Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The real answer to the “shy Tories” phenomenon is Boris

13»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

So Ukip aren't taking any of the short money!

Farage spiting Carswell. Childish.

"If I can't control all the Short money, you're not having any of it. Ner ner nee ner nah".
    Sorry it's hard for us kippers to hear you up here on this moral high ground
    Moral high ground? having a laugh, surely? Didn't UKIP want to take all of the short money, and Carswell refused?
    Carswell wanted 300k, but our leader has said we won't take from the public purse like all the other grubby parties #notliketherest
    Hm, sounds pretty revisionist to me :D
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    isam said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

"If I can't control all the Short money, you're not having any of it. Ner ner nee ner nah".
    I thought that would be because it was so crowded up there. No? Oh...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    RobD said:

isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

Moral high ground? having a laugh, surely? Didn't UKIP want to take all of the short money, and Carswell refused?
    Carswell wanted 300k, but our leader has said we won't take from the public purse like all the other grubby parties #notliketherest
    Hm, sounds pretty revisionist to me :D
    Being part of this Ukip movement is the closest one has felt to moral purity!

I feel like I have detoxed for a month and drunk a gallon of fresh mountain water when all I did was listen to St Nigel speak on the beeb
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,289
    Twitter
    Stig Abell @StigAbell · 3h 3 hours ago
    Apparently Nigel Farage tried and tried to get out of Question Time, but they refused to accept his decision. What could he do?

GIN1138 said:

Farage on the hook and wriggling, wriggling, wriggling...

In any other party he'd been an entirely busted flush... But in UKIP... He may just get away with it.

To be fair he has a bit of guts to turn up tonight...
    Well said Richard Nabavi and Charles, ScottP and his tweets are an asset to the site.

isam said:

Genuine question. Must people interested in politics, ie people that post on here, are on twitter and will be following political news. Why do you post them on here as if it's some kind of scoop or a service you are providing?

Scott's posts are very useful. They save having to trawl though Twitter as well as PB.
    Charles said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

@jerryhayes1: Farage is a dead man walking on BBCQT mojo lost

@iainmartin1: Peak Farage. He's had it. @bbcquestiontime

Good lord... Suzanne Evans is v nice but as a replacement for Farage? Ludicrous

Genuine question. Must people interested in politics, ie people that post on here, are on twitter and will be following political news. Why do you post them on here as if it's some kind of scoop or a service you are providing?
    I'm not on twitter. I find @Scott_P's posts helpful
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,286
    Nigel won't win it for "Out"

A Frank Field-Dan Hannan-Phil Hammond cross party effort backed up by Murdoch, D'Acre, UKIP and the Barclay Brothers might though.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Gary Elsby for Stoke-on-Trent: All else is a mockery....

:triumph:
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Pulpstar said:

A Frank Field-Dan Hannan-Phil Hammond cross party effort backed up by Murdoch, D'Acre, UKIP and the Barclay Brothers might though.

I'm looking forward to Sturgeon campaigning on the same side as Cameron.
  • Options
    handandmousehandandmouse Posts: 213
    Betting question: Having profited on Betfair from Mary Creagh's announcement today I just put some of the money on a couple of other long-shots, including Angela Eagle at 999/1.

My question is, who on earth is laying these huge odds? Who would risk nearly ten grand to win a tenner? It clearly didn't pay off in the case of MC! While Eagle running is unlikely (she's more likely to go for deputy), as far as I can tell it hasn't been ruled out.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It is doubtful that Cameron will allow members of the Cabinet to campaign for "Out".
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,286

Betting question: Having profited on Betfair from Mary Creagh's announcement today I just put some of the money on a couple of other long-shots, including Angela Eagle at 999/1.

My question is, who on earth is laying these huge odds? Who would risk nearly ten grand to win a tenner? It clearly didn't pay off in the case of MC! While Eagle running is unlikely (she's more likely to go for deputy), as far as I can tell it hasn't been ruled out.

No idea who is laying at 1000-1, I laid off £2 @ 939 on Lab Majority at about 2 in the morning but that was err different.

Laying sub 1000 is different, but 1000.0 is an odd price to lay anyone at.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    Pulpstar said:

QT Scores:

Hunt 9 - Very composed
    Farage N 7 - Handled a tricky QT well
    Mentoes 7 - Did fine.
    May 5 - Better at the guitar than being a politico
    Hunt 2 - Oh Dear.

Which hunt is which? :lol:
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

I don't know how many pb-ers have been to Palmyra, in Syria, but I have. It is one of the haunting and extraordinary survivals of human culture, a Persio-Roman city in the desert, complete with glorious pillared roads, and an entire Temple of Baal. I've been around the world and seen many great sites, but Palmyra is one of the loftiest.

And now ISIS are close to devouring it, and they will, inevitably, destroy it. That's like bombing Oxford into dust, or levelling Angkor Wat.

ISIS is a snake, close to the heart of what it means to be human. We need to get our fucking shit together, and kill them.

Dead right. They and their poisonous ideology need to be wiped out. Truly evil. Utter defeat of them is needed. Then we can worry about education of the women. Christianity is about to be wiped out in its homeland and if it is there is no hope for any sort of moderate Islam in the Middle East or anywhere else. The persecuted Christians of Iraq and Syria and Egypt should be welcomed here with open arms if we cannot protect them in their homes.

One of my regrets is that I did not go to Syria a few years ago. I was set to but then work intervened. Even if some form of peace comes it will never again be the place it was.
    I'm glad I went to Egypt in January 2003. That was just two months before Iraq kicked off!

I managed to see Cairo, Giza, Luxor, the Valley of the Kings and Dendera. Also my first holiday with a digital camera :)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2015
    My guess for the EU referendum is 55% in, 45% out. No major differences in the result in England, Wales, Scotland, NI.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,396
    isam said:

isam said:

@richard_tyndall

'4 million is 9% of the registered vote.That leaves you needing another 42% to win a referendum.

I am afraid that in terms of leaving the EU your 4 million UKIP voters is a meaningless number. What we need is someone who can persuade the other 19.5 million voters to get a majority.'
    Come off it Richard you don't need to start playing silly buggers w numbers over this. We all know the referendum isn't going to have a 100% turn out.

Getting silly now, and we aren't going to agree. All I am saying to all Ukip supporters is careful what you wish for
    So don't go on 100% turnout. Go on what we got at this election which is 66.1% turnout. That is just over 28 million people of whom 4 million voted for UKIP. So tell me how a marmite politician like Farage is going to get those other 10 million votes we need? And of course the turnout for the referendum will be considerably higher than the GE so I am being kind to you.

Farage actively drives people away from Euroscepticism. If he is running UKIP in 2017 we do not have a cat in hells chance of winning the referendum.
    He has long ago said he wouldn't be fronting the out campaign as he recognised he divides opinion. Honestly let it go he's not all bad

You're not drinking special brew on an oil rig or something are you?

Like he said he would quit if he didn't win his seat. Sad to see you defending his duplicity.

Oh and oil rigs are dry.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,783

Pulpstar said:

It is doubtful that Cameron will allow members of the Cabinet to campaign for "Out".
    I don't believe Hammond is a genuine BOOer; I think he was positioning himself for a Tory leadership battle that never came.
  • Options
    You have to be joking?! Farage didn't deliver an EU Referendum, he couldn't even deliver himself as an elected member to this Parliament last Thursday!! It was David Cameron and the Conservative party who pledged a Referendum in this Parliament, and its a Conservative Government that will deliver it.
    isam said:

I have no idea if the rules allow it but if they do then there should be a coup against Farage and he should be replaced as UKIP leader. Even if they lose one or two of their financial backers there will be more along to support them and if they can prove themselves and make a complete break from the Farage era then they may well win back some of the supporters and senior members who were driven out by Farage.

If they don't then they will drift and the referendum will be lost because the Out side will be fatally fractured.

Jesus Richard if you'd had your way they would still be on about 4% talkiing to each other about eu technicalities. You should be grateful to Farage for getting your referendum, it wouldn't be happening without him
  • Options
    fitalass said:

You have to be joking?! Farage didn't deliver an EU Referendum, he couldn't even deliver himself as an elected member to this Parliament last Thursday!! It was David Cameron and the Conservative party who pledged a Referendum in this Parliament, and its a Conservative Government that will deliver it.

Cameron was dragged kicking and screaming to his promise of a referendum. The rise of UKIP cannot will not be discounted when historians seek an explanation for his Damascene conversion.
  • Options
    Richard, this is first and foremost a betting site, and twitter right now is about the most instant and up to date delivery of not just UK political news, but also global events. It is extremely informative on a wide range of issues, often breaking the news in advance of our current 24 hour rolling news outlets such as the BBC and Skynews. Your idea of vacuous comments that are normally expressed in 140 characters or less could end up being extremely lucrative as well as informative to others. Your attempt to dismiss twitter as a fast and effective way to deliver political news and commentary simple indicates that you are reluctant to engage with an up to date source of political news and gossip.

isam said:

Scott_P said:

I am not on Twitter. I have no interest in the sort of vacuous comments that are normally expressed in 140 characters or less.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    fitalass said:

Richard, this is first and foremost a betting site, and twitter right now is about the most instant and up to date delivery of not just UK political news, but also global events. It is extremely informative on a wide range of issues, often breaking the news in advance of our current 24 hour rolling news outlets such as the BBC and Skynews. Your idea of vacuous comments that are normally expressed in 140 characters or less could end up being extremely lucrative as well as informative to others. Your attempt to dismiss twitter as a fast and effective way to deliver political news and commentary simple indicates that you are reluctant to engage with an up to date source of political news and gossip.

isam said:

Scott_P said:

I am not on Twitter. I have no interest in the sort of vacuous comments that are normally expressed in 140 characters or less.
    I'm not on Twitter as when I have been it's full of spam and fluff. Not sure how to sort the wheat from the chaff there. So I enjoy seeing the interesting tweets etc that some people choose to post here. For me filtering the relevant stuff onto here serves a purpose.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

fitalass said:

Cameron was dragged kicking and screaming to his promise of a referendum. The rise of UKIP cannot will not be discounted when historians seek an explanation for his Damascene conversion.
    By his own backbenchers not UKIP.
  • Options
    I thought that Jeremy Hunt was extremely impressive last night on BBC QuestionTime, been one of my Tory Leadership contenders to watch in recent years. As for Brian May, you are being too kind.
    Pulpstar said:

QT Scores:

Hunt 9 - Very composed
    Farage N 7 - Handled a tricky QT well
    Mentoes 7 - Did fine.
    May 5 - Better at the guitar than being a politico
    Hunt 2 - Oh Dear.

This discussion has been closed.