Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Announcing PB’s General Election night event + today’s Popu

124»

Comments

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2015

We might as well award PB Toty to Calum and Antifrank now.

I think we should hold out a little longer to see if Mike K's 81 UKIP seats pans out..!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Could the blue borders opt to stay in rUk ? A Maginot line running just below the central belt ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    Looks like Charlie Kennedy's Question Time appearance didn't go down that well.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited April 2015
    TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

So, are Labour going to take any seats in Scotland at all?

Cons 2nd largest party in Scotland would be amusing.

Damn right funny and tories save at least one seat and labour none - LOL
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Looks like both Alexanders will be out.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Andrew said:

Unemployment dropping like a stone, growth prospects good, widespread international praise for Britain's economic performance, while the rest of Europe teeters. It's basically a total vindication for the coalition's economic performance, a contrast to Miliband's stated preference (the Hollande approach)

Problem for them though, it's all coming a bit late in the day ......

Not really the problem is Cameron told his right wing to sod off and they did.
    Not really. Sensible right wingers are still with us.

People more obsessed with denying equal rights to gays than running the economy though ...
    There are lots more sensible rightwingers who aren't with you which is of course why you're not looking at a majority.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,017

Danny565 said:

Been spending the last hour at work thinking about hung parliament permutations #saddo

The real nightmare scenario in terms of forming a new government is if the Tories are the largest party but WELL short of a majority (say, about 280 seats or less). In such a scenario, they wouldn't have the numbers to cobble together a majority since there's so few natural allies for them in parliament, but equally Labour would be seen to have no "moral authority" to lead a government if they are the second party by a distance. In that case I think an immediate second election would be unavoidable, regardless of the obstacles that the Fixed Term Parliaments Act technically pose.

In such circumstances, Labour would be well advised not to vote the Queen's Speech down and change their leader. They could then bring the government down in the autumn. Unless of course Cameron had done a deal with Salmond in the meantime...
    Not even the slippery eels that are the SNP could wriggle out of their cast iron "we will not support a Tory Govt under any circumstance" and "we will lock out David Cameron" assurances. If the LDs destroyed their reputation over the "no increase in tuition fees" u-turn, imagine what it would do for the Nats to put in place a Tory administration - preventing that seems to be the raison d'etre of the independence movement anyway.

They'll support Ed, and let him do what he wants on 34% on the vote and probably no more than 285-295 seats.
    If Ed gets that many he'll be PM, no doubt. It's the lower range that's more interesting.

If Cameron basically gives the SNP carte blanche to run Scotland as a de facto nation state then are you telling me they'll refuse?
    Yes. Because it would mean Cameron as PM and the Tories in Government.

And on what authority or mandate could Cameron, even if he wanted to, give quasi-independence to Scotland? His MPs and the English would crucify him surely?
    If his MPs had to face the alternative of an election they'd accept it - and that is all you need under the Westminster system.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Looks like the SNP are going to gain all seats in scotland apart from Shetlands and Berwickshire.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Andrew said:

Unemployment dropping like a stone, growth prospects good, widespread international praise for Britain's economic performance, while the rest of Europe teeters. It's basically a total vindication for the coalition's economic performance, a contrast to Miliband's stated preference (the Hollande approach)

People more obsessed with denying equal rights to gays than running the economy though ...
    There are lots more sensible rightwingers who aren't with you which is of course why you're not looking at a majority.

We're looking around the same amount of votes that we got last time and considerably more votes than we got under either Hague or Howard.

Do I think we'd be better if we'd been persecuting gays? No.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    I can see why Jim Murphy was so popular with Scottish Tories now.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,151
    John_N said:

Not even the slippery eels that are the SNP could wriggle out of their cast iron "we will not support a Tory Govt under any circumstance" and "we will lock out David Cameron" assurances. If the LDs destroyed their reputation over the "no increase in tuition fees" u-turn, imagine what it would do for the Nats to put in place a Tory administration - preventing that seems to be the raison d'etre of the independence movement anyway.

They'll support Ed, and let him do what he wants on 34% on the vote and probably no more than 285-295 seats.

And what goodies might the SNP get from CON? Got to weigh that in the balance before deciding which way the balance tips.

I can't see that CON would have much of a problem with EVEL or son-of-EVEL (because it's not likely to be as simple as EVEL) if the alternative is going into opposition.

Factor in that Salmond appears to have lost his marbles, saying things about star alignments and not doing a deal even if the SNP gets everything they want (sic).

Average prediction at the moment is that SNP support for LAB wouldn't put Miliband into No.10 without LD support. Current figures suggest two possibilities: CON-SNP or LAB-RAINBOW. (That's leaving aside the issue of maj or min government, which isn't the big issue - who does a deal with whom is the big issue.)
    Barking
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    :dizzy:

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Damn right funny and tories save at least one seat - LOL
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454

Andrew said:

He. Was. In. A. Coalition.

Which of course I understand you get but don't forget some Tory backbenchers really are dense.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Every extra Labour loss in Scotland makes it harder for Ed to become largest party. Any Tory helping out Murphy would be mad. Equally I cannot see Labour helping the Tories in DCT or RBS.
  • Options
    Berwickshire Roxburgh Selkirk is probably even better for the Nats showing it to be Con Gain rather than SNP Gain.

Tactical voter mass confusion.

Tory tails will be up there, they'll believe Mundell can hang on too.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I am finding SPIN interesting. Labour and Tories -not budging at all. Yet the minor parties are wobbling. Green and UKIP are at their lowest so far.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    What likelihood would people place on the Liberal Democrats falling behind the DUP in number of MPs?

Polling this week suggests they could lose all their MPs in the South-West and Scotland, the traditional redoubts for the Liberal party. How low can they go?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Lord Ashcroft ✔ @LordAshcroft

Could tactical Tory votes save Jim Murphy? pic.twitter.com/ZOFtxVrcE7

Hopefully not,tories must give a anti labour message in Scotland,just like labour did with the tories.

As a rule of thumb, every person PB fawns about being next Labour leader, ends out of parliament.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Right now that's a serious possibility. I can't see a single seat in Scotland now where Labour should be favourites. Their best shots to me look like Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath and Coatbridge, Chryston & Bellshill.

Just look at the size of those Labour -> SNP swings.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

incredibly that is looking very conceivable! Only border areas and Shetland/Orkneys look capable of resisting the SNP surge. Perhaps Labour will want to back PR after all!
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Well quite. Let the SNP wipe them out and plan for the New World Order with a right-wing party as UnOfficial Ops up there.
    felix said:

Every extra Labour loss in Scotland makes it harder for Ed to become largest party. Any Tory helping out Murphy would be mad. Equally I cannot see Labour helping the Tories in DCT or RBS.

• Options
    Monkeys said:

He is their favourite conservative in the Labour party.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,016
    If that poll's accurate, it would appear that Sturgeon is Tamerlane to Miliband's Bayezid.

I wonder if he'd go mad being used as her footstool and carted about in a cage for her amusement.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Brom said:

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

incredibly that is looking very conceivable! Only border areas and Shetland/Orkneys look capable of resisting the SNP surge. Perhaps Labour will want to back PR after all!
    I'm not confident that the borders will be blue - the only votes left to squeeze against the SNP are Labour - I doubt they will vote blue.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Berwickshire Roxburgh Selkirk is probably even better for the Nats showing it to be Con Gain rather than SNP Gain.

My Dad lives in DCT. He was planning on voting Greens as he didn't think there was any chance of Mundell being unseated. The first Ashcroft poll made him switch to SNP. Yes, that's right, my dad is responsible for the 2 points extra for the SNP.

I suspect the same think is now going to happen BRS with people going SNP to keep the Con out.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Plato said:

:dizzy:

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Damn right funny and tories save at least one seat - LOL
    I missed some wording on the end plato,look at the same post now ;-)

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,487
    New Thread
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,133
    My SNP bet on RS&L is looking good. What a terribly sad way for Charlie to go.

Berwickshire is going to be interesting on the night :-)

• Options

Good news indeed - I had just read the article a short while before you posted it and read that Rolls Royce currently employs 24,500 people in the UK. For the life of me I can't recall where RR are based. Any guesses without googling?
    Bristol or Derby?
    They have factories in Paisley and East Kilbride as well
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    IF - there is a SLABberation and
    IF - Dave is still PM

The dynamics of the Westminster Labour party are going to be fundamentally changed and the leadership contest could be wide open.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

My Dad lives in DCT. He was planning on voting Greens as he didn't think there was any chance of Mundell being unseated. The first Ashcroft poll made him switch to SNP. Yes, that's right, my dad is responsible for the 2 points extra for the SNP.

I suspect the same think is now going to happen BRS with people going SNP to keep the Con out.
    Con being ahead in BRS is probably even better than SNP if it was to be say 1 pt for them. (Tactical muddying)

It'd mean I'd lose the panda bet but hey ho.

Con seat count anywhere between 0 and 3 still.
  • Options

Andrew said:

We're looking around the same amount of votes that we got last time and considerably more votes than we got under either Hague or Howard.

Do I think we'd be better if we'd been persecuting gays? No.
    You kid yourself this is all about the social issues. It's not. People's domestic plumbing arrangements interest me not a jot.

The issue as we've seen on several thread is Cameron has fked up his so called de-tox. Instead of tackling wealth and privelege where there were a damned sight more votes he tackled issuesd which were of little interest to most voters. As a result he not only can't aspire to a majority but he's going need some luck to stay as PM.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Andrew said:

He. Was. In. A. Coalition.

Which of course I understand you get but don't forget some Tory backbenchers really are dense.
    Nobody made him go in to a coalition he chose to.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Basic message - there's been a further swing to the SNP. Lord Ashcroft, my bank account salutes you.

9-4 against Murphy available still.
    I thought I had bet against him already but apparently not.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Fitalaff rates him highly
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Wow. SNP clean sweep in the offing.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    The excruciating thing for Labour is that none of these are close, the two Tory-inclined seats may or may not end up blue on the day but it looks like a foregone conclusion in most of the other ones
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

What likelihood would people place on the Liberal Democrats falling behind the DUP in number of MPs?

Polling this week suggests they could lose all their MPs in the South-West and Scotland, the traditional redoubts for the Liberal party. How low can they go?

I got to about 13 on the prediction game. What are the odds on less than 10?
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,017
    SeanT said:

chestnut said:

John_N said:

CON, LAB and even LD had a chance to show inspired leadership as soon as the indyref result came in. I mean actually attending to the issue of improving the Union. They could have started a big British-level conversation (I don't mean wonks-only), looking towards a new settlement, perhaps even to be put to people in simultaneous referendums in each of the Union's four constituent parts. None of the party leaderships had the gumption.

I don't think Lib and Lab quite realised how seismic an event it would be.

With 11 and 41 MPs 'no-change' must have looked pretty attractive in mid-September.

I can recall people on here dismissing the first SNP sub-samples that started to come through at the end of September 2014 as polling aberrations.
    Not me. As regular pb-ers know, I predicted

1. a fairly narrow NO win
    2. a Salmond resignation (tho I got the timing wrong)
    3. a very big consolation vote for the Nats in the GE

... and I predicted this about three days BEFORE the indyref. Here. On Ye PB.COM.

FWIW here's my next Scottish soothsaying: the Nats will romp home in May (as we all know), though a few Labour incumbents might prove stickier than expected (hence my prediction of a narrow Miliband plurality, despite Scots carnage).

HOWEVER I reckon Sturgeon will find Holyrood 2016 much harder going. By then Scotland will have considerable new fiscal powers, so Scottish voters will be deciding how much tax they want to give Nicola. That will sober them up. Moreover, polls show that most Scots DON'T want another referendum yet (and if they got one, they'd probably vote NO again).

The SNP's position will therefore be much more uncomfortable in 2016, as compared to being simply and easily anti-Tory in London in 2015.

I seriously doubt Sturgeon will get an overall majority in the next Holyrood elex.
    Very difficult to get a majority in that parliament, the way its voting system was fiddled by Mr Dewar's Labour Party to stop that ever happening. It's almost certainly designed purposely to give the Labour Party (and the Tories and LDs incidentally) the more list seats the more they lose in the first round.

I think what we will see in the runup to 2016 is people taking a hard look at how the mechanisms work and how best to vote on constituency and list to avoid wasted votes. It's not at all obvious to me whom the ensuing tactical voting would favour.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Is Willie Bain in Glasgow NE going to be the only Labour MP left?

(Lord Ashcroft polled the seat last time with a 7% Lab lead.)
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2015
    ***** Betting Post *****
    SkyBet's 1.91 (aka 10/11) on the SNP winning >43.5 seats looks great value. I doubt these odds will be around for long.
    DYOR.
  • Options
    A further swing on its own is not surprising but if you compare with 2010, this is truly astonishing:

Glasgow SW: 2010 - Lab 63%, SNP 16%, Ashcroft poll - Lab 34%, SNP 55%
    E Renfrewshire: 2010 - Lab 51%, SNP 9% (in 4th place!), Ashcroft poll -Lab 31%, SNP 40%

It's almost like a by-election swing but at a general election across a whole nation.

Who would have predicted this 5 years ago? Who would have predicted it even 2 years ago?
  • Options
    BBC news featuring today's strong employment figures and at the same time showing David Cameron forceful rejection of the possibility of labour being held 'hostage' by the SNP demanding a 'ransom' of more borrowing, higher taxes, higher welfare and threat to national security. Last night might prove to have been 'pyrrhic' victory for Ed Miliband as the agenda has turned to the Scottish question and how the SNP will dictate to the RUK. It is also a simple narrative that the conservatives will report ad infinitum right up to the 7th May
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    antifrank said:

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Right now that's a serious possibility. I can't see a single seat in Scotland now where Labour should be favourites. Their best shots to me look like Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath and Coatbridge, Chryston & Bellshill.

Just look at the size of those Labour -> SNP swings.
    Dumfries & Galloway might be their best bet
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    To fit the latest Ashcroft polls, I have had to change my assumption about the % of 2010 Lab voters switching to SNP from 33% to 45%. My LD and Con assumptions fit fairly well.

But the consequence is that LD lose Ross to SNP because of SNP pickup of Lab voters.
    LD hold Berwickshire from Con by 300 votes.

Overall, LD 2, SNP 57, Con 0, Lab 0
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Apols if already posted, just seen this on Facebook - Banksy has done UKIP http://i1.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/150416banksyUKIP.jpg
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Apols if already posted, just seen this on Facebook - Banksy has done UKIP http://i1.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/150416banksyUKIP.jpg

I love Banksy but he seems to be sick of both UKIP and the national flag.
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    malcolmg said:

John_N said:

And what goodies might the SNP get from CON? Got to weigh that in the balance before deciding which way the balance tips.

I can't see that CON would have much of a problem with EVEL or son-of-EVEL (because it's not likely to be as simple as EVEL) if the alternative is going into opposition.

Factor in that Salmond appears to have lost his marbles, saying things about star alignments and not doing a deal even if the SNP gets everything they want (sic).

Average prediction at the moment is that SNP support for LAB wouldn't put Miliband into No.10 without LD support. Current figures suggest two possibilities: CON-SNP or LAB-RAINBOW. (That's leaving aside the issue of maj or min government, which isn't the big issue - who does a deal with whom is the big issue.)
    Barking
    Woof woof!

Thanks for the kind thoughts, but if the seats go as the average PB prediction currently indicates, what's the best offer you think Cameron could make to the SNP?

And what alternative to CON-SNP or LAB-RAINBOW would there be?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on these matters.

There's a lot of good sense and experience here on PB, but this is politics and pre-election promises go out of the window as soon as the votes are in. A week is a long time. Of course CON could discuss a deal with SNP. If the SNP could deal only with LAB, they'd be giving up their strength. Play one lot of Sassenachs against the other. If it's a hung parliament, then no-one in the post-election discussion will give a toss about Holyrood next year. They'll concentrate on getting a result in today's match.

Everybody knew that once the LD had played second fiddle to CON for 5 years, they'd lose loads of seats because people would tire of seeing their ugly smarmy gobs. That didn't stop them. The hell with the long game in politics. Scotland's never going to be independent. Similarly, internal British politics will never bring about a referendum on Brexit. If such a referendum ever happens, it'll be because the EU is clearly on its way to breakup and Britgov calls for an Out vote. And that'll be determined mainly outside Britain. Like if Le Pen wins the Elysée in 2017, which is more probable than many pundits think.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Barnesian said:

To fit the latest Ashcroft polls, I have had to change my assumption about the % of 2010 Lab voters switching to SNP from 33% to 45%. My LD and Con assumptions fit fairly well.

But the consequence is that LD lose Ross to SNP because of SNP pickup of Lab voters.
    LD hold Berwickshire from Con by 300 votes.

Overall, LD 2, SNP 57, Con 0, Lab 0

This discussion has been closed.