Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Burnham’s nomination surge could block out other LAB leader

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Burnham’s nomination surge could block out other LAB leadership contenders

We all remember how the big unions were able to influence the 2010 leadership race by sending out to political levy paying members ballot packs like the one above. This time the rules have changed and the opportunity to influence is most strong at the nomination stage.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    They should have a rule saying that they need 35 but no more, or that only the first 35 will be accepted, or whatever. When I stood as a candidate I needed to be nominated by 10 people. There was no option for me to be nominated by 200 or 4,000 just to show off.
  • Options
    StonchStonch Posts: 42
    John, I disagree. The parliamentary party needs to have some mechanism to effect a coronation or at least narrow the field
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    You can't stop people getting more nominations that they need. Even if you technically just have 35 nominations you can have one hundred saying they'll back you and only you. It's an abuse Gordon Brown mastered.

Given its an AV vote there's really little need to restrict the field from an operational PoV. The bar could be lowered to two people needed for nominations.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    It's a bad system, nominations should be anonymous
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    FPT. "UKIP becomes a one-man band once again – another extraordinary day in the life of Farage’s party"

This has long been a cyclical pattern of behaviour within Farage's fiefdom at the top of Ukip, only difference this time, is that increased electoral success has brought far more media scrutiny. Patrick O'Flynn and Suzanne Evans are not just the latest political casualties to fall on their swords because they stood up to Farage, they also happen to be two of the strongest and most effective media performers Ukip has produced outside of Farage in recent years... Douglas Carswell and Mark Reckless really burnt their political boats when they defected from the Conservative party to Ukip, so its interesting that Carswell won his battle on the issue of the Ukip short money while Reckless is now being offered a key role in the party after losing his seat.

Farage has long relied on a Ukip membership group think that has him as the one man star and key component to their growing success in the polls over recent years. But in fact he has long been the barrier to that widening appeal over the last decade. Just check out the amount of Ukip MEP's who have fallen by the wayside in recent years, or Farage's falling personal polling in the run up to the 2015 GE. Farage's last appearance on BBC QuestionTime as he defended his decision to withdraw his pledge to resign as Ukip Leader if he failed to be elected as an MP was a disaster as it laid bared his personal failings as a leader.

Ukip benefited far more from the former 'respectable' protest party of the Libdems entering into a Coalition Government with the Conservatives than they have ever done with Farage as their leader. Genuinely believe that Ukip membership are making a huge mistake by backing yesterday's man instead of Ukip's future potential leaders.
  • Options
    The last thing Labour needs is for the this election to look as much of a union stitch-up as the last one was. Even the unions should see that. It beggars belief that they still don't see their desire to keep total control over 'their' party as a hindrance to that party being able to deliver anything. As a non-Labour person, I'm more amused than anything. If I were a Labour Party member, I'd be concerned.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I notice that some MPs swore the oath on the New Testament only, rather than the King James Bible (Protestant) or the Jerusalem Bible (Catholic) or the Old Testament (Jewish). What is the religious or doctrinal difference or significance of the NT only, as opposed to the whole Bible?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    On topic. This "Burnham’s nomination surge could block out other LAB leadership contenders" is really becoming a huge danger for the Labour party, and along the lines of the polling that over the last five years that led to so much complacency within the Labour party until it was far too late.

Andy Burnham wasn't the answer to the Labour Leadership contest five years ago when they decided to vote for Ed Miliband and go on the NHS rather than the economy big time. Picking Andy Burnham while trying to now rescue the Labour party credibility on either economy or the NHS seems rather far fetched and complacent.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

You can't stop people getting more nominations that they need. Even if you technically just have 35 nominations you can have one hundred saying they'll back you and only you. It's an abuse Gordon Brown mastered.

Given its an AV vote there's really little need to restrict the field from an operational PoV. The bar could be lowered to two people needed for nominations.

I guess the thinking is that you want the successful candidates to be at least moderately acceptable to the parliamentary party.

I'd have thought the dynamics of this would be good for Liz Kendall in that:
    1) MPs aren't going to send members a no-woman shortlist, so she's likely to get her 35.
    2) If it's her vs Burnham that feels very "future vs the past", whereas if there's a wider field it's more "front-runner vs crowd of non-entities".
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Unite bankroll it, of course they are going to get their man.

It's their party, and they'll buy who they want to, buy who they want to, buy who they want to....
  • Options
    Trouble for Labour in this election is that both the front-runners and the crowd are all non-entities.

Bizarre though it is to say it, the departure of David and Ed Miliband and Ed Balls from the front-line has robbed Labour of its figures of gravitas.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    Brown was anointed unopposed
    Miliband was the Union's choice
    Burnham may be anointed unopposed as the Union's choice.

What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

Bizarre though it is to say it, the departure of David and Ed Miliband and Ed Balls from the front-line has robbed Labour of its figures of gravitas.

That the Miliband Brothers could be seen as 'figures of gravitas' is testimony to the damage Brown did in securing his coronation.....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,036
    Thoughts on Labour's troubles at the election from a fellow coastal walker:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/scscscs/story-26531276-detail/story.html
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Labour MPs need to realise the whole country can see the leadership election process taking place. If they deliver a contest which is effectively little more than a coronation then electos will rightly conclude Labour is not serious about confronting the challenges it faces.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    JohnLoony said:

I notice that some MPs swore the oath on the New Testament only, rather than the King James Bible (Protestant) or the Jerusalem Bible (Catholic) or the Old Testament (Jewish). What is the religious or doctrinal difference or significance of the NT only, as opposed to the whole Bible?

Quite a lot of things in the OT that some Christians believe has been superseded - e.g. about 90% of the Book of Leviticus that contains many ancient Jewish laws most Christians do not follow.

Also some other things many liberal Christians are uncomfortable with, e.g. the genocides in the Books of Samuel.
  • Options

Trouble for Labour in this election is that both the front-runners and the crowd are all non-entities.

Two non-entities slugged it out in the last Tory leadership election. Less than five years later one of them was prime minister.

• Options
    On topic, what does it say about the abysmal performance of the Labour party over the last five or so years that there is talk of a man who previously - rightly - came fourth in a weak field last time and has spent the last five years doing absolutely nothing (can anyone point to a single achievement? The only one I can think of was to put the NHS at the heart of the Labour campaign and that was a complete fiasco) is now alleged to be the red-hot favourite this time around?
  • Options

Two non-entities slugged it out in the last Tory leadership election. Less than five years later one of them was prime minister.

I don't think it is fair to describe Davis as a nonentity. He had a successful time as Shadow Home Secretary and a solid record in government as a junior minister to fall back on. Cameron was an unknown, rather than a nonentity.

Burnham's problem is he is not an unknown, but he's still a nonentity, which could also be said of Cooper. He's been around for a long time, including three years in the cabinet, and people still don't rate him. That leaves only Liz Kendall as the potential unknown springing a surprise (the David Cameron figure, if you like).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I don't think it is fair to describe Davis as a nonentity. He had a successful time as Shadow Home Secretary and a solid record in government as a junior minister to fall back on. Cameron was an unknown, rather than a nonentity.

Burnham's problem is he is not an unknown, but he's still a nonentity, which could also be said of Cooper. He's been around for a long time, including three years in the cabinet, and people still don't rate him. That leaves only Liz Kendall as the potential unknown springing a surprise (the David Cameron figure, if you like).

A middling minister v an unknown. Sounds like a battle of non-entities to me. It is only retrospect that enables a different spin. What the Tories did right, though, was to have a proper, fully transparent leadership contest. It's what Labour needs too.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Labour MPs need to realise the whole country can see the leadership election process taking place. If they deliver a contest which is effectively little more than a coronation then electos will rightly conclude Labour is not serious about confronting the challenges it faces.

If one candidate is clearly superior then I don't think there'd be any problem with a pseudo-coronation. The problem is that rallying around Burnham is very different to rallying around Blair.
  • Options

I thought the associated article:

Some of our Dinosaurs are Missing was about SLab:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/dinosaurs-missing-Cambridge-playgroup-s-toys/story-26495278-detail/story.html
  • Options

At least they hadn't demonstrated they were nonentities while in Office.....
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2015
    My reality is that Labour are no longer fit for purpose. The party constructed as it was no longer has to "fight" for the rights of the working man/woman) NMW and benefits structure has largely made them irrelevant.
    They need a third way, decoupled from the Unions.. but that's a long way off. It will take a few more election losses for the penny to sink in.

(I have no idea how that might pan out but what I do know is that the more the Unions interfere in the Labour party, the less electable it will become)
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    ydoethur said:

On topic, what does it say about the abysmal performance of the Labour party over the last five or so years that there is talk of a man who previously - rightly - came fourth in a weak field last time and has spent the last five years doing absolutely nothing (can anyone point to a single achievement? The only one I can think of was to put the NHS at the heart of the Labour campaign and that was a complete fiasco) is now alleged to be the red-hot favourite this time around?

Burnham put the NHS up front In 2010. That worked so well he did it again in 2015.
    Repeating the same mistake is the sign of Ed Miliband,
  • Options

I must have missed the huge impression Davis made when he was a minister in the Major government. I guess Europe was not a big issue back then.

• Options
    @SouthamObserver I agree with @CarlottaVance. It's not that Davis was a 'middling minister' or Cameron an 'unknown' that is the issue (and I would still disagree, incidentally, that they were nonentities). The issue is that Cooper and Burnham have been around for many years, including long spells at the top of government, and are still hapless nonentities. That was not something that could be said of any of the five candidates in 2005 except possibly Fox.
  • Options

I must have missed the huge impression Davis made when he was a minister in the Major government. I guess Europe was not a big issue back then.

The mere fact that you missed something does not mean that it did not happen. Were you aware of his work on the Public Accounts Committee either? He was far more effective than Hodge, but because he was not a stuck up egomaniac he didn't go flaunting it everywhere. Of course, that may have made him unsuitable to be a party leader, but it doesn't make him a nonentity.

Meanwhile, Cooper (HIPS) and Burnham (banks and Mid Staffs)...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@SouthamObserver I agree with @CarlottaVance. It's not that Davis was a 'middling minister' or Cameron an 'unknown' that is the issue (and I would still disagree, incidentally, that they were nonentities). The issue is that Cooper and Burnham have been around for many years, including long spells at the top of government, and are still hapless nonentities. That was not something that could be said of any of the five candidates in 2005 except possibly Fox.

Cameron was a non-entity. And he became PM. Being a non-entity is no barrier to anything. Being damaged goods is an issue - and one that may be far more pertinent for both Burnham and Cooper. That's why the scrutiny of a proper leadership contest is so important for Labour. Who wins is far less of an issue than the process by which they get there.

• Options

I thought the associated article:

Some of our Dinosaurs are Missing was about SLab:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/dinosaurs-missing-Cambridge-playgroup-s-toys/story-26495278-detail/story.html
    You mean:

A Scottish party’s toy-like dinosaurs have gone missing after the country was used as a venue for the general election.

The suspected theft of the MPs has left the few remaining Scottish Labour voters heartbroken after they went missing from all over the country on May 7.

A plea for their return has been put out on social media by the London-based party, started in 1900, that works with the dinosaurs, many of whom are "facing significant challenges in their lives".

The party tweeted: "Party's beloved MP’s went missing during #GE2015 when the country was democratically polled. Have you seen them?!"
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The mere fact that you missed something does not mean that it did not happen. Were you aware of his work on the Public Accounts Committee either? He was far more effective than Hodge, but because he was not a stuck up egomaniac he didn't go flaunting it everywhere. Of course, that may have made him unsuitable to be a party leader, but it doesn't make him a nonentity.

Meanwhile, Cooper (HIPS) and Burnham (banks and Mid Staffs)...

Like Cameron, Davis had made no impression on the public. You now seem to be arguing that Burnham and Cooper are anything but non-entities. I agree. That's why they need to face a serious challenge.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    The most interesting thing that Burnham has done since the last time was the work he did bringing on the Hillsborough Inquiry. He seems genuinely popular in the north west as a result.

His work on the NHS has been considerably less inspired. He scored a number of points when the hapless Lansley was in charge trying to get his shambles of a bill through the Commons but he has been hopelessly outclassed by Hunt and embarrassed by some of the disasters in the NHS that may not have happened on his watch but which he showed no interest whatsoever in getting to the bottom of.

His failures in that respect are painfully telling and make me question whether he is fit for leadership, let alone deserving of a coronation. He was more concerned with the image of the NHS than he was for those that had been abused and killed by its neglect (an interesting contrast to Hillsborough in some ways). Labour under him will still be a slave to the producer interest, more focussed on the staff than the customers. As of course are the Unions that are backing him so strongly.

This emphasis on the producer interest fits not only with the Unions but also the membership of the Labour party which is dominated by those that work in the public sector. Nothing wrong with that but if they want to win elections they need to be much more focussed on the 26m that don't work in the public sector than the 5m who do. I don't see them getting that from Burnham.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

If that article is evidence of his thinking, I can see why he's at an ex-poly and not LBS.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cameron was a non-entity. And he became PM. Being a non-entity is no barrier to anything. Being damaged goods is an issue - and one that may be far more pertinent for both Burnham and Cooper. That's why the scrutiny of a proper leadership contest is so important for Labour. Who wins is far less of an issue than the process by which they get there.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree SO. I do not think anyone who went from being a bag-carrier to being party leader in just five years, and then PM in another five, can be considered a nonentity (and I notice you seem reluctant to expand on your reasons for thinking he is one). Whether he is a leader of talent, good judgement and shrewdness is another thing (he clearly isn't) but it suggests he has got something about him. (I would feel the same way about Kendall, incidentally if she wins - not Hunt though, because if he gets on the ballot paper it will be because he's a TV presenter.)

Coming fourth in a contest after a long spell in cabinet, or even being unable to run - that's being a nonentity.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The most interesting thing that Burnham has done since the last time was the work he did bringing on the Hillsborough Inquiry. He seems genuinely popular in the north west as a result.

His work on the NHS has been considerably less inspired. He scored a number of points when the hapless Lansley was in charge trying to get his shambles of a bill through the Commons but he has been hopelessly outclassed by Hunt and embarrassed by some of the disasters in the NHS that may not have happened on his watch but which he showed no interest whatsoever in getting to the bottom of.

His failures in that respect are painfully telling and make me question whether he is fit for leadership, let alone deserving of a coronation. He was more concerned with the image of the NHS than he was for those that had been abused and killed by its neglect (an interesting contrast to Hillsborough in some ways). Labour under him will still be a slave to the producer interest, more focussed on the staff than the customers. As of course are the Unions that are backing him so strongly.

This emphasis on the producer interest fits not only with the Unions but also the membership of the Labour party which is dominated by those that work in the public sector. Nothing wrong with that but if they want to win elections they need to be much more focussed on the 26m that don't work in the public sector than the 5m who do. I don't see them getting that from Burnham.

A very fair post. A coronation for Burnham would be very, very bad for Labour. He needs to face a proper challenge and to answer hard questions. This whole process will be watched closely by the electorate.

• Options
    @SouthamObserver

I think I have uncovered the problem. You are defining non-entities as 'someone who is not known' (the classic post-Latin definition). I would argue that it means 'someone who is no good' (which is the current colloquial definition - 'that person's a complete nonentity').

That is a very different thing, and that's where we're getting into this tangle. If we go by your definition, you would be right about the 2005 contest although it would be worth pointing out in Clarke and Rifkind there were two big names involved.

On my definition, clearly Burnham and Cooper are nonentities - but on yours, they would not be, because they are not unknowns.

Interesting, the way language informs debate!

Anyway must get off to work. Have a good morning.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree SO. I do not think anyone who went from being a bag-carrier to being party leader in just five years, and then PM in another five, can be considered a nonentity (and I notice you seem reluctant to expand on your reasons for thinking he is one). Whether he is a leader of talent, good judgement and shrewdness is another thing (he clearly isn't) but it suggests he has got something about him. (I would feel the same way about Kendall, incidentally if she wins - not Hunt though, because if he gets on the ballot paper it will be because he's a TV presenter.)

Coming fourth in a contest after a long spell in cabinet, or even being unable to run - that's being a nonentity.

I am not saying Cameron is a non-entity. I am saying that he was back in 2005: an ex-SpAd with a PR background who had never achieved anything of note.

• Options

A very fair post. A coronation for Burnham would be very, very bad for Labour. He needs to face a proper challenge and to answer hard questions. This whole process will be watched closely by the electorate.

I'd agree with that certainly - but then a coronation is bad for any political leader (cf Brown, Howard, Eden, Neville Chamberlain...)

In Burnham's case though, his baggage makes that even more important - if he appears to be dodging the bullets at an early stage, it will only make it worse later when the said bullet is fired by David Cameron on live TV.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

The last thing Labour needs is for the this election to look as much of a union stitch-up as the last one was. Even the unions should see that. It beggars belief that they still don't see their desire to keep total control over 'their' party as a hindrance to that party being able to deliver anything. As a non-Labour person, I'm more amused than anything. If I were a Labour Party member, I'd be concerned.

Quite. Labour should tell Unite and McCluskey where to go.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    matt said:

If that article is evidence of his thinking, I can see why he's at an ex-poly and not LBS.
    I think he makes some interesting points on where Labour's leadership failed. He seems to think Labour should move more to the left, which seems to be the opposite view of most on here.

It's also right in saying that the new Labour leader would have to show competence in leadership. Although that's hardly an unusual view. ;-)

If Labour elect Burnham as leader, it'll be like replacing Mr Bean with Baldrick.

In fact, it would actually be Mr Bean (Brown) with Wallace (Miliband) and then Baldrick (Burnham)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

DavidL said:

Hunt is a very able guy who managed to take the heat out of the NHS and thus some steam out of the Labour campaign so being outclassed by him is no disgrace.

But for me the process is not as important as the result. I accept that the process, especially the envelope at the top of the page, haunted Ed Miliband but the current system should resolve that.

What Labour need is a leader with a vision that embraces a much bigger share of the electorate than Ed ever did; someone with interesting things to say and a willingness to embrace new ideas to old problems even if it means challenging vested interests, especially so perhaps.

He carried perhaps a fatal amount of baggage but for me Balls was by far the brightest and most interesting Labour politician of his generation, one of the few that survived the killing fields of talent that created Brown's coronation. His contributions will be missed. His wife is also clearly very bright but has problems expressing herself in an interesting or engaging way. Kendall seems to have no problem with the latter but for me she has yet to show that she has something of substance to say.

Without getting bogged down in the non entity debate Cameron undoubtedly used 5 years as LOTO to get himself known and to win a following in the country. It is a gamble, especially in a party which finds it impossible to get rid of duffers IDS style, but I think Labour should do the same and go for a new face who is personable and capable of reaching out beyond the core vote.

If the Unions prevent that from being even a choice open to the electorate they will have done the Labour party another grave disservice.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I disagree - there was quite a buzz about Cameron's potential and image and his listings speech was revelation. Davis at that time was also rated though considered perhaps as too much of a safe choice - ironic given his subsequent history :)

My bigger concern is that I see diminishing signs of Labour engaging in any serious analysis of their purpose. Without that any leader who emerges is unlikely to shine.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited May 2015
    @PickardJE: Rumour of a big name to join the Liz Kendall leadership campaign today. Who could it be?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited May 2015
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Rumour of a big name to join the Liz Kendall leadership campaign today. Who could it be?

IOS? He's a proven election winner.
  • Options
    felix said:

I disagree - there was quite a buzz about Cameron's potential and image and his listings speech was revelation. Davis at that time was also rated though considered perhaps as too much of a safe choice - ironic given his subsequent history :)

My bigger concern is that I see diminishing signs of Labour engaging in any serious analysis of their purpose. Without that any leader who emerges is unlikely to shine.

Yes - the contest itself allowed Cameron to make a mark. I doubt you are really concerned about a possible Labour coronation :-)

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I guess the thinking is that you want the successful candidates to be at least moderately acceptable to the parliamentary party.

I'd have thought the dynamics of this would be good for Liz Kendall in that:
    1) MPs aren't going to send members a no-woman shortlist, so she's likely to get her 35.
    2) If it's her vs Burnham that feels very "future vs the past", whereas if there's a wider field it's more "front-runner vs crowd of non-entities".
    Hasn't Cooper already got to 35 as another member of the past and a woman? Cooper rather blocks Kendall playing the woman card.
    ydoethur said:

JohnLoony said:

Quite a lot of things in the OT that some Christians believe has been superseded - e.g. about 90% of the Book of Leviticus that contains many ancient Jewish laws most Christians do not follow.

Also some other things many liberal Christians are uncomfortable with, e.g. the genocides in the Books of Samuel.
    Funny thing is many things religiously conservative Christians are uncomfortable with are effectively only "sins" due to the Old Testament. The notion that homosexuality is a sin for instance is one of those laws from Leviticus - there isn't a single New Testament passage where Jesus has anything to say about homosexuality. Which somewhat makes it bemusing that it so exercises so many Christians.

Cameron a "non-entity" as he was up-and-coming, he had potential. Butcher Burnham versus Mrs Balls is a battle of proven non-entities that didn't make a positive mark during their time in office. Kendall at least has potential. She may not be crap, or she may be - Butcher is proven crap.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    If Labour has any form of coronation and then a debate about the future of Labour, then that debate may be worthless as they will not be asking the right questions, and so reach the right conclusions.

It is really vital that Labour spends 6 months plus under Harriet in debating its future and its raison d'etre. This time would allow the leadership candidates to either come to the fore or diminish and reveal their lack of abilities and capabilities.

This long debate and soul-searching is against the strategy of the unions who want a quick coronation so that they can still control their puppet's strings. As the unions' thinking is still of that of a century ago, any form of long debate would diminish their effect on the leadership outcome and their future power-base.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Leave IOS alone.

He fell into Lynton Crosby's elephant sized trap and for that we should be forever grateful as it helped the Tories win a majority.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Cooper's on as well, yes?

I do wonder if they'll go for Burnham. Surely Labour will tire of rubbish leaders sooner or later?

FPT: I think you're too harsh on Farage. He was criticised for unresigning, so has taken that on board and selflessly resigned several other people.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    I see my MP has very vocally backed Kendall.

A fact that means I will struggle to support him next time.

If Kendall becomes leader i am more likely to vote Green than Lab in 2020.

Lab is in a mess for every centre right vote it woos it will lose core vote to NOTA, Green or a Farron led LD party (the latter won't apply if Lamb wins).

Alternatively we have seen at GE2015 how successful a core vote strategy under FPTP is!!
  • Options
    F1: a reminder [thanks to a random tweet I saw] that Monaco, uniquely, has the first two practice sessions on Thursday (I think there's a religious festival on Friday), but the rest of the weekend is otherwise normal.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Good morning, everyone.

I do wonder if they'll go for Burnham. Surely Labour will tire of rubbish leaders sooner or later?

FPT: I think you're too harsh on Farage. He was criticised for unresigning, so has taken that on board and selflessly resigned several other people.

What a guy. Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
    http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Ace_Rimmer
  • Options
    Labour has been in power for 13 of the past 18 years. That it has nobody who is immediately obvious as a candidate to be Prime Minister shows at the very least a failure of succession planning.

Or rather, it shows how good the Brown clique was at sowing the fields with salt.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

I think it'll be Russell Brand.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Lab is in a mess for every centre right vote it woos it will lose core vote to NOTA, Green or a Farron led LD party (the latter won't apply if Lamb wins).

Alternatively we have seen at GE2015 how successful a core vote strategy under FPTP is!!

Morning Owls - Hallam looks interesting for a by-election/2020 next time round with potential LD -> Con unwind. I don't think going after it was tactically wrong from Labour.

You're right, if Kendall is selected a Farron Lib Dem party could do well. But Labour need to try and pick up the centre ground.

• Options

Labour has been in power for 13 of the past 18 years. That it has nobody who is immediately obvious as a candidate to be Prime Minister shows at the very least a failure of succession planning.

Or rather, it shows how good the Brown clique was at sowing the fields with salt.

So you're saying Gordon Brown = Scipio Aemilianus Africanus and Labour = Carthage

Which seems apt, as I said Ed Miliband = Hannibal
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Peter Mandleson/ Alan Milburn

Second and third on my most disliked Labour politicians behind the war criminal
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

UKIP is the new politics. Old politics - leader gets fired by Party. New politics - Party gets fired by leader....
  • Options

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

I reckon you Labour folk are allergic to power.

Why would you hate the only people that got you elected in the last 40 years?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Really? That's depressing. Labour need all parts of the left to pull together if it is to win again.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, worth noting Carthage was 'reborn' as a Roman city [to the extent the Exarchate of Carthage rescued Byzantium from the tyranny of Phocas in the 7th century, after being reconquered during Justinian's reign by Belisarius].
  • Options

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Atishoo!!

Milburn introduced wasteful competition to the NHS and is a Tory

Mandleson is a slimy Tory

As for Blair he is a Christian, Tory, War Criminal.

Whats not to like!!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Maybe it will be Mr. Blair himself.

That should stop 35 votes dead in its tracks....

Remarkable how the only guy to win Labour an election in 40 years is so toxic within his own.party. The contrast with that other election-winning beast of our times - Maggie in the Tory party - is striking
  • Options
    marktheowlmarktheowl Posts: 169
    ydoethur said:

I'd agree with that certainly - but then a coronation is bad for any political leader (cf Brown, Howard, Eden, Neville Chamberlain...)

In Burnham's case though, his baggage makes that even more important - if he appears to be dodging the bullets at an early stage, it will only make it worse later when the said bullet is fired by David Cameron on live TV.
    This is spot on, a lot of people underestimate Burnham as he was annoying them by banging the NHS drum and they parrot lines about Mid-Staffs. Actually it was Alan Johnson who was health sec when that was going on and Burnham did the right thing by investigating it. Before 2010 he was thought of as a Blairite, which should indicate that ideologically he'd be much more inclined to move on to more fertile political territory. His social care ideas weren't half bad on the NHS (as shown by similar ideas being half-heartedly floated by Tories), and if the focus goes on those rather than 'saving the NHS' every five minutes it could be rather a good example of why one might Labour - spending money to save money in the long run rather than as perceived just because the party is the public sector party and dislikes rich people.

However, if Burnham wins how he wins is utterly vital. If it's perceived as a stitch up for a member of the old guard then all the stuff we can predict will be thrown at him will stick, and it will be deserved especially if he repeats the same mantras he did under Miliband (we don't know how much of the emphasis was his). Despite being around on Black Wednesday and being a party man from the days when the Tories were as popular as Raheem Sterling in Kirkdale, Cameron managed to convince the wider public that he was his own man by taking on his party's more prehistoric elements. Burnham arguably faces a tougher task, but must do the same and challenge the conventional view of him as a candidate of party continuity. However unfair it might be, if he doesn't it'll stick. If he does he could be a strong Lab leader - hinterland, not an empty suit and maybe one of the few who can speak to the three parts of the electorate who currently hold Labour in a vice (Scots, mid England, Northern working class voters). If he wins with an uninspiring campaign where he plays it safe and is an inevitability, none of that applies.

• Options
    O/T

Fed up with the weather or just bored? Test your emoji skills - said to be difficult for the over -40s.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3087513/What-emoji-IQ-test-reveal-know-symbols-mean.html
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

It's hard to expect people to like Blair and Mandleson.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Really? That's depressing. Labour need all parts of the left to pull together if it is to win again.
    The point is what has Kendall got to do with the Left.

She thinks Lab spent too much on public services that were on their knees after 18 yrs of right of centre wrecking.

Even Blair didnt think twice about that.
  • Options
    Matt with his tongue firmly in his cheeks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

I would agree with your selection of most unpleasant Labour bigwigs, but I do not think that Liz Kendall would either seek or desire their support. Her agenda is to move on from old feuds. I think that she is not so right wing as she is depicted. She has made some quite pro-union statements and jointly published a policy paper with a union last year.

Unions are not uniform blocks and do not always have a left wing agenda, indeed the reasons that unions became so strong in the middle part of the last century was not that there was a mass radicalisation of the working class, it was that the workers wanted better pay and conditions. The popularity of unions was more to do with materialistic aspiration than socialist ideology, though socialist ideologues often hijacked them.

If there is a big endorsement today then it would most likely be from some of the 2010 or 2015 intake. Possibly Chuka or Stella.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Out of interest is there something specific that Kendall has said or done that's narking you off?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    62.5 - what on Earth was the monkey chicken drumstick??
    Financier said:

O/T

Fed up with the weather or just bored? Test your emoji skills - said to be difficult for the over -40s.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3087513/What-emoji-IQ-test-reveal-know-symbols-mean.html

• Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    I have no idea as yet whether Liz Kendall would be any good or not. On the other hand, Burnham or Cooper are nailed on to lead Labour to another defeat.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

I would agree with your selection of most unpleasant Labour bigwigs, but I do not think that Liz Kendall would either seek or desire their support. Her agenda is to move on from old feuds. I think that she is not so right wing as she is depicted. She has made some quite pro-union statements and jointly published a policy paper with a union last year.

Unions are not uniform blocks and do not always have a left wing agenda, indeed the reasons that unions became so strong in the middle part of the last century was not that there was a mass radicalisation of the working class, it was that the workers wanted better pay and conditions. The popularity of unions was more to do with materialistic aspiration than socialist ideology, though socialist ideologues often hijacked them.

If there is a big endorsement today then it would most likely be from some of the 2010 or 2015 intake. Possibly Chuka or Stella.

Be a bold move by Chuka. If she turns out to be any good, she blocks his route to power... By the time she's out, he will be overtaken by a new generation.
  • Options
    I'll have turned 40 by the next election, astonishing to think in that time, only one Labour Leader has won an election.
  • Options
    Marie-France van Heel, Andy Burnham's Dutch wife, has used Twitter to describe Boris Johnson as 'an idiot' and Jeremy Hunt as 'bloody awful'

Miss Heel, a brand consultant and mother-of two, also joked "can't we have a military coup to get rid of our democratically elected government".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/andy-burnham/11616686/Andy-Burnhams-wife-Marie-France-attacks-his-rivals-on-Twitter.html
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Owl,

The Stafford case is big on PB but hardly impinges on the wider public, and as you say his role was more cover-up which is the instinctive reaction of authority.

He ticks the Northern box thus helping to repel some of the Ukip threat and the continuity will help with the London elite. His downside is his earnest dullness, but that applies to Yvette too.

Neither will be as disastrous as Ed.

But inspiring? No.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Financier said:

O/T

Cheeky Nandos

• Options
    I believe answers are given - I got 100% - don't know how - but I do get a lot of texts from teenagers that I coach in Chemistry etc.
    Plato said:

Financier said:

O/T

• Options
    What are cheeky Nandos? Christ, I feel I'm digging an even bigger hole but hey, I'm 5ft down already...

Plato said:

Financier said:

O/T

Cheeky Nandos

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Morning all. I've had a look at what the election results portend for the SNP in 2020:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/2020-where-next-for-snp-britains-third.html
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Jonathan said:

She thinks Lab spent too much on public services that were on their knees after 18 yrs of right of centre wrecking.

Did you mess Hunt on question time? He made the point (that i and many others have made) that spending was increased based on tax take that was flooding in from financial services (17% of all uk tax was paid from financial services). When the crash happened, it wasnt so much the at the time deficit (which was mildly irresponsible, but not much more) that was the problem, but all of a sudden a huge chunk of that tax just disappeared.

• Options

Jonathan said:

She is as much from left and you or I. She may to be the right of you. But the key point is where she sit wrt to the electorate as a whole and the voters.

On the point wrt to spending. Clearly Labour spent too much. But I would argue not on public services. Most of the money was spent mopping after market failures. Some of which could have been avoided.

Regardless, writing her off before the contest has even started is daft.

• Options

Out of interest is there something specific that Kendall has said or done that's narking you off?
    She thinks Milburn got it right on Health thinks Lab overspent on rescuing public services and is dancing to the tune of Blair IMO.

Tim Farron led party to be more acceptable than a Kendall led LAB methinks,

• Options
    Plato said:

What are cheeky Nandos? Christ, I feel I'm digging an even bigger hole but hey, I'm 5ft down already...

Plato said:

Financier said:

O/T

Cheeky Nandos

Male banter amongst teenagers. A "Cheeky Nandos" is an expression of non-conformity with either the healthy eating agenda of parents and teachers, or with the earnest anti-corporatism of the green left. And sometimes a cigar is just a smoke, and a Cheeky Nandos an expression of hunger.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

She is as much from left and you or I. She may to be the right of you. But the key point is where she sit wrt to the electorate as a whole and the voters.

On the point wrt to spending. Clearly Labour spent too much. But I would argue not on public services. Most of the money was spent mopping after market failures. Some of which could have been avoided.

Hoping she doesnt get 35 MPs .

Although the one bright spot would be that if she does we know Hunt wouldnt!!
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, if that's true and she does become leader, then the question would be whether more rightwing (relatively) voters gained would exceed leftwingers, such as yourself, lost to Labour.

Mind you, it would seem to be academic, with Burnham or Cooper the likelier victor.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Atishoo!!

Whats not to like!!
    I hope you're representative o the electorate for the Labour leadership.
  • Options
    Me too
    felix said:

• Options

Hoping she doesnt get 35 MPs .

Although the one bright spot would be that if she does we know Hunt wouldnt!!

Nope. We need both to be nominated and for there to be a competitive leadership election that gives voice to all parts of the party. If your views are correct, they will win.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    notme,

"but all of a sudden a huge chunk of that tax just disappeared."

Exactly. Even I as a non-economist, understand that.

"Those were the days, my friend,
    We thought they'd never end,
    We'd sing and dance forever and a day."

Hubris writ large gets its come-uppance.
  • Options
    I :heart: that song!
    CD13 said:

notme,

"but all of a sudden a huge chunk of that tax just disappeared."

Exactly. Even I as a non-economist, understand that.

"Those were the days, my friend,
    We thought they'd never end,
    We'd sing and dance forever and a day."

Hubris writ large gets its come-uppance.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Could be Hunt. He's speaking this morning.
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Atishoo!!

Whats not to like!!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2015
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/11593325/General-Election-2015-Britains-young-secret-Tories-hate-themselves.html

"On election day, one friend cried to me: “I can’t believe I’m a Tory – I hate myself.”

The mind boggles....
  • Options
    The Sun have a story that says the producers of Strictly Come Dancing are going to approach Ed Balls to appear on this year's show.

I'd love to see Balls samba and his Argentinian Foxtrot.
  • Options
    *Betting post*

My Eurovision tips for this year.

Spain and Le Royaume-Uni, available at around 246 and 341 on Betfair.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Yvette said: “Somebody said maybe he should go and do Strictly Come Dancing, which is a terrifying thought."

The Sun have a story that says the producers of Strictly Come Dancing are going to approach Ed Balls to appear on this year's show.

I'd love to see Balls samba and his Argentinian Foxtrot.

• Options
    Plato said:

Me too

felix said:

For £3 Felix and you too, could ensure they are!!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The structural deficit existed before the crash, so cannot be explained by it. The expansion in spending was not predominantly on hospitals and schools either (most of that was PFI so off the balance sheet). The excess spending was mostly on increased pay and expansion in numbers in the public services, and expansion of welfare benefits such as tax credits.

Both of these can produce economic growth, in that if people have money then they spend it on consumer goods, but neither is real investment in the economy or social infrastructure. The purpose of the significant payrise for doctors was to push through the marketisation of the NHS by stuffing our mouths with gold.
  • Options
    Mr. Root, does it?

There are many self-righteous famous people and opinion-formers who claim the moral high ground exclusively for the left, as if the those who support the Conservatives are monsters or having 'wrong' opinions/doing democracy wrong.

They personally agree with the blues but all the 'cool kids' are saying it's wrong.

We saw such nonsense barely days after the vote, with protests against the elected government less than a week after polling day.
This discussion has been closed.