Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My podcast with Keiran Pedley of Polling Matters + latest Y

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My podcast with Keiran Pedley of Polling Matters + latest YouGov has LAB back in the lead

Yesterday I recorded a podcast with the excellent Keiran Pedley, the professional pollster who runs the Polling Matters website. We covered a lot of issues that are very familiar to PB regulars including comparing betting markets to opinion polls, Lord Ashcroft and regional polling, Scotland and the future of the Liberal Democrats after the election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,458
    edited April 2015
    On Monday, Keiran "favourited" on Twitter my ELBOW analysis of YG and non-YG polls :)

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/592419947663491072
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Three posts in and so far no sign of hysterical pb Hodgeses warning us Russell Brand's endorsement is a disaster for Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    Great podcast, very informative!
  • Options

Three posts in and so far no sign of hysterical pb Hodgeses warning us Russell Brand's endorsement is a disaster for Ed Miliband.

"Tonight's YG is a disaster for Ed Miliband?"
    :lol:
  • Options
    Two of the front pages are interesting amidst the predictably partisan. The Guardian has chosen the most unflattering picture of Ed Miliband, and the Mail gives huge prominence to claims the government has killed 6,000 people by undermining an anti-salt campaign. Surely they can't all have been Labour voters!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-32508003
  • Options
    @Sunil is right about the podcast.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Presenting DISASTER (Danny's Inexplicably Shit Attempt at Simulating The Election Result)

Starting with predictions of Lib Dem seats

LIB DEM HOLDS (17)
    Sutton & Cheam, Eastbourne, Eastleigh, Carshalton & Wallington, Berwickshire, Cambridge, Southport, Thornbury & Yate, Colchester, Lewes, Caithness, Twickenham, Ceredigion, North Norfolk, Westmorland & Lonsdale, Sheffield Hallam (narrowly), Orkney & Shetland

LABOUR GAINS FROM LIB DEMS (12)
    Norwich South, Bradford East, Brent Central, Manchester Withington, Burnley, Birmingham Yardley, Redcar, Hornsey & Wood Green, Cardiff Central, Bermondsey, Bristol West, Leeds North West

TORY GAINS FROM LIB DEMS (20)
    Solihull, Mid Dorset, Wells, St Austell & Newquay, Somerton & Frome, St Ives, Chippenham, Cheadle, North Cornwall, Taunton Deane, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Torbay, Cheltenham, Brecon & Radnorshire, North Devon, Portsmouth South, Kingston & Surbiton, Hazel Grove, Yeovil, Bath

SNP GAINS FROM LIB DEMS (8)
    East Dunbartonshire, Argyll & Bute, Aberdeenshire West, Edinburgh West, Gordon, Inverness, North East Fife, Ross Skye & Lochaber
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912
    Off to Knossos today! Going home at last!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2015
    Danny565: personally I don't think the LDs will lose Yardley, Bermondsey, Leeds NW, Cheadle, North Cornwall, Torbay, Cheltenham, Brecon, Kingston, Hazel Grove, Yeovil, Bath.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AndyJS said:

Danny565: personally I don't think the LDs will lose Yardley, Bermondsey, Leeds NW, Cheadle, North Cornwall, Torbay, Cheltenham, Brecon, Kingston, Hazel Grove, Yeovil, Bath.

I think they will hold some of these too, but am not convinced that they will hold all of Danny's 17.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    On the podcast it was interesting to hear how PoliticalBetting got started.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    AndyJS said:

We Blues are certainly working Torbay hard. There will be 50+ volunteers turning up today, for example. That is a lot of face-to-face contacts.

Also hearing the LibDems are not confident. There are a forest of Green posters in their better areas - and UKIP are working the same areas hard too.

Yeovil would be a shock - but the Tories are putting some big guns in there, so CCHQ think it is in play.

Cheltenham will test my theory that towns who have football teams that get relegated in election years do particularly badly for the incumbents - and vice versa for those who get promoted.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Moving average chart of the 100 most recent YouGov polls. YouGov's methology changed at data point number 79 and took 5 days to fully impact upon the moving average. Click to enlarge...

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
  • Options
    madmacsmadmacs Posts: 75
    I know Cheltenham well. Lib Dems have won most votes in local elections for past few years, Ashcroft poll has LDs well ahead. LD hold
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited April 2015
    A very insightful podcast, thanks Mike.

Good points especially on regional polling, it seems there is some discrepancy between for example the Ashcroft marginal polls vs extrapolating national polls into seats. Swings in London and especially Scotland will be very different from the national picture.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,401
    I would be very surprised if the Lib Dems held Berwickshire. For me I think it is a question of whether the Tories or the SNP take it.

What I think Danny does show is that there damn few safe Lib Dem seats. A lot are in play however they shake down.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

We Blues are certainly working Torbay hard. There will be 50+ volunteers turning up today, for example. That is a lot of face-to-face contacts.

Also hearing the LibDems are not confident. There are a forest of Green posters in their better areas - and UKIP are working the same areas hard too.

Yeovil would be a shock - but the Tories are putting some big guns in there, so CCHQ think it is in play.

Cheltenham will test my theory that towns who have football teams that get relegated in election years do particularly badly for the incumbents - and vice versa for those who get promoted.
    Lab lose Sunderland is going to be the shock of the night then?!?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Possibly all in shock that their dear leader is copying the Labour trend of proposing completely pointless laws on policy (to outlaw tax rises). Politics is shit. We're treated like a bunch of idiots.
  • Options
    We had a largish Labour canvassing team in Dundee West last night. Unfortunately I was out but my wife reported that their starting point was "have you ever thought about tactical voting?" They are clearly going after no voters who want anyone but the SNP. And Mike is right the Unionist community does feel threatened.

Labour have not given up here. I don't think they have a chance but to my recollection they have not canvassed our village before. Jenny Marra has woken up the previously dead organisation and got them moving. Its interesting.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I said towns. As any fule kno, Sunderland is a city....
  • Options
    madmacs said:

I know Cheltenham well. Lib Dems have won most votes in local elections for past few years, Ashcroft poll has LDs well ahead. LD hold

Cheltenham is one of those Ashcroft polls where there is a huge disparity between "how would you vote if there was a general election tomorrow?" and "How would you vote IN THIS SEAT..." I still haven't quite got my head round how that subtle distinction provokes such divergent responses.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Anyone with thoughts on Warkwick and Leamington ?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I said towns. As any fule kno, Sunderland is a city....
    Just teasing! It is an interesting theory. Certainly Leicester is a more optomistic place over the last couple of weeks. Some work to be done still, and Hull seem to be reviving too.

• Options
    In contrast I was speaking to one of my instructing agents yesterday whose partner is very active in the SNP. She was genuinely shocked that I was a Tory voter because I was "so normal". She seemed to have this caricature of a Tory that bears no relationship to reality. When I hear Nicola Sturgeon and read many of the comments from our Nat friends on here she is clearly not alone.

In part the SNP have inherited this from the SLAB who have demonised Tory supporters so successfully for so long to their advantage. It is a pretty strange way to treat 480K of their fellow citizens.

Anyway she was indicating that the SNP are increasingly confident in Edinburgh South which I had thought was one of the seats Labour might hang onto.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pretty sure someone posted here in the last day or so that Labour appear to have given up on it. Bit surprising as there was an 18% LibDem vote in 2010 for Labour to squeeze.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    DavidL said:

In contrast I was speaking to one of my instructing agents yesterday whose partner is very active in the SNP. She was genuinely shocked that I was a Tory voter because I was "so normal". She seemed to have this caricature of a Tory that bears no relationship to reality. When I hear Nicola Sturgeon and read many of the comments from our Nat friends on here she is clearly not alone.

In part the SNP have inherited this from the SLAB who have demonised Tory supporters so successfully for so long to their advantage. It is a pretty strange way to treat 480K of their fellow citizens.

Anyway she was indicating that the SNP are increasingly confident in Edinburgh South which I had thought was one of the seats Labour might hang onto.

SLAB did the SNP's work for them for two decades and now look horribly out of place as the SNP steal their clothes.
  • Options
    I notice that the Sporting Index has slipped the gap between the big 2 parties back up to 15, presumably on the back of the better Tory polling on Monday. If their central numbers are right forming any kind of a government is going to be a nightmare.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    TGOHF said:

Con hold, according to Lord Ashcroft.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

In terms of demonisation, SLAB sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind.
  • Options

DavidL said:

SLAB did the SNP's work for them for two decades and now look horribly out of place as the SNP steal their clothes.
    I think Alan that SLABs problem was that the demonisation policy was so successful that SLAB did not bother to do anything else. It worked very well until people had a non tory choice but when that choice arose they really didn't know what to do. Other than opposing the Tories they had forgotten what they were actually for. And now they are paying the price.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

Con hold, according to Lord Ashcroft.

And me, a resident in said constituency. There is almost no activity here, which strongly suggests to me everyone has tacitly recognised there will be no change. We have received no election literature of any kind for close to a fortnight now, after getting a lot at the start of the campaign.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Great podcast, very informative!

Thanks for that Sunil and to others on the thread. Keiran Pedley has done a good job developing this and his other discussions are well worth listening to.

I enjoy this as a format.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think Alan that SLABs problem was that the demonisation policy was so successful that SLAB did not bother to do anything else. It worked very well until people had a non tory choice but when that choice arose they really didn't know what to do. Other than opposing the Tories they had forgotten what they were actually for. And now they are paying the price.

Spot on. Labour took Scotland for granted and are gong to pay a massive price - deservedly so, I might add.

But there is also something happening beyond that in Scotland. The worship of St Nicola is extraordinary, the lack of scrutiny of SNP claims bizarre. There is a religiosity about it all. But that may come as a result of feeling ignored and essentially disdained by the Westminster elite for so long. In that, the Scots feel pretty much the same as voters elsewhere in the UK - it's just that they have someone to vote for to express that. At some stage, though, it is all going to come crashing down. The key thing is whether that is before or after independence. If it is afterwards, it could be very nasty indeed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Meanwhile across the North Channel the locals think a DUP\Labour deal is as likely as a DUP\Conservative one.

http://sluggerotoole.com/2015/04/28/why-the-dup-is-genuinely-open-for-political-business-with-an-incoming-labour-administration/
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903
    edited April 2015
    Mike. Enjoyed the podcast.

Congratulations on PB's 3rd General Election!

(And to all those who have been here for all three)

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Spot on. Labour took Scotland for granted and are gong to pay a massive price - deservedly so, I might add.

But there is also something happening beyond that in Scotland. The worship of St Nicola is extraordinary, the lack of scrutiny of SNP claims bizarre. There is a religiosity about it all. But that may come as a result of feeling ignored and essentially disdained by the Westminster elite for so long. In that, the Scots feel pretty much the same as voters elsewhere in the UK - it's just that they have someone to vote for to express that. At some stage, though, it is all going to come crashing down. The key thing is whether that is before or after independence. If it is afterwards, it could be very nasty indeed.
    I don't think anyone would dispute that Nicola has played a remarkable role in this campaign for someone who is not even a candidate. The only time she looked seriously disconcerted was in the Aberdeen debate when faced with the frightening implications of Full Fiscal Autonomy and the devastation that would cause to Scottish public services.

I think a part of the reason is that so much of the traditional territory of elections, health and education, is no longer a part of Westminster elections in any direct way so there has been even less focus on policy in Scotland than there has been in England. It has also made it more difficult to hold the SNP to account for many of their poor decisions.
  • Options
    If my football promotion/relegation thingy has any validity, then incumbents should get a bit of a boost from civic pride in Watford and Burton. Being in the play-offs should boost Ipswich, Norwich, Milton Keynes and Swindon.

Getting a poorer result would be the LibDems in Yeovil, Colchester, Cheltenham, Burnley and Bermondsey (Millwall) and the Tories in Blackpool and Crawley.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

TGOHF said:

Pretty sure someone posted here in the last day or so that Labour appear to have given up on it. Bit surprising as there was an 18% LibDem vote in 2010 for Labour to squeeze.
    This seat typifies the problem with Labour's campaign, in fact all campaigns. All parties seem to have no offer for the swing / central voter outside their core vote policies. Labour say don't vote Tory or the they will privAtise the nhs. Anyone with half a brain will think we'll that didn't happen in the last five years. Tories message is don't let Labour wreck the economy like they did before, but there is no appreciation in the general public that we would have ended up with significant problems anyway with the deficits Labour was running.

So where you have an economically literate and intelligent population then Labour will struggle but having grown up in the North West I think the Labour approach will be very effective there.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I notice that the Sporting Index has slipped the gap between the big 2 parties back up to 15, presumably on the back of the better Tory polling on Monday. If their central numbers are right forming any kind of a government is going to be a nightmare.

With every day closer we get to the election, it's looking more and more like the nightmare scenario of no obvious coalition having the numbers in Parliament.

I know that politicians say there's no such thing as a good election to lose but I can't see anyone wanting to have to cobble together 3 or 4 parties and still face defeat. It's going to be a very interesting few days and weeks ahead as the possibilities play out. FWIW I'm on the Grand Coalition - if only for a few months - on the basis that Labour know they'll face a backlash in England if they have anything to do with the SNP.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

TGOHF said:

Southam has called it for the blues. Which worries me slgihtly as I'm on the blues here. 4 pt lead on Ashcroft anyway + incumbency should see them home.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

If my football promotion/relegation thingy has any validity, then incumbents should get a bit of a boost from civic pride in Watford and Burton. Being in the play-offs should boost Ipswich, Norwich, Milton Keynes and Swindon.

Getting a poorer result would be the LibDems in Yeovil, Colchester, Cheltenham, Burnley and Bermondsey (Millwall) and the Tories in Blackpool and Crawley.

The writing has been on the wall for the entire season for Blackpool so it should be hard wired into any seat specific polling.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Meanwhile across the North Channel the locals think a DUP\Labour deal is as likely as a DUP\Conservative one.

http://sluggerotoole.com/2015/04/28/why-the-dup-is-genuinely-open-for-political-business-with-an-incoming-labour-administration/

Did you see the Dodds article in the Grauniad last week? Very scathing of the Tory attacks on the SNP and the threats he said it posed to the Union.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Is it smart of Miliband to reaffirm Labour as the benefits party?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32506490
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Are you returning to us soon or becoming a foreign correspondent?

Don't fly above 30k ft!
    Icarus said:

Off to Knossos today! Going home at last!

• Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

With every day closer we get to the election, it's looking more and more like the nightmare scenario of no obvious coalition having the numbers in Parliament.

I know that politicians say there's no such thing as a good election to lose but I can't see anyone wanting to have to cobble together 3 or 4 parties and still face defeat. It's going to be a very interesting few days and weeks ahead as the possibilities play out. FWIW I'm on the Grand Coalition - if only for a few months - on the basis that Labour know they'll face a backlash in England if they have anything to do with the SNP.
    I don't think a Grand Coalition is likely, but it can't be ruled out. They've certainly become popular in Europe, when centre-right and centre-left parties face insurgencies from their own side.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

madmacs said:

Cheltenham is one of those Ashcroft polls where there is a huge disparity between "how would you vote if there was a general election tomorrow?" and "How would you vote IN THIS SEAT..." I still haven't quite got my head round how that subtle distinction provokes such divergent responses.
    Cheltenham is one of those Ashcroft polls where there is a huge disparity between Q1` and Q2 and the consistent local election results over the last few years which show Lib Dem support increasing and Conservative support decreasing . The latter should help you get your head around your conundrum .
  • Options
    LD activity in Eastbourne has picked up but still only the odd street board giant triangle who are stalwarts. Few window posters.

I've seen many more at a local council election - it's really weird now we're almost in the last week.

I think the Tories are focusing on Lewes instead which surprises me out of the two. I've certainly had more invites to campaign there.

AndyJS said:

I think they will hold some of these too, but am not convinced that they will hold all of Danny's 17.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Did you see the Dodds article in the Grauniad last week? Very scathing of the Tory attacks on the SNP and the threats he said it posed to the Union.

He certainly won't work with the SNP mind.

But yes, Robinson echoed his views on the Radio. The Ed in Salmond's pocket poster is fair political game, the Salmond pickpocket poster an utter disgrace, up there with the Howard posters from 2005.
  • Options
    David

"In contrast I was speaking to one of my instructing agents yesterday whose partner is very active in the SNP. She was genuinely shocked that I was a Tory voter because I was "so normal". She seemed to have this caricature of a Tory that bears no relationship to reality."

I'm with the instructing agent! ' Only a sociopath could think it desirable for a government to help the better off at the expense of the least well off which to most people is the Tory view.

......And why? 'Because we're worth it'.
  • Options

madmacs said:

Cheltenham is one of those Ashcroft polls where there is a huge disparity between Q1` and Q2 and the consistent local election results over the last few years which show Lib Dem support increasing and Conservative support decreasing . The latter should help you get your head around your conundrum .
    Why do people answer "Conservative" when asked who they'll vote for then ?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes.

The DUP are more like traditional northern England or Scottish Labour with a dash of in your face kipperism thrown in.

Unionist Sinn Fein :-)
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

David

"In contrast I was speaking to one of my instructing agents yesterday whose partner is very active in the SNP. She was genuinely shocked that I was a Tory voter because I was "so normal". She seemed to have this caricature of a Tory that bears no relationship to reality."

I'm with the instructing agent! ' Only a sociopath could think it desirable for a government to help the better off at the expense of the least well off which to most people is the Tory view.

......And why? 'Because we're worth it'.

Social 'liberalism', mass immigration, an indiscriminate welfare state, crime and a weak economy harms the most vulnerable in society most of all. The moral bankruptcy of Labour can always be summarised by the daft idea of mega casinos.
  • Options
    I emailed a copy of the Red Box voting preference chart posted here yesterday to a Tory-hating lefty capitalist [yes] just for amusement.

He'll vote Labour though he despises EdM and think Labour are full of toffs too. We're good friends, but he was visibly taken aback when I told him I was a Tory nowadays. He waited until he was back at my front door before asking timidly if I was a MEMBER. I said yes because my conscience wouldn't forgive me for not doing everything I could to keep him out of Number 10.

I don't think he's quite recovered that I could be that EVIL. He'll be very surprised to see how many of his fellow colleagues in the NHS vote Tory too.

thetimes.co.uk/redbox/topic/red-box-the-voters
    DavidL said:

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Icarus, do fly safely and pay heed to the wise words of Miss Plato.

I'll probably listen to the podcast lately [I imagine I'd forget most of it if I listened now].
  • Options
    The Baltimore looting got me thinking about my old boss, working class Irish background, done well in the City. Cameron lost her with his lax response to the London mass crime spree, hug a hoody was a typical Cameron blunder.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Heard Ed Balls waffling and dissembling on ITV about 06.45, he was using scare tactics that the Cons would destroy tax credits, neglecting the obvious that savings can be made on the elimination of fraud and as earnings increase. Obviously he wants Labour's people to keep being dependent on the State.

Hear the Cons want to put into law that up to 2020, there will be no increase in VAT, Income tax and NI, but that the personal allowance will rise to £12,500 over that period.
  • Options
    Bad breakfast predicted for both Dave and Ed at Electionforecast.

280 seats with few mates for Dave and only 7 net gains + a Scottish near wipeout for Ed.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    FalseFlag said:

The Baltimore looting got me thinking about my old boss, working class Irish background, done well in the City. Cameron lost her with his lax response to the London mass crime spree, hug a hoody was a typical Cameron blunder.

David Cameron never said "hug a hoodie". That was one of Liam Byrne's better jokes.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

I don't think a Grand Coalition is likely, but it can't be ruled out. They've certainly become popular in Europe, when centre-right and centre-left parties face insurgencies from their own side.

The Michael Gove neocon element would love a coalition with the Labour Blairite element. Would kill the Conservative party and UKIP would displace them.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes.

The DUP are more like traditional northern England or Scottish Labour with a dash of in your face kipperism thrown in.

It did read like a Come and Get Me note to Labour.

If we did not have FPTP, a Callaghan/Healey style, socially conservative party would probably do pretty well in England.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

I'd say it's more likely than 33/1 though, more like 10/1 if the result is along the lines of Con280 Lab260 SNP55 LD20 OTH35. On those numbers everyone has 'lost' and there's almost no other option bar a second election unless one of the major parties abstains purely to keep the other in power until the 'right' time.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

The Michael Gove neocon element would love a coalition with the Labour Blairite element. Would kill the Conservative party and UKIP would displace them.
    Rubbish. The Blairites are dead and Gove is a Con loyalist.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

madmacs said:

The only rational answer to Q2 is "I have already told you by answering Q1, and you plainly don't understand the UK electoral system". Q2 switchers are therefore flaky and irrational. That doesn't stop them voting of course, but it does call into question whether they will vote at all, or as they have told a pollster they will vote, or whether they will actually answer Q1 or Q2 in the polling booth. In fact voters answer Q1 in general elections even if they answer Q2 at by and local elections. Sorry, but there it is.
  • Options
    What price would people go most votes in NI ?

Sinn Fein narrow favourites ?
  • Options
    Chris Hanretty's 2015 UK Parliamentary Election Forecast shows the Blue Team's lead narrowing to 10 seats this morning: Tory 280 vs Labour 270.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    False Flag

"Social 'liberalism', mass immigration, an indiscriminate welfare state, crime and a weak economy harms the most vulnerable in society most of all. The moral bankruptcy of Labour can always be summarised by the daft idea of mega casinos. "

That isn't the caracature most people have of Labour but even if it was it doesn't show a malevolence towards les autres the like of which we often see from Tories.

Who would want to stand up for the views of 'Financier' for example? Because he's most people's idea of an archetypal Tory.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

280 seats with few mates for Dave and only 7 net gains + a Scottish near wipeout for Ed.

That's where I think we're at right now. If there's a further shift to the Conservatives, then they may get up to 290, but I think that's as good as it gets.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    If you haven't seen this vintage BBC GE1992 coverage - it's brilliant. Everyone looks SO YOUNG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVsmEtOH50o#t=181
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

That's where I think we're at right now. If there's a further shift to the Conservatives, then they may get up to 290, but I think that's as good as it gets.
    "Everyone" has lost the election headline May 9th ;)
  • Options
    Will of the people - to see the Tories booted out and to pass Labour a Gov't so weak and potentially toxic it could destroy them within 18 months.
  • Options
    Roger said:

False Flag

"Social 'liberalism', mass immigration, an indiscriminate welfare state, crime and a weak economy harms the most vulnerable in society most of all. The moral bankruptcy of Labour can always be summarised by the daft idea of mega casinos. "

That isn't the caracature most people have of Labour but even if it was it doesn't show a malevolence towards les autres the like of which we often see from Tories.

Who would want to stand up for the views of 'Financier' for example? Because he's most people's idea of an archetypal Tory.

The general view of the Conservatives is that they're hard-hearted. The general view of Labour is that they're incompetent.
  • Options
    Roger said:

False Flag

I wouldn't disagree there is an element that is incapable of understanding those from less fortunate backgrounds, I have a few friends like that.
  • Options
    So are we going to see Dave on his soapbox in the next few days, or Ed at a Sheffield rally?
    Interesting to see the paper review actually going through the each story in detail with the text of the articles, rather than the current fashion of having a couple of talking heads using the headlines as a starting point for discussion.
    Plato said:

If you haven't seen this vintage BBC GE1992 coverage - it's brilliant. Everyone looks SO YOUNG!

• Options
    Mr. F, Agathocles of Syracuse enjoyed greater success than Honorius.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HARPENDEN POSTER WATCH

Drawing room curtains will be twitching this morning in an exclusive part of leafy Harpenden as a Green party poster has sprung up.

The consternation that this unprecedented and shocking revolutionary act will provoke is difficult to gauge. Needless to say I will be on top of this dynamic story as the electoral shockwaves and cultural implications are avidly discussed over ladies luncheons and cocktail parties in the coming days.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Spot on - that did make me chuckle too. Pithy or what. :smile:
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

False Flag

The general view of the Conservatives is that they're hard-hearted. The general view of Labour is that they're incompetent.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2015

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes.

It did read like a Come and Get Me note to Labour.

If we did not have FPTP, a Callaghan/Healey style, socially conservative party would probably do pretty well in England.

Would that be the same Denis "Socially Conservative" Healey who as Chancellor in 1974 increased the highest rate of Income Tax to 98%, declaring that he would squeeze the rich "until the pips squeaked" ?
    No thanks!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Chris Hanretty's 2015 UK Parliamentary Election Forecast shows the Blue Team's lead narrowing to 10 seats this morning: Tory 280 vs Labour 270.

That's my current prediction, what is the SNP figure?
  • Options
    Roger said:

False Flag

It seems to me that much of the malevolence directed at "les autres" comes from the left. On this very thread you describe Conservative voters as sociopaths.

The support of all parties contains a few unsavoury people. There is an arsehole element in every population, but generally people support the party they choose, believing it to be best for country. They may well be foolish, deluded or riding a hobbyhorse but rarely are they malevolent.

Any party supported by the amoral Alastair Campbell should not accuse others of harbouring sociopaths.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

False Flag

Careful Sean, that sounds awfully like a Cleggism.

• Options
    cleggycleggy Posts: 3
    LD activity in Eastbourne has picked up but still only the odd street board giant triangle who are stalwarts. Few window posters.

I've seen many more at a local council election - it's really weird now we're almost in the last week.

I think the Tories are focusing on Lewes instead which surprises me out of the two. I've certainly had more invites to campaign there.

Won't hold onto Caithness. Despite Thurso being mp since 2001 there and must have some personal vote, same could be said for Kennedy in Ross, and he will lose by some margin. Same will happen to Thurso I feel.
    LDs will win Lewes with a much reduced majority. Eastbourne may became LDs safest seat. Lloyd is very well liked and Ancell (Tory) not running a great campaign I feel. She has no links to Eastbourne, and her leaflet talks about the same proposals that Lloyd has been dealing with for the last few years, it won't win many voters over.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    FF What tosh..
  • Options
    Alistair said:

That's my current prediction, what is the SNP figure?
    SNP 47 seats, LibDems 27 seats.
  • Options
    Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Cleggy.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

False Flag

Careful Sean, that sounds awfully like a Cleggism.

As Sir Humphrey Appleby put it, it's better to be ruled by the heartless than the mindless.
  • Options
    Jack

"Drawing room curtains will be twitching this morning in an exclusive part of leafy Harpenden as a Green party poster has sprung up."

Fear not. You can assure your neigbours it'll be recycled at exactly 10.pm on the 7th May and a tree has already been planted
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Cleggy.

Whilst your regular warm welcome to newly published PBers is to be commended I think in the @cleggy gy case you should also have issued a warning concerning his lamentable derision of the good Viscount's chances in Caithness.

Such defeatism is liable to an immediate suspension from PB and a likely exile to ConHome for 14 days for a first offence.

• Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    DavidL

" the Unionist community does feel threatened. "

There isn't a unionist community in remotely the meaning of that word in Northern Ireland. Perhaps up to a third of the Scottish electorate are totally committed unionists who would never, ever vote Yes because emotionally they feel their country to be UK/Britain.

That however will prove not to be the basis for massive tactical voting, for example.

In Scotland, virtually ever extended family (and many immediate families) have different views on Scottish independence, with occasional movement back and forward within the Yes/No category. That I suspect is one of the reasons that demonising the SNP and cybernats isn't working as everybody knows one-or many :-)

Naturally I find it highly amusing that currently Kezia Dugdale (SLAB Deputy Leader) has her father tweeting very favourably for the SNP on twitter-not a surprise as he is a long time SNP member.
  • Options
    Harborough posterwatch:

A single solitary orange diamond looking forlorn in an Oadby garden. The LDs once thought that they could take the seat.

One field near the private school voting Conservative.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Just seen a snip of the Brand interview.... oh dear.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Pulpstar said:

madmacs said:

Why do people answer "Conservative to Q1 and "Lib Dem" to Q2 and vote Lib Dem in local elections ? Answer that and make a fortune on betting on constituency polls .
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Financier said:

Heard Ed Balls waffling and dissembling on ITV about 06.45, he was using scare tactics that the Cons would destroy tax credits, neglecting the obvious that savings can be made on the elimination of fraud and as earnings increase. Obviously he wants Labour's people to keep being dependent on the State.

Hear the Cons want to put into law that up to 2020, there will be no increase in VAT, Income tax and NI, but that the personal allowance will rise to £12,500 over that period.

Balls was no better on the Today program, not helped by useless interviewing from Humphreys. When mini-Brown can get away with word-play and obfuscation on the debt and deficit, with Humphreys completely out of his depth, you can fully understand how the master G Brown screwed over the public finances using his "golden rules" and laughable "prudency" without anyone noticing
  • Options
    Mr. W, I think Thurso went downhill when he abandoned the Melchitt moustache for a beard.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

madmacs said:

Cheltboy, once of this parish, enjoys my company annually during the local horseracing Festival.

He's plugged into the local political scene and reckons Cheltenham is a comfortable LD hold. The MP is hard-working and well liked.

He also thinks Labour will take Gloucester but personally I am more doubtful of that.
  • Options
    cleggy said:

Won't hold onto Caithness. Despite Thurso being mp since 2001 there and must have some personal vote, same could be said for Kennedy in Ross, and he will lose by some margin. Same will happen to Thurso I feel.
    LDs will win Lewes with a much reduced majority. Eastbourne may became LDs safest seat. Lloyd is very well liked and Ancell (Tory) not running a great campaign I feel. She has no links to Eastbourne, and her leaflet talks about the same proposals that Lloyd has been dealing with for the last few years, it won't win many voters over.

LDs (from what I have heard personally) seem reasonably confident in Eastbourne but not at all in Lewes. Greens appear to have taken a big bite out of NBs vote.
  • Options

Harborough posterwatch:

A single solitary orange diamond looking forlorn in an Oadby garden. The LDs once thought that they could take the seat.

One field near the private school voting Conservative.

Quite a bunch of Tory posters in Wardown Crescent, Luton South. But, this will be an easy Labour hold, as the Conservatives aren't putting any effort into winning it.

I counted 18 Tory posters to 8 Labour, in Winchmore Hill, Southgate, which is a surprisingly marginal ward.

I spotted a Labour canvass team in Finchley High Road, so they clearly think they can win there.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    DavidL said:

One thing you should have realised by now is that the SNP members think that they can never lose anything. They even believe that they won the referendum by increasing the share of the vote from 38% to 45% and that one more push will get them over the winning line.

Even in the face of reality, they insist that their view is the only one that can exist. Very religious, with the newly deified Nicola preaching to the converted, while all those who argue otherwise are apostate and to be literally burnt at the stake unless they recant.

Very scary for anyone who questions their "truths" and no, I am not exaggerating.

The answer you will get from MalcolmG, Dair and others (ad nauseum) on this site, implies that if you don't like it, leave.

Now think what it is actually like to live in Scotland today.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Jack

"Drawing room curtains will be twitching this morning in an exclusive part of leafy Harpenden as a Green party poster has sprung up."

Fear not. You can assure your neigbours it'll be recycled at exactly 10.pm on the 7th May and a tree has already been planted

That will be little comfort for the offending household as they are removed from Residents Summer Ball invites and face the humiliation of not having their grocery orders executed by Fortnum and Harrods.

Life can be harsh when the Harpenden Gentlewoman's Popular Front sink their collective gnashers into a victim.

• Options

cleggy said:

LDs (from what I have heard personally) seem reasonably confident in Eastbourne but not at all in Lewes. Greens appear to have taken a big bite out of NBs vote.
    Also, I find it mildly amusing that on the A26 into town the fields are clustered with the blue and yellow boards together. Doubt it does either any good as it brings back coalition memories.
This discussion has been closed.