Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 26 days after losing his seat to the SNP Charles Kennedy di

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 26 days after losing his seat to the SNP Charles Kennedy dies at the age of 55

A police statement earlier this morning said simply “Police officers attended an address at Fort William on Monday, June 1 to reports of the sudden death of a 55-year-old man. Police were notified by ambulance service personnel. There are no suspicious circumstances.”

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    RIP a great politician
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited June 2015
    How terribly sad. I had my views about him in life, but he seemed an enormously down to earth and engaging man, and I liked his wit and humour. He has also been in the frontline of British politics throughout my active interest in it since my mid teens (and considerably further back than that from his perspective), and so it will be very strange not seeing him on screen anymore having been an ever-present on QT, This Week, the news etc all my adult life.

I feel for his family. RIP.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited June 2015
    Two rules to remember:

1) Correlation =/= causation, and
    2) Never speak ill of the dead.

:off-on-holiday:
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,022
    Incredibly sad. I may not have agreed with many of his positions but he was undoubtedly one of the most principled party leaders and MPs in Parliament. He made his stands on issues because he believed they were right not because they were necessarily going to win votes. And of course he was absolutely right on Iraq.

RIP.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    Did I really hear John Prescott reported as saying that Kennedy got it right over Iraq?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Though I never agreed with him politically he was always a politician I respected. Seemed principled. Terribly sad for his family and friends. RIP.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

runnymede said:

Lots of crocodile tears on here today I expect re. Charles Kennedy - let's not forget how his 'devastated' Lib Dem colleagues first covered up his problems and then pushed him out when he was no longer an asset (in their eyes).

None of which precludes the fact they feel desperately sad about someone they knew well and probably liked very much on a personal level dying well before his time and leaving a young son without a father.
    I wonder what the actual ratio is in society might be between people who feel the way you describe and those who do not understand at all why such people would feel particularly emotional about such a thing.
    How many people do you think are unable to feel emotions at the death of a longstanding colleague and possibly a close friend, they being the 'such people' in this example?
    I think you have misread what "runnymede" wrote. He said "on here".
    So where Runnymede was making a point about 'devastated' ld colleagues (colleagues is key, that indicates people who knew Kennedy) treating Kennedy poorly, something for people on here to bear in mind when crying crocodile tears, you were making a pb point?

Southam replied stating ld colleagues who may treated Kennedy poorly re the covering up drinking Runnymede referred to etc did not preclude them feeling sad about his death. He said ' someone they knew well' in relation to Kennedy. That's clearly a reference to people who knew Kennedy feeling sad whatever happened politically.

You then wondered how many of society felt the same or wouldn't understand why those people - in reply to Southam who was talking about ld colleagues of Kennedy - would feel emotional. That gives an implication of thinking some ratio of the public think those colleagues would not feel emotions and therefore that you might be one of those people who thinks that, hence my making it a question not a statement.

I apologise if I have misread your intent but following my chain of thought above I trust you will see the reasoning behind it and genuine confusion. I certainly did not miss runnymeades post, but yours as laid out does not appear to reference the same people.

If you meant to comment on people professing emotion on here that was most unclear given the reference to 'such people' feeling emotional in reply to a post referring to ld colleagues of Kennedy being emotional. You appeared to be referencing an entirely different point.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sad and shocking news.

Did I really hear John Prescott reported as saying that Kennedy got it right over Iraq?

@Mr_Eugenides: One thing I hate about political deaths is people tweeting shite like “he was a great man because he held opinion X that I agree with”.

@Mr_Eugenides: Case in point. https://t.co/B1vNjy4BJh

@Mr_Eugenides: It’s just a way of making yourself look and feel good by association. Doesn’t imply actual respect for the person’s political “courage”.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    I thought he had an outside chance of becoming LD leader a second time, he was certainly young enough and he had more goodwill towards him than those LDs who played active roles in the Coalition (their tarnishing may be unfair but it was an electoral fact, as was his popularity).

He stood up for what he thought was right. Easier if you're in charge of a third party rather than a governing one, but still a fine epitaph.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2015
    Scott_P said:

Sad and shocking news.

@Mr_Eugenides: One thing I hate about political deaths is people tweeting shite like “he was a great man because he held opinion X that I agree with”.

@Mr_Eugenides: It’s just a way of making yourself look and feel good by association. Doesn’t imply actual respect for the person’s political “courage”.
    Does Prezza do his own tweets? It seems unlikely he can spell if what he says is anything to go by.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Awful news, and a reminder to enjoy life while we've got it, as I think (despite everything) he mostly did. Just 55! I didn't know him well at all, but he was invariably mellow and pleasant when I talked to him - hard to imagine him ever getting angry and pompous like too many in the profession.

O/T - I see Paul Flynn, who is certainly on the left though very much his own man, has backed Kendall.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    His great political contribution was to stand out against the most catastrophic government decision in living memory, including Suez and appeasement. It's a pity his party stabbed him so ruthlessly once he was down on his personal circumstances.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Will the musical tribute to Charles Kennedy be as good as this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCZvYu0QBA
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    kle4 said:

I apologise if I have misread your intent but following my chain of thought above I trust you will see the reasoning behind it and genuine confusion. I certainly did not miss runnymeades post, but yours as laid out does not appear to reference the same people.

If you meant to comment on people professing emotion on here that was most unclear given the reference to 'such people' feeling emotional in reply to a post referring to ld colleagues of Kennedy being emotional. You appeared to be referencing an entirely different point.

Seeing your explanation, I can understand now why you took that from runnymeads post, I read the second part of his post which you seem to have picked up on as him apportioning blame to the party over matters.

My speculation was completely separate to any individuals who knew Kennedy on a personal basis.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    I don't normally do reposts but I thought my previous belonged here rather than the previous thread.

Morning all :)

Charles Kennedy was only eighteen months or so older than me so his death raises those questions you don't like to think about too much.

I knew him more in the late 80s and early 90s when I was politically quite active in Sutton and elsewhere. I had first met him at a Liberal Assembly when he spoke on the fringe and then he was the only SDP MP who openly supported the merging of the two parties in 1987 (Robert MacLennan came along later in the process).

I was delighted to see him as President of the Liberal Democrats and he was the obvious choice to take over from Paddy in 1999. He may not have has Paddy's relentless energy but he worked hard for the party and I remember him campaigning in Romsey in 2000 to get Sandra Gidley elected.

He came to the Beddington Zero Energy Development (BedZed) soon after it opened and I was invited as a Party member to go along as one of the crowd but it was great to see him and he gave an impromptu address to us afterward which was full of wit and humour.

Much of the real business of Party Conferences (as those who have attended them will know) is done at the bars and the fringe meetings so to see him or another MP at a bar raised no eyebrows back then and I had no idea back then there was any problem.

Charles had the good fortune of leading the Party at a time of unprecdented Conservative weakness and opportunity and his courage in opposing the Iraq War, in the face of vitriolic comments from much of the Press, was incredible and he was able to reach out beyond the normal core Liberal Democrat vote into Labour areas as well as Conservative ones.

2005 was a disappointment - the Conservatives dumped IDS just in time and retreated to their core handing the election to Blair. Had Labour fallen short of a majority - well, I've often wondered what Charles would have done ? The circumstances of his departure from the leadership are well documented and didn't reflect well on the Party but as someone else once said "politics is a rough trade" and it takes no prisoners.

To lose a parent at any time is difficult as I can attest but to lose both a father and to be thrown out of a job after over thirty years must have been doubly hard. Perhaps, instead of gloating at the fall of political opponents, we might ourselves consider these are human beings with all that entails and consider whether their misfortune is really worth all our glee.

RIP Charles Kennedy 1959-2015
  • Options
    PeterC said:

His great political contribution was to stand out against the most catastrophic government decision in living memory, including Suez and appeasement. It's a pity his party stabbed him so ruthlessly once he was down on his personal circumstances.

Any serious political party would have done. I don't think there was some curiously liberal perfidy there. No MP wants to walk towards an election led by someone they perceive as a liability, and that's - rightly and properly - how politics should work. It's not fair to people at an individual level but I think all participants know that. The electorate are certainly capable of unfair and even vindictive decisions. MPs by contrast tend to be more rational - self-preservation is a powerful incentive - but often the logic of self-interest is a harsh one.
  • Options
    His speech at the count recognising that not only was he out of a job, as were many of his MP colleagues, but so were their staff was something I’m glad the BBC reposted.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    For those after tennis tips untainted by the Curse of Morris Dancer, Mr. Manson's posted a few on the previous thread (near the top).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,298
    An insightful & sensitive piece from Al Campbell.

http://tinyurl.com/qjvrpm8
  • Options
    Mr. Manson, where d'you get the head-to-head stats from? Betfair's statistics have returned but offer inferior information compared to their previous form.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    So sorry, a principled man, with some flaws who even so, many people respected and will miss.
  • Options
    @OchEye welcome.
  • Options
    Mr. Eye, welcome to pb.com.
  • Options
    I woke up this morning to hear the 6 o'clock headlines on the Today programme, when they interrupted with this news. Shocking and a big loss.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

For those after tennis tips untainted by the Curse of Morris Dancer, Mr. Manson's posted a few on the previous thread (near the top).

My grateful thanks to Mr Manson for posting his tips - but I fear that you have raised the curse of the Black Spot just by referring to them obliquely. What a shame.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Very sad news. Arguably the most successful LD leader. His opposition to Iraq provided a vital democratic outlet.

Quite unfair that he didn't get to see his party rebuilt after the coalition (he opposed).

And to those who point out that he was flawed, we all are. Some people are just better at hiding it.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    edited June 2015
    Scott_P said:

Sad and shocking news.

Sad news and I agree about the self serving tweeting. I must say I disliked Kennedy and all his political opinions. It is however very sad for him and his family and a great shame, a tragedy, that though he must have been unwell that he was not able to take the rest he needed.
    Someone mentioned his age. 55. I has 2 bosses who died of heart attacks at their desks aged between 55 and 57. My own father suffered his first major angina attack at 55. A further one at 57 caused his retirement, but he died of a stroke at 62. He did not smoke or drink, but 'pressure' no doubt can have the same effect. So my understanding of Mr Kennedy's early death is quite crystal clear. The ages between 55 and 60 are telling ones for men. I have managed to make it to 64 so far.
  • Options
    Mr. M, we'll see, I suppose.

*sighs, and returns to the leper colony on the island in the river, hoping the authorities remember to lower a basket of food from the bridge above*
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Paul Goodman:

"Charles Kennedy, and the heartache of losing your seat":

http://www.conservativehome.com/leftwatch/2015/06/charles-kennedy-and-the-heartache-of-losing-your-seat.html
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Charles Kennedy was 53 days younger than John Smith.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    The tributes to Kennedy from both Blair and Campbell show just how closely politicians from different parties can work together and get on beyond the glare of publicity. Given Kennedy's position on the Iraq war and the strong words he had for both Blair and Campbell,
    what the two have said/written today is all the more remarkable. It might be nice to see a bit more of this in the open, but I guess the confrontational nature of our politics does not allow it.
  • Options
    Strangely, by some oversight, the BBC website front page makes no reference to Mr Kennedy's death, although it leads on the UK News.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Mr. Flightpath, it's the top story on the BBC News website.

Edited extra bit: urgent Greek debt crisis talks as deadline looms, part 97:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32970661
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    Just catching up with the news. Shocking. One of the really good guys has gone.
  • Options
    And in the contest of people to make completely inappropriate political comments Matthew Oakeshott was an early contender, only to be overtaken by Alex Salmond on the bend
  • Options
    @flightpath - CK's death is on front page of BBC Website.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Very sad news.

I thought on his last appearance on Question Time that he seemed to be in trouble but nobody could have foreseen such a sudden tragic turn of events.

I voted Lib-Dem in 2005 because of Charles Kennedy's stance on Iraq... It's Undoubtedly this stance that he'll be remembered for.
  • Options
    Lembit Öpik:

"Charles Kennedy was one of a kind - a gentle soul who never really coped with the pressures of an abrasive career. Heartbreaking news"

https://twitter.com/lembitopik
  • Options
    @Flightpath - '50s a dangerous decade for men as you point out so clearly.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    edited June 2015
    This letter from Charles Kennedy brings a smile

https://twitter.com/GeorgeAylett/status/605656946457354240
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Very sad news.

I thought on his last appearance on Question Time that he seemed to be in trouble but nobody could have foreseen such a sudden tragic turn of events..

@AndrewSparrow: The truth behind Charles Kennedy's final go on Question Time, which prompted false drunk claims - by @severincarrell http://t.co/kgtnVgkgHn
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Strangely, by some oversight, the BBC website front page makes no reference to Mr Kennedy's death, although it leads on the UK News.

You may have inadvertently changed your default page on the BBC's news site. CK RIP is and has been for some time the lead story on Home, UK and Politics, and presumably others too, like Scotland, but not on World news.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    A sad day for his family and friends. May he rest in peace.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Sad news, Feel sorry for his little lad.

There must be a lot of MPs who on losing their seat have a real tough time of it. I suspect we often don't hear about their stories.
  • Options
    Rugby union: Cipriani arrested:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-32970302

With Hartley out (punch, I think), Tuilagi (more violence) and maybe Cipriani, what's going on with English rugby players?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

And in the contest of people to make completely inappropriate political comments Matthew Oakeshott was an early contender, only to be overtaken by Alex Salmond on the bend

The favourite wins.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

With Hartley out (punch, I think), Tuilagi (more violence) and maybe Cipriani, what's going on with English rugby players?

Can you imagine the fuss if they were footballers?

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited June 2015

There must be a lot of MPs who on losing their seat have a real tough time of it. I suspect we often don't hear about their stories.

Most of them have plenty of money saved, a big severance package and lot's of lucrative contacts to help them get high paying job's elsewhere...

It's not exactly the same as being given the sack from your checkout job at Tesco... ;)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Happened at 5am - could be a morning after the night before job.
  • Options
    TedTed Posts: 8
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

The favourite wins.

I think Lord Oakeshott's comments as reported in the Daily Mail ("it was the drink that got him") probably wing the race.
  • Options
    Lord Steel says Charles Kennedy wasn't expecting to lose his seat:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-32964600

"Former Liberal leader David Steel says he will miss Mr Kennedy as a "very dear friend" who was "great fun to be with".

He says Mr Kennedy "understood" the rise of the SNP in Scotland, but "wasn't expecting to be swept away by it" at the election.

"I know that from the conversation I had with him just before the election but, you know, that's politics. That happened and he was just swept away in the tide.""
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, when was a footballer last penalised, in career terms, for comparable behaviour? [Not my area, so maybe it's a lot/recently].

Mr. Flashman (deceased), perhaps. Maybe we'll find out.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    GIN1138 said:

Most of them have plenty of mone saved, a big severance package and lot's of lucrative contacts to help them get high paying job's elsewhere...

It's not exactly the same as being given the sack from your checkout job at Tesco... ;)
    Some will certainly have all that. And some will have professions and jobs they can go back to. But some will not have been all that important or have many lucrative contacts, many of whom I suspect will vanish once the MP is no longer an MP. They are certainly no worse off and in may cases better off than many but it would still be an interesting story to learn how people manage.

It's not a case of feeling sorry or not for MPs but rather understanding how people make the transition from one career to another, often at a moment's notice and at a time when it can be harder to adjust.

• Options
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,298
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

The favourite wins.

You okay, hun?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    I think I read something the other day on Guido complaining about the nanny police of ASH. I agree with the complaints by the way.
    But...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    edited June 2015
    Very sad news, did not always agree with his policies but he made a big impact as LD leader on issues like the Iraq War and significantly increased the LD seat total from 2001 to 2005, he was also a popular figure with MPs from all sides of the House. He had health problems but certainly losing his seat after being an MP since his early 20s and his recent divorce could not have helped. RIP
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Former Liberal leader David Steel says he will miss Mr Kennedy as a "very dear friend" who was "great fun to be with".

He says Mr Kennedy "understood" the rise of the SNP in Scotland, but "wasn't expecting to be swept away by it" at the election.

"I know that from the conversation I had with him just before the election but, you know, that's politics. That happened and he was just swept away in the tide.""

Given the eulogies for Kennedy and his separation from the LD coalition tendency, then perhaps it gives an idea of how thoughtless the SNP 'tide' is.
  • Options
    Judging from the radio phone ins, Kennedy has got a reputation as the one LD MP who voted against going into coalition with the Tories at the special LD vote and argued for going into government with Labour instead. Now I know he was no coalitionista but wasn't the MP vote unanimous, or did I miss something?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Charles Kennedy seems to have been a man literally consumed by politics. My condolences to all those on here who knew him, and my thoughts are most especially with his son.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    Very sad news - but lets remember him with a chuckle:

Michael Deacon ‏@MichaelPDeacon 36m36 minutes ago
    “Paddy Ashdown is the only party leader who’s a trained killer. Although, to be fair, Mrs Thatcher was self-taught.” Charles Kennedy
  • Options
    Earlier the BBC were running the clip of Kennedy’s speech after the count when he expressed concern not only for colleagues who had lost their seats, but for his, and their staff, who would now have to look for jobs.
  • Options
    Lord Oakeshott has made some comments which probably could have waited a bit.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    GIN1138 said:

Most of them have plenty of money saved, a big severance package and lot's of lucrative contacts to help them get high paying job's elsewhere...

Yes and no. The difficulty is that there is only one UK Parliament - if you lose a job at Tesco, it's a serious blow but at least Sainsbury might have an opening. It's not obvious what MPs can do next unless they have deliberately or accidentally gained useful contacts while in Parliament (which the less prominent MPs probably haven't). Their former careers aren't necessarily still open to them - e.g. if they worked in IT 10-15 year earlier, they'll be ludicrously out of date. I was lucky, but I know people who weren't and have basically been out of work for a decade.

I used to be on the panel which helped former MPs and their families in difficulty (there's a levy on current MPs which funds this). People from before the period of good pensions and high payouts (which were I think introduced in the 70s and curtailed after 2010 - you now get two months' pay, I think) were often in real trouble. We were appalled to get requests for tiny sums (to repair a broken window, that sort of thing) from the widow of a former Prime Minister, who was living in utmost poverty in her 90s.

I shouldn't think these aspects were an issue for Charlie and I'm just responding to GIN rather than making any sort of comparison, but abruptly losing an apparently safe job is always a nasty shock, and it can't have helped his situation.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Happened at 5am - could be a morning after the night before job.
    Saw an excellent documentary about Jason Robinson who got into clubs and drink and bad company as an 18ish year old and was arrested. He says he seriously contemplated suicide because of the humiliation. But he got over it ... I am sure the Wigan club helped him as did Tuigamala in the end. Amazingly in his case none of it affected his game. I certainly at the time never guessed he was in trouble.
    BTW both of the the contestants for England fly half are from Wigan. Sam Tomkins who started as a stand off has resisted RU offers and is returning to Wigan and Wigan have a new potential world class stand off in George Williams. Some might say he is world class already at the age of 20.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,750

GIN1138 said:

Yes and no. The difficulty is that there is only one UK Parliament - if you lose a job at Tesco, it's a serious blow but at least Sainsbury might have an opening. It's not obvious what MPs can do next unless they have deliberately or accidentally gained useful contacts while in Parliament (which the less prominent MPs probably haven't). Their former careers aren't necessarily still open to them - e.g. if they worked in IT 10-15 year earlier, they'll be ludicrously out of date. I was lucky, but I know people who weren't and have basically been out of work for a decade.

I used to be on the panel which helped former MPs and their families in difficulty (there's a levy on current MPs which funds this). People from before the period of good pensions and high payouts (which were I think introduced in the 70s and curtailed after 2010 - you now get two months' pay, I think) were often in real trouble. We were appalled to get requests for tiny sums (to repair a broken window, that sort of thing) from the widow of a former Prime Minister, who was living in utmost poverty in her 90s.

I shouldn't think these aspects were an issue for Charlie and I'm just responding to GIN rather than making any sort of comparison, but abruptly losing an apparently safe job is always a nasty shock, and it can't have helped his situation.
    Thanks for that.

• Options
    Miss Vance, thanks for that quote.

Mr. Ears, I'm near certain he didn't vote for it, but couldn't say if he voted against or abstained.
  • Options
    Wasn’t it one of the Militant MP’s who was seen queuing up at the JobCentre a couple of weeks after being defeated. Think he’s someone else’s researcher now.
  • Options

Wasn’t it one of the Militant MP’s who was seen queuing up at the JobCentre a couple of weeks after being defeated. Think he’s someone else’s researcher now.

Failed Green Party leader Natalie Bennett has gone down that path.

http://order-order.com/2015/05/26/natalie-bennett-lands-new-job-as-junior-parliamentary-staffer/#_@/WrfVj8_ypsDVNQ
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    RIP Charles Kennedy.

Didn't agree with him on his stance on the pro EU and on immigration but we proberly on same page on social justice.

The man turned out to be a giant in politics on the Iraq war debate and his party were wrong in my view of getting rid of a principled politician leader who had his troubles.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

AC goes up in my estimation. Lovely genuine piece.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

All the best in the future Mr Palmer.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Re the conversation between Mr Palmer and Gin
    I do not particularly complain at MPs salaries or expenses or severance. Not only of course is it an unsure future but it also takes time and dedication to get a seat and get elected. This can also affect an outside career. I think critics of employment terms should remember that.
    As ever however when someone puts themselves in the firing line they will get shot at. That is part of the job of being an MP. Part of the price. That's why we are still better than Russia, where even now its the opponents of politicians who literally get shot.
    For us, as Enoch said, 'All political careers end in tears'. I am sure Cameron is wise to be thinking about retiring in 5 years time.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

You may have inadvertently changed your default page on the BBC's news site. CK RIP is and has been for some time the lead story on Home, UK and Politics, and presumably others too, like Scotland, but not on World news.
    I am abroad, maybe that has something to do with it. Its on the UK news pages. Maybe that and using a tablet is the issue. Not intending a criticism of the bbc, on this at any rate. It just seemed strange. Currently it is a lower down news item, still below the Chinese tragedy.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2015
    Sad news. Especially as always for his family.

Just a random, pointless anecdote, but I saw him once when I was walking in Parliament Sq just by the security barriers in 2006 or thenabouts. I said "Good morning, Mr Kennedy" and he said "Good morning" back. I was with an American friend, showing him the sights, and he was surprised that a party leader would walk around without a bodyguard.

Politically of course he was a might-have-been, popular and principled, but, like so many, destroyed by bad luck and a lack of self-control. We will of course never know how he would have handled the 2010 negotiations had he been in Clegg's position.

Like others, I enjoyed his appearances on HIGNFY.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lord Oakeshott has made some comments which probably could have waited a bit.

Salmond's comment was not only insensitive and crass, it was also apparently untrue.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    edited June 2015
    NP Indeed, Kennedy only had 1 brief year in journalism the rest as an MP, he may well have had the profile to build a media career like Portillo or Mellor or Brandreth or Opik but for many defeated MPs after years outside their former occupations they lack the skills to get back in. A lucky few may become lobbyists, others may be able to build careers with pressure groups or the charity sector, as you have done, but it is by no means easy, especially if you do not have a high earning spouse or trust fund to fall back on, or you did not make a pile in the City or as a QC before you entered Parliament
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    All the best in the future Mr Palmer.

Seconded. NP has made many patient and thorough replies to at times hostile questions.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Barnesian said:

AC goes up in my estimation. Lovely genuine piece.
    One article can never atone for the millions of lives lost and blighted by the 'dodgy dossier'.

Campbell should keep out of public life.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    Scott_P said:

Next you will be saying it was the SNP wot done it. Give it a rest you plank.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Given the eulogies for Kennedy and his separation from the LD coalition tendency, then perhaps it gives an idea of how thoughtless the SNP 'tide' is.
    Just had to be the SNP's fault.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sad news. Especially as always for his family.

Just a random, pointless anecdote, but I saw him once when I was walking in Parliament Sq just by the security barriers in 2006 or thenabouts. I said "Good morning, Mr Kennedy" and he said "Good morning" back. I was with an American friend, showing him the sights, and he was surprised that a party leader would walk around without a bodyguard.

Politically of course he was a might-have-been, popular and principled, but, like so many, destroyed by bad luck and a lack of self-control. We will of course never know how he would have handled the 2010 negotiations had he been in Clegg's position.

Like others, I enjoyed his appearances on HIGNFY.

I remember seeing Robin Cook sat alone in the corner of the bar in Paddington Station, when Labour were in opposition pre 1997. Being free to move about unmolested is a good point when you look at what has just happened to Carswell. Also let's not forget as Ashdown points out that Kennedy was elected at 23. He never had a life outside politics which is the usual pointless refrain we always hear.
  • Options
    @jonwalker121: House of Commons to hold a session paying tribute to Charles Kennedy after PMQs tomorrow
  • Options
  • Options
    England = Ed Miliband
  • Options

England = Ed Miliband

I see joe 'we can win' root is out,pathetic.
  • Options
    Charles Kennedy had spent about 85% of his adult life as an MP. Elected at 23, lost his seat at 55.
  • Options
    Why do I get the feeling that some evolution denying religious people are going to use this as evidence for creationism?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    I win nearly £500 if the match ends before lunch or £40 green if before tea.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

England = Ed Miliband

I see joe 'we can win' root is out,pathetic.
    Someone was backing them at around 28-1 this morning...
  • Options

Stick your winnings on Sol Campbell being the Tory candidate for London Mayor!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Ballance and Bell are looking to be a real problem for England.

Who could we pick instead, I wonder...??
  • Options

i'd rather back arsenal to win the champs league and PL double next year
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2015
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/06/team-miliband-said-we-must-not-underestimate-eoin-clarke/

They would have been much better listening to another less followed Labourite internet twitter troll.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,750
    malcolmg said:

Give it a rest you plank.

Perhaps better addressed to Mr Salmond, Malc.

• Options

I'm sticking it all on the Aussies winning the Ashes 5 nil, 11/1

http://www.oddschecker.com/cricket/ashes/test/series-correct-score
  • Options
    MattW said:

malcolmg said:

Give it a rest you plank.

Perhaps better addressed to Mr Salmond, Malc.

Don't talk rubbish , saying he did not think his heart was in the Bitter Together campaign is nothing bad. Only lowlifes like you , Scott and TGOHF could try and make that out, obsessed with SNP = BAD. Sad bunch for sure.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    taffys said:

Ballance and Bell are looking to be a real problem for England.

Who could we pick instead, I wonder...??

They are grown men, surely they could put differences aside just for the Summer?
  • Options

I'm sticking it all on the Aussies winning the Ashes 5 nil, 11/1

http://www.oddschecker.com/cricket/ashes/test/series-correct-score
    more tempting... brave in the face of today's weather!