Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Who will be the Tory London Mayoral Candidate

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Who will be the Tory London Mayoral Candidate

In less than a year Londoners will elect the successor to Boris Johnson, but who will be the Tory candidate? I suspect the candidate will someone with a high profile, and the ideal choice, would be Lord Coe, but it is believed his future is focussed upon the IOC, so who then?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,738
    edited May 2015
    Wibble. I mean first.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    According to Wikipedia, declared entrants are:

Andrew Boff, leader of the Conservative Group on the London Assembly[2][3]
    Sol Campbell, former England football player[4][5]
    Stephen Greenhalgh, businessman and Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime[6]
    Ivan Massow, financial services entrepreneur, gay rights campaigner and media personality[7]

As far as I'm concerned the field is wide open for further entrants.
  • Options
    Maybe Dave could step down a bit earlier than planned and do a job swap with BoJo?
  • Options
    Proper answer - Portillo
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT
    GeoffM said:
    » show previous quotes
    I think surbiton has the insanely brilliant idea that the LibDems could all resign at once and create those by-elections!

Just come across this:
    I think UKIP would welcome 7 by elections to get their act together, for one thing. Who knows they may even win a seat or two. :)
  • Options
    FPT
    MarkHopkins said:

Shame summer is over.

I wonder how long autumn will last?

Ahhh, but we are being threatened with Flaming June from Wednesday, just in time to save the UK global warming fraternity from their blushes.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I like Sol Campbell

Ivan Massow, financial services entrepreneur, gay rights campaigner and media personality[7]

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Double double double, Sol Campbell has won the double!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    Do we know when is the election for president of the IOC that Coe is up for? If he doesn't get that job he could go from nowhere to favourite overnight.
  • Options
    I think that both the Tories and UKIP would do very well in the Mayoral elections if they could get Jeremy Clarkson to stand. A potential winner for all seasons and a "Man of the People".
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    When will the selection take place?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,083
    "Sol Campbell is another contender, football fans can be pretty tribal and it feels like that no fan of Tottenham Hotspur will ever vote for Sol Campbell, even if he promised every Spurs fan a million pounds"

This sort of attitude shows why football is a hideous carbuncle on the face of modern society. No wonder FIFA is hideously corrupt, given the stupid mindset of many of the ''sports' supporters.

(ducks)
  • Options

Surely they've already given up?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,440
    MikeK said:

I think that both the Tories and UKIP would do very well in the Mayoral elections if they could get Jeremy Clarkson to stand. A potential winner for all seasons and a "Man of the People".

No. Not really a good candidate. Too fiery, too off-message, too controversial (at least as many people really passionately hate him as say they like him).

Campbell and Brady would at least both be different from the ordinary run-of-the-mill politicians and to judge by the previous two incumbents they seem to be the popular pick in London. I have no interest in football - however, would there really be more Tottenham Hotspur fans than Arsenal or England fans in London?

I wonder how much it matters though. Is it terribly likely that the Tories will win in London next year? Admittedly it may depend on the candidates, but I would suggest Labour should at the moment, based on every election result of the last 7 years bar Boris's narrow victory, be considered favourites. The only way I could see them losing is if they select somebody literally unelectable (and by unelectable, I'm talking about Harriet Harman - please tell me she's not standing!) to contest the mayoralty.
  • Options

I'm not sure a process let alone a timetable has been agreed yet.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited May 2015
    London - like Edinborough-Parish; Cardiff Assembly-Hall; and Stormont - are places for people to learn politics but be unused for politics. A nursery (just like this gaff when I joined it).

Lord Coe would be great for London (and better than the wife of a convicted Italian-mafias' lawyer, who also convicted). Dependent upon the IoC vote I expect the Conservatives to win. What I would really like is Sol Campbell to stand: He scored two disqualified goals in major competitions that would have done our country proud. If only....

:please-stand-sol-campbell:

Edited-to-add:

Spurs fans aint't the brightest pennies in OGH's purse.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    This thread is not approved.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Local day in Italy today.

In particular, regional elections in 7 regions.

5 held by Centre-Left (Tuscany, Marche, Umbria, Liguria by a PD incumbent plus Puglia by Vendola) and 2 by Centre-right (Veneto by Lega and Campania by Forza Italia).

Tuscany should easily be held by PD incumbent.

Vendola is not standing in Puglia after 2 terms. Former Bari mayor Michele Emiliano should win this for PD. Centre-right is running 2 candidates. Vandala's outfit is backing Emiliano.

Umbria has traditionally been a Left stronghold. However, last year they unexpectedly lost the mayoralty in Perugia. Incumbent is running again. It seems there are sill some disillusion with local PD powerhouse. Centre-right is running united here. Polls were indicating a run not as easy as before for PD.

In Marche the PD incumbent has served 2 full terms. PD had a 2 terms limit rule. So he decided to run anyway changing coalition. Now supported by NCD and Forza Italia. PD is considered favored but not a landslide.

Liguria saw a split among PD after a blood bathing primary election campaign. A PD MP left the party to run again the official candidate (a member of the incumbent regional cabinet as the incumbent governor has served 2 terms and he isn't running again). Therefore polls were indicating a pretty close race. Forza Italia is fielding one of their big (for their standards, given Silvio is the only one really counting and attracting votes one way or the other) names Giovanni Toti.

Veneto should stay with Lega. Even after an internal split with Verona mayor running on his own.

Last but not least...Campania...held by Forza Italia.....controversial PD candidate in the shape of Mayor of Salerno.....polls indicated a close race....in the last few days debate arose around former juridical problems for PD candidate...but as it is Campania, legal problems can have less impact than elsewhere

Polls close at 11 PM. Count overnight

Mayoral election....big towns voting include
    Venezia
    Agrigento
    Andria
    Arezzo
    Chieti
    Enna
    Fermo
    Lecco
    Mantova
    Macerata
    Matera
    Nuoro
    Rovigo
    Tempio Pausania
    Trani
    Vibo Valentia

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

I would find myself not voting Conservative if Sol Campbell was the candidate. Wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    What do you think Ivan Massow's chances are? He is a declared candidate at 50/1.

His sales pitch is very brave!

http://www.ivan.london/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MikeK said:

Clarkson comes from Doncaster and lives in Oxfordshire, not sure what he has to offer the average Londoner in terms of either political or administrative vision or expertise.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

I would find myself not voting Conservative if Sol Campbell was the candidate. Wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire.
    That's always struck me as a very strange saying. Spitting on someone who was on fire would actually make matters worse, not better - the extra oxygen in the water would cause it to flare up on contact and leave a deeper burn. This is why the best thing to do with someone who is on fire is smother the fire by wrapping them in some kind of heavy blanket (a fireproof one for preference).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What is it about football that turns intelligent, moral people into pathetic raving nutjobs?

(I assume your dislike of Campbell is due to football. If not, ignore the above).
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

MaxPB said:

What is it about football that turns intelligent, moral people into pathetic raving nutjobs?

(I assume your dislike of Campbell is due to football. If not, ignore the above).

What is it about football politics that turns intelligent, moral people into pathetic raving nutjobs?

Corrected for you.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    MikeK said:

As Jeremy Clarkson is a europhile, I suspect he's not going to be standing for UKIP.

More seriously: just because someone makes good TV, does not mean make them mayoral material. Politics aside, I certainly wouldn't vote for him - I think he probably fails the "good manager" and "detail oriented" tests.
  • Options
    Angela Rayner just came out for Andy. So I think Andy and Yvette both at 31 declared MPs so far.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    Barnesian said:

What do you think Ivan Massow's chances are? He is a declared candidate at 50/1.

His sales pitch is very brave!

http://www.ivan.london/

It's a vanity candidature and he has no chance. He's been failing to launch a political career for a couple of decades now.

He's an interesting character but a flaky candidate for office.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

What is it about football politics that turns intelligent, moral people into pathetic raving nutjobs?

Corrected for you.

Are people who like football and politics doubly pathetic, raving nutjobs? ;-)
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,852

I'm not sure a process let alone a timetable has been agreed yet.
    And, on previous evidence, they might not stick to it. 8 years ago, it looked like Nick Ferrari was going to be their candidate, so they extended the deadline. Then it looked like Mike Read was going to be their candidate, so they extended again. They were third time lucky with Boris.
  • Options
    Something strange is happening at Headingley - Brendon McCullum has faced six balls without scoring.
  • Options
    That's more like it - the seventh went for four. Normal service has been resumed and reports of McCullum's illness were exaggerated.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    A by-election in Braintree should be a straightforward hold if James Cleverly could be temoted back to London for a run at the top job - and it would only be needed if he won of course. He ticks a lot of London boxes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That's more like it - the seventh went for four. Normal service has been resumed and reports of McCullum's illness were exaggerated.

We need to break up this pair before they start scoring like it's a 20/20 match!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

That's always struck me as a very strange saying. Spitting on someone who was on fire would actually make matters worse, not better - the extra oxygen in the water would cause it to flare up on contact and leave a deeper burn. This is why the best thing to do with someone who is on fire is smother the fire by wrapping them in some kind of heavy blanket (a fireproof one for preference).
    A very engineer/scientist viewpoint! Think more in emotions and reflexes. Then it is a remarkably evocative saying.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

We need to break up this pair before they start scoring like it's a 20/20 match!
    Yes, got him! :D
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    MTimT said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

A very engineer/scientist viewpoint! Think more in emotions and reflexes. Then it is a remarkably evocative saying.
    Would have to be a very hot fire for water to decompose into it's two parts.

• Options
    Andrea: do you think Renzi will have a good evening?

Italy is almost unique in the Eurozone in having a popular incumbent, despite economic woes.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    I don't see why a possible by-election would be a barrier to Zac standing. His majority is now over 23k.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Corrected for you.

Quite possibly!

Mind you the Leicester City reserves know how to destroy a celebratory tour of the owners country:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/leicester-fans-call-abhorrent-players-5796016
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    GeoffM said:

A by-election in Braintree should be a straightforward hold if James Cleverly could be temoted back to London for a run at the top job - and it would only be needed if he won of course. He ticks a lot of London boxes.

Since he's only just replaced Brooks Newmark doing that might just liven up UKIP. They had to find a candidate at short notice in May, as the guy who'd worked the constituency died.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071

MaxPB said:

Corrected for you.

Quite possibly!

Mind you the Leicester City reserves know how to destroy a celebratory tour of the owners country:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/leicester-fans-call-abhorrent-players-5796016
    The comments on the ThaiVisa site are most entertaining!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    MaxPB,

"Wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire."

I always thought it was 'piss on him' . But I suppose you don't always have a full bladder.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,462
    Had tea with Her Maj in Windsor yesterday :)

Only kidding, but I did go to Windsor (via the GWR route for those interested), also went on a boat trip as far upstream as Bray.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Corrected for you.

Quite possibly!

Ouch.

I can't help but wonder what 'depraved sex acts with local girls' might be, given the writer was a Mirror journalist?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,743
    edited May 2015

MaxPB said:

Corrected for you.

That would be the lack of influence of cricket.

It is only a civilised game if it doesn't change during a 2 hour nap.

• Options

Had tea with Her Maj in Windsor yesterday :)

Only kidding, but I did go to Windsor (via the GWR route for those interested), also went on a boat trip as far upstream as Bray.

Ah, I think you must have gone over Brunel's magnificent bowstring bridge over the Thames. A much-ignored masterpiece that still looks surprisingly modern (the new railway bridge on London Road in Derby is also a bowstring, although a much more boring design).
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    We should remember that being Mayor of London does not really matter. London has a vast number of councils who do the basics of local government. Do we care who runs London Transport ? London was a good stepping stone for the Tories and Boris at the time. If a maverick socialist wins as opposed to a maverick Tory, who cares? Any tory candidate who can put the tory case well, win lose or draw, would be a good idea. Of course the betting will be of interest to some.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Of course, F1 and classical history are what make a man civilised.

If Khan wins the Labour nomination then we might have the ghastly prospect of ethnic workplace quotas and Galloway versus whoever the Conservative is. It's important the blues pick someone capable of winning.

I'd be far more relaxed about Jowell getting the gig than Khan.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Corrected for you.

Quite possibly!

Ouch.

I can't help but wonder what 'depraved sex acts with local girls' might be, given the writer was a Mirror journalist?
    Oral sex, three boys and two girls in a room etc. And one comment of "slit eye". No indications of lack of consent etc.

ie nothing that doesn't happen in the swinging lounges of Leicestershire every day of the week, every week of the year.

Where does the FIFA thing leave football as an imposer of Fit and Proper Person Tests and the Morality Police for the private lives of players?

It's interesting that the Mirror have treated the publicly funded Goldsmiths College racist as a straight piece of news, with no "vile"s, "racially abused"s, "swaggering"s, "depraved"s or "appalling"s.

I can see that Leicester City now have a marketing problem, given that they are Thai sponsored, however, plus a possible breach of contract issue. Strictly an issue for the club though.

You gotta love tabloid hypocrisy.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,292
    Oh dear, looks like another year with the diddy teams for The Rangers.
    I'm sure the fans will meet this situation with their customary equanimity and good cheer.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

I'm sure the fans will meet this situation with their customary equanimity and good cheer.

A second season in the central belt super league serves them right. The presumptive attitude of many of their fans regarding promotion at the start of the season has been rightly rewarded.
    However if they don't get promoted next year they will probably go bust, again.
  • Options

Perhaps you could improve your manners if you watched a few Rangers' fans ...
  • Options
    I know Labour are in favour of letting 16 and 17 year olds vote in the referendum, but what's their position on Sturgeon's 'double-lock' nonsense? Obviously she has an interest in fostering division, but if Labour agree they'll piss off the English [if it's close, I doubt it will be, but the double-lock is just another West Lothian Question], and if they don't it'll annoy the Scots.
  • Options

I'd suggest you could dismount from your high horse of pompous sanctimony, but I imagine your arse is welded securely in place.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    MattW said:

MaxPB said:

Corrected for you.

Quite possibly!

Ouch.

Oral sex, three boys and two girls in a room etc. And one comment of "slit eye". No indications of lack of consent etc.

ie nothing that doesn't happen in the swinging lounges of Leicestershire every day of the week, every week of the year.

Where does the FIFA thing leave football as an imposer of Fit and Proper Person Tests and the Morality Police for the private lives of players?

It's interesting that the Mirror have treated the publicly funded Goldsmiths College racist as a straight piece of news, with no "vile"s, "racially abused"s, "swaggering"s, "depraved"s or "appalling"s.

I can see that Leicester City now have a marketing problem, given that they are Thai sponsored, however, plus a possible breach of contract issue. Strictly an issue for the club though.

Actually , The issue is that they videod themselves doing it. Frankly they should be sacked for that.
  • Options

I'd suggest you could dismount from your high horse of pompous sanctimony, but I imagine your arse is welded securely in place.
    :-)

Although I'm not sure a Scottish nationalist should accuse anyone else of sanctimony, given that too many of your brethren have your noses welded in place on Salmond's arse. Poor man, it must be quite uncomfortable for him ...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170
    Ivan Massow has also said he will be running to be Tory Mayoral Candidate
  • Options

Although I'm not sure a Scottish nationalist should accuse anyone else of sanctimony, given that too many of your brethren have your noses welded in place on Salmond's arse. Poor man, it must be quite uncomfortable for him ...
    Zinger.

Since pompous sanctimony is a different thing from arse crawling I'm not quite sure where you're going with that leaden retort. Perhaps in Jessop world they're intimately connected.
  • Options

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

Corrected for you.

Quite possibly!

Ouch.

Actually , The issue is that they videod themselves doing it. Frankly they should be sacked for that.
    And shared it with at least one other person.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Zinger.

Since pompous sanctimony is a different thing from arse crawling I'm not quite sure where you're going with that leaden retort. Perhaps in Jessop world they're intimately connected.
    Play nicely boy's! :)
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    I personally think Sol Campbell would be a completely disastrous choice for the Conservative party. I recall, during the election campaign, reading a Guardian interview with Campbell, were he came across as completely self-obsessed and the epitome of narcissism, proclaiming that we he'd grown up, there had been 'no safety net'. Given that Campbell was born in the 70s, that is actually impossible, and would have grown up in the 80s and 90s - when a welfare state did indeed exist, that is actually impossible. In order for the Tories to win the London, they need a fairly moderate candidate, or at least one that come across that way, and can relate to people. Boris Johnson, to all intends and purposes came across as a 'moderate' Conservative to Londoners, in what is a metropolitan, liberal, centre-left city. Sol Campbell, does not come off as a moderate at all tbh, and if anything will probably have issues attempting to understand the London electorate - something which is vital.

I'd argue the ideal candidate for the Conservatives, who could genuinely win would be Zac Goldsmith - someone who isn't too ideological, and quite people-friendly. It would be a shame if Conservative HQ didn't back him.
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, still wondering what you make of Sadiq Khan's proposed ethnic workplace quotas. Surely discrimination based on race is entirely unacceptable?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2015
    Sun Night early evening entertainment( video) (repeat)

http://news.sky.com/election/constituency/404/morley-and-outwood
  • Options

It'll be interesting to see if Jenkyns manages to hold on in 2020, any further changes in constituency boundaries notwithstanding. Without Ed Balls as an opponent, will she find it easier or harder?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, it'll be tricky. The seat was a notional 10,000 majority for Balls in 2010, but his special charisma made that just 1,000 that year. Losing was down to a combination of substantial Conservative effort and Labour buggering it up.

Outside the polling station there were plenty of Jenkyns placards, and not a single Labour one, which was bizarre.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm not saying I laughed when I saw the Sevco result but, well, no I laughed.
  • Options
    Southampton has 25000 Poles, 1/10 of the population, but on the whole they have integrated well as detailed in this Daily Mail article. Bloody immigrants coming here, setting up businesses, reviving local high streets...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2613565/Polish-invasion-thats-SAVED-home-town-An-influx-25-000-Poles-left-Southamptons-schools-bursting-locals-feeling-pushed-But-BARBARA-DAVIES-grew-theres-story.html

• Options

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

Corrected for you.

Quite possibly!

Ouch.

And shared it with at least one other person.
    That would be the issue - the publishing.

Still a matter for the club not the outrage-trolls, though.
  • Options

Lowering the tone, would they go away if he farted?
  • Options
    I'd just like to apologise to Theuniondivvie; I've read back on my initial post and it was unnecessary.

Sorry.
  • Options
    Sarah Champion to nominate Creagh for Lader
  • Options
    I'm just looking at the Italian political landscape. I must confess that while I'm a bit of a student of Spanish politics, I know next to nothing about Italy.

However: I have a few conclusions (and Andrea, feel free to correct me):

* The "Right" in Italy has been buggered royally by having Berlusconi as its head. Forza Italia (formerly People of Freedom, formerly Forza Italia...) is running at just 10-13% in the polls.

* The other right wing parties are "Us with Salvini" and the Lega Nord. (Which are right wing, regional, and somewhat Eurosceptic parties for the South and North of the Country.) Between them, these parties should get around 15% of the vote.

* Beppe Grillo's Five Star movement has recovered somewhat in the polls of late, but it still only at around a 20% share. Do you know what the Five Stars are (I didn't): they are the idea that the primary concerns of the Italian government should be (and I'm not joking) access to public water, sustainable transport, sustainable development, free Internet access, and environmentalism.

* And then there is Renzi's Democratic Party, which - although it's fallen from its highs - is still 20 odd points clear of the field in the mid to high 30s in the polls.

What is interesting about the Italian political landscape is that there are three groupings who are broadly eurosceptic (although not in the same way), and who together are in the high 40s in the polls. And there is one centre-left, europhile party which is in the high 30s. The other centrist political parties have all essentially disappeared (Civic Choice, New Centre-Right, etc.)

I would guess a good result for Renzi tonight would be victories everywhere except in the Lega Nord heartland. A bad result would be if the Five Star Movement actually won something, or if "Us With Salvini" made a breakthrough in the South.
  • Options
    Has there been any movement on Venice and its environs in their bid to become independent?
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661

I'd just like to apologise to Theuniondivvie; I've read back on my initial post and it was unnecessary.

Sorry.

*happily puts rolled up newspaper back in its holster*
  • Options

It'll be interesting to see if Jenkyns manages to hold on in 2020, any further changes in constituency boundaries notwithstanding. Without Ed Balls as an opponent, will she find it easier or harder?
    If she's been to the Magic Weekend she might find it easier.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    @rcs1000

In terms of regional elections, I would guess

Great for PD: winning 6 out of 7
    Good: confirming the 5 holds with good leads
    OK: confirming the 5 holds even if with some shaking majorities
    Disappointing: 4 wins
    Bad: everything below 4

Turnout at 19:00

Veneto 43.1%
    Liguria 39.5%
    Tuscany 35.5%
    Marche 34.1%
    Umbria 39.9%
    Puglia 30.6%
    Campania 35.9%

No direct comparison available with previous cycle as last time they voted in 2 days
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

I know Labour are in favour of letting 16 and 17 year olds vote in the referendum, but what's their position on Sturgeon's 'double-lock' nonsense? Obviously she has an interest in fostering division, but if Labour agree they'll piss off the English [if it's close, I doubt it will be, but the double-lock is just another West Lothian Question], and if they don't it'll annoy the Scots.

Mr MD, "Sturgeon's 'double-lock' nonsense" (and I agree that it IS nonsense) can be answered in several ways:
    1) The United Kingdom is NOT a federal state, so the country votes as one entity.
    Previous referendums have established this precedent.
    2) The four home countries do not have equal weight, anyway.
    It would be absurd if England, Scotland and Wales all voted "OUT", and Northern Ireland voted in "IN", to let the tail wag the dog.
    3) You can turn the "double-lock" on its head.
    The vote is "YES" for "STAY IN". You can say that if any of the four home countries votes "NO" then this acts as a VETO.

• Options
    Mr. Disraeli, precisely.

She's simply seeking to foster division, which is the SNP's modus operandi when it comes to the UK.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Sorry.

Fair enough, apology accepted.
    You certainly gave the impression of looking for a dust up, apologies if I took up the challenge too enthusiastically.

Your arse is symbolically freed from the saddle of self righteousness.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Classy gooners... clue for sol.

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has led fans in an expletive-laden chant during the club's FA Cup victory celebrations.

The 23-year-old took to the microphone in front of thousands of fans outside the club's Emirates Stadium, mocking Premier League rivals Tottenham.

Wilshere sang two anti-Spurs songs on a balcony alongside his team-mates.

He launched a similar attack during last year's victory celebrations. The club is yet to comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32950405
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @LabourList: Andy Burnham surpasses 35 endorsement mark with backing from new MPs http://labli.st/1HY6gjZ
  • Options

Sorry.

Fair enough, apology accepted.
    You certainly gave the impression of looking for a dust up, apologies if I took up the challenge too enthusiastically.

Your arse is symbolically freed from the saddle of self righteousness.
    Cool.

Although as an ex-public schoolboy, my arse might like the saddle of self-righteousness (especially if combined with PB Moderator's rolled up newspaper).
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Mr. Disraeli, precisely.

She's simply seeking to foster division, which is the SNP's modus operandi when it comes to the UK.

Cameron needs to put Salmond and Sturgeon back in their boxes, and quickly.
    The government reaction to the SNP should be to ignore them completely. They represent only a small fraction of MPs and and any concessions made to them will be met only by a new list of demands. They really can't win by engaging with the Nats.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2015
    Disraeli said:

Mr MD, "Sturgeon's 'double-lock' nonsense" (and I agree that it IS nonsense) can be answered in several ways:
    1) The United Kingdom is NOT a federal state, so the country votes as one entity.
    It would be absurd if England, Scotland and Wales all voted "OUT", and Northern Ireland voted in "IN", to let the tail wag the dog.
    The vote is "YES" for "STAY IN". You can say that if any of the four home countries votes "NO" then this acts as a VETO.
    There is not a cat in hell's chance of the "double lock" securing a majority in the House of Commons (every Conservative MP and many others will be opposed).

Moreover, it is pointless, because the Bill provides for a consultative referendum only, rather than one which binds the government. If the Bill obliged a Minister to do something (as in 1979 or in 2011), then an amendment making that obligation conditional on turnout or approval by all the constituent parts of the United Kingdom makes sense. The current Bill simply requires the Chief Counting Officer to certify the total number of votes cast in favour of each answer (see clause 3 of the Bill, applying section 128(6) of the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 to the referendum). Any government will be able to regard that certificate as conclusive of the result, regardless of whether the Chief Counting Officer is required to make a separate certificate in respect of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,955

I personally think Sol Campbell would be a completely disastrous choice for the Conservative party. I recall, during the election campaign, reading a Guardian interview with Campbell, were he came across as completely self-obsessed and the epitome of narcissism, proclaiming that we he'd grown up, there had been 'no safety net'. Given that Campbell was born in the 70s, that is actually impossible, and would have grown up in the 80s and 90s - when a welfare state did indeed exist, that is actually impossible. In order for the Tories to win the London, they need a fairly moderate candidate, or at least one that come across that way, and can relate to people. Boris Johnson, to all intends and purposes came across as a 'moderate' Conservative to Londoners, in what is a metropolitan, liberal, centre-left city. Sol Campbell, does not come off as a moderate at all tbh, and if anything will probably have issues attempting to understand the London electorate - something which is vital.

I'd argue the ideal candidate for the Conservatives, who could genuinely win would be Zac Goldsmith - someone who isn't too ideological, and quite people-friendly. It would be a shame if Conservative HQ didn't back him.

That's very interesting.
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, it'd also stop Goldsmith resigning as an MP if there's a new Heathrow runway. [No idea what weight the mayor has in that decision, though].
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,113

What a pompous balloon you are
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Mr. Disraeli, precisely.

The government reaction to the SNP should be to ignore them completely. They represent only a small fraction of MPs and and any concessions made to them will be met only by a new list of demands. They really can't win by engaging with the Nats.
    LOL, if only he was fit for it , you have to be joking surely.
  • Options
    Mr. G, sheathe your sword, old bean, a peace treaty has already been signed.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I'm not saying I laughed when I saw the Sevco result but, well, no I laughed.

Boxing was good after it mind you
  • Options

Mr. G, sheathe your sword, old bean, a peace treaty has already been signed.

MD, he really is a plank though, very common for him to be a pompous nether region. He really needs to get a grip.
  • Options
    Mr. G, at some point or another, most of us post something we regret.

I still feel quite the fool for confusing Queens Anne and Mary [even though it's a vulgarly recent period of history].
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Mr. Disraeli, precisely.

They are a regionally biased group and it would be unfair to pander to them in a national parliament.
  • Options

Mr. G, at some point or another, most of us post something we regret.

I still feel quite the fool for confusing Queens Anne and Mary [even though it's a vulgarly recent period of history].

MD , I may be the exception to that rule, as you know I am perfect and always a gentleman.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    What about Mr Salmond standing to be mayor of London
  • Options
    franklyn said:

What about Mr Salmond standing to be mayor of London

Why would he want to go backwards.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    Disraeli said:

That's all very well but I think Sturgeon is fundamentally right that if Scotland (or NI) votes differently to the UK as a whole that it would be tantamount to a vote to secede and would, in the SNP's case, be grounds for a further independence referendum.

The UK is not a federal state but we'd do well to start thinking of ourselves that way. We don't have a great record so far of maintaining the territorial integrity and cohesion of a unitary state spanning these islands.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, matter of scale. If the whole UK votes 70% Out, and Scotland is 50%+1 In, that's not an issue. If it's the other way around, then it becomes contentious.

On federal stuff: an English Parliament is the first order of business.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,955

Mr. Carnyx, it'd also stop Goldsmith resigning as an MP if there's a new Heathrow runway. [No idea what weight the mayor has in that decision, though].

Evening, Mr D. I did wonder about precisely that issue.