Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How a third runway at Heathrow could make for a real Old Et

13»

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2015

antifrank said:

I'm willing to bet reasonable sums of money that Jeremy Corbyn will not get close to a third of the first preferences. If I lose those reasonable sums of money I can then recoup them by betting heavily on a Conservative victory in 2020.

It's a third of preferences in the second round which is critical. In the first round he just needs to beat someone, probably Liz Kendall, which is possible, verging on likely.
    This gives me the chance to re-post the poll of Labour councillors (I have no idea how representative they will be of the membership, though). Among those councillors, Kendall has both less supporters AND more outright haters than Corbyn does:

First preference for leader
    Burnham 36%
    Cooper 30%
    Corbyn 19%
    Kendall 15%

LAST preference for leader
    Kendall 48%
    Corbyn 44%
    Cooper 6%
    Burnham 3%

http://ww2.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/news/conservatives-fear-kendall-flint-quake.Maincontent.0006.file.tmp/labour-polling-data-report-1-july-2015.pdf
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

Is it me or does Tsipras really get a 'Statement to the Nation' on Greek TV every day? Anyone know whether there are referendum rules for equal coverage for 'Yes' and 'No'?

There probably are rules governing referenda, but like every other Greek rule, ignored.
    Actually I now realise my question should have been; anyone know if they're actually printing the ballot papers? Presumably it's a logistical effort to get them out to all the islands...?
    Well. Tsipras has said today in his ‘address to the Nation’ that a Referendum will take place next Sunday – A logistical nightmare at the best of times, let alone one at such short notice and with a geographical spread like Greece. – The printing of the ballot papers is probably the easiest bit, paying for them is another matter entirely.
    Print the ballot paper on one side and a drachma note on the other....?
    Brilliant idea – I’m sure there’s a flaw somewhere, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. :lol:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2015
    Yanis Varoufakis: "Why we recommend a NO in the referendum – in 6 short bullet points".

http://yanisvaroufakis.eu/2015/07/01/why-we-recommend-a-no-in-the-referendum-in-6-short-bullet-points/
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    AndyJS said:

Yanis Varoufakis: "Why we recommend a NO in the referendum – in 6 short bullet points".

http://yanisvaroufakis.eu/2015/07/01/why-we-recommend-a-no-in-the-referendum-in-6-short-bullet-points/

His short bullet points are rather long...
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    A glimmer of good news for SLAB and Scottish Tories, as Caroline Lucas by voting against FFA may well have shot and injured the Scottish Greens 2nd vote fox for Holyrood 2016, seemingly she was voting in accordance with Patrick H's wishes.

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/have-greens-just-killed-their-own-2nd.html

The SNP are certainly concerned that as they are now polling at 60%, SNP supporters voting tactically for the Greens on the regional list could lose them seats.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    isam said:

Instead of best/worst Prime Ministers, how about the best Prime Ministers we never had.

I'll be different, and go for Denis Healey.

David Owen would be one. Paddy Ashdown still intrigues me.

For different reasons, both Michael Heseltine and Norman Tebbit could have got the job in parallel universes too. And, the most obvious one, what if John Smith had survived?

Above all, William Hague. Shot his bolt too young, and it broke his will.
    Obviously Enoch

The inspiration behind Thatchers monetary policy, a consistent record of voting for gay rights, an opponent of nuclear weapons, and of course had he been PM there would be almost no British people that want sharia law or flee to IS, no 7/7 and no beheading of Lee Rigby

Also no ukip!
    He also argued for a defence strategy based rigorously on the national interest. He was against the American invasion of Vietnam from the start: “The point is that the Americans do not live in south-east Asia, whereas the North Vietnamese and their neighbours do.”

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/6th-february-1971/15/j-enoch-powell-on-chomsky-and-vietnam
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,505

AndyJS said:

The short version would be, "Vote No because No means Yes."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,671
    edited July 2015
    FalseFlag said:

isam said:

Instead of best/worst Prime Ministers, how about the best Prime Ministers we never had.

I'll be different, and go for Denis Healey.

David Owen would be one. Paddy Ashdown still intrigues me.

For different reasons, both Michael Heseltine and Norman Tebbit could have got the job in parallel universes too. And, the most obvious one, what if John Smith had survived?

Above all, William Hague. Shot his bolt too young, and it broke his will.
    Obviously Enoch

The inspiration behind Thatchers monetary policy, a consistent record of voting for gay rights, an opponent of nuclear weapons, and of course had he been PM there would be almost no British people that want sharia law or flee to IS, no 7/7 and no beheading of Lee Rigby

Also no ukip!
    He also argued for a defence strategy based rigorously on the national interest. He was against the American invasion of Vietnam from the start: “The point is that the Americans do not live in south-east Asia, whereas the North Vietnamese and their neighbours do.”

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/6th-february-1971/15/j-enoch-powell-on-chomsky-and-vietnam
    Shades, albeit pale ones, of TB's 45 min claim with Dave's "existential threat" comment about IS.

Once you have established that the issue is one of immediate and significant national security there is nothing you can't do.

Or want to do, rather.

I don't think Dave quite has Tone's driven belief but if this becomes the narrative it puts a lot onto the table.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,760
    AndyJS said:

Yanis Varoufakis: It's an honour to die at your side!

Alexis Tsipras: IT'S AN HONOUR TO HAVE LIVED AT YOURS!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,760

AndyJS said:

The short version would be, "Vote No because No means Yes."
    "No, we can!" :lol:
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    matt said:

I would have more sympathy for the Tarmac over West London enthusasists if there was some recognition of a world outside the M25. BA has the kit to run effective long haul services from the regions but insists on everything (or almost everything) going through LHR. British Airways my arse. London Airways perhaps.

It's all going to change.

Air Lingus means that they are going to run a lot of the US flights via Dublin, with feeders from regional airports / Heathrow. The London folks will get back on the same plane after US customs clearance, but shouldn't be too much more of a hassle for other folk.

Just think of the savings on APD...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,110
    calum said:

A glimmer of good news for SLAB and Scottish Tories, as Caroline Lucas by voting against FFA may well have shot and injured the Scottish Greens 2nd vote fox for Holyrood 2016, seemingly she was voting in accordance with Patrick H's wishes.

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/have-greens-just-killed-their-own-2nd.html

The SNP are certainly concerned that as they are now polling at 60%, SNP supporters voting tactically for the Greens on the regional list could lose them seats.

All part of the master plan to ensure the Tory Surge is nailed on. :)
  • Options
    Charles said:

matt said:

I would have more sympathy for the Tarmac over West London enthusasists if there was some recognition of a world outside the M25. BA has the kit to run effective long haul services from the regions but insists on everything (or almost everything) going through LHR. British Airways my arse. London Airways perhaps.

Air Lingus means that they are going to run a lot of the US flights via Dublin, with feeders from regional airports / Heathrow. The London folks will get back on the same plane after US customs clearance, but shouldn't be too much more of a hassle for other folk.

I always look for routings that avoid APD but I can never be arsed to do it. Sigh...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

AndyJS said:

Want Cake. Have Cake. Eat Cake. Please send more Cake. Love, Greece.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    I have no idea how I'd vote in a Greek referendum. Ongoing austerity on the scale demanded by the Troika without any devaluation possible is going to be gradual long term carnage. Leaving the Eurozone without IMF support would be immediate sudden carnage.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,806
    JEO said:

I have no idea how I'd vote in a Greek referendum. Ongoing austerity on the scale demanded by the Troika without any devaluation possible is going to be gradual long term carnage. Leaving the Eurozone without IMF support would be immediate sudden carnage.

Immediate sudden carnage is infinitely preferable. Get the pain out of the way early.

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    This is tragic:

'THE MIDDLE East’s population of 12 million Christians will be halved by 2020, if current demographic trends continue, writs World Review expert, Lord Alton. Christians made up a quarter of the Middle East’s population 100 years ago, now they are less than five per cent.'

http://www.worldreview.info/content/christians-targeted-islamic-terror-groups-across-globe
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Charles said:

matt said:

I don't have much faith in IAG running a successful strategy. Good at lobbying, weak elsewhere. FWIW I've done the change in SNN approach pretty regularly with the added advantage of clearing US immigration. It's just that the U.S. airlines make BA look customer focused....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409

JEO said:

Immediate sudden carnage is infinitely preferable. Get the pain out of the way early.

I think it depends on your circumstances. If you have €100,000 in savings, then no is going to royally screw you. If you are unemployed, then yes doesn't look like a good option
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    edited July 2015
    rcs1000 said:

JEO said:

I think it depends on your circumstances. If you have €100,000 in savings, then no is going to royally screw you. If you are unemployed, then yes doesn't look like a good option
    If you've got any sense, you've got $110,000 in USD or €100k lodged at Deutsche Bank or in Swiss Francs... and are using cash/overdraft for day to day expenses at the moment.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    JEO said:

I imagine voting will be largely along class lines with middle-class people voting Yes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

JEO said:

If you've got any sense, you've got $110,000 in USD or €100k lodged at Deutsche Bank or in Swiss Francs... and are using cash/overdraft for day to day expenses at the moment.
    So that's what you did with your GE winnings!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    matt said:

Charles said:

matt said:

I don't have much faith in IAG running a successful strategy. Good at lobbying, weak elsewhere. FWIW I've done the change in SNN approach pretty regularly with the added advantage of clearing US immigration. It's just that the U.S. airlines make BA look customer focused....
    BA's pretty nice to me, so happy with their customer focus - American and United have come on a long way, while Delta is still the pits...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    edited July 2015
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

JEO said:

So that's what you did with your GE winnings!
    Haha Nah With First Direct.

Not too happy to see HSBC's Greek exposure though tbh.

Wasn't playing in that league either ;p
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

JEO said:

Since the start of 2015, around 20% of deposits left the Greek banking system... which means 80% is till there!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

There's a lot I agree with in those. However, 5 is simply not true. While Greece cannot be evicted from the Eurozone by diktat, if its entire banking system disintegrates, and there is no way to pay for essential imports of oil or food, then it will have no choice but to print its own money. At which point is effectively leaves the Eurozone by its own hand.

The actions of Greek government, in insisting that a Euro exit is not on the cards, is incredibly irresponsible. Come Monday morning, assuming a No vote, Greece will need to move very quickly to rebuild its economy. It needs to have notes and coins available, it needs to pass legislation, and it needs to get bank systems on to the new currency.

This week should be preparation for this. Instead, this foolish insistence in the inevitability of staying in the Euro means Greece is woefully unprepared for next week. God help the Greeks.
  • Options
    Charles said:

matt said:

Charles said:

matt said:

BA's pretty nice to me, so happy with their customer focus - American and United have come on a long way, while Delta is still the pits...
    GGL?
  • Options
    JEO said:

This is tragic:

'THE MIDDLE East’s population of 12 million Christians will be halved by 2020, if current demographic trends continue, writs World Review expert, Lord Alton. Christians made up a quarter of the Middle East’s population 100 years ago, now they are less than five per cent.'

http://www.worldreview.info/content/christians-targeted-islamic-terror-groups-across-globe

Goodness, I had no idea Lord (David) Alton was so young. Amazing to think he was an MP for 18 years, stopped being an MP almost 20 years ago, and is still only 64.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    RobD said:

calum said:

All part of the master plan to ensure the Tory Surge is nailed on. :)
    I think Ruth D would be happy if they managed a gentle stroll past 20% in May, then things could get interesting !!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,027

New Thread

This discussion has been closed.