Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Interesting betting on Scotland just opened

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667
    Roger said:

MM

"I suppose OGH has pointed out that Opinium shows that 12% of the LibDems fled the party after the debate reminded them that Clegg was their leader....? "

Have you missed a word?

NOT....?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Labour should be posting this picture everywhere of a Dave and Nicola love in.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/04/ed-miliband-nicola-sturgeon-allegations-damning-labour-snp-david-cameron

Dave does not look to happy but Nicola looks delighted.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,293
    Doddy

"Decrepit John.. Tim was a proven liar.. just what is needed on a betting site..or anywhere else really...tis good he has gone. "

I though on form he was one of the two best posters we've ever had on here...and that's saying something because there are and have been some outstanding ones.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    Roger said:

DavidL

"The second question is whether it was said. This strikes me as vanishingly unlikely. It is the sort of thing you might say to your very closest allies in private. To make such comments to a foreign diplomat you are meeting for the first time would be so far as beyond indiscrete as to be almost unimaginable. Especially when you know civil servants are listening in."

I don't agree at all. Firstly it was meant to be confidential and secondly I've yet to meet two women who get on well that don't know each others inner most secrets within a very short time. Often things much more interesting than who they'd prefer as Prime Minister!

How it became public knowledge might be of interest but my guess is it's just tittle tattle. I'm always amazed by how people want to ingratiate themselves with semi strangers-even journalists-by sharing gossip.

For Nicola lovers I'm afraid the bad news is she's just too gobby!

Sexism from a Labour Luvvie - don't tell Harriet m8, she'll cut off your cojones!
  • Options
    MM.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be clever but I can't understand the sentence and it looks like an interesting fact. Maybe I'm being stupid
  • Options
    taffys said:

London property is a market like any other. There are 250 towers of mainly residential property either on the drawing board or at some stage of construction.

And some point supply will exceed demand and prices will drop. There is some evidence prices are stagnant at best in London already - while wages are increasing and inflation is zero.

Those blocks are not being built for Londoners, even City traders. They are "better than gold" for Arabs, Chinese etc who would have to take a humunguous loss before even, say, a consultant surgeon could afford one. Which they won't: they'll keep hold for better times.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    edited April 2015
    Opinium - Did you watch the debate?

Yes, all of it - 32
    Yes, most of it - 13
    Yes, some of it - 14
    No, none of it - 42

In fact, the average viewing audience was just under 8m - so just under 20% of the adult population. So the number who watched all of it was actually well under 20%.

I guess some may interpret watching clips on the news as watching some of it. But even so it is clear that a very large number of people are lying - people give the answer they think they should. They think the debate was an important / worthy programme to watch so it looks good to say you watched it.

It's just like the poll a few years ago when almost 50% of people said they were going to church over Christmas - when the actual attendance figure was under 10%.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,160
    Mr. City, Miliband's a proven ignoramus over energy, for which he served as a Cabinet minister.

Mr. SMukesh, entirely possible for Labour to make a number of gains in West Yorkshire. Could also face a serious challenge in a few seats as well, though.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,233

Hello peeps. Bit knackered after delivering 2,500 bits of literature over the past three days. Man alive, Torbay has some ridiculously steep bits...

I suppose OGH has pointed out that Opinium shows that 12% of the LibDems fled the party after the debate reminded them that Clegg was their leader....?

He's spoken of little else. A veritable broken record on the subject.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

MM.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be clever but I can't understand the sentence and it looks like an interesting fact. Maybe I'm being stupid

Libdem share went from 8% pre-debate to 7% post debate with Opinium. So a 12.5% drop in the relative number saying they will vote LibDem....

That 14% Wisdom number now requires a 100% relative rise from where they are. So every LibDem voter now has to find another one to take to the polling stations.... File under Tall Order....

• Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    So now we know it was Scotland Office nonsence not the FCO!

This is now a slam dunk for the NATS.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2015
    Opinium Sample:

Watched All TV Debate: 35%
    Watched Most of TV Debate: 13%

That implies a TV audience of about 25 million, so nearly half of the electorate.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/buy-to-let/11510753/Buy-to-let-investors-get-mortgages-till-theyre-aged-105-while-ordinary-homebuyers-are-too-old-in-their-50s.html

Why the Tories are done. Buy-to-let is a scourge on society. Until the Tories step in and take an almighty axe to the sector either by severely restricting mortgages for BTL or by introducing a LVT on second or non-resident property the Tories are going to be out of the game long term. Labour don't offer a solution but they have recognised the problem and for that they will get credit. The Tories are burying their heads in the sand over this issue and long term it buries them.

The tax benefits given to BTL in terms of setting off the full interest costs, repairs and our rather generous CGT regime gives those with capital an unfair advantage and our absurd HB scheme under the last government where the rents were rigged in an upwards direction at the cost of the taxpayer made BTL something of a no brainer.

Reforms to HB have reduced the return somewhat but there is a great deal more to do there. At the moment the opportunity to rent property at public expense is making the cost of housing too high for all of us. Something really needs to be done.

Rent control? Nationalise rented property? Would make a difference in London but what would in do in, say, Stoke?
    1% tax on all residential property would be a start
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Yorkcity said:

Mr. City, Arcadius and Honorius both became emperor. That wasn't necessarily an indication of their worthy leadership skills.

Morris

Yes I was just comparing opposition leaders and the discourse of politics.
    I believe Ed Milliband has had some impact in that regard compared to others.

My memory goes like this :
    Cameron = Big Society Broken Britain
    Howard = can`t remember
    Duncan- Smith- Can`t remember
    Hague - Save the Pound
    Blair - Something about Stakeholders
    That is interesting, I wonder how others remember PM's and Leaders of the Opposition in a single word or sentence.

I remember:
    Major= Honorable Fool
    Blair= The Joker from Batman
    Brown= Hopeless bank manager
    Cameron= Wooster from Jeeves&Wooster

Hague=Save the Pound
    IDS= Blair patsy
    Howard=Reassuring & Deeply Unsettling
    Miliband= Any character from the Big Bang Theory.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/buy-to-let/11510753/Buy-to-let-investors-get-mortgages-till-theyre-aged-105-while-ordinary-homebuyers-are-too-old-in-their-50s.html

Why the Tories are done. Buy-to-let is a scourge on society. Until the Tories step in and take an almighty axe to the sector either by severely restricting mortgages for BTL or by introducing a LVT on second or non-resident property the Tories are going to be out of the game long term. Labour don't offer a solution but they have recognised the problem and for that they will get credit. The Tories are burying their heads in the sand over this issue and long term it buries them.

The tax benefits given to BTL in terms of setting off the full interest costs, repairs and our rather generous CGT regime gives those with capital an unfair advantage and our absurd HB scheme under the last government where the rents were rigged in an upwards direction at the cost of the taxpayer made BTL something of a no brainer.

Reforms to HB have reduced the return somewhat but there is a great deal more to do there. At the moment the opportunity to rent property at public expense is making the cost of housing too high for all of us. Something really needs to be done.

Rent control? Nationalise rented property? Would make a difference in London but what would in do in, say, Stoke?
    1% tax on all residential property would be a start
    A start of what ? Losing the next election ?

Average London house at £500k for a three bedroom in a nothing special area, and they have to pay another 5 grand a year ? Courageous!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Yes, all of it - 32
    Yes, most of it - 13
    Yes, some of it - 14
    No, none of it - 42

In fact, the average viewing audience was just under 8m - so just under 20% of the adult population. So the number who watched all of it was actually well under 20%.

I guess some may interpret watching clips on the news as watching some of it. But even so it is clear that a very large number of people are lying - people give the answer they think they should. They think the debate was an important / worthy programme to watch so it looks good to say you watched it.

It's just like the poll a few years ago when almost 50% of people said they were going to church over Christmas - when the actual attendance figure was under 10%.

Well I agree, however I wonder how many watched it on the internet either live or simply on youtube.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

So use the market, an annual residential tax based of land area rather than land value would rapidly lead people to the conclusion that apartment blocks were a good idea compared to bungalows.

A truly absurd idea, which would place an impossible fiscal burden on rural land. The other conceptual problems with land taxation notwithstanding, the owner occupier of Blackacre, a rural farm of 30 acres, would be charged to tax in excess of the owner occupier of a detached mansion of an acre in Kensington.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MikeL said:

Yes, all of it - 32
    Yes, most of it - 13
    Yes, some of it - 14
    No, none of it - 42

Well I agree, however I wonder how many watched it on the internet either live or simply on youtube.
    I wonder how many had it on in the background while eating dinner, reading the newspaper or playing Fruit Ninja, but count it as "watching".
  • Options
    surbiton said:
    A leak inquiry was a favourite of Sir Humphrey. It buys time with the press and the story quietly dies away.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Which they won't: they'll keep hold for better times.

Woeful and ignorant oversimplification.

Arabs and Chinese people play markets just like anyone else which means they will sometimes take money off the table.

• Options

Indigo said:

So use the market, an annual residential tax based of land area rather than land value would rapidly lead people to the conclusion that apartment blocks were a good idea compared to bungalows.

A truly absurd idea, which would place an impossible fiscal burden on rural land. The other conceptual problems with land taxation notwithstanding, the owner occupier of Blackacre, a rural farm of 30 acres, would be charged to tax in excess of the owner occupier of a detached mansion of an acre in Kensington.
    Did you overlook my careful use of the word "residential" ? Land zoned for farming use would either be on a different (and dramatically smaller rate) or not charged at all.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    MikeL said:

But even so it is clear that a very large number of people are lying

Possibly.

Alternatively, these online panels are stuffed full of political anoraks and party activists trying to influence what's reported.

It's exactly the same thing that became obvious on Yougov last week.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    scotslass said:

The big question is how toxic this will be for the Liberal Democrats outside Scotland. It's a national story so any links to Carmichael will be covered nationally.
  • Options
    Dair said:

scotslass said:

The big question is how toxic this will be for the Liberal Democrats outside Scotland. It's a national story so any links to Carmichael will be covered nationally.
    I think the rest of the country has lost interest, we have been rather naughty here and discussing the other 92% of the country for the past couple of hours, I suppose its almost time to talk about Scotland again ;)
  • Options
    NOW ON SKY NEWS

"However you look at this the NATIONALISTS are at the centre of this election campaign."

Front and centre and more votes for the NATS.
  • Options

I have to admit I haven't looked at all, but I presume Galloway is likely to get back in at GE?

As long as Galloway has control of the local muslim machine he will have no problem.

And I believe he retains that control, since there is a lot of money tied to his celebrity status and his Middle East connections around him to influence the result in his favor, also he is more left wing than Labour and has build a career on defending muslims.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Speedy
    Miliband= Any character from the Big Bang Theory.

Can`t be Penny then.
    Must be Leonard Hofstader, he got the prize though in the end.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,123
    felix said:

Roger said:

DavidL

"The second question is whether it was said. This strikes me as vanishingly unlikely. It is the sort of thing you might say to your very closest allies in private. To make such comments to a foreign diplomat you are meeting for the first time would be so far as beyond indiscrete as to be almost unimaginable. Especially when you know civil servants are listening in."

I don't agree at all. Firstly it was meant to be confidential and secondly I've yet to meet two women who get on well that don't know each others inner most secrets within a very short time. Often things much more interesting than who they'd prefer as Prime Minister!

How it became public knowledge might be of interest but my guess is it's just tittle tattle. I'm always amazed by how people want to ingratiate themselves with semi strangers-even journalists-by sharing gossip.

For Nicola lovers I'm afraid the bad news is she's just too gobby!

Sexism from a Labour Luvvie - don't tell Harriet m8, she'll cut off your cojones!
    I said much the same thing, less explicitly, to him earlier on when he (presumably) insulted female Aberdonians in the fish-processing and retail industry.

If his objection to Ms Sturgeon is that she is Scottish and a woman - and has a fish connection ...

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited April 2015
    MaxPB said:

Sean, if you are redeveloping an existing home and spending capital your yield is going to be much higher than the 3-4% offered in London. Rental yield for your place is going to be what, 8-10%? A 2.5% LVT won't really make that much difference to the long term picture for redevelopers like yourself and you will still get to offset mortgage interest against tax and a favourable capital gains environment. It is an issue for people who buy existing stock for cash, spend a couple of grand on decorating and then put it out for rent.

Like you, I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing, and you would still get a handsome return even if a LVT was put in place.

On whom would this charge to tax fall? Presumably on the freeholder given the contempt displayed for those engaging in the "wrong type" of buy-to-let. Would the freeholder still be charged even if they had twenty years ago demised the land for a term of 999 years to a lessee at a token ground rent? If not, there can be no principled reason why the tax liability shouldn't fall on tenants.
  • Options
    It's exactly the same thing that became obvious on Yougov last week.

The pollsters must be bricking it because the result is going to make somebody look like a serious pillock.

You could see their problem from the debate itself. When Nigel Farage mentioned health tourism people didn't DARE clap. You just can't. There was a huge and pregnant silence, then the usual moral pontification from parties that got a fraction of UKIP's share last time there was a national election.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

It's our National Health Service, not an international health service http://t.co/8yucfmOdIZ #UKIP pic.twitter.com/2uZDqDBWSE

— Vicky (@2tweetaboutit) April 4, 2015
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Secretary of State for Scotland 2008-10 Jim Murphy, Labour. :)
  • Options

Perhaps dear Nicola should run candidates in England.

Slogan: 'taxation without representation'
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    edited April 2015

taffys said:

London property is a market like any other. There are 250 towers of mainly residential property either on the drawing board or at some stage of construction.

And some point supply will exceed demand and prices will drop. There is some evidence prices are stagnant at best in London already - while wages are increasing and inflation is zero.

Those blocks are not being built for Londoners, even City traders. They are "better than gold" for Arabs, Chinese etc who would have to take a humunguous loss before even, say, a consultant surgeon could afford one. Which they won't: they'll keep hold for better times.

Yup. It's a joke. I think UKIP could make a lot of headway in London if they had a British homes for British people policy that introduces a massive LVT for foreign owners who are non-resident for tax purposes. The Tories are too bloody weak to stand up to these cash rich foreign scumbags.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sean, if you are redeveloping an existing home and spending capital your yield is going to be much higher than the 3-4% offered in London. Rental yield for your place is going to be what, 8-10%? A 2.5% LVT won't really make that much difference to the long term picture for redevelopers like yourself and you will still get to offset mortgage interest against tax and a favourable capital gains environment. It is an issue for people who buy existing stock for cash, spend a couple of grand on decorating and then put it out for rent.

Like you, I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing, and you would still get a handsome return even if a LVT was put in place.

On whom would this charge to tax fall? Presumably on the freeholder given the contempt displayed for those engaging in the "wrong type" of buy-to-let. Would the freeholder still be charged even if they had twenty years ago demised the land for a term of 999 years to a lessee at a token ground rent? If not, there can be no principled reason why the tax liability shouldn't fall on tenants.
    In the case of the council tax, which is a proxy for a tax on property value, does the tax not fall on the tenants ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,786

JosiasJessop re:housing.
    You omit the main problem that affects supply. Planning.
    One example. By having requirements such as 40% for "affordable housing" this badly distorts the funding of estates since the buyer of affordable are the housing associations who have much less funds.... Builders got badly burned during the boom times of the noughties with having 40% of their new built estates being almost unsaleable since the "key workers" did not want to buy the "affordable housing" and builders were forced to sell at large losses to the housing associations.... Utter madness. These 40% requirements have been temporarily eased this year.
    Another Planning missdirection of the market arises from the fact that by proscribing these 40% factors and Govt enforced minimum number of housing units per acre, we are not building enough bungalows. Bungalows that would attract retired people out of their houses and provide homes for families.....

Bungalows are the biggest waste of development land possible. Better to have sheltered and managed accommodation for elderly people.
    What if people 60 years old do not want to live in these "sheltered and managed accommodation". Some certainly want a bungalow where they can carry on living independently for up to 30 years. Trying to buck the market leads to massive distortions in what is used.
    The market (either private or public) cannot deliver what people want. The system need to change (but it will not), and people need to change their thinking.
  • Options
    felix said:

scotslass said:

Secretary of State for Scotland 2008-10 Jim Murphy, Labour. :)
    Civil servants aren't replaced when there's a change of govt. :)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Are technicalities all you have in your bag of tricks?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/report-rwanda-and-israel-discuss-contracts-for-refugees-deal/

Israel leading the way in one way to alleviate our immigration problem.
  • Options

Decrepit John.. Tim was a proven liar.. just what is needed on a betting site..or anywhere else really...tis good he has gone.

Careful, Richard.

Laws of libel apply here as much as anywhere. Mike won't appreciate getting sued.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

taffys said:

Yup. It's a joke. I think UKIP could make a lot of headway in London if they had a British homes for British people policy that introduces a massive LVT for foreign owners who are non-resident for tax purposes. The Tories are too bloody weak to stand up to these cash rich foreign scumbags.
    Lord forbid we should allow any wealthy people into the country. Confiscate their homes instead a d and fill them with penniless economic migrants. That'll enrich the country and solve all our financial problems. :)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Did you overlook my careful use of the word "residential" ? Land zoned for farming use would either be on a different (and dramatically smaller rate) or not charged at all.

In which case there will be a massive incentive to put land to alternative use than housing, driving up the cost of the housing further.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

NOW ON SKY NEWS

"However you look at this the NATIONALISTS are at the centre of this election campaign."

Those of a mildly conspiracy theorist nature might be interested in listening to Angela Eagles on Any Questions recorded last night before The Telegraph came out, where she was saying that Nicola Sturgeon wanted a Tory Govt.....

Surely this couldn't have been a pre-co-ordinated talking point. Could it?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    The 2 Eagles, Ed & Yvette and Reeves were not in their constituencies.
    For the others it's their seat.
    Speedy said:

Sights of Shadow Cabinet on Labourdoorstep today....

Khan: Tooting
    Angela Eagle: Harrow East and Harrow West
    Maria Eagle: Aberconwy
    Ed & Yvette: Dewsbury
    Chuka: Streatham
    Mary Creagh: Wakefield (with John Prescott)
    Owen Smith: Pontrypridd
    Tristam: at a NASUWT conference
    Reeves: Keighley
    Dougie: Paisley
    Dugher: Barnsley

If those are not their own seats then it gives you a list of where Labour think they have a fight.

That leaves Harrow East (CON maj 7.1%), Dewsbury (CON maj 2.8%), Keighley (CON maj 6.2%) & Barnsley (LAB maj 30% , typical UKIP vs LAB fight).
    All 3 Tory seats fall with a swing to Labour ranging from 1.4 to 3.6%.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    MaxPB said:

There is a question of principle which advocates of a land value tax must address. Should the liability fall on freeholders or leaseholders, or both, and on what principled basis? There are strong arguments that it should fall on the lessee, which you have failed to answer.
  • Options
    FalseFlag

"http://www.timesofisrael.com/report-rwanda-and-israel-discuss-contracts-for-refugees-deal/

Israel leading the way in one way to alleviate our immigration problem."

Wasn't that a UKIP policy? Send all the 'darky' asylum seekers to 'bongo bongo land?' Why am I not surprised that Netanyahu should have picked it up and run with it.
  • Options
    felix said:

MaxPB said:

taffys said:

Lord forbid we should allow any wealthy people into the country. Confiscate their homes instead a d and fill them with penniless economic migrants. That'll enrich the country and solve all our financial problems. :)
    People who buy up living space and don't live in it? Yes very enriching.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

There is a question of principle which advocates of a land value tax must address. Should the liability fall on freeholders or leaseholders, or both, and on what principled basis? There are strong arguments that it should fall on the lessee, which you have failed to address.
    On the person who writes the tenancy agreement.
  • Options

Indigo said:

In which case there will be a massive incentive to put land to alternative use than housing, driving up the cost of the housing further.
    I don't see how that follows. If you have a bit of farm land you can sit there and make close to nothing from it, or you can apply for a change of use, build a few houses, sell them for a packet, and not care what taxes the future owners subsequently pay on the land.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

There is a question of principle which advocates of a land value tax must address. Should the liability fall on freeholders or leaseholders, or both, and on what principled basis? There are strong arguments that it should fall on the lessee, which you have failed to answer.
    Council Tax is the precedent for a value tax falling on the tenant as I commented earlier.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    MaxPB said:

taffys said:

Go scumbag yourself. UKIP and their policies are already too 'ugly'. Go ask Carswell if you want the truth.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Peter the punter.. Tim claimed, over many posts that he was a Cheshire Land owner who frequently gave wine tasting parties to the local gentry... then it was discovered he was in fact working in an off license in a suburb of LIVERPOOL...bit of a fib..he even complained about his kids never turning off the lights in the west wing of the mansion house..
  • Options
    @Indigo

"I have never been of the opinion that voters make up their minds on the day..."

Well I'm pleased to note you are not one of those who think that, whatever the polls may indicate, on the day voters will contemplate the prospect of Ed (is crap) as PM and be so appalled by the prospect that they will vote for Anybody Else.

That has always seemed to me little more than a belief in magic.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

NOW ON SKY NEWS

Well it was the Nat leader who had the little chat with the Ambassador.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

felix said:

MaxPB said:

taffys said:

The X million quid they paid for the property went into the economy. If they weren't there and someone local bought it a smaller (probably substantially smaller) amount would have gone into the economy. When that property changes hands a huge chunk of stamp duty goes to the government, rather than a smaller one without foreign buyers. I am not unsympathetic to your cause, but the drop in invisible imports would be quite a knock to our already crappy balance of trade.
  • Options

Peter the punter.. Tim claimed, over many posts that he was a Cheshire Land owner who frequently gave wine tasting parties to the local gentry... then it was discovered he was in fact working in an off license in a suburb of LIVERPOOL...bit of a fib..he even complained about his kids never turning off the lights in the west wing of the mansion house..

Maybe, Richard, but it's Mike that gets sued, not you.

Have a care.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

FalseFlag

"http://www.timesofisrael.com/report-rwanda-and-israel-discuss-contracts-for-refugees-deal/

Israel leading the way in one way to alleviate our immigration problem."

Wasn't that a UKIP policy? Send all the 'darky' asylum seekers to 'bongo bongo land?' Why am I not surprised that Netanyahu should have picked it up and run with it.

Nothing to be surprised about. Mizrahi Jews who form a majority in Israel have not produced even one Prime Minister. All PMs have been Ashkenazis, who have always been a minority in Israel.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    MaxPB said:

On the person who writes the tenancy agreement.

So the land value tax should not be charged on any property let before the relevant taxing statute is passed, which would ensure the tax is easily avoided for a very long time to come? Otherwise, you are still left with the problem of the freeholder who has "imposed terms" of a long lease at a marginal ground rent and is then faced with a charge to land value tax, which should properly fall on the lessee. In any event, this criterion provides no answer where one party doesn't accept the other's standard offer en bloc. In fact, it can have no application where any term of the lease (including the length of the term of years absolute, the level of rent service and the contents of any covenant) is negotiated between the parties. In other words, it is a wholly unprincipled basis for determining on whom the charge to tax should fall.
  • Options
    UKIP and their policies are already too 'ugly'.#

Too ugly to admit to a po-faced moralist like yourself perhaps (let's hope you aren;t a canvasser).

Not too ugly for the ballot box though.

And that's the problem for the pollsters, and just about everybody else.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Roger if you are happy sharing your time with a liar then thats ok..says something about you tho
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,282
    Tonight Opinium - EICIPM
  • Options

@Indigo

"I have never been of the opinion that voters make up their minds on the day..."

Well I'm pleased to note you are not one of those who think that, whatever the polls may indicate, on the day voters will contemplate the prospect of Ed (is crap) as PM and be so appalled by the prospect that they will vote for Anybody Else.

I was sure I read something recently about a alarmingly high proportion of voters who decide on their way to the polling station. But my Google-fu is weak....

• Options
    edited April 2015
    taffys said:

Too ugly to admit to a po-faced moralist like yourself perhaps (let's hope you aren;t a canvasser).

Ha ... tell all that to Carswell. Are you one of his 'ugly nativists'? He is the UKIP MP not me.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Two weeks ago Opinium gave the Tories a 3% lead so no sign of swingback there.
  • Options

@Indigo

What I do suspect happens, which might nett out to the same result, is that voters tell whoppers to pollsters to try and put pressure on their party. We know this happens at by-elections when voters talk about "sending a message" and then vote for their main party come the next GE. So I see no reason why a grumpy Tory might not be telling pollster they plan to vote for either Labour/LD/Kipper to put the wind up the national party when they see bad polls, but actually intends to vote Tory all along.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

felix said:

MaxPB said:

taffys said:

On the home alone they pay a huge dollop to the Exchequer in stamp duty. Once you own property in a country all sorts of other local and national taxes kick in. I could go on. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Indigo said:

In the case of the council tax, which is a proxy for a tax on property value, does the tax not fall on the tenants ?

Council tax is notionally assessed by reference to property values at the date of the last valuation, but it is a charge levied for local government services. It is therefore obviously right that the general rule is that council tax falls on the tenant. A land value tax, by contrast, seems to be intended to be a tax on the beneficial enjoyment of land. It is far less easy to say a priori on whom it should fall, without considering the particular circumstances of an individual tenement.
  • Options

taffys said:

Ha ... tell all that to Carswell. Are you one of his 'ugly nativists'? He is the UKIP MP not me.
    Candidate.
  • Options

He might have had an allotment in Runcorn. Such liberality with the actuality is what sometimes gets party leaders off the hook when they have made the odd injudicious remark in private
  • Options
    Lib Dems do the best scandals

Liberal Democrat activist uses local party HQ to film BONDAGE and PORN movies

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/liberal-democrat-activist-uses-local-5460386#ICID=sharebar_twitter
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2015
    Christ I'll be glad when this election comes, alot of bets on Scotland!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,783

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/liberal-democrat-activist-uses-local-5460386#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Respect.

So to speak...
  • Options
    I note JackW's ARSE is now showing FOUR UKIP seats - Thurrock, Thanet, Rochester and Clacton ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    rcs1000 said:

Respect.

So to speak...
    When I watch bondage porn, I feel respect.

Amongst other things...

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Respect.

So to speak...
    When I watch bondage porn, I feel respect.

Amongst other things...

I'll get my coat.
    I wonder if she is going to get punished and disciplined by the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    This is all getting really, really surreal.

First Kezia Dugdale's dad admonishes her on twitter.

Now Malcolm Bruce just said, without a flicker of irony, on BBC Reporting Scotland that "a vote for the SNP makes a Tory government more likely".

He really did.
  • Options
    Watched BBC Network news and then the Scottish version. This story is going ever more pro-NAT. It has turned around totally.

Now there are only a few - perhaps very very few - Scotland Office officials who qualify for the description "senior civil servant". This could be one of the very rare leak enquiries which actually get a result!

The Liberals in charge of the Scotland Office shop could soon find things getting very hot.

Conclusion - NATS dominate publciity fot eh day - again - and Strugeon is vindicated.
  • Options

We need more people like this in Parliament, then we wouldn't get all these stupid porn laws being put on the statute book.
    And who doesn't like a bit of lesbian bondage?
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Watched BBC Network news and then the Scottish version. This story is going ever more pro-NAT. It has turned around totally.

Now there are only a few - perhaps very very few - Scotland Office officials who qualify for the description "senior civil servant". This could be one of the very rare leak enquiries which actually get a result!

The Liberals in charge of the Scotland Office shop could soon find things getting very hot.

Conclusion - NATS dominate publciity fot eh day - again - and Strugeon is vindicated.

Good work, Nicola !
  • Options
    Dair said:

Now Malcolm Bruce just said, without a flicker of irony, on BBC Reporting Scotland that "a vote for the SNP makes a Tory government more likely".

He really did.

Oh My That's a keeper.
  • Options
    Dair said:

He really did.

If the SNP didn't exist, Labour would be on course for a majority right now. So there may be an element of truth to that.
  • Options
    Is this the same Malcolm Bruce in coalition with the Conservatives :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  • Options
    scotslass said:

How has Sturgeon been vindicated again. Must have missed it.
  • Options
    Dair said:

He really did.

But it is true - certainly makes them the largest party.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is this the same Malcolm Bruce in coalition with the Conservatives :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Got damn you need to go on a diet, what with those 15 double chins....

Titters...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dair said:

He really did.

If the SNP didn't exist, Labour would be on course for a majority right now. So there may be an element of truth to that.
    In his constituency a vote for the SNP makes a Labour Gov't more likely, any other vote does not. Even a random voter voting for Labour there makes a Labour Gov't less likely.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Straight talk from Peter Hitchens... regarding Farage and the EU https://t.co/LRSOBLpCPE

— MIKE DAWSON - UKIP (@MICHAEL13056654) April 4, 2015
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Why, I do believe that may be the same Malcolm Bruce whose party used the votes they got to prop up a Tory government.

Shurely Shome Mishtake.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Titters...
    Down to 14 stone 11 from just over 16 stone at Christmas, diet is going well thanks :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dair said:

He really did.

How long has Oceania been at war with Eurasia?
  • Options
    The die is cast now for the SNP - they will hose up everywhere, I laid out of Coatbridge last night and so it's a surefire thing that they will sweep the whole of Scotland now.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Dair said:

He really did.

A vote for the SNP reduces Tory numbers and reduces the number of potential Tory Allies as the Libs get a wiping in Scotland. At the same time it makes no difference to Ed Miliband's chance of being PM whether a seat returns a Labour or SNP MP.

So it is entirely untrue.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Titters...
    Down to 14 stone 11 from just over 16 stone at Christmas, diet is going well thanks :)
    Ah I was only joking. Congratulations! :)
  • Options
    Dair said:

surbiton said:

Dair said:

He really did.

A vote for the SNP reduces Tory numbers and reduces the number of potential Tory Allies as the Libs get a wiping in Scotland. At the same time it makes no difference to Ed Miliband's chance of being PM whether a seat returns a Labour or SNP MP.

You did not answer the "largest party" question. Each SNP win from Labour increase sthe Tory chances of being the largest party. It is a mathematical fact !
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    Dair said:

surbiton said:

Dair said:

He really did.

No, because the LDs will go with Con rather than Lab + SNP.

Con 290
    Lab 270
    LD 30
    SNP 40

Cameron is PM

Con 290
    Lab 290
    LD 30
    SNP 20

Miliband is PM

Those 20 seats switching between Lab and SNP will decide who becomes PM.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Dair said:

surbiton said:

Dair said:

He really did.

And all the right have to do is just sit back grab the popcorn and watch the lefties shred each other over a memo that really makes little difference either way.

Camerons a lucky general and their election team must be wondering why they bother as the other side are doing all the grunt work for them.

• Options
    The news on the ground from Coventry, is that the Conservatives are confident in Solihull and not so confident in Nuneaton by the way.

Which tallies with Ashcroft.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Dair said:

surbiton said:

Dair said:

He really did.

You did not answer the "largest party" question. Each SNP win from Labour increase sthe Tory chances of being the largest party. It is a mathematical fact !
    It's irrelevant who is the largest party. The party that commands a majority of the House gets to form the government.

Period.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Dair said:

surbiton said:

Dair said:

He really did.

No, because the LDs will go with Con rather than Lab + SNP.

Con 290
    Lab 270
    LD 30
    SNP 40

Cameron is PM

Con 290
    Lab 290
    LD 30
    SNP 20

Miliband is PM

Those 20 seats switching between Lab and SNP will decide who becomes PM.
    Scottish Labour have never brought up that argument in public though, their argument has always been the party with most seats gets to form the Government, not "The largest party gets to do a deal with the Lib Dems." Wonder why that is :D ?
This discussion has been closed.