Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: June 13th 2013

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: June 13th 2013

Liversedge and Gomersal on Kirklees (Con Defence)
Last Local Elections (2012): Lab 32, Con 18, Lib Dem 10, Green 5, Others 4 (No Overall Control, Lab short by 3)
Ward Results in current electoral cycle

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,259
    First?
  • Options
    2nd?

First?

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    "the Lib Dems would be better off closing their eyes and going “La, La, La” "

Good gracious! Where did you obtain Clegg's secret election campaign strategy for 2015? ;)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good evening, everyone.

Thanks to Mr. Hayfield for works on the locals.

It's a great shame to see Mr. Socrates leaving the site. Hopefully I'll see him about on Twitter (I'm MorrisF1 there).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,259
    FPT

Sad to see Socrates leave PB
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

FPT

"Such was the end of our friend; concerning whom I may truly say, that of all the men of his time whom I have known, he was the wisest and justest and best."
  • Options
    edited June 2013

FPT

Don't be sad Sunil because he isn't.

You might have missed his message but he says he'll be back so it's scarcely any different to the other posters who said virtually the same then came then came back unsurprisingly quicky. Of which there are now quite a few.

For that matter posters like Hunchman and Ave it appear and disappear for long stretches at will as do quite a few other posters. The difference is most of them don't usually announce a self-imposed temporary absence so ostentatiously.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    Thanks for another interesting write-up, Mr. Hayfield.

Two areas I know - Watlington (on the Fen Rivers Way) near where I once met a girlfriend for the first time, and Woolston which I knew very well when I lived nearby. Woolston was dominated by a now-closed shipyard - see my profile pic of the recently-built HMS Severn there in 2002, just before the yard sadly closed.

It does look as though the Lib Dem performance will be interesting this evening.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

FPT

Yep, I like Socrates.

And I liked reading the dialogue between him and Tim.

Sad to see him go.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    great programme about cats on the roof tops...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    dr_spyn said:

I assume this is why PB is so quiet? ;)
  • Options
    Incidentally, the F1 season's been my worst for a while (probably the 2010 season, which is my worst to date). As there's a bit of a gap to Silverstone I'll be writing up a relatively detailed analysis of why this is, and hopefully identify where I'm going wrong. I might put it up this weekend, if I have time.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Mick_Pork said:

FPT

Don't be sad Sunnil because he isn't.

You might have missed his message but he says he'll be back so it's scarcely any different to the other posters who said virtually the same then came then came back unsurprisingly quicky. Of which there are now quite a few.

For that matter posters like Hunchman and Ave it appear and disappear for long stretches at will as do quite a few other posters. The difference is most of them don't usually announce a self-imposed temporary absence so ostentatiously.
    Lol. My exile has been imposed by the markets. Don't worry, I'll be posting here very regularly when the crash of (more than) a lifetime gets underway from around late July. Having said that, Japan is giving a first taste of what we can come to expect.

Has Ave it been on here since Watford's implosion in football's most valuable game? He still owes me a pint, bless him!

And Socrates will be back before you know it.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    I can announce Dinky Duncan has been reselected to fight 2015 GE
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,955
    From memory Watlington is near where Norfolk council wanted to build an incinerator much to the annoyance of the locals. That Lib Dem is very much a protest vote that may not hold this time around.
  • Options
    The LibDems are not fielding a candidate to defend their seat...it's Con-UKIP-Lab
    eek said:

From memory Watlington is near where Norfolk council wanted to build an incinerator much to the annoyance of the locals. That Lib Dem is very much a protest vote that may not hold this time around.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    There is no Lib Dem candidate in the Watlington by election . They did have a candidate selected but no nomination papers were submitted .
    The 2008 Lib Dem percentages in 2008 in the Kirklees ward was 6% and in the Southampton ward 12% rather closer to the 2011/2012 figures than the GE turnout year of 2010 .
  • Options
    Channel 4 has an interview with a Labour Councillor who claims he was abducted from Whitby to have sex with aliens.
  • Options
    RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

I assume this is why PB is so quiet? ;)
    is cos they have forgotten the words.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If I may ask, why has Socrates left the site? Sad news indeed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    FPT, so if the OECD is correct, the net benefit from mass immigration is 0.46% of GDP! Wow! The UK economy would really grind to halt without it. We'd be, oh, £2 a week worse off per head.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,949
    @AndyJS, he complained of too much abuse. While I understand, it's worth noting two things :

1. Many many leave ostentatiously (seant), only to return a few weeks later.

2. There has been much abuse from many. Seant had called people liars, a pretty harsh insult, especially as it was usually incorrect, on numerous occasions.
  • Options
    QT from Scotland - all clap, all stand, all cheer, ovation. tumultuous cheering and stamping of feet...
  • Options
    Galloway firing both barrels at SNP.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,020
    dr_spyn said:

Galloway firing both barrels at SNP.

Were they the ones Saddam gave him?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Channel 4 has an interview with a Labour Councillor who claims he was abducted from Whitby to have sex with aliens.

Speaking of abducting things..
    HuffPostUKPolitics ‏@HuffPostUKPol

Ukip councillor Peter Georgiou resigns after admitting shoplifting from Poundstretcher http://huff.to/1bAaVDu
    *chortle*

• Options
    @theuniondivie probably the matrix churchill ones.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    Listening to Farage wittering cluelessly about Scottish constitutional matters makes me feel so at home. Like an average day on PB.

That this programme is even going ahead is an absolute disgrace.
  • Options
    26.48% turnout in Southampton ward
  • Options
    more nonsense from SNP but what's new.
  • Options
    Yes, yes, Ruth, one of the four anti-independence representatives simply has to interrupt the sole pro-independence voice. Really is intolerable that he is allowed to talk now and again.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Sean_F said:

FPT, so if the OECD is correct, the net benefit from mass immigration is 0.46% of GDP! Wow! The UK economy would really grind to halt without it. We'd be, oh, £2 a week worse off per head.

Thing about those stats imo

1. The political class like to pretend they support mass immigration for cost/benefit reasons but they cover up the truth about costs like thousands of children being forced into prostitution. Things like that prove they - or their lobbyists - actively want unlimited mass immigration and they're prepared to lie about the costs and if they're prepared to lie about the costs they'd be prepared to lie about the benefits as well.

2. One of the reasons for the explosion in child sexual exploitation in this country over the last twelve or so years is the explosion in the black economy. Part of the demand for cheap/free prostitution comes from all the men working illegally and sending their money home. As no-one knows how many there are and what all the effects are - apart from the obvious ones like youth unemployment - none of the stats on cost/benefit are going to be accurate anyway.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    Murdochs divorcing!! How much will she get!
  • Options
    Just listened to Lesley Riddoch and utterly failed to ascertain whether or not she was in favour of independence...
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Listening to Farage wittering cluelessly about Scottish constitutional matters makes me feel so at home. Like an average day on PB.

That this programme is even going ahead is an absolute disgrace.

Farrage being on QT in Scotland will do more for the Independence movement than Patrick Harvie ever would.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    "Just listened to Lesley Riddoch and utterly failed to ascertain whether or not she was in favour of independence..."

In principle she's not in favour of either independence or the status quo - she's a federalist, or less ideally a devo maxer. She embodies the huge folly that Cameron has potentially been guilty of, because it sounds like she's not doing what devo max supporters were 'supposed' to do when their preferred option was taken off the ballot paper.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    AndyJS said:

What made Socrates leave PB? Shame if he has left for good.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Icarus said:

There's no fool like an old fool as the saying goes. ;)

Chances are Rupert will be extremely generous as he might just be familiar with how sensationally 'tell all' divorce stories go down in the tabloids.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Just listened to Lesley Riddoch and utterly failed to ascertain whether or not she was in favour of independence...

Well, she said that as things stand she'll be voting Yes, so fairly unequivocal.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

He takes ad hom attacks personally instead of seeing them as a sign the other side has lost the argument.

edit: Not meant as a dig btw.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    hunchman said:

Lol. My exile has been imposed by the markets. Don't worry, I'll be posting here very regularly when the crash of (more than) a lifetime gets underway from around late July. Having said that, Japan is giving a first taste of what we can come to expect.

That sounds like my kind of disaster, my Japanese stocks are still up 50% since Abenomics started.
  • Options
    I thought someone said there would only be one pro-independence panelist tonight?
  • Options
    "I thought someone said there would only be one pro-independence panelist tonight?"

There is - Angus Robertson. As already stated, Riddoch is a devo max supporter who may vote Yes as the next best option.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I thought someone said there would only be one pro-independence panelist tonight?

Lesley Riddoch is non aligned and has previously favoured Devo Max; tonight is the first time (I think) that she's said she'll be voting Yes. The unholy union (sic) of Farage and Galloway would have that effect.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    AndyJS said:

As with the current polls, the parties in favour of Independence are in the minority. But despite this being the case, they expect to get equal billing and representation and whinge like mad if they don't. So enjoy the hypocrisy of the SNP then bitching about the democratically elected Conservative party currently in Government at Westminster getting so much airtime in Scotland.

• Options
    "As with the current polls, the parties in favour of Independence are in the minority."

The parties in favour of independence have THE MAJORITY both in the Scottish Parliament, and in the list vote in the most recent opinion poll. We didn't demand that this majority be reflected on the Question Time panel tonight, Fitalass. We merely suggested that a four-to-one imbalance in the other direction was a touch...how can I put this...bloody outrageous.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Icarus said:

Perhaps he'll give her The Times?
    Sean_F said:

Hmm, by the same token, would you agree that the 0.7% that goes overseas aid isn't a lot?

• Options
    Nick P, well there you are. If you're challenged where would we save the money from ending mass immigration, there's an obvious saving.
  • Options
    "If you're challenged where would we save the money from ending mass immigration, there's an obvious saving."

Just a profoundly immoral one.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

He objected to the implication, from another poster, that he was a pedophile.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,547
    edited June 2013
    For Sade fans — this is what Smooth Operator sounded like before the record companies got their hands on it.

A performance from Ronnie Scott's in December 1982, (audio only with photos):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn-ngKhqV2g
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but I think the record companies improved it. That sounds too fussy.
  • Options
    Sad to see @Socrates leave, but to be honest, if you can't take it don't dish it out. This site is at its worst (this post included) when it starts reflecting upon the travails of its posters.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    When it comes to the issue of education, the focus on the site tends to be about what is happening down South and Michael Gove the education Minister. But it was interesting to see the polling recently in Scotland on the views of our youngsters on the Indy Ref. I did a straw poll one night when my lads had a group of friends around, and the result was very similar.

I was particularly interested because at the last GE and Holyrood elections none of my three children were old enough to vote, but all three of them will be eligible to vote in the Indy Ref next year. By then they will have only known an SNP administration at Holyrood for the last seven years. My youngest lad is currently part of the last lot of children who have gone through their schooling under the old curriculum, next year we see the first national exams under the new curriculum for excellence.

They have all experienced their schooling and further education under this current administration, and have now become well acquainted with the system of free tuition fees and it impacts on further education opportunities for Scottish children at Scottish Universities.
    And they also know how the new curriculum for excellence has been greeted by teachers and parents alike.

They have seen how the SNP has impacted on their every day life with their selective banning. Yep, the SNP want you to vote in a monumental decision about Independence, but they made you wait until you were 18 to be able to buy a packet of fags. They even wanted to bring in a new age limit of 21 before you can buy alcohol. Just this week my son told me that his 22 year old friend collected his brother from a sporting event and nipped into Tesco's for his parents to buy some groceries on the way home. This shopping list included one bottle of nice white wine on a special deal, they refused to serve him this.

I suspect for young people in particular in Scotland, this Indy Referendum won't just be about the issue of breaking up the UK. It will also be about growing up under the increasingly nannying influence of the SNP Government who are now really pushing nationalism and being Scottish right down our throats, whereas before it had been a far more natural home grown affair. Throw in the way that the SNP viewed what happened to Farage when he last visited Scotland vs their outrage over the make up of a BBC programme's guest panel, and you can see just how ridiculous their behaviour is becoming.
  • Options
    "I suspect for young people in particular in Scotland, this Indy Referendum won't just be about the issue of breaking up the UK."

I suspect it won't be about that at all. It'll be about what's on the ballot paper - independence.

Do you support votes at 16, or not?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

I suspect for young people in particular in Scotland, this Indy Referendum won't just be about the issue of breaking up the UK. It will also be about growing up under the increasingly nannying influence of the SNP Government who are now really pushing nationalism and being Scottish right down our throats, whereas before it had been a far more natural home grown affair.

The SNP are an authoritarian party, just like the SLP, the LibDems and the Conservatives and Unionists. There is no popular support for individual liberty in Scotland.

• Options

"I suspect for young people in particular in Scotland, this Indy Referendum won't just be about the issue of breaking up the UK."

I suspect it won't be about that at all. It'll be about what's on the ballot paper - independence.

I suspect scottish tory surgers will never stop being entertainingly clueless.
    Almost as entertaining as this.

#indyref http://pic.twitter.com/ojJBHpPvgN

:D

• Options
    "The SNP are an authoritarian party, just like the SLP, the LibDems and the Conservatives and Unionists. There is no popular support for individual liberty in Scotland."

I support the SNP partly because it's a much more libertarian party than Labour. Everything's relative of course, but I'm quite comfortable with the party. If I lived in England I'd have a problem, because the only options on the "left" are authoritarian Labour, or fringe parties.
  • Options

Do you support votes at 16, or not?

No. But I am going to enjoy the delicious irony of the SNP being skewered by the very demographic they thought would be most favourable to Independence in this way. And again, I see you have just hung yourself by your own petard, priceless. You claim that the referendum will be all about Independence and not in anyway a judgement on the record of the current SNP Government at Holyrood. Yet the SNP are hoping to fly by the seat of their pants on the back of a Conservative Government at Westminster being so unpopular in Scotland it will push up the yes vote.

• Options
    fitalass said:

and not in anyway a judgement on the record of the current SNP Government at Holyrood.

We had that in 2011 with an SNP landlside majority govt. How big was your scottish tory surge in 2011 again?

• Options
    "No."

And it never occurred to you that it was a bit rich for you to talk about SNP inconsistency, when you want young people to be able to buy cigarettes, but not to have the most basic right of citizenship?

"But I am going to enjoy the delicious irony of the SNP being skewered by the very demographic they thought would be most favourable to Independence in this way."

The irony I anticipate finding most flavoursome is you recalling those words in eighteen months' time. Whatever the outcome of the referendum, I confidently expect young people to be among the groups proportionately most favourable for Yes.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    @SeanT there's a special article in the Guardian. suspect it was written just for you

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/13/if-britain-had-joined-the-euro
  • Options

I support the SNP partly because it's a much more libertarian party than Labour. Everything's relative of course, but I'm quite comfortable with the party. If I lived in England I'd have a problem, because the only options on the "left" are authoritarian Labour, or fringe parties.

The SNP voted against the Justice and Security Act 2013 on principle, albeit more on jurisdictional than libertarian grounds. I have enormous respect for that stance. Yet it must be acknowledged that on double jeopardy, double criminalisation and corroboration, the Scottish Government have pursued some dubious policies to the detriment of the liberty of the subject. The outrageous denunciations of the Supreme Court (and in particular the late Lord Rodger of Earlsferry who was dying of a terminal illness at the time) for the judgment in Fraser v HM Advocate were disturbing. Of course, the nationalists have been less authoritarian than Labour, but that is hardly an achievement, as I'm sure you would accept!

• Options
    Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

I should think that whoever suggested such a thing, even by implication, would be banned, for a period at least.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    hunchman said:

You originally came on here in July 2011 predicting a major crash was imminent.

Almost two years later the markets are up a fair bit.

If there isn't a crash this summer are you going to keep coming on here predicting that a crash is about to happen?

If you do this continually for the next 20 years then of course you will probably be right eventually. But it gets very boring. A stopped clock is right twice a day.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Southampton
    Lab 864 UKIP 741 Con 704 TUSC 136 LD 120 Green 107

A crap result for Labour, very good for UKIP, decent for Con and TUSC, bad for LD.

I think the other 2 count tomorrow
  • Options
    fitalass said:

They have seen how the SNP has impacted on their every day life with their selective banning. Yep, the SNP want you to vote in a monumental decision about Independence, but they made you wait until you were 18 to be able to buy a packet of fags. They even wanted to bring in a new age limit of 21 before you can buy alcohol. Just this week my son told me that his 22 year old friend collected his brother from a sporting event and nipped into Tesco's for his parents to buy some groceries on the way home. This shopping list included one bottle of nice white wine on a special deal, they refused to serve him this.

I suspect for young people in particular in Scotland, this Indy Referendum won't just be about the issue of breaking up the UK. It will also be about growing up under the increasingly nannying influence of the SNP Government who are now really pushing nationalism and being Scottish right down our throats, whereas before it had been a far more natural home grown affair. Throw in the way that the SNP viewed what happened to Farage when he last visited Scotland vs their outrage over the make up of a BBC programme's guest panel, and you can see just how ridiculous their behaviour is becoming.

Far be it for me to wade in, being not a young person, nor resident any longer in Scotland. But, these kind of analomalies have been around in england too since I was 16 and before- you could join the army but not vote etc etc. perennial adolescent whinges and not much more.

And Tesco were always quite capable of behaving like arseholes regardeless of the influence of the SNP

Somehow can't see "Vote for the continuation of the libertarian UK" gaining much traction as a meme (for want of a better word) to be honest
  • Options

Southampton

Wow! UKIP second and up there with a good percentage of the vote

• Options

Southampton

A crap result for Labour, very good for UKIP, decent for Con and TUSC, bad for LD.

So c. 26% ish for UKIP. It's good for them the local results are so much better than the national polling as it shows either they do have concentrated support in certain areas or the national polling is wrong.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

I should think that whoever suggested such a thing, even by implication,
    I should think that those throwing the accusation of that accusation around so freely should be far more careful since "implied" is an opinion of perception and not a direct accusation of anything.

• Options
    "I should think that whoever suggested such a thing, even by implication, would be banned, for a period at least."

Bannings are fairly random around here (the words "pure comedy gold" get you banned, calling someone a member of the Ku Klux Klan doesn't), so who knows. I didn't see the post in question, so I've no idea if Socrates has a point, or is just indulging in some overly-theatrical Tim-bashing (was it Tim?).
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Not to mention that those throwing the accusation of that accusation around so freely should be far more careful since "implied" is an opinion of perception and not a direct accusation of anything.

after the Bercow tweet, who knows what might be actionable
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

I should think that those throwing the accusation of that accusation around so freely should be far more careful since "implied" is an opinion of perception and not a direct accusation of anything.

Bollocks Porkie! Go fry yourself in your own oven.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited June 2013
    Southampton is very near Eastleigh so reasonable to think UKIP may well have benefited from Eastleigh effect - ie people thought they could win.
  • Options
    It's always refreshing to let go at times.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MikeK said:

Mick_Pork said:

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

Bollocks Porkie! Go fry yourself in your own oven.

Calm down Mikey. Go and find Farage an actual MPs seat he can win since he self evidently still can't even win a by-election.

Better watch that Kipper councillor doesn't steal your kipper logo. ;)

• Options
    MikeK said:

Southampton

Wow! UKIP second and up there with a good percentage of the vote

iirc the Newkie one last week was c. 25% as well.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Southampton is very near Eastleigh so reasonable to think UKIP may well have benefited from Eastleigh effect - ie people thought they could win.

No, I don't think so. Eastleigh was some months ago and people have short memories - usually.
    It's the effect of UKIP gaining support all over England to a greater than lesser degree.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Yes, that'll be part of it.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

And just like in Eastleigh they thought wrong.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

MikeL said:

The critical point though is the 25%-ish results from Southampton to Newcastle. It means either the national polling is wrong or they do have concentrated support - which refutes both arguments at once.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

@AndyJS, he complained of too much abuse. While I understand, it's worth noting two things :

2. There has been much abuse from many. Seant had called people liars, a pretty harsh insult, especially as it was usually incorrect, on numerous occasions.

I call people liars when they lie. You, for one, lied. Sue me for libel.

There is, besides, a rather large difference between a suggestion of mendacity and an accusation of pedophilia.

tim is a cockroach. Fair enough if you tolerate him in your pb kitchen, as a sign of a healthy ecosystem. But don't be surprised when others decide to make their sandwiches elsewhere.
    Seant and I have on occasion boxed around our handbags on PB.com, that is robust debate, and then we move on no grudges held. But then, neither of us are on the site from daybreak until midnight obsessionally responding too, and repeatedly attacking the same posters with nasty smearing memes incessantly without let up. I belong to the small group of posters that have been on the receiving end of this treatment from one particular poster for YEARS now on this site.

So as a point of order, I really do think that it says something about posters on this site who consistently criticise others for not shutting up and putting up it with it while ignoring the actually bad behaviour of someone who consistently targets and smears specific posters who disagrees with them. Especially when in the past on PB, one of the biggest successes was the need for such light touch moderation because the community essentially policed itself and as a cross party collective wouldn't tolerate this kind of behaviour.

You really need to work out just how small the lunch box needs to get before there ain't enough sandwiches, never mind meat in the middle, to feed an interesting wide ranging political debate which then produces some interesting and varied betting opportunities. So for those that far too easily dismiss the contributions of the non betting posters on this site, just remember that they too played their part in helping to build up the profile of this site, which in turn helped it become the success it has become as part of the political narrative in the media. You don't have to be a punter here to see your points picked up and then given further currency elsewhere, which again does tend to influence the political markets.

What was once a thriving community where a large and diverse group of posters engaged in mainly polite, robust and good natured debate on many topics, has now turned into a closed shop with a little clique talking amongst themselves about the same topics day in and day out. PB has lost its mojo right now, lets talk more about how we get that back instead of assuming that the last person who left will be back in quick time. And because, frankly, that has no longer been the case of late.

• Options
    MrJones said:

Mick_Pork said:

MikeL said:

The critical point though is the 25%-ish results from Southampton to Newcastle. It means either the national polling is wrong or they do have concentrated support - which refutes both arguments at once.
    No, it means in a few local byelections with very little at risk a sizeable protest vote is safe enough and hardly disproves the national polling which would still see the kippers destroyed by FPTP at the general election anyway.

The kippers did not win in Eastleigh. That's not an opinion it's a fact.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

MrJones said:

Mick_Pork said:

MikeL said:

No, it means in a few local byelections with very little at risk a sizeable protest vote is safe enough and hardly disproves the national polling which would still see the kippers destroyed by FPTP at the general election anyway.

The kippers did not win in Eastleigh. That's not an opinion it's a fact.
    The 25%-ish results prove *either* the national polling is wrong *or* there are concentrated pockets of support.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT is no different to fitalass in that respect as she too flounced off vowing never to return yet also came back. If only to whine about the same things that she and others are guilty of. As everyone can see PB tories and some kippers have zero self awareness and no concept of the huge irony where they quite clearly believe only they should be allowed to insult others while what they perceive as insults must be immediately punished or a flounce will ensue.

PB tories call their insults 'robust debate' while if they get back what they dish it out it's immediately 'smears' 'accusations' or some such other passive aggressive bollocks. cockroach is of course a term of endearment and not blatant proof of hypocrisy.

The idea that the PB tories are the helpless oppressed victims on this site is frankly one of the most hilariously dumb fantasies you could possibly imagine.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Southampton

My reading is that Labour won, UKIP didn't. Tories third ! Am I wrong ?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited June 2013
    LAB did win but its vote was down from 55% in 2012 to 32% last night.

That is a crap result.

The LDs were down 3.6% since 2012.
    surbiton said:

Southampton

surbiton said:

Southampton

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 13th June - CON 32%, LAB 39%, LD 10%, UKIP 12%; APP -34 - See more at: http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/06/14/update-labour-lead-7/#sthash.Xt1b2cBh.dpuf
  • Options
    Seems the drop in the Labour vote mainly down to UKIP. Re YG looks like UKIP surge settling just above 10%. Tories back above 30 so again unclear who UKIP is really damaging. I wonder how many of their 12% were non-voters last time.
  • Options
    http://order-order.com/2013/06/13/smash-the-bbc-harman-wants-15-market-share-cap/

Apparently Harman wants a 15% media market share cap. Top plan.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    tim said:

A few billion off the share price, yet another triumph for Toxic George

"Osborne shouldn’t treat RBS like his family business"

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/09e8472c-d414-11e2-8639-00144feab7de.html#axzz2WA9c6jWm

Wot! Papering over the cracks?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

http://order-order.com/2013/06/13/smash-the-bbc-harman-wants-15-market-share-cap/

It will only apply to individuals and private companies, and therefore not the BBC or Channel 4.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22899952

Which will skew the market even more as there are a limited umber of people and companies who can / would want to own a media organisation. Given the plethora of scandals surrounding the BBC, I'm not sure that their market dominance (especially in the news) is warranted.

The 'fit and proper person' test is also utterly bogus and rife for political mischief.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Something that puts the recent small fall of pensioner income into perspective: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22890906

"The IFS said while older people had become richer on average since the beginning of the financial crisis in 2007/08, younger people had become poorer."

This is the context in which the protection of pensioners' benefits has to be looked at. In this Parliament the government committed itself to protecting these benefits but this cannot continue. Although it hurt me personally I approved of the removal of CB from HRT but the same logic applies to winter fuel allowances, TV licences, additional personal allowances and the distortions caused by NI.

As someone in my 50s with children I see that this recession has hurt a younger generation most. They are being loaded with debt and getting on the housing ladder is incredibly difficult compared with what it was 30 years ago. Regular work is hard to come by, employment rights seem to be something of a joke, they are kept less than busy with pointless education courses that they know are a joke and basically seem to have to mark far more time than my generation did before they can get going with life.

Our politicians still have this image of the poor pensioner struggling to keep warm. Everyone else sees many examples living around them enjoying a golden age of early retirment and regular holidays, something they know will not exist in that way when they get to the ever later retirement age themselves.

This so called "triumph of social policy" has gone too far. If we don't want our youth to be alienated we need to start giving them more attention. What politicians will be brave enough?
  • Options

MrJones said:

It will only apply to individuals and private companies, and therefore not the BBC or Channel 4.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22899952

Which will skew the market even more as there are a limited umber of people and companies who can / would want to own a media organisation. Given the plethora of scandals surrounding the BBC, I'm not sure that their market dominance (especially in the news) is warranted.

The 'fit and proper person' test is also utterly bogus and rife for political mischief.
    "and therefore not the BBC or Channel 4."

She wouldn't have said it if it applied to the BBC as well. It should though.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Josias.

Sky has a bigger turnover than the BBC, it's really not the BBC's problem that people choose to watch BBC News rather than Sky.
    Or that Sky choose to spend so much of their income on stratospheric wages for second rate footballers.

The BBC plus the Bundesliga, now there's a world class alternative.

As I have explained to you before, not everyone can get Sky News. Until we moved to our present house, we did not get any good reception for it in any of our previous five houses. Strangely, that's never been the case for the BBC multiplexes.

It's hard to watch it when you cannot get reception.

And the amount of income is irrelevant - what matters is market share.

I'm a fan of the BBC. But the recent scandals have been shocking and shown a terrible culture that exists within the organisation.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Harman full of shit as usual. Why's it a monopoly (or an overly mighty firm, at least) if it's a private company that is successful and people choose to support, but it isn't when it's a public sector organisation about four times larger which people are obliged through taxation to support?

It's like the left crying out for a cap on donations, except the unions, or some theists who use the argument of First Cause (Teleological, is it?) to insist that because everything must have a cause God must be the cause of the Universe [when asked 'what caused God?' they reply that he's an exception to their own rule].
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    tim said:

@DavidL

Correct.
    And don't forget who the big beneficiaries of Osbornes housing bubble policy will be, while people under thirty pay the price

The policy you complain about is designed to get first time buyers onto the housing ladder and is therefore a small step in the right direction.

But something needs to be done about zero hour employment contracts, the casualisation of work, the quality of modern apprenticeships, the abuses of unpaid internships and the way that necessary reforms of social security are going to disproportionately impact on the young. They are getting hard done by, not just in this country but across Europe.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Josias.

What's the coverage since the digital switchover?

People still choose BBC News by a massive margin among those who have both (which is a vast majority

If 45% chose Sky then Harman's cap would still want Sky broken up so that's a non-argument.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    DavidL said:

Something that puts the recent small fall of pensioner income into perspective: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22890906

"The IFS said while older people had become richer on average since the beginning of the financial crisis in 2007/08, younger people had become poorer."

This is the context in which the protection of pensioners' benefits has to be looked at. In this Parliament the government committed itself to protecting these benefits but this cannot continue. Although it hurt me personally I approved of the removal of CB from HRT but the same logic applies to winter fuel allowances, TV licences, additional personal allowances and the distortions caused by NI.

As someone in my 50s with children I see that this recession has hurt a younger generation most. They are being loaded with debt and getting on the housing ladder is incredibly difficult compared with what it was 30 years ago. Regular work is hard to come by, employment rights seem to be something of a joke, they are kept less than busy with pointless education courses that they know are a joke and basically seem to have to mark far more time than my generation did before they can get going with life.

Our politicians still have this image of the poor pensioner struggling to keep warm. Everyone else sees many examples living around them enjoying a golden age of early retirment and regular holidays, something they know will not exist in that way when they get to the ever later retirement age themselves.

This so called "triumph of social policy" has gone too far. If we don't want our youth to be alienated we need to start giving them more attention. What politicians will be brave enough?

Very good post. I'm 63, I was the author of the TV licences over 75 proposal, but I agree with you. There is a definite suggestion out there that if you're young, life is tough, there's nothing to be done about it, and politics is for older people. Employment? Not a lot of it about, sorry mate. Housing? Got to protect the green belt. University? Certainly, here's your £20,000 loan agrement. Employment rights? An old-fashioned concept getting in the way of efficiency. Crime? Yes, sonny, we've got our eye on YOU.

We seem to have collectively shrugged off the riots as a mysterious outbreak of criminality, but it's hard to tell young people with a straight face that the political world is really paying attention to them. I do know some people under 30 who are interested in politics: they are almost without exception either idealists who want to save the world or careerists who want to be PM; few if any are interested because they feel Government policy will help their own lives. And I really do not think this is the fault of or limited to any one party - it's a by-product of the pernicious circular view that because older people vote more, their interests have to come first.
This discussion has been closed.