Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Take the Ladbroke’s 3-1 that Osborne will be called Jeffrey

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Take the Ladbroke’s 3-1 that Osborne will be called Jeffrey in Commons

Ladbrokes make it a 3/1 shot that Osbo will be referred to as ‘Jeffrey’ in the House of Commons this year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,201
    edited June 2013
    Sounds good
    All the greats are called Jeffrey/Geoffrey..

Such as Geoffrey Boycott
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Bah. Went to try it and it's suspended already.
    Oh, and from 2 threads ago: I was called a (famous) misanthrope once.

On the other hand the chap who said it was a big fan of Ed Balls, so he may have been stark raving mad.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Nice edit on the singer's wikipedia page for the moment. Catch it while you can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Osborne
  • isamisam Posts: 40,873
    Jeffery Osborne?! Didn't he sing 'On The Wings Of Gove?'
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,560

All the greats are called Jeffrey/Geoffrey..

Such as Geoffrey Boycott

Or Jeffrey Dahmer.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Dahmer

In other news...

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5012/hmrc-alarms-contractors-with-clampdown-on-off-payroll-deals

Osborne's clamp down on the use of Personal Service Companies appears to be broader than first anticipated.....would never have happened under a Labour government!
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Joffrey is funnier - but only for GoT hipsters.

antifrank said:

Nice edit on the singer's wikipedia page for the moment. Catch it while you can:

I'm trying to work out if I can fit in any Jeffrey Osborne songs into a future nighthawks.

Does that make very sad?
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Such as Geoffrey Boycott

And the great Geoff Stelling of course.

'Geoff' is way more blokey and may be the making of Ossie. Can photos with a can of Guinness be far away?? He's one of us, Geoff, Geoffers, the Geoffster...

Bet Dave's a bit Jealous actually

(er....Barack....would you mind calling me 'kev' by mistake at some juncture?)...
    @TSE You only really have two to go with, and isam has already made the best joke available with one of them.

The other one lends itself to Nighthawks though.
    antifrank said:

Some wag from the University of St Andrews:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jeffrey_Osborne&oldid=560733662

Been undone by someone on BSKYB and then from Parliament....
  • AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT

SWIFT published their monthly GDP Index today.

Curiously the index has not moved off 0.1% 'nowcast' for Q2 2013 UK Quarter on Quarter growth although the Year on Year figure is for 1.1%.

SWIFT's forecasts for Q3 2013 are much more encouraging with QoQ growth forecast to be 1.3% and YoY 1.4%.

SWIFT were one of the very few forecasters to get Q1 2013 right at 0.3% QoQ growth but their forecasts and nowcasts for Q2 have been persistently low. With almost all main forecasters going for 0.5% growth in Q2, could they be right again but on the other side?

Is astateofdenmark lurking? If so, have you seen anything in published figures to date which might support SWIFT's relative pessimism?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Angela Eagle already referred to this story at Business Questions this morning

"President Obama called him Jeffrey three times at the G8. There are plenty of names I could think of to call this Chancellor, but Jeffrey isn't one of them"
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT:
    @politicshome
    The Care Quality Commission will publish the names of those accused of a cover-up over the deaths of infants later today.

And about time too! I hope this is the start of getting rid of the corrupt, mendacious and unprofessional top people and others at the NHS. However I don't hold out much hope of this happening.
    edited June 2013
    Well that 3/1 didn't last long, did it.

Twitter is full of Jeffrey. :)
    Mike K.....And about time too!

Why are the tories prosecuting this matter with such astonishing zeal I wonder??

Surely there couldn't be a link to the last government?
    It's strange, isn't it? The US President makes a really gauche mistake and it's George Osborne's problem.
    More good news?

Jeffrey seems to have kickstarted the housing market:

Gross mortgage lending increased to 14.7bn pounds in May, up 21 per cent from April and is the highest monthly estimate for gross mortgage lending since October 2008, figures from The Council of Mortgage Lenders show.

Government initiatives appear to boosting demand, as is the rising number of mortgages being made available with low interest rates.

Gross mortgage lending is estimated to have risen to £14.7bn in May from April's £12.2bn and is 17% higher than the total of £12.6bn in May 2012.

"Funding conditions, helped by the funding for lending scheme, continue to look favourable and are supporting more competitive mortgage pricing and availability and a gradual resumption of lenders’ risk appetite," said the CML's chief economist Bob Pannell.
    It could be worse. The Conservatives have Jeffrey, but Labour are lumbered with Bungle :p
    antifrank said:

It's strange, isn't it? The US President makes a really gauche mistake and it's George Osborne's problem.

It's the chaos theory in action.

My favourite US Presidential chaos theory was Bill Clinton opened his flies in Washington and people died in The Sudan and Afghanistan.

• MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I've just put more on Jeffrey at the tighter price of 6/4
    F1: rumours that the Korean and Indian races could be in trouble:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/gossip/

Wouldn't be a great loss, frankly. Korea would be nice but after the initial part of the circuit, all straights, it's so tight and twisty passing's almost impossible. That also promotes a typical Vettel victory, which involves superior downforce, leading from the front and then having faster lap times (losing some on the straights, but you're ahead so you can't be passed anyway).
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    So, the President of the United States, Barack Obama, meets the white anglo saxon Chancellor of the UK and mistakes him for a black american soul singer, says it all really. Does ole Barack still have his finger on the red button,WOOOAHH
  • I'm not a fan of Clegg but the so-called gaffe re nigella 'neck gate' is utterly pathetic - Yvette Cooper making a total fool of herself.
    taffys said:

Mike K.....And about time too!

Why are the tories prosecuting this matter with such astonishing zeal I wonder??

Surely there couldn't be a link to the last government?

Apart from the CQC being Gordon Browns idea (as a significant cost saving), and one of those allegedly involved in the cover up's appointment being criticised by Lansley at the time (no confidence until we know what happened at Mid Staffs - why can't we have an inquiry? ) - its got absolutely nothing to do with the last government. Nothing what so ever! No Sireee!
    On the plus side for the Chancellor, he'll probably hear less of Gideon for a while.
    antifrank said:

On the plus side for the Chancellor, he'll probably hear less of Gideon for a while.

Dennis Skinner beat you to it

scampi said:

I'm not a fan of Clegg but the so-called gaffe re nigella 'neck gate' is utterly pathetic - Yvette Cooper making a total fool of herself.

WATO covering it, Clegg is being afforded every assistance short of actual help by both Downing St and his own party....
  • isamisam Posts: 40,873
    WATO doing a George/Jeffrey Osborne mash up....
    Nothing what so ever! No Sireee!

It would be interesting to know which Care Quality issues were raised by the Care Quality Commission during Labour's time in office.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,380
    The Silly Season must be starting early this year...
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140
    On topic, I missed the last thread but in case someone hasn't done this one yet:
    http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2013/briefing-note-for-barack-obama/

Off topic, big old credit crunch in China:
    https://twitter.com/MatthewPhillips/status/347690873565347840/photo/1
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    By-election update for later. I'd be grateful if someone could bring this to Harry Hayfield's attention if he doesn't see it.

Polling is open in the Milton Keynes ward by-election of Bletchley & Fenny Stratford today. It's a Tory ward, however it was won by Labour last May. Unfortunately Rita Venn, the new councillor died before her first year in office was complete.

It has always been hotly contested between Labour and the Tories, and Labour's win last May was something of a breakthrough. However there were specific factors:
    1) Labour had a spectacular performance overall, winning 7 seats
    2) The Tory incumbent was popular and well-respected....and had to stand down at the last minute. This meant a late switch to a new candidate.
    3) Labour still only won by 50.

The Tories have last May's candidate up again, Labour have Mohammed Khan, who stood in the Emerson Valley ward last May. In what should have been a hopeless contest, he campaigned energetically, and although he came third, he probably swung the seat to the Tories by taking so many anti-Tory votes. So he has credible experience.

My feeling from the ground is that although this should be a Tory seat, Labour will win it. They have been campaigning energetically both in the ward and in the borough, with a noisy PPC backing up the campaign and plenty of media coverage. I also see this as a strong area for UKIP who have at least put a leaflet out and I could see them taking plenty of votes from both sides.

Other parties are also rans. Best guess is Labour by 150.

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,884
    Called Joffrey by B A Barackas HUSSEIN O'Bama ? Lol.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,834
    I wonder if F1's going to end up without a tyre supplier next year?

Pirelli just lobbed a hand grenade into the hearing. "We do not come under the jurisdiction or authority of the FIA."

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/8783549/FIA-Tribunal-updates
    edited June 2013

Pirelli just lobbed a hand grenade into the hearing. "We do not come under the jurisdiction or authority of the FIA."

LOVE IT !

Who pays who in this arrangement anyway does the tyre company pay the FIA to supply (As it is huge advertising) or does the FIA pay the tyre companies or are the tyres supplied at the tyre company's own cost... ?

Also can't they just go to Michelin... Or Dunlop or ... Yokohama ?
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Speaking of the Silly Season

Downing Street has refused to say whether David Cameron would eat genetically-modified food or feed it to his family, despite being asked about its safety eight times.
    Pulpstar said:

LOVE IT !

Who pays who in this arrangement anyway does the tyre company pay the FIA to supply (As it is huge advertising) or does the FIA pay the tyre companies or are the tyres supplied at the tyre company's own cost... ?

Also can't they just go to Michelin... Or Dunlop or ... Yokohama ?
    It used to be that the type companies paid for the privilege, and got loads of advertising off it. However ISTR (and IANAE) that it changed after the tyre wars when Bridgestone left. If I recall correctly, the FIA had a hard job getting anyone on board after Bridgestone said they were leaving in 2009, and Pirelli came on board late in the day (June 2010 for the 2011 season, about as late as they could leave it to get tyres developed).

Michelin, Cooper Avon and Pirelli showed interest in taking over the role of tyre supplier after Bridgestone's announcement.

The sad fact is that few manufacturers would want to be a part of F1 if Pirelli get slammed, especially after Michelin's unfair treatment in 2005.

Without a tyre war, there is little publicity to be gained (it is essentially a one-make series), and an awful lot of criticism and blame to be received.

Obligatory link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_tyres
    @George_Osborne
    One unexpected breakthrough from G8 - offer to sing with legend @_JeffreyOsborne. Jeff you wouldn't suggest a duet if you'd heard me sing
  • shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Just to clarify this Jeffrey bet. It seems like Angela Eagle already used this quip this morning, before we released the market. We'll settle on whether anyone uses it from the time any bet was placed, which I think is the fair thing to do. However, if anyone wants to void a bet they've had, let me know today. You can email on politics@ladbrokes.co.uk
    UK government borrowing costs hit highest level in almost two years.

Government Bonds are getting slaughtered across the board because the Fed is starting to moderate QE. Its a bit of a blood bath everywhere
  • GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Better growth prospects here also feed higher yields. It's pre-crisis levels that the current yield needs to be compared with - what are they?
    Throw a load of taxpayers money at guaranteeing low interest rate mortgages and create a housing bubble before rates are forced up.

I must admit I have mixed feelings about these attempts to get the housing market going myself.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2013
    @tpfkar

Thanks for the update in Milton Keynes contest.
    Looking at past results and today's candidates, I was unshamefully wondering what kind of effect having a candidate called Mohammed Khan could have on the outcome in that ward given the last 2 elections have been decided 50 votes one way or the other.

In Emerson Valley he increased the Labour share by around 1% compared to 2011. Is the increase in line with the rest of the city 2012's performance? How is the 21-22 Labour % in Emerson Valley compared to their potential in that kind of ward in your opinion?
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,282
    Jeffery Osborne is Unwell.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,179
    taffys said:

Throw a load of taxpayers money at guaranteeing low interest rate mortgages and create a housing bubble before rates are forced up.

I must admit I have mixed feelings about these attempts to get the housing market going myself.

I don't think anyone expects tightening this year (or next).

"Anna Soubry: married tax breaks debate should have come before gay marriage

David Cameron should have held a debate on giving tax breaks to married couples before legalising gay marriage, a Conservative minister has said."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10119397/Anna-Soubry-married-tax-breaks-debate-should-have-come-before-gay-marriage.html
    tim said:

taffys said:

Government Bonds are getting slaughtered across the board because the Fed is starting to moderate QE. Its a bit of a blood bath everywhere

I realise that.
    So what's the most stupid thing to do?

The most stupid thing would be to let Labour back in. The incompetents who got us into this mess, then (ahem) saved the world.
    @tpfkar

Andrew Teale's by-election review blog is always informative:

http://blog.englishelections.org.uk/
    dr_spyn said:

Jeffery Osborne is Unwell.

Is it a diplomatic illness because the Markets are being shredded?
    Or, is it a bug Jeffery caught from Obama while the Markets are being shedded.

• AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Andy_JS said:

"Anna Soubry: married tax breaks debate should have come before gay marriage

David Cameron should have held a debate on giving tax breaks to married couples before legalising gay marriage, a Conservative minister has said."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10119397/Anna-Soubry-married-tax-breaks-debate-should-have-come-before-gay-marriage.html

She saw the polls were improving and decided to put a stop to that nonsense immediately.
    edited June 2013
    tim said:

taffys said:

I realise that.
    So what's the most stupid thing to do?

You are in quite a muddle, tim.

The Government is neither guaranteeing low interest rates nor is it inflating house prices in its Help to Buy guarantee scheme.

What the scheme does is guarantee mortgage lenders for up to 14.25% of mortgage value in the event of the lender needing to repossess the property during the first seven years of the loan's term.

The Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee scheme is not connected with government bond yields. Even Ed Conway would not attempt such an absurd deception.
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I've just seen that Cyprus has been thrown to the wolves by Ollie Rehn
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Andy_JS said:
    When are going to be able to stop this type of obscenity? Beheading on British streets! Do we live in Pakistan FGS
    edited June 2013
    BBC report on the second UK beheading in the space of a few weeks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-22989973
    @tim

It hasn't been given the prominence one would have expected. Just because you can find some links doesn't change that.
    Blue Rog.

Calm down. We don't know the facts of the case. It does not look like a terrorist incident.
    This person will face the full force of the law and, if guilty, probably spend a very long time in prison.

That might well not happen in a country such as Pakistan.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited June 2013
    Blue_rog said:

Andy_JS said:
    When are going to be able to stop this type of obscenity? Beheading on British streets! Do we live in Pakistan FGS
    The Daily Mail's sub-headline deserves to be severely mocked, though:

"Reema Ramzan suffered knife wounds, including her head being severed off"

I mean, do we really care about the flesh wounds at this point?

EDIT: this line from the main text is pretty special, too:

"Detectives said she suffered a severe knife attack resulting in fatal injuries, including the severing of her head."

Think this comes under the 'no sh1t, sherlock' category

edited June 2013
    The tory strategy on CQC starts to become clear.

On ConHome is an article by Morecombe MP David Morris alleging Labour bears a share of the responsibility for the deaths of children.

One labour MP comes in for particular criticism.

That's a pretty meaty allegation.
    Blue_rog said:

Andy_JS said:
    Exactly.

And what are we going to do about this:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2344454/Mother-eyes-gouged-abusive-boyfriend-attacked-man-arrested-assault.html

how can we stop these people doing this type of thing?
  • PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    @taffys

please provide the link
    conservativehome.blogs.com/platform/2013/06/from-mpdavidmorris.html

Here's the link moderator - of course delete my posts if you're unhappy

Moderator - I removed the name from my first post anyhoo.
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Been away from ye olde computer so I missed the fun and games from Pirelli.

There were rumours they were being lined up for the chopping block with Hankook replacing them. Hankook kiboshed that (although people and firms in F1 do often change their minds).

Either way, F1 needs to decide in the very near future. Pirelli can't make a new tyre for the new regulations in an afternoon and we're nearing the renewal window.
  • PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    @taffys

Its perfectly ok. Links to articles are helpful and preferable where there are allegation's within any article. ( the link is to protect the site owner).
    Noted thanks moderator...
    God save the Queen.
    AveryLP said:

God save the Queen.

He wanted to hug her, he really wanted to hug her. He allowed himself a light touch on her arm....
  • davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165
    Wasn't there some buzz on here a week or so ago about Andy Burnham being a future candidate for leader of the Labour party?

I can't see there would be any problem with that, no controversy or dirt to be thrown around at all. In Labour world, the overseeing of a near genocidal regime within parts of the NHS is just a technical hiccup. Just keep it all quiet, pay off a few whistleblowers, and brush it all under the carpet.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

a near genocidal regime within parts of the NHS

I'm glad everyone is keeping things in perspective.
    edited June 2013
    Spain taking on the mighty Tahiti tonight. Ludicrous amount of markets up on Betfair for it.

Spain as on may guess... unbackable.
    edited June 2013

There were rumours they were being lined up for the chopping block with Hankook replacing them. Hankook kiboshed that (although people and firms in F1 do often change their minds).

Either way, F1 needs to decide in the very near future. Pirelli can't make a new tyre for the new regulations in an afternoon and we're nearing the renewal window.

What are the new regulations - Vettel to drive this year's Maclaren to make it a 'fair' contest ?

Btw Is he just THAT good or is the Red Bull simply the best car (For most tracks).

Do wish Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel could have roughly equal cars for once !
    edited June 2013
    Repeat Good News

I know we had the headline figures for May Retail Sales this morning, but it is worth posting the full summary table. Not a single negative figure on any of the key metrics.

No wonder BenM has taken a day off.
    All Retailing, May 2013 (seasonally adj. % change)      

Most recent Most recent Most recent Most recent
    month on a 3 months month on 3 months
    year earlier on a year previous on previous
    earlier month 3 months

Value 3.1 1.5 2.1 1.1
    Volume 1.9 0.7 2.1 0.7
    Val. ex. fuel 3.7 2.2 2.3 1.3
    Vol. ex. fuel 2.1 1.1 2.1 0.6
    Looks like Jefferey's and Canmo's luck has finally run out - whatever luck they ever had - now that cheap money is runnung out. Watch for rate rises, now that Lord King is no longer at the tiller, (another mixed metaphor).
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/douglascarswellmp/100222507/the-end-of-print-money-and-pray-economics/

Neil said:

Are you actually aware how unbelievably s**t and useless, and it appears in many instances downright lethal, the NHS is compared to the health services in Scandinavia, Germany, France etc?

All you ever hear are politicians extolling the 'free at the point of use' idea, as if that is all that matters. Just gag everyone who might want to expose the reality of what's been going on. All hail the mighty NHS right?

Pulpstar said:

What are the new regulations - Vettel to drive this year's Maclaren to make it a 'fair' contest ?

Btw Is he just THAT good or is the Red Bull simply the best car (For most tracks).

Do wish Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel could have roughly equal cars for once !
    Sadly it's not just the car: it's the support the driver gets from within the team. There are some famous cases (and some not-so famous cases) of drivers being nobbled by their own team, and some interesting cases of intense rivalries between the different halves of the garage.

An F1 champion has to be a complete package: a brilliant driver, with the right car, and with the right support from the team.

The real greats - such as Schumacher - win their championships in different teams. Although much of his team at Ferrari was the same from the Benetton days, especially Brawn.
    Mr. Pulpstar, that's a good question.

Vettel is a fantastic driver. In terms of qualifying he's probably equalled only by Hamilton, he has great mental strength and, contrary to the (somewhat understandable) view of many he can overtake well too.

However, he has benefited from generally having the best car. His most impressive title win by a mile was his first, in 2010. Then, the title was very close (about 5 realistic competitors reminded in the penultimate race, I think), and he suffered poor reliability.

In 2011 his car was simply better than everyone else's by a mile.

In 2012 things were more complicated. He suffered some reliability issues but also benefited (net) due to those other drivers faced (not just McLaren's reliability woe, but also Alonso being taken out in Spa). The Red Bull was not the fastest car for most of the season, but it was always competitive. McLaren was generally faster but bad pit stops, strategy and reliability meant they didn't win when they should've had both titles. Ferrari started off with a dog of a car, and although it recovered to a large extent Alonso's two retirements (neither his fault) cost him the title.
    AveryLP said:

Repeat Good News

I know we had the headline figures for May Retail Sales this morning, but it is worth posting the full summary table. Not a single negative figure on any of the key metrics.

No wonder BenM has taken a day off.

All Retailing, May 2013 (seasonally adjusted percentage change)

Most recent Most recent Most recent Most recent
    month on a 3 months month on 3 months
    year earlier on a year previous on previous
    earlier month 3 months

Value 3.1 1.5 2.1 1.1
    Volume 1.9 0.7 2.1 0.7
    Val. ex. fuel 3.7 2.2 2.3 1.3
    Vol. ex. fuel 2.1 1.1 2.1 0.6
    Heard on the BBC at lunch that these figure are meaningless and should be taken with a pinch of salt. This by their latest Female Scottish Expert.

Ben is away today trying to stave off disaster for his markets portfolio. He,he.

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking
    Former CQC chief executive Cynthia Bower, deputy Jill Finney and media manager Anna Jefferson named in UK baby death 'cover-up' probe
    BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking
    More details about Care Quality Commission staff linked to "cover-up" of deaths of babies in Cumbria http://bbc.in/19kUZ91
    All hail the mighty NHS right?
    The stakes here are very high. Labour enjoys big leads on public services in the polls, as Tim has correctly pointed out.

The tories are trying to establish a narrative of serial failure, callousness and cover-up on Labour's watch. So far the tories have failed completely.
    NHS 'cover-up' names revealed by CQC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22992625

One thing strikes me: they are all women. During the banking bust, we were told by some (including Harman and Zahawi) that it would not have happened if there were more women in the top jobs in the city. I doubted that, as the women who made it to the top would have the same risk-taking characteristics as the men.

I therefore find it interesting that women at the top of a major organisation allegedly make such a reprehensible and antisocial decision.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Neil said:

I'm sure there's a computer game that you could make: nurses and administrators throwing coffins at the (old) hero who has to dodge them...
    Andy_JS said:

@tpfkar

Andrew Teale's by-election review blog is always informative:

http://blog.englishelections.org.uk/

In his introduction he says that all the by-elections this week are in Labour held seats. Not true; Iain Stewart is Tory MP for MK South. Apart from that there's plenty of history but little insightful analysis really.
    I notice all three so far named in the cover up are women. So another proof that the female of a species are the dangerous ones.
  • MarchesMarches Posts: 51
    MikeK said:

Looks like Jefferey's and Canmo's luck has finally run out - whatever luck they ever had - now that cheap money is runnung out. Watch for rate rises, now that Lord King is no longer at the tiller, (another mixed metaphor).
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/douglascarswellmp/100222507/the-end-of-print-money-and-pray-economics/

Why do you think that there will be rate rises?

@tpfkar

Thanks for the update in Milton Keynes contest.
    Looking at past results and today's candidates, I was unshamefully wondering what kind of effect having a candidate called Mohammed Khan could have on the outcome in that ward given the last 2 elections have been decided 50 votes one way or the other.

In Emerson Valley he increased the Labour share by around 1% compared to 2011. Is the increase in line with the rest of the city 2012's performance? How is the 21-22 Labour % in Emerson Valley compared to their potential in that kind of ward in your opinion?

Mohammed Khan owns a restaurant and I believe is well known at Bletchley Mosque. So I'd think his candidacy would be positive overall for Labour, but it would be silly to exclude the possibility of some votes going to UKIP as a result.

Emerson Valley: I make Labour up 3% 2011-12 on 3-way split, but can't compare as not a target ward for them. Having delivered many streets in the ward, most of which were fields 15 years ago and are now middle-class suburbia, it's a typical ward you'd expect Labour to be nowhere in.

CQC.

They coalition's deliberate strategy is to get some senior apparatchiks out into the open. Who knows what they might be prepared to say about the politicians who controlled them at the time these events happened, just to save their own miserable skins.
    taffys said:

All hail the mighty NHS right?
    The stakes here are very high. Labour enjoys big leads on public services in the polls, as Tim has correctly pointed out.

The tories are trying to establish a narrative of serial failure, callousness and cover-up on Labour's watch. So far the tories have failed completely.

Given the North Korean levels of indoctrination that the public have had forced down their throats about the infallibility of the NHS, I'm not surprised that the party of missinformation leads on the monolithic behemoth.

Someone needs to explain to Mr and Mrs electorate that their general wellbeing and lfe expectancy would be higher under a Swedish or German style health system.

If the NHS is so bloody brilliant why isn't it copied throughout the rest of the developed world?

• MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Does anybody know if the Aberdeen by-election is being counted tonight?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Gay Marriage Bill moving very quickly in Lords.

Just one more day for Committee stage next week and Report stage has already been scheduled - for 2 days - 8 July and 10 July.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Does anybody know if the Aberdeen by-election is being counted tonight?

I believe it is, as BBC Scotland has a Newsnight special from the count.

If the NHS is so bloody brilliant why isn't it copied throughout the rest of the developed world?

It isn't the actual type of health we provide that's at stake here, but labour's reputation on health - an absolute cornerstone for them.

If the coalition can disarm labour on this issue, that is a big fillip. So far they have failed miserably !!!!
    tim said:

taffys said:

CQC.

They coalition's deliberate strategy is to get some senior apparatchiks out into the open. Who knows what they might be prepared to say about the politicians who controlled them at the time these events happened, just to save their own miserable skins.

You do realise that
    ...the managers involved were appointed under Labour, one of whose appointment was criticised by Shadow Health SoS, Lansley at the time because of her involvement in Mid Staffs and the then Labour government's refusal to hold an inquiry?

And you think this has nothing to do with Labour?
    tim said:

taffys said:

CQC.

You do realise that "these events" ie the report and the alleged cover up happened when the coalition were in power don't you.
    So I'm not really sure who you are alleging the politicians who "controlled them at the time" were.

The tories are trying to establish a narrative of serial failure, callousness and cover-up on Labour's watch.

You might like to look at the timings, I don't think you've quite understood.
    Labour appointees burning the evidence after regime change, tim.

We see it happen whenever a totalitarian government falls.

This discussion has been closed.