Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories move to win the elder brothers’ vote – a wise mo

124»

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Plato said:

I'm going on a tour of Eastbourne on Monday afternoon as a recce to see what's visible campaign wise.

Will report back.

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

For Eastbourne - I've had a single Focus leaflet pushed through the door. That's it.

CCHQ aren't canvassing me as I'm a member. Nothing from anyone else.

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

I can honestly say that I haven't noticed the LD campaign at all.

Danny565 said:

For all of us on either Labour or Tory sides who have frustrations with our campaigns, atleast we can console ourselves with one thing:

It's not as lacklustre or uninspiring as the Lib Dem campaign.

Noone will, they are fighting 60 by-elections.
    Crikey I'd have thought the streets would be awash with "Winning here" yellow paint in Eastbourne. I mean I've not noticed there is even an election on, but NE Derbyshire is a big ask for the Conservatives and my ward is solid Labour tbh.
    Is Eastbourne still full of old retired people?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Great! All other suggestions from all PBers most welcome.

I came up with 18 countries to visit that I'd missed so far off the top of my head.

Plato said:

Whoa. I meant to ask you about your past travel destinations. Didn't you visit the back end of beyond in an ocean a few years ago?

I'm building an epic travel bucket list and thought of you.

Plato said:

Holy Moly - I didn't know they existed

Santa Fe accomplished the resupply mission and landed the marine troops on 25 April. Members of the Argentine garrison had salvaged a crippled BAS launch, which was used to download the cargo.[5]

Some hours later, after leaving Grytviken, Santa Fe was detected on radar by Lieutenant Chris Parry, the observer of the Westland Wessex HAS.3 anti-submarine helicopter from HMS Antrim, and attacked with depth charges. This attack caused extensive internal damage, including the splitting of a ballast tank, the dismounting of electrical components and shocks to the machinery

Plato said:

When did the RAF shoot something down? Isn't it all RN airman that do most of this now?

Indigo said:

Danny565 said:

I'm a loony lefty, but I like the idea of keeping Trident. It might be irrational, but I don't want to risk being "naked" in this world with so many threats, thanks.

I'm a far right Tory, and I'd be ok with us not replacing Trident.
    Your the liberal metro elite leader of Economical Dry But Not Banging On About Europe and Gays. ;)
    I'm also very strong on defence.

I'd increase defence spending to 2.5% of GDP and spend the money on the Navy and our conventional forces.

It is a shame, the RAF really have become the few.
    Heck, the RN are so fierce they even sunk a submarine using a helicopter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Santa_Fe_(S-21)

Labour (and especially Hoon) should be ashamed of the way they emasculated the FAA.
    I have stood beside Petty Officer Felix Artuso's grave in Grytviken. He is in the same small cemetery as Sir Ernest Shackleton.
    I was doing it four years ago. The little bits of Empire dotted around the southern Atlantic.

Ushaia, Tierra del Fuego --> Antarctica --> South Georgia --> Gough Island --> Tristan da Cunha (and Nightingale Island and Inaccessible Island) --> St. Helena --> Ascension Island --> Cape Verde

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

That does not address the point I was making: the article looks entirely wrongheaded. And linky to the admiral's comments, please.

The admiral quote is 'accurate' but they were not 'admitting' anything, they were desperate to paint themselves as vulnerable to a weapons ystem that doesn't exists as they then said "... and that is why we need loads more funding to spend on toys"
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

weejonnie said:

antifrank said:

All those referencing Cain and Abel should recall that Cain was the older brother. And it was Cain that ended up in the land of Nod, while when Ed Miliband speaks, it's the audience that is sent there.

I always find it amusing

"So Cain went out from the Lord’s presence and lived in the land of Nod,[f] east of Eden.

17 Cain made love to his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch. Cain was then building a city, and he named it after his son Enoch. "

Now Cain was the elder son of Adam and Abel the younger - so where did his wife come from - and why did he need to build a city as presumably there were only three people alive at the time - Adam Eve and Cain?
    Logic and religious texts aren't good bedfellows.
    And as we see today - the effects are horrendous.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    antifrank said:

Scott_P said:

It's a mettyfor (sic)

@benrileysmith: The Lib Dem battle bus has just killed a pigeon.

Spring is here! Spring is here! Life is skittles! Life is beer!
    Now try that to the tune of "Modern Major General"
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Alistair said:

FalseFlag said:

Alistair said:

Dair said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Danny565 said:

I'm a loony lefty, but I like the idea of keeping Trident. It might be irrational, but I don't want to risk being "naked" in this world with so many threats, thanks.

I'm a far right Tory, and I'd be ok with us not replacing Trident.
    Your the liberal metro elite leader of Economical Dry But Not Banging On About Europe and Gays. ;)
    I'm also very strong on defence.

I'd increase defence spending to 2.5% of GDP and spend the money on the Navy and our conventional forces.

It is a shame, the RAF really have become the few.
    The role for the RAF is fading fast, projecting power is about carriers, you could almost reduce the RAF to an airspace defense/interdiction force and move all the strike capability to Fleet Air Arm (if we had a few real carriers and support ships). Sadly a Nimitz class carrier costs around $4.5bn, so about twice as much as the whole trident replacement program.
    Perhaps you should do some reading up on how useful Carriers actually are.

Here's a clue. Aircraft Carriers have no defence against Ballistic Missiles (1940s technology). None.
    No-one has a proven anti-ship ballistic missile.

I know, I know, you've heard about some Chinese something or other but that's a project, it's not an actual thing that's actually been used. IT was used by the US Navy to try and get more funding for their toys.

And, in practice no-one would use a ballistic missile against an actual carrier group because the trouble with ballistic missiles is that they look like ballistic missiles and that means they are indistinguishable from a nuclear weapon launch.
    The war nerd had good article explaining why the navy, but especially carriers, are just sitting ducks.

http://exiledonline.com/the-war-nerd-this-is-how-the-carriers-will-die/2/
    I saw that article a while ago. And it is awful. I don't have the time to deconstruct it fully but as a general rule of thumb you can discount any article on the military that present cavalry-vs-longbow in such a cack fisted one-dimensional manner.
    Convenient.

How many ships did we lose to the Argentines in the Falklands? Tech has moved on from the exocet.
    The Exocet would be compleltely ineffective against RN ships today.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    edited April 2015
    The great benefit of Trident (at least in principle) is that you can be very far from trigger-happy. If we had a deterrent that was land based in say Hastings and New Cross (chosen deliberately), and they were blown up somewhat then there might be a very great rush to decide whether to retaliate against any presumed adversary (albeit one with good taste). With the nukes safely on submarines then we can dither all we like.

For Ed surely; HMS Dither, HMS Confusion, and HMS But I Say
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    MikeL said:

Scott_P said:

@May2015NS: New YGov/Scotland poll tonight. We hear it's newsworthy... All recent polls have put SNP in mid-40s and Labour in high 20s: who's up/down?

Surely highly likely to be SNP down / Lab up.

Could be a big moment.
    Tories second would be the funniest.....

• Options
    rullko said:

If Ed M "stabbed his own brother in the back" - it's always nice to see a senior government minister capable of avoiding cliché - then so did David M, right?

How unrelated do you have to be to someone for it no longer to be dishonourable to compete against them? Would cousins be okay?

The backstabbing was not EdM running against his brother.

It was 2 years beforehand, when he encouraged him not to try and unseat Brown "for the good of the party" while secretly calculating it maximised his personal chances of becoming PM.
  • Options
    It's become a real mixed bag. Loads of immigrants, asylum seekers and students. I've been in numerous conversations with Syrians, Iraqis and the Big Issue sellers are Romanian.

Walking down any street near the town centre is a gaggle of languages even in January. It's totally different to how it was when I moved near here back in 1997.

Then it was all grey hairs, mobility scooters and a sprinkling of summer students from France/Germany.
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

I'm going on a tour of Eastbourne on Monday afternoon as a recce to see what's visible campaign wise.

Will report back.

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

For Eastbourne - I've had a single Focus leaflet pushed through the door. That's it.

CCHQ aren't canvassing me as I'm a member. Nothing from anyone else.

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

I can honestly say that I haven't noticed the LD campaign at all.

Danny565 said:

For all of us on either Labour or Tory sides who have frustrations with our campaigns, atleast we can console ourselves with one thing:

It's not as lacklustre or uninspiring as the Lib Dem campaign.

Noone will, they are fighting 60 by-elections.
    Crikey I'd have thought the streets would be awash with "Winning here" yellow paint in Eastbourne. I mean I've not noticed there is even an election on, but NE Derbyshire is a big ask for the Conservatives and my ward is solid Labour tbh.
    Is Eastbourne still full of old retired people?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    1/50 Lab absolutely buying money in the former. 1/33 in Poplar not quite as good.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

I believe there was confirmation recently of Neanderthal DNA in humans (to no one's great surprise - if it was possible to have sex, we assumed they would). They did mingle and the only doubt was whether the embryo would be viable. By that I mean that it could be carried to term.

Clearly it was.

Is this SeanT's new novel?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2015

MikeL said:

Scott_P said:

@May2015NS: New YGov/Scotland poll tonight. We hear it's newsworthy... All recent polls have put SNP in mid-40s and Labour in high 20s: who's up/down?

Surely highly likely to be SNP down / Lab up.

Could be a big moment.
    Tories second would be the funniest.....

Perhaps the LibDems have crept into double figures somewhere.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Dair said:

Labour are on a core vote strategy. Dropping Trident 2 would have absolutely no effect on their core vote. Might even get them a LOT of Greens onside and a big chunk of the former Liberals.

Imo, a lot of "working-class" core Labour voters wouldn't take well to any impression of Labour being soft on defence. It was one of the main reasons Thatcher made inroads with those voters.
    If they committed to fitting out HMS Prince Charles and arming it along with thousands of jobs that would bring, they don't need to look soft, they can sell it as "far more suited to the modern threats like ISIS" there little risk of that.

Not persuaded they would lose anything even without the Prince Charles commitment.
    Cameron and the Conservatives have already committed to fitting out the PoW and putting it (*) into service.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29075307

(*) I think ships are meant to be referred to as 'her'., but that seems wrong with one called the Prince of Wales?
    She's still a she even with a male name.

And oh, those Tories, spending from the Magic Money Tree again. When will they learn.
    Ships named after blokes should be referred to as he/him/his in my opinion :)
    Navy ships shouldn't have poncy male or female names but proper mean fighting names like Warspite, Dreadnought, Ironduke, Bloodaxe, Throatripper, Kittenstomper, Deathangel, etc. The RN dropped a bollock with this 'HMS Queen Elisabeth' nonsense. Bah humbug!
    Kittenstomper?
  • Options
    Ages ago when the Argies were agitating - didn't someone here calculate that HMS Nuke could destroy a vessel in Buenos Aires without leaving the Thames?
    Omnium said:

The great benefit of Trident (at least in principle) is that you can be very far from trigger-happy. If we had a deterrent that was land based in say Hastings and New Cross (chosen deliberately), and they were blown up somewhat then there might be a very great rush to decide whether to retaliate against any presumed adversary (albeit one with good taste). With the nukes safely on submarines then we can dither all we like.

For Ed surely; HMS Dither, HMS Confusion, and HMS But I Say

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Plato said:

LOL

Apparently HMS Taxdodger will be sold off to the Swiss navy.

A few years ago the Swiss had 3 merchant vessels registered under their flag.

Odd but true....
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Boost for UKIP from TNS 19% is highest ever poll.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scott_P said:

Four of the last nine YG subsamples have had Lab at 30+

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    weejonnie said:

Boost for UKIP from TNS 19% is highest ever poll.

It's not about the direction of travel it's about the pollster!
  • Options
    Kitten Kong obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr6CyU-Ev_M
    Charles said:

Patrick said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Dair said:

Labour are on a core vote strategy. Dropping Trident 2 would have absolutely no effect on their core vote. Might even get them a LOT of Greens onside and a big chunk of the former Liberals.

Imo, a lot of "working-class" core Labour voters wouldn't take well to any impression of Labour being soft on defence. It was one of the main reasons Thatcher made inroads with those voters.
    If they committed to fitting out HMS Prince Charles and arming it along with thousands of jobs that would bring, they don't need to look soft, they can sell it as "far more suited to the modern threats like ISIS" there little risk of that.

Not persuaded they would lose anything even without the Prince Charles commitment.
    Cameron and the Conservatives have already committed to fitting out the PoW and putting it (*) into service.

(*) I think ships are meant to be referred to as 'her'., but that seems wrong with one called the Prince of Wales?

And oh, those Tories, spending from the Magic Money Tree again. When will they learn.
    Navy ships shouldn't have poncy male or female names but proper mean fighting names like Warspite, Dreadnought, Ironduke, Bloodaxe, Throatripper, Kittenstomper, Deathangel, etc. The RN dropped a bollock with this 'HMS Queen Elisabeth' nonsense. Bah humbug!
    Kittenstomper?
  • Options
    @Survation: POLL ALERT: Survation voting intention poll for @DailyMirror 5pm. Follow @JBeattieMirror for the news. Non-doms & Leader approval in focus.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The first statement of persons nominated comes from Cheltenham:

http://www.cheltenham.gov.uk/downloads/file/4229/notice_of_persons_nominated_and_notice_of_poll
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Lord Boyce on R5 says Ed probably hasn't been privy to latest Navy analysis and that 3 subs is a non goer if you want continuous at sea coverage.

• Options

Tabman said:

You do not seem to understand your subject. Labour commissioned these carriers without the steam power to operate catapults. The incoming govt did a study into the still unproven magnetic catapults but even if they worked they were too expensive. Labour underestimated the time taken to bring the F35 into service but it will do the job when it does.

Yes, I understand that. The ships should have been designed to take CTOL aircraft from the off. Then we could have bought aircraft already available rather than wait for the unproven F-35.

That was where Labour were utter sh*ts. They said the ships were being designed so they could be retrofitted with catapults at a later date. When the coalition asked BAE to convert them, it turned out that had not been a design requirement for many years.

EMALS (the electric, as opposed to steam, launch system) is also far from ready for service.
    I've never understood this ... given aircraft carriers cost squillions and large defence projects always over run, why wasn't the Rolls Royce option factored in from the off?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

I shall be concentrating on The Masters for the next 4 days. Oh to be among the azaleas now that April's here.

I will be following the campaign too, from time to time.

Any bets on ?

I'm on Speith and Dustin J...

I'm on Speith £50 EW @ 15/1
    and Ernie Els for old times @125/1 £20 EW.
    If Bubba shoots a couple of early bogies I might back if his price goes out.
    Patric Reed stands a good chance and the there's always Rory...............but my vibes are not vibrating for him this time.
    Rory's price is miles too short too. Reed a good shout. Not starting on Sky until 8pm - bah.
    I'm following it on PGA.com and the Golf Channel (USA), but it's not like the old days when the BBC would show the entire 4 days from first ball to last. I'll also miss that old whisperer, Peter Allis.
    Afternoon Mr.K, may I ask if a visit to Augusta is on your bucket list, or have you been?
    I would love to go but sadly it's not on my list and no, I've never been.
    I used to live in Augusta and was on the scoring committee at The Masters for several years.

Even HD TV doesn't do justice, particularly the contours on the greens . It is breath taking in its beauty. Even golfing heaven couldn't be this lovely. The club secretary was a neighbor.

Being there is difficult. They closed the patron's list in the late 50s.Patrons frequently will their tickets to a family member. Even practice round tickets are now allocated by raffle. It is the toughest ticket in sports to get, unless you want to pay thousands on StubHub. But when you get there a pimento cheese sandwich and a coke will bring you change from $3.
  • Options

1/50 Lab absolutely buying money in the former. 1/33 in Poplar not quite as good.
    I concur
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624

@Survation: POLL ALERT: Survation voting intention poll for @DailyMirror 5pm. Follow @JBeattieMirror for the news. Non-doms & Leader approval in focus.

Survation? Huzzah!

[Gets ELBOW ready...]
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Charles said:

rullko said:

If Ed M "stabbed his own brother in the back" - it's always nice to see a senior government minister capable of avoiding cliché - then so did David M, right?

How unrelated do you have to be to someone for it no longer to be dishonourable to compete against them? Would cousins be okay?

It was 2 years beforehand, when he encouraged him not to try and unseat Brown "for the good of the party" while secretly calculating it maximised his personal chances of becoming PM.
    That's a serious allegation. What is the source?

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Charles said:

Patrick said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Dair said:

Kittenstomper?
    Scourge of the Siamese.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2015
    Tells us nothing new on trident, but I :love: the title and I :heart: the photoshop.

http://order-order.com/2015/04/09/snp-labour-or-how-i-stopped-quibbling-and-learned-to-love-the-bomb
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Plato said:

LOL

Odd but true....
    About a decade ago the EU fisheries commissioner was an Austrian, IIRC.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    @Plato - Might sound an odd choice, but if you like things a little hot and sweaty, Belize is spectacular for wild life and their Barrier Reef is only second in size to the Aussie's.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,140

MikeK said:

Ballistic missiles are great against a static target, less so if attacking one that is moving around the ocean. And a carrier battle group is hardly likely to hang around a port in wartime. The minute it all kicks off, ships head out to the wide open sea.

However, it's all tracked by satellite. Nothing is hidden, cloud cover is easily pierced by the all seeing eyes.
    Satellites can be utterly useless at observing sea and land surfaces through cloud cover, and might not be passing over the ocean where a battle group is stationed (their orbits are all plotted). Why do you think the US are still operating U2's?
    That's why ocean surveillance sat use radar in some cases at least. Not sure of current ones mind.

• Options
    I've Costa Rica down for the flora so Belize is a great addition - thanx

@Plato - Might sound an odd choice, but if you like things a little hot and sweaty, Belize is spectacular for wild life and their Barrier Reef is only second in size to the Aussie's.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684
    MikeK said:

So Iran is not going to sign a nuclear weapons deal until ALL sanctions are off the table..Lets get rid of Trident..we will never need it..

Remind me how many countries Iran has attacked/invaded since the mad mullahs took over?
    They do it by proxies. Clever, no?
    So none then.

I'm not carrying a torch for Iran, or Russia here, but I am saying that our image of what consitutes 'danger' in the world is seen entirely through the lense of US geopolitical objectives, and distorted accordingly. Iran is no more aggressive than Saudi Arabia (an autocratic monarchy and the world's biggest sponsor of terror) for instance, who've now started bombing Yemen to 'save democracy'!

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Survation are almost always good for Lab and UKIP.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Charles said:

rullko said:

Charles said:

rullko said:

The authors, two of Britain’s leading Labour-supporting journalists, say that contrary to Ed’s claim that he made a last-minute decision to run for the leadership, he spent years plotting behind his brother’s back to beat him. And the book refers to reports that he tricked David into not standing against Gordon Brown before the 2010 General Election to boost his own chances later.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002624/War-Milibands-Full-extent-brothers-feud-exposed.html#ixzz3WpKgRgAZ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Tory surge?? :D
    Or LD or UKIP. They could hardlu be lower.

• Options
    Charles said:

Patrick said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Dair said:

Kittenstomper?
    Best uniform badges ever.

(Pro tip: never type "kitten stomp" into google images)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684

Charles said:

rullko said:

Charles said:

rullko said:

The authors, two of Britain’s leading Labour-supporting journalists, say that contrary to Ed’s claim that he made a last-minute decision to run for the leadership, he spent years plotting behind his brother’s back to beat him. And the book refers to reports that he tricked David into not standing against Gordon Brown before the 2010 General Election to boost his own chances later.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002624/War-Milibands-Full-extent-brothers-feud-exposed.html#ixzz3WpKgRgAZ
    That almost makes me admire him more - I never thought he had it in him!
  • Options

Charles said:

rullko said:

Ed: The Milibands and the making of a Labour leader: Mehdi Hassan / Jim MacIntyre

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ed-Milibands-making-Labour-leader/dp/1849541027/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

[the easiest reference I found on google was from the Mail]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002624/War-Milibands-Full-extent-brothers-feud-exposed.html
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour have been complaining ll day about personal attacks...

@politicshome: Labour goes after Lynton Crosby over tax affairs http://t.co/NzSvioXpHF http://t.co/yxvJP2Yj2g
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    Tabman said:

Tabman said:

You do not seem to understand your subject. Labour commissioned these carriers without the steam power to operate catapults. The incoming govt did a study into the still unproven magnetic catapults but even if they worked they were too expensive. Labour underestimated the time taken to bring the F35 into service but it will do the job when it does.

Yes, I understand that. The ships should have been designed to take CTOL aircraft from the off. Then we could have bought aircraft already available rather than wait for the unproven F-35.

That was where Labour were utter sh*ts. They said the ships were being designed so they could be retrofitted with catapults at a later date. When the coalition asked BAE to convert them, it turned out that had not been a design requirement for many years.

EMALS (the electric, as opposed to steam, launch system) is also far from ready for service.
    I've never understood this ... given aircraft carriers cost squillions and large defence projects always over run, why wasn't the Rolls Royce option factored in from the off?
    Traditional catapults and arrestors are expensive to run and tricky to maintain. You need a strong and reliable source of steam, and the catapults are very difficult to alter for different aircraft weights.

EMALS is designed to overcome these problems, but it is utterly untried. As an aside, a British firm developed their own system, Converteam's EMCAT. But the MOD decided to go for the US version instead, perhaps for good reasons.

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2014/05/whatever-happened-emcat/

For a moment I thought you meant 'Rolls Royce option' to refer to nuke power for the carriers. ;-)
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739
    AndyJS said:
    Why did the Tory get 30 people to nominate him rather than the usual 10? What's the point?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    Carnyx said:

MikeK said:

Ballistic missiles are great against a static target, less so if attacking one that is moving around the ocean. And a carrier battle group is hardly likely to hang around a port in wartime. The minute it all kicks off, ships head out to the wide open sea.

However, it's all tracked by satellite. Nothing is hidden, cloud cover is easily pierced by the all seeing eyes.
    Satellites can be utterly useless at observing sea and land surfaces through cloud cover, and might not be passing over the ocean where a battle group is stationed (their orbits are all plotted). Why do you think the US are still operating U2's?
    That's why ocean surveillance sat use radar in some cases at least. Not sure of current ones mind.

The military ones are multimode. Allegedly.
  • Options
    *** SURGE ALERT ***

@paulhutcheon: I hear the Tories are confident of getting two MPs returned in Scotland: Mundell and Tasmina
    #GE2015
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Mayor Lutfur didn't put up candidates in the 2 Tower Hamlets constituencies. So easy Labour holds now
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Charles said:

rullko said:

Charles said:

rullko said:

And what is their source for this "secretly calculating" or is that a post event rationalisation?

I know you hate but this is pathetic.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    chestnut said:

Survation are almost always good for Lab and UKIP.
    You have gone into overdrive!! Excuses in pre poll!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Scott_P said:

*** SURGE ALERT ***

@paulhutcheon: I hear the Tories are confident of getting two MPs returned in Scotland: Mundell and Tasmina
    #GE2015

Ha! That'll show those mad fools who keep making panda jokes*.

* unless there's a baby panda.
  • Options
    Telegraph

"SNP leaders 'are like Chairman Mao', says Clegg"
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

Plato said:

LOL

Odd but true....
    Admiral Horthy ruled Hungary from 1920-1944. Hungary lost its coastline when the Austro-Hungarian Empire broke up in 1918. (the Hungarian part of the Empire included Croatia).
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good afternoon all. Had a good look at the Ashcroft 10 from yesterday. What I found interesting was that the average swing was 1.95% from Conservative to Labour. That would be the equivalent of the Tories on 36% and Labour on 31%. Very different from all the online pollsters.
  • Options

Charles said:

rullko said:

Charles said:

rullko said:

And what is their source for this "secretly calculating" or is that a post event rationalisation?

I know you hate but this is pathetic.

Take it up with the authors...
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

*** SURGE ALERT ***

#GE2015

Ha! That'll show those mad fools who keep making panda jokes.
    Erm, it's a gag: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmina_Ahmed-Sheikh will be winning Ochil for the SNP
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    TGOHF said:

Telegraph

lots of popular support in their country?
  • Options

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

*** SURGE ALERT ***

#GE2015

Erm, it's a gag: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmina_Ahmed-Sheikh will be winning Ochil for the SNP
    Oh. Right. Yeah, I knew that really.
  • Options
    LOL - well Cleggers was compared to a Nazi in the last GE campaign.
    TGOHF said:

Telegraph

• Options
    Lennon said:

AndyJS said:
    Why did the Tory get 30 people to nominate him rather than the usual 10? What's the point?
    2 reasons, firstly to ensure at least one set of valid nomination papers are lodged and secondly it also cheers up the troops as all 3 will normally be published in the local/regional paper. Many candidates lodge a set of nomination papers only to discover one of the signatories lives in a different constituency. Easily done when e.g. one street is split between 2 seats.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    TGOHF said:

Telegraph

Snazzy dressers..?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

*** SURGE ALERT ***

#GE2015

Oh. Right. Yeah, I knew that really.
    I didn't :-( But tonight's YouGov might have the Tories on 20% and that will shut the pandas up.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Scott_P said:

Labour have been complaining ll day about personal attacks...

@politicshome: Labour goes after Lynton Crosby over tax affairs http://t.co/NzSvioXpHF http://t.co/yxvJP2Yj2g

I don't think any of the big parties other than the SNP seem to have realised that attack ads are utterly pointless.

Sure, you can undermine the person you attack and if you succeed stop voters backing them. But you then have no control over where any disillusioned voters go afterwards.
  • Options
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Goodness me. I want confirmation that they haven't got Labour and Conservatives the wrong way round before I make some preumptuous comments akin to the ones after the YouGov 4% lead a few weeks back.
  • Options
    [Sunil gasps in anticipation]
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Very different from all the online pollsters.

Draw your own conclusions...
  • Options

Tabman said:

Tabman said:

Traditional catapults and arrestors are expensive to run and tricky to maintain. You need a strong and reliable source of steam, and the catapults are very difficult to alter for different aircraft weights.

EMALS is designed to overcome these problems, but it is utterly untried. As an aside, a British firm developed their own system, Converteam's EMCAT. But the MOD decided to go for the US version instead, perhaps for good reasons.

For a moment I thought you meant 'Rolls Royce option' to refer to nuke power for the carriers. ;-)
    Thanks - I learned something today at least!

Just been nostalging on youtube videos of Phantom and Buccaneer carrier landings.
  • Options
    @ProfTomkins: These last two bullet points have put me firmly back in the undecided category #gamechanger http://t.co/1vCMynXhHx
  • Options
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    That Panelbase will look interesting on the Sky News ticker.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    Labour majority... Perhaps the best outcome. At least it keep's the SNP out.
  • Options
    £150 available at 42 on Lab Maj
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Tabman said:

Tabman said:

Thanks - I learned something today at least!

Just been nostalging on youtube videos of Phantom and Buccaneer carrier landings.
    Ooh. And Sea Vixens and Gannets too, one trusts.

• Options
    Update on Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross. This afternoon the SNP had a table in the High St outside the Tolbooth and Sheriff Court with around a dozen people obviously there to promote them.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

Plato said:

LOL

Odd but true....
    Admiral Horthy ruled Hungary from 1920-1944. Hungary lost its coastline when the Austro-Hungarian Empire broke up in 1918. (the Hungarian part of the Empire included Croatia).
    Trieste was an actual part of Austria, so it wasn't the loss of Croatia that took away Austria's coastline.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    BenM said:
    Indeed. Smells strongly of Outlier.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    You can still back Labour Most Seats at 2.98 and lay David Cameron as Prime Minister after the election at 1.84.
  • Options
    BenM said:
    5th one in a row to show Lab in front...
  • Options
    @JBeattieMirror: Lab take 4pt lead in @Survation poll for @DailyMirror Lab 35(+2), Cons 31(-1), UKIP 15 (-3), Lib Dem 9 (+1) and SNP & Greens on 4% #GE2015
  • Options
    Lab on 37 % - only a total numpty could lose the election from here..
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

Plato said:

LOL

Odd but true....
    President Roosevelt asked an aide in 1941 if Hungary, which had just declared war against the United States, was a kingdom or a republic. “A kingdom, Mr. President”, the aide replied. This dialogue followed:

FDR: What’s the King’s name?

Aide: Hungary doesn’t have a King.

FDR: Then who runs the kingdom?

Aide: A Regent by the name of Admiral Miklós Horthy.

FDR: Admiral? Then Hungary must have a powerful navy.

Aide: Hungary has no navy; it doesn’t even have access to the sea.

FDR: Wars are often fought for religious reasons. What’s the main religion there?

Aide: Catholicism, Mr. President. But Admiral Horthy is Protestant.

FDR: Did this admiral declare war on us because of territorial claims then?

Aide: Hungary’s territorial claims are against Romania.

FDR: In that case, did Hungary declare war on Romania?

Aide: No, Hungary and Romania are allies.

FDR: Let me get this straight. Hungary is a kingdom run by a Regent who’s an admiral without a navy, and it is allied with Romania against which it has territorial claims but it has declared war on the U.S. against which it doesn’t.

Aide: That’s right, Mr. President.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

Plato said:

LOL

Odd but true....
    Trieste was an actual part of Austria, so it wasn't the loss of Croatia that took away Austria's coastline.
    I was talking about Hungary! Kingdom of Hungary (within Austria-Hungary) was Hungary, Croatia, Slovakia, Vojvodina in Serbia, and western Romania (Transylvania), with tiny parts of Slovenia and the eastern strip of modern Austria.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739

Lennon said:

AndyJS said:
    2 reasons, firstly to ensure at least one set of valid nomination papers are lodged and secondly it also cheers up the troops as all 3 will normally be published in the local/regional paper. Many candidates lodge a set of nomination papers only to discover one of the signatories lives in a different constituency. Easily done when e.g. one street is split between 2 seats.
    You mean people don't meticulously check the seat specific register in advance of asking people to nominate you like I did then?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

You can still back Labour Most Seats at 2.98 and lay David Cameron as Prime Minister after the election at 1.84.

Not anymore...

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Lucky Guy .. Maybe you should read a little more.. the Iranian Government is suspected of being behind most of the ammunition supplies to the Yemen, Hezbollah and other extremist groups in the Middle East and they still claim the will attack and destroy Israel No links but plenty of info out there if you wish to DYOR..They seem to be able to get other groups to do their dirty work for them.
  • Options
    Feeling rather better about my betting positions this afternoon.

Got to make some cash for those tax rises somehow!
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Plato said:

It be fascinating to know the probably of a viable offspring. Mules are famously sterile, will ligers and tions be so?

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

I believe there was confirmation recently of Neanderthal DNA in humans (to no one's great surprise - if it was possible to have sex, we assumed they would). They did mingle and the only doubt was whether the embryo would be viable.

Clearly it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger#Fertility
  • Options
    Plato said:

It be fascinating to know the probably of a viable offspring. Mules are famously sterile, will ligers and tions be so?

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

I believe there was confirmation recently of Neanderthal DNA in humans (to no one's great surprise - if it was possible to have sex, we assumed they would). They did mingle and the only doubt was whether the embryo would be viable.

Clearly it was.

• Options
    Plato said:

CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

Clearly it was.

This discussion has been closed.