Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tomorrow night is Nigel Farage’s big opportunity

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tomorrow night is Nigel Farage’s big opportunity

Given that that Farage and UKIP are the recipients of the None of the Above voters that the Lib Dems used to attract, and are effectively the third party of Great British wide politics, in the polls at least, compared to his predecessors of the third party/second opposition party, Farage’s ratings aren’t that good.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Indeed it is. I think he will get more mileage out of getting at Ed Miliband than Cameron though.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Nigel Farage doesn't have to persuade all the audience. He just needs a sufficiently large slice to inflate the UKIP balloon. If I were advising him, I'd advise him just to be himself. It doesn't matter if 70% of the nation think he's a berk, so long as the other 30% love what he says.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    FPT Antifrank: I believe you're in the Devon area. Do you know anything about the independent, Claire Wright, who is standing in East Devon? She's in to a best price of 11/2 with the bookies - is there any reason to expect her to do unusually well for an independent?

Not aware of her back story, but will ask around and see what I can discover...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    FPT

http://sports.coral.co.uk/political-specials/uk/2015-tv-debates/all-men-to-wear-party-coloured-ties-2655209.html

All Men To Wear Party Coloured Ties?

No 6/5

Unless I'm missing something, that's a fantastic bet.

To be very generous with the odds;

EdM to wear a red tie? 1/10
    Dave blue tie? 1/10
    Nick yellow tie? 1/2
    Farage purple tie? Evens

The acca = 2.63/1

Which you can bet against @ 6/5
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Why has the press been some braindeadly awful at understanding what the ComRes Scotland Labour Constituencies Only poll means.

The coverage, bar ITV, has almost been entirely incorrect.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2015
    Interesting comparisons in the bar chart. I thought I remembered Charlie Kennedy being very popular in 2001/2005, but it seems not.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    edited April 2015
    FPT - what were the chances Labour's other Celebrity endorsing luvvie also has a company?

http://www.endole.co.uk/company/05533114/sandyboy-limited

If he was a Tory, what would Ed call him?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,901
    edited April 2015
    Extraordinary how popular Paddy A became in 1992 after just one (outstanding) PPB. Guess it shows why the directors get the big bucks!!
  • Options
    Pong said:

FPT

http://sports.coral.co.uk/political-specials/uk/2015-tv-debates/all-men-to-wear-party-coloured-ties-2655209.html

No 6/5

Dave blue tie? 1/10
    Nick yellow tie? 1/2
    Farage purple tie? Evens

The acca = 2.63/1

Also, Farage @ 4/11 in the farage vs clegg matchbet looks like a banker;

http://sports.coral.co.uk/political-specials/uk/2015-tv-debates/2015-debate-matchbets-2655093.html
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited April 2015
    Pong said:

FPT

No 6/5

Dave blue tie? 1/10
    Nick yellow tie? 1/2
    Farage purple tie? Evens

The acca = 2.63/1

I've had the maximiso on that! £42

Thanks

Surely Farage will want to differentiate himself from the others by not conforming?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Alistair said:

Why has the press been some braindeadly awful at understanding what the ComRes Scotland Labour Constituencies Only poll means.

Because they are DESPERATE to report something different. The continuation of Scottish-Labour-To-Be-Painted-Seven-Shades-Of-Shit is boring them....

• Options
    Are all the men necessarily even going to wear ties?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    antifrank said:

Dunno, taking the other side of this bet would be the height of idiocy though.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Because they are DESPERATE to report something different. The continuation of Scottish-Labour-To-Be-Painted-Seven-Shades-Of-Shit is boring them....

Yes - then the next national (and non comparable) poll can be painted as a DISASTER FOR LABOUR........
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Absolutely.

The smarter bookies only offer one side of that bet.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Danny565 said:

Interesting comparisons in the bar chart. I thought I remembered Charlie Kennedy being very popular in 2001/2005, but it seems not.

I liked Charlie (And voted LD) in 2005, mainly because the alternatives were Blair and Howard though I think. He has charisma, losing his seat might be good for him though this time round.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I reckon that's big odds on don't you?

• Options
    "FPT - what were the chances Labour's other Celebrity endorsing louvre also has a company?

If he was a Tory, what would Ed call him? "

Another attempted character assassination on someone for the crime of supporting Labour.

Is it any wonder the Tories are held in such loathing and contempt by most voters?
  • Options
    Pong said:

antifrank said:

Absolutely.

The smarter bookies only offer one side of that bet.
    Corals is amazing.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

I reckon that's big odds on don't you?

Probably - anyway, I took my maximum on this bet too, so many thanks to Pong for pointing it out.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Because it doesn't suit their preferred narrative?

The News is no longer about reporting on what has occurred, It is increasingly more about infotainment and ensuring good viewing figures than actually reporting and analyzing what is going on.

Still if it means we don't have to watch that Berk Jeremy Vine then that will be a plus.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    isam said:

Pong said:

FPT

No 6/5

Dave blue tie? 1/10
    Nick yellow tie? 1/2
    Farage purple tie? Evens

The acca = 2.63/1

Thanks

Surely Farage will want to differentiate himself from the others by not conforming?
    Well the chances *someone* does something different must be pretty high. Grey for example.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Why am I always away from the ability to bet when these ludicrous corals/betfair odds become available?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    On topic, I think the difference between LD leader ratings and Farages is that the lib dems, to non political anoraks, were a kind of bland nice cuddlynothingness that it was hard to actively dislike because they were just an irrelevance that didn't threaten anything

A Nicer version of the real two parties, but were never going yo change much

I almost voted for then in 2010 because they seemed nice...

Farage is never going to have that like ability with those that aren't kippers because he is actively taking votes off the other parties with different policies that upset the AppleCart
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Alistair said:

Is it ?

There are angles they can run on that have some basis in fact, not fiction:

Can Thurso hold his seat, can Moore. Will the SNP challenge put paid to Carmichael (Doubt this but hey it's a story). Can Labour make any GAINs in Scotland - Edi East, Dunbartonshire East... Is Murphy himself under threat (Probably not).

In fairness Crick has been up to Paisley to report on one of the big stories of the election.

But there are PLENTY of journalistic angles to Scotland to take.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    ... or would he be better off just playing in the street?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    isam said:

Did you always vote Labour before the last few years?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Danny565 said:

isam said:

Did you always vote Labour before the last few years?
    Yes have only ever voted Labour other than last years Euros

97,01 and 10.. Forgot in 05!
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    isam said:

On topic, I think the difference between LD leader ratings and Farages is that the lib dems, to non political anoraks, were a kind of bland nice cuddlynothingness that it was hard to actively dislike because they were just an irrelevance that didn't threaten anything

Farage is never going to have that like ability with those that aren't kippers because he is actively taking votes off the other parties with different policies

I think Farage has shunned his chance to hit the real mainstream (a gamble) in favour of a handful of seats. By positioning UKIP as a party overwhelmingly concerned with immigration and the EU (with the NHS a distant third) he can remain an "outsider" at a time when UKIP are polling third and won the Euros, but it won't allow UKIP to break out of a handful of seats. Repositioning them would have been immensely difficult, and taken a sustained effort over the last three years, and I understand why Farage wouldn't want to risk it.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pong said:

FPT

No 6/5

Dave blue tie? 1/10
    Nick yellow tie? 1/2
    Farage purple tie? Evens

The acca = 2.63/1

Thanks

Green Barbour and yellow trousers?
    He conforms to his image all right
  • Options
    I don't know if I'm going to win all my GE bets with Corals, in fact I hope to lose quite alot - but they are definitely going to win my

Bookie of the week

Award.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,978
    Grandiose said:

isam said:

Farage is never going to have that like ability with those that aren't kippers because he is actively taking votes off the other parties with different policies

I think Farage has shunned his chance to hit the real mainstream (a gamble) in favour of a handful of seats. By positioning UKIP as a party overwhelmingly concerned with immigration and the EU (with the NHS a distant third) he can remain an "outsider" at a time when UKIP are polling third and won the Euros, but it won't allow UKIP to break out of a handful of seats. Repositioning them would have been immensely difficult, and taken a sustained effort over the last three years, and I understand why Farage wouldn't want to risk it.
    That's what you have to do under FPTP, when you're getting started.

Another way of looking at things is that Farage is almost as well-rated as Cameron (35% to 38%) and better-rated than either Milliband (28%) or Clegg (26%). But, nobody is very popular.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    So Centre for Macroeconomics asked has austerity had a positive effect...I would answer what austerity.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

"FPT - what were the chances Labour's other Celebrity endorsing luvvie also has a company?

Another attempted character assassination on someone for the crime of supporting Labour.

Is it any wonder the Tories are held in such loathing and contempt by most voters?

Make your mind up Roger.

Is it, or is it not, appropriate to arrange your affairs in a tax efficient manner?

Or is it another case of 'do as I say, not do as I do'?
  • Options

FPT Antifrank: I believe you're in the Devon area. Do you know anything about the independent, Claire Wright, who is standing in East Devon? She's in to a best price of 11/2 with the bookies - is there any reason to expect her to do unusually well for an independent?

I'm in Devon at the moment... surfs terrible . May have to go home. No indication of an election. Easter soon.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh · 7m7 minutes ago
    The fightback. RT @JBeattieMirror Letter to Mirror signed by 100 ppl backing Labour. Cafe workers, biz leaders,celebs

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBhWvpaXIAIxwKn.png
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    antifrank said:

The fightback. RT @JBeattieMirror Letter to Mirror signed by 100 ppl backing Labour. Cafe workers, biz leaders,celebs

There letter writing campaigns are so tedious....
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited April 2015
    I don't know if the format makes it easier for Farage to win or not, the audience will have 7 different choices and the winner will be the one with the biggest slice of the pie chart.
    I guess who ever gets more than 30-35% will be the victor.
  • Options
    Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE · 46s46 seconds ago
    I need 100 signatories for a letter begging political parties to stop organising supportive letters.

Who's in?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    antifrank said:

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE · 46s46 seconds ago
    I need 100 signatories for a letter begging political parties to stop organising supportive letters.

Who's in?

Hell yes?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The coverage has been dreadful. It's as if someone produced a poll showing Labour ahead by 6% in the constituencies that voted Conservative in 2010, and it was treated as a national Labour lead of 6%.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

The coverage has been dreadful. It's as if someone produced a poll showing Labour ahead by 6% in the constituencies that voted Conservative in 2010, and it was treated as a national Labour lead of 6%.
    Most journalists are innumerate. I'm not sure that there's much more to it than that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Roger said:

"FPT - what were the chances Labour's other Celebrity endorsing louvre also has a company?

I don't see how those two things are connected (and though the Tories are generally more disliked than Labour, about the same number of people end up voting for both, so I don't know how you can crow about them being held in contempt by 'most' voters given apparently it's not contempt enough to get significantly more people to vote for Labour, which surely would be much easier if most people held the Tories in contempt).

Political parties criticize famous people for doing things all the time. If a celebrity openly supports one party - and particularly if they get self righteous about it - then the other side will of course seek out negative stories about them, and spin whatever they do find in the worst possible light. If someone involves themselves in politics so publicly they are fair game, and it doesn't matter which side they are on, they will make enemies of the other side (and more crucially the press on that side).

You are criticising a political behaviour and pretending it is a partisan political behaviour.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

She clearly has a very large personal vote but how much that extends constituency wide beyond Ottery St Mary who knows .
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Is it ?

There are angles they can run on that have some basis in fact, not fiction:

Can Thurso hold his seat, can Moore. Will the SNP challenge put paid to Carmichael (Doubt this but hey it's a story). Can Labour make any GAINs in Scotland - Edi East, Dunbartonshire East... Is Murphy himself under threat (Probably not).

In fairness Crick has been up to Paisley to report on one of the big stories of the election.

But there are PLENTY of journalistic angles to Scotland to take.
    All micro-stories. There is only one story. The not-long-ago inconceivable death of the Scottish Labour Party's dominance of Westminster seats.

It is just jaw-droppingly cataclysmic.

• Options
    Pong said:

FPT

No 6/5

Dave blue tie? 1/10
    Nick yellow tie? 1/2
    Farage purple tie? Evens

The acca = 2.63/1

I like that this market exists. I hope Clegg decides to mess with the few people who will note such a thing by wearing either a blue tie or a red tie. Or even better, switches between a blur or red tie during a break.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

Not a character assassination at all unless you think that arranging your affairs legally to minimise the tax you pay is somehow a bad thing.

But those of us who pay tax on a PAYE basis and cannot take advantage of all these schemes and accountants are a bit fed up with being told by people considerably richer than us about the importance of paying tax and supporting public services and contributing to society etc etc when they themselves appear to do everything possible to pay as little tax as possible. Talk is free. Putting their hands in their pocket might be better.

So when the same issue arose as between Livingstone and Johnson, we found that it was Johnson who paid all his tax on the same basis as the rest of us and Livingstone who used a company to minimise his tax and who said that he thought that everyone did that. Well, no, we bloody don't.

If the amount of pious cant coming out of Labour and their supporters on tax could be turned into real money, the deficit would be paid off in no time.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Who but a weasel word using,insincere PR loving spinner with no conviction would describe the meaning of Easter thus

'‘So I end my argument with this: I hope everyone can share in the belief of trying to lift people up rather than count people out. Those values and principles are not the exclusive preserve of one faith or religion. They are something I hope everyone in our country believes.

‘That after all is the heart of the Christian message. It’s the principle around which the Easter celebration is built. Easter is all about remembering the importance of change, responsibility, and doing the right thing for the good of our children. And today, that message matters more than ever.’'

Take out the word Easter and he could be talking about absolutely anything
  • Options

She clearly has a very large personal vote but how much that extends constituency wide beyond Ottery St Mary who knows .
    I love the idea that St Mary smelled a bit like otters....

• Options
    antifrank said:

Lol, so Labour just rounded up a bunch of people on the streets and got them to sign a random letter.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Lol, so Labour just rounded up a bunch of people on the streets and got them to sign a random letter.

@ToryTreasury: @faisalislam oh dear. Not even Ed Balls's Bill "Somebody" Thomas signed it...
  • Options
    isam said:

Who but a weasel word using,insincere PR loving spinner with no conviction would describe the meaning of Easter thus

'‘So I end my argument with this: I hope everyone can share in the belief of trying to lift people up rather than count people out. Those values and principles are not the exclusive preserve of one faith or religion. They are something I hope everyone in our country believes.

‘That after all is the heart of the Christian message. It’s the principle around which the Easter celebration is built. Easter is all about remembering the importance of change, responsibility, and doing the right thing for the good of our children. And today, that message matters more than ever.’'

Take out the word Easter and he could be talking about absolutely anything </

Archbishop of Canterbury?

• Options
    It looks like Labour are going to pass on criticizing the 103 self serving business people. So I guess it'll fall to the feisty Nicola. What wouldn't Labour give to have someone with the bottle of one of the leading Nats batting for them. The two Eds look like they're drowning in Johnson's baby oil.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Not a character assassination at all unless you think that arranging your affairs legally to minimise the tax you pay is somehow a bad thing.
    Isn't that what Ed thinks?

Didn't he kick up a HUGE fuss about someone opening a Swiss bank account.......

......when they lived in Switzerland?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

But those of us who pay tax on a PAYE basis and cannot take advantage of all these schemes and accountants are a bit fed up with being told by people considerably richer than us about the importance of paying tax and supporting public services and contributing to society etc etc when they themselves appear to do everything possible to pay as little tax as possible. Talk is free. Putting their hands in their pocket might be better.

So when the same issue arose as between Livingstone and Johnson, we found that it was Johnson who paid all his tax on the same basis as the rest of us and Livingstone who used a company to minimise his tax and who said that he thought that everyone did that. Well, no, we bloody don't.

If the amount of pious cant coming out of Labour and their supporters on tax could be turned into real money, the deficit would be paid off in no time.

Well said Cyclefree, - but I fear you are casting pearls before swine.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    FOR NPEXMP

Our bet at £40 to £20 is agreed. You pay to LUPUS UK < I pay to Oxfam. If a tie we both donate to each others charities at the agreed amount. The tie is only valid on the first count as we could get to the stage of a coin toss.

IF I was unnecessarily direct, I unreservedly apologise and I hope we can agree in future that my ability and readiness to settle any bet I may make go unquestioned.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Take out the word Easter and he could be talking about absolutely anything

That 'reads' very much like David Cameron.
  • Options
    What????

Labour MPs hypocrites?

Never!

You'll be suggesting the indulge in 'legitimate tax planning' next!
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    WTF is up with the Lib Dems PEB?

I get the don't turn left or right message. But why did it finish with the guy driving straight on.... into a pedestrian precinct!
  • Options
    @NCPoliticsUK: For tomorrow's debate, I'm hearing there could be as many as FIVE snap opinion polls afterwards... Will try to keep up! #GE2015 #tvdebates

What are the odds on 5 different winners...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Roger said:

"FPT - what were the chances Labour's other Celebrity endorsing luvvie also has a company?

Make your mind up Roger.

Is it, or is it not, appropriate to arrange your affairs in a tax efficient manner?

Or is it another case of 'do as I say, not do as I do'?
    Of course there's nothing wrong with organising your affairs in an efficient manner - what grates is when the sanctimonious self-righteousness of these media types is shown as total hypocrisy when it comes to their own personal life.
  • Options
    We need more party political broadcasts with octopodes. It's a shame that we won't see another offering from An Independence From Europe.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@NCPoliticsUK: For tomorrow's debate, I'm hearing there could be as many as FIVE snap opinion polls afterwards... Will try to keep up! #GE2015 #tvdebates

Why does 9/4 come to mind?!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Only YouGov counts.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Poor Freeman..he naively wandered into the dark forest of Politics and found a pack of wolves waiting for him..He is a good actor,perhaps he should stick to that.
  • Options
    Ed's 'Zero Hour Campaign' didn't last long:

The statistics do not and cannot show an “epidemic” in zero hours contracts. Comparisons of the number of people on zero hours contracts over time are not reliable, as the Office for National Statistics makes clear.

The statistics do show that 66% of people on zero hours contracts fall in the category of ‘does not want more hours’. The statistics alone do not show that everybody on zero hours contracts, or even a majority of them, are dissatisfied.

The latest ONS release shows that people whose main employment is a zero hours contract account for 2.3% of people in employment. This is 1 in 43 – or to a round number 1 in 40, not 1 in 50 as the Conservative Party has said.

https://fullfact.org/factcheck/economy/zero_hour_contracts_facts-41165
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

FOR NPEXMP

Our bet at £40 to £20 is agreed. You pay to LUPUS UK < I pay to Oxfam. If a tie we both donate to each others charities at the agreed amount. The tie is only valid on the first count as we could get to the stage of a coin toss.

IF I was unnecessarily direct, I unreservedly apologise and I hope we can agree in future that my ability and readiness to settle any bet I may make go unquestioned.

Absolutely, and i apologise for any unintended slur.

Hmm, with £40 at stake, I'd better do some canvassing instead of faffing about here, eh?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

YouGov, ICM and Populus are all confirmed.
  • Options
    Cyclefree

"Not a character assassination at all unless you think that arranging your affairs legally to minimise the tax you pay is somehow a bad thing."

Then what has the tax affairs of his girlfriend got to do with anything. Are we so old fashioned that we think a woman cant deal with her own affairs without a man taking responsibility?
  • Options
    Dair said:

I get the don't turn left or right message. But why did it finish with the guy driving straight on.... into a pedestrian precinct!

Was it a car-crash?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree

"Not a character assassination at all unless you think that arranging your affairs legally to minimise the tax you pay is somehow a bad thing."

Then what has the tax affairs of his girlfriend got to do with anything. Are we so old fashioned that we think a woman cant deal with her own affairs without a man taking responsibility?

And "Geoffrey Joseph Ltd'?

I think 'girlfriend' might be slightly underplaying Ms Abbington's role in his life ('partner of 15 years and mother of their two children')......
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Scott_P said:

Will these be VI polls, or who won the debate polls?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Anyone else spot Sid and Doris Bonkers zero hour contract workers at Neasden FC amongst the eminent signatures?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Are these "who won the debate" polls or "who will you vote for" polls?

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited April 2015
    BBC1 6pm News - repeat of yesterday - 10 minute report 100% on Con + Lab - followed by Landale doing a sum-up - 100% on Con + Lab.

Then presenter says round-up of other election news - 10 seconds on Clegg (without him speaking), 10 seconds on UKIP (without any UKIPer speaking), 10 seconds on Samantha Cameron(!)

This pattern appears to be getting firmly established. If it carries on I can see Con + Lab getting 73% combined - ie 39/34, 38/35 or 37/36 - in whichever order you prefer.

LD, UKIP and Green are not going to have a chance - LD 9, UKIP 8, Green 4 would be my best guess.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I do hope there aren't any Labour MP's with staff on zero hrs contracts.. it could be embarrassing if there were..
  • Options

antifrank said:

Anyone else spot Sid and Doris Bonkers zero hour contract workers at Neasden FC amongst the eminent signatures?
    How long before the press start picking off signatories who are going to say "Eh - hang on a minute. What's this about me losing my job after 12 weeks, Ed....?"
  • Options
    Dair said:

Watching it now

Sad music start...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Who won the debate.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099

Among the 103 signatories of the letter, published on the front page of the Daily Telegraph this morning, are four Conservative members of the House of Lords – all ennobled by David Cameron.

The Prime Minister also doled out 18 MBEs, OBEs, CBEs and knighthoods to signatories of the letter over the last parliament.

A total of 32 of the signatories are Conservative donors, having donated a total of £9m to the party when family and company donations are taken into account.

Nine of those who signed the letter had given at least six-figure sums, with the smallest donation still well over a thousand pounds.
  • Options
    Bloody hell where's he going..
  • Options

Dair said:

Was it a car-crash?
    If you never turn left or right, a car crash is inveitable.
  • Options
    NickP

"Absolutely, and i apologise for any unintended slur.

Hmm, with £40 at stake, I'd better do some canvassing instead of faffing about here, eh?"

I'd be curious to know the effect of the business people's signatures. My suspicion was that it would backfire. The connection between big business and Tories being inherently unattractive. I'd be curious to hear your feed back
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Roger said:

Cyclefree

As I am sure you have noted, I have never mentioned his girlfriend.

He minimises his tax by using a company. Good for him. I wish I could do the same. I can't. I pay all the tax that is due and have a pretty high marginal rate. I probably pay more tax than a lot of people who have more money (both income and assets) than me.

I will probably get shafted by Labour should they come to power. That's life and democracy for you.

What I don't need or care for is a lot of Labour luvvies pretending that they are morally superior to me because they support Labour and I don't.

I judge people on their deeds not their words. It's easy to be charitable with other people's money.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Dair, not necessarily. You could be on the M25.
  • Options
    SNP's car advert was far more upbeat. THe Lib Dem chap looks like he's about to go through a breakdown, or his car is :D
  • Options
    Fac
    Factcheck
    % of all workers on zero hour contracts = 2%
    % of Labour MPs that have employed people on such contracts = 26%

motes and beams
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    I'd vote for you, Miss Cyclefree.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Was it a car-crash?
    If you never turn left or right, a car crash is inveitable.
    Not in the States!
  • Options
    Faragasm

Doesn't work as well as cleggasm, farage having a soft g.

Would suggest, for future threads, OGH uses the term "faragaculation".

Works much better In the northern england, where garage is pronounced "garridge" thus the locals might refer to farage as "farridge".

Scots may wish to substitute "Sturgaculation",
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree

What I don't need or care for is a lot of Labour luvvies pretending that they are morally superior to me because they support Labour and I don't.
    Well put. It's just bloody irritating.

And to forestall argument, yes that would apply to Tories pretending they are morally superior to me because they support the Tories and I don't, which does happen, although my feeling is that for the lazy type of attachs while Labour fall back on the condescending implication that they are inherently more decent and moral than the Tories, the Tories fall back more often on the implication only fools vote for someone other than them.

This only applies to the very laziest of attacks mind you, the basest of tactics.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Looks like Labour has produced it`s own letter of 100 signatories to be published in the Guardian.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

BBC1 6pm News - repeat of yesterday - 10 minute report 100% on Con + Lab - followed by Landale doing a sum-up - 100% on Con + Lab.

Then presenter says round-up of other election news - 10 seconds on Clegg (without him speaking), 10 seconds on UKIP (without any UKIPer speaking), 10 seconds on Samantha Cameron(!)

This pattern appears to be getting firmly established. If it carries on I can see Con + Lab getting 73% combined - ie 39/34, 38/35 or 37/36 - in whichever order you prefer.

LD, UKIP and Green are not going to have a chance - LD 9, UKIP 8, Green 4 would be my best guess.

I missed the news, too busy playing in the street.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Just watched the Lib Dems party political broadcast.

Everyone knows that if you keep going straight,you`ll end up in a crash.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Can I vote on which poll won the poll on the debate? What colour will the presenters tie be?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SNP's car advert was far more upbeat. THe Lib Dem chap looks like he's about to go through a breakdown, or his car is :D

Yes the whole thing is thoroughly depressing. But the driving onto the pedestrian precinct is the stand out moment. Also there didn't appear to be a right turn at that final junction any way.

Whole thing is bizarre, poorly judged and executed.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2015
    SMukesh said:

Just watched the Lib Dems party political broadcast.
    Everyone knows that if you keep going straight,you`ll end up in a crash.

It is back to that first campaign of Simon Hughes.
    It's a straight choice.

ps - Since Cable, Farron, Kennedy and Ashdown etc all state that the Lib Dems are a party of the left, when will the eruption happen inside the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    Blimey - LD ad was a bit gloomy. Not sure about the position of the satnav on the windscreen...
This discussion has been closed.