Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the voters moved on May 7th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,725
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the voters moved on May 7th

The graphic shows the various migrations of one hundred typical voters from 2010 to now. Voters who have switched from one party to another are shown moving along the corresponding arrow. “Lost” supporters are shown in grey, and “gained” supporters carry a white plus sign.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    First!
  • Options
    and a great diagram! Those poor LDs...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MSmithsonPB: Senior Tory gives me his preferences for LAB leader
    1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    FPT (and in response to Stodge - and how I hate it when a New Thread pops up the minute "Post Comment" has been pressed!)

Of the countries you list, one of the wealthiest is Saudi Arabia. And it is notable for how many of those who perpetrate atrocities come from there, including - for instance - the suicide bomber who blew himself up in Kuwait a few days ago. It is also notable as being the country which has funded many of the madrassahs and other institutions which perpetuate the ideology behind IS, Al Qaeda and the rest. And there have been even more serious allegations made against some of its wealthiest citizens.

Many of the terrorists, far from being poor and hopeless, are well educated and wealthy and, apparently, integrated into a Western lifestyle.

While it is a good thing to make poor countries richer, if the effect of, say, an education system funded by the Saudis is to create people who despise the West, think that there should be no freedom of religion and that women are third class citizens, then spreading the wealth will do no good at all. What's more people want - and need - something more than money. It is necessary for a worthwhile life. It is not sufficient. There is more to life than getting and spending. Islam provides a belief system. It is a failing in Western analyses which see everything through economics and only that to fail to understand that people can have other drivers and motivations. Western analysis often forgets its own bloody religious history, indeed its own religion and tends, therefore, to underestimate or misunderstand completely the mindset of people who have a culture where religion is not some add-on but is central to everyday life.

Rather than encourage Saudi Arabia to spread its ideology I would be doing quite the opposite. I do not regard it as an ally in any meaningful sense. Its values are wholly antithetical to Western values and its role in spreading Wahabi-Islam has been utterly malign. To give a small example: IS has said that it wants to destroy all evidence of any cultures or civilizations other than Islam in the areas it controls. The chief Saudi cleric takes exactly the same view. One may do it with violence and the other only say it. But in essence they want the same thing.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Excellent diagram, BTW.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

Interesting. If it's straight and if it signifies anything more that one person's view, it agrees with my (one person's) preference for Kendall.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,915
    I reckon Cooper may win given that when Kendall is knocked out her votes will go mainly to YC.

At least we could then have Eds Missus is Crap is PM (EMICIPM) for 4 years!!

Ms Cyclefree this comment is meant to be tongue in cheek and not at all sexist!!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Nice graph.
    Tsipras just said on TV that if the referendum is YES he will resign and call for early elections, which he will probably win so it will be back to step 1 even if YES wins.
  • Options
    Or Eds Missus Will never be PM

EMWNBPM
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

I am clearly a senior Tory
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    Well said Cyclefree - my thoughts exactly.
  • Options

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Tsipras has strongly hinted that he has a plan B when asked about a euro exit on his TV interview now.

Specifically he said that he wants to stay in the euro however the government has a responsibility to restore liquidity and normal services and that Greece can survive economically, and then he quoted Churchill.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Interesting graph which contradicts the perceived wisdom of what happened in Dover. The Tory and Labour votes remained pretty much the same, the libs dropped from 8000 to 1500 and ukip rose from 1700 to just over 10000, therefore it would be easy to assume the lib vote went to ukip. Actually what happened is the libs voted labour and labour lost 1000s to ukip.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If Jeremy Corbyn is chosen as leader, it will be a sign that the Labour party has gone stark staring mad. If Andy Burnham is chosen as leader, it will be a sign that the Labour party has decided that the public needs to change rather than it. If Liz Kendall is chosen as leader, it will upset so many on the left that the internecine war is likely to capsize her leadership.

So that leaves Yvette Cooper, who is a bit of a blank canvass, but that's no bad thing.
  • Options
    I will probably vote for Corbyn as first choice but it is a toss up whether my 2nd preference goes to Burnham or Cooper.

If Kendall became leader i would not vote Lab in 2020.

In fact TBH struggling to support my MP who is Kendalls main organiser.

Cant understand why he cannot see what a divisive figure she is.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,712

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

At this rate you may soon reach the exalted title of PB Tory
  • Options
    antifrank said:

If Jeremy Corbyn is chosen as leader, it will be a sign that the Labour party has gone stark staring mad. If Andy Burnham is chosen as leader, it will be a sign that the Labour party has decided that the public needs to change rather than it. If Liz Kendall is chosen as leader, it will upset so many on the left that the internecine war is likely to capsize her leadership.

So that leaves Yvette Cooper, who is a bit of a blank canvass, but that's no bad thing.

That's why my initial position is that Cooper would probably get it.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

At which point he will always be right!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

I just glanced out the window & saw a pig flying by.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

Aye you are right.

Kendall is in the wrong party too Methinks
  • Options
    @afneil: Varoufakis to @Telegraph: Taking advice. Considering injunction European Court of Justice. EU treaties = no way for € exit. Not negotiable.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Trump's presidential campaign is making progress...

"US TV network NBC fires Donald Trump over Mexico comments"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33321290
  • Options

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

At which point he will always be right!
    That is Mrs BJ i am authorised to say
  • Options

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

Aye you are right.

Kendall is in the wrong party too Methinks
    There was a period between late 2001 and most of 2002 when I thought I was in the wrong party. Then I realised, actually I was in the majority, as all we Tories thought IDS was crap
  • Options
    Toms said:

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

Had a Kendall for leader T Shirt on?
  • Options

Toms said:

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

OK OK. Maybe it's time for a rethink.
  • Options

Toms said:

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

Kendall is the best chance for Labour to win in 2020.

Which means she hasn't a hope of becoming leader.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    antifrank said:

I think they should go for Corbyn.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    The 7th wicket stand of 366 by bairstow/bresnan was the highest 7th wicket stand in 125 years of the county championship beating a record from 1902.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @MSmithsonPB: The same senior Tory told me that Tom Watson would be his deputy choice, Khan the LAB London Mayoral candidate & Farron LD leader
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

I'm not sure that you're completely disinterested.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,095
    I was not around for the days of Foot and co, I think I would quite like Corbyn to become leader as it seems like it would be an interesting time. That said, an effective opposition (and one that seems able to defeat or at least challenge the sitting government) is important, and I don't think Corbyn would provide that, so it's probably a good thing I won't get that amusement.
  • Options

Toms said:

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

I think the core vote would be lost in greater numbers than any centre right voters attracted.

Could be wrong though.

Still couldnt stomach voting for a Kendall led party
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I am displaying hitherto unknown self control in not signing up to vote in the Labour leadership election.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I am displaying hitherto unknown self control in not signing up to vote in the Labour leadership election.
    £3 well spent
  • Options

antifrank said:

£3 well spent
    Actually they claim to have some controls in place to stop Tories signing up. Would be interesting to see if they work.
  • Options

Toms said:

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

I think the core vote would be lost in greater numbers than any centre right voters attracted.

Could be wrong though.
    It's a hell of a risk to take admittedly, and depends on the Tories driving away centre right votes too to be safe. For the longest time I, like many people, assumed that while tacking hard right would not win the Tories the election, they had tried ineffectively to woo the centre while neglecting the right completely, and so could not win. Turns out they'd done enough, helped by Labour being more unappealing than I had realised, but it seemed to make sense at the time.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

@MSmithsonPB: The same senior Tory told me that Tom Watson would be his deputy choice, Khan the LAB London Mayoral candidate & Farron LD leader

Lol - that's one savvy senior Tory.
  • Options

antifrank said:

£3 well spent
    I think I might do the morning thread entitled "Why Labour should choose Corbyn as leader"
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Toms said:

Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

Could be wrong though.

Still couldnt stomach voting for a Kendall led party
    Depends what you mean by core vote - I think you may be confusing core vote with Labour party members
  • Options

antifrank said:

£3 well spent
    I think I might do the morning thread entitled "Why Labour should choose Corbyn as leader"
    Never going to be leader but the larger his first round vote the better IMO.

Would show other candidates that a fair bit of LABs support will not tolerate a swing to the right of LK proportions
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    If I heard right, if it is a yes vote in Greece, then Tspiras will quit
  • Options

and call a snap election.

Wonder what happens if he wins that?
  • Options
    Does Greece have enough time to have a snap election after the referendum? Just how long can it go on without agreement?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Sean is a Kipper, he wants what is worst for the Tory Party, so he's giving the best advice to Labour.

They should heed it.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Wonderful visual reference - should be used in textbooks for years to come.

Incidentally, as much as I hate to admit it having argued against the theory repeatedly, it does rather prove OGH's posts about the significance of the 2010LDs to the Labour strategy. Indeed, other electoral moves were perhaps masked by it. I think he was bang on to highlight their importance, and the result of the election not as disproportionately different to what he proposed. Only by misjudging the extent of the LD failure in the South, and the slightly more complex reality of the LD splits to all parties was the result so far from his predictions. Unlucky, Mike. I still think your analysis is generally far more insightful than almost all regularly posting pundits!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I still find it puzzling that it's taken as a given that Kendall would give Labour their best chance of winning, when a poll of the ACTUAL public (rather than the public of Tory commentariat's fantasies) put Andy a way ahead of her last week.
  • Options
    So the Eurocrats have driven out centrist governments in Greece and now want to drive out a radical left government....are they willing a Golden Dawn victory?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Does Greece have enough time to have a snap election after the referendum? Just how long can it go on without agreement?

Sadly my Greek is rubbish, but from the tone of the interpreter, it is Tspiras that will quit rather than the government.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Scott_P said:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

My prefs too, and for Deputy, LD leader and Mayoral candidate. Well, actually, I'd prefer Ken stood again, just for the fun of seeing him defeated 3 times in a row.

Would just like to clarify I am not a senior tory!

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Cyclefree said:

FPT (and in response to Stodge - and how I hate it when a New Thread pops up the minute "Post Comment" has been pressed!)

Of the countries you list, one of the wealthiest is Saudi Arabia. And it is notable for how many of those who perpetrate atrocities come from there, including - for instance - the suicide bomber who blew himself up in Kuwait a few days ago. It is also notable as being the country which has funded many of the madrassahs and other institutions which perpetuate the ideology behind IS, Al Qaeda and the rest. And there have been even more serious allegations made against some of its wealthiest citizens.

Many of the terrorists, far from being poor and hopeless, are well educated and wealthy and, apparently, integrated into a Western lifestyle.

While it is a good thing to make poor countries richer, if the effect of, say, an education system funded by the Saudis is to create people who despise the West, think that there should be no freedom of religion and that women are third class citizens, then spreading the wealth will do no good at all. What's more people want - and need - something more than money. It is necessary for a worthwhile life. It is not sufficient. There is more to life than getting and spending. Islam provides a belief system. It is a failing in Western analyses which see everything through economics and only that to fail to understand that people can have other drivers and motivations. Western analysis often forgets its own bloody religious history, indeed its own religion and tends, therefore, to underestimate or misunderstand completely the mindset of people who have a culture where religion is not some add-on but is central to everyday life.

Rather than encourage Saudi Arabia to spread its ideology I would be doing quite the opposite. I do not regard it as an ally in any meaningful sense. Its values are wholly antithetical to Western values and its role in spreading Wahabi-Islam has been utterly malign. To give a small example: IS has said that it wants to destroy all evidence of any cultures or civilizations other than Islam in the areas it controls. The chief Saudi cleric takes exactly the same view. One may do it with violence and the other only say it. But in essence they want the same thing.

Were not most of the perps of 9/11 Saudi nationals?

• Options
    There's an odd parallel now between the Scottish independence referendum and the Greek Euro referendum. The Scottish government claimed that the UK government didn't really mean it when it said that it wouldn't allow Scotland to share the pound and the Greek government is claiming that the EU doesn't really mean it when it says that a No vote will result in Greece leaving the Euro.

I don't see how the EU could back down from moving towards ejecting Greece from the Eurozone in the event of a No vote. They'd lose all credibility.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

It was tongue in cheek, but it would be hard not to admire. It would be like the defiance of the British Army at Albuhera.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I still find it puzzling that it's taken as a given that Kendall would give Labour their best chance of winning, when a poll of the ACTUAL public (rather than the public of Tory commentariat's fantasies) put Andy a way ahead of her last week.

After May 7th results, I will be going with my instincts rather than polls from now on.

• Options
    antifrank said:

There's an odd parallel now between the Scottish independence referendum and the Greek Euro referendum. The Scottish government claimed that the UK government didn't really mean it when it said that it wouldn't allow Scotland to share the pound and the Greek government is claiming that the EU doesn't really mean it when it says that a No vote will result in Greece leaving the Euro.

I don't see how the EU could back down from moving towards ejecting Greece from the Eurozone in the event of a No vote. They'd lose all credibility.

The Greeks are also mimicking the SNP by claiming they have legal advice that it can't be done...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

So the Eurocrats have driven out centrist governments in Greece and now want to drive out a radical left government....are they willing a Golden Dawn victory?
    I wonder what they'd make of a Golden Dawn government.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

It was tongue in cheek, but it would be hard not to admire. It would be like the defiance of the British Army at Albuhera.
    Not the charge of the Light (in the head) Brigade?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094

antifrank said:

£3 well spent
    +1.. Corbyn for leader, Watson for deputy...

Mind you none of the options are going to be supported by all labour members..
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    I'm probably over strategising this, but I can see an argument for Burnham supporters to vote for Kendall. Here goes - it is expected that Kendall's 2nd prefs would break for Cooper but Cooper's 2nd prefs would be split more evenly between Kendall and Burnham. Therefore it would be better for Burnham if Kendall makes it into the final two. Therefore, vote Liz to get Andy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

antifrank said:

The Greeks are also mimicking the SNP by claiming they have legal advice that it can't be done...
    Unfortunately they have no money to try and keep it secret.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2015

antifrank said:

£3 well spent
    Actually they claim to have some controls in place to stop Tories signing up. Would be interesting to see if they work.
    I can vouch for the fact that they don't. Maybe I'm stealthier than I thought.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Danny565 said:

I think that this is a calculation based on assumed trajectories of Labour under each possible leader, and the size of portion of the voter base that each might attack. The general polling is of limited use at the moment as it reflects things like name recognition. The calculus of "who will be better/worse" should probably not overweight such a temporary factor.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

After May 7th results, I will be going with my instincts rather than polls from now on.

Well, Burnham had an 11% lead over Kendall, which was much bigger than any Labour leads in the pre-election polls.
  • Options
    John_M said:

antifrank said:

£3 well spent
    I can vouch for the fact that they don't. Maybe I'm stealthier than I thought.
    You have to put your occupation as "PB Tory".... Then they might weed you out.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,167
    edited June 2015
    Scott_P said:

@afneil: Varoufakis to @Telegraph: Taking advice. Considering injunction European Court of Justice. EU treaties = no way for € exit. Not negotiable.

Richard Tyndall was kind enough to provide a link to a legal study from the Noughties. It was a bit dated, but it was quite definite that you can't eject them legally. However, it also alluded to practices which, when combined with some informed speculation total guesswork on my part, leads me to think that:

* they can temporarily suspend Greece ("temporary" of course is "infinity minus one second")
    * they can note, but not count, Greece's vote
    * they can refuse liquidity to Greek banks
    * they can meet in another room as an ad-hoc group and deny Greece access to that room
    * they can remove the licence of the Bank of Greece to print Euros
    * they can remove Greek bank access to Target2, and all the other settlement/transfer systems which I don't pretend to understand

Ultimately, they can simply dissolve the Eurozone and reconstitute itself as an enhanced cooperation body sans Greece. Push them hard enough and they can push back.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

They've driven out governments before, granted, but as much as I dislike the Eurocrats, it does appear Greece has demanded a lot and not given very much in return for a very long time, and they are not obliged to give in, they are nominally responsible to everyone else in Europe not just the Greeks.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Danny565 said:

I think that this is a calculation based on assumed trajectories of Labour under each possible leader, and the size of portion of the voter base that each might attack. The general polling is of limited use at the moment as it reflects things like name recognition. The calculus of "who will be better/worse" should probably not overweight such a temporary factor.
    But Blair and Cameron were miles ahead in public polling by this point, despite the fact they (Cameron especially) were not very well-known before the contest. If the public were crying out for Labour to go back to the "centreground", it should surely be showing up in the polling by now, especially after her rapturous media coverage.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Fascinating diagram by Mr Baxter. – The LD crutch appears to have had at least five legs.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Salmond and Varoufakis are both trained economists. They think the world runs by rules, those rules are fixed, and they can game the system. They are both wrong.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    The Greek government is essentially saying to the voters that the Eurocrats are full of BS, so let's call their bluff. It all hinges on whether people think No really does mean Out (of the Euro). Sounds like a good case study for Game Theory...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

But Blair and Cameron were miles ahead in public polling by this point, despite the fact they (Cameron especially) were not very well-known before the contest. If the public were crying out for Labour to go back to the "centreground", it should surely be showing up in the polling by now, especially after her rapturous media coverage.
    "Especially after her rapturous media coverage"?

I think you're trapped in a great big bubble, lad. The internet often does that kind of thing.

Ask 100 randomly selected people whether they recognise the candidates or know anything about them. Most people really do not have much clue about something as wonky as an opposition party's internal shuffle-about.

Face it, the fact you can even recognise all four of them and know their names makes you a bit of a weirdo, in national terms. The fact you not only know of them, but actually have opinions on all four of them makes you a fully-qualified weirdo.

Nowt wrong with being a fully-qualified weirdo, but we do like to cluster, and sometimes we forget just how weird we are.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

The Greek government is essentially saying to the voters that the Eurocrats are full of BS, so let's call their bluff. It all hinges on whether people think No really does mean Out (of the Euro). Sounds like a good case study for Game Theory...

This really jumped out at me from this BBC article:
    Athens resident Ilia Iatrou says the situation is "unbearable".

"My mother-in-law queued up for over an hour at the cash point just to be able to withdraw a small amount of money.

"I haven't tried to go to the cash machine myself, as we don't have much money left.

"My neighbours and I have now resorted to a sort of barter system among ourselves because we have no money left.

"We can't take any more of this, so we have to keep saying no to the EU masters.

"The EU can't afford to let us fail so we should continue to say no and they will blink and give us a better deal."
    Dangerous stuff in a high-stakes game, and I'm not sure everybody knows what game they're playing. Which adds to the risk they'll all lose.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,225
    Mortimer/OGH Yet Burnham leads the polls with the people who count, not Senior Tories, but voters
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Richard Tyndall was kind enough to provide a link to a legal study from the Noughties. It was a bit dated, but it was quite definite that you can't eject them legally. However, it also alluded to practices which, when combined with some informed speculation total guesswork on my part, leads me to think that:

* they can temporarily suspend Greece ("temporary" of course is "infinity minus one second")
    * they can meet in another room as an ad-hoc group and deny Greece access to that room
    * they can remove Greek bank access to Target2, and all the other settlement/transfer systems which I don't pretend to understand

Ultimately, they can simply dissolve the Eurozone and reconstitute itself as an enhanced cooperation body sans Greece. Push them hard enough and they can push back.

One thing we know about the EU is that there are no rules.
    They can simply abolish them and make new ones.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dan Hodges piece about Janner is a bit, um... something or other.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Trump's presidential campaign is making progress...

"US TV network NBC fires Donald Trump over Mexico comments"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33321290

He is making progress, now he's only 2% behind Jeb Bush.
    Though Huckabee has stormed in the lead on the back of gay marriage.

http://polling.reuters.com/#!response/TR130/type/smallest/filters/LIKELY_PRIMARY15:1,LIKELYR:1,PARTY_ID_:2/dates/20150601-20150629/collapsed/false

Top 10 (who will be on the TV debates) so far:

Huckabee
    Bush
    Trump
    Carson
    Walker
    Rubio
    Paul
    Cruz
    Perry
    Jindal or Fiorina
  • Options
    Speedy said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

One thing we know about the EU is that there are no rules.
    They can simply abolish them and make new ones.
    Telling lawmakers "you can't, it's illegal" is like telling fish "you can't, it's wet"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,289
    antifrank said:

The parallel could extend further in that the Greeks could vote Yes and then re-elect Syriza in the resulting snap election. If the perception is that the real power is with the 'adults' in the EU/ECB/IMF then it gives more leeway to elect children at home.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
  • Options

Fascinating diagram by Mr Baxter. – The LD crutch appears to have had at least five legs.

It's a classic example of a party collapse, when it happens it splinters heavily in all directions, I have seen it in exit polls before in other countries.
    A recovery after such an event usually never happens as it's impossible to glue together the formal coalition of voters by either moving in one direction or the other or simply staying still.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    My main lessons from this chart:

- Defections from Labour to UKIP in earnest are still to come
    - The Liberal Democrats have an impossible job winning back support, due to losing it in all directions
    - The scale of anti-austerity Lib Dems defecting to Labour makes it very hard to become a fiscally prudent party again
    - The Conservatives are becoming a less eurosceptic party
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Not sure if this has been posted on here before, but this document (pdf) is an interesting read.

It's a 2009 paper by the European Commission's DG ECFIN, entitled "The euro: It can’t happen. It’s a bad idea. It won’t last. US economists on the EMU, 1989 - 2002".

It is a celebration of ten years of the euro that cocks a snoop at all the economic nay-sayers, explaining how the success of the euro has demolished their criticisms. I find particularly poignant the smug section in the middle on how US economists misunderstood the role of political integration. The Yanks fell into two camps: those who miscalculated the political costs of pooled sovereignty necessary for monetary union, and thought it would be too high to make the euro worthwhile, and those who believed there was a political will for ever-closer union that would drive EMU but as part of a wider, deeper process of integration. None of the shortsighted American idiots - misled by their own experience of a successful currency union with deep fiscal and political union - had considered that the Euro could be a runaway success story without the need for further integration.

Ahem.

And then we come to the press release of 22 June,

Today, the five Presidents – European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, together with the President of the Euro Summit, Donald Tusk, the President of the Eurogroup, Jeroen Dijsselbloem, the President of the European Central Bank, Mario Draghi, and the President of the European Parliament, Martin Schulz – have revealed ambitious plans on how to deepen the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) as of 1 July 2015 and how to complete it by latest 2025. To turn their vision for the future of EMU into reality, they put forward concrete measures to be implemented during three Stages: while some of the actions need to be frontloaded already in the coming years, such as introducing a European Deposit Insurance Scheme, others go further as regards sharing of sovereignty among the Member States that have the euro as their currency, such as creating a future euro area treasury. This is part of the Five Presidents’ vision according to which the focus needs to move beyond rules to institutions in order to guarantee a rock-solid and transparent architecture of EMU. Delivering a Deeper and Fairer Economic and Monetary Union has been one of the top 10 priorities of President Juncker in his Political Guidelines.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,533
    The rest of the EZ can exclude Greece from the operation of the ECB. In fact they really should have done so already. So they can exclude Greek Banks, including the Bank of Greece from having access to more Euros simply by saying that they are no longer providing adequate security, which, of course, they are not. Once Greece defaults tomorrow it is game over.

Of course this will not stop the Greeks from continuing to use the Euro as their domestic currency in the same way as Panama does for the dollar. This is another similarity to the sort of nonsense that we used to get from the SNP who pointed out that they could continue to use the pound in the same way.

But Greece will cease to be a member of the Euro system as of tomorrow when the current funding arrangements run out. It really doesn't matter how they vote just like the SNP supporters claimed that their votes could somehow determine what rUK would do with their currency. Once they are no longer members they will have no access to further borrowing from the ECB. As a country in default they will have no access to the market either. They are going to run out of money in a serious way fairly quickly.

So do they go down the dollarization route or the new currency route? Neither is attractive without IMF emergency funding. I would not rule out the EZ providing some emergency funding simply to stop or slow down the tide of refugees they are otherwise likely to suffer from (as are we).

It is rather difficult to think of a worst outcome that the Greeks have achieved. If they think this is the best outcome in terms of game theory I can only presume some of the other outcomes involved a nuclear strike.
  • Options
    JEO If EUref is a narrow In the Tories will also need to start worrying about losing voters to UKIP
  • Options
    JEO Many of those voters voted for Kinnock in 1992, they still voted for Blair in 1997
  • Options
    Felix Farron is far more likely to win back Labour tactical voters than Lamb, this 'savvy Tory' sounds like the 'savvy Tories' who were briefing only Jim Murphy could save Labour at the general election in Scotland
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    DavidL said:

The rest of the EZ can exclude Greece from the operation of the ECB. In fact they really should have done so already. So they can exclude Greek Banks, including the Bank of Greece from having access to more Euros simply by saying that they are no longer providing adequate security, which, of course, they are not. Once Greece defaults tomorrow it is game over.

Of course this will not stop the Greeks from continuing to use the Euro as their domestic currency in the same way as Panama does for the dollar. This is another similarity to the sort of nonsense that we used to get from the SNP who pointed out that they could continue to use the pound in the same way.

But Greece will cease to be a member of the Euro system as of tomorrow when the current funding arrangements run out. It really doesn't matter how they vote just like the SNP supporters claimed that their votes could somehow determine what rUK would do with their currency. Once they are no longer members they will have no access to further borrowing from the ECB. As a country in default they will have no access to the market either. They are going to run out of money in a serious way fairly quickly.

So do they go down the dollarization route or the new currency route? Neither is attractive without IMF emergency funding. I would not rule out the EZ providing some emergency funding simply to stop or slow down the tide of refugees they are otherwise likely to suffer from (as are we).

It is rather difficult to think of a worst outcome that the Greeks have achieved. If they think this is the best outcome in terms of game theory I can only presume some of the other outcomes involved a nuclear strike.

Not a chance, the EU will do a deal, fudge so it looks like they haven't, Greece will stay in the Euro and they all live happily ever after.
  • Options

It is a celebration of ten years of the euro that cocks a snoop

Should be "snook", obviously, but otherwise a grammatically and orthographically correct typo...

• Options
    antifrank Except Burnham leads on every poll of the public taken so far
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Interesting ....

So the Greeks vote no and they default and probably have to then print own currency and as good as depart euro

Greeks vote yes, government resigns new elections held but before that they go bust print their own currency and as good as deprt euro

Meanwhile Italy and others warn Greece if they vote no they are out of the Euro

Is there anyway they can stay in at this point??? Anything they can do?? At all?
  • Options
    Don't forget in 2001 Blair and Campbell were briefing it was Portillo they most feared, as Blair's memoirs make clear it was actually Clarke
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,533
    Moses_ said:

Interesting ....

So the Greeks vote no and they default and probably have to then print own currency and as good as depart euro

Greeks vote yes, government resigns new elections held but before that they go bust print their own currency and as good as deprt euro

Meanwhile Italy and others warn Greece if they vote no they are out of the Euro

Is there anyway they can stay in at this point??? Anything they can do?? At all?
    I have been saying this for a couple of days now. Almost hour by hour more bridges are burnt. There are few left and they are somewhat rickety and unstable. Tomorrow is key. If they fall out permanently with the IMF there really is no way back.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

antifrank Except Burnham leads on every poll of the public taken so far

Bless.
  • Options
    This is against all laws of God & nature.

Australia and New Zealand will meet in cricket's first day-night Test match later this year.

http://bbc.in/1GLlGmh
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,289
    HYUFD said:

Don't forget in 2001 Blair and Campbell were briefing it was Portillo they most feared, as Blair's memoirs make clear it was actually Clarke

True but that could have been deduced at the time. There's no-one in the current Labour contest with Clarke's level of experience in government or with a profile that transcends the party on a key political issue.
  • Options

This is against all laws of God & nature.

Australia and New Zealand will meet in cricket's first day-night Test match later this year.

http://bbc.in/1GLlGmh

Frankly those nations that don't allow enough flexibility in making up for lost time should be doing that before this...this abomination!

Although, granted, I would actually be able to watch more cricket if it was day night.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    @DavidL - Once Greece defaults tomorrow it is game over.

Tspiras has stated tonight they don't have the 1.5 billion to pay to the IMF tomorrow so game over. His financial ministerial adviser stated that they will see what happens in the morning.

Is there a time it has to be paid like 1200 CET or simply before midnight on due date?
  • Options
    TSE Well Labour might care to take note this time considering David Miliband led on every poll of the public in 2010 yet they (or the union members) still picked Ed
This discussion has been closed.