Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the LAB leadership race Osbo’s budget looks set to help

13»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    July
    August
    Sept
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec
    Jan
    Feb
    March

That's makes having another child before April 2016 a bit of a push!

TGOHF said:

I don't think aspiration has declined at all - benefits as a lifestyle choice is something that is very rare, and represents a minority. In any case, it goes back to the issue of structural, long-term unemployment, occurring in deprived areas. What has declined, is social mobility - the ability of people from working class backgrounds to do well for themselves, over the last couple of decades. That is a problem both related to the education system, and the way our economy works.

Did anyone see the mum on Sky news last night

"this might make people wanting bigger families think about whether they could afford them." (I paraphrase).

Suggests job done ?
    Absolutely! Best possible change that could have been made. My wife and I had our daughter last year and have discussed when we'd like to have our second and can we afford it. Don't claim a penny in "tax credits" etc but rather pay to the system. I fail to see why we should think about if we can afford more children but those who aren't working shouldn't make the same considerations. That is totally unfair.
    Not sure why Osbo gave people until April 2017, unless he is trying to engineer some sort of baby boom.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Literally?
    Plato said:

July
    August
    Sept
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec
    Jan
    Feb
    March

TGOHF said:

I don't think aspiration has declined at all - benefits as a lifestyle choice is something that is very rare, and represents a minority. In any case, it goes back to the issue of structural, long-term unemployment, occurring in deprived areas. What has declined, is social mobility - the ability of people from working class backgrounds to do well for themselves, over the last couple of decades. That is a problem both related to the education system, and the way our economy works.

"this might make people wanting bigger families think about whether they could afford them." (I paraphrase).

Suggests job done ?
    Absolutely! Best possible change that could have been made. My wife and I had our daughter last year and have discussed when we'd like to have our second and can we afford it. Don't claim a penny in "tax credits" etc but rather pay to the system. I fail to see why we should think about if we can afford more children but those who aren't working shouldn't make the same considerations. That is totally unfair.
    Not sure why Osbo gave people until April 2017, unless he is trying to engineer some sort of baby boom.

• Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,816
    Plato said:

@DavidL Ever seen this before?

A man accused of attacking and robbing a 93-year-old woman in her home has been charged under an ancient law which formerly carried the death penalty.

Graeme Bryden 27, of Stevenston, North Ayrshire, has appeared in court on an allegation of hamesucken.

The centuries-old charge would previously lead to death by hanging for those found guilty of committing the crime. It relates to the act of pursuing someone into their home with the intention of assaulting them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3154510/Man-appears-court-facing-ancient-charge-hamesucken-penalty-used-death-attacking-robbing-93-year-old-woman-home.html#ixzz3fOHqwRC6
    any fan of John Buchan's novels will recognise that term.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

I have failed to make it into work today after over three hours of waiting and hanging around at Shepherds Bush.

Time for the Reagan solution. Sack the lot of them. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would jump at the chance to work for TfL at between £30-35k plus benefits.

Everyone is different, but as someone who hasn't got the tube more than a dozen times n the last fifteen years (& even then only the district line) despite working in London for a lot of that time, I think the ease of travel on the tube leads people to think they can't possibly do without it

I'd say not getting the tube has shown me a lot of London ID never have seen otherwise and been a net benefit
    Yeah, there are a couple of ways to get there without the tube, but every single overground train that arrives is packed to the extent that no one can get on and the buses were horrendously packed as well. Just called up and told them I'll work from home in the end. My manager didn't seem bothered given that he was also at home.
    When I lived in Kentish Town and worked in Southwark it didn't occur to me to bike it, but I think I would now if I was in the same situation. I did walk it a few times though!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,278
    Plato said:

July
    August
    Sept
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec
    Jan
    Feb
    March

TGOHF said:

Suggests job done ?

That sounds like the 1st Rule of Project Management:
    "It takes a woman 9 months to have a baby. It cannot be done in 1 month with 9 women"
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Toms said:

MaxPB said:

I have failed to make it into work today after over three hours of waiting and hanging around at Shepherds Bush.

Time for the Reagan solution. Sack the lot of them. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would jump at the chance to work for TfL at between £30-35k plus benefits.

Commiserations. Would it be far to walk?
    If I recall aright (but I may be a-wrong), Reagan had the military guys to fall back on.
    A fair distance. I tend to baulk at more than about 40 or 50 minutes each way, say six miles round trip. Having flexi-hours is a big help.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

Everyone is different, but as someone who hasn't got the tube more than a dozen times n the last fifteen years (& even then only the district line) despite working in London for a lot of that time, I think the ease of travel on the tube leads people to think they can't possibly do without it

I'd say not getting the tube has shown me a lot of London ID never have seen otherwise and been a net benefit
    Yeah, there are a couple of ways to get there without the tube, but every single overground train that arrives is packed to the extent that no one can get on and the buses were horrendously packed as well. Just called up and told them I'll work from home in the end. My manager didn't seem bothered given that he was also at home.
    I noticed today talking to my colleagues that even left-leaning Londoners are having their views hardened against the unions. We've had so many strikes in recent years, and this one is so bad it's really been the final straw for a lot of people. I think we're getting to the point where the Mayoralty would have support for breaking their power even if it meant a lot of disruption in the mean time. We can't go on like this.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,037
    Plato said:

July
    August
    Sept
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec
    Jan
    Feb
    March

That's makes having another child before April 2016 a bit of a push

It is a bit tight, I think I was miscounting the months. But as it's just an eligibility issue, it could have been implemented mid-year.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

Burnham was not even Health Secretary when Mid Staffs occurred. At present he polls as the most electable candidate so of course he is a runner and did Blair and Cameron ever show much original thought and were they not also opportunists? Unlike Ed Miliband Burnham has not won the unions backing actually, the GMB, Unite and the RMT have backed Corbyn.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873911/Outcry-Burnham-claims-Mid-Staffs-probe-mistake-Labour-accused-insulting-victims-saying-better-report-never-published.html
    Labour was accused of insulting the victims of the Mid Staffs hospital scandal last night after its health spokesman suggested it would have been better if the report into their deaths had never been published.

Andy Burnham said events had borne out his view that the benefits of a public inquiry had not outweighed the reputational damage to the hospital.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

MaxPB said:

If I recall aright (but I may be a-wrong), Reagan had the military guys to fall back on.
    A fair distance. I tend to baulk at more than about 40 or 50 minutes each way, say six miles round trip. Having flexi-hours is a big help.
    ... but you hung around for three hours. You'd have been there and back by now. On a nice sunny morning as a one-off I would definitely have walked three miles.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Just en route to Bristol - very pleased that we have a privatised rail service so that I can use SWT in the absence of FGW service. Just a shame that our trade fair is being held next to BTM and opens on the second day of the strike.

Little public sympathy for striking unions anymore - have to wonder why they bother anymore, should stick to providing legal/advisory representation and behind the scenes. No public desire for mass action in consumer led economy.

Would our resident Andy Burnham fan like to comment on whether he'll be tough on strikes, and tough on the causes of strikes? It would poll well...

Corbyn is now the unions' man
    So will Burnham condemn the strikes and the cost to the economy that they cause?
    Well as the big Unions have backed Corbyn he has no reason to be beholden to them
    Dodging the question much? How about this one, do you think he should condemn them?
    He can put distance between them but it is not sensible to condemn much of your base, Blair never specifically condemned the unions and Cameron never specifically condemned the most hardline anti Europeans and social conservatives in his party either
    That's right, party comes first eh?

• Options
    An inducement may be in order!
    Financier said:

Literally?

Plato said:

July
    August
    Sept
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec
    Jan
    Feb
    March

TGOHF said:

Suggests job done ?

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    JEO said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

I noticed today talking to my colleagues that even left-leaning Londoners are having their views hardened against the unions. We've had so many strikes in recent years, and this one is so bad it's really been the final straw for a lot of people. I think we're getting to the point where the Mayoralty would have support for breaking their power even if it meant a lot of disruption in the mean time. We can't go on like this.
    You have to wonder who at TfL or the Gherkin managed to get so close to the start of 24-hour running and only then notice they'd forgotten to sign up the unions. Cynics might also wonder if it was deliberate. Because as we know, industrial disputes are always caused by workers and never by management.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Commons leader Chris Grayling says the government is rewriting its plans to give England's MPs a veto over English laws, with a vote delayed to September.

A redrafted version of the plan will be published on Monday and debated for two days next week, Mr Grayling said.

He would then "publish and table a final set of standing orders" which MPs would debate after the summer recess.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33462204
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Toms said:

Toms said:

MaxPB said:

... but you hung around for three hours. You'd have been there and back by now. On a nice sunny morning as a one-off I would definitely have walked three miles.
    The walking to/from the little cross country train requires the six miler, which can be truly therapeutic---no headphones & no mobile. Otherwise I cycle the full whack which is longer of course, but takes the same sort of time and is less therapeutic owing to the bl**dy cars.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,560
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Just en route to Bristol - very pleased that we have a privatised rail service so that I can use SWT in the absence of FGW service. Just a shame that our trade fair is being held next to BTM and opens on the second day of the strike.

Little public sympathy for striking unions anymore - have to wonder why they bother anymore, should stick to providing legal/advisory representation and behind the scenes. No public desire for mass action in consumer led economy.

Would our resident Andy Burnham fan like to comment on whether he'll be tough on strikes, and tough on the causes of strikes? It would poll well...

Corbyn is now the unions' man
    So will Burnham condemn the strikes and the cost to the economy that they cause?
    Well as the big Unions have backed Corbyn he has no reason to be beholden to them
    Dodging the question much? How about this one, do you think he should condemn them?
    He can put distance between them but it is not sensible to condemn much of your base, Blair never specifically condemned the unions and Cameron never specifically condemned the most hardline anti Europeans and social conservatives in his party either
    That's right, party comes first eh?

It is true that you need the party on board first and then you can appeal to floating voters, as Thatcher, Major, Blair and Cameron all did. Had the Tories elected Heseltine or Clarke and perhaps if Labour elect Kendall they may be able to do the latter but that could be/have been offset by the splits and defections to minor parties due to their inability to do the former
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    JEO said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

I wonder how many qualified drivers they have in management roles, or people with similar experience from other rail systems that could have accelerated training if required? What is the training period for new recruits from day 1 to driving unsupervised?

Reagan managed to get most ATC systems working quite quickly with managers and military controllers, relied on a lot of goodwill from airlines and customers for a couple of years as the new recruits were trained up and qualified.

Really hope that TfL and the Mayor take this seriously now. It's happening too often and for trivial reasons, billions of pounds are lost from businesses large and small every time it happens.

Long term of course the plan needs to be to move to automated trains, a program which needs to be accelerated dramatically.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

Burnham was not even Health Secretary when Mid Staffs occurred. At present he polls as the most electable candidate so of course he is a runner and did Blair and Cameron ever show much original thought and were they not also opportunists? Unlike Ed Miliband Burnham has not won the unions backing actually, the GMB, Unite and the RMT have backed Corbyn.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873911/Outcry-Burnham-claims-Mid-Staffs-probe-mistake-Labour-accused-insulting-victims-saying-better-report-never-published.html
    Labour was accused of insulting the victims of the Mid Staffs hospital scandal last night after its health spokesman suggested it would have been better if the report into their deaths had never been published.

Andy Burnham said events had borne out his view that the benefits of a public inquiry had not outweighed the reputational damage to the hospital.

"Mr Burnham appointed QC Robert Francis to investigate Mid Staffs in 2009.
    Mr Burnham said: 'I did not oppose a public inquiry when it was proposed by Andrew Lansley. But I always worried that a lengthy public inquiry might have implications for the hospital and said the Government should provide it with more public support, which I don't think it did.' "

• Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    HYUFD said:

"Yes that emotional intelligence defined in his attitude to the people of Liverpool and Staffordshire and the slight contrast. That will define him for ever, he really should be a non-runner in this race, he will be loyal to anyone if it helps him from Blair to McClusky but as Mike said quite rightly has shown no original thought, like Miliband Burnham would jump from one opportunist band-waggon to another with no long term vision, also like Miliband he is very much Lenny's man and the Conservatives would be all over him just the same.

Most important of all to the middle income, Midlands swing voter Burnham would be a big no that is a certainty. For Labour that should be the main concern."

You are also wrong on swing voters, after all in the poll I have just posted Burnham has the highest net favourables of all the Labour candidates amongst the public as a whole, the fact Corbyn came last means it cannot be dismissed

I will guarantee you now, Burnham will not fare well in the Midlands with the usual middle earning swing voters, I know the mentality like I tried to tell the ex Labour MP in May, I was right then and if you elect Burnham it will be the same again.

His pretend scouse will be a net loss as well outside Merseyside, not the most popular place is Liverpool.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977

JEO said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

You have to wonder who at TfL or the Gherkin managed to get so close to the start of 24-hour running and only then notice they'd forgotten to sign up the unions. Cynics might also wonder if it was deliberate. Because as we know, industrial disputes are always caused by workers and never by management.
    Industrial disputes are usually caused by employees not wanting to do what is in the best interest of the company and frequently the consumer. Outdated, nineteenth century mode of protest.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Indigo

'Andy Burnham said events had borne out his view that the benefits of a public inquiry had not outweighed the reputational damage to the hospital.'

The only concern Burnham had was the potential reputational damage to Labour and himself.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

MaxPB said:

The walking to/from the little cross country train requires the six miler, which can be truly therapeutic---no headphones & no mobile. Otherwise I cycle the full whack which is longer of course, but takes the same sort of time and is less therapeutic owing to the bl**dy cars.
    I think I misread that as being a six mile round trip. I used to walk from Waterloo to Piccadilly (and back) every day, but it's only a mile and a half. Got good exercise, saved money and avoided the hell that is the Jubilee Line. And a good use of time - I got an hour's exercise for the net loss of half that.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

Plato said:

July
    August
    Sept
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec
    Jan
    Feb
    March

It is a bit tight, I think I was miscounting the months. But as it's just an eligibility issue, it could have been implemented mid-year.
    The deadline is 2017, not 2016.
    It gives families with two children plenty of time to plan for a third, if they so desire.

( I do seem to see a lot of three child families these days, most usually where the first two children are the same sex - maybe the third was an attempt to get the missing boy/girl in the family)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Disraeli said:

Plato said:

July
    August
    Sept
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec
    Jan
    Feb
    March

It gives families with two children plenty of time to plan for a third, if they so desire.

( I do seem to see a lot of three child families these days, most usually where the first two children are the same sex - maybe the third was an attempt to get the missing boy/girl in the family)
    I'd like to have three children but my wife is happy to have two (we currently just have one). Three I think is a good limit as its how many you can fit in a regular car.
  • Options

Toms said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

MaxPB said:

I think I misread that as being a six mile round trip. I used to walk from Waterloo to Piccadilly (and back) every day, but it's only a mile and a half. Got good exercise, saved money and avoided the hell that is the Jubilee Line. And a good use of time - I got an hour's exercise for the net loss of half that.
    Yes, six mile round trip to & from the train stns. Otherwise cycle the whole lot w/o using the train. That's enough commuting (ed)
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

Disraeli said:

Plato said:

July
    August
    Sept
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec
    Jan
    Feb
    March

I'd like to have three children but my wife is happy to have two (we currently just have one). Three I think is a good limit as its how many you can fit in a regular car.
    "...a regular car" - a man after my own heart!
  • Options
    Speaking of cycling, here's a fellow---the mighty Steve Abraham---who is trying to cycle more than 75000 miles in one calender year.

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/
  • Options
    macisback said:

HYUFD said:

"Yes that emotional intelligence defined in his attitude to the people of Liverpool and Staffordshire and the slight contrast. That will define him for ever, he really should be a non-runner in this race, he will be loyal to anyone if it helps him from Blair to McClusky but as Mike said quite rightly has shown no original thought, like Miliband Burnham would jump from one opportunist band-waggon to another with no long term vision, also like Miliband he is very much Lenny's man and the Conservatives would be all over him just the same.

Most important of all to the middle income, Midlands swing voter Burnham would be a big no that is a certainty. For Labour that should be the main concern."

You are also wrong on swing voters, after all in the poll I have just posted Burnham has the highest net favourables of all the Labour candidates amongst the public as a whole, the fact Corbyn came last means it cannot be dismissed

I will guarantee you now, Burnham will not fare well in the Midlands with the usual middle earning swing voters, I know the mentality like I tried to tell the ex Labour MP in May, I was right then and if you elect Burnham it will be the same again.

His pretend scouse will be a net loss as well outside Merseyside, not the most popular place is Liverpool.

From Yougov's last ST Labour leadership poll 3 weeks ago giving the popularity of the candidates, it shows Burnham does best in the North, true, but also the South. He does worst relatively in London

All London South Midlands/Wales North Scotland
    Burnham 10 6 10 7 17 9
    Cooper 7 8 5 8 6 10
    Kendall 4 4 4 5 3 4
    Corbyn 4 5 4 3 2 8

https://yougov.co.uk/publicopinion/archive/?page=6
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    john_zims said:

@Indigo

'Andy Burnham said events had borne out his view that the benefits of a public inquiry had not outweighed the reputational damage to the hospital.'

The only concern Burnham had was the potential reputational damage to Labour and himself.

Exactly my point.
  • Options

JEO said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

What has the Gherkin got to do with anything?

It is the unions that have called this strike, and the 24-hour tube has been known about for a long time. The union workers signed up for the contracts they signed up to. People don't exactly have much sympathy for them, when they have more than eight weeks holiday a year, complain about having to have a 45 minute commute, needed a bonus just to do their normal jobs during the Olympics, and are paid £50-65k after just five years.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    HYUFD said:

macisback said:

HYUFD said:

From Yougov's last ST Labour leadership poll 3 weeks ago giving the popularity of the candidates, it shows Burnham does best in the North, true, but also the South. He does worst relatively in London

Burnham 10 6 10 7 17 9
    Cooper 7 8 5 8 6 10
    Kendall 4 4 4 5 3 4
    Corbyn 4 5 4 3 2 8

After the General Election I take Yougov polls with a pinch of salt, Burnham will carry little respect among middle ground Midlanders that comment requires no polling.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    JEO said:

JEO said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

What has the Gherkin got to do with anything?

It is the unions that have called this strike, and the 24-hour tube has been known about for a long time. The union workers signed up for the contracts they signed up to. People don't exactly have much sympathy for them, when they have more than eight weeks holiday a year, complain about having to have a 45 minute commute, needed a bonus just to do their normal jobs during the Olympics, and are paid £50-65k after just five years.
    Exactly. If they're so hard done by I suggest they quit and find a better job. Good luck with that!
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Burnham 10 6 10 7 17 9
    Cooper 7 8 5 8 6 10
    Kendall 4 4 4 5 3 4
    Corbyn 4 5 4 3 2 8

After the General Election I take Yougov polls with a pinch of salt, Burnham will carry little respect among middle ground Midlanders that comment requires no polling.

Even allowing for the margin of error in that final tied Yougov poll (and Yougov still had Cameron as preferred PM) I prefer to go on factual polling evidence than whatever I may personally feel on matters like this. What is clear is that Burnham does as well, or slightly above his total in the nation as a whole in the North and the South, he actually does worse in London than the Midlands. Kendall does better than her average total in the Midlands, worse in the North, Corbyn gets well above his average score in Scotland and also does worst in the North. Cooper does best in Scotland, worst in the South
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,587
    The BBC doing their best to change the narrative on the budget:

Breaking News: Benefits freeze 'to hit 13m families'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33463864
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,835
    edited July 2015

The narrative is totally irrelevant, one way or another. Nobody will remember any of this in 5 years. I doubt 1 single vote was altered by the omnishambles budget.

It is clear that the direction of travel is to try and vastly scale back pernicious tax credits and reduce the current ridiculous merry go round.

It is no shock at all that this budget was a tax rising one. If you look back in history pretty much every single budget after a GE is, and I said this would be the case no matter who wins only a few months ago.
  • Options

Nobody will remember any of this in 5 years.
    Err....no. This was a huge budget. It set in stone the objective of balanced budgets. It limited welfare. It started to wind up Gordo's fuckwitted tax credits wheeze. It changed the political narrative. It was one to remember.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    As for Yvette Cooper,her appeal goes further than just Labour party leader,she is recognisable as a future PM on the world stage alongside Hillary and Nicola.Anyone who can stand up to Ed Balls ought to find Putin pretty feeble.Labour could be persuaded to elect its first woman leader.Certainly comments from a key Andy Burnham ally,Rachel Reeves,on social security policy,will have persuaded some Corbynites to switch to YC on second choices.My guess is that Liz Kendall supporters will largely migrate to YC on 2nd choices as well as the sisterhood operation cranks into top gear.She may be seen as the least worst candidate for others in choosing 2nd preferences.
    More and more CLPs are going through nominations.The numbers so far still indicate that Andy Burnham is in a good lead but will need to keep it to avoid losing on 2nd preferences.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    The Budget has revealed Osborne to be essentially dishonourable and slippery.We had already seen a very big change in his projections between he Autumn Statement and the March Budget. Now in barely three months he plans to spend an additional £83billion over the course of this Parliament. Where did the need for this suddenly come from? From what he said in March and last Autumn this man can very reasonably now be described as a bare-faced liar. Not the kind of human being we need to be responsible for our affairs at all
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The IFS are saying some uncomplimentary things about the budget. I suspect Osborne will not care
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,835
    Patrick said:

Nobody will remember any of this in 5 years.
    Err....no. This was a huge budget. It set in stone the objective of balanced budgets. It limited welfare. It started to wind up Gordo's fuckwitted tax credits wheeze. It changed the political narrative. It was one to remember.
    You will remember this, I will remember this, the general public won't. It is changing the direction of flow, but 95% of people won't remember well the tax credits didn't go up, so that means I'm worse off on that front, but then factoring in.....

It is why fiscal drag was so successfully employed by Gordon Brown, because even if the IFS etc pointed out OIIIII HE IS SNEAKING THROUGH A TAX RISE....nobody remembers it in 6 months.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2015
    john_zims said:

@Indigo

"the reputational damage to the hospital" vs the deaths and mess encrusted misery, pain and horror inflicted on the patients.
    Still we know which side Burnham is on. The side of producer interests.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    justin124 said:

The Budget has revealed Osborne to be essentially dishonourable and slippery.We had already seen a very big change in his projections between he Autumn Statement and the March Budget. Now in barely three months he plans to spend an additional £83billion over the course of this Parliament. Where did the need for this suddenly come from? From what he said in March and last Autumn this man can very reasonably now be described as a bare-faced liar. Not the kind of human being we need to be responsible for our affairs at all

He did the same last parly - made him look good when he improved on the figures near the GE.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

As for Yvette Cooper,her appeal goes further than just Labour party leader,she is recognisable as a future PM on the world stage alongside Hillary and Nicola.

Surely for Nicola you meant "future MP" ?

:D

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,752
    Plato said:

@DavidL Ever seen this before?

A man accused of attacking and robbing a 93-year-old woman in her home has been charged under an ancient law which formerly carried the death penalty.

Graeme Bryden 27, of Stevenston, North Ayrshire, has appeared in court on an allegation of hamesucken.

The centuries-old charge would previously lead to death by hanging for those found guilty of committing the crime. It relates to the act of pursuing someone into their home with the intention of assaulting them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3154510/Man-appears-court-facing-ancient-charge-hamesucken-penalty-used-death-attacking-robbing-93-year-old-woman-home.html#ixzz3fOHqwRC6
    Yes, it is not really that unusual. It is basically an aggravation to assault someone in their own home.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

justin124 said:

He did the same last parly - made him look good when he improved on the figures near the GE.
    Yes, he will probably find that his numbers are better than expected in 2018 which will give him scope for tax cuts.

Expectations management and political expediency, it has ever been thus.
  • Options
    williamglenn said: The BBC doing their best to change the narrative on the budget:

Yes they are. Osborne may be regretting all the extras he agreed with the BBC.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741

BBC reporting news shock.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

williamglenn said: The BBC doing their best to change the narrative on the budget:

The charter is coming up for renewal next year, if this has been done on a gentleman's agreement so that they Licence Fee doesn't drop and the BBC take on this burden then the BBC are playing with fire. Once the legislation is through in September the government can do what it wants if the BBC are still taking the hostile route. I know I would be looking to force a sale of BBC1 and Radio 1.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

justin124 said:

Yes, he will probably find that his numbers are better than expected in 2018 which will give him scope for tax cuts.

More likely he is going to undershoot and announce the surplus a year early, thus entrenching sound money as a Tory value.
  • Options
    That's what I instantly thought.
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

justin124 said:

More likely he is going to undershoot and announce the surplus a year early, thus entrenching sound money as a Tory value.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

justin124 said:

Or he wants to stimulate the economy during 2017 to improve the economic climate for the Brexit referendum.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,492
    HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

Mr Burnham said: 'I did not oppose a public inquiry when it was proposed by Andrew Lansley. But I always worried that a lengthy public inquiry might have implications for the hospital and said the Government should provide it with more public support, which I don't think it did.' "

Francis himself criticised that inquiry's remit as being too narrow, which led to the coalition appointing him as chair of the public inquiry.

As an example: Burnham's independent, but narrow, inquiry came up with 18 local and national recommendations. The wider public inquiry made 290 recommendations.

On another point: whilst Burnham was not Health Secretary when Mid Staffs occurred, he was in the health department in 2006-7 as Minister of State (Department of Health) (Delivery and Quality)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Angela Merkel has ruled out slashing the face value of Greece’s government debt.

“In 2012 we dealt with the issue of debt sustainability. We stretched out the maturities, we pushed back the repayment requirement for EFSF loans out to 2020. So we are not dealing with debt sustainability for the first time,” Merkel said when asked about differences with the IMF over a debt writedown for Greece.

“I have said that a classic haircut is out of the question for me and that hasn’t changed between yesterday and today.”

Appears the lady has finally put her foot down. The weekend summit looks like being lots of fun, - if Tsipras can get his debt proposals written in time.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    justin124 said:

Osborne has put back the projected surplus by 12 months and that surplus will be £10bn bigger.
    He has announced £37bn of 'fiscal consolidation' by the end of this parliament. That is like for like £37bn less each year thereafter by the end of the parliament.

Needs? He has guaranteed increases in NHS and defence spending.
    Over 5 years the govt will supposedly spend an extra £83bn, this is out of a total spend of some £3.7 trillion.
    This extra spend over 5 years is half of one years deficit inherited in 2010. And at least half of that extra spend is to sustain the NHS and that was clearly promised by the tories before the election.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    MaxPB said:

The charter is coming up for renewal next year, if this has been done on a gentleman's agreement so that they Licence Fee doesn't drop and the BBC take on this burden then the BBC are playing with fire. Once the legislation is through in September the government can do what it wants if the BBC are still taking the hostile route. I know I would be looking to force a sale of BBC1 and Radio 1.
    The "hostile route" being reporting an IFS study as happens after every budget. Sky News also has it. Has Rupert defected too?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079

Angela Merkel has ruled out slashing the face value of Greece’s government debt.

“In 2012 we dealt with the issue of debt sustainability. We stretched out the maturities, we pushed back the repayment requirement for EFSF loans out to 2020. So we are not dealing with debt sustainability for the first time,” Merkel said when asked about differences with the IMF over a debt writedown for Greece.

“I have said that a classic haircut is out of the question for me and that hasn’t changed between yesterday and today.”

Appears the lady has finally put her foot down. The weekend summit looks like being lots of fun, - if Tsipras can get his debt proposals written in time.

Will the dog eat Tsipras' homework again ?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Pulpstar said:

Angela Merkel has ruled out slashing the face value of Greece’s government debt. .

Will the dog eat Tsipras' homework again ?
    Not this time, the French have sent in minders to make sure he brings it to class on time.

Can’t believe they didn’t even bother putting pen to paper for a Plan A, much less a Plan B. – Meanwhile the banks remain closed for another week. Personally I’d me rather miffed if I was living in Athens…!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Newf red
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2015

Should Angela Merkel in particular find herself in the dog house come Sunday, especially with the likes of France and other Socialist Greek - supporting EU states, she is likely to turn to Britain for support.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,763
    Merkel says a 'classic haircut' is out of the question. Smiplistic, but I presme then a haircut of some stripe is on the horizon then? Perhaps one wrapped in european fudge to make it look less classic?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

Francis himself criticised that inquiry's remit as being too narrow, which led to the coalition appointing him as chair of the public inquiry.

As an example: Burnham's independent, but narrow, inquiry came up with 18 local and national recommendations. The wider public inquiry made 290 recommendations.

On another point: whilst Burnham was not Health Secretary when Mid Staffs occurred, he was in the health department in 2006-7 as Minister of State (Department of Health) (Delivery and Quality)

The public really are not going to be engaged about whose enquiry was better and as you say Alan Johnson was Health Secretary at the time