Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour leadership. TV Hustings will give the unknowns a cha

2»

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited May 2015

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy Though Burnham led with Tory voters too, albeit by a smaller margin, it was just Kendal was second not Cooper. In fact Kendal did better with Tory voters than with Labour, UKIP and LD voters, suggesting perhaps she should cross the floor and replace Cameron in 2020, after all she wants lower taxes and spending, backs free schools and an EU ref and wants to reform welfare, she certainly makes Ken Clarke look wet!

Focus on the Labour voters only, don't forget only Labour members vote in the leadership election.
    According to Hattie on Marr the election is open to all
    Nope.
    One member, one vote system:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)_leadership_election,_2015

"Candidates will be elected by members and registered and affiliated supporters, who will all receive a maximum of one vote and all votes will be weighted equally."

So the focus should be exclusively on Labour voters.
    As I understand it anyone can vote who pays a joining fee of only £3.00 and therefore labour has no effective control of who joins - you may be surprised how many conservative, snp and ukip supporters join just to cause mischief !!!!!!
    That is theoretically possible but it will take tens of thousands to have even a small impact on the result.

Also that can backfire as Rick Santorum found out in the Ohio primary.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    antifrank said:

John Rentoul observes that last time round the party members voted for David Miliband. But did this represent a preference for the most Blairite candidate or for the candidate perceived as the front runner and positioned as the most leaderly?

Yes, I know lefty Labour members who voted for David just because they thought the public would accept him as a possible prime minister, leaving policies aside. I don't think that case can be made for Kendall.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Cannot wait to see the return of D Miliband...it would be a vivid reminder of just how awful he was..and destroys the myth..

I would look forward to the next 5 years with everyone inadvertently calling him Ed......
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,454
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy Though Burnham led with Tory voters too, albeit by a smaller margin, it was just Kendal was second not Cooper. In fact Kendal did better with Tory voters than with Labour, UKIP and LD voters, suggesting perhaps she should cross the floor and replace Cameron in 2020, after all she wants lower taxes and spending, backs free schools and an EU ref and wants to reform welfare, she certainly makes Ken Clarke look wet!

Focus on the Labour voters only, don't forget only Labour members vote in the leadership election.
    Nope.

"Candidates will be elected by members and registered and affiliated supporters, who will all receive a maximum of one vote and all votes will be weighted equally."

As I understand it anyone can vote who pays a joining fee of only £3.00 and therefore labour has no effective control of who joins - you may be surprised how many conservative, snp and ukip supporters join just to cause mischief !!!!!!
    That is theoretically possible but it will take tens of thousands to have even a small impact on the result.

Also that can backfire as Rick Santorum found out in the Ohio primary.
    Stranger things have happened
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

Ish... £3.88 per month actually. Still good value purely for the mischief making and cheap beer.

https://join.labour.org.uk/
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    edited May 2015

Stokes v the short ball
    Stoke v Liverpool

Gerrards long goodbye has ruined Liverpools season. Big mistake to eulogize so much.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,278

Cannot wait to see the return of D Miliband...it would be a vivid reminder of just how awful he was..and destroys the myth..

"This is 10 Downing Street. And this is David - the schoolboy who leads an exciting double life. For when David eats a banana, an amazing transformation occurs!

David is BANANAMAN, ever alert for the call to action!"
    He'd be the ideal man to debunk the myths about EU rules on straight bananas. In every interview...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

"This is 10 Downing Street. And this is David - the schoolboy who leads an exciting double life. For when David eats a banana, an amazing transformation occurs!

That's the point. Anyone who thinks David Miliband would not get the same level of personal abuse as Ed is deluded. It would just be bananas instead of bacon sandwiches. The rest would be the same: looks wierd; talks jargon; father hated Britain. Deja vu all over again.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Flightpath We are not going to put in groundforces are we, so the airstrikes will continue but it will be up to the Kurds, Shia militias and the Iraqi and Syrian armies and more moderate rebel groups to do the fighting on the ground, some reports of Shia militias and the Iraqi army moving towards Ramadi

But it's not 'we', as in 'us'... There is blatant genocide and murder. Just where is the UN in all This? Where is its supposed leader and leadership?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited May 2015
    Speedy At the moment Burnham is clearly ahead and probably on preferences too, he not only leads with Labour voters, but with UKIP voters, LD voters and, albeit more narrowly, Tory voters. Basically he leads across the board, in the north, south, the Midlands, London and Scotland too and it is difficult to see him being stopped, especially as he probably has an even bigger lead with MPs and union members who have joined Labour than Labour members alone, but we shall see what happens in the debates as you say
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    kle4 said:

The Witcher 3 - early thoughts:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/the-witcher-3-ps4-early-thoughts.html

NB not a proper review as I'm not that far into it (and probably won't be for weeks).

Much obliged.
    I loved Dragon Age and generally like games that emphasise plot, choices and dialogue over puzzles and real-time combat - in fact I'd be quite happy to have combat abstracted, as some SF games offer, or at least an "easy" setting so i don't need to sweat over it. My hand-eye coordination isn't great, not least as I'm just using a laptop keyboard. I hate games where I get stuck trying to work out that the pebble in the corner needs to be placed in the bowl on the porevious screen.

Do you think that I should try TW3?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

HYUFD said:

Flightpath We are not going to put in groundforces are we, so the airstrikes will continue but it will be up to the Kurds, Shia militias and the Iraqi and Syrian armies and more moderate rebel groups to do the fighting on the ground, some reports of Shia militias and the Iraqi army moving towards Ramadi

But it's not 'we', as in 'us'... There is blatant genocide and murder. Just where is the UN in all This? Where is its supposed leader and leadership?

No-one cares. Not really. Not enough. It's all too complicated and if we close our eyes it might just go away.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Stokes at 6 has been a revelation...comment re England's batting on TMS nothing to do with football.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Moses_ said:
    What you fail to understand is MPs are better than us. What I fail to understand is why parliament does not just switch to allowances rather than expenses, and avoid these periodic embarrassments.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited May 2015

kle4 said:

The Witcher 3 - early thoughts:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/the-witcher-3-ps4-early-thoughts.html

NB not a proper review as I'm not that far into it (and probably won't be for weeks).

Much obliged.
    I loved Dragon Age and generally like games that emphasise plot, choices and dialogue over puzzles and real-time combat - in fact I'd be quite happy to have combat abstracted, as some SF games offer, or at least an "easy" setting so i don't need to sweat over it. My hand-eye coordination isn't great, not least as I'm just using a laptop keyboard. I hate games where I get stuck trying to work out that the pebble in the corner needs to be placed in the bowl on the porevious screen.

Do you think that I should try TW3?
    Haven't played it yet myself, but have picked up the first two Witcher games on the cheap, only played an hour or so so far. Combat a bit overly fiddly was my first impression, but the difficulty settings set out that certain elements that you can essentially ignore on the easier ones, which is a good sign I feel - in games like Dragonage I like that you have to pay attention to the combat or you will fail, but it's not really what we're there for. If Morris Dancer is right TW3 is somewhere between the free roaming of Skyrim and the focused narratives of DragonAge - which sounds basically like what DragonAge Inquisition was - then it sounds promising.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No-one cares. Not really. Not enough. It's all too complicated and if we close our eyes it might just go away.
    Succinct and depressing...but accurate I feel.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I would recommend for anyone interested Pillars of Eternity - I never played the old Baldurs Gate style games until the past year or so (BG2 in fact only a few months ago), and it's a faithful reimagining of that style, very dialogue heavy (actually a lot of the game is heavy on proper prose) with great isometric visuals, and a focus on the story more than anything else. Starts off a bit exposition heavy as it's an entirely new setting, but I very much enjoyed it, and on the easy setting combat is colourful without hindering things by being annoying.

It's also a bit more intuitive to pick up than the older games.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Given fair play, FA cup, and league cup results can Southampton qualify for Europa at number 7?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Succinct and depressing...but accurate I feel.
    The situation is complex but the crimes are simple. It's not that difficult a problem for the UN.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    Flightpath Without western public opinion behind groundtroops the UN can do nothing but issue resolutions and sanctions, air strikes alone are all the voters accept at the moment. It will be the Kurds, the Syrian and Iraqi army, or more likely Shia militias, who do the ground fighting
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Keeping an eye on the Willie Rennie announcement that the LibDem executive have decided to give Carmichael a second chance. Looking through the comments these guys are certainly the politest I've ever come across. The majority of posters think action needs to be taken, with a lady called Caron defending the decision. There's a new strap line for the LibDems, "the party of second chances":

http://www.libdemvoice.org/breakingwillie-rennie-i-hope-that-fair-minded-people-will-give-alistair-carmichael-a-second-chance-46095.html
  • Options
    Good news on SLAB front the SEC have decided to side-line Jim & co in the review of the party:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/scottish-labour-sidelines-murphy-over-party-review.126967815

The key paragraph:

" A senior party source added: "People are anxious that Jim may use the review to settle scores and advance the interests of his supporters." Against this backdrop, two sub-committees of the party Executive are now in control of aspects of internal reform, which insiders said should be read as re-establishing democratic control over the process. "
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Can I just say -

NACASU

Newcastle are crap are staying up!

And we even end up finishing above the Mackems.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,617

Can I just say -

NACASU

Newcastle are crap are staying up!

And we even end up finishing above the Mackems.

NUFCACASU surely? :)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,214

That's the point. Anyone who thinks David Miliband would not get the same level of personal abuse as Ed is deluded. It would just be bananas instead of bacon sandwiches. The rest would be the same: looks wierd; talks jargon; father hated Britain. Deja vu all over again.
    I'm not sure I agree. Opponents of David Miliband are more likely to pick up on his record in power; he held more influential positions than Ed (Foreign secretary for three years, whilst Ed was at DECC for 18 months). Then there are cases of questionable judgement (e.g. not standing against Brown), although all senior politicians suffer from such lapses.

He's a better politician, bananas aside, and is less likely to get himself in the stupid positions that Miliband did with amusing regularity.

But a biggie is Chilcot. I'm not sure Labour should take him back until that is released, *unless* they are really sure what the report will state.

Besides, it's not as if Labour throw much worse sh*t towards the Conservatives, is it? (cough)McBride(cough).

The only people who are deluded are those who think Labour is somehow more moral and above such things. The stupidly deluded are the ones who believe that Labour can justifiably do such things because they are more moral.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Stokes v the short ball
    Stoke v Liverpool

Gerrards long goodbye has ruined Liverpools season. Big mistake to eulogize so much.
    Spiked on Gerrard. Its all a bit overdone:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/gerrard-should-have-left-liverpool-years-ago/17002#.VWIOQBBwbqA
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    calum said:

Good news on SLAB front the SEC have decided to side-line Jim & co in the review of the party:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/scottish-labour-sidelines-murphy-over-party-review.126967815

The key paragraph:

" A senior party source added: "People are anxious that Jim may use the review to settle scores and advance the interests of his supporters." Against this backdrop, two sub-committees of the party Executive are now in control of aspects of internal reform, which insiders said should be read as re-establishing democratic control over the process. "

Quite a good call from SLAB to be fair. I think those suspecting Murphy would be getting up to mischief are quite right to have such fears.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    David Miliband was a dire Foreign Secretary..do we really want more of this nonsense from Labour
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    calum said:

Keeping an eye on the Willie Rennie announcement that the LibDem executive have decided to give Carmichael a second chance. Looking through the comments these guys are certainly the politest I've ever come across. The majority of posters think action needs to be taken, with a lady called Caron defending the decision. There's a new strap line for the LibDems, "the party of second chances":

http://www.libdemvoice.org/breakingwillie-rennie-i-hope-that-fair-minded-people-will-give-alistair-carmichael-a-second-chance-46095.html

With the level of internal pressure from the membership which appears to be coming through, it is going to be very difficult for Rennie to continue to sweep things under the carpet.

I suspect it will be a frequent topic at whatever hustings they call for their UK leadership election.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,002

I'm not sure I agree. Opponents of David Miliband are more likely to pick up on his record in power; he held more influential positions than Ed (Foreign secretary for three years, whilst Ed was at DECC for 18 months). Then there are cases of questionable judgement (e.g. not standing against Brown), although all senior politicians suffer from such lapses.

He's a better politician, bananas aside, and is less likely to get himself in the stupid positions that Miliband did with amusing regularity.

But a biggie is Chilcot. I'm not sure Labour should take him back until that is released, *unless* they are really sure what the report will state.

Besides, it's not as if Labour throw much worse sh*t towards the Conservatives, is it? (cough)McBride(cough).

The only people who are deluded are those who think Labour is somehow more moral and above such things. The stupidly deluded are the ones who believe that Labour can justifiably do such things because they are more moral.
    I can't believe Labour would try and bring in D Miliband. It would just be so bloody weird for a start. Lab need to move on.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    kle4 said:

I would recommend for anyone interested Pillars of Eternity - I never played the old Baldurs Gate style games until the past year or so (BG2 in fact only a few months ago), and it's a faithful reimagining of that style, very dialogue heavy (actually a lot of the game is heavy on proper prose) with great isometric visuals, and a focus on the story more than anything else. Starts off a bit exposition heavy as it's an entirely new setting, but I very much enjoyed it, and on the easy setting combat is colourful without hindering things by being annoying.

It's also a bit more intuitive to pick up than the older games.

Thanks - hadn't heard of it, but sounds perfect.
  • Options

Stokes v the short ball
    Stoke v Liverpool

Spiked on Gerrard. Its all a bit overdone:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/gerrard-should-have-left-liverpool-years-ago/17002#.VWIOQBBwbqA
    Seems pretty fair & accurate to me, but then i'm not a liverpool fan.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    calum said:

There's a new strap line for the LibDems, "the party of second chances":

*cough* Coulson.... *cough*
  • Options
    Dair said:

calum said:

With the level of internal pressure from the membership which appears to be coming through, it is going to be very difficult for Rennie to continue to sweep things under the carpet.

I suspect it will be a frequent topic at whatever hustings they call for their UK leadership election.
    I think the LibDem members who are commenting realise it's time for Carmichael to resign, Willie Rennie and the executive seem to be out of touch with the grassroots. Should he step down I think SLID should seriously think about parachuting in a new candidate, Jo Swinson is the best candidate I can think off.

The longer this goes on the more chance that others could end up being dragged down, I think Rennie and Mundell probably have questions to answer on this sorry affair. My gut feeling is that the London head offices may yet be shown to have had a hand in this.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,617
    edited May 2015
    O/T

Oh well, two months since my Indian sister-in-law walked out of our house without saying a word to us as she left. All it was a minor argument with mum over something petty, which was blown out of all proportion. Not heard a peep from her since.

She and my little brother got married in India just over a year ago. She first arrived on Jan 22nd after all the Visa requirements were fulfilled, and staged her walk-out on March 22nd. Apparently she's back with her parents in India.

If I was a wee bit against marrying someone from the Subcontinent before this all blew up, I certainly am now!

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    calum said:

Dair said:

calum said:

I think the LibDem members who are commenting realise it's time for Carmichael to resign, Willie Rennie and the executive seem to be out of touch with the grassroots. Should he step down I think SLID should seriously think about parachuting in a new candidate, Jo Swinson is the best candidate I can think off.

The longer this goes on the more chance that others could end up being dragged down, I think Rennie and Mundell probably have questions to answer on this sorry affair. My gut feeling is that the London head offices may yet be shown to have had a hand in this.
    https://twitter.com/PeatWorrier/status/602526402815107072
  • Options

calum said:

Dair said:

calum said:

https://twitter.com/PeatWorrier/status/602526402815107072
    The saddest aspect of this sorry affair is that the right wing MSM who were carpet bombing twitter when this all kicked off on the 3rd April, most have gone completely silent other than the Guardian. With the London MSM in 3 monkeys mode, I'm happy to report that the Scottish MSM have woken up on this issue and are speaking with one voice. The Shetland News view:

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/viewpoint/10707-opinion-the-isles-deserve-another-vote

Carmichael had a chance to come clean on 6th April when the leak enquiry was announced, he didn't take it and that choice he made will likely do for him and the LibDems next May.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Rower92: Labour to back EU ref bill, Harman.

'Lets back three policies we once opposed.' Nicola Murray Thick of It @aiannucci http://t.co/MHzsbMhuQe
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    New thread.
This discussion has been closed.