Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final spread levels on general election day had a CON l

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

Will this be before or after his magnum opus on AV we've all been promised? :D

Assuming there's no major news on Saturday night or Sunday, you get my opus on AV on Sunday.
    Grexit confirmed?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2015

Pinnacle, at one time the world largest sports betting site, pulled out of the UK at the end of the last year. They have since been sold and talk of them returning to take bets from UK citizens, but nothing as of yet.

Indeed, same with SBO and some of the maxbet providers. Agents make it easy to get around that though (ibc/maxbet an agent was already basically needed anyway)

Pinnacle will certainly be back though, just a matter of time - they're already setting it up legally. Their new owner also owns Sporting Index, btw.
    I knew all the rest (as I am heavily involved in that world), but I didn't know it was Sporting Index had been bought by the same private investors. As far as I know, the identity of the people buying up the likes of Pinnacle is still unknown and shrouded in mystery.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Shopping in Morrisons? :wink:

Plato said:

EdM going to Warks North was a massive red flag that was humpfed away as some *personal favour* to the candidate - yeah, right. Pfft.

Ditto Cameron hitting every LD seat in Surrey, Sussex and the SW.

I seem to recall that that was proof that DC isn't very good at politics, or indeed maths. Every seat they lost to Labour counted double so goodness only knows what he was doing in Twickenham!

:D
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    The German Brexit humour thing that Rob posted earlier was fascinating. Well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiH3L3XpJHY

On topic. How much did the Tories trust their internal data that suggested they were winning? It seems senior Tories expected to. Lower down the food chain there didn't seem to be the same optimism, and perhaps that's why it didn't show up on the markets. Did Tory high command not feed all the good news down - on a "keep 'em guessing, keep 'em keen" basis perhaps?

On the flip side it seems a lot of senior Labour people thought the data showed they were going to win. So it would be wise not to treat your internal data as infallible.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Plato said:

EdM going to Warks North was a massive red flag that was humpfed away as some *personal favour* to the candidate - yeah, right. Pfft.

I seem to recall that that was proof that DC isn't very good at politics, or indeed maths. Every seat they lost to Labour counted double so goodness only knows what he was doing in Twickenham!

I suggested that instead of going there, Dave should have spent the final day campaigning in East Ham, Bootle and Banff & Buchan.

That would have confused everybody.

In hindsight, the worst thing that happened to the Lib Dems in the last parliament was the following

i) Winning the Eastleigh by election

ii) The Lord Ashcroft constituency polling

It gave the Lib Dems and others the perception of being bullet proof.
    'Twas bad news for my betting that Clegg would be gone by the election. Seemed obvious in June 2010.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,542
    edited June 2015

Plato said:

I suggested that instead of going there, Dave should have spent the final day campaigning in East Ham, Bootle and Banff & Buchan.

That would have confused everybody.

In hindsight, the worst thing that happened to the Lib Dems in the last parliament was the following

i) Winning the Eastleigh by election

ii) The Lord Ashcroft constituency polling

It gave the Lib Dems and others the perception of being bullet proof.
    'Twas bad news for my betting that Clegg would be gone by the election. Seemed obvious in June 2010.
    We should have listened for Frau Merkel when she told Dave about coalitions

"The little party always gets smashed!"
  • Options

I must have quoted that 50 times on here. But even then I saw "smashed" as high teens at worst.

I still think Clexit might have helped...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

On topic. How much did the Tories trust their internal data that suggested they were winning? It seems senior Tories expected to. Lower down the food chain there didn't seem to be the same optimism, and perhaps that's why it didn't show up on the markets. Did Tory high command not feed all the good news down - on a "keep 'em guessing, keep 'em keen" basis perhaps?

On the flip side it seems a lot of senior Labour people thought the data showed they were going to win. So it would be wise not to treat your internal data as infallible.

Some said EMWNBPM, early, often and without wavering.

What did Jack W know, and how did he know it?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2015

The main thing which I noticed was the massive amount of effort being put into the LibDem-held seats. Here in Wealden (a very safe seat) we were getting lots of requests to help in nearby Eastbourne and in Lewes, none in Labour-target Crawley. I correctly concluded (and posted some indications here) that that only made sense if the Conservatives thought they were well ahead against Labour and were within reach of a majority - otherwise the effort made no sense, and in fact would have been counter-productive.

As for the mood in those target LibDem-held seats, I think there was a good degree of optimism that they might be within reach, but I was expecting quite a few near-misses rather than such a clean sweep of nearly all the targets. Of course, low-down in the food-chain you don't get to see the picture as a whole.

It was a pleasant surprise when the results came through!
  • Options

I must have quoted that 50 times on here. But even then I saw "smashed" as high teens at worst.

Even Robert, who was the most pessimistic PBer on Lib Dem chances saw them in the teens.

To think he lost his Lib Dems 11-20 bet on the DOWNSIDE
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    edited June 2015
    @Tissue_Price has it about right.

There were very many people betting on a Tory majority in the last couple of weeks. Not shrewides or insiders, just punters. Most of whom had very little history of betting on politics or being very accurate on any other events. 62% of bets placed on our "majority market" (where NOM was hot favourite) were actually on a Conservative Majority.

Those of us who thought that the range of possible results had to be pretty narrow (because of the huge volume of polling data plus the detailed analysis of that data and the forecasting models) were pretty relaxed about taking on the "gut trusters". We got burnt.

If you can imagine a terrible, bleak world where there were no polls, I doubt the result would have come as a surprise. Improving economy, perceived disparity in leadership competence - simple, right? The people who didn't care about polling or political science models overwhelmingly went for a Tory win.

In that sense the betting markets got it much more right than most other predictive tools. I'd said beforehand that it would be a enormous fail for the proponents of betting as a forecasting method if the Tories failed to win most seats. I think it's only fair to say that, given it went so far the other way, that this election has provided some evidence in their favour.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    t was a pleasant surprise when the results came through!

I haven;t seen anybody get to the bottom of why the lib dems did so very badly in lib dem/tory battles.
  • Options

The main thing which I noticed was the massive amount of effort being put into the LibDem-held seats. Here in Wealden (a very safe seat) we were getting lots of requests to help in nearby Eastbourne and in Lewes, none in Labour-target Crawley. I correctly concluded (and posted some indications here) that that only made sense if the Conservatives thought they were well ahead against Labour and were within reach of a majority - otherwise the effort made no sense, and in fact would have been counter-productive.

As for the mood in those target LibDem-held seats, I think there was a good degree of optimism that they might be within reach, but I was expecting quite a few near-misses rather than such a clean sweep of nearly all the targets.

The other thing, the Tories didn't just win their Lib Dem target seats, they marmalised them.

For example in Yeovil, they turned a 13k deficit into a 5k majority, Chippenham now a Tory maj of 10k
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Plato said:

The signs of desperation in Twickenham were there when OGH felt he needed to vote swap to give Uncle Vince a helping hand....
  • Options
    taffys said:

I haven;t seen anybody get to the bottom of why the lib dems did so very badly in lib dem/tory battles.

The Lib Dem vote went four ways.

The NOTA went to UKIP/Greens

The Red Liberals went Labour

And we misunderestimated how many blue Liberals there were, and one nation David Cameron was more appealing to them than any other candidate.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

The other thing, the Tories didn't just win their Lib Dem target seats, they marmalised them.

For example in Yeovil, they turned a 13k deficit into a 5k majority, Chippenham now a Tory maj of 10k

Not all, though. Eastbourne was a majority of just 733, and only a 4% swing (and the LibDems actually gained seats in the locals). It was more dramatic in the SW.

Still, I think lots of those seats are going to be very tough for the LibDems to win back.
  • Options
    @NCPoliticsUK: YouGov 100k recall is detailed in this Peter Kellner article for Prospect. Extraordinary stats http://t.co/EgVhgjM4Wn http://t.co/SOCdh0Pwtr

@NCPoliticsUK: Lab lead over Con only 4pts among under 30s, only 3pts among public sector workers. Con won all education levels and all incomes excl <£20k
  • Options

As far as I know, the identity of the people buying up the likes of Pinnacle is still unknown and shrouded in mystery.

Company called Touchbet, based in Malta. They do a lot of behind the scenes stuff for other betting companies, live odds and the like.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961

Plato said:

The signs of desperation in Twickenham were there when OGH felt he needed to vote swap to give Uncle Vince a helping hand....
    Yes that was a bit of a tell that all was not well in SW London...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Con won all education levels and all incomes excl <£20k</p>

That is a stunning stat.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Yes that was a bit of a tell that all was not well in SW London...
    But - in common with other pro-Tory anecdata, such as the Labour concerns in Hampstead & Kilburn - it was explained away as being specifically a mansion tax thing.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    shadsy said:

In that sense the betting markets got it much more right than most other predictive tools. I'd said beforehand that it would be a enormous fail for the proponents of betting as a forecasting method if the Tories failed to win most seats. I think it's only fair to say that, given it went so far the other way, that this election has provided some evidence in their favour.

Interesting point by Shadsy. Of course, one can argue for the purposes of provocation that actually the polls got it "right" (in terms of what the country was thinking) because they sampled everyone, whereas the election "merely" sampled the people who actually, um, voted. If the entire explanation for the result is differential turnout, that's literally true, though not helpful. I'm pretty sure that there were some genuine mind-changes in the final week, though, so it's not the whole story by any means.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:

@NCPoliticsUK: YouGov 100k recall is detailed in this Peter Kellner article for Prospect. Extraordinary stats http://t.co/EgVhgjM4Wn http://t.co/SOCdh0Pwtr

@NCPoliticsUK: Lab lead over Con only 4pts among under 30s, only 3pts among public sector workers. Con won all education levels and all incomes excl <£20k</p>

The meme that everyone in the public sector votes Labour and everyone in the private sector votes Conservative has always seemed absurd.
  • Options
    @SebastianEPayne: The reasoning behind the Tories' plan to boost home ownership https://t.co/F1wXk8FRnV
  • Options

Of course, one can argue for the purposes of provocation that actually the polls got it "right" (in terms of what the country was thinking) because they sampled everyone, whereas the election "merely" sampled the people who actually, um, voted.

Outstanding !
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Also the higher the income group the smaller by % the kipper vote..
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    taffys said:

Given the increase in Tory vote here in the SW, I believe, not just LD collapse, I can only assume that in addition to protest votes and anti-Tory votes that went to UKIP or Labour, a lot of Blue Liberals, as they shall now be known, found they quite liked a Tory PM who seemed comfortable working with the LDs, with many people saying it was more preferable to him than working with his nuttier back benchers. So in thos LD/Tory battles the LD vote was hit not just by the loss of the angry and betrayed perhaps, but also people liking Cameroon Tories quite a bit and switching, as I find a lot of the LDs and even some Labour people here in the SW are tinged with blue - in that the right Tory leader might be a good fit for them - where they are not the anti-Tory at all costs ones that is.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2015
    @shadsy: - “If you can imagine a terrible, bleak world where there were no polls, I doubt the result would have come as a surprise. Improving economy, perceived disparity in leadership competence - simple, right? The people who didn't care about polling or political science models overwhelmingly went for a Tory win.”

Well quite. All the traditional past indicators of who 'should' win the election where there for all to see, and pointed out many, many times. However, all assertions on PB to that effect were soon quashed or brushed aside as the polling simply did not reflect what turned out to be the reality.
  • Options

taffys said:

The Lib Dem vote went four ways.

The NOTA went to UKIP/Greens

The Red Liberals went Labour

And we misunderestimated how many blue Liberals there were, and one nation David Cameron was more appealing to them than any other candidate.
    As Antifrank pointed out, the mere existence of Ukip made the Conservatives appear more centrist.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    edited June 2015

@shadsy: - “If you can imagine a terrible, bleak world where there were no polls, I doubt the result would have come as a surprise. Improving economy, perceived disparity in leadership competence - simple, right? The people who didn't care about polling or political science models overwhelmingly went for a Tory win.”

Well quite. All the traditional past indicators of who 'should' win the election where there for all to see, and pointed out many, many times. However, all assertions on PB to that effect were soon quashed or brushed aside as the polling simply did not reflect what turned out to be the reality.

I wish I could use that excuse, but unlike many, it wasn't that my gut was telling me that things should favour the Tories and the polls had me rethinking that - indeed, it was the polls not being as good for Labour as I had expected that forced me to abandon my Lab majority prediction only around February 2015! My gut said Labour win, and my head found rationalisations for that.

So unlike many, it wasn't that I overthought things - I was just an idiot.

P.S Still made money though! Such small sums, but a single decent bet on UKIP MP chances overrid the losses elsewhere.
  • Options

As Antifrank pointed out, the mere existence of Ukip made the Conservatives appear more centrist.

The PM referring to them as fruitcakes helped there...
  • Options
    Eastbourne was knee deep in LDs pumping out Focus leaflets and on the day.

I have to give them credit for a supreme effort throughout - they did there best here. I said about 4 weeks before that I thought it was too close to call - and that 733 was a very welcome surprise TBH.

Not all, though. Eastbourne was a majority of just 733, and only a 4% swing (and the LibDems actually gained seats in the locals). It was more dramatic in the SW.

Still, I think lots of those seats are going to be very tough for the LibDems to win back.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Kettering - Rothwell deferred election
    Lab 951 Con 873 Con 777 Con 771 Lab 623 Lab 614 UKIP 370 Green 119 Green 89 Green 82

2 Con and 1 Lab elected. No change compared to 2011 (actually there's a change as one of the Tory incumbents finished 4th and the newcomer second)
  • Options
    The real "Middle Britain" is a key group imo.

This is one politicians should definitely pay alot of attention to !

How those with a household income of between £40-69K voted in #GE2015 (YouGov megapoll):
    CON - 42%
    LAB - 29%
    UKIP - 10%
    LDEM - 9%
    GRN - 4%
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    What happened to the LDs? Are they still the political wing of the NUT or no more?
    Scott_P said:

@NCPoliticsUK: Lab lead over Con only 4pts among under 30s, only 3pts among public sector workers. Con won all education levels and all incomes excl <£20k</p>

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Scott_P said:

The meme that everyone in the public sector votes Labour and everyone in the private sector votes Conservative has always seemed absurd.
    Yes - but like so much else - we were slapped down on here for suggesting that not all teachers would vote Labour. Apparently they all hated Gove so much....or some such rubbish.
  • Options
    HARRIS, Kathleen Margaret Labour Party 614
    HEATH, Alan David Green Party 82
    HOGSTON, Sally Anne UK Independence Party (UKIP) 370
    JELLEY, Ian Frederick Conservative Party Candidate 771
    JONES, Malcolm Edward Labour Party 623
    JONES, Stephen Christopher Green Party 119
    MILLS, Alan John Labour Party 951 Elected
    REEVES, Robert James Green Party 89
    SUMPTER, Karl David Conservative Party Candidate 853 Elected
    TALBOT, Margaret Elizabeth Conservative Party Candidate 777 Elected
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I wonder if some of the 3 seat swing from Tory +25 to Tory +19 was simply people who'd backed Tories cashing out before the results came in rather than significantly betting against.

Though the polling in the final 24 hours was horrific for the Tories. YouGov was no shock but ICM and other phone pollsters swinging from a 3-6 point Tory lead to a 1 point lead/tie was concerning.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Interesting chart in this article about Greece's brain drain since 2009. Just look at Britain go!
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Relevant perhaps to this & the previous thread I have this simple thought:

For me and many others it is very nearly enough that the Labour are not the Tories. But it wouldn't do to campaign purely on a such a negative line.

Although ordinary workers, and their unions, do still form a considerable underpinning for Labour, things are moving, socially. For instance, we do have what I understand is a growing "under class", sad to say.

But, anyway, one way to underline that Labour is anti-Tory (so to say) they might consider changing their name. I would favour the name "Social Democrat". The "Social" would, I feel, emphasize a non-Tory egoism and the "Democrat" would underline a non-revolutionary approach, and maybe slightly resonate in sympathy with the Democratic party (say) in the USA.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''And we misunderestimated how many blue Liberals there were, and one nation David Cameron was more appealing to them than any other candidate.''

I always wondered about the composition of the lib dem vote when 40% of them regularly showed up as 'eurosceptic' in surveys between 2010 and 2015!!!
  • Options
    I was told by three LD tellers on polling day they'd happily vote for Cameron Tories.

I was gobsmacked. They seemed very relaxed about it.
    kle4 said:

taffys said:

Given the increase in Tory vote here in the SW, I believe, not just LD collapse, I can only assume that in addition to protest votes and anti-Tory votes that went to UKIP or Labour, a lot of Blue Liberals, as they shall now be known, found they quite liked a Tory PM who seemed comfortable working with the LDs, with many people saying it was more preferable to him than working with his nuttier back benchers. So in thos LD/Tory battles the LD vote was hit not just by the loss of the angry and betrayed perhaps, but also people liking Cameroon Tories quite a bit and switching, as I find a lot of the LDs and even some Labour people here in the SW are tinged with blue - in that the right Tory leader might be a good fit for them - where they are not the anti-Tory at all costs ones that is.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    How England excluding London voted:

Con 41.8%
    Lab 29.7%
    UKIP 15.1%
    LD 8.3%
    Greens 4.1%
    Others 1.0%

(See bottom of sheet):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11QE57smiTTefgOGeWIbnipZRmTPOkwpaKNHV_Cyx4T0/edit#gid=0
    Pulpstar said:

The real "Middle Britain" is a key group imo.

This is one politicians should definitely pay alot of attention to !

How those with a household income of between £40-69K voted in #GE2015 (YouGov megapoll):
    CON - 42%
    LAB - 29%
    UKIP - 10%
    LDEM - 9%
    GRN - 4%

• Options
    Somerton & Frome went from a 2K LD maj to a 20K Tory one.

As for the mood in those target LibDem-held seats, I think there was a good degree of optimism that they might be within reach, but I was expecting quite a few near-misses rather than such a clean sweep of nearly all the targets.

• Options
    Toms said:

But, anyway, one way to underline that Labour is anti-Tory (so to say) they might consider changing their name. I would favour the name "Social Democrat".

Labour MPs splitting off and forming something called the Social Democratic Party.

Words cannot express how brilliant an idea that is
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

Yes - but like so much else - we were slapped down on here for suggesting that not all teachers would vote Labour. Apparently they all hated Gove so much....or some such rubbish.
    It is worth remembering that the largest teaching union - the NUT - is one of a small number of prominent unions that are effectively controlled by far left splinter groups.

In the case of the NUT there has been huge SWP influence since the 1970s.

Of the others, the PCS And Fire Brigades Union have similar influencers. There is a reason why these Unions gaveblined up to support various varieties of student demo.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    TGOHF said:

Also the higher the income group the smaller by % the kipper vote..

Could be significant if a low turnout exitref.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Scott_P said:

Toms said:

But, anyway, one way to underline that Labour is anti-Tory (so to say) they might consider changing their name. I would favour the name "Social Democrat".

Labour MPs splitting off and forming something called the Social Democratic Party.

Not splitting off. Done democratically.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2015
    kle4 said:

[snip for space.]

So unlike many, it wasn't that I overthought things - I was just an idiot.

P.S Still made money though! Such small sums, but a single decent bet on UKIP MP chances overrid the losses elsewhere.
    Arf - and very glad to hear you turned a profit on the night :lol:
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

shadsy said:

Interesting point by Shadsy. Of course, one can argue for the purposes of provocation that actually the polls got it "right" (in terms of what the country was thinking) because they sampled everyone, whereas the election "merely" sampled the people who actually, um, voted. If the entire explanation for the result is differential turnout, that's literally true, though not helpful. I'm pretty sure that there were some genuine mind-changes in the final week, though, so it's not the whole story by any means.
    Post of the day!
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Interesting chart in this article about Greece's brain drain since 2009. Just look at Britain go!

Ooops! Forgot the link:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite3_1_05/06/2015_550732
  • Options
    Holy Ballots!
    AndyJS said:

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Somerton & Frome always was going to go blue tbh.
  • Options
    What does *gaveblined* mean or is it a weird autocorrect? I tried Googling to no avail!
    MattW said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

It is worth remembering that the largest teaching union - the NUT - is one of a small number of prominent unions that are effectively controlled by far left splinter groups.

Of the others, the PCS And Fire Brigades Union have similar influencers. There is a reason why these Unions gaveblined up to support various varieties of student demo.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Plato said:

What does *gaveblined* mean or is it a weird autocorrect? I tried Googling to no avail!

MattW said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

My guess he changed 'gave' to 'lined up' and the 'gave' did not delete but somehow added a 'b'
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Toms said:

Careful, they might then form an alliance with the Liberals.
  • Options
    Toms said:

But, anyway, one way to underline that Labour is anti-Tory (so to say) they might consider changing their name.

Why not try "The Moral Party"?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Toms said:

Careful, they might then form an alliance with the Liberals.
    It was just thrown down like a wet cod onto a marble slab as a theoretical notion. The name "Social Republican" party would suit my views better.
  • Options

Why not try "The Moral Party"?

How about The Toynbeeists
  • Options
    Plato said:

MattW said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

gavebline v. To pointlessly pontificate on a subject which is not relevant to your membership
  • Options
    Certainly, but I don't think anyone expected a majority of that size — only 5K less than Cameron in Witney and 2K more than Osborne in Tatton.
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Somerton & Frome always was going to go blue tbh.
  • Options

As far as I know, the identity of the people buying up the likes of Pinnacle is still unknown and shrouded in mystery.

Company called Touchbet, based in Malta. They do a lot of behind the scenes stuff for other betting companies, live odds and the like.
    Thanks for the info. I somehow missed the "big reveal", even though it made the likes of Sky News. Very interesting move. My presumption was a big player looking to leverage the likes of Pinnacle, but instead it is somebody who specalises in not dealing with punters who has bought up the two brands.
  • Options
    9-4 lol
  • Options
    Interesting paragraph from Kellner:

"Nowadays, women are more likely than men to vote Labour. It used to be the other way round. For most of the post-1945 era, women tended to be more Tory than men. Detailed analysis from our post-election survey shows that something else is going on. Labour’s advantage is specifically among women under 50. Labour enjoyed a six-point lead among them—while the Tories led by five points among men under 50. Among people over 50, the Tories have a clear lead among both men (by 12 points) and women (by 15 points). In essence, among people born before the mid-1960s, the traditional gender gap persists, while among women born since then, the new gender gap takes over."
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    MattW said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

Oh I know that very well - as a former teacher - tis a pity some of those in charge here were not more clued up about the difference between public sector unions and the public sector workforce. Maybe they'll remember next time.
  • Options
    LOL :smirk:

Plato said:

MattW said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

gavebline v. To pointlessly pontificate on a subject which is not relevant to your membership
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    A betting market is like any other market. There are sometimes bubbles in asset markets, but there seem to be people trying to call bubbles, from both sides.

The other thing is that using the previous election has a flaw. It doesn't allow for the randomness of the result. An election is dynamic in everything from who actually managed to vote as expected, down to the randomness of media coverage. The last electioncampaign focussed a lot on Clegg, and Cameron and Brown were probably less scrutinised. My assumption would be that this benefited Brown and I think anecdotally Labour held more seats last time than they expected.

Anyway this dynamism does not appear to be allowed for in the polling, and that polling then influences predicted ranges in betting markets.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Plato said:

MattW said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

Learn something new every day. Way did you find this? I looked in six different dictionaries, including OED, Cambridge and Websters, but none of them list it.

Or did you make up a definition in the spot? If so, bravo. Very convincing.
  • Options
    "Labour can't even spell aspiration..."

@MrHarryCole: Happy Friday. http://t.co/f8HHhBAQcN
  • Options
    Plato said:

MattW said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

That 'gaveblined' most likely should be 'have lined', so ;;a reason why these unions have lined up to support ....'
  • Options
    Die Zeit now claims that the country's government sent Saudi Arabia a shipment of arms to persuade them to support 2006 World Cup bid. The then Chancellor Gerhard Schroder allegedly authorised shipment of rocket-propelled grenades a week before the vote back in the year 2000.
  • Options
    Epic! :smiley:

ttps://twitter.com/tompeck/status/578937669880832000

• Options
    Nice win for the bookies there !
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,821
    I guess it struck me at about 1pm on polling day, when PB linked the Number cruncher article about the correlation with council polls amongst other things which I bought into wholesale. The scales fell and I did a comically futile Facebook post along the lines of "Aaaargh, Tory majority, vooote!" (rather than getting to the bookies! - well I'm only an occasional casual punter, the fact I was on a betting site didn't occur at that moment).

I guess what I'm saying is why isn't there a regular, publicised flow of prediction data based on council by-election numbers in particular? If the first dozen or so parliamentary seats declared can usually predict the swing to within 1%, why not the last 100 or so council by-elections on a rolling basis. I'm sure it would be useful for a polling company to take in actual results data, and apply its proprietary weightings to those and then to give equal billing to what results are saying and to polling. Might also help determine what adjustments need to be made to the polling.
  • Options
    IIRC we used to do something similar on PB - we certainly spent a lot of time looking at local election data before 2010 and we also looked at Market Towns which were great pointers.

Why we didn't do that again, maybe TSE or OGH can help out here.
    Pro_Rata said:

I guess it struck me at about 1pm on polling day, when PB linked the Number cruncher article about the correlation with council polls amongst other things which I bought into wholesale. The scales fell and I did a comically futile Facebook post along the lines of "Aaaargh, Tory majority, vooote!" (rather than getting to the bookies! - well I'm only an occasional casual punter, the fact I was on a betting site didn't occur at that moment).

I guess what I'm saying is why isn't there a regular, publicised flow of prediction data based on council by-election numbers in particular? If the first dozen or so parliamentary seats declared can usually predict the swing to within 1%, why not the last 100 or so council by-elections on a rolling basis. I'm sure it would be useful for a polling company to take in actual results data, and apply its proprietary weightings to those and then to give equal billing to what results are saying and to polling. Might also help determine what adjustments need to be made to the polling.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nice win for the bookies there !

No good for my double with GC tomorrow. Damn. I was just working out hedging strategies.
  • Options
    What you can't see is that it goes for a hundred meters in the other direction - they need that much room for all the FIFA members.

Heard that Blatter got a 10 minute standing ovation from the FIFA staff when he went back into the building after he had announced his retirement. Whole damned FIFA edifice needs to come crashing down.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Given the Tories won by 8% nationally these statistics perhaps not too surprising, Labour still lead with young voters, the public sector and low income voters, though a closer gap. Perhaps surprising to see many public sector voters or voters on welfare voting Tory at all, Turkeys voting for Christmas?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Or did you make up a definition in the spot? If so, bravo. Very convincing.

Thank you ;-)
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: Labour lost because it was not left wing enough? @DanielSleat explains it again http://t.co/IRjCvmZ3TA
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,043
    edited June 2015

Even Robert, who was the most pessimistic PBer on Lib Dem chances saw them in the teens.

I think every comment I made in the two weeks before the elections was "4-1 on LibDems 11-20 BARGAIN OF THE YEAR FILL YOUR BOOTS." Fortunately I had a small bet on 10 or fewer at 16-1.

Still, I was gutted they didn't get three more seats.

I also posted that their seats would ultimately be a function of their national vote share, and I had 7 seats at 7%, and 11 seats at 8%. So, I was three too optimistic on their seats (given their vote share).

My biggest error was that I assumed there would be more Con->LD tactical voting in LD-Labour marginals. The Conservatives getting 16% in Cambridge was a real shocker, for example: I expected them to be on 12% or so, with lots of tactical voting for Huppert. Likewise, I thought that he Tories would be struggling to hold their deposit in Southwark and Old Bermondsey.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I just scored 63 points* on the Nabavi test on the previous thread.

:blush:

Can I net off the 20 points that I scored on JosiasJessop's version?

* I only gave myself 10 points on the wine test (for a '45 port) but wasn't sure if I should have got extra points for each other vintage...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    The movement of women from centre right to centre left and men the reverse is true across the western world. In the US for example, Clinton won white women in 1996 but white men have not voted Democrat since LBJ in 1964. It is a product of deindustrialisation and the decline of Labour unions and more women graduates having children later, men by contrast are more attracted to the social conservatism many rightwing parties have pushed which has moved more wwc voters to the right
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    This is all so blindingly obvious - and PB Tories keep telling 'em, and most simply reject it as some evil deception. It's not. It's common sense.
    First, we need to be really careful not to overthink the general election result. By its very decisiveness there is a profound clarity to what the British public told us. Put simply, every general election since the second world war has been won by the party that has taken the centre-ground and offered the most compelling vision to the British people. We did not do so in either 2010 or 2015.

We did not lose because we were not left wing enough.

It is an obvious truth that when the Labour party loses general elections it does so to a party of the right, not of further to the left. This is so simple but too few people in our party seem to truly grasp this.

When Labour won most handsomely, in 1997, and then again in 2001 and 2005, we had built a coalition of supporters, across classes and across the country.

Since 2007 the party has taken almost every possible step to turn away from what made us unprecedentedly successful under New Labour.

As I have said, every election since 1945 has been won by the party that most clearly dominated the centre-ground. However many times the Labour party tries to re-arrange this formula, however much we think it is the public and not us who must change the outcome will be the same – we will lose.
    Scott_P said:

@JohnRentoul: Labour lost because it was not left wing enough? @DanielSleat explains it again http://t.co/IRjCvmZ3TA

• Options

* I only gave myself 10 points on the wine test (for a '45 port) but wasn't sure if I should have got extra points for each other vintage...
  • Options

• Options
    edited June 2015

What you can't see is that it goes for a hundred meters in the other direction - they need that much room for all the FIFA members.

Heard that Blatter got a 10 minute standing ovation from the FIFA staff when he went back into the building after he had announced his retirement. Whole damned FIFA edifice needs to come crashing down.
    Many of the African FA officials are also still banging on about what a great man Blatter is. The problem is a lot bigger than just Blatter.
  • Options
    Shocking allegation.

Die Zeit now claims that the country's government sent Saudi Arabia a shipment of arms to persuade them to support 2006 World Cup bid. The then Chancellor Gerhard Schroder allegedly authorised shipment of rocket-propelled grenades a week before the vote back in the year 2000.

• Options
    I was most surprised by Huppert - he was a central casting incumbent MP for that seat and still lost.
    rcs1000 said:

I think every comment I made in the two weeks before the elections was "4-1 on LibDems 11-20 BARGAIN OF THE YEAR FILL YOUR BOOTS." Fortunately I had a small bet on 10 or fewer at 16-1.

Still, I was gutted they didn't get three more seats.

I also posted that their seats would ultimately be a function of their national vote share, and I had 7 seats at 7%, and 11 seats at 8%. So, I was 3% too optimistic on their seats (given their vote share).

My biggest error was that I assumed there would be more Con->LD tactical voting in LD-Labour marginals. The Conservatives getting 16% in Cambridge was a real shocker, for example: I expected them to be on 12% or so, with lots of tactical voting for Huppert. Likewise, I thought that he Tories would be struggling to hold their deposit in Southwark and Old Bermondsey.
  • Options
    Plato said:

This is all so blindingly obvious - and PB Tories keep telling 'em, and most simply reject it as some evil deception. It's not. It's common sense.

Read the first comment under the article, and follow the link :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Policy barely entered into it: left or right.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Interesting paragraph from Kellner:

"Nowadays, women are more likely than men to vote Labour. It used to be the other way round. For most of the post-1945 era, women tended to be more Tory than men. Detailed analysis from our post-election survey shows that something else is going on. Labour’s advantage is specifically among women under 50. Labour enjoyed a six-point lead among them—while the Tories led by five points among men under 50. Among people over 50, the Tories have a clear lead among both men (by 12 points) and women (by 15 points). In essence, among people born before the mid-1960s, the traditional gender gap persists, while among women born since then, the new gender gap takes over."

Surely, that MUST provoke tim to re-appear.

"I told you Cameron had a women problem..."
  • Options

Many of the African FA officials are also still banging on about what a great man Blatter is. The problem is a lot bigger than just Blatter.

Danny the Fink wrote a great article about exactly that. Blatter is gone, Blatterism is still thriving
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    RE Bribes..some years ago I was trying to have a movie produced in a Middle Eastern country.In order to obtain the permissions needed I was told to drive to a certain Government Ministers house..in a brand new Mercedes..and take a taxi home.
    The script is still in a drawer in my desk.
  • Options

RE Bribes..some years ago I was trying to have a movie produced in a Middle Eastern country.In order to obtain the permissions needed I was told to drive to a certain Government Ministers house..in a brand new Mercedes..and take a taxi home.

And where's the Merc?
  • Options
    Dearie me. Dear oh dear...

It was Labour's failure to excite their base which lost them the election. Moving to the right won't help.
    Scott_P said:

Plato said:

Read the first comment under the article, and follow the link :)
  • Options
    Charles said:

QED
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    RN Still in a showroom.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    My other half was involved in a serious bit of bribery with the Chinese gov. The US firm bidding against his [Swiss] team won the war.

He was later told by the lead US negotiator that he'd made a fundamental mistake, he'd only bribed for information to make his bid more attractive, they'd bribed for the result.

Doh, it seemed so obvious in retrospect!

EDIT Just got all 3 vols of Alan Whicker to watch this weekend - and it includes the Sultan of Brunei, I'll think of you amongst the solid gold taps.

This discussion has been closed.