Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON lead by 11 in first post-GE15 voting poll but governmen

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON lead by 11 in first post-GE15 voting poll but government approval at minus 5

First YouGov/Sun GE20 voting poll after the election
Con 41 Lab 30 LD 7 UKIP 13 GRN 4

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Survation also carried out a poll on the 8th and 9th May that was published on the 10th of May

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Final-MoS-Post-election-poll-1c0d2h7.pdf

Con: 40%, Lab:31%, LD:6%, UKIP: 12%, SNP: 5%
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,083
    FPT:

I was just wondering what would have happened if Blair had not called the 2001 and 2005 elections at four year terms, instead of five years. We would have had an election in 2002 (Labour win), 2007 (just before the crash, Labour win) and 2012.

It is easy to see that Labour might still be in power.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,035
    There's no need for opinion polls now even if they were credible, so one can only assume that these are being done for "Don't You Forget About Me"-type business promotional reasons.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,083
    41% of people want improving standards of healthcare in the NHS. In which case, they don't want to let Andy Burnham anywhere near power.

The scum who puts the reputation of a trust ahead of patient welfare.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    Looks like a small boost for the government, even though they haven't done an awful lot yet. I guess aside from any methodological considerations the polls at this stage will be interesting for comparative rather than absolute purposes, say before and after the Budget.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

FPT:

I was just wondering what would have happened if Blair had not called the 2001 and 2005 elections at four year terms, instead of five years. We would have had an election in 2002 (Labour win), 2007 (just before the crash, Labour win) and 2012.

That ignores the secondary effects of extending those terms. Would the Tories have chosen different leaders post Hague? How would extending the Labour terms have affected the timing of the Blair/Brown handover?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    edited June 2015
    I suspect the reason why government approval is lower than five years ago is that there are no longer two parties in government, so a smaller pool to fish from
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    edited June 2015

FPT:

Think they may have been slaughtered in 2012, given that timeline and the length of time in power argument.

2002 is pretty much the same result, with the same power struggle going on. I don't think Tories would have gone for the moderniser in 2002, so IDS gets his turn. However, what saw him removed in 2004(?) happens, with Howard leading calls for an open debate as to the future of the Conservatives, and Cameron wins in 2005, formally taking the reins in early 2006.

Assuming Blair --> Brown at approximately the same time (and I'd suggest it happens slightly earlier in this timeline), we're talking an election at around the time of the Brown Bounce/Bottle, so I'd happily argue that the reasons he bottled it stand up - he wins on a significantly reduced minority. Crash hits in much the same way, expenses hit in much the same way, they're deeply unpopular in 2010 and Eurozone went into recession in 2012, a double dip that we narrowly avoided.

I think you're looking at Labour's version of 1997 in 2012 in those circumstances.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    LOL....11%...Have YouWrongGov redone their model again?
  • Options
    Okay, so England make it to lunch intact, 7% of the way down the long road to victory...
    I'm not sure too much work will be getting done this afternoon now.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,949
    edited June 2015

Mr. Carnyx, I forget who it was, but one historian type tried it (I think that was the stuff) and he struggled to avoid vomiting.

FPT Thanks for that. Mr D. If I may continue the lunchtime (!) diversion just once more: I wondered if it was Bettany Hughes but apparently not. But (perhaps unsurprisingly) I did find a pair of grad students -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neboRTpRbbU

Shorter video here by someone else, the soup can be inspected at 4:14 on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrd7qtasidc

[edited - I muddled the two]

Actually, it seems to be a rather runny black pudding ...

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Just heard Jacob Rees-Mogg explaining the nature of the HRA and the ECHR to Tulip Siddiq. A calm, assured performance even if he comes over as a posh academic.

She somehow came over as a four-year-old arguing with her parent ... "But why, mummy, why?"

Can one of the legal people on here explain what the HRA added apart from allowing Strasbourg courts to contest decisions of UK courts?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I would have thought a period of silence from the pollsters would have been in order.
  • Options
    The New Statesman points out what looks like a serious weakness in Andy Burnham's Parliamentary support base:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/06/southern-discomfort-does-it-matter-andy-burnham-cant-get-support-mps-south
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Sandpit said:

Okay, so England make it to lunch intact, 7% of the way down the long road to victory...

It's going to rain...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    44% disapproving of the record to date? I suspect they are not answering the question which was asked! It's not as if the government has actually done much yet...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Charles said:

44% disapproving of the record to date? I suspect they are not answering the question which was asked! It's not as if the government has actually done much yet...

Perhaps there were expecting the gov to have done more?

Number of babies eaten: 0

Number of Scots pushed into the sea: 0

Number of disabled people crushed underfoot: 0

It's not much, is it?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Sandpit said:

It's going to rain...
    Cook will be dancing around in his best Shaman outfit.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I suppose the 39% approving are fine!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

I suspect the reason why government approval is lower than five years ago is that there are no longer two parties in government, so a smaller pool to fish from

Do PMs typically get boosts at the beginning of their second mandate?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

It's going to rain...
    Needs to order up 2 days of constant rain :-)
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    antifrank said:

The New Statesman points out what looks like a serious weakness in Andy Burnham's Parliamentary support base:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/06/southern-discomfort-does-it-matter-andy-burnham-cant-get-support-mps-south

It's not as if they have many MPs in the south to choose from anyway,
  • Options

antifrank said:

South of Warrington they have 45 MPs in London, 25 in Wales and 21 in the West Midlands for starters. I haven't done a proper tally but roughly half Labour's Parliamentary party seems to be south of Warrington.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Charles said:

Not much love for this govt. Tories would do well to bear this in mind. Reminds me of 2005.
  • Options

antifrank said:

They have 45 in London (if you weren't being facetious) - I'm surprised, this has been the case for Burnham for the last week and I would have thought he would have targetted them to get at least one by now.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Do PMs typically get boosts at the beginning of their second mandate?
    I think all parties/PMs do after any election victory.

But would need to check properly.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    That Dan Hodges piece seem to amount to, Nigel Farage may get more seats under another system = electoral reform is bad.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

South of Warrington they have 45 MPs in London, 25 in Wales and 21 in the West Midlands for starters. I haven't done a proper tally but roughly half Labour's Parliamentary party seems to be south of Warrington.
    I think he's got nominees from Wales, no?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    EPG said:

Charles said:

I suppose the 39% approving are fine!
    It's possible to approve of a government not doing much!
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I think he's got nominees from Wales, no?
    Ah yes - sorry, the New Statesman headline misled me.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    The government approval figures (with changes from the last time the question was asked on May 4th-5th):

Approve 39 (nc)
    Disapprove 44 (-4)

Perhaps a few people who didn't approve of the Coalition government are waiting to see how Cameron does on his own, while the majority of people see a great deal of continuity.
  • Options
    We are all PB Hodges now.

Je Suis Dan
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

It's going to rain...
    Shall I go back to Headingley and start chanting "Allah u Akbar" might get the test stopped for the rest of the day?
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2015
    CD13 said:

Can one of the legal people on here explain what the HRA added apart from allowing Strasbourg courts to contest decisions of UK courts?

Before the 1998 Act, the UK was a party to the Convention, and judgments of the Strasbourg Court in cases in which the United Kingdom was a party were binding on Her Majesty's Government in international law (see article 46(1) of the Convention). The position in domestic law was quite different. While the convention could be used as an aid to the construction of genuinely ambiguous legislation, the Convention was not part of English law and public authorities were not obliged to have regard to the convention (Regina v Secretary of State for the Home Department, Ex parte Brind [1991] 1 AC 696 (HL)).

The 1998 Act incorporated certain (but not all) convention rights into domestic law. Those convention rights are to be construed having regard to Strasbourg case law (s. 2(1)). All legislation, so far as is possible to do so, must be construed compatibly with the Convention (s. 3). If legislation is incompatible with the convention, the court can so declare, although this does not affect the validity of the legislation (s. 4). Unless compelled to do so by primary legislation, it is unlawful and a breach of statutory duty for a public authority to act contrary to an individual's convention rights (ss. 6-7).

The 1998 Act has therefore made a substantial difference. The Strasbourg Court, however, impugned judgments of our courts before it entered into force. In Smith & Grady v United Kingdom (2000) 29 EHRR 493, 542-544, for example, it held that the limited scope for questioning a decision's substance in English administrative law, stated by the Court of Appeal in R v Ministry of Defence, Ex Parte Smith [1996] QB 57, violated the applicants' right to an effective remedy under article 13 of the Convention.
  • Options
    To add to the intrigue, London Labour supporters are palpably more left-wing than the Labour Party elsewhere in the country. Either the MPs don't (a) like (b) think left-wing Burnham, or (c) they are more Blairite than their constituents.
  • Options
    This has got to hurt

Labour’s next leader should look to David Cameron, not Tony Blair

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/01/labour-leader-cameron-not-blair
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2015
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Not much love for this govt. Tories would do well to bear this in mind. Reminds me of 2005.
    Its only just been elected. People may not like the medicine, but they know its good for them.... and Dave hasn't taken us into illegal war that cost millions of lives.
  • Options

This has got to hurt

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/01/labour-leader-cameron-not-blair

They don't like the guy who won 3 times, do they?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

This has got to hurt

They don't like the guy who won 3 times, do they?
    Tony Blair = Emmanuel Goldstein
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

This has got to hurt

It won't be "heir to Blair".

How about "Leading on from Cameron".

Hmm. Not quite as catchy.

• Options
    I see Juncker is doing his best to ensure Out wins

European Commission president claims Brexit "not desired by British" and David Cameron is using referendum to tie Britain to Europe permanently

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11643101/Britain-will-not-vote-to-leave-EU-says-Juncker.html
  • Options
    edited June 2015

European Commission president claims Brexit "not desired by British" and David Cameron is using referendum to tie Britain to Europe permanently

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11643101/Britain-will-not-vote-to-leave-EU-says-Juncker.html

If I were IN I'd think maybe a kidnap were in order.
  • Options

This has got to hurt

There was a piece last week which said what Labour really need is a master strategist like Osborne.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

There was a piece last week which said what Labour really need is a master strategist like Osborne.

They had one, but he's now the second-most hated figure within the party.
  • Options
    Here it is

Before Labour finds it’s next leader, it needs to find its George Osborne – and fast

http://labourlist.org/2015/05/before-labour-finds-its-next-leader-it-needs-to-find-its-george-osborne-and-fast/
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Strangely the YouGov poll appears to be 6 days old!
  • Options

Labour truly are averse to success.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

Quite. Mandelson said the first time he was rung up for advice during the campaign was the day before polling day when he was asked how to get Miliband into Downing Street if Labour came second.
  • Options
    It looks as if Presidente Juncker has realised that Cameron is a staunch Heathite.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Quite. Mandelson said the first time he was rung up for advice during the campaign was the day before polling day when he was asked how to get Miliband into Downing Street if Labour came second.
    Was Mandy’s short answer, - sack Lucy Powell? :lol:
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    Only tangentially related but only two issues have struck me in the last week (I've been v busy on work and other matters):-

1. IS apparently capturing the port at Sirte on the Libyan coast - only a few hours away from the Italian mainland and, obviously, making it much easier for them to import/export arms/people etc.
    2. The US Defence Secretary talking about UK's weakening defence role this morning.

How the Western world deals with IS seems to me to be one of the key issues of the next few years and yet there seems to be no strategy whatsoever, or none that appears to be working, anyway.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Was Mandy’s short answer, - sack Lucy Powell? :lol:

@toadmeister: Not surprised to learn Lucy Powell had a hand in the disastrous ‘Milibrand’ stunt. But Eddie Izard as well? Ha! http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2015/06/lucy-powell-the-campaign-genius-behind-the-milibrand-interview/
  • Options
    Is Nick Palmer on?

He mentioned an Islington North (?) CLP meeting, I wonder who the nominees were.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Cyclefree said:

Only tangentially related but only two issues have struck me in the last week (I've been v busy on work and other matters):-

1. IS apparently capturing the port at Sirte on the Libyan coast - only a few hours away from the Italian mainland and, obviously, making it much easier for them to import/export arms/people etc.
    2. The US Defence Secretary talking about UK's weakening defence role this morning.

How the Western world deals with IS seems to me to be one of the key issues of the next few years and yet there seems to be no strategy whatsoever, or none that appears to be working, anyway.

I think that most governments just hope it will go away. I simply can't understand the rationale for further defence cuts, when so much trouble is emerging on NATO's frontiers.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

It looks as if Presidente Juncker has realised that Cameron is a staunch Heathite.

From both their points of view, it would make more sense to engineer a fake row, to make it look as though Cameron had got important concessions. As antifrank puts it "You grunt, I groan."
  • Options

This has got to hurt

They should start by hiring Dan Hodges. But that is a hell freezes over moment.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I am sure NATO would be delighted if IS were to launch an armada against Europe..Fish in a barrel springs to mind
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Is Nick Palmer on?

He mentioned an Islington North (?) CLP meeting, I wonder who the nominees were.

It's on Wednesday.
  • Options

I am sure NATO would be delighted if IS were to launch an armada against Europe..Fish in a barrel springs to mind

IS are far from conventional. Ramadi was taken, IIRC, with just 500 men.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

I think that most governments just hope it will go away. I simply can't understand the rationale for further defence cuts, when so much trouble is emerging on NATO's frontiers.
    (1) Defence is expensive
    (2) They think cutting it won't cost votes, but a failure to spend more on something else will
    (3) Using armed force is politically risky and gives no guarantees of success or plaudits
    (4) It risks bringing tragedy closer to home in a way that's more politically damaging than letting it happen to people in faraway lands of which we know little and have little in common
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170
    edited June 2015
    Sensible move by yougov, otherwise that poll shows no real change from the election other than a shift of undecideds slightly to the Tories.

O/T Sad to hear of the death of Beau Biden from cancer yesterday at 45, the Vice President's son was attorney general of Delaware and tipped for the governorship as well as an Iraq War vet
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    FPT

Whoever it was from the Green Party speaking inordinately good sense on the wireless just now...

"not x% of GDP but we need to perform a strategic review, to decide what and who we want to be in the world and then work out how much it will cost, which could be more or less than 2%."

OK I don't agree with the Green Party's trident position, etc, but it seems an entirely reasonable approach.

Green Party defence spokesman, Rachel Johnson, was it? (oh how glorious that would be...)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170
    Cyclefree I believe the Egyptian military is heading towards an intervention in Libya sooner rather than later to head off ISIS, I agree on defence cuts, personally I would end ringfencing, certainly no reason international aid should be increased when defence dips below the NATO spending target, I believe several Tory backbenchers agree
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

(1) Defence is expensive
    (2) They think cutting it won't cost votes, but a failure to spend more on something else will
    (3) Using armed force is politically risky and gives no guarantees of success or plaudits
    (4) It risks bringing tragedy closer to home in a way that's more politically damaging than letting it happen to people in faraway lands of which we know little and have little in common

You missed out the most important one:

(5) Even if we spent twice as much, what would we actually be able to do that we and our allies can't do at the moment?

It's not lack of kit or personnel that is preventing the West confronting IS.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    White Rabbit.. Ramadi is a desert town ..deep in the territory that is controlled by IS..Italy is a couple of hundred miles away from Sirte..it would need a massive armada of sophisticated naval ships to even make the crossing..let alone mount an armed invasion.
  • Options

Is Nick Palmer on?

It's on Wednesday.

Thanks Nick. For some reason I had it in my head it was yesterday, but there will be a raft on Wednesday & Thursday this week which will bring us close to all nominated. That being said, in terms of the final numbers, the bar is so low the last few nominations could be important and are most likely to be out of sympathy.
  • Options

(1) Defence is expensive

You missed out the most important one:

(5) Even if we spent twice as much, what would we actually be able to do that we and our allies can't do at the moment?

It's not lack of kit or personnel that is preventing the West confronting IS.
    I think in our case it is. We have suffered greatly from having no carrier strike capability, anti submarine patrol assets and an army so small we can't credibly contribute to an expeditionary force.

If we'd properly funded the 1998 SDR to meets its stated objectives, and maintained that funding, then I'd agree with you.
  • Options

White Rabbit.. Ramadi is a desert town ..deep in the territory that is controlled by IS..Italy is a couple of hundred miles away from Sirte..it would need a massive armada of sophisticated naval ships to even make the crossing..let alone mount an armed invasion.

Sorry, that was rather my point.

IS haven't made their gains using the tactics, skills, materiel or numbers to make a conventional assault on Europe (where the population would be far from welcoming).

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

If I were IN I'd think maybe a kidnap were in order.
    One of Juncker's strengths is that he doesn't dissemble. Anyone with a passing knowledge of British politics is aware that Cameron is in favour of membership and doesn't want to keep coming back to the issue. It's not Juncker's problem that Cameron sometimes likes to pretend otherwise in order to square some backbenchers or recover UKIP votes. It's a good interview, and the comments on Orban are great.
    CD13 said:

J

The basic argument was that it enables people to raise issues in British courts with British judges, instead of taking their issue over the long and tortuous route to Strasbourg.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

From both their points of view, it would make more sense to engineer a fake row, to make it look as though Cameron had got important concessions. As antifrank puts it "You grunt, I groan."
    Paradoxically, this intervention from Jean-Claude Juncker implies to me that he is concerned that there is a big gap between Britain wants and what the rest of the EU is prepared to agree to and that it might not be bridgeable.

The EU will accept more change if it believes that the end result will be a permanent deal. It won't go far out of its way if it believes that Britain is going to be looking for new concessions in five years' time. By bigging up Britain's willingness to become good Europeans, Jean-Claude Juncker is looking to persuade others to show greater flexibility.
  • Options
    So it is time to get rid of our nuclear deterrent and spend the money on conventional forces yes?
  • Options
    TSE..No definitely not..
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

similar taste in yachts and oligarchs
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Re - previous thread. Whilst a change of leader in Autumn 2014 probably would not have led to a Labour victory, it surely has to be more than likely that it would have been sufficient to have prevented a Tory majority - perhaps something like the Broadcasters' Exit Poll of Con circa 315 Lab circa 240 LibDem circa 10. Such a result would have significantly altered the dynamics in the new Parliament and given Labour hope of forcing the Government out from 2017 onwards following by election reverses etc.
  • Options
    TimGeoTimGeo Posts: 20
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree I believe the Egyptian military is heading towards an intervention in Libya sooner rather than later to head off ISIS, I agree on defence cuts, personally I would end ringfencing, certainly no reason international aid should be increased when defence dips below the NATO spending target, I believe several Tory backbenchers agree

Potentially Egyptian forces could also be deployed in Yemen as part of the Saudi backed suppression of Shi-ite Houti Rebels.

• Options

TSE..No definitely not..

Nuclear weapons are as useful to us as the Parachute Regiment or the RAF.

Paras haven't done a parachute drop into combat since Suez and the RAF haven't shot down an enemy plane since either Korea or WW2.

All three of them are military show ponies.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    TimGeo said:

HYUFD said:

Potentially Egyptian forces could also be deployed in Yemen as part of the Saudi backed suppression of Shi-ite Houti Rebels.

Already refused, Egypt's Vietnam. Houthis killed Egyptian conscripts in the thousands in the 60s. Won't be going back.
  • Options

TSE..No definitely not..

Paras haven't done a parachute drop into combat since Suez and the RAF haven't shot down an enemy plane since either Korea or WW2.

The RAF needs disbanding too.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11642595/Break-up-the-RAF-and-stop-buying-British.html
    Maybe we can sell the carriers to China too, could even build more for them.
  • Options
    TSE..Like an insurance policy..we should have them because one day we might need them..even tho they are costly.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    It's full of half truth such as the two party vote increased. Yes it did but not by much and is still down from '97, '01 and '05.
  • Options

TSE..Like an insurance policy..we should have them because one day we might need them..even tho they are costly.

North Korea's works, so clearly cheaper options out there than Trident.
  • Options

The basic argument was that it enables people to raise issues in British courts with British judges, instead of taking their issue over the long and tortuous route to Strasbourg.

That worked well, didn't it?
    Number of cases against the United Kingdom allocated to a Chamber of the Strasbourg Court in 1999: 429.
    Number of cases against the United Kingdom allocated to a Chamber of the Strasbourg Court in 2010: 2766.
    [Donald et al., The UK and the European Court of Human Rights, EHRC Research Report no. 83, p. 31, table 4.1]
  • Options

That worked well, didn't it?
    Number of cases against the United Kingdom allocated to a Chamber of the Strasbourg Court in 1999: 429.
    Number of cases against the United Kingdom allocated to a Chamber of the Strasbourg Court in 2010: 2766.
    [Donald et al., The UK and the European Court of Human Rights, EHRC Research Report no. 83, p. 31, table 4.1]
    Obviously these statistics prove that British subjects don't need recourse to the ECtHR.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Who leads the SNP?

@JamesClayton5: So Sturgeon has said she won't stand on same platform with Tories in EU ref.... only Salmond said he would http://t.co/C48OdQC0Ui
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

This has got to hurt

How about "Cameron Continuity / Continuity Cameron" . . . or Labour could just pick Kendall and be competitive in their own right.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

TSE..No definitely not..

Somewhat disingenuous of you, Mr. Eagles. I am sure the Paras have skills that go beyond jumping out of planes, just at the RAF is there for more than just shooting down any aircraft. And the fact that we have not been in a war that would have required them to do so, does not mean that they would not have done so on a different history arc.

If you are a pacificist, just say so. If you think we don't need anything than a nuclear umbrella, I think you are sorely wrong.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

(1) Defence is expensive
    Pretending that IS are not getting nearer and that this increases the risk of tragedies happening to people here on the European mainland is no way to conduct foreign or defence policy. Pretending and/or hoping that other armies or other fighters will defeat IS when all the evidence is that they have failed so far, lack the will or are otherwise two-faced about what their real interests are is not much of a policy either.

I honestly don't know what the answer is but I'm pretty certain that putting our fingers in our ears and hoping that the bad people will go away is not the answer. Sooner or later a confrontation of some kind is going to happen. A march through Paris (or Rome or London or Berlin or Tunis or wherever) and Twitter expressions of solidarity will not be sufficient.

• Options
    FalseFlag said:

North Korea's works, so clearly cheaper options out there than Trident.
    Don't forget, we could sell Trident to Russia too.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

TSE..No definitely not..

Somewhat disingenuous of you, Mr. Eagles. I am sure the Paras have skills that go beyond jumping out of planes, just at the RAF is there for more than just shooting down any aircraft. And the fact that we have not been in a war that would have required them to do so, does not mean that they would not have done so on a different history arc.

If you are a pacificist, just say so. If you think we don't need anything than a nuclear umbrella, I think you are sorely wrong.
    I think you're proving TSE's point.

Trident has a role beyond actually being used.

Trident might have been and might still be used on a different history arc.

Thus the fact that Trident has not been used is not compelling as a reason to get rid of it.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I've no idea why anybody would commission an opinion poll at the moment
  • Options

I wouldn't want to ditch them given the manoeuvres of Russia and Iran recently. You just never know how the international security situation could deteriorate.

I think our nuclear defence is one of the key reasons why the West is strategically secure.
  • Options

I've no idea why anybody would commission an opinion poll at the moment

On VI nothing more frequently than fortnightly serves any real purpose.

But we should have more mayoralty polls!!
  • Options
    http://original.antiwar.com/eland/2015/05/18/what-america-should-learn-from-the-british-election/

Jobs not guns. I was amused to read Cameron being praised for his pacifism.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

(1) Defence is expensive
    Pretending that IS are not getting nearer and that this increases the risk of tragedies happening to people here on the European mainland is no way to conduct foreign or defence policy. Pretending and/or hoping that other armies or other fighters will defeat IS when all the evidence is that they have failed so far, lack the will or are otherwise two-faced about what their real interests are is not much of a policy either.

I honestly don't know what the answer is but I'm pretty certain that putting our fingers in our ears and hoping that the bad people will go away is not the answer. Sooner or later a confrontation of some kind is going to happen. A march through Paris (or Rome or London or Berlin or Tunis or wherever) and Twitter expressions of solidarity will not be sufficient.

I agree with you, and have written to my MP and the SoS for Defence to say as much.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

TSE..No definitely not..

Thus the fact that Trident has not been used is not compelling as a reason to get rid of it.
    Mea culpa. I frequently miss irony on the web, and particularly when I don't take time to read the entire thread. Thanks
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It's going to rain...
    So I run out for an hour and come back to find you were right. Mrs Sandpit is now happy that the afternoon won't be spent watching a game she doesn't understand!
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

TSE..No definitely not..

Mea culpa. I frequently miss irony on the web, and particularly when I don't take time to read the entire thread. Thanks
    I'm waiting for TSE to throw the lack of irony back on me...
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2015
    EPG said:

Obviously these statistics prove that British subjects don't need recourse to the ECtHR.

Individuals cannot be blamed for pursuing every remedy which is lawfully open to them against the government. Whether the convention rights ought to be recognised and given effect to in law is another matter. I have never seen a convincing argument for why matters of social, political and moral judgment over which reasonable people can and do disagree, should be the preserve of judges, as is inevitable if we remain party to the convention.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Cyclefree said:

Sooner or later a confrontation of some kind is going to happen.

between Saudi and Iran or their proxies, anyway. which is maybe why nobody much wants to get involved