of the vote and an 18% majority.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmorland_and_Lonsdale_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

jayfdee said:

He may have it for life, but it might be a very lonely life

Tom Brake 1,068
    Alistair Carmichael 817
    Nick Clegg 2,353
    Tim Farron 8,949
    Norman Lamb 4,043
    Greg Mulholland 2,907
    John Pugh 1,322
    Mark Williams 2,088

At least two of those are dead men walking already. I guess Lamb should cling on, maybee Mulholland. The rest could be gone.
  • Options

New Greek poll (source: Guardian blog quoting Kapa Research) shows people evenly divided over who was to blame for the "tough measures" - 48% say Europe, 44% say Greeks. A huge majority wants to approve the deal (70-25) but almost as many want Tsipras to lead any coalition (68-22). The anecdotal reports that people are gritting their teeth and accepting it seem to be correct, and Tsipras for all his faults is seen to be someone who fights Greece's corner even when he's overwhelmed in the end. In the circumstances, quite mature responses - if Britain was being knocked around by Europe in that way, would we be as level-headed?

Well only the Greeks could vote for a revolution 1 week and then back everything Germany has demanded the next, I hope the Euro is worth it!
  • Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

Dair said:

I expect she will be there by 2021. Hopefully because it's the only choice available :)

The media were so blinded by her age they never noticed the most telling part about it. She graduated from a four year Honours Degree at 20 - two years ahead of the curve. Not sure how she's managed that, didn't know you could skip ahead years at UK schools or that you could skip a year of your degree off the back of just Highers, has to have done at least one of those.
    I graduated with an honours degree at 20 after 4 years. Left school at 16 after my Highers. Proves you don't need to be clever to do that.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Tbh I don't really understand why the Tories didn't go ahead with the vote tonight.

Why lose a vote today if you can win it later?

They already got the win from the SNP they were aiming for
    The Tories failed to get an unpopular measure through, backing down in the face of an SNP threat. What a great triumph.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

It is not level headed. It is idiotically naive. The Greeks still seem to believe that by staying in the Euro things must get better. And this despite all the evidence that they will not.

The deal has condemned Greece to decades more hardship with no end in sight as long as the EU refuses to accept a massive right down of the debt.

To use a Big Bang description, the Greeks are "attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis"
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,045
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

"Ofsted chief Sir Michael Wilshaw has warned of "potentially high numbers of pupils" disappearing from school registers in Birmingham and Tower Hamlets in east London.

Sir Michael said this "serious safeguarding issue" emerged as inspectors made follow-up visits after the so-called Trojan Horse inquiries.

The chief inspector said it was unclear where some pupils had gone next.

The Department for Education said it would take "immediate steps"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33520643

Immediate steps towards the filing cabinet marked "to shred"?
    Rotherham Stylee
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Well good for her, although that ICM suggests at Westminster at least Labour doing a tad better in Scotland, but the average Scot is more rightwing on welfare than both Labour and the SNP may like to admit, even if a little left on the issue than rUK

Your delusional straw clutching is providing great humour. Please don't stop posting.

I'm sure you can find another subsample to cling to after the next Scottish national poll puts the SNP maintaining its 50%+ position in both Westminster and Holyrood VI.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The Tories failed to get an unpopular measure through

They lost the vote?

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    HYUFD said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Yes agree, it is now a very safe seat, but when his politics are more to the front he may lose some popularity.
    I remember a large poster on the side of the M6 in North Cumbria, amidst the worst of foot and mouth, " Blair fiddles,whilst Cumbria burns", local issues can rapidly change ,local sentiments.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

They lost the vote?

Oh, wait...
    Which is the problem for all the Tory Ackbars.

Without the vote there is no trap.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Plato said:

The only known historical atlas to the UK's railways is now available to buy - for the first time in ten years.

A unique, hand-traced item, the luxury history book, called The Railways of Great Britain: A Historical Atlas, contains 646 pages of maps, chronicling all train lines in operation from 1807 to 1994.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3161212/The-incredible-hand-traced-atlas-Britain-s-railways-1807-1994-took-18-YEARS-complete.html#ixzz3ftbBhp9z
    Wow! Something for my Christmas list!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,045
    @AntiFrank must be selling up on this ghastly, illiberal news?

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/621039865539506176
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    justin124 said:

I think the pollsters are still on the naughty step, I'm working on a piece for one of the Scottish blogs which touches on the pollsters:

" The Knights of the Westminster Bubble (“KNOWBS”) are an ancient order, whose primary purpose is to ensure the continued dominance of the Palace of Westminster and is split into three divisions:

1st Division - the political commentators
    2nd Division - the Unionist MPs and party officials
    3rd Division – the pollsters.

The 3rd division has recently been suspended for the alleged capital crime of “herding” and all the good pollster Knights have been sent to the fairish city of Coventry, where they await trial by the BPC, which will be conducted inquisition style with hot pokers etc, to ensure truthful responses."

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

They lost the vote?

Oh, wait...
    Which is the problem for all the Tory Ackbars.

Without the vote there is no trap.
    Not sure, the SNP said they would vote against it. If the whole trap business is getting the SNP to vote against it, surely that is enough. I don't see much difference between saying you'll vote against something, and actually doing it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

With over 50% of the vote and an 18% majority.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmorland_and_Lonsdale_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

He must have the biggest LD majority by quite some distance
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

jayfdee said:

He may have it for life, but it might be a very lonely life

Tom Brake 1,068
    Alistair Carmichael 817
    Nick Clegg 2,353
    Tim Farron 8,949
    Norman Lamb 4,043
    Greg Mulholland 2,907
    John Pugh 1,322
    Mark Williams 2,088

At least two of those are dead men walking already. I guess Lamb should cling on, maybee Mulholland. The rest could be gone.
    Farron offers a clear shift left from Clegg, indeed on some issues he is arguably left of Salmond and Sturgeon, he is unlikely to return them to government but should build up their campaigning base again
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Plato said:

At £295 its not cheap, but probably not much more expensive than the stripogram plus his mum probably wouldn't object so much. So we could have a whip round to buy you know who a copy for his up-coming fortieth.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Lovely idea.

Plato said:

At £295 its not cheap, but probably not much more expensive than the stripogram plus his mum probably wouldn't object so much. So we could have a whip round to buy you know who a copy for his up-coming fortieth.

• Options

It is not level headed. It is idiotically naive. The Greeks still seem to believe that by staying in the Euro things must get better. And this despite all the evidence that they will not.

The deal has condemned Greece to decades more hardship with no end in sight as long as the EU refuses to accept a massive right down of the debt.

To use a Big Bang description, the Greeks are "attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis"
    You have to hand it to the Germans, they may not always play nice, but they do know how to completely wipe-out the opposition when they need to!
  • Options
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Your delusional straw clutching is providing great humour. Please don't stop posting.

I'm sure you can find another subsample to cling to after the next Scottish national poll puts the SNP maintaining its 50%+ position in both Westminster and Holyrood VI.
    We shall see, does not change the position on welfare though
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Yes agree, it is now a very safe seat, but when his politics are more to the front he may lose some popularity.
    I remember a large poster on the side of the M6 in North Cumbria, amidst the worst of foot and mouth, " Blair fiddles,whilst Cumbria burns", local issues can rapidly change ,local sentiments.

Fortunately for Farron, unlike Blair he has zero chance of being in No 10!
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

Wow! Something for my Christmas list!

It looks great, but it's not cheap.
    I make do with The "British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer" (Ian Allen, first pub 1976)
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    HYUFD said:

You have to hand it to the Germans, they may not always play nice, but they do know how to completely wipe-out the opposition when they need to!

Yes, like oradour-sur-glane for example.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    HYUFD said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Yes fortunately true. He can enjoy his time in the limelight of a national party in possible terminal decline, and still hold on locally, maybe he will be the" last man standing".

• Options
    Disraeli said:

HYUFD said:

Godwin's law
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

HYUFD said:

Only this time it was meekly accepted by the Greeks themselves!
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Yes fortunately true. He can enjoy his time in the limelight of a national party in possible terminal decline, and still hold on locally, maybe he will be the" last man standing".

Indeed
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Looks like the Greeks are already backsliding on the deal. They've added in funeral homes and home medical services into the lower VAT rate, and now are saying that Greece will not reverse the measures taken earlier in the year (cleaning lady re-employment, reopening of state TV etc...). I had thought reversing the latter was part of the conditions of the deal. The former seems to be designed to test what they can get away with on implementation.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    MTimT said:

Looks like the Greeks are already backsliding on the deal. They've added in funeral homes and home medical services into the lower VAT rate, and now are saying that Greece will not reverse the measures taken earlier in the year (cleaning lady re-employment, reopening of state TV etc...). I had thought reversing the latter was part of the conditions of the deal. The former seems to be designed to test what they can get away with on implementation.

Seems to me they have a quite different idea of the meaning of a 'deal' to all the others round the table. When they say a deal, they mean a starting point for concessions to be made to them, rather than a commitment to do what they agreed to do.