Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Greece is the word for the next few days

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Greece is the word for the next few days

It will be a case of this referendum dominating events for the eight days at least, and undoubtedly longer, it appears that Alexis Tsipras is trying to give their creditors a Grecian Burn, how will they respond?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Tsipras is so great at trolling the other Eurozone leaders.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Hard to see what good can come of this referendum:

- If it's a Yes to the bailout, the government will presumably have to resign, leaving a void when urgent action is essential

- If it's a No, then default surely follows as night follows day.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    The vote is to accept the deal and let Syrizia off the hook, by accepting the IMF deal.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    edited June 2015
    Is it wrong that I'm feeling unbearably smug at "Grecian Burn"?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    viewcode said:

OK, initial questions

1. Can the Greek state actually organise a referendum by July 5th? That's ten days away and they're not first world in organisation.
    2. What is the question?
    3. If they vote No, will somebody in the ECB grow a pair and kick them off the roof? Or are we going to be treated to more scrawls from Varoufakis's Big Coloring Book again?

1. Extremely impressive if so. There's also the small matter of Can the Greek state actually fund a referendum to be held on July 5th? I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to either question is No.

2. Good question, and remains to be seen apparently. Indeed, with the Eurozone Finance Ministers meeting tomorrow, no-one even knows what the deal on the table is, not even considering the other players in the game.

3. You would hope so. Moral hazard and pour encourager les autres and all that.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,847

Is it wrong that I'm feeling unbearably smug at "Grecian Burn"?

It's the way you tell them
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Well at least the Greeks cannot complain they had no say in determining their fate
  • Options

- If it's a Yes to the bailout, the government will presumably have to resign, leaving a void when urgent action is essential

You have to assume that the Greek govt doesn't want it to come to that but that the IMF will climb down first.

My (now delayed) piece for tomorrow had a comparison with the descent into WWI which is probably even more apt now. There are too many intransigents feeling that they have more to lose from backing down than from going to the brink, partly because they believe the other side will fold and partly because they believe there is a matter of credibility involved.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Tsipras is so great at trolling the other Eurozone leaders.

Unfortunately his peregrinations are costing money. IMF don't come for free

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    In the absence of a no-win option, Tsipras feels that it's best to leave the Greek electorate to decide, so that the responsibility for that choice lies with alone. Quite a canny political operator.

I suspect that he's reconciled to default, aware that the Greek electorate are unlikely to accept the austerity package on the table, but wants to be seen to be managing their decision to default rather than instigating it.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Over the years I have read some really unusual threads on PB but I just have to say with Tunisia and BJO this truly had to be the most extraordinary thread I have ever read here.

Glad it turned out well at least for BJO and family....
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I think foxinsoxuk is right when he says that Tsipras will campaign for a yes in order to accept the deal and not kill Syriza in the process. A great pity from my POV, but there y'go.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

In the absence of a no-win option, Tsipras feels that it's best to leave the Greek electorate to decide, so that the responsibility for that choice lies with alone. Quite a canny political operator.

I suspect that he's reconciled to default, aware that the Greek electorate are unlikely to accept the austerity package on the table, but wants to be seen to be managing their decision to default rather than instigating it.

sorry, that should have been "Faced with only no-win options...."
  • Options
    This seems to be a mistake by Tsipras. The risk was that external forces would have been seen to deliver the death blow to Greece. Yet they have been handed the hemlock by their own Government and will surely drink it of their own volition.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    viewcode said:

I think foxinsoxuk is right when he says that Tsipras will campaign for a yes in order to accept the deal and not kill Syriza in the process. A great pity from my POV, but there y'go.
    I think that Syrizia will feign neutrality.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I think that Syrizia will feign neutrality.
    Syriza feign something? Heaven forfend!...:-)
  • Options

viewcode said:

OK, initial questions

1. Can the Greek state actually organise a referendum by July 5th? That's ten days away and they're not first world in organisation.
    2. What is the question?
    3. If they vote No, will somebody in the ECB grow a pair and kick them off the roof? Or are we going to be treated to more scrawls from Varoufakis's Big Coloring Book again?

1. Extremely impressive if so. There's also the small matter of Can the Greek state actually fund a referendum to be held on July 5th? I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to either question is No.

2. Good question, and remains to be seen apparently. Indeed, with the Eurozone Finance Ministers meeting tomorrow, no-one even knows what the deal on the table is, not even considering the other players in the game.

It would be rather ironic if the Greeks had to ask for a bung to pay for a referendum where the Greeks are asked if they want to take another bung.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Do they have the time before the money runs out?
  • Options

viewcode said:

OK, initial questions

2. What is the question?

Thank you.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Campaigning for Yes would split his party, though only in the manner of MacDonald's National Labour and Henderson's continuity Labour, with National Syriza going the way of Pasok. Nor is it credible that he could stay neutral on the question.

This smacks of a half-baked student politician stunt which has a very great capacity to go wrong and a small chance of someone else pulling the Greek government's irons out of the fire.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

That depends on the ECB probably, though it'd be politically difficult to withdraw support for the Greek banks before the vote.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2015
    FPT

That is completely false. The legal grounds for this are crystal clear and dozens of other courts had already made the same ruling. The 14th Amendment gives equal protection. That is clear.

Other cases like Loving v Virginia had decades ago settled that marriage is a right and this equal protection apples. Today's decision was the inevitable, legal and logical conclusion of that.

The decision in Obergefell v Hodges is principally justified by reference to the due process clause, not the equal protection clause of the fourteenth amendment, although some attempt is made by the majority to justify the decision by reference to the latter (see the judgment of Kennedy J, at pp. 19-21 of the slip opinion). As the Chief Justice observes, the majority's fleeting reference to equal protection is incoherent and contrary to principle and precedent (see pp. 23-24 of the dissenting judgment).

Loving v Virginia and related cases offer no support for the majority's position, since they concerned statutory restrictions adopted by a state restricting the ambit of marriage at common law and/or criminal penalties for entering into marriage. Obergefell v Hodges is an attempt to change the definition of marriage itself, and is in a different league. As the Chief Justice observes at pp. 20-21 of the slip opinion, the logic of the majority's argument is that there is a constitutional right to polygamy.

That leaves the only basis for the majority's decision as "substantive due process", a doctrine which is either wrong in principle or to be narrowly construed. The majority's approach is plainly inconsistent with the leading modern authority, Washington v Glucksberg
    521 US 702. It requires that the fundamental liberty claimed to be protected by the due process clause to be "objectively, deeply rooted in this Nation's history and tradition". That obviously has no application in the present case.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

The vote is to accept the deal and let Syrizia off the hook, by accepting the IMF deal.

Presumably. Why else permit the public to approve a deal syrizia clearly does not want or is unable to get through a parliamentary vote.

Either he knows he has to do it, but cannot get it through his own party, or he can get it through but is putting it to the public anyway to provide political cover, as if he just didn't want to do it they could just refuse the deal safe in the knowledge that would be true to what their voters asked of them, it would seem.

Night all.
  • Options

antifrank said:

That depends on the ECB probably, though it'd be politically difficult to withdraw support for the Greek banks before the vote.
    It'd be funny, tho'....:-)

• Options
    kle4 said:

Presumably. Why else permit the public to approve a deal syrizia clearly does not want or is unable to get through a parliamentary vote.

Either he knows he has to do it, but cannot get it through his own party, or he can get it through but is putting it to the public anyway to provide political cover, as if he just didn't want to do it they could just refuse the deal safe in the knowledge that would be true to what their voters asked of them, it would seem.

Night all.
    It seems to me rather more that he's asking the Greek public to back the government's position than the other way round.
  • Options

...This smacks of a half-baked student politician stunt which has a very great capacity to go wrong...

Syriza's modus operandi, in other words...:-)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    Alexis Tsipras = Leonidas
    IMF = Xerxes

IMF Messenger: Choose your next words carefully, Mr. Tsipras. They may be your last as Greek PM.

Alexis Tsipras: [to himself: thinking] "Earth and water"?
    [Tsipras unsheathes and points his sword at the IMF Messenger's throat]

IMF Messenger: Madman! You're a madman!

Alexis Tsipras: Earth and water? You'll find plenty of both down there.
    [referring to the well]

IMF Messenger: No man, German or Greek, no man threatens a messenger!

Alexis Tsipras: You bring the ashes and ruins of conquered economies to Athens' city steps. You insult my wife. You threaten my people with slavery and death! Oh, I've chosen my words carefully, Bankster. Perhaps you should have done the same!

IMF Messenger: This is blasphemy! This is madness!

Alexis Tsipras: Madness...? This is SYRIZA!
    [kicks the IMF Messenger down the well]
  • Options
    Alexis Tsipras thinks of himself as Leonidas but looks more like Godiva.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited June 2015

kle4 said:

Night all.
    It seems to me rather more that he's asking the Greek public to back the government's position than the other way round.
    He wouldn't feel the need to ask their permission on this specific issue unless the government position was to be something he didn't initially want to do and which the voters had not therefore previously indicated they would accept was what I meant to say I suspect. He is probably changing position but wants cover of a referendum to do if, which is fair enough politically so long as he is not disengenuous about what outcome he wants and if that is a reversal in some measure from pre election rhetoric.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Night all.
    So he's recommendng a "no" vote? What will he do if they vote "yes"? Conversely, what will he do if they vote "no"?

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited June 2015
    al-Qayrwani, one of the blokes reportedly behind the attack in Tunisia today looks to be an ISIS devotee.

On topic, can Greece afford to have a vote? Does anyone have an idea will the public decide to swallow the medicine?
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

al-Qayrwani, one of the blokes reportedly behind the attack in Tunisia today looks to be an ISIS devotee.

On topic, can Greece afford to have a vote? Does anyone have an idea will the public decide to swallow the medicine?

Pensions one is a difficult ask. A Greek pensioner on the news a couple of days ago had his children and their children under the same roof. He was the only " breadwinner" in the whole family all of whom were out of work. He was far from happy about any possibility of a pension reduction and inferred he was not the only one by far.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    antifrank said:

Alexis Tsipras thinks of himself as Leonidas but looks more like Godiva.

"Then we'll fight in the shade!"

:)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    I seem to recall a former Greek PM making a similarly odd announcement of a snap referendum to sort this whole sorry saga out at the ballot box, with similarly ridiculous pique and timing. I seem to recall the vote never took place because he was almost instantly removed from power.

I'm not convinced this referendum is a certainty to take place. The organisational, timing, and "what on earth does the ballot even list as options" issues are just the start of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Merkel is probably wishing she could somehow also hold a referendum to absolve herself of responsibility for whatever happens regarding the Greek situation.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    viewcode said:

So he's recommendng a "no" vote? What will he do if they vote "yes"? Conversely, what will he do if they vote "no"?

Public vote YES - Tsipiras resigns, and lets some other government take the hit in government popularity for the continuing austerity.
    Public vote NO - Tsipiras cr@ps himself.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    viewcode If the vote Yes he will obviously resign and call new elections, if they vote no then Grexit becomes inevitable but he may have saved Greece or at least it to decide its own destiny and the right to resolve its own mess
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Night all.
    He wouldn't feel the need to ask their permission on this specific issue unless the government position was to be something he didn't initially want to do and which the voters had not therefore previously indicated they would accept was what I meant to say I suspect. He is probably changing position but wants cover of a referendum to do if, which is fair enough politically so long as he is not disengenuous about what outcome he wants and if that is a reversal in some measure from pre election rhetoric.
    I disagree. I think he's trying to put pressure on the IMF and Eurozone creditors to reduce their demands. There've been plenty of talking heads on the media, from ordinary people to government spokesmen, who've taken the view that because the country has voted for something then they therefore should have it. This is out of that same book, though I expect that Tsipras would prefer the creditors to cave in before the vote for fear of what a No might actually do.

Syriza is not some middle-of-the-road social democratic party. The closest Britain has is the Stop The War coalition. If Tsipras recommended a Yes, his party and his government would fall apart (or possibly it would simply eject him).
  • Options
    The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Greek. This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny and usher in a future brighter than anything we can imagine. Give thanks, men, to Tsipras and the brave SYRIZA!

TO VICTORY!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Y0kel said:

Pensions one is a difficult ask. A Greek pensioner on the news a couple of days ago had his children and their children under the same roof. He was the only " breadwinner" in the whole family all of whom were out of work. He was far from happy about any possibility of a pension reduction and inferred he was not the only one by far.
    But a person in that situation has to take things seriously. With a heavy heart they may opt for an uncomfortable hard place rather than a catastrophic rock - what pension could he hope to support family on in the event of default and resulting disorder? The temptation to vote from a feeling of anger, betrayal or spite might be there, but on weighing things up, it'd be vote hos family might not be able to afford.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Summer votin', will the bailout get passed?
    Summer votin', happened so fast
    Met Mr Putin, crazy for me
    Met the troika, their terms no sirree
    Summer polls, drifting away
    But, oh, those summit nights

Well-a, well-a, well-a, uh!
    Tell me more, tell me more
    Did you get very far?
    Do we need the drachma?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Night all.
    So he's recommendng a "no" vote? What will he do if they vote "yes"?
    Resign his government probably - though as Syriza has an absolute majority, that would lead to a new general election.
    viewcode said:

Conversely, what will he do if they vote "no"?

I suspect he hopes to renegotiate off the back of a No in a stronger position with the country behind him. In reality, the creditors may simply decide enough's enough and let Greece go. In which case I'd give his government less than a month, after which it's a toss-up as to whether New Democracy could come in and act responsibly or whether it really goes disastrously wrong.

• Options
    Any thoughts and how the question will be phrased. We have months and months of arguments over a single word over here. How the Greeks are going to even get a phrase that the government can agree on in a few days is going to be very tricky.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Any thoughts and how the question will be phrased. We have months and months of arguments over a single word over here. How the Greeks are going to even get a phrase that the government can agree on in a few days is going to be very tricky.

"Unless I miss my guess, we're in for one wild night."
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Seems clear that Tsipras will recommend a "No" - if the consequences are grim, he can say well, that's what you explicitly voted for. In the circumstances, I'd expect a big No vote (65%?) - no time for support for the EU package to mobilise. He'll then go back and say "This is what the Greek people say, are you going to kick them in the teeth?" If the answer is essentially "Yes", we have Grexit by popular assent.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

I thought of you when John O was having his ordeal.

What are people in his situation meant to do? Barricade the door, avoid windows and put phone on silent are the obvious thing.

But for instance, how to know whether the "security forces" man who has come to check up on you is for real and should be acknowledged, or is someone else to hide from? Similarly if reception call through to your room, is the risk of this being attackers trying to locate any survivors to kill or take hostage so great that it is best to let it ring out unanswered?
  • Options
    DH Yes there will be new elections and he will resign, if a No he will have a renewed mandate and even if Grexit the Greeks themselves will have accepted that risk, Tsipras will continue in power with the Greeks behind him, but it will be up to him to sort out the country's economic mess, the rest of the Eurozone will likely wash their hands of it
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Merkel is probably wishing she could somehow also hold a referendum to absolve herself of responsibility for whatever happens regarding the Greek situation.
    I wish somebody - anybody - would take a decision, stick to it, and walk away if the others disagreed. This f****** around is doing my head in

• Options

Did you get very far?
    Do we need the drachma?

Tsipras' visit to Putin was evidence to me that he *wasn't* serious about seeking alternative, unorthodox funding sources. Again, he was simply trying to spook the creditors into reducing their terms. Russia itself has no great excess of money at the moment. Were Tsipras really out with the begging bowl, he'd have gone to Beijing or the Middle East.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode If the vote Yes he will obviously resign and call new elections, if they vote no then Grexit becomes inevitable but he may have saved Greece or at least it to decide its own destiny and the right to resolve its own mess

If he wanted to let Greece decide it's own destiny, he could have done that ten minutes ago by actually making a decision.

• Options
    Well the bank runs have started by the look of things....

Daily Telegraph

It's 2am in Greece, which isn't late enough for people to start scrambling for their nearest cash machines as doubt grows that banks will be able to open on Monday
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Night all.
    I disagree. I think he's trying to put pressure on the IMF and Eurozone creditors to reduce their demands. There've been plenty of talking heads on the media, from ordinary people to government spokesmen, who've taken the view that because the country has voted for something then they therefore should have it. This is out of that same book, though I expect that Tsipras would prefer the creditors to cave in before the vote for fear of what a No might actually do.

Syriza is not some middle-of-the-road social democratic party. The closest Britain has is the Stop The War coalition. If Tsipras recommended a Yes, his party and his government would fall apart (or possibly it would simply eject him).
    You might be right. Unfortunately

• Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Night all.
    Resign his government probably - though as Syriza has an absolute majority, that would lead to a new general election.

Memory - and just checked, wiki too - suggest Syriza is just short of absolute majority. 149 out of 300 apparently, unless there have been some defections since? Or MPs of other parties kicked out?

I'm sure your basic point holds, given the parliamentary arithmetic.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Sad news: a second person, Vicky Balch, has had to have a leg amputated following the crash on the Smiler ride at Alton Towers.
  • Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Night all.

Memory - and just checked, wiki too - suggest Syriza is just short of absolute majority. 149 out of 300 apparently, unless there have been some defections since? Or MPs of other parties kicked out?

My apologies, you're right: Tsipras' government has an absolute majority but it's as a result of support from ANEL, not on Syriza MPs alone, which as you say are in a minority of 2.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Saying "No" to an ultimatum is part of the Greek psyche.

They celebrate "No" day every October 28th with a public holiday to commemorate turning down Italy's ultimatum in 1940.
  • Options
    viewcode If he has to accept more bailouts and more conditions then it is best he has a direct mandate for the terms offered
  • Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Night all.

"It's been more than thirty years since the wolf and the winter cold. And now, as then, it is not fear that grips him, only restlessness. A heightened sense of things. The seaborn breeze, coolly, kissing the sweat at his chest and neck. Gulls cawing, complaining, even as they feast on the thousands of floating dead. The steady breathing of the 300 at his back, ready to die for him without a moment's pause. Everyone of them ready, to die."
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2015
    AndyJS said:

Sad news: a second person, Vicky Balch, has had to have a leg amputated following the crash on the Smiler ride at Alton Towers.

Owing to the perverse judgment of Mann J in Gulati v Mirror Group Newspapers [2015] EWHC 1482 (Ch), she may well end up receiving a fraction of the sum of damages that she would have received had the theme park hacked her mobile telephone.
  • Options
    So, to summarise:

* If Greece votes to reject the deal, then Tsipiras tells the Troika they want another deal and the deal is rejected
    * If Greece votes to accept the deal, then Tsipiras resigns and the deal is rejected because there is no government to accept it.

Oh, for f***'s sake...
  • Options
    AP: ISIS claim responsibility for the Tunisia attack.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    viewcode said:

So, to summarise:

* If Greece votes to reject the deal, then Tsipiras tells the Troika they want another deal and the deal is rejected
    * If Greece votes to accept the deal, then Tsipiras resigns and the deal is rejected because there is no government to accept it.

Oh, for f***'s sake...

"Children, gather round! No retreat, no surrender; that is SYRIZA law. And by SYRIZA law we will stand and fight... and die. A new age has begun. An age of freedom, and all will know, that 300 SYRIZAns gave their last breath to defend it!"
  • Options

Y0kel said:

What are people in his situation meant to do? Barricade the door, avoid windows and put phone on silent are the obvious thing.

But for instance, how to know whether the "security forces" man who has come to check up on you is for real and should be acknowledged, or is someone else to hide from? Similarly if reception call through to your room, is the risk of this being attackers trying to locate any survivors to kill or take hostage so great that it is best to let it ring out unanswered?
    Run, if you can.

If stuck in a room stay there, lock it, chain it, all noises off, assuming its blokes with guns and grenades then mattress to door would be handy. In most cases, these guys neither have time nor inclination to spend time chopping down doors. Silence and any defence or disruption against entry may well save you because its too much effort for them. Listening and looking out of a window are the best indications of whether an attack is still live. You ignore all instruction that you can't verify by sight or background sound and stay silent until you are sure its done. In most cases an after-sweep by security forces post-attack will be pretty straightforward to identify.

If they are determined to come in, most hotel rooms have a narrow entry point, they don't open out instantly thus the last resort is pick a seriously heavy object or seriously sharp, stay out of sight by the nearest room or wall just out sight of the door, but preferably along that narrow channel. If they come through the door start f**king swinging when they are on top of you.

If you can't run away, practically the only decent defence left against someone with a gun, particularly a longarm, when you don't have any firearm yourself, is to be on top them to restrict their ability to bring a gun to bear. If they are in a hotel room with you, you are next to certain to die if you do not attack.

• Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Night all.

My apologies, you're right: Tsipras' government has an absolute majority but it's as a result of support from ANEL, not on Syriza MPs alone, which as you say are in a minority of 2.
    I think you're right on broader points of the tactics here.

One point I don't understand is why they think this pressure is likely to be effective. What's happening in Greece is what game theorists call a one-shot game for the Greek government but not for their negotiating partners. (The BBC had an article on the game theory of the situation that didn't mention this, much to its detriment.) The EU can't cave in because Portugal is also tanking badly at the moment, and they can not afford to set a precedent that encourages brinkmanship and a "we voted for it so we have a right to it" attitude to concessions. And Portugal is simply the most pressing of several, of course.

The IMF can't cave in as Venezuela looms, with some difficulty discussions expected there as default also looks likely. Plus some IMF members like Brazil are miffed the IMF ever got involved with Greece at all. The IMF are not in a position to cut slack even if their leadership wanted to. At least the IMF have been more sympathetic/realistic on the debt load issue - in some way they're an unlikely ally of Syriza!

I get the impression Syriza have overestimated the room for manoeuvre of the people they're dealing with.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Run, if you can.

If stuck in a room stay there, lock it, chain it, all noises off, assuming its blokes with guns and grenades then mattress to door would be handy. In most cases, these guys neither have time nor inclination to spend time chopping down doors. Silence and any defence or disruption against entry may well save you because its too much effort for them. Listening and looking out of a window are the best indications of whether an attack is still live. You ignore all instruction that you can't verify by sight or background sound and stay silent until you are sure its done. In most cases an after-sweep by security forces post-attack will be pretty straightforward to identify.

If they are determined to come in, most hotel rooms have a narrow entry point, they don't open out instantly thus the last resort is pick a seriously heavy object or seriously sharp, stay out of sight by the nearest room or wall just out sight of the door, but preferably along that narrow channel. If they come through the door start f**king swinging when they are on top of you.

If you can't run away, practically the only decent defence left against someone with a gun, particularly a longarm, when you don't have any firearm yourself, is to be on top them to restrict their ability to bring a gun to bear. If they are in a hotel room with you, you are next to certain to die if you do not attack.

Much obliged. I hope it will never come in useful!

Presumably the silence instruction extends to not answering the phone if reception calls.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Run, if you can.

Presumably the silence instruction extends to not answering the phone if reception calls.
    Yep. Do not answer, the right people will come looking for you in due course.
  • Options

The IMF can't cave in as Venezuela looms, with some difficulty discussions expected there as default also looks likely. Plus some IMF members like Brazil are miffed the IMF ever got involved with Greece at all. The IMF are not in a position to cut slack even if their leadership wanted to. At least the IMF have been more sympathetic/realistic on the debt load issue - in some way they're an unlikely ally of Syriza!

I get the impression Syriza have overestimated the room for manoeuvre of the people they're dealing with.

"It's been more than thirty years since the wolf and the winter cold. And now, as then, a beast approaches; patient and confident, savoring the meal to come. This beast is made of men and horses, swords and spears. An army of slaves vast beyond imagining, ready to devour tiny Greece, ready to snuff out the world's one hope for reason and justice. A beast approaches!"
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Run, if you can.

Yep. Do not answer, the right people will come looking for you in due course.
    Thanks. One to remember.

Crazy, awful day.
  • Options
    Reuters

The Eurogroup ministers will meet at 2 p.m. (8:00 a.m. EDT) on Saturday and Greece will be asked whether it accepts a revised offer from the European Commission, the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund, a euro zone official said.

If Greece refuses, the ministers will move on to discussing a "Plan B" on preparing to limit the damage from a Greek default to Greek banks and other euro zone countries and markets, the official said.

Two senior EU officials involved in the discussions put the chances of an agreement at just over 50 percent.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    The BJO family are about to fly in to Doncaster.What a bad day seen many injured and 1 dead from our hotel. The hotel next door now reckons 40 fatalities. I suspect this is my last visit to Tunisia
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

The BJO family are about to fly in to Doncaster.What a bad day seen many injured and 1 dead from our hotel. The hotel next door now reckons 40 fatalities. I suspect this is my last visit to Tunisia

Glad you and yours are safe and well.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Glad you and yours are safe and well.
    Seconded.

(I tried writing a post 3 times but worried it would sound too glib so ended up deleting it each time.)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215

I am so very glad that you and yours are safe. Safe trip back.

RIP for all the victims - in Tunisia, in Kuwait and in France - and condolences to their family and friends.

• Options

Shocking story. Glad you are OK.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

kle4 said:

Night all.
    I disagree. Tsipras knows he has no choice but to take the money. He played it to the brink in the hopes that Europe would blink, but they did not, so he only has one choice, take the money.

He can't get it through parliament without losing half his party and relying on the opposition to help him win, which would kill him politically. He knows more than half the country wants to stay in the Euro no matter the cost, so he is doing the most logical, and politically savvy, thing.

The referendum will say yes to taking the money. Tsipras will then be able to do what he knows he must without paying the consequences of making the decision himself.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

Hope you make it back safely!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tsipras wants a Yes. It is the only way he gets to have a chance to stay in power.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

So, to summarise:

Oh, for f***'s sake...

Tsipras is not going to resign based on the outcome of the referendum. He wants a Yes, so he can do what he must. If it is a no, then he goes back to the Troika and starts negotiating again. If that yields nothing, he takes the money and places responsibility on the electorate.
  • Options

Glad you and yours are safe. Safe travels.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    *APPLAUSE*

Did you get very far?
    Do we need the drachma?

• Options

Sincerely glad that you are all safe and get yourself back to Blighty !
  • Options
    MTimT said:

viewcode said:

So, to summarise:

Oh, for f***'s sake...

Tsipras is not going to resign based on the outcome of the referendum. He wants a Yes, so he can do what he must. If it is a no, then he goes back to the Troika and starts negotiating again. If that yields nothing, he takes the money and places responsibility on the electorate.
    Reuters

The 40-year-old prime minister said he would respect the outcome of the vote. But he argued the lenders demands "clearly violate European social rules and fundamental rights", would asphyxiate Greece's flailing economy and aimed at the "humiliation of the entire Greek people".

Government ministers emerging from the cabinet meeting said they were confident Greeks would vote no and REJECT the bailout demands, leaving open the question as to whether the country had other options beside leaving the euro in such an event.

The referendum call also throws the country's tottering banking system into focus, though a deputy minister said there were no plans to impose capital controls and banks would open as normal on Monday.

"The risk of Grexit has increased considerably, from previously 20 percent to at least 50 percent," Wolfgango Piccoli of Teneo Intelligence said in a research note. "Avoiding capital controls next week will be very difficult, if not impossible."
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    If it takes Greece 5 days to set up a referendum, how long will it take David Cameron?

Cue for EU tanks to roll over borders of Greece before weekend. Whole thing looks like politician trying to cover his backside.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Old Holborn just posted photos of Greek Alpha Bank's cash machines which won't allow withdrawals.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

Night all.

I disagree. Tsipras knows he has no choice but to take the money. He played it to the brink in the hopes that Europe would blink, but they did not, so he only has one choice, take the money.

He can't get it through parliament without losing half his party and relying on the opposition to help him win, which would kill him politically. He knows more than half the country wants to stay in the Euro no matter the cost, so he is doing the most logical, and politically savvy, thing.

The referendum will say yes to taking the money. Tsipras will then be able to do what he knows he must without paying the consequences of making the decision himself.
    That is how a mainstream politician from a mainstream party would act but Syriza is not a mainstream party (indeed, it's barely a party at all, it's really an allied set of parties and pressure groups that only joined together for the 50-seat bonus), and Tsipras is not a mainstream politician, despite being slightly more sensible than some of his colleagues.

Everything Tsipras said yesterday indicates that he does believe he has a choice other than to take the money (and more to the point, accept the conditions that come with it): he believes that a renewed mandate will force the creditors to revise their terms. As MBE points out below, this belief is almost certainly mistaken but just because his logic is flawed (from that point of view) doesn't mean that he's not thinking it.

Robert Peston wrote a piece yesterday that concluded "So just maybe Greek bankers are right when they tell me that agreement will imminently be reached between Greece and its creditors - because the alternative is nightmarishly unthinkable." I disagree with both Peston and the Greek bankers (as I wrote last week). I think this one will go up to and beyond the brink. The reason is that Syriza believe that making the outcome of the process "nightmarishly unthinkable" will force the IMF and EU to change the process. I think they're deeply deluded. But then their starting position has been deeply deluded from the start.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Tsipras wants a Yes. It is the only way he gets to have a chance to stay in power.
    I don't think he is looking for a Yes, rather the reverse.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

Night all.

I disagree. Tsipras knows he has no choice but to take the money. He played it to the br

That is how a mainstream politician from a mainstream party would act but Syriza is not a mainstream party (indeed, it's barely a party at all, it's really an allied set of parties and pressure groups that only joined together for the 50-seat bonus), and Tsipras is not a mainstream politician, despite being slightly more sensible than some of his colleagues.

Everything Tsipras said yesterday indicates that he does believe he has a choice other than to take the money (and more to the point, accept the conditions that come with it): he believes that a renewed mandate will force the creditors to revise their terms. As MBE points out below, this belief is almost certainly mistaken but just because his logic is flawed (from that point of view) doesn't mean that he's not thinking it.

Robert Peston wrote a piece yesterday that concluded "So just maybe Greek bankers are right when they tell me that agreement will imminently be reached between Greece and its creditors - because the alternative is nightmarishly unthinkable." I disagree with both Peston and the Greek bankers (as I wrote last week). I think this one will go up to and beyond the brink. The reason is that Syriza believe that making the outcome of the process "nightmarishly unthinkable" will force the IMF and EU to change the process. I think they're deeply deluded. But then their starting position has been deeply deluded from the start.
    It's somewhat analogous to when a war breaks out, because each side underestimates the determination of the other. They think they can go right to the brink, and then they fall over it.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    MaybeTsipras believes in democracy.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Jonathan said:

A novel concept for the EU.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

What does that mean in practice? That if you vote to abolish the laws of gravity, we could all fly?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

I disagree. Tsipras knows he has no choice but to take the money. He played it to the br

It's somewhat analogous to when a war breaks out, because each side underestimates the determination of the other. They think they can go right to the brink, and then they fall over it.
    Completely agree. I wrote something along those lines back in 2012, prior to the June election, which ND won - just - but when a Syriza victory was looking entirely possible. This outcome has been likely for at least three years.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2012/05/19/will-greece-make-a-drachma-out-of-a-crisis/
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2015

Jonathan said:

What does that mean in practice? That if you vote to abolish the laws of gravity, we could all fly?
    Democracy is something unknown to the left in Britain. That's why they will never again be elected under a left wing ticket

According to Jonathan, its democratic if you win with 35.2% of the vote but unfair and undemocratic to get a majority with 37%

You therefore need to realise that in the world of the left Tory win=non democratic.... Labour win = democracy at work. ... will of the people etc etc
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

Smart move by Tsipras. The Greeks want to have their cake and eat it. So he's letting them vote instead of deciding himself and pissing off loads of them whatever he does.

I guess they'll vote to stay in. And delay the inevitable a little longer.

But if they do, the problem won't go away, it'll just be kicked down the road.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

King hell. Glad you are home safe.
  • Options
    @LadPolitics: Ladbrokes: odds-on that #Greece votes NO to bailout deal #referendum:
    1/3 NO to deal
    2/1 YES to deal
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Antifrank, thanks for that. Put a smidgen on Yes.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Gets elected to do X. Forced to negotiate Y. Has no mandate for Y, so puts it to the people. May end up doing Y or having to find a Z.

He's is going to need popular support regardless of X, Y or Z.

• Options

Jonathan said:

Democracy is something unknown to the left in Britain. That's why they will never again be elected under a left wing ticket

According to Jonathan, its democratic if you win with 35.2% of the vote but unfair and undemocratic to get a majority with 37%

You therefore need to realise that in the world of the left Tory win=non democratic.... Labour win = democracy at work. ... will of the people etc etc
    Aw bless. Just because I said the Tories weren't particularly popular.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    For all its problems, for all its ills, I am just so glad this country is the place I call home. When BJO touches down today with his family, he will feel a surge of emotion, a love even, for our rainy, argumentative, crotchety little island, and the safety and stability it delivers, that few of us have ever felt. From horror to glorious normality in four short hours. What sweet relief. Today - looking at this broken, dangerous world - I feel very lucky to live in the UK and to be British. We are a cup of tea, a digestive biscuit and an evening home in front of the telly. Right now that is so very comforting. Of course, we can make this country a lot better than it is. But we build from stronger foundations, on better land than almost everyone else. We all know that. Sometimes we forget. Today we should remember.