Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf for tonight on Dave “being pumped up”

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf for tonight on Dave “being pumped up”

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited April 2015
    Ed is first !

Noticeably, PBTories are not talking about the economy. Normally, they are all experts.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    2nd.
  • Options
    It's always very weird to come on here when you've been away all day and realise it's a new thread. Have too admit I'm a nostalgist for the old days when the thread starter was always at the top.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ed is first !

Noticeably, PBTories are not talking about the economy. Normally, they are all experts.

I'm quire proud of the fact I mentioned last week that the first quarter figures would be released today with the potential for a slowdown which met with universal 'it'll be solid growth, nothing to see here, move on' from the experts.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ed is first !

we are .... well it's all relative .

Met a couple whose business is all their focus for a review this pm, they'd not even realised the GE is next week - asked me who was best to vote for.

Shame they don't live in Rochester!
  • Options

surbiton said:

Ed is first !

I'm quire proud of the fact I mentioned last week that the first quarter figures would be released today with the potential for a slowdown which met with universal 'it'll be solid growth, nothing to see here, move on' from the experts.
    My company sells to the whole of British industry. The average order we receive is £450. I could have told you of a slowdown since January. Scotland has seen a slowdown since beginning of last year.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited April 2015
    Those GDP figures will not be understood by many, but the narrative of the economy being weak is a double edged sword, it could help Labour if they point out that the Long Term Economic Plan failed or it could help the Tories by making people too anxious about the economy to vote Labour.

But one thing is certain, this is not the Trade Figures before the 1970 election.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    surbiton said:

Ed is first !

The only economic indicator that really matters is the unemployment rate. We all know that a Labour government spells increased unemployment. But you don't care.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    Speedy said:

Those GDP figures will not be understood by many.

Particularly when Krishnan Guru-Murthy on C4 News refers to a "fall in GDP" and the economics correspondent fails to correct him.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Speedy said:

Particularly when Krishnan Guru-Murthy on C4 News refers to a "fall in GDP" and the economics correspondent fails to correct him.

C4 doesn't have a proper Robert Peston, do they?
    Best they had was Bremner doing a Peston impersonation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd01ai4nEwo
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Speedy said:

Perhaps C4's fact checking department can get on Guru's case.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Speedy said:

Krishnan Guru-Murthy did PPE.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited April 2015
    Haha! Nice cartoon, Marf!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

surbiton said:

Ed is first !

The only economic indicator that really matters is the unemployment rate. We all know that a Labour government spells increased unemployment. But you don't care.
    Increased unemployment is increased Labour votes, why would Labour ever want to prevent that? Labour loves the poor being poor, just so long as they keep voting Labour.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Ed is first !

Increased unemployment is increased Labour votes, why would Labour ever want to prevent that? Labour loves the poor being poor, just so long as they keep voting Labour.
    Oh, they have crawled out from where they were !
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Looking forward to the YouGov, but will have to catch up with the results when I land!! Hopefully CON+6 :D
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Brilliant
  • Options
    RobD said:

Looking forward to the YouGov, but will have to catch up with the results when I land!! Hopefully CON+6 :D

Great omen - you are in the air when it comes out....

40% for Tories nailed on then.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Speedy said:

This is a fresh view:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a644597/robert-downey-jr-thinks-krishnan-guru-murthy-is-a-bottom-feeding-muckraker.html#~pbbmicGdunIGka

"The Avengers: Age of Ultron actor described the journalist as a "bottom-feeding muckraker", following last week's controversial interview."

• Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Ed is first !

Oh, they have crawled out from where they were !
    The economy is growing under the Tories while the deficit is falling, today's figures don't change that. When has that last happened years into a Labour government?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Ed is first !

The American expression " poverty pimps " captures the Labour elite.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited April 2015
    Fear & loathing in Blighty.
    Good cartoon! Unfortunately it isn't gonna happen.
    Just guessing, but I suspect Marf is no fan of DC.
    Isn't it something for Ratty to represent disinterested normalcy.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Speedy said:

Marf has it wrong too - growth isn't a slowdown.

• Options
    surbiton said:

Ed is first !

I see Ed avoided the economy in his PPB. He really hates business doesn't he.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    dr_spyn said:

Speedy said:

Even so, understanding what a positive number is shouldn't be out of his reach.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

Lets call it a slowdown in economic growth.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    If Dave gets in then the EU becomes the main news for the next two years.

What keeps us in?

Are, say, border controls enough? (The EU generally want's that anyway and DC would be a great stalking horse.)

Prime jurisdiction etc no one cares about beyond seeing a couple of people that should rot, rot. So easy territory.

What will Dave clutch in his hand and tell us that he's won in Brussels? And the really interesting (hypothetical) question - on what grounds will Labour oppose him?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

It reminds me of a change in the inflation rate from 2% to 1%. The rate of change has slowed, but prices are still rising.

• Options
    Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

Not sure it is if you take the YoY figure.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

YoY it's the slowest since Q4 2013.
    QoQ it's the slowest since Q4 2012.

So you can legitimately called it a slowdown.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited April 2015
    Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

YoY it's the slowest since Q4 2013.
    QoQ it's the slowest since Q4 2012.

So you can legitimately called it a slowdown.
    It's a 0.3% slowdown then but how that actually equates to a Gordon Brown 0% growth.....

Well...I am Not too sure?

"Growth will be a zero% rise" quote , unquote

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    If people really did now think the economy wasn't in such great shape, that would be a plus for the Tories. Not sure these figures are exciting enough for anyone to notice though.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Perhaps the most critical YouGov of the campaign tonight?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

What will Dave clutch in his hand and tell us that he's won in Brussels? And the really interesting (hypothetical) question - on what grounds will Labour oppose him?

The really interesting question is will Labour oppose him.

Labour are caught between a rock and a hard place in a referendum situation. They want to stay in, but don't want to give a victory to Cameron.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    GIN1138 said:

Just for fun?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Why?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Never has a near inevitable MOE change (or no change) been so crucial.

In all honesty, we have had several polls across multiple pollsters look good for the Tories; anything that might seem to confirm a trend, even if as yet the polling numbers still result in EIPM, could be seen as significant and in itself start to add to the trend narrative.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:

If they are on 40% someone call United to tell an attendant on UA1589 to surprise me with a mini bottle of bubbly!!!
  • Options
    Anecdote alert but feels on the doorstep that the Blue vote is solidifying just in time. If our people turn out in the way it is looking like they might than JackW will have everyright to feel thoroughly vindicated. Credit to our red opponents though they seem markedly less likely to engage in blind panic at the first sign of adversity than we do. My side needs more bottom in the Whitelaw sense as well as the old Jaccobite way.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    I'll repeat from an earlier thread...
    The rest of the EU would kill for a growth rate of 2.4%, which these figures show.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Ed is first !

That really is the bottom line. I do remember an interview on the news when it was a Glasgow Labour seat (Govan??) was won again by Labour in a by election. The guy on the interview said he was glad "the Labour" had got in because he thought at least there would be some changes around here

Labour seat for 40 / 50 years???

No can't link but I have tried more than once but that's what he said stopped in the street by the news crew.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,943

surbiton said:

Ed is first !

What happened to Labour being the party of those who, well, you know, labour..?

On topic, good cartoon Marf ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

Ed is first !

That really is the bottom line. I do remember an interview on the news when it was a Glasgow Labour seat (Govan??) was won again by Labour in a by election. The guy on the interview said he was glad "the Labour" had got in because he thought at least there would be some changes around here

Labour seat for 40 / 50 years???

No can't link but I have tried more than once but that's what he said stopped in the street by the news crew.
    I can well believe that. Its a view I find odd about all safe seats to be honest. They don't waver even in bad times, outside of once in a generation shifts.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

If they are on 40% someone call United to tell an attendant on UA1589 to surprise me with a mini bottle of bubbly!!!
    Nailed on - John O was polled by them earlier this week...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Running late by 1hr 29m

Tom Newton Dunn will have tweeted by the time you fly
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    RobD said:

A Con+6 with YouGov would be fantastic fun. OUTLIER!!!!! Or is it.....?

• Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    I expect Dave will chicken out of his interview with Russell Brand. Has he no respect for our democratic tradition?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @surbiton

'Noticeably, PBTories are not talking about the economy. Normally, they are all experts.'

Noticeably, Labour are not talking about the economy,too ashamed of their record or afraid voters will laugh at them ?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@surbiton

'Noticeably, PBTories are not talking about the economy. Normally, they are all experts.'

Noticeably, Labour are not talking about the economy,too ashamed of their record or afraid voters will laugh at them ?

Take 1997 - 2010 and 2010 - 2015. Which one had the higher growth rate ?

Highest growth rate of the G6 nations for the whole period 1997 - 2010.

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/conference_papers/15b_11_2011/151111_UK_Business_slides_final.pdf
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

RobD said:

My guess is that the YouGov will be in range of CON lead of 1-3%

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    reckon a lab lead of +1 for yougov.
  • Options
    @surbiton

'Highest growth rate of the G6 nations for the whole period 1997 - 2010'

Followed by the worst economic crash since the second world war,genius.

No more boom or bust ?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Running late by 1hr 29m

Tom Newton Dunn will have tweeted by the time you fly
    What happens if TND does not tweet ?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

C4 doesn't have a proper Robert Peston, do they?
    Best they had was Bremner doing a Peston impersonation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd01ai4nEwo
    Peston is irritating. KGM is irrelevant. No-one watches Channel 4.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    john_zims said:

@surbiton

No more boom or bust ?

No wonder you are a classic moron. The "economic crash" [ which happened all over the world ] is included in the period 1997 - 2010 . It did not follow that.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    surbiton said:

john_zims said:

@surbiton

Take 1997 - 2010 and 2010 - 2015. Which one had the higher growth rate ?

Highest growth rate of the G6 nations for the whole period 1997 - 2010.

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/conference_papers/15b_11_2011/151111_UK_Business_slides_final.pdf
    Jeez
    I guess you weren't born in 2010 then to see all the desolation which I guess makes you around 4 years old now allowing for overdue and inducing.

That there is the classic " year zero " post if ever I saw one.

;-)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Ed Miliband in Russell Brand interview: I will stand up to global business

http://gu.com/p/48vbp

This doesn't look good for Ed. Only politics geeks will see it but if the newspapers find any choice quotes....
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    His mimicking of Brand's arm gestures... Argh.
  • Options
    Programme on harsh Victorian Britain...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05t5l85

Don't suppose there is an agenda for a moment.
  • Options
    Maybe to people who will vote, Ed will look very reasonable next to the idiot? Like an extreme version of his tactics during the opposition leaders' debate?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Programme on harsh Victorian Britain...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05t5l85

Don't suppose there is an agenda for a moment.

Are you one of those weird Victorian nostalgists?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

RobD said:

My guess is that the YouGov will be in range of CON lead of 1-3%

Even Con+3 would indicate a significant change in the rate of travel... I doubt it will be very far from a tie though. YouGov doesn't seem to do change....
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Typical that proper crossover seems to have happened just a few days after I said I was feeling optimistic-ish about Labour's chances.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

john_zims said:

@surbiton

No more boom or bust ?

No wonder you are a classic moron. The "economic crash" [ which happened all over the world ] is included in the period 1997 - 2010 . It did not follow that.
    Left wing crash good.... Right wing crash bad

(Soooooo....left wing crash is always someone else's fault... In fact whatever they do it's always someone else fault)

M'Kay....
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    No TND Tweet. I'll revise my estimate to CON 1% or tie.
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn has not tweeted yet ?
  • Options
    Tom will Tweet about an interesting YG in next few minutes surely
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited April 2015

Nightly phone polls for 2020 I reckon.

ICM methodology.
  • Options
    TND is reviewing the papers on Sky tonight
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nightly phone polls for 2020 I reckon.

ICM methodology.
    Hourly would be better
  • Options
    BBC news ticker

"Greek PM sees deal by next week. "

What deal, more importantly how much more is this going to cost us?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

BBC news ticker

And how long will this 'deal' stave disaster off for this time? Another few months? A year?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

BBC news ticker

How much will it cost the Germans you mean?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

BBC news ticker

And how long will this 'deal' stave disaster off for this time? Another few months? A year?
    Merkel caves in. Go Syriza go !
  • Options

TND is reviewing the papers on Sky tonight

If he wanted to he could have tweeted.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Read my lips: no new taxes.

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick 2 mins2 minutes ago
    Wednesday's FT:
    Cameron in election pledge to ban tax rises in life of next parliament
    #tomorrowspaperstoday
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDtI1V2W0AMQlMF.jpg
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    antifrank said:

Wednesday's FT:
    #tomorrowspaperstoday

Mental.

The clearest manifestation of Cameron's battle winning war losing mentality.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2015
    antifrank said:

Wednesday's FT:
    #tomorrowspaperstoday

Is that a cast-iron guarantee?

I recon dave knows his time is up. Unless there's a workable CON/LD coalition >326, he'll go pretty quickly after 10pm.

Hammond or May wouldn't be tied by this (impossible to keep) promise.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

BBC news ticker

How much will it cost the Germans you mean?
    In Germany right now.

Anecdote Alert warning !!

Drinking the beer with them and I can assure you the ones I am taking too at the moment ain't chuffed.

I work here quite a bit and the opinion is not uncommon amongst quite a few at the coffee / water cooler machine.

Anecdote Alert stand down..... All Clear!!!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

antifrank said:

Wednesday's FT:
    #tomorrowspaperstoday

Mental.

The clearest manifestation of Cameron's battle winning war losing mentality.
    I'm keeping my options open until someone promises me my own personal De Lorean complete with flux capacitor.
  • Options
    @surbiton

'No wonder you are a classic moron. The "economic crash" [ which happened all over the world ] is included in the period 1997 - 2010 . It did not follow that.'

Your a complete idiot if you think that people weren't feeling the effect of Labour's economic meltdown in 2010.

• Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    AndyJS said:
    Stephen Hawking has become a wind-up-merchant, telling us to worry about alien invasions and robot uprisings. Still a better endorsement than Ian Brady for UKIP though.

• Options
    BBC world on TV in the local bar just reported that there were bad economic growth figures out of the UK......

They should be over here if they want to see bad by the way.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    "the ones I am taking too at the moment ain't chuffed."

Has a texting auto-correct error crept into that sentence? I don't follow it.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    AndyJS said:

"Talking to" perhaps?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Monkeys said:

AndyJS said:
    Stephen Hawking has become a wind-up-merchant, telling us to worry about alien invasions and robot uprisings. Still a better endorsement than Ian Brady for UKIP though.

Certainly not the most intelligent, nor a leading authority even on physics any more. But yes, better than Brady!!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    antifrank said:

Wednesday's FT:
    #tomorrowspaperstoday

Does anyone believe all this guff ?

Cameron best pray he doesn't get a majority !
  • Options
    Obviously the Tories have been a-briefing:

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick 1 min1 minute ago
    Wednesday's Daily Express front page:
    Freeze on VAT and income tax
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers
    https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/593150741361070081/photo/1
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes
    On mobile. "Talking" sorry

You know it's not the auto correct its a combination of bad eye sight and large finger tips for the crappy buttons they have on the phone. You have my sincere apologies

however,

if that is not sufficient for honour to be settled we could meet at dawn with Nokias....
  • Options
    O/T:

I've been trying to get round to watching Series 1 of The Wire recently, but watching the TV news will probably do just as well.
  • Options
    Impressive, mind, that the Express manage to get a picture of Madeleine McCann on the front page at the height of the election campaign.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Wednesday's FT:
    #tomorrowspaperstoday

That...seems like a very silly thing to say. People will not believe the next government might not need to raise taxes at some point. So presumably its a promise that he would not have to follow in a coalition, something he can say he wanted to do but his partners won't allow him to do.

Such an extreme promise does I think show Cameron clearly sees things as being more difficult for his position than the optimists out there, if he is offering this.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

Marf is a bit of a lefty?

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    antifrank said:

Impressive, mind, that the Express manage to get a picture of Madeleine McCann on the front page at the height of the election campaign.

Presumably they have "NEW GRANDCHILD FOR DIANA" all ready to go.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    kle4 said:

antifrank said:

Wednesday's FT:
    #tomorrowspaperstoday

That...seems like a very silly thing to say. People will not believe the next government might not need to raise taxes at some point. So presumably its a promise that he would not have to follow in a coalition, something he can say he wanted to do but his partners won't allow him to do.

Such an extreme promise does I think show Cameron clearly sees things as being more difficult for his position than the optimists out there, if he is offering this.
    Well it looks like it's 3 specific taxes. Big ones, mind.
  • Options

kle4 said:

antifrank said:

Wednesday's FT:
    #tomorrowspaperstoday

Well it looks like it's 3 specific taxes. Big ones, mind.
    Ah, I couldn't see the smaller text. That's a more reasonable pledge. Probably still unlikely should things start to slow down properly, but more realistic than the headline.
  • Options
    Not impressed by the tax freeze pledge. Rather boxes yourself into a corner in an uncertain economic world.

Would have liked to have seen a pledge to look at radically overhauling the tax systems we operate to make them fairer and more efficient.
  • Options

Not impressed by the tax freeze pledge. Rather boxes yourself into a corner in an uncertain economic world.

Would have liked to have seen a pledge to look at radically overhauling the tax systems we operate to make them fairer and more efficient.

Maybe he knows he does not have to worry about his pledge !
This discussion has been closed.