Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just a reminder how LAB leadership favourite Andy Burnham d

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just a reminder how LAB leadership favourite Andy Burnham did last time out

How Andy Burnham did in the 2010 LAB leadership contest. pic.twitter.com/onH9egk8Vw

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2015
    First...this time!
  • Options
    Has anyone asked Dawn Butler who Barack Obama wants?
  • Options
    This is quite a different electorate though. No one knows how many Affiliates and supporters will sign up.

£3 to vote is not a bad deal.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    It will be quite some to go from 24 MPs to the 100 he is supposed to have signed up already.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    SeanT said:

Surely this is an argument FOR Burnham? That dreadful election gave Labour Ed Miliband. Ergo they should now opt for the opposite, the guy they totally ignored, last time.

The field was stronger last time.
  • Options
    Chelsea not doing well tonight. Wouldn't want to be Sunderland on Sunday...
  • Options

Always find it hilarious the way Labour cheer the first Sunderland result of a GE night, like they've won lol
  • Options
    sadam796sadam796 Posts: 1
    Who cares?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    FPT: It (Blairism) most certainly was about spending - certainly after 1999. And it spent because it had all that lovely City money coming in.

So it never had to answer the hard questions: do we need to do this? If we do, should the state do it? If the state does it, what is the objective? What are the potential negative/unintended consequences? How do we know when we've reached the objective? How does the state do it most cost-effectively?

Blair was good at getting into power. He had no idea what to do with it when he got there or, if he did, he lacked the courage to do it.

About the only thing he stuck his neck out over was Iraq and he utterly poisoned the well with his dishonesty about that.

That was a catastrophic error as well as a moral failing. Not just for the usual reasons but because at a time when all Western countries are grappling with whether and in what circumstances we should deal with terrorism and the effects of civil war and upheaval in distant lands we in the UK have been so burnt not just by what he did but by how he did it that we are largely disengaging at a time when, just possibly, it is dangerous of us to do so.

Does Burnham - or any of the others for that matter - have the answers to those questions?

Labour should stop looking back. They need to look forward. The world will be different in 2020. They need someone with ideas for the 2020-2025 period not the person who gets the prize because there's no-one else to take it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Always find it hilarious the way Labour cheer the first Sunderland result of a GE night, like they've won lol
    Though I think the Sunderland swings have usually been fairly indicative for other results.

They did have some of the strongest kipper results of the night.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Surely this is an argument FOR Burnham? That dreadful election gave Labour Ed Miliband. Ergo they should now opt for the opposite, the guy they totally ignored, last time.

Yeah: I knew a rogue trader once who lost gazillions by one day placing a bet the opposite way to what he'd done until then on the basis that he may as well try the opposite. At which the markets turned ..... and we're still clearing up the blood on the carpet.

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I still find it utterly incredible that Ed challenged his older brother, and obvious choice for leader. It is almost beyond comprehension.

The fact that Ed was unelectable, took the Labour party on a lefty, self destruct trajectory, continued to be leader as his poll ratings were abysmal, finished the political career of his brother to boot, and enabled the Tories to win their first majority for nearly a quarter of a century. Enough said.

Worst of all, Ed wants to play a senior role with Labour. Really Ed. Really. I mean really. Do you not think you have caused enough damage to centre left politics? At some stage I would like to see a proper Mea Culpa from Ed- not that pathetic one he gave on the 8th May.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited May 2015
    Burnham is definitely worth a look.He has made a good start and has potential to grow.

The leader doesn't need all the ideas, they need to create the environment for them to grow.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I still find it utterly incredible that Ed challenged his older brother, and obvious choice for leader. It is almost beyond comprehension.

The fact that Ed was unelectable, took the Labour party on a lefty, self destruct trajectory, continued to be leader as his poll ratings were abysmal, finished the political career of his brother to boot, and enabled the Tories to win their first majority for nearly a quarter of a century. Enough said.

Worst of all, Ed wants to play a senior role with Labour. Really Ed. Really. I mean really. Do you not think you have caused enough damage to centre left politics? At some stage I would like to see a proper Mea Culpa from Ed- not that pathetic one he gave on the 8th May.

Well if Neil Kinnock can swan around like an elder Labour statesman why shouldn't Ed?

Kinnock was at least as useless as Ed: lost 2 elections, had an even leftier manifesto than Ed in some respects, and enabled the Tories to have one of their longest periods in office. He didn't upset his brother, I grant you, but I've never thought that anything to criticise EdM for, frankly.

• Options
    tyson said:

I don't think he believes he's done anything wrong. He thinks he won the argument and had the election nicked from him by some forces beyond his control. I really think he does.
  • Options
    @Cyclefree

I agree with most of what you say, and certainly both the Blair and Brown legacies are pretty dire. It is why Labour needs to move to a post Blairite / post Brownite discussion. There is no future in refighting old feuds. I think Kendall is the only one who can move the whole thing on.

Antifrank was right about Labours prospects, the tories are the main opponents. Everyone else is a sideshow:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/2020-labours-challenge.html?m=1
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited May 2015

I don't think he believes he's done anything wrong. He thinks he won the argument and had the election nicked from him by some forces beyond his control. I really think he does.

Well the SNP was out of his control.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Burnham is definitely worth a look.He has made a good start and has potential to grow.

The leader doesn't need all the ideas, they need to create the environment for them to grow.

The fact that you are saying that Burnham is worth a look shows just how insipid the candidates are.

Burnham probably is the best of a particularly bad bunch. But depressing. Liz Kendell is awful. Yvette Cooper- just too much baggage and uninspiring. Hunt- rhymes with... And Creagh reminds me of my dear Auntie Mabel, good at baking cakes, but I wouldn't want her to run the country.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

True - but he or she needs to have some political compass, some idea of what they're trying to do and why.

And to create the environment for them to grow, they've got to be willing to debate and be challenged and hone their ideas and arguments. Whereas Burnham and others seem to be wanting to stitch up the debate within the PLP before it's even started, which is not likely to lead to the sort of environment you want.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

Yeah: I knew a rogue trader once who lost gazillions by one day placing a bet the opposite way to what he'd done until then on the basis that he may as well try the opposite. At which the markets turned ..... and we're still clearing up the blood on the carpet.

Cor, gazillions?? The Bank of England covered that one up well :p
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited May 2015
    Interesting that Burnham did better with MPs than with members, now he has the unions backing he would probably have won if Labour had kept the tripartite electoral college. As it is, now Labour Party members alone have the final say, I could see Cooper just edging it
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jonathan said:

The fact that you are saying that Burnham is worth a look shows just how insipid the candidates are.

Burnham probably is the best of a particularly bad bunch. But depressing. Liz Kendell is awful. Yvette Cooper- just too much baggage and uninspiring. Hunt- rhymes with... And Creagh reminds me of my dear Auntie Mabel, good at baking cakes, but I wouldn't want her to run the country.
    Just brought a tear of joy to my eye. And I didn't even vote Tory.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

tyson said:

I think he want to be part of the loony left rent a mob that the unions and the idiotic stop the war coalition always wheel out during protests which invariably turn into riots. A lot of lefty Labour sympathise with these chumps and that is why they lose. Blair had no truck with them but Ed wanted them on his side with the whole rich vs poor narrative he built.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tyson said:

Well if Neil Kinnock can swan around like an elder Labour statesman why shouldn't Ed?

Kinnock was at least as useless as Ed: lost 2 elections, had an even leftier manifesto than Ed in some respects, and enabled the Tories to have one of their longest periods in office. He didn't upset his brother, I grant you, but I've never thought that anything to criticise EdM for, frankly.

Wasn't it Kinnock that said that we've got our party back after Ed was elected? Grade A pillock.
    Really, with Len Dickhead McCluskey, and Ed the tit, the three of them. Argghhhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Who amongst current MPs would you want?

I can see Burnham connecting much better with the electorate. He was notably more willing to campaign than most of the shadow cabinet. Balls and Cooper were invisible. Only Harriets pink bus was prominent otherwise.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    tyson said:

Yeah, the candidates so far are not inspiring confidence or ability that much.
    As a protest I'm sticking with Graham Allen.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    SeanT said:

Although given that neither David Miliband nor Ed Balls are even MPs anymore, Burnham is simply next one down on the list. Diane Abbott would the the opposite.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Well in Burnham had been leader a couple of weeks ago, Labour would be in a much better state now.
  • Options

@Cyclefree

I agree with most of what you say, and certainly both the Blair and Brown legacies are pretty dire. It is why Labour needs to move to a post Blairite / post Brownite discussion. There is no future in refighting old feuds. I think Kendall is the only one who can move the whole thing on.

Antifrank was right about Labours prospects, the tories are the main opponents. Everyone else is a sideshow:

Yes - a very good post by Antifrank.

Labour was hollowed out by Blair and Brown. The Tories were hollowed out by Thatcher.

The Tories took a long time to recover and arguably are only now really moving on. They still - stupidly to my mind - still talk about whether someone is or is not Thatcherite or like a Thatcher. The next good Tory leader will be the person who doesn't define themself or the country by a long-dead/long out of office leader.

Labour are now at the stage of realising that they need to recover from Blair/Brown. The fact that they're still talking about candidates as Blairite or not shows that they are still like mice afraid to come out of the cat's shadow. They're allowing someone else - who isn't even there - to define them. That's like someone who's broken up, says that they are over it and then spends all their time talking to the new boyfriend about the old one.

In 2020 there will be voters who were in nursery when Blair left office. That's how far the world will have moved on. The Tories will probably seem tired. There is an opportunity there for a party which isn't constantly looking in the rear view mirror.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    I want to know why Cooper is so popular with Labour MPs. I can't think of anything other than MPs being annoyed how comfortable Burnham was doing and there's nearly always a backlash against the favourite in leadership elections.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    "How Andy Burnham did in the 2010 LAB leadership contest."

Hmm, with the top three candidates now gone, doesn't that leave Burnham top of the field?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

It's all out there. Gazillions was a slight exaggeration. Billions certainly.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Parties lose elections, fair enough, but I'm struggling to remember another instance where quite so much clear water has been put between many of the leadership candidates and what they'd signed up to only ten days ago. As for Ed, he's quickly getting airbrushed pseudo Soviet style. I have not heard anyone (someone will probably put me right) within Labour who's had a good word to say since mid morning on May 8th.

• Options

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

I can see Burnham connecting much better with the electorate. He was notably more willing to campaign than most of the shadow cabinet. Balls and Cooper were invisible. Only Harriets pink bus was prominent otherwise.
    As said I think Burnham is the best of a bad bunch. After Chuka's flakiness and Jarvis's lack of palle (I know he's an Para and all that), the older generation is tainted, Yvette is Yvette, it is probably Burnham's time.

But make no mistake, Labour do not have a leader a la Blair, or Cameron who is a game changer. The only posible one was shafted by his brother and is out of politics.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    edited May 2015
    Such despair in Labour. About Wednesday or Thursday would be the ideal time for the King over the Water to declare his candidacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Artist said:

I want to know why Cooper is so popular with Labour MPs. I can't think of anything other than MPs being annoyed how comfortable Burnham was doing and there's nearly always a backlash against the favourite in leadership elections.

She is formidable.
    Cooper would have been the favourite if it wasn't for Balls.
  • Options

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

As far as I can tell, the only thing he campaigned on was the NHS. And that worked well, didn't it?

It was meant to be Labour's USP, its secret weapon, the single most important thing anyone in the country cared about.

Burnham may be the best of the bunch - but there again in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

As said I think Burnham is the best of a bad bunch. After Chuka's flakiness and Jarvis's lack of palle (I know he's an Para and all that), the older generation is tainted, Yvette is Yvette, it is probably Burnham's time.

But make no mistake, Labour do not have a leader a la Blair, or Cameron who is a game changer. The only posible one was shafted by his brother and is out of politics.
    I think Liz is the only one who can be a gamechanger. We do not yet know if we have seen all the candidates yet.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

Labour was hollowed out by Blair and Brown. The Tories were hollowed out by Thatcher.

The Tories took a long time to recover and arguably are only now really moving on. They still - stupidly to my mind - still talk about whether someone is or is not Thatcherite or like a Thatcher. The next good Tory leader will be the person who doesn't define themself or the country by a long-dead/long out of office leader.

Labour are now at the stage of realising that they need to recover from Blair/Brown. The fact that they're still talking about candidates as Blairite or not shows that they are still like mice afraid to come out of the cat's shadow. They're allowing someone else - who isn't even there - to define them. That's like someone who's broken up, says that they are over it and then spends all their time talking to the new boyfriend about the old one.

In 2020 there will be voters who were in nursery when Blair left office. That's how far the world will have moved on. The Tories will probably seem tired. There is an opportunity there for a party which isn't constantly looking in the rear view mirror.
    All this from a Liberal Democrat!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cyclefree said:

He told his brother not to stand against Brown (when Brown was clearly unelectable) and said he'd back his brother if he held off until after the election. David upheld his end of the deal only for Ed to betray David in the most bizarre bid ever. That is why its such a betrayal, he lied to his own brother when David had the opportunity to stand against Brown.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Such despair in Labour. About Wednesday or Thursday would be the ideal time for the King over the Water to declare his candidacy.

And who would that be?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited May 2015
    EPG said:

Ed's got a lot to answer for hasn't he ( from Labour's viewpoint )? I doubt his brother could've done much about Scotland but I refuse to believe he wouldn't have restricted the Tories to 300 at the very least and probably would be PM with SNP support.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

When Labour does well, so do the LDs, the parties futures are coupled. Labour going heavy on the LDs did neither any good. The Tory gains from the LDs are why Cameron has a majority.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited May 2015
    Speedy said:

Well the SNP was out of his control.
    No. When Ed Miliband took over in 2010, the SNP had one more seat than Labour in Holyrood and was running a minority government.

Ed completely underestimated the problems in Scotland. He was the person who presided over catastrophe after catastrophe after catastrophe for Labour in Scotland. He carries the can. He is to blame.
  • Options
    Fox Kendall looks like a Deputy Leader, she does not look like a Leader whatever interesting things she has to say.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

I don't belong to any party. I'm a lawyer. If you wanted me to I could probably make a better leftie argument than poor old Ed - or McCluskey for that matter. All those hours spent at university understanding the finer points of Socialism and Communism will not have gone entirely to waste!!

• Options

No. When Ed Miliband took over in 2010, the SNP had one more seat than Labour in Holyrood and was running a minority government.

Ed completely underestimated the problems in Scotland. He was the person who presided over catastrophe after catastrophe after catastrophe for Labour in Scotland. He carries the can. He is to blame.

Nope, you can blame Miliband for anything but the rise of the SNP.
    In fact Miliband was more popular in scotland than scottish Labour.

And with that, goodnight.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

He told his brother not to stand against Brown (when Brown was clearly unelectable) and said he'd back his brother if he held off until after the election. David upheld his end of the deal only for Ed to betray David in the most bizarre bid ever. That is why its such a betrayal, he lied to his own brother when David had the opportunity to stand against Brown.
    Has that ever been confirmed? Even so, it seems to me to be at most a personal issue. David M is always being touted as some sort of political giant but he'd have to be bloody naive to think that a promise like that meant anything at all.

He didn't - for whatever reason - seize the moment. Ed did. Politics is brutal. Ruthlessness is essential for a leader. What game did David M think he was playing?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Fox Kendall looks like a Deputy Leader, she does not look like a Leader whatever interesting things she has to say.

Deputy leader is a career dead end. Better to be the person that gets turned to when it all goes pear shaped.

Liz is 43. If not now, then when?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

I don't doubt you, I was just teasing you on the usage of the word gazillions! :D
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2015
    O/T:

Just completed my general election results spreadsheet. I know others are already available but since I'd already started doing this one I decided to finish the job. Includes result for all 3,971 candidates:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dEU5dHJHUE9hWHZzS2ZaR0V0a080T0E&usp=sheets_web#gid=0

• Options
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

I don't doubt you, I was just teasing you on the usage of the word gazillions! :D
    A few billions here, a few billions there. Pretty soon it starts to amount to serious money!

We should take bets on the date by when a terraced house in Kilburn is worth a gazillion. Can't be that long now......

Goodnight all.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2015
    Labour's problem is that you can "argue" the merits of every candidate.. the difficulty is that you cannot imagine any of them being PM and representing our Country.
    The last time Labour elected someone we ended up with the hapless Ed Miliband and before that the bonkers and really nasty Gordon Brown who did more damage to the up and coming in the Labour party than is generally realised.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Sometimes I wonder if I simply have too much imagination, as I never have any problem imagining as PM any politician putting themselves forward as a leadership candidate. I imagine many of them to be pretty crap PMs, but I don't have trouble seeing them get there, somehow.

Good night all.
  • Options
    Fox Well maybe, but whatever her personal ambitions Kendall does not look like a leader now or ever, what she looks like is a reasonably competent deputy, not the one actually running the show
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    That's it, then. It's all over. Mike's table makes it crystal-clear that it is Andy's turn, what with David skidalling off to New York and Ed B coming an unfortunate cropper at the hands of the good citizens of Morley & Outwood.
  • Options
    SquareRoot Can you imagine Osborne, May, Javid or Boris as PM anymore than Burnham or Cooper? After all Cameron will not be running again and one of them probably will be
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SquareRoot Can you imagine Osborne, May, Javid or Boris as PM anymore than Burnham or Cooper? After all Cameron will not be running again and one of them probably will be

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    tyson said:

Ed took the party on the journey it wanted to go on. It's not his fault that Labour elected him (unless you don't think he should have stood, for which there is an argument).

However, while DM was clearly superior in leadership ability and electability in Middle England, Labour's Scotterdamerung would still have happened and the hollowing out of Labour would have been worse. The unions may have been at war with DM. While he would have trodden a different path, there's no guarantee it would have been a more successful one.

There's a reason that parties who lose office rarely come back at the first time of asking, particularly if they've been in power for a long time before losing office. It's that they're not ready to confront the reasons they lost. That goes a long way to explain why Ed won in the first place but even if he'd lost - and he nearly did - DM would have been leading his party against its instincts which is always a recipe for trouble. Siren voices would have been pointing to Greens, SNP and even UKIP and asking why he was aping the Tories and letting the core go.

Put simply, Ed was the symptom not the cause.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    HYUFD said:

Fox Well maybe, but whatever her personal ambitions Kendall does not look like a leader now or ever, what she looks like is a reasonably competent deputy, not the one actually running the show

If you can lead then you look like a leader. Don't judge leadership on style over substance.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.
    Yes, yes, yes, yes (Burnham), No (Cooper)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    AndyJS - good work, thank you. I will enjoy having a play with that.

It should be possible, based on 2010 data, to be able to tabulate things like biggest LAB improvements (all on Merseyside and adjacent constituencies, I would guess), biggest Lab to Con swings, most disastrous Lib De performances, etc. There is some 2010 data here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AonYZs4MzlZbdGRMdXRfZ08wcW9fQzBKZXZJeG5aMmc#gid=1 - not sure why the Guardian didn't do a 2015 equivalent) - not in the same format unfortunately, but shouldn't be beyond the wit of spreadsheets and access to wrestle into a usable format. I intend to have a go when I get a moment...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I could see all of them making a better fist of it than anything Labour have to offer, if pushed I would chose May.

, I couldn't imagine ED or David Miliband as LOTO, both were seriously flawed. David because Mandleson had to rescue him after the foreign visit fiasco, and Ed because he was even more of a dork than his brother

Mascara man.. naaah. Yvette was anonymous for 5 yrs who should anyone thing she was suddenly the answer.. Kendal looks pleasant and is probably the best candidate, but wont be chosen

Labour have to be careful who thewy pick as they are too cowardly to knife their own leaders, Tories have no such qualms.,

Blair is the only Labour leader I could see as PM,
  • Options
    Incidentally, Matt is sheer genius tonight:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

Reminds me of the old joke about Dubya. He's giving a White House tour to a group from the Brazilian Embassy.

Suddenly an aide runs up and says excitedly "Mr President, we've lost a Brazilian!"

Dubya looks at him and says "Gee whizz, how much is that?" :)
  • Options

Your final word is superfluous.
  • Options

True
  • Options
    WilliamGlenn You either look like a leader or you don't, Kendall has no more leadership qualities than half the parliamentary Labour Party
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    HYUFD said:

WilliamGlenn You either look like a leader or you don't, Kendall has no more leadership qualities than half the parliamentary Labour Party

Is that the half with or without leadership qualities?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    SquareRoot/RN/Pulpstar Personally I could see Burnham or Cooper or May as PM, Osborne could be for a year or 2 but I could never see him winning an election. Boris is too ill-disciplined and I could see neither Javid nor Kendal in the role, both are reasonably competent middle ranking Ministers, not PM material
  • Options

RN you know the answer to these sorts of questions.. May was Home sec right thro the last parliament, when was the last time a Home Sec lasted the life of a Parliament..>???
  • Options

Labour's problem is that you can "argue" the merits of every candidate.. the difficulty is that you cannot imagine any of them being PM and representing our Country.
    The last time Labour elected someone we ended up with the hapless Ed Miliband and before that the bonkers and really nasty Gordon Brown who did more damage to the up and coming in the Labour party than is generally realised.

Only two Labour leaders have won an election in the last 60 years. They've had ten in that time. The Tories have also had ten leaders in the same period, of whom six were winners.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Labour's problem is that all the best left of centre potential leaders are in parties that are not Labour...

One of those parties is doing rather better, and one rather worse than Labour right now though...
  • Options

I'm using Chrome on Windows 8.1, and on my laptop the final word is 'tonight' ;-)
  • Options

RN you know the answer to these sorts of questions.. May was Home sec right thro the last parliament, when was the last time a Home Sec lasted the life of a Parliament..>???
    Jack Straw?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Willie Whitelaw?

To be fair, though, we shouldn't get distracted by the continual games of ministerial musical chairs under Blair. His governments were uniquely dysfunctional in terms of the short half-life of ministers. Many Home Secs prior to Blair lasted at least three or four years.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I'm using Chrome on Windows 8.1, and on my laptop the final word is 'tonight' ;-)
    superb
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Very droll.
  • Options

Jack Straw?

Oops yes, I forgot about him. Easily done, of course.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Very droll.
    I do agree with your point however!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If she can win this process from her starting position she'll already have demonstrated more leadership qualities than anyone taking over the party in the last 20 years.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    tyson said:

It's almost as if you are saying ed was crap....
  • Options

If she can win this process from her starting position she'll already have demonstrated more leadership qualities than anyone taking over the party in the last 20 years.

.. other than Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Late on as busy, presume the news of Dan jarvis backing Burnham tonight has meant he's strong fave now?
  • Options

.. other than Ed Miliband.

Well I wouldn't say he won through a feat of leadership...

• Options
    Conversely, if Liz Kendall can't bribe, blackmail, cajole, persuade, dazzle, or otherwise manage to get a good chunk of her fellow Labour MPs to back her, how is she going to run the party?
  • Options

Jack Straw?

Oops yes, I forgot about him. Easily done, of course.
    THe list here but I cant remember GE actual dates.. but there were some long term occupants..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Secretary#Home_Secretaries.2C_2001.E2.80.93present
  • Options

Well I wouldn't say he won through a feat of leadership...

In a way he did. He was ruthless, self-confident, cynical, ran a crafty campaign, told his audience what they wanted to hear, and generally did what you need to do to grab the crown. Admittedly he didn't seem to have any clue what to do next.
  • Options
    David Herdson Attlee won 2 elections, Wilson 4, Blair 3. Of the Tories only Thatcher and Cameron have won more than 1 election in the past 60 years, indeed Heath won one, but lost 3
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Why do we still think Ed is Crap? Ed is most definitely NOT Crap!

He won more seats for Labour than Foot did in 1983, or Kinnock did in 1987!
  • Options
    William Glenn Well as I can assure you she won't that will not really be an issue, best she can hope for is third
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Conversely, if Liz Kendall can't bribe, blackmail, cajole, persuade, dazzle, or otherwise manage to get a good chunk of her fellow Labour MPs to back her, how is she going to run the party?

Exactly - the nomination criterion is there for a reason.

The fact that there aren't 35 Labour MPs prepared to go for Kendall is perhaps worrying in itself; but Unite have made that bed and now the PLP must lie in it.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited May 2015

There's a reason that parties who lose office rarely come back at the first time of asking, particularly if they've been in power for a long time before losing office. It's that they're not ready to confront the reasons they lost. That goes a long way to explain why Ed won in the first place but even if he'd lost - and he nearly did - DM would have been leading his party against its instincts which is always a recipe for trouble. Siren voices would have been pointing to Greens, SNP and even UKIP and asking why he was aping the Tories and letting the core go.

But you can afford to lose a lot of core.

The point is that GEs are decided on the basis of seats, not votes.

Look at the last 5 GEs - Blair and Cameron both annoyed their cores an awful lot - and lost a lot of core voters - but they maximised their potential seats by doing so.

Neither of them lost any "core seats" at all (OK - Cameron lost one - Clacton) but their positioning was optimal as far as maximising seats was concerned - because they attracted the key swing voters in marginal seats.

Which is why David M would have done much better than Ed.

And it is also why Burnham is not the man to maximise Lab seats. Forget whatever policies he proposes - they won't matter at all - he will be perceived as coming from Labour's core and this will be reinforced by him being favoured by the Unions.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

In a way he did. He was ruthless, self-confident, cynical, ran a crafty campaign, told his audience what they wanted to hear, and generally did what you need to do to grab the crown. Admittedly he didn't seem to have any clue what to do next.

Gordo. Or Ed?
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Just checked up on something that I'd meant to check for a while:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_2015_(Scotland)

I make the total votes cast in Scotland a week last Thursday 2,911,465 rather than the 2,910,465 quoted in the Wiki article, which gives an SNP vote percentage of 1,454,436 / 2,911465 = 49.955% - on my calculations they would have needed 1,297 of the votes cast for all other parties in their direction in order to have got over the 50% - I rather thought that was the case given that nobody had made anything of the SNP gaining an absolute majority over all other parties in terms of votes cast.

It would have been great fun (and a great disappointment as well) if the referendum result had been that tight back last September!
  • Options
    edited May 2015

The fact that there aren't 35 Labour MPs prepared to go for Kendall is perhaps worrying in itself; but Unite have made that bed and now the PLP must lie in it.

It may not be worrying in itself. Maybe she's actually not good enough. She's getting a good press at the moment because she seems to be saying some very sensible things, but that's not enough. Is she tough enough? Does she inspire loyalty? Is she ruthless enough? Can she think on her feet under extreme pressure? Would colleagues who are more senior than her accept her authority?

The answer to these questions might be yes, I don't know. But politics is a tough and very difficult game, and saying some sensible things may be a necessary, but is not a sufficient, qualification. Maybe her fellow MPs are unconvinced? She is, after all, not very experienced.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Gordo. Or Ed?
    Both, actually, but I was talking about Ed.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    MikeL By 2005 though Blair was losing seats to his left to the LDs and Respect, post EU ref there is a danger a narrow In vote would leave Tory seats open to a SNP style post-referendum UKIP surge
  • Options
    edited May 2015

The fact that there aren't 35 Labour MPs prepared to go for Kendall is perhaps worrying in itself

Is that a fact?

https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/600311821556383744
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Ranked share of the vote for Con, Lab, LD, UKIP, Greens, SNP, PC. (Click on sheets at the bottom to toggle between them):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/159YuDClzywqEGU1wAmBQrlq-YSngarQNNrMWdZVyyLk/edit#gid=0
This discussion has been closed.