Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Scotland and the LD collapse almost completely reverses

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Scotland and the LD collapse almost completely reverses the bias in the electoral system

As we all know one of the constants in British politics over more than a quarter of a century has been that the electoral system has been “biased” towards Labour. Essentially for a given vote share the red team will have more MPs than the blue one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I agree with everything bar the final sentence. The Conservatives have worked within the existing system to make sure they do their best in it. New boundaries might well not assist them. First, the efficiencies are established on existing boundaries. And secondly, the Conservatives seem to have a campaigning advantage of understanding the existing boundaries better. Changing the boundaries could reduce the efficiencies and reduce the Conservatives' advantage over Labour of their understanding of the boundaries.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    antifrank said:

I agree with everything bar the final sentence. The Conservatives have worked within the existing system to make sure they do their best in it. New boundaries might well not assist them. First, the efficiencies are established on existing boundaries. And secondly, the Conservatives seem to have a campaigning advantage of understanding the existing boundaries better. Changing the boundaries could reduce the efficiencies and reduce the Conservatives' advantage over Labour of their understanding of the boundaries.

The thing that most struck me about May 7th was just how poor the LAB and LD ground operations were. The Tories were superb. I live in a super-marginal and LAB did not even have tellers at key polling stations. These are essential for your on the day GOTV ops.

• Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    The last sentence seems to suggest that having equal electorates would be a bad thing. Once again what is the justification for having some constituencies of 50000 and some of 80000?

I thought reports from Bedford were of a much superior Labour campaign, with the Conservatives barely visible. Presumably that changed at midnight on the 6th of May?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609

antifrank said:

The thing that most struck me about May 7th was just how poor the LAB and LD ground operations were. The Tories were superb. I live in a super-marginal and LAB did not even have tellers at key polling stations. These are essential for your on the day GOTV ops.

Labour got distracted by their hatred.

It has been said, on some days during the campaign, there were more Labour Morley and Outwood activists in Sheffield Hallam than in Morley and Outwood.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    edited May 2015
    FPT

OblitusSumMe said:
    » show previous quotes
    Point of order. My understanding was that most developed economies had a small recession around ~2001 following the collapse of the dotcom bubble, and so a deficit at that time could be viewed as successful counter-cyclical spending that prevented the UK from also experiencing a recession.

Thus the error was the failure to return to surplus from a bit later in the decade, 2004 perhaps. It is also worth noting that Brown made many attempts to cut spending in some areas in this period. There was something called the Wanless Review (I think, and perhaps some others), and there was a public sector pay cap of 2%. I think the Treasury forecasts went wrong in being too optimistic on tax revenues - something which has not changed at all with the OBR in the period 2010-2015.

Of course, from a political point of view, none of this matters. Just as it doesn't matter that Cameron and Osborne fully signed up to support the Labour spending plans at the end of your period in around 2005-8. Just as with Labour support of the ERM in 1992, the public have chosen to punish the party in office at the time, and to overlook the political consensus that existed.

DavidL said:

Not really for the UK. This shows quarterly growth over an extended period and does not show any material dip in 2001 or about that time: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2009/nov/25/gdp-uk-1948-growth-economy

The dotcom boom was largely a financial market phenomenon with remarkably little impact on the "real" economy.

The correct approach for any government of any stripe surely ought to have been that an economy that was growing above trend and throwing off excess taxes should be in surplus and that was the case in the UK for most of the noughties as the financial bubble grew.

Of course net debt was much lower then than it is now. There is an argument that the rational response is that governments should aim for modest surpluses even in trend years so as to reduce the debt/GDP ratio to a safer level as fast as possible.
  • Options
    Nice that Andy Burnham has listened to my advice

The spending deficit was too high in the years before the 2008 financial crash, Andy Burnham will say today. In a major speech this morning, the leadership candidate will say that Labour must make this admission in order to regain trust on the economy:

“If we are to win back trust we have to start by admitting that we should not have been running a significant deficit in the years before the crash.”

http://bit.ly/1eChePz
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

I agree (gritted teeth and all that) that the Tory operation turned out to be very efficient, though I think the edge was more in identification and persuasion of floating voters than in GOTV (we got out our vote, there just wasn't enough of it). But it's the cross-party professional view now that tellers are a nice-to-have extra and everyone who is willing should be thrown into knock-up (if someone says they've voted, you believe them - what else can you do?) on foot or by phone. Tellers are used where you've got people who just aren't willing to knock up, or need a break from it. The Tories didn't have tellers at many polling stations in my patch either (we had lots more FWIW, because we have a lot of older members who don't like knocking up), but notched up a good swing anyway.

Traditionalists argue that "having a presence" at the polling station is important, even if you're not using the returns, but it's generally felt that people who bother to go to the polling station have nearly all decided how to vote, and having an unknown person with a rosette smile at them isn't going to change it. That may be a bit less true with a very well-known ward councillor, but that's more of an issue at local elections. With dozens of polling stations, the candidates themselves can't be everywhere.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Eagles, mwahahahaha.
  • Options
    Gasman said:

The last sentence seems to suggest that having equal electorates would be a bad thing. Once again what is the justification for having some constituencies of 50000 and some of 80000?

I thought reports from Bedford were of a much superior Labour campaign, with the Conservatives barely visible. Presumably that changed at midnight on the 6th of May?

We deliberately hyped up the Labour ground game, and understated our own ground game.

Throughout, stealth was key to the Conservatives’ success. Not only did they know the public polls were wrong, but Tory insiders now admit they deliberately encouraged Labour to build up the myth that Mr Miliband and his union allies had the superior street campaigning machine.

The story ran, to the Tories’ amusement, that Labour had thousands more activists, better trained and motivated, saturating target seats with Labour leaflets and election messages. “But there was never any evidence of them,” one senior Conservative said. “Labour must have been moving imaginary soldiers around or something.”

The Tories, however, built a formidable army of their own. Driven on by Grant Shapps, the party’s co-chairman during the campaign, 100,000 organised volunteers joined the Tories’ “Team 2015” campaign, and were sent around the country in buses to key seats.

http://bit.ly/1Ac8eu6
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, mwahahahaha.

Well I did write a few weeks ago, Time for Labour to make a clean break from its economic past.

http://bit.ly/1KC8G8L

I've got some sensational advice for Labour coming up this weekend, which may set the cats amongst the pigeons.

PS - Is it raining bats and frogs in your neck of the woods?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    edited May 2015

There are arguments for leaving the EU, but to make them properly you in your case have to explain why being dragged along unwillingly outside the EU would be any different.
    BTW -- I do understand how difficult it is to make complex points in a few lines. I think this is going to bedevil discussion on here even more than normal over the next few weeks months years.

It might not be much better being dragged along outside, hence my reluctance to consider BOO - I don't know that we would be better off. But it's the difference, to borrow and amend from The Thick of It a bit, between being punched in the face and punching ourselves in the face. Either way, we're getting punched and that will make us angry, but at least we'd not be as much of an active participant in the punch, as they cried in defence 'You're doing the punching too, so no complaints'.

I take your point about making complex points in a few lines, and my flippant summary may not seem to help with that, but I'm reaching a breaking point on the EU and it really it not actually that complex when we get down to it, I think the Eureaucrats have it right that far at least. Do we want to be an active member actively pursuing ever closer Union and the useless bureaucratic interference that for some reason they insist must come along with the good that may come from that closer integration? No I don't, but the contempt of the EU toward those who want to reform - sorry, I just have no faith in the sincerity of its leaders who say otherwise, their actions speak loudly on that - or change the direction of travel in any meaningful way, means we are unlikely to get something which retains the positives of the EU without the negatives ever expanding.

I've been assuming I'd vote Yes in the end for years, I voted LD in the 2014 Euros for crying out loud, and like most people I don't like much about the EU, but would it really make things better to be outside of it? For one we could not keep an eye on or influence things as much. But I'm just sick and tired of it, and it will just go on and on for decades, and I no longer feel I can handle that.

They keep telling us, directly or indirectly, to put up or shut up, and in this I think they are right. And if they force that binary choice, to leave or stop complaining, even the fear of negative consequences loses its sting somewhat.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    It will take a Labour recovery in Scotland to move all those wasted second place finishes into Labour seats. And Labour have pitiful levels of support in England outside urban seats.

How to win back one set of voters without repelling the other?

The only way is to completely separate Scottish Labour from a Labour party of England and Wales, then the new Labour leader can concentrate on appealing to English voters in the towns and villages that have eluded all of their leaders apart from Blair.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Gasman said:

We deliberately hyped up the Labour ground game, and understated our own ground game.

Throughout, stealth was key to the Conservatives’ success. Not only did they know the public polls were wrong, but Tory insiders now admit they deliberately encouraged Labour to build up the myth that Mr Miliband and his union allies had the superior street campaigning machine.

The story ran, to the Tories’ amusement, that Labour had thousands more activists, better trained and motivated, saturating target seats with Labour leaflets and election messages. “But there was never any evidence of them,” one senior Conservative said. “Labour must have been moving imaginary soldiers around or something.”

That is *quite* funny
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    The electoral bias reversed? I don't know what country I'm living in any more.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452

It's a right miserable day in Cannock, although it has just stopped raining for a short while. Really hammering it down the last couple of hours.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2015
    Gerrymandering is part and parcel of the US system that we do not want here. Getting rid of rotten boroughs is simply the right thing to do, each vote should count as much as the next. Blocking the rebalancing was worthy of some third world dictatorship or Chicago.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2015
    There are two parts to the 'bias' in the electoral system, although the word 'bias' only really applies to one of them.

The actual bias in the system is the unfair constituency boundaries, which systematically give voters in Labour strongholds (expecially Wales and the North East) more MPs per voter than average. Clearly no one who is even vaguely intellectually honest can defend this, and it remains a stain on the reputation of both Labour and the LibDems that they actively conspired to prevent the anomaly being corrected.

The second effect relates to the geographical distribution of support. This is the larger of the two effects, and as Mike says it used to favour Labour but didn't in 2015, mainly because of the SNP tsunami. All the same, since the SNP say they would only support a Labour government, the net effect of the geographic distribution still favours a Labour-led government, though not a Labour majority government.
  • Options
    I am not confident that this is entirely correct. What happened in 2015 is that the Tories got a much larger winners' bonus than they did in 2010. Labour also lost their consolation prize of Scotland.

My suspicion is that if the votes had indeed been level, as indicated by the polls, significant numbers of Tory marginals would have fallen to Labour improving their efficiency and reducing that of the Tories. In Broxtowe, as an example, there would have been a significant wasted Tory vote rather than a substantial wasted Labour vote.

There is no question that the Tory campaign was very successful in the marginals where they outperformed the UNS but they did so by a relatively modest amount, under 10 seats I think. They won because they were 7 percent ahead.

Of course if the Lib Dems do not recover then the 20 odd seats taken from them by the Tories will be a permanent improvement in their efficiency.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It's a right miserable day in Cannock, although it has just stopped raining for a short while. Really hammering it down the last couple of hours.
    I have tickets to the test match for the first three days.

I'm not sure whether to hail a gondola or a taxi to take me to the ground.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

ydoethur said:

The Skyrack will be open rain or shine...
  • Options

Gasman said:

That is *quite* funny
    It has to be the greatest bit of deception since Operation Fortitude.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

antifrank said:

It has been said, on some days during the campaign, there were more Labour Morley and Outwood activists in Sheffield Hallam than in Morley and Outwood.
    Was the problem for Labour that it conducted a campaign as a moral crusade intertwined with an emotional campaign. Imposing your morals and emotions (many negative) will not be a successful basis for an election.

That tends to pull the heart strings, but they return to the normal rest position very quickly. The facts, evidence and competence that the Tory party managed to own entirely from the coalition (LibDems shouldn't have opposed and complained so much for so long) had a much longer lasting effect on the view of the floating voters.

And the Ed factor / Ed Stone / 'Edless chicken effect didn't help Labour.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If what we've had here is heading your way, I'd recommend not going at all to be quite frank. Even now it's stopped raining, the ground's absolutely saturated.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, don't believe it's raining right now, though there was heavy drizzle when I took the hound for a walk about three hours ago.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    DavidL said:

I am not confident that this is entirely correct. What happened in 2015 is that the Tories got a much larger winners' bonus than they did in 2010. Labour also lost their consolation prize of Scotland.

My suspicion is that if the votes had indeed been level, as indicated by the polls, significant numbers of Tory marginals would have fallen to Labour improving their efficiency and reducing that of the Tories. In Broxtowe, as an example, there would have been a significant wasted Tory vote rather than a substantial wasted Labour vote.

There is no question that the Tory campaign was very successful in the marginals where they outperformed the UNS but they did so by a relatively modest amount, under 10 seats I think. They won because they were 7 percent ahead.

Of course if the Lib Dems do not recover then the 20 odd seats taken from them by the Tories will be a permanent improvement in their efficiency.

Quite, the 7% poll lead did it, equal votes would have seen the bigger majority that the lead deserved. There is still gerrymandering and this needs stopping.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited May 2015

Mr. Eagles, mwahahahaha.

Well I did write a few weeks ago, Time for Labour to make a clean break from its economic past.

http://bit.ly/1KC8G8L

I've got some sensational advice for Labour coming up this weekend, which may set the cats amongst the pigeons.

Just stopped raining in West Wales and sun starting to appear - we have a very strong wind and the flags are north of horizontal.
  • Options
    philiph said:

antifrank said:

Was the problem for Labour that it conducted a campaign as a moral crusade intertwined with an emotional campaign. Imposing your morals and emotions (many negative) will not be a successful basis for an election.

That tends to pull the heart strings, but they return to the normal rest position very quickly. The facts, evidence and competence that the Tory party managed to own entirely from the coalition (LibDems shouldn't have opposed and complained so much for so long) had a much longer lasting effect on the view of the floating voters.

And the Ed factor / Ed Stone / 'Edless chicken effect didn't help Labour.
    Perhaps the key quote from that Cohen article was this one:

'Living in London aided self-deception. Immigration and the extortionate cost of housing is pushing its population leftwards, as is London’s arrogance. The capital is strong and self-confident; it makes the mistake of thinking that everywhere else thinks as London thinks.'

And as a result, they concluded (rightly) that the country would hate the Liberal Democrats (1 seat in London?) and love Labour (whoops...)

Wasting effort in Sheffield Hallam while forfeiting what should have been a very safe seat in Morley (let's face it, for anyone other than Ed Balls it would have been a 10,000 majority) was just silly.
  • Options

I agree (gritted teeth and all that) that the Tory operation turned out to be very efficient, though I think the edge was more in identification and persuasion of floating voters than in GOTV (we got out our vote, there just wasn't enough of it).
    Nick, did you not see part 23 of the Pollsters' excuses yesterday? According to that Labour simply didn't get their vote out and differential turnout in the different groups was the cause of their errors. Who knows?

I agree with you about tellers by the way. Interesting historical anomaly, really not much to do with modern electioneering where those knocking up are directed by phone banks. Gives the less able something to do and a feeling of involvement which is fair enough.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Given how well everything is going in the UK for the LibDems, they have now turned their attention sorting out FIFA - perhaps they will deploy Sir Malcolm Bruce:

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/604006779207294976
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959
    edited May 2015
    Millsy said:

It will take a Labour recovery in Scotland to move all those wasted second place finishes into Labour seats. And Labour have pitiful levels of support in England outside urban seats.

How to win back one set of voters without repelling the other?

The only way is to completely separate Scottish Labour from a Labour party of England and Wales, then the new Labour leader can concentrate on appealing to English voters in the towns and villages that have eluded all of their leaders apart from Blair.

Serious point: suppose Labour splits at the border, and ends up with a rightie rUK LAB and a leftie SLAB led by, respectively, folk whom we'll call Macavity and Miller for convenience.

Imagine the Tory screams: Vote rUK Labour, get Macavity controlled by the Jocks under Miller ...

Edit: IIRC it often didn't make any immediate difference if Scotland is present or not to whether Labour wins an election, though the extra few dozen SLAB MPs were useful when managing votes in the House.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    A SLAB member giving a grassroots perspective on Labour's predicament in Scotland:

http://www.labourhame.com/can-a-supporter-of-scottish-independence-be-a-member-of-scottish-labour/
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,019
    edited May 2015

ydoethur.

'Living in London aided self-deception. Immigration and the extortionate cost of housing is pushing its population leftwards, as is London’s arrogance. The capital is strong and self-confident; it makes the mistake of thinking that everywhere else thinks as London thinks.'

And as a result, they concluded (rightly) that the country would hate the Liberal Democrats (1 seat in London?) and love Labour (whoops...)

Wasting effort in Sheffield Hallam while forfeiting what should have been a very safe seat in Morley (let's face it, for anyone other than Ed Balls it would have been a 10,000 majority) was just silly.

Cohen's point about Miliband's hose of lego 35% strategy is bang on the money. However, this idea about it all being different in London is turning into a bit of a myth. A lot of the London results were as disappointing as elsewhere. It's simply that they didn't perform as catastrophically in the capital, and they made a few gains, though where they were up against the tories as opposed to the LDs, those few gains came with extremely narrow majorities.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,148

antifrank said:

Mike, I was astonished that the LibDems had no tellers in Torbay. But I was told they generally hadn't in the past; they got their information from the telephones instead. I don't know how widespread this is, or whether Labour followed the same line, but it struck me as a lost opportunity to get precise data - unless they didn't have the ground troops. But as it was the only LibDem chance of a seat in the immediate area, I would have thought they would have pulled in resources from other adjacent seats. Seems not.

I know we fed in countless thousands of polling card numbers/postcodes throughout the day. By 7 pm we had a very good idea of how the vote was shaping up.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I am not sure that the bias has been reversed (or even that it exists to the degree sometimes assumed). While Labour seats have on average fewer voters, when measured on population terms the effect is less marked.

The biggest effect on Labour was the presence or absence of an alternative, which showed in a variety of ways. This was most dramatic in Scotland, but UKIP as an alternative helped the Tories gain Plymouth Turfmoor, plus a few in Essex, and the Greens prevented gains elsewhere. Labour took Chester in part because there was no Green candidate.

Labour could regain electoral advantage by regaining the third party vote. Indeed that is how the Tories did so well - by regaining votes off the traditional third party.

Remember: when the LDs do well, so do Labour, and vice versa.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited May 2015
    Carnyx said:

Edit: IIRC it often didn't make any immediate difference if Scotland is present or not to whether Labour wins an election, though the extra few dozen SLAB MPs were useful when managing votes in the House.

Does it make any difference to Cameron if the futile 56 in Scotland are SLab or SNat ?

• Options
    China's efforts to seize the southern seas has now come to include making new islands:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32913899
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959
    TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

Does it make any difference to Cameron if the futile 56 in Scotland are SLab or SNat ?

Oh yes. Different perspective from Labour for one thing. And fewer LDs.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles raining again in Cannock after about an hour's break (don't know if it's any help, but thought I would mention it).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208

It makes you wonder if Labour should give money to the Lib Dems and the Tories give money to Ukip.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    "When the parties’ vote shares are equalized, Conservative wins waste far fewer surplus votes than Labour, with the latter now tending to pile up larger but ultimately unnecessary majorities in safe seats."

I can't help but feel - as I argued before the election under my previous nom de plume - this is too much of a statisitician's way of looking at things.

It asks, "assuming my party get x votes, where should they be?" - like one might ask, "if I earn x pounds this week, how should I spend it?". But unlike a household budget, you can't move votes between seats, at least not very efficiently.

Rather if we say, "in seat x, would I rather have more votes or fewer votes", the answer will always be "more". Even if that seat is safe. The piling up of votes is always a bonus. What should happen is that your polling reflects that. So you go from 35/35 to 36/34, even though you will win no more seats.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Putting in 34.5% for both Lab and Con to the GE calculator (And leaving others the same) yields Con 302; Lab 256; LD 12; SNP 57 - which leaves a very well hung parliament.

On the new boundaries it is:

Con 271; Lab 255; LD 7; SNP 49

Allowing for natural random variation and superior targetting under either system by either party brings me to the conclusion that if Labour manage to get as many votes as the Conservatives they will have a more or less Evens chance of forming the next Gov't.

That seems quite fair to me.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited May 2015
    From the Standpoint piece - this is just perfect http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/features-june-2015-nick-cohen-labour-why-the-tories-won?page=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1
    I cannot tell you how influential and damaging the consoling belief that Britain is a “progressive” country has been. It stopped the Left being frightened of the Right. It stopped it taking the fight against it seriously. In his bedtime story for lefties, The Conservative Dilemma, Jon Trickett, an ally of Miliband, argued that the Tories could not cope with the 21st century. They couldn’t appeal to their base without appalling the “progressive majority”, or vice versa. Miliband’s Labour, he wrote in 2012, was now free to renounce the compromises of the hated Blair era. It could let rip, march leftwards, and “put an end to triangulation on to Tory territory”. Every assumption he and thousands like him made has now turned to dust.
    This made me wince
    If the left-wing press was not pulling the Labour party back towards sanity, then nor were Labour politicians. They stayed loyal too and kept themselves wrapped in a warm cocoon. It ought to shame them that in the years before an appalling defeat not one senior figure tried to overthrow Miliband. Not one even developed an alternative political programme Labour could adopt after defeat. The trade unions were as bad. They have often been a stabilising force in Labour history, but are now so mad that Len McCluskey, the general secretary of Unite, backed Lutfur Rahman, the former mayor of Tower Hamlets, who was not only an opponent of the Labour party but a demagogue whose electoral frauds provoked the courts into removing him from office.
  • Options

antifrank said:

To be fair, it must be more of an incentive to lace up your leafletting boots to get Nick Clegg out of Parliament than to keep Ed Balls in it....
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    kle4 said:

I've been assuming I'd vote Yes in the end for years...

I've assumed the same, but now I'm not so sure, mainly because the embryonic Yes campaign is so obsessively focussed on the scare-mongering issue of jobs.

One of the things I find hard about contemplating a No vote is that I would quite like a properly Democratic Federal Europe, but that isn't remotely on offer, and so voting Yes for that reason would be an exercise in self-deception.

The other main thing that gives me pause is that I like Britain being an open outward-looking country, and I wouldn't want to boost the haul up the drawbridge mentality that UKIP represents. However, that isn't really the choice that's on the ballot paper, as we could be an outward-looking country that wasn't a member of the EU.

I've been thinking of writing "I trust the rest of the country to decide on my behalf" on the ballot paper, but I know that would be a cop-out to avoid making my own choice.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,019

I am not sure that the bias has been reversed (or even that it exists to the degree sometimes assumed). While Labour seats have on average fewer voters, when measured on population terms the effect is less marked.

The biggest effect on Labour was the presence or absence of an alternative, which showed in a variety of ways. This was most dramatic in Scotland, but UKIP as an alternative helped the Tories gain Plymouth Turfmoor, plus a few in Essex, and the Greens prevented gains elsewhere. Labour took Chester in part because there was no Green candidate.

Labour could regain electoral advantage by regaining the third party vote. Indeed that is how the Tories did so well - by regaining votes off the traditional third party.

'Plymouth Turfmoor'? Is that where all the Burnley exiles in the south-west congregate?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950

ydoethur said:

The gondola is the best bet! Looking at the telly now, there's very little chance of play before lunch, ground is waterlogged.
    https://twitter.com/BLACKCAPS/status/604214876752347136/photo/1
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,995

ydoethur.

Cohen's point about Miliband's hose of lego 35% strategy is bang on the money. However, this idea about it all being different in London is turning into a bit of a myth. A lot of the London results were as disappointing as elsewhere. It's simply that they didn't perform as catastrophically in the capital, and they made a few gains, though where they were up against the tories as opposed to the LDs, those few gains came with extremely narrow majorities.

Even in London, Labour faced the problem of piling up huge votes in safe seats, while falling short in Conservative held marginals.

The ideal Labour seat was one with lots of students, university workers, Muslims, public sector professionals, and people working in occupations like arts, fashion etc.

But, there aren't many of those seats.
  • Options

This idea about it all being different in London is turning into a bit of a myth. A lot of the London results were as disappointing as elsewhere. It's simply that they didn't perform as catastrophically in the capital, and they made a few gains, though where they were up against the tories as opposed to the LDs, those few gains came with extremely narrow majorities.

Possibly - but remember they were starting from a very high base in London anyway. It was one of the very few places were the Labour vote held steady in 2010, and helped mask the scale of their defeat. So that they gained any seats at all is quite noteworthy. Bear in mind the only seats they took from the Tories outside London were Dewsbury, Chester, Lancaster, Wolverhampton SW and Wirral West, while losing no fewer than 8 non-London seats to them - Telford, Derby North, Plymouth Moor View, Morley and Outwood, Vale of Clwyd, Gower, Bolton West (plus Corby).

Indeed, this is a point I tried to make to all my lefty friends in the Smoke last year when they were shrieking about how well they did in EU and council elections in London. There were very few seats Labour could realistically hope to take from the Tories in London, so doing well there was basically a distraction. Outside London and Scotland, they were coming a poor third to the Tories and UKIP. That's a pattern you can see quite easily on the map on the previous thread.

So I think there is evidence of a disconnection between London and the rest of the country. Mind you, that's hardly new. That was true under John Major and even Stanley Baldwin as well!
  • Options
    None at all. Which makes it more delightful. The SNPers will eventually notice that they aren't the new model army.
    TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So far as the choice on the EU referendum is concerned, it looks like a choice between backing the appallingly self-satisfied and arrogant and backing the barking nutjobs. Currently the appallingly self-satisfied seem to be limbering up to tell the public that they should stop stropping and vote for what's in their best interests and the barking nutjobs are preparing to bark louder and louder and louder.

Not an attractive choice at all.
  • Options

I've assumed the same, but now I'm not so sure, mainly because the embryonic Yes campaign is so obsessively focussed on the scare-mongering issue of jobs.

Another group that has apparently learned all the wrong lessons from Scotland last year. Let's vote on negativity and watch as we make people hate the union - so that even when we win we end up being on the wrong side of the political argument!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    FPT:

ydoethur said:

On the subject of the EuroRef as well, I'm flabbergasted by the stupidity of some of the comments in this report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32925582

If Volker Trier was in the pay of Nigel Farage, he couldn't have come up with a more useful interview for Better off Out. What sort of idiot says that (1) a foreign country should not listen to its people and (2) that if it asks for something it should be ignored?

He's in denial. From his point of view, it will set an even more dangerous precedent for the EU if the UK votes to leave because of its obstinacy.
    He said that Britain leaving would be bad for both Britain and Germany and may adversely impact on the 400 000 jobs in the UK with German employers. It seems a reasonable view to me:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32925350

That's a highly selective quotation of what he said. He also expresses astonishment that the UK is even allowing a vote and does not want the EU to compromise one inch with the electorate to convince them to stay.

The classic refrain of eurocrats down the ages.
    Up until now, I've thought the referendum was pointless; the result beyond doubt. I was firmly on the 'in' side of the argument, and expected to win.

This sort of behaviour and language, however, really really grates. Patronising, sneering, condescending, arrogant, antidemocratic nonsense.

It's the first time I can see a BOO win as anything other than a pipe dream. If European leaders and other bureaucrats persist in this sort of language, and persist in treating the British elecorate like children, it's going to allow national pride (and a measure of jingoism) to swell. Brexit becomes a much more likely outcome.
  • Options
    Plato said:

None at all. Which makes it more delightful. The SNPers will eventually notice that they aren't the new model army.

TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

What makes a difference is 10 fewer Lib Dems in Scotland. That makes a coalition like the last government much less likely going forward and means the Scottish bias towards a left leaning government is greater than ever.
  • Options
    That's precisely my view. It's almost being Little Englanders to stay with the inward looking EU. We have the entire world to trade with, how can the EU trump that?

I feel as we go along that the self-harm indulged in by the Eurocrats isn't something I want anything to do with without very serious reform. I'd say I'm slipping from Reluctant Inner to Persuadable Outer quite rapidly.

kle4 said:

One of the things I find hard about contemplating a No vote is that I would quite like a properly Democratic Federal Europe, but that isn't remotely on offer, and so voting Yes for that reason would be an exercise in self-deception.

The other main thing that gives me pause is that I like Britain being an open outward-looking country, and I wouldn't want to boost the haul up the drawbridge mentality that UKIP represents. However, that isn't really the choice that's on the ballot paper, as we could be an outward-looking country that wasn't a member of the EU.

I've been thinking of writing "I trust the rest of the country to decide on my behalf" on the ballot paper, but I know that would be a cop-out to avoid making my own choice.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Anorak said:

FPT:

ydoethur said:

On the subject of the EuroRef as well, I'm flabbergasted by the stupidity of some of the comments in this report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32925582

If Volker Trier was in the pay of Nigel Farage, he couldn't have come up with a more useful interview for Better off Out. What sort of idiot says that (1) a foreign country should not listen to its people and (2) that if it asks for something it should be ignored?

He's in denial. From his point of view, it will set an even more dangerous precedent for the EU if the UK votes to leave because of its obstinacy.
    He said that Britain leaving would be bad for both Britain and Germany and may adversely impact on the 400 000 jobs in the UK with German employers. It seems a reasonable view to me:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32925350

That's a highly selective quotation of what he said. He also expresses astonishment that the UK is even allowing a vote and does not want the EU to compromise one inch with the electorate to convince them to stay.

The classic refrain of eurocrats down the ages.
    Up until now, I've thought the referendum was pointless; the result beyond doubt. I was firmly on the 'in' side of the argument, and expected to win.

This sort of behaviour and language, however, really really grates. Patronising, sneering, condescending, arrogant, antidemocratic nonsense.

It's the first time I can see a BOO win as anything other than a pipe dream. If European leaders and other bureaucrats persist in this sort of language, and persist in treating the British elecorate like children, it's going to allow national pride (and a measure of jingoism) to swell. Brexit becomes a much more likely outcome.
    Quite. I would like to hope that Mr Cameron will be making that point clear to his European colleagues in the coming days and weeks.

I'm pretty much on the fence, but it's becoming clearer by the day that there is no Status Quo option - it's either into the inward-looking Superstate or we get the hell out of there and make our own place in the world. The latter is seemingly the better option right now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Putting in 34.5% for both Lab and Con to the GE calculator (And leaving others the same) yields Con 302; Lab 256; LD 12; SNP 57 - which leaves a very well hung parliament.

Con 271; Lab 255; LD 7; SNP 49.

New boundaries massively favouring Labour??
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Lots of speculation, but no one saying how cowardly chicken Cameron was for refusing to be stitched up with the debates. At the first whiff of (Green) powder, Labour ran witless.
  • Options
    The crisis has caused the EU and particularly the Eurozone to become self-obsessed. It has always been quite inward; free trade in the block supported by tariffs for goods to enter it, but it has solely failed to open up. It becomes more and more of a weight on Britain every day.

But I just can't decide if I want to ally with the "Pull up the drawbridge" brigade. I have relatively little problem with immigration, or a certain level of common goods standards and t pivot to the rest of the world means more of both (at least gross).

Here's to hoping that the 100/1 shot of Cameron's renegociation actually works...
  • Options
    antifrank said:

So far as the choice on the EU referendum is concerned, it looks like a choice between backing the appallingly self-satisfied and arrogant and backing the barking nutjobs. Currently the appallingly self-satisfied seem to be limbering up to tell the public that they should stop stropping and vote for what's in their best interests and the barking nutjobs are preparing to bark louder and louder and louder.

It will be like Alien vs Predator. Whoever wins we lose.

My great fear is the debate will boil down to the in side saying if we leave the EU we'll become an economic leper (ignoring the fact they said the same if we didn't join the Euro) vs an out movement saying if we vote to remain a member of the EU we're giving 5 billion people the right to move to the UK and that they'll all give us aids.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    "This means, of course, that new boundaries would make the system even more favourable to the Conservatives."

Odd, that’s not the conclusion I came to - do we even know what the changes will be?

O/T - Blimey, the heavens have just opened above Salisbury – Has Blatter just been crucified?
  • Options
    Plato said:

That's precisely my view. It's almost being Little Englanders to stay with the inward looking EU. We have the entire world to trade with, how can the EU trump that?

I feel as we go along that the self-harm indulged in by the Eurocrats isn't something I want anything to do with without very serious reform. I'd say I'm slipping from Reluctant Inner to Persuadable Outer quite rapidly.

kle4 said:

Remember, too, that a No vote is not legally binding. You can use it to express unhappiness with the EU, without the government necessarily having to pull out.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Plato said:

kle4 said:

Remember, too, that a No vote is not legally binding. You can use it to express unhappiness with the EU, without the government necessarily having to pull out.

Is a government really going to ignore that? There'd be a riot.

• Options
    antifrank said:

I do not think it will be a very edifying campaign by either side. Xenophobia vs complacency.

Hopefully it will be a short campaign, I have had enough of neverendums that resolve nothing.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

antifrank said:

Mike, I was astonished that the LibDems had no tellers in Torbay. But I was told they generally hadn't in the past; they got their information from the telephones instead. I don't know how widespread this is, or whether Labour followed the same line, but it struck me as a lost opportunity to get precise data - unless they didn't have the ground troops. But as it was the only LibDem chance of a seat in the immediate area, I would have thought they would have pulled in resources from other adjacent seats. Seems not.

I know we fed in countless thousands of polling card numbers/postcodes throughout the day. By 7 pm we had a very good idea of how the vote was shaping up.
    It's funny, this website was clogged with comments from now departed Labour Party lackeys and a PPC crowing about their great algorithms and ground game, and how utterly useless the Tories were.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    kle4 said:

There are arguments for leaving the EU, but to make them properly you in your case have to explain why being dragged along unwillingly outside the EU would be any different.
    BTW -- I do understand how difficult it is to make complex points in a few lines. I think this is going to bedevil discussion on here even more than normal over the next few weeks months years.

It might not be much better being dragged along outside, hence my reluctance to consider BOO - I don't know that we would be better off. But it's the difference, to borrow and amend from The Thick of It a bit, between being punched in the face and punching ourselves in the face. Either way, we're getting punched and that will make us angry, but at least we'd not be as much of an active participant in the punch, as they cried in defence 'You're doing the punching too, so no complaints'.

I take your point about making complex points in a few lines, and my flippant summary may not seem to help with that, but I'm reaching a breaking point on the EU and it really it not actually that complex when we get down to it, I think the Eureaucrats have it right that far at least. Do we want to be an active member actively pursuing ever closer Union and the useless bureaucratic interference that for some reason they insist must come along with the good that may come from that closer integration? No I don't, but the contempt of the EU toward those who want to reform - sorry, I just have no faith in the sincerity of its leaders who say otherwise, their actions speak loudly on that - or change the direction of travel in any meaningful way, means we are unlikely to get something which retains the positives of the EU without the negatives ever expanding.

I've been assuming I'd vote Yes in the end for years, I voted LD in the 2014 Euros for crying out loud, and like most people I don't like much about the EU, but would it really make things better to be outside of it? For one we could not keep an eye on or influence things as much. But I'm just sick and tired of it, and it will just go on and on for decades, and I no longer feel I can handle that.

They keep telling us, directly or indirectly, to put up or shut up, and in this I think they are right. And if they force that binary choice, to leave or stop complaining, even the fear of negative consequences loses its sting somewhat.

The whole idea that we would be "dragged along unwillingly outside" is false. It is an extension of the myth that EFTA members have no influence over regulations made by the EU. Barring the final vote EFTA members are fully involved in every stage of the development of regulations relating to the single market and, at the last resort, if they really don't agree to them then each EFTA member has an absolute veto over new regulations and directives.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Plato said:

kle4 said:

Presumably, there'd have to be a further vote, either by referendum, or in Parliament, on any terms of withdrawal that the government had negotiated. The government might conceivably use a No vote as a lever to extract much more in the way of concessions, as a way of staying in.
  • Options
    A Conservative Government getting an Out vote in the EU referendum then keeping us in would manna from heaven for UKIP.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Plato said:

kle4 said:

Presumably, there'd have to be a further vote, either by referendum, or in Parliament, on any terms of withdrawal that the government had negotiated. The government might conceivably use a No vote as a lever to extract much more in the way of concessions, as a way of staying in.
    Not whilst UKIP are around will Dave do that.
  • Options
    I was wondering about that last night. Post-No will be fascinating and messy.
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Plato said:

kle4 said:

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The whole idea that we would be "dragged along unwillingly outside" is false.

It seems to me that the overriding principle in the response of the powerful in Europe to Cameron is that Britain Should Not Become Too Successful.

The don;t want to give us associate membership or see us leave for one reason. These might work.

Many in Europe are already unnerved by our relative economic success, and they probably feel the status quo is a restraining factor on us.
  • Options

A Conservative Government getting an Out vote in the EU referendum then keeping us in would manna from heaven for UKIP.

It's interesting. If the government is committed to Yes, and public vote No, what do they do? They have to negotiate something they don't want. How do you negotiate effectively when your heart isn't in it?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Quite. I'm a very firm believer in rekindling our historical ambitions - through trade.
    taffys said:

The whole idea that we would be "dragged along unwillingly outside" is false.

It seems to me that the overriding principle in the response of the powerful in Europe to Cameron is that Britain Should Not Become Too Successful.

The don;t want to give us associate membership or see us leave for one reason. These might work.

Many in Europe are already unnerved by our relative economic success, and they probably feel the status quo is a restraining factor on us.

• Options
    watford30 said:

antifrank said:

It's funny, this website was clogged with comments from now departed Labour Party lackeys and a PPC crowing about their great algorithms and ground game, and how utterly useless the Tories were.
    We just smiled and got on with deliveries.

In Torbay, I'm told we delivered close to a million leaflets in the six months running up to election day. Now THAT is a ground game.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074

The crisis has caused the EU and particularly the Eurozone to become self-obsessed. It has always been quite inward; free trade in the block supported by tariffs for goods to enter it, but it has solely failed to open up. It becomes more and more of a weight on Britain every day.

But I just can't decide if I want to ally with the "Pull up the drawbridge" brigade. I have relatively little problem with immigration, or a certain level of common goods standards and t pivot to the rest of the world means more of both (at least gross).

Here's to hoping that the 100/1 shot of Cameron's renegociation actually works...

The Eurozone must either integrate further or die. This puts enormous stresses on the relationship between Eurozone countries and non-Eurozone countries: because the interests of these two groups do not align.

We should recognise this for what it is, merely a divergence of interests, and not some terrible, awful conspiracy.

Realistically, what should be sought is a sort-of EFTA-plus position for all those EU members who do not with to go down the "ever closer union" path. However, I think it is unlikely that the EU can come up with a satisfactory method for protecting the interests of non-Eurozone countries.
  • Options
    Mr. F, Cameron may well allow free expression over the referendum, so that the Government doesn't have a single voice. He should, in any case.

Miss Plato, and culture. Tolkien, CS Lewis, James Bond, Harry Potter are all global titans. Not to mention Shakespeare.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    watford30 said:

antifrank said:

It's funny that several hours after the exit poll, I was still able to turn my betting into profit by backing a Conservative majority at odds-against. Presumably all these in-the-know Tory activists are Methodist nuns who have foresworn betting.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's interesting. If the government is committed to Yes, and public vote No, what do they do? They have to negotiate something they don't want. How do you negotiate effectively when your heart isn't in it?
    Well here's the thing. If the public vote "No", did they vote for EFTA/EEA or for something else?

I think the current question is very badly worded, and could well lead to real problems down the road.
  • Options

Its not going to happen though. The referendum result will bind the government to the outcome. Anyone who thinks that voting out would just re-open negotiations is deluded.

If we vote out, the European Union will not be too bothered by losing a a bunch of trouble.

I suspect the campaign to rejoin would probably take a couple of years to get going though.
  • Options
    Interweb English is the bedrock too.

Mr. F, Cameron may well allow free expression over the referendum, so that the Government doesn't have a single voice. He should, in any case.

Miss Plato, and culture. Tolkien, CS Lewis, James Bond, Harry Potter are all global titans. Not to mention Shakespeare.

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    It'll be interesting to see how the european leaders react to Cameron. Either they'll dismiss him out of hand, in which case I could see him doing a volte face and saying 'I wanted a Yes vote, but Europe isn't taking us seriously, so lets vote No' in which case a No vote is a very real probability or they will cede and he will get his wishes which will result in a fairly safe Yes vote with the EU grouchy that it's relinquished so many powers for an easy win.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Pulpstar said:

Con 271; Lab 255; LD 7; SNP 49.

New boundaries massively favouring Labour??
    If the Conservatives have optimally distributed their vote by excellent targeting of the marginals on the present boundaries than pseudo-randomly shaking those boundaries up by redrawing them will tend to hurt the Tories disproportionately.

However, unless Labour improve their organisation to match the Tories you would expect that the Tories would be able campaign on any new boundaries as well as on the old ones, and so the calculators would be somewhat out.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    edited May 2015
    rcs1000 said:

Realistically, what should be sought is a sort-of EFTA-plus position for all those EU members who do not with to go down the "ever closer union" path. However, I think it is unlikely that the EU can come up with a satisfactory method for protecting the interests of non-Eurozone countries.

A good litmus test for a formalised non-Eurozone EU status is, "Would Norway vote for this rather than remaining as a member of EFTA?"
  • Options

Its not going to happen though. The referendum result will bind the government to the outcome. Anyone who thinks that voting out would just re-open negotiations is deluded.

If we vote out, the European Union will not be too bothered by losing a a bunch of trouble.

I suspect the campaign to rejoin would probably take a couple of years to get going though.
    I doubt that we'd re-join as if we did we'd be joining a more integrated union, and secondly we'd lose our opt-outs - which if we lost them now would probably lead to a pretty swift No vote.
  • Options
    @TSE Cricket update. Lunch will be taken at 12:30, earliest play 13:10 assuming it stops raining now - which is not the case. 90 minutes cleanup time will be needed from when the rain stops.

NZ team are still in their hotel!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    'If we vote out, the European Union will not be too bothered by losing a a bunch of trouble.'

And the many billions in net contributions that trouble contributes every year.
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. Taffys. The Germans would lose an economically rational ally and at the same time have to shoulder even more of the financial burden.

The UK leaving the EU wouldn't just mean it's somewhat smaller, it'd be a huge change, for both sides [the EU more than the UK].
  • Options
    Also, as someone who can just about tolerate the status-quo, articles like the one below will make it very hard for me to vote Yes, there is still this perception that different speeds of travel towards USE is the right thing. They just can't contemplate that some don't want more integration.

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-priorities-2020/sigmar-gabriel-europe-may-have-move-different-speeds-314948
  • Options
    I have no doubt that the Eurocrats will not begin to engage with the UK until we have a No vote. At that point, they might deign to talk about a few minor concessions around the edges, so that we can vote again. That is their mindset, their modus operandi.

Cameron needs to leave Merkel and Hollande and the other EU leaders in no doubt: if we vote No, we are gone. Too late then to start to engage. It would be political suicide. Until we get engagement on the areas where the EU is broken, a No vote is a very real proposition. The status quo is about as appealing as electing Sett Blatter as EU life President.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I assume that Cameron resigns as PM and a more credibly Eurosceptic figure like Hammond takes over. Although Cameron does a fairly good line in rhetoric terms of "The people have spoken and as their humble servant I will act accordingly".
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, I'd still be very, very surprised if Out wins.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Well here's the thing. If the public vote "No", did they vote for EFTA/EEA or for something else?

I think the current question is very badly worded, and could well lead to real problems down the road.
    There's been criticism of the No side for not working out the alternative, but the alternative isn't in their gift. Only the government could come up with the alternative.
  • Options

I have no doubt that the Eurocrats will not begin to engage with the UK until we have a No vote. At that point, they might deign to talk about a few minor concessions around the edges, so that we can vote again. That is their mindset, their modus operandi.

Cameron needs to leave Merkel and Hollande and the other EU leaders in no doubt: if we vote No, we are gone. Too late then to start to engage. It would be political suicide. Until we get engagement on the areas where the EU is broken, a No vote is a very real proposition. The status quo is about as appealing as electing Sett Blatter as EU life President.

That's my worry, that they will be reporting back from their London offices that all is fine and that a Yes vote is a certainty - so they won't know how precarious the situation really is.
  • Options
    taffys said:

'If we vote out, the European Union will not be too bothered by losing a a bunch of trouble.'

And a huge dent in the credibility of "The Project". Be like California leaving the USA.

Not to mention a dangerous precedent.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Sean_F said:

Cameron would resign and a new BOOer leader, whose heart was in it, would take over.
  • Options

If there's a "No" vote, we're leaving the EU. Of course, whether that will be to go to an EFTA/EEA relationship or to something else, that's another story altogether.

• Options
    Exactly. Until that penny drops - I seriously expect the Eurocrats to dismiss this as a hissy-fit.

taffys said:

And a huge dent in the credibility of "The Project". Be like California leaving the USA.

Not to mention a dangerous precedent.
  • Options

The issue is the eurozone and how we relate alongside that. In or out of the EU will still mean we will have to be alongside the eurozone. Ever closer union may or may not be a good thing, the fact remains we will not be part of it. The eurozone drives ever closer union, in the same way that using the pound keeps Scotland and England together. If we cannot negotiate to be alongside that and still in the EU then we would be in the eea. But we still have to live with the EU.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

There's been criticism of the No side for not working out the alternative, but the alternative isn't in their gift. Only the government could come up with the alternative.
    I think that without a coherent visions for "No", then either:

a) It will make it very hard to sell, as there will be different voices giving different pictures of a post-EU Britain. Most importantly, I think there are a lot of businesses that would be happy to campaign for "No", if it was on the basis of Britain moving to a EFTA/EEA relationship. But I think that number shrinks dramatically in the event of us moving to "something else".

or

b) You get a "No" vote, and then some people are going to be enormously disappointed. Either people who thought they were going to see an end to freedom of labour are going to cry foul, or businesses who thought we would remain part of the EEA will.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

A good litmus test for a formalised non-Eurozone EU status is, "Would Norway vote for this rather than remaining as a member of EFTA?"
    What is it with this obsession with this virtually non existent EFTA?
This discussion has been closed.