Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Burnham’s nomination surge could block out other LAB leader

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

The Sun have a story that says the producers of Strictly Come Dancing are going to approach Ed Balls to appear on this year's show.

I'd love to see Balls samba and his Argentinian Foxtrot.

Well it's that or the jungle.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Jonathan said:

I see my MP has very vocally backed Kendall.

A fact that means I will struggle to support him next time.

If Kendall becomes leader i am more likely to vote Green than Lab in 2020.

Really? That's depressing. Labour need all parts of the left to pull together if it is to win again.
    The point is what has Kendall got to do with the Left.

She thinks Lab spent too much on public services that were on their knees after 18 yrs of right of centre wrecking.

Even Blair didnt think twice about that.
    Good stuff !!!! Brilliant comments ......Please keep thinking like that and promoting this wherever you can.

It will keep Labour out of power for at least another 10 years if you do.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. Pulpstar, don't forget the space cannon :D
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Pulpstar said:

The Sun have a story that says the producers of Strictly Come Dancing are going to approach Ed Balls to appear on this year's show.

Well it's that or the jungle.
    Both could help him to lose weight.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

*Betting post*

My Eurovision tips for this year.

Spain and Le Royaume-Uni, available at around 246 and 341 on Betfair.

UK is good value at that price now we have stopped invading other countries.

Georgia and Serbia too.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221

Mr. Root, does it?

There are many self-righteous famous people and opinion-formers who claim the moral high ground exclusively for the left, as if the those who support the Conservatives are monsters or having 'wrong' opinions/doing democracy wrong.

They personally agree with the blues but all the 'cool kids' are saying it's wrong.

We saw such nonsense barely days after the vote, with protests against the elected government less than a week after polling day.

Who can forget:

"The country is screwed, the electorate is evil."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/08/election-2015-stuart-heritage-nine-reasons-to-be-cheerful
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I am not saying Cameron is a non-entity. I am saying that he was back in 2005: an ex-SpAd with a PR background who had never achieved anything of note.

Although his abilities inside the Tory party had clearly been recognised - he was briefing the PM/LOTO at one point, and various other elements.

He may not have been known to the wider public, or achieved anything of note outside the political field, but that doesn't mean he's a non-entity to the *electors*
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714

*Betting post*

My Eurovision tips for this year.

Spain and Le Royaume-Uni, available at around 246 and 341 on Betfair.

UK is good value at that price now we have stopped invading other countries.

Georgia and Serbia too.
    Also back them in the top 5 finish market as well.
  • Options

matt said:

Thoughts on Labour's troubles at the election from a fellow coastal walker:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/scscscs/story-26531276-detail/story.html

If that article is evidence of his thinking, I can see why he's at an ex-poly and not LBS.
    I think he makes some interesting points on where Labour's leadership failed. He seems to think Labour should move more to the left, which seems to be the opposite view of most on here.

It's also right in saying that the new Labour leader would have to show competence in leadership. Although that's hardly an unusual view. ;-)

If Labour elect Burnham as leader, it'll be like replacing Mr Bean with Baldrick.

In fact, it would actually be Mr Bean (Brown) with Wallace (Miliband) and then Baldrick (Burnham)
    I think you are unfair:

Blair = Thatcher, hated by the left
    Brown = Major, staggering on until the bitter end
    Miliband = Hague playing to the core vote
    Burnham? = IDS.... (except he'll get to lose an eletion)
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I did read a certain leftwinger's views on Twitter, to the effect that English people are bad and our history is just evil, and the electorate are wrong and wicked.

Anyway, that's just leftist clickbait, onanistic literature for masochistic losers who consider people who hold a different democratic opinion to them to be inherently evil and that their own particular perspective is the definition of goodness.

It's not unlike a certain niche of theists, who think God is on their side and whatever they think is (quite literally) divine.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Cooper's on as well, yes?

I do wonder if they'll go for Burnham. Surely Labour will tire of rubbish leaders sooner or later?

FPT: I think you're too harsh on Farage. He was criticised for unresigning, so has taken that on board and selflessly resigned several other people.

What a guy. Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
    http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Ace_Rimmer
    Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his life*

(*Thorpe on Macmillian)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Really? That's depressing. Labour need all parts of the left to pull together if it is to win again.

She thinks Lab spent too much on public services that were on their knees after 18 yrs of right of centre wrecking.

She is as much from left and you or I. She may to be the right of you. But the key point is where she sit wrt to the electorate as a whole and the voters.

On the point wrt to spending. Clearly Labour spent too much. But I would argue not on public services. Most of the money was spent mopping after market failures. Some of which could have been avoided.

Regardless, writing her off before the contest has even started is daft.

Hoping she doesnt get 35 MPs .

Although the one bright spot would be that if she does we know Hunt wouldnt!!
    If I may be allowed to intrude without displaying too much Schadenfreude, your discussion illustrates well the Lab challenge and is symptomatic to many righties such as myself

Blair, Mandy, the whole of Nu-Lab, etc are dismissed after delivering three election victories and are now vilified.

But election victories = public/voter approval.

Ergo the public has it wrong and if only they could be made to see sense and choose the correct path all would be ok.

Well it is precisely such thinking that delivered GE2015 and will, if repeated, deliver GE2020 to the Cons also
  • Options

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Rumour of a big name to join the Liz Kendall leadership campaign today. Who could it be?

IOS? He's a proven election winner.
    I think it'll be Russell Brand.
    Peter Mandleson/ Alan Milburn

Second and third on my most disliked Labour politicians behind the war criminal
    Maybe it will be Mr. Blair himself.

That should stop 35 votes dead in its tracks....

Remarkable how the only guy to win Labour an election in 40 years is so toxic within his own.party. The contrast with that other election-winning beast of our times - Maggie in the Tory party - is striking
    Although the Tory relationship with Thatcher is not entirely healthy either
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    "Vote Ed Miliband - GMB's choice for Labour Party leader"

Quite funny, really.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I see Unison / RMT are threatening the North Sea oil industry with strikes. Just what it needs with thousands under threat in Aberdeen as a result of the falling oil price.

It's about time the left and Len understood they lost the election and resuming hostilities as the military wing of the Labour Party is going to alienate them, the Labour Party and any new "non entity" leader Len ensures they select even further.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    antifrank said:

Morning all. I've had a look at what the election results portend for the SNP in 2020:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/2020-where-next-for-snp-britains-third.html

Thanks for this. The scale of Labour's defeat in Scotland is still shocking.

On the war/battle analogy I can't help but view the Unionist victory in the Referendum as being akin to Napoleon's at Borodino. The disintegration of Scottish Labour is on a par* with that of the Grande Armée in the winter of 1812.

Just as Napoleon rushed to Paris to gather forces to resist the Russian advance, so Cameron is now attempting to create a DevoMax settlement that will stem the advance of the SNP in the Scottish electorate. It might be more surprising if defeat for the Union does not come within three years.

* Or possibly worse. On Wikipedia figures almost 4% of the Grande Armée survived to recross the Berezina River. Ian Murray is just 2.4% of Scottish Labour's previous strength.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Matt with his tongue firmly in his cheeks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/

better his cheeks... no... I'm not going there ;)
  • Options
    Charles said:

matt said:

If that article is evidence of his thinking, I can see why he's at an ex-poly and not LBS.
    I think he makes some interesting points on where Labour's leadership failed. He seems to think Labour should move more to the left, which seems to be the opposite view of most on here.

It's also right in saying that the new Labour leader would have to show competence in leadership. Although that's hardly an unusual view. ;-)

If Labour elect Burnham as leader, it'll be like replacing Mr Bean with Baldrick.

In fact, it would actually be Mr Bean (Brown) with Wallace (Miliband) and then Baldrick (Burnham)
    I think you are unfair:

Charles
    Major is nothing like Brown and certainly did not stagger on to the bitter end. He at least stood for and won a general election . Brown on the other hand......
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

Morning all. I've had a look at what the election results portend for the SNP in 2020:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/2020-where-next-for-snp-britains-third.html

On the war/battle analogy I can't help but view the Unionist victory in the Referendum as being akin to Napoleon's at Borodino. The disintegration of Scottish Labour is on a par* with that of the Grande Armée in the winter of 1812.

Just as Napoleon rushed to Paris to gather forces to resist the Russian advance, so Cameron is now attempting to create a DevoMax settlement that will stem the advance of the SNP in the Scottish electorate. It might be more surprising if defeat for the Union does not come within three years.

* Or possibly worse. On Wikipedia figures almost 4% of the Grande Armée survived to recross the Berezina River. Ian Murray is just 2.4% of Scottish Labour's previous strength.
    Scottish Labour need to rebase their expectations. They are thinking of the 2010 Scottish Labour seats as being on loan to the SNP. There is no evidence that this is a one time switch. Their voter base has defected en masse.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Labours Union division is thrashing about in its dying agony..soon be over for you ..
  • Options
    AllyPally_RobAllyPally_Rob Posts: 605

Wouldn't Vince be a better shout?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714

Wouldn't Vince be a better shout?
    But more people remember Ann Widdicombe being on strictly than Vince.

Her Paso Doble, ruined Wild Thing for me, forever.

http://youtu.be/1dtNlEh3nW0
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Moses_ said:

Charles said:

matt said:

I think you are unfair:

Charles
    Major is nothing like Brown and certainly did not stagger on to the bitter end. He at least stood for and won a general election . Brown on the other hand......
    That is the one where my analogy falls apart, but I need it for the continuity ;)

I'm actually rather a fan of John's.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    BJO - I understand your position, and was in a similar place myself. However, I have come to the conclusion that we need to be pragmatic, and our first priority is to kick the Tories out in 2020 and have a government enacting at least some policies that we are happy with. Therefore, I will vote for the candidate who I think will have the best chance of winning in 2020.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135

antifrank said:

How much further can the SNP advance? Unless they gain all the constituency seats at Holyrood , and, because they’re doing so well, start adding Regional seats too.

Or ally with the Peoples Front for the Re-Establishment of Northumbria( or something like that)!.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Charles said:

matt said:

I think you are unfair:

Charles
    The Major government was an absolute disgrace at the end. He lost his majority, had to resign his own leadership to attempt to regain authority. The row over publication of the Scott Report was probably the nadir of that government.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    What this achieves is to damage and humiliate the other potential candidates to whom the party may have to turn in 2018, and certainly in 2020, when it turns out that AIC. I thought it was the pb tories who never learned.
  • Options
    King Cole, I believe there's an at least unofficial alliance with Yorkshire First.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    Charles said:

I am not saying Cameron is a non-entity. I am saying that he was back in 2005: an ex-SpAd with a PR background who had never achieved anything of note.

Although his abilities inside the Tory party had clearly been recognised - he was briefing the PM/LOTO at one point, and various other elements.

He may not have been known to the wider public, or achieved anything of note outside the political field, but that doesn't mean he's a non-entity to the *electors*
    Michael Howard recognised Cameron's abilities and encouraged him. He also spun out the timescale of the Leadership Election so Cameron could influence more people.

So a nonentity with a very powerful backer...

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    Charles/Josias Burnham is nothing like IDS, he is actually probably the most telegenic of the candidates with a northern background but Cambridge degree, indeed in 2010 he was actually considered a Blairite (IDS was always a hardline Thatcherite). Although I think Cooper will edge it, and neither are as good as Blair, both would be a significant improvement on Ed Miliband, and with Cameron not running in 2020 anything could happen
  • Options
    I think, as DavidL has alluded to in a previous thread, the union now needs to look for an amicable divorce.

In particular Scotland is going to have a very unhealthy one party practically government till at least a second independence referendum is held. The first was once in a generation, but the 2015 GE result in Scotland was a once in a lifetime switch-event too.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    antifrank said:

Good morning too. Very interesting reading as always: many thanks.
  • Options
    bigjohnowls A Farron led LD party will have little effect in Labour-Tory marginals, but it will restore Labour to LD tactical voting in Tory-LD marginals which disappeared under Clegg
  • Options

Charles said:

Michael Howard recognised Cameron's abilities and encouraged him. He also spun out the timescale of the Leadership Election so Cameron could influence more people.

I'm on your side! I think that Cameron was well known inside the Tory parliamentary party, but just hadn't been spotted by the media
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles/Josias Burnham is nothing like IDS, he is actually probably the most telegenic of the candidates with a northern background but Cambridge degree, indeed in 2010 he was actually considered a Blairite (IDS was always a hardline Thatcherite). Although I think Cooper will edge it, and neither are as good as Blair, both would be a significant improvement on Ed Miliband, and with Cameron not running in 2020 anything could happen

I will bet that ABWNBPM.

What terms would you offer?
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    Go Butcher!

Ten more years!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    antifrank said:

Thanks again. Interesting stuff as ever, but on this occasion I think you've overlooked an elephant which is currently asleep in the room but will very soon wake up: Scottish politics now is about Holyrood 2016. The immediate question for Labour is the degree to which the slaughter of May 7th 2015 will be replicated next year. Of course, the electoral system for Holyrood is such that in seat terms the slaughter won't be as bad, but it might still be very bad indeed in vote-share terms. Given the near-total meltdown in Scottish Labour - not helped by in-fighting at UK level - it's hard to see why Scottish voters should be any more attracted to Labour next year than they were this year.

If we assume that I'm right, and that the Holyrood election will deal another gut-wrenching blow to what's left of Labour's morale and organisational structure in Scotland, then we could see a major realignment of Scottish politics. I've no idea what form that might take, but I do think that extrapolating to 2020 from the results in 2015 is even more fraught in Scotland than in the rest of the UK. There may not even be the same parties on offer to voters.
  • Options
    Oblitus The Bloq Quebecois won over 50 seats in the 1993 Canadian general election and most seats in Quebec at every general election from 1993 to 2011, Quebec is still in Canada. What the average Scot wants is more power not complete independence, much like the average Quebecois
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I'm on your side! I think that Cameron was well known inside the Tory parliamentary party, but just hadn't been spotted by the media
    Cameron impressed the unlikely figure of Chris Mullin who refers to him favourably in his diaries.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Stonch said:

John, I disagree. The parliamentary party needs to have some mechanism to effect a coronation or at least narrow the field

Why would a democratic party need or want a coronation?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    HYUFD said:

bigjohnowls A Farron led LD party will have little effect in Labour-Tory marginals, but it will restore Labour to LD tactical voting in Tory-LD marginals which disappeared under Clegg

The extent of the Lib Dem shellacking was such - that alot of those seats you're probably considering as Lib Dem-Tory marginals are in fact not.

Solihull, Taunton Deane, Portsmouth South, Wells, EASTLEIGH !!!, Colchester are all safe Conservative seats now.

A great result for the Lib Dems is recapturing Eastbourne and Lewes in 2020 now, and even those are tough asks with 1st time incumbency for the Conservatives. A strong concern for them is that Hallam, Carshalton and Southport don't drop.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think, as DavidL has alluded to in a previous thread, the union now needs to look for an amicable divorce.

In particular Scotland is going to have a very unhealthy one party practically government till at least a second independence referendum is held. The first was once in a generation, but the 2015 GE result in Scotland was a once in a lifetime switch-event too.

Pulpstar, that's a misapprehension, surely. If you are talking about Scotland as a whole then its 'government' is split half Tory and half SNP - certainly going on the division of governmental roles. If the UK then it's part of a Tory-ruled UK. And in devolved terms, it's a majority SNP government with a very thin majority.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Does Unite et al have a Scottish or Welsh section that could fund Labour separately?

I'm just wondering what the various options are if funding what's seen as a national Party isn't acceptable in the future?
    Pulpstar said:

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Oblitus The Bloq Quebecois won over 50 seats in the 1993 Canadian general election and most seats in Quebec at every general election from 1993 to 2011, Quebec is still in Canada. What the average Scot wants is more power not complete independence, much like the average Quebecois

Perhaps, but Canada was already a federal country, arguably more able to flex to accommodate such changes. The UK is not, and is not likely to become one. This makes it a bit simplistic to read across from Canadian history.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585
    Hunt is now speaking to Demos think tank. You can get a live feed at Guardian site
  • Options

Hunt is now speaking to Demos think tank. You can get a live feed at Guardian site

Be still my beating heart
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

Alternatively, you could stick your hand in a blender and turn it on. Both will be equally enjoyable experiences.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Thanks again. Interesting stuff as ever, but on this occasion I think you've overlooked an elephant which is currently asleep in the room but will very soon wake up: Scottish politics now is about Holyrood 2016. The immediate question for Labour is the degree to which the slaughter of May 7th 2015 will be replicated next year. Of course, the electoral system for Holyrood is such that in seat terms the slaughter won't be as bad, but it might still be very bad indeed in vote-share terms. Given the near-total meltdown in Scottish Labour - not helped by in-fighting at UK level - it's hard to see why Scottish voters should be any more attracted to Labour next year than they were this year.

If we assume that I'm right, and that the Holyrood election will deal another gut-wrenching blow to what's left of Labour's morale and organisational structure in Scotland, then we could see a major realignment of Scottish politics. I've no idea what form that might take, but I do think that extrapolating to 2020 from the results in 2015 is even more fraught in Scotland than in the rest of the UK. There may not even be the same parties on offer to voters.
    Every time that Scottish Labour seem to hit rock bottom they seem to find another trap door. I agree that Scottish politics is going to be in a greater state of ferment than the rest of the UK. It's hard to see how this is going to disrupt the SNP's dominance, but nothing is impossible.

Obviously all of these initial surveys are for amusement only. Projecting forward five years is something only a fool would attempt. Which I suppose is why I'm doing it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If Unionists had been required to win 50% of the electorate, rather than 50% of the votes, to preserve the Union that might have been preferable.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

She is as much from left and you or I. She may to be the right of you. But the key point is where she sit wrt to the electorate as a whole and the voters.

On the point wrt to spending. Clearly Labour spent too much. But I would argue not on public services. Most of the money was spent mopping after market failures. Some of which could have been avoided.

Regardless, writing her off before the contest has even started is daft.

The structural deficit existed before the crash, so cannot be explained by it. The expansion in spending was not predominantly on hospitals and schools either (most of that was PFI so off the balance sheet). The excess spending was mostly on increased pay and expansion in numbers in the public services, and expansion of welfare benefits such as tax credits.

Both of these can produce economic growth, in that if people have money then they spend it on consumer goods, but neither is real investment in the economy or social infrastructure. The purpose of the significant payrise for doctors was to push through the marketisation of the NHS by stuffing our mouths with gold.
    I hope you rejected the gold !
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alternatively, you could stick your hand in a blender and turn it on. Both will be equally enjoyable experiences.
    I had a friend who did that as a kid. Lost a hand.

Has now moved to Dubai...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

The extent of the Lib Dem shellacking was such - that alot of those seats you're probably considering as Lib Dem-Tory marginals are in fact not.

Solihull, Taunton Deane, Portsmouth South, Wells, EASTLEIGH !!!, Colchester are all safe Conservative seats now.

A great result for the Lib Dems is recapturing Eastbourne and Lewes in 2020 now, and even those are tough asks with 1st time incumbency for the Conservatives. A strong concern for them is that Hallam, Carshalton and Southport don't drop.
    LibDems had more than 25% of the vote in 48 seats, despite being at the nadir of their recent popularity. There is room for a recovery, but one that will need to start with council and other elections.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

So far, its been a history lesson on the roots of New Labour. Quite interesting for an anorak such as I.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Does Unite et al have a Scottish or Welsh section that could fund Labour separately?

I'm just wondering what the various options are if funding what's seen as a national Party isn't acceptable in the future?

Pulpstar said:

Seems more likely to be the other way round if any difference emerges, ie less support in Scotland from Unite:
    http://www.thenational.scot/politics/unite-boss-len-mccluskey-warns-of-break-from-labour-if-party-appoints-the-wrong-uk-leader.3083
  • Options
    Charles As I think Cooper will just edge Burnham to be leader anyway that is rather a moot bet, but either would be better than Ed Miliband. Miliband was Labour's IDS, Hague the Tories Foot
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

It's all about the LibDem vote share (as it was in 2015).
    If they get 14%, they will gain quite a few seats.
    If they get 6%, they will lose rather a lot.
  • Options
    Pulpstar Seats like Lewes and Twickenham and St Ives all have bigger Labour votes than Tory majorities, they could fall back to the LDs if tactical voting returns
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles As I think Cooper will just edge Burnham to be leader anyway that is rather a moot bet, but either would be better than Ed Miliband. Miliband was Labour's IDS, Hague the Tories Foot

IDS did rather better than Miliband in those elections he contested
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Then there were four - Hunt not in the race - BBC Tweet.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 1m1 minute ago
    Tristram Hunt will not stand for leadership of UK's Labour Party http://bbc.in/1FnponM
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Does everyone think he's a thief?

• Options
    That's a shame. Hunt could've rivalled Miliband's crapness, perhaps.
  • Options
    RichardN There will be Tory tactical voting in the likes of Edinburgh for Labour to stop a second SNP majority and make indyref2 more difficult, Tories can still vote Tory on the list. Most of the seats the SNP won in 2015 they had already won in 2011 anyway.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

I'm more negative than you on the LibDems.

In many ways I think they were perceived by the voters as a collection of independents with different constituencies voting for individuals for different reasons. However, the overall brand toxicity overwhelmed the independent positioning in 2015.

However, unless you can maintain those local networks and run with the same candidate in 2020, I don't think you can automatically assume that they can easily get back to 2010 levels in every consistency (or that there is even a correlation). They need to find and develop new pockets of strength, building out from where they have redoubts still.
  • Options
    Hunt sounding good on contributory principles in welfare state and need for innovation and investment in industry.
  • Options

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Does everyone think he's a thief?

He's a banker...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Oblitus With the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and NI Assemblies we are arguably now a federal country, especially if EVEL comes in too. Quebec got some more powers after 1980'S referendum, but it was only after the second Quebec referendum in 1995 (51-49 No) that Quebec got effectively FFA
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 1m1 minute ago
    Tristram Hunt will not stand for leadership of UK's Labour Party http://bbc.in/1FnponM

Ah, no. Another bet from 2013 goes to dirt.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar Seats like Lewes and Twickenham and St Ives all have bigger Labour votes than Tory majorities, they could fall back to the LDs if tactical voting returns

You're ignoring the massive contribution to the LibDem total of the personal vote for people like Vince and Norman Baker. (Lots of people who identified even as Conservative used to tell Conservative canvassers in Lewes that 'they'd vote for Norman'). That ain't coming back. They've got a mountain to climb - it's much worse for the LibDems than the raw Tory majorities would suggest.

In any case I'm not even sure that the tactical votes are coming back. The LibDems are not going to be significant enough to attract tactical votes in the way that they used to.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    edited May 2015
    HYUFD said:

So does Torbay, but I can't see the LibDems recapturing it. A lot of natural Tories were lost to the personal vote of Adrian Sanders. Assuming he doesn't stand again (as with VInce and others) they will probably revert to 5 figure blue majorities. Newbury is a signpost of how these former LibDem seats revert to type over a couple of elections.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You're ignoring the massive contribution to the LibDem total of the personal vote for people like Vince and Norman Baker. (Lots of people who identified even as Conservative used to tell Conservative canvassers in Lewes that 'they'd vote for Norman'). That ain't coming back. They've got a mountain to climb - it's much worse for the LibDems than the raw Tory majorities would suggest.

In any case I'm not even sure that the tactical votes are coming back. The LibDems are not going to be significant enough to attract tactical votes in the way that they used to.
    I would have thought that Vince Cable would have a negative personal vote...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I would have thought that Vince Cable would have a negative personal vote...

I would have thought Norman Baker would too, but he was astonishingly popular in the constituency.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So does Torbay, but I can't see the LibDems recapturing it. A lot of natural Tories were lost to the personal vote of Adrian Sanders. Assuming he doesn't stand again (as with VInce and others) they will probably revert to 5 figure blue majorities. Newbury is a signpost of how these former LibDem seats revert to type over a couple of elections.

HYUFD said:

Tomorrow's post on the Lib Dems has the working title "The Dolorous Stroke". This is one of the reasons why.
  • Options
    Hunt definitely out
  • Options
    Not enough MPs willing to sign up for him
  • Options
    Hunt for Liz
  • Options

If last week's QT outing was any indication, he could have exceeded it.

Darwinian selection does at last seem to be applying to the Labour Party.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

I'm more negative than you on the LibDems.

In many ways I think they were perceived by the voters as a collection of independents with different constituencies voting for individuals for different reasons. However, the overall brand toxicity overwhelmed the independent positioning in 2015.

However, unless you can maintain those local networks and run with the same candidate in 2020, I don't think you can automatically assume that they can easily get back to 2010 levels in every consistency (or that there is even a correlation). They need to find and develop new pockets of strength, building out from where they have redoubts still.
    I'm not saying they are going to go back to 14%, or that they're going to gain seats. They could easily - especially if the Conservatives move towards the centre right - end up on zero.

But just as almost everyone was convinced that personal vote and a 60 by-election strategy would save a bunch of seats last time, everyone now seems convinced the LibDems are heading towards zero as their (allegedly) popular MPs are no longer in power.

I merely think that the results next time will depend almost entirely on their total vote.

If the LibDems get 14% - or, I suspect, anything more than 11%, then they will almost certainly gain seats. Don't forget 14% is a near doubling of their support.

LibDem held seats - with a few exceptions, mostly in Scotland - performed very much in line with UNS in 2015. Why would it be different in 2020?
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, he definitely would've lost the nun vote.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The sisterhood and Progress could unite around Yvette Cooper-that's the only way Andy Burnham will get a contest.The way the rules are drawn limit it to 2-way contest.The NEC could have agreed an all-woman shortlist.Looks like a caretaker manager either way.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Kevin will be the father of the house in 2065 or so. He's going nowhere.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    I doubt Hunt will stand for election in 2020. He was never a serious option for leader.

On another note, Thomas Cook could be going through an end of company experience. Has no-one there ever heard of reputation management?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

But that also assumes that you won't see people like Lynne Featherstone come out of nowhere and capture previously safe seats of some description.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

LibDem held seats - with a few exceptions, mostly in Scotland - performed very much in line with UNS in 2015.

No, there was a marked difference between the seats where the incumbent was standing and seats where the LibDems had a new candidate - IIRC Sean Fear quoted a 9 point difference in the drop in the vote share.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, it's certainly been very badly handled by Thomas Cook, perplexingly so.

For example, the apology. Why have the family learn that through the press?

I also wonder about giving £1.5m or so to charity rather than the family. If that were at the request of the family, fair enough, but otherwise, I would've thought the family ought to be the beneficiaries.

Incidentally, who's your pick for Labour leader?
  • Options
    May 7th wiped out a quarter of a century of LibDem election and by-election gains. Assuming they can even get the funding to get back in the game - which must be a material concern - it is going to be a long, hard, slow road back for them.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Nice idea. But there's a wee Scottish lass who could be in the House for the next 60 years - if Scotland doesn't get independence first....
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, maybe. Rapid rises an can be mirrored by rapid falls, and vice versa. When Scots grow tired of the SNP and if the English/Welsh grow tired of the Conservatives but don't trust Labour, that could provide a springboard for a surprisingly swift return to decent numbers for the Lib Dems.

Or they could be screwed forever. We'll see.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

LibDem held seats - with a few exceptions, mostly in Scotland - performed very much in line with UNS in 2015.

No, there was a marked difference between the seats where the incumbent was standing and seats where the LibDems had a new candidate - IIRC Sean Fear quoted a 9 point difference in the drop in the vote share.
    Possibly makes Lib Dem target #1 Bath then ?

That would sort of make sense.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The LibDem vote share fell by around 16%.

Vince Cable's vote fell by 16.4%.
    Ed Davey's vote fell by 15.3%.
    David Law's vote fell by 22.6%.
    Lynne Featherstone's vote fell by 14.7%

Where the LibDem candidates beat the 16% drop was either:
    - in Scotland, where they benefited from anti-SNP tactical voting
    or
    - against Labour where there was substantial Conservative tactical votes to squeeze (i.e. Cambridge -4.3%)
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @HYUFD

'Burnham is nothing like IDS, he is actually probably the most telegenic of the candidates with a northern background'

With about as much appeal south of Watford as Boris has on Merseyside..
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

Mr. Observer, it's certainly been very badly handled by Thomas Cook, perplexingly so.

I also wonder about giving £1.5m or so to charity rather than the family. If that were at the request of the family, fair enough, but otherwise, I would've thought the family ought to be the beneficiaries.

Kendall looks the best bet to me. But the most important thing from my perspective is that the process itself is competitive and allows a full debate. None of the candidates comes close to being as crap as EdM, but neither is any of them outstanding. A properly contested leadership election gives one or more of them a chance to make a mark and to set themselves up for what is going to be a very hard five years.

• Options
    antifrank said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tomorrow's post on the Lib Dems has the working title "The Dolorous Stroke". This is one of the reasons why.
    Crikey! Any LibDem revival dependent upon a successful end to the Grail Quest?
  • Options

antifrank said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Crikey! Any LibDem revival dependent upon a successful end to the Grail Quest?
    Tristram is in the wrong party.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The LibDem vote share fell by around 16%.

Vince Cable's vote fell by 16.4%.
    Ed Davey's vote fell by 15.3%.
    David Law's vote fell by 22.6%.
    Lynne Featherstone's vote fell by 14.7%

Where the LibDem candidates beat the 16% drop was either:
    - in Scotland, where they benefited from anti-SNP tactical voting
    or
    - against Labour where there was substantial Conservative tactical votes to squeeze (i.e. Cambridge -4.3%)
    I haven't done a full analysis, but there were seats like Taunton Deane where they mislaid 27.7%, and Somerton & Frome (28.1%)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Oblitus With the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and NI Assemblies we are arguably now a federal country, especially if EVEL comes in too. Quebec got some more powers after 1980'S referendum, but it was only after the second Quebec referendum in 1995 (51-49 No) that Quebec got effectively FFA

I think EVEL is very different to being properly Federal, with a separate English Parliament [or regional Parliaments] with its own election.

If England is serious about maintaining the Union then it has to establish its own Parliament[s], rather than treat Scottish MPs as unwelcome guests in a Westminster Parliament that is only part time a UK Parliament.

I think it's a pretty big difference which will see Scotland ending the Union [because the English don't want another Parliament with more politicians].
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi

Norman Baker -16.1% (exactly in like with UNS)
    Adrian Sanders -13.2% (marginally beat UNS...)
    Paul Burstow -12.0% (ditto)
    Andrew George -9.6% (definitely beat UNS!)
  • Options

Kendall looks the best bet to me. But the most important thing from my perspective is that the process itself is competitive and allows a full debate. None of the candidates comes close to being as crap as EdM, but neither is any of them outstanding. A properly contested leadership election gives one or more of them a chance to make a mark and to set themselves up for what is going to be a very hard five years.

I keep coming back to the point that having this leadership election now is a terrible idea. Harman is a decent commons performer and a very safe pair of hands to keep things ticking over for the next 2/3 years while the party decides what it stands for.

2020 is going to end up like another re-run of 92 if Labour insist on a leadership election now. It's the Tories that'll have the new shiny exciting leader by then like Major was in 92.
  • Options
    Charles IDS won 35% in the 2003 local elections, Miliband won 37% in the equivalent 2011 elections
This discussion has been closed.