Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Debate day – some facts and figures

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Debate day – some facts and figures

Like the first debate in 2010 the location is Manchester. This time at Media City Salford Quays pic.twitter.com/EQmo5pR9kO

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited April 2015
    Quite a few of the media and entourages are annoyed to find the trains from Mancland to London are out of commission tomorrow.

But they cheer up when they find to get back to London from Manchester, they are being advised to go via the great city of Sheffield instead
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Second :(
  • Options
    Images where the before is after the after are a pet peeve of mine.
  • Options
    Uh oh, the spirit of Brian Cowen lives on

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/583594687530958848
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

But they cheer up when they find to get back to London from Manchester, they are being advised to go via the great city of Sheffield instead

Indeed, could have been via Birmingham New Street.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    OT What were the equivalent figures from last night's You Gov when the conservatives re-took the lead?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So Nigel Farage has supposedly done no mock debates, has undertaken little preparation and is going to enjoy a couple of G&Ts beforehand?

Something tells me that we're being taken for a ride here.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    felix said:

OT What were the equivalent figures from last night's You Gov when the conservatives re-took the lead?

E&W Con 37 Lab 34. For England only add a 1 point swing from Lab to Con, maybe 2. I do wish YouGov would do England only rather than E&W.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    antifrank said:

So Nigel Farage has supposedly done no mock debates, has undertaken little preparation and is going to enjoy a couple of G&Ts beforehand?

He's on Question Time every other week, surely that counts
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Indeed.
  • Options
    Anyone know if the debates will be on youtube again? I have no desire to touch the ITV player.
  • Options
    Farage was well prepared for his debates with Clegg last year, so Antifrank's right.
  • Options
    That said he was dire on Radio 4 this morning, perhaps he's doing a rope-a-dope strategy today.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

felix said:

E&W Con 37 Lab 34. For England only add a 1 point swing from Lab to Con, maybe 2. I do wish YouGov would do England only rather than E&W.
    Thx - I must have missed the thread on it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anyone know if the debates will be on youtube again? I have no desire to touch the ITV player.

Not sure, it'll be live on the BBC iplayer if you can view it over there.

(and Sky News too)
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Scottish Labour are taking an understated approach to the SNP threat:

http://www.scottishlabour.org.uk/pages/bombshell/

The 1992 Conservatives want their bombs back though.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

That said he was dire on Radio 4 this morning, perhaps he's doing a rope-a-dope strategy today.

It's less acceptable to have a couple of G&Ts before the Today programme so perhaps his normal preparation process was disrupted.
  • Options

RobD said:

(and Sky News too)
    Ah, the iPlayer will suffice.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,719
    This debate is the first thing I've wanted to watch on ITV (other than the weather forecast of course) for several years.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,455

For those wot missed it last night.

Monthly "Super-ELBOW" for March 2015: Lab 33.6 (+0.1), Con 33.5 (+1.1), UKIP 14.0 (-0.5), LD 7.7 (nc), Grn 5.6 (-0.7)

Lab lead slashed by 1.1% from 1.2% to only 0.1%
    Cons on their highest monthly score since ELBOW started
    UKIP on their lowest score since August

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/583381055467614208

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Also in last night's YouGov some encouraging internals, approval now just -10 and the Tories have a net +60 approval from their 2010 vote, quite a high level for them.

Another one on blame for cuts in "local services" which has shifted decisively from net +19 Central government to just +10 Central government. Could be evidence that people don't blame the current government for the cuts and the gap between "current government" and "previous Labour government" will have widened again should the question be asked.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

(and Sky News too)
    Both BBC News and Sky News are simulcasting it
  • Options
    edited April 2015

RobD said:

RobD said:

(and Sky News too)
    Both BBC News and Sky News are simulcasting it
    I'll watch it on the BBC (since my IP-busting software lets me use iPlayer.. :naughty: )
  • Options
    Thank you - these are far more useful and informative than single-poll commentaries which tend to give a misleading impression of trends.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I like this from Farage's opponent in S Thanet

https://twitter.com/willscobie/status/583599778426036225
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Today's Populus -EICIPM
  • Options
    Populus is the Gold Standard!

Hell no!
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    "UKIP’s vote will be squeezed where it is not in contention [...] The Cleggasm did happen – but not in seats where it was going to affect the result."

What happens this time will depend on the size of the gasm. If the post-debate polls put UKIP in the lead or nearly in the lead (not at all unimaginable), and then the front pages on Fri Sat and Sun carry big photos of Farage, with headlines such as "CAN HE WIN?", "UKIP PREDICTED TO WIN 100 SEATS", and "UKIP TIPPED TO HOLD BALANCE IN HUNG PARLIAMENT", then the relative showings and pollings of other parties locally aren't going to matter much.

In the aftermath of the debate, UKIP are likely to poll aove 20% in some polls. Very probably ones with crap methodologies, but that's not that relevant.

I wonder what % of the electorate in marginals actually know they live in a marginal and if they do, what kind. Which isn't to say that you have to know something for it to affect your behaviour. But still.
  • Options
    Huzzah, Paddy Power have paid out early on some General Election bets.
  • Options

I went onto their online chat yesterday to get them to settle the party leaders going into the election and John Bercow. Well done to them for doing that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    John_N said:

"UKIP’s vote will be squeezed where it is not in contention [...] The Cleggasm did happen – but not in seats where it was going to affect the result."

What happens this time will depend on the size of the gasm. If the post-debate polls put UKIP in the lead or nearly in the lead (not at all unimaginable), and then the front pages on Fri Sat and Sun carry big photos of Farage, with headlines such as "CAN HE WIN?", "UKIP PREDICTED TO WIN 100 SEATS", and "UKIP TIPPED TO HOLD BALANCE IN HUNG PARLIAMENT", then the relative showings and pollings of other parties locally aren't going to matter much.

In the aftermath of the debate, UKIP are likely to poll aove 20% in some polls. Very probably ones with crap methodologies, but that's not that relevant.

I wonder what % of the electorate in marginals actually know they live in a marginal and if they do, what kind. Which isn't to say that you have to know something for it to affect your behaviour. But still.

If you're following a strategy of backing UKIP on the SPIN, take profit before the GE happens I reckon. Personally I reckon its a technical buy but I'm staying out.
  • Options

The £300 was nice to get back.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I went onto their online chat yesterday to get them to settle the party leaders going into the election and John Bercow. Well done to them for doing that.
    Cheers.

I guess the big question is, will Paddy Power payout early on the General Election?

If they don't, you know it is too close to call.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

Is this actually real? With a smiley face? Awkward.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Monthly "Super-ELBOW" for March facts and figures:

There were 51 polls with fieldwork end-dates between 1st March and 31st March, compared with only 43 in each of February and January. Total sample 64,789.

The Tories are on their highest monthly score since the ELBOW series started
    Labour's monthly lead has been slashed from 1.2% in Feb to 0.1% in March (rounded)
    Despite this, Labour on their highest monthly score since December
    LibDems unchanged from Feb (to 2 decimals!), and on their highest level since October
    UKIP are on their lowest monthly score since August
    Greens are on their lowest monthly score since November

twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/583381055467614208/photo/1
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

He ought to take a tip from Enoch.

During my BBC News day ahead of Feb 1974 election Enocch Powell came into Broadcasting House for a Today interview. As he was being taken from the green room to the studio he was asked if he wanted to pop into the loo. His response "No. I think better on a full bladder"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If you're following a strategy of backing UKIP on the SPIN, take profit before the GE happens I reckon. Personally I reckon its a technical buy but I'm staying out.

I'm planning to be out by Fri lunchtime, or by Sun afternoon at the latest.
    The Sportingindex spread of 5-7 seats is bound to hurtle upwards, post-debate. Won't surprise me if it touches 50 before the holiday weekend is over.
    I don't have any particular view on how UKIP will do in the election itself.
  • Options
    felix said:

Thank you - these are far more useful and informative than single-poll commentaries which tend to give a misleading impression of trends.
    You're welcome!

Will be away in Holland during Easter, but hope to publish the Easter ELBOW (week-ending 5th April) by Tuesday at the latest!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Today's Populus -EICIPM

What were the numbers?
  • Options

felix said:

You're welcome!

Will be away in Holland during Easter, but hope to publish the Easter ELBOW (week-ending 5th April) by Tuesday at the latest!
    The Netherlands.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Stupid/obvious question, but what time is the debate?!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Today's Populus -EICIPM

What were the numbers?
    L 34, C 32, Ukip 15, LD 9, Gr 5
  • Options

He ought to take a tip from Enoch.

During my BBC News day ahead of Feb 1974 election Enocch Powell came into Broadcasting House for a Today interview. As he was being taken from the green room to the studio he was asked if he wanted to pop into the loo. His response "No. I think better on a full bladder"
    Well there are those who said Enoch Powell was always full of piss and wind.
  • Options

Ouch! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. He's saying "We're down to 5/1! Put a bet on us!"
    I mean yes, it's funny, but it's a disgraceful way for a politician to behave.
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Posts: 103
    antifrank said:

He knows the game is up for UKIP. This election is going to end in disaster and with no real ground gained for them - apart from a couple of traitors who are going to live to regret their decision. My prediction is UKIP will cease to exist before the next election.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Stupid/obvious question, but what time is the debate?!

8pm
  • Options
    shadsy's boss seems admirably sensible:

Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics · 1m1 minute ago
    This letter has gone to The Daily Telegraph today from Ladbrokes CEO Jim Mullen

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBljnPtWIAAi208.jpg
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Today's Populus -EICIPM

What were the numbers?
    L 34, C 32, Ukip 15, LD 9, Gr 5
    Thx. Obviously an outlier ;)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited April 2015
    Is there a market on which will score higher overall for third place - Lib Dems or UKIP?

I know all the polls say UKIP but I have a feeling LD's may just snatch it and wonder what the odds are.

EDIT: On vote share, not seats. Obviously LD's should be strong favourites on seats vs UKIP but not so much vs SNP.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

felix said:

You're welcome!

The Netherlands.
    Amsterdam is in North Holland :sunglasses:
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    ITN coverage of tonight's leaders' mass debate in public is embarrassingly inept.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    antifrank said:

Meanwhile, Scottish Labour are taking an understated approach to the SNP threat:

http://www.scottishlabour.org.uk/pages/bombshell/

The 1992 Conservatives want their bombs back though.

It's such a comical method of attack. Regardless of any truth they're trying to appeal to voters that already vote SNP, have put the SNP in government twice and haven't experienced anything but growing positivity in the Scottish Government.

You don't beat a popular government with scare stories. It just cannot possibly work.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    antifrank said:

It is...shame Ladbrokes as a business is a steaming pile of poo. Mullen until a few months ago was head of Ladbrokes Digital, an area where they have been particularly poor.
  • Options

Is there a market on which will score higher overall for third place - Lib Dems or UKIP?

I know all the polls say UKIP but I have a feeling LD's may just snatch it and wonder what the odds are.

EDIT: On vote share, not seats. Obviously LD's should be strong favourites on seats vs UKIP but not so much vs SNP.

Yes

5/2 on the Lib Dems

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-votes-ukip-v-lib-dem
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

antifrank said:

It is...shame Ladbrokes as a business is a steaming pile of poo. Mullen until a few months ago was head of Ladbrokes Digital, an area where they have been particularly poor.
    They're not as bad as coral.

You'd have thought they'd have this bookmaking business figured out by now.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Paddy Power Politics ‏@pppolitics 3m3 minutes ago
    Weakest Link Special, tonight at 8pm on ITV. #leadersdebate
  • Options
    Pong said:

antifrank said:

Coral are my favourite bookie in this election and not just for that Pandas bet.
  • Options
    I can't believe I once tipped Tristam Hunt as the next Labour leader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-3_ytSnSEc&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    edited April 2015
    Pong said:

antifrank said:

None of the original bookies have coped with the switch to online.... Ladbrokes is the weirdest one as they had very good digital people back in the late 1990's and a few patents that made doing things very difficult for everyone else.

They really (and I mean) really dropped the ball around 2000...
  • Options
    "Dave, you ARE the Weakest Link! Goodbye!"
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Posts: 103

Hell no!

Serious question: why do people bother with populus? I don't know much about them, but I've seen comments all week suggesting polls like this would follow favouring Labour. Sure enough it happens and everyone is rightfully dismissing their methods.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Pong said:

antifrank said:

The likes of Ladbrokes and Coral are in big trouble. Not only have the likes of Paddy Power and Bet365 come on strong, we will soon see Pinnacle Sports (at one time the biggest online bookie in the world) back in the market fully licensed under new ownership and the big beast in the online poker world, PokerStars, have this week just opened their online sports book.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pong said:

antifrank said:

Coral are my favourite bookie in this election and not just for that Pandas bet.
    So long as their creditors don't pull the plug before May 8th.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited April 2015
    trublue said:

Hell no!

Serious question: why do people bother with populus? I don't know much about them, but I've seen comments all week suggesting polls like this would follow favouring Labour. Sure enough it happens and everyone is rightfully dismissing their methods.
    Populus are highly respected.

Their boss worked for David Cameron, they were the in house pollsters for Better Together, and their private polls got the indyref spot on.

Populus phone polls were very good, especially at the last election, it was gutting that the Times dumped them as their pollster in 2013.

All pollsters have house effects, that is wise to look at polls in a global sense, and not get over excited by just one poll.

See Saturday night and people overreacted to one YouGov poll
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    IPSA...on ZHC contracts in parliament.

“The MP is the employer, it is a matter for them whether they choose to use a zero-hours contract.”

Apparently according to Tristram Hunt, IPSA isn't fit for purpose. Well who set it up?
  • Options
    Dame Tessa Jowell has opened up a huge lead in the race to be Labour’s candidate for London Mayor — winning more than double the support of her closest rival.

A poll published today shows that the former culture secretary is now backed by 40 per cent of Labour supporters who have an opinion, her highest total yet. None of the three London MPs also in the race — Diane Abbott, Sadiq Khan and David Lammy — managed to win more than 20 per cent backing.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/mayor/tessa-jowell-has-twice-the-support-of-her-rivals-to-be-labour-choice-for-mayor-10151515.html
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    trublue said:

Hell no!

Well, They did have the two main parties tied on Monday. Also a tied in mid-March, and another tie in mid-February.

But I guess you are on to something - out of 26 Populus polls so far this year, 23 have been Lab leads.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I reckon Farage and Sturgeon will get a boost from the debates tonight. And that both the SNP and UKIP will get a small boost in the polls. UKIP will do so particularly at the expense of the Tories.

Cameron has won overall though by getting the debates out of the way early. There's no denying that.

The one thing the Tories want in the campaign is control. Control the agenda, keep their message precise. A debate right at the end of the campaign would've been an uncontrollable event. A four-piece debate with Miliband, Clegg and Farage, would've been little short of disastrous for the Tories.

The whole thing has undoubtedly worked in Cameron's favour.

Overall, I still think the Tories will be slightly ahead in the GE vote and that Labour will be slightly ahead in the seats. Although the economic news has been kind to the Tories so far; that bodes well for them.
  • Options

Dame Tessa Jowell has opened up a huge lead in the race to be Labour’s candidate for London Mayor — winning more than double the support of her closest rival.

A poll published today shows that the former culture secretary is now backed by 40 per cent of Labour supporters who have an opinion, her highest total yet. None of the three London MPs also in the race — Diane Abbott, Sadiq Khan and David Lammy — managed to win more than 20 per cent backing.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/mayor/tessa-jowell-has-twice-the-support-of-her-rivals-to-be-labour-choice-for-mayor-10151515.html

Tessa is part of my mayoral portfolio. Her and Khan. I've even had a sniff of Lammy, but not Abbott - if I was a bookie I'd be top price on her for sure.
  • Options

IPSA...on ZHC contracts in parliament.

“The MP is the employer, it is a matter for them whether they choose to use a zero-hours contract.”

Apparently according to Tristram Hunt, IPSA isn't fit for purpose. Well who set it up?

I saw Superman sweeping the street this morning. He told me he wasn't happy with his Zero Powers Contract.
  • Options
    trublue said:

Hell no!

Perhaps they've got it absolutely right? Who knows....

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tessa is part of my mayoral portfolio. Her and Khan. I've even had a sniff of Lammy, but not Abbott - if I was a bookie I'd be top price on her for sure.
    If it's Jowell, I'm voting for Anybody Else.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stick your money on Feargal Sharkey at 50/1 with Shadsy, Feargal is up for the battle, he's got a good heart, you know
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Stick your money on Feargal Sharkey at 50/1 with Shadsy, Feargal is up for the battle, he's got a good heart, you know
    He was UK Number One on my 10th Birthday :)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    trublue said:

antifrank said:

He knows the game is up for UKIP. This election is going to end in disaster and with no real ground gained for them - apart from a couple of traitors who are going to live to regret their decision. My prediction is UKIP will cease to exist before the next election.
    Yes, I quite agree, under a million votes last time, probably around 4 million this time, no MPs before, probably between 2 and 5 this time, and a potential EU referendum in two years time, I can just see them fade away before my eyes.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't recommend putting any money on a man who lamented "it never happens to me".
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Who will be declared the winner tonight?

Favourite has to be Cameron as leading in the polls.

I think Farage might be squashed tonight. I hope he is, the others now have plenty of ammo on him.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't recommend putting any money on a man who lamented "it never happens to me".
    Feargal Sharkey win the mayoral race for London? He can't even beat his cousin at Subbeteo.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    trublue said:

Hell no!

I think you can only judge the poll "favours" Labour once you know the outcome of the GE - all you can say with certainty at the moment is the poll "shows a lead for" Labour, which may or may not be inaccurate. Not saying that I have a strong view on whether Populus have it right or not, but rejecting a dataset because it doesn't match other datasets is probably not smart. Apart from anything else, if you can model why and how it should diverge from other pollsters, you can adjust for that perceived bias.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Indigo said:

trublue said:

antifrank said:

Yes, I quite agree, under a million votes last time, probably around 4 million this time, no MPs before, probably between 2 and 5 this time, and a potential EU referendum in two years time, I can just see them fade away before my eyes.

"no MPs before, probably between 2 and 5 this time"

How many PDTs?

• Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

It's Going To Happen!
  • Options
    Incidentally, I have been (heavily) involved in organising the printing of the campaign leaflets for a certain political party. Blinking heck, what a logistics operation.

I defy anybody to stare at 20-odd million campaign leaflets and the workload involved and ever vote for that party again! :)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    We're having a debate tonight, but on what policy?

AFAIK, no major political party has yet published their manifesto. I have no idea when they intend to do so either.
  • Options

Is this actually real? With a smiley face? Awkward.

This is the first literature that I have seen -anywhere- for labour in Thanet S

I am out and about this weekend so I will try and post an update as i know many of you have a financial interest on this seat .
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2015
    A thought crossed my mind -The two nationalist party leaders, Wood and Sturgeon, may both fare quite well ‘at home’ in the debates, but register virtually no movement in the national polls which I suspect will be dwarfed by the major 3

Are they reliant on tonight's ‘worm’, or is there an alternative measure in place for quick post debate analysis ?

(apols in advance if this is a daft question)
  • Options
    trublue said:

(Farage) knows the game is up for UKIP. This election is going to end in disaster and with no real ground gained for them - apart from a couple of traitors who are going to live to regret their decision. My prediction is UKIP will cease to exist before the next election.

With polls showing that people think immigration is one of the top two issues facing the country, along with the economy and ahead of health? I suspect few who aren't "true blue" are going to feel after tonight's debate that Farage didn't whup Cameron's arse.

Not to mention the message the British people gave to the coalition and to the Labour Party by placing UKIP first in the euros. (As it happens, I don't agree with that message, but that doesn't mean it wasn't sent.)
  • Options

A thought crossed my mind -The two nationalist party leaders, Wood and Sturgeon, may both fare quite well ‘at home’ in the debates, but register virtually no movement in the national polls which I suspect will be dwarfed by the major 3

Are they reliant on tonight's ‘worm’, or is there an alternative measure in place for quick post debate analysis ?

I'm partaking in two instant polls tonight. I think there maybe 5 different pollsters at it tonight.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Fenster said:

Incidentally, I have been (heavily) involved in organising the printing of the campaign leaflets for a certain political party. Blinking heck, what a logistics operation.

I defy anybody to stare at 20-odd million campaign leaflets and the workload involved and ever vote for that party again! :)

I've recently had the Labour mailshot through with five "pledges".

Nothing about controlling immigration though.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,049
    edited April 2015
    BenM said:

Who will be declared the winner tonight?

Favourite has to be Cameron as leading in the polls.

I think Farage might be squashed tonight. I hope he is, the others now have plenty of ammo on him.

I'm still going with Sturgeon. Some in England will like her attacks on Cameron and Ed, and even if they don't like the idea of the SNP dictating to everyone else in a new parliament, she is impressive and new to many of those watching so in purely debate terms could swing it.

Also, I hope the pundits who want to get their 'no one really cares about the debates'/'the debates don't matter' stuff out the way now ahead of time, just to save the energy later.
    Indigo said:

trublue said:

antifrank said:

My sarcasm meter is off the charts here! I think we're reaching critical levels.

Honestly, a couple of years ago I didn't think UKIP would get any MPs, and it might be a struggle to maintain momentum for a push for actual MPs in 2020. I still have a bet that they will win less than 5 which I am not worried about losing. But even if the full level of their potential is down a little on where it seemed about 6-8 months ago, they are in line for a big improvement, which even if there are disappointments (for instance, Farage not getting a seat) they are clearly in a better position to keep going with hope than was the case a few years ago.

And now to set the DVR for the debates. Not getting to watch it live should be good practice for election night, as I'm doing the assisting with the count thing, so will have to be able to live with not following the coverage as it happens.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Corby: what do people think about 3/1 on a Con Re-Gain?

I reckon this would be about 1/2 a Con Hold if there hadn't been a by-election (maybe 4/6 if Mensch had stood down at the GE).

Clearly the price should be much bigger now with Lab incumbency but is 3/1 too big?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,004

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Feargal Sharkey win the mayoral race for London? He can't even beat his cousin at Subbeteo.
    Fergal Sharkey is also racist rhyming slang nowadays
  • Options

Corby: what do people think about 3/1 on a Con Re-Gain?

I reckon this would be about 1/2 a Con Hold if there hadn't been a by-election (maybe 4/6 if Mensch had stood down at the GE).

Clearly the price should be much bigger now with Lab incumbency but is 3/1 too big?

Lab had a 10% lead with Lord A last October, with UKIP on 21% at the time.

If UKIP are indeed on the slide, and the Tories are rising would be worth a punt
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,049

AFAIK, no major political party has yet published their manifesto. I have no idea when they intend to do so either.

Maybe that's intentional? Like they wanted the party leaders to be able to react on the fly, and the manifestos will be hastily rewritten to make it so before publication?

I wouldn't put it past one or two of the parties.
  • Options

Since when has electioneering been about appealing to voters' intellects?
    It's 95% about presentation and emotions.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

I'm partaking in two instant polls tonight. I think there maybe 5 different pollsters at it tonight.

Cheers TSE.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,070
    How long is the debate tonight?

My bet is that this will not have anything like the impact of 2010 because the seven way debate means no-one is getting that much time. I also suspect that the most successful strategy is to be eminently positive: if you don't get your own message across, then people won't remember you as being particularly brilliant. In many ways, this should benefit those with simple messages: i.e. the Scots and Welsh nationalists and possibly the Greens.

Like everyone else here, I suspect Farage will perform reasonably well: that being said, I don't fancy the odds. He is likely to get very negative "insta-poll" clicks from LibDem supporters, the Greens, along with the metropolitan sides of the Labour Party and the Conservative Party. For that reason, I'm not long him. Everyone hates Clegg, which makes him unattractive. That being said, I'm told he's personally very persuasive when he makes the case for the coalition, so he might exceed expectations. But I think I'd bet on someone like the PC leader (or even Natalie Bennett) because it's a crap shot, and who hates those parties?
This discussion has been closed.