Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boost for the Tories as the economy once again becomes the

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,982
    Mr. Eagles, I'm shocked, astounded and appalled you considered my post about Badoer off-topic. Next you'll be chastising me for posting about differential front end grip!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2015
    Doddy

"I expect Roger to decline any offers from WPP as Sir Martin has just given himself a whacking huge pay rise..if one has principles they must be carried out.. eh Rog."

I'd be very surprised if Martin Sorrel signed that ad. Even though I'm sure he'll be voting Tory he'll be far too savvy to offend those of his clients who wont. He's a good example of the unacceptable face of capitalism. I remember when he had a tiny agency I think in Leeds and then by using their own assets bought JWT. Then using their assets O&M. A typical bit of chicanery all too popular during Maggies reign.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:

Labour hates success. Official...

Be fair, they hate lots of things

Strangely enough they don't make much noise on certain things suuch as phone hacking by the mirror

Hell yeah they are a moral crusade

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

Financier said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Financier said:

Seem to recall from ST YG polls that about one third of the VI have not been affected/not noticed the effects of 'cuts'/austerity. Would they be manly people employed by the public sector or on such pensions?

Public sector has had 5 years of pay freezes and huge hikes in pension contributions. A friend of mine who works for the Met bemoans the "Tory cuts" as they have absolutely directly and negatively affected him (and colleagues) and his standard of living
    I know this might come as a shock, that is true of most of the private sector as well. Welcome to living in the country with the lowest productivity in the G7 and getting worse. The obvious thing to do, is to raise pay, increase regulation, and thereby make it even worse, the look all surprised when people take their business elsewhere.
    In large part, low productivity is the reverse of high employment. Less productive workers find it easier to get work here than in many other countries.
    Not sure the farmers in E Anglia and Lincolnshire will agree with you - as they employ a lot of immigrants to work in the fields as apparently the native Brits are too keen on early hours and hard work.
    We've had UKIP-supporting posters on here regret that British students can't be forced to do fruit-picking in the summer holidays.
    lawyer despises manual work shock.

does sending the intern to get your skinny latte count ?
    1) I don't despise manual work.
    2) I don't see how you deduce that I do from my post.
    3) I don't have an intern and never have had.
    4) I have never drunk a skinny latte in my life.

You can consider that a bite if you like.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Diplomacy V is over. Draw victory for Austria and Italy.

Didn't do too badly as England, but stuttering progress against France stopped me building up a head of steam. Was an enjoyable game nevertheless, and I did better than last time (when I got crushed by the frogs).

Edited extra bit: Mr. Llama and Mr. Foxinsox did very well as Italy and Austria respectively, though I'm surprised Austria didn't go for the solo win.

A finish against Italy would have been an interesting chess game, but an Italo-Austrian alliance victory is a fair outcome.

Thanks to everybody for the game; first time I have survived to the end. I do not expect it to happen again!

• Options

Mr. Eagles, I'm shocked, astounded and appalled you considered my post about Badoer off-topic. Next you'll be chastising me for posting about differential front end grip!

Oops, blame using a touch screen, I have made sure your comment on the Hannibal of F1 is no longer off topic,
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited April 2015
    The Lib Dem Voice web site says that following the dissolution of parliament the terms of the Representation of the People Acts come into force.

From now until election day, all comments on Lib Dem Voice by a parliamentary candidate, or by anyone who has campaigned (including telephone canvassing) for a parliamentary candidate, should contain the correct imprint for that candidate. If a commenter has campaigned for more than one candidate then she/he should provide a separate imprint for each one.

In addition, parliamentary candidates should send the Liberal Democrat Voice team a signed declaration that they have informed all opposing candidates of their comment including supplying them with a link so they can place a balancing comment, should they wish.

What applies to Lib Dem Voice should presumably apply to Political Betting should it not? For example

Published and promoted by J. Oliver on behalf of E. Davey (Liberal Democrats), all at 21 Berrylands Road, Surbiton, KT5 8QX, and by T. Gordon on behalf of the Liberal Democrats, at 8-10 Great George Street, London, SW1P 3AE.

Published and promoted by Andrew Garner on behalf of Lisa Smart and the Hazel Grove Constituency Liberal Democrats, 34 Stockport Road, Romiley, Stockport, SK6 3AA and by Tim Gordon on behalf of the Liberal Democrats at 8-10 Great George Street, London, SW1P 3AE.

Published & promoted by A Sangar on behalf of N Clegg (Liberal Democrat) and Sheffield Liberal Democrats all at 85 Nethergreen Road and by Tim Gordon on behalf of the Liberal Democrats all at 8-10 Great George Street, London, SW1P 3AE.

Published & promoted by C Lindsay on behalf of E Farthing-Sykes (Scottish Liberal Democrat) all at 4 Clifton Terrace, Edinburgh and by Tim Gordon on behalf of the Liberal Democrats all at 8-10 Great George Street, London, SW1P 3AE.

Published & promoted by C Lindsay on behalf of C Dundas (Scottish Liberal Democrat) all at 4 Clifton Terrace, Edinburgh and by Tim Gordon on behalf of the Liberal Democrats all at 8-10 Great George Street, London, SW1P 3AE.

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Can someone help. If Labour enact this 12 week offer a contract thing, does that mean if we employ an agency worker for more than 12 weeks then we would have to offer them a full time contract?

Many thanks

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Financier said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Financier said:

Seem to recall from ST YG polls that about one third of the VI have not been affected/not noticed the effects of 'cuts'/austerity. Would they be manly people employed by the public sector or on such pensions?

Public sector has had 5 years of pay freezes and huge hikes in pension contributions. A friend of mine who works for the Met bemoans the "Tory cuts" as they have absolutely directly and negatively affected him (and colleagues) and his standard of living
    I know this might come as a shock, that is true of most of the private sector as well. Welcome to living in the country with the lowest productivity in the G7 and getting worse. The obvious thing to do, is to raise pay, increase regulation, and thereby make it even worse, the look all surprised when people take their business elsewhere.
    In large part, low productivity is the reverse of high employment. Less productive workers find it easier to get work here than in many other countries.
    Not sure the farmers in E Anglia and Lincolnshire will agree with you - as they employ a lot of immigrants to work in the fields as apparently the native Brits are too keen on early hours and hard work.
    We've had UKIP-supporting posters on here regret that British students can't be forced to do fruit-picking in the summer holidays.

thanks,

just figuring out how to reel you in Marie Antoinette.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Roger said:

Doddy

"I expect Roger to decline any offers from WPP as Sir Martin has just given himself a whacking huge pay rise..if one has principles they must be carried out.. eh Rog."

I'd be very surprised if Martin Sorrel signed that ad. Even though I'm sure he'll be voting Tory he'll be far too savvy to offend those of his clients who wont. He's a good example of the unacceptable face of capitalism. I remember when he had a tiny agency I think in Leeds and then by using their own assets bought JWT. Then using their assets O&M. A typical bit of chicanery all too popular during Maggies reign.

Sorrel has built up one of the worlds most successful businesses. How is that 'unacceptable'?
  • Options
    "A Conservative government would not put up income tax, national insurance or VAT for the full five years of the next parliament"

So it's true. They would bring in euthanasia for the disabled.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923

Diplomacy V is over. Draw victory for Austria and Italy.

Didn't do too badly as England, but stuttering progress against France stopped me building up a head of steam. Was an enjoyable game nevertheless, and I did better than last time (when I got crushed by the frogs).

Edited extra bit: Mr. Llama and Mr. Foxinsox did very well as Italy and Austria respectively, though I'm surprised Austria didn't go for the solo win.

A finish against Italy would have been an interesting chess game, but an Italo-Austrian alliance victory is a fair outcome.

Thanks to everybody for the game; first time I have survived to the end. I do not expect it to happen again!

You were in pole position there !

I'd have gone for the win personally.
  • Options
    Mr. Currystar, is it a promise on zero hours or agency staff as well?

It seems like a good way to limit a zero hours job or agency stint to under 3 months.

Mr. Eagles, your apology is as gracious as a walk along the beach by Neil Kinnock. I accept it, nevertheless.

Mr. Foxinsox, Turkey had a rough time of it.

Anyway, looking forward to the next game.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Financier said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Financier said:

thanks,

Nick Clegg grindr April fools seem to work!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Plato said:

I'm a bit surprised we haven't talked much today about the Cameron/Ozzie intv in the Sun.

A Conservative government would not put up income tax, national insurance or VAT for the full five years of the next parliament
    Were the words "will not" or "have no plans to" ? It would be astonishing for any Government to close off such large potential sources of revenue for such a long period. Nobody knows what will happen between now and 2020 and I think it foolish to make such a hostage to fortune.

George W Bush said "read my lips, no new taxes" and that ended well for him. There may come a time in the next five years when the Government needs additional revenue - to rule such sources out seems unwise in the extreme.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Plato said:

I'm a bit surprised we haven't talked much today about the Cameron/Ozzie intv in the Sun.

A Conservative government would not put up income tax, national insurance or VAT for the full five years of the next parliament
    Doesn't come under OGH's radar - uses a narrower scan..
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    SMukesh said:

I agree Cons have had the best start since Parliament was dissolved.

But I am not sure 100 Tories signing a letter to the press will have the effect that it had last time.

100 tories? you sure about that?

I would have suspected you should know better, then I remember your posts from yesterday.

Bless.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Financier said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Financier said:

thanks,

April Fools are for dullards and cretins. Thank goodness that Pacman on Google Maps is for real.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Roger said:

"A Conservative government would not put up income tax, national insurance or VAT for the full five years of the next parliament"

Sometimes it’s hard to believe you’re actually a rather comfortably well off, privately educated, middle aged man.
  • Options
    Class War Party:

‘Class War puts working class politics at the heart of everything that it does, which means it is angry and fucking sweary just like all the great unwashed stereotypical working class that we claim to represent. They’re all at it, those stereotypical working class guys, boozing away the weekend on Carlsberg Special Brew, shagging ugly drunk birds and telling the Filth to “just fuck off out of my face”.’
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, might be that the blues think they can win most seats and form a coalition (probably Con-Lib) but that so doing will (because of the Lib Dems' stated desire to have tax rises) entail compromise and increasing this or that tax.

So, it'd happen, but the Conservatives would blame the yellows for it, whereas the Lib Dems would say they'd saved the country from the evil cuts the blues wanted to make.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited April 2015
    Read my lips - no new taxes.

I wonder if the no rise in taxes assertion is cast iron?

We've heard this all before...
  • Options
    Plato said:

There's not going to be a Conservative (or Labour) government so it is easy for the main parties to make extravagent promises.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,637
    Roger said:

Only when they've run out of babies to eat.......
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Financier said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Financier said:

thanks,

April Fools are for dullards and cretins. Thank goodness that Pacman on Google Maps is for real.

Is that why Ashcroft isn't releasing his results until midday? In case people assume they're pranks?
  • Options

Plato said:

There's not going to be a Conservative (or Labour) government so it is easy for the main parties to make extravagent promises.

And it does let them blame their partner when taxes do go up.....

Of course, no mention of fiscal drag......
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

I think that's part of the answer. This, like so much else, is a reverberation from the events of 1989-90 and all that has followed. Economics, foreign policy, attitudes to Europe, social policy - all have been shaped by the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of Communism in ways that few, with the possible exception of Margaret Thatcher, envisaged at the time.

In tandem with low productivity, we have low spend on technological innovation and r&d - why ? Because it is easier and cheaper to hire people from a pool of cheap labour provided by the fall of Communism to the east and the anarchy in the Middle East and North Africa which was another by-product.

Previous economic booms have been curtailed by labour capacity issues leading to shortages and wage and then price inflation. This hasn't happened yet because the pool of labour hasn't run out. Our failed interventionist policies in Libya and Iraq, which wouldn't have been possible had the USSR still existed, have toppled dictators but left instability which has prompted migration to the wealthier parts of Europe.

None of this is an argument for a restoration of the pre-1989 balance but 25 years on, those seminal events, as important as those of 1918-19 and 1944-45, have profoundly shaped the Britain we live in today and the policies of Government. In that regard, it doesn't much matter whether the Government is Conservative or Labour in all honesty.

Thatcher was pretty much the only one arguing against German reunification in 89'/90' wasn't she?
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Financier said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Financier said:

thanks,

Is that why Ashcroft isn't releasing his results until midday? In case people assume they're pranks?
    He should release some with the Lib Dems leading in Clacton, UKIP in Orkney and Shetland, Labour in Torbay, the Tories in East Ham and the SNP in Berwick upon Tweed.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Mr. Tyson, unsure a core vote approach works for Labour. Social conservatives (WWC) can go to UKIP, and Scotland seems like it's going to the SNP (although we'll see if turnout on the day matches the polling).

But then, that's why I think we'll have a horribly hung Parliament.

'social conservatives'... That's one way to describe it.
    Meanwhile, what is it about Kent? Are they happy with the image Farage projects? 'get rid of immigrants so it's safe to play in the streets'?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Mr. Tyson, unsure a core vote approach works for Labour. Social conservatives (WWC) can go to UKIP, and Scotland seems like it's going to the SNP (although we'll see if turnout on the day matches the polling).

Meanwhile, what is it about Kent? Are they happy with the image Farage projects? 'get rid of immigrants so it's safe to play in the streets'?
    It's getting a bit weird isn't it. It's verging on 'British perverts for British children'.

He said: “I want to live in a community where our kids play football in the streets of an evening..."

Someone buy him a Tardis so he can get back to 1950. (Though I doubt an Old Alleynian was ever playing with other children in the road).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114

Roger said:

Only when they've run out of babies to eat.......
    We'll never run out of babies to eat.

Breeding them is what the poor are for.

Apparently...

• Options
    edited April 2015

It's getting a bit weird isn't it - 'British perverts for British children'.
    Incredible how people can misunderstand things when they are fuelled by dogma

He didn't say it wasn't safe or anything relating to perverts at all.. It is you that has said that

Kids dont integrate because there is less sense of community.. Anyone who thinks multiculturalism creates a utopia where kids if all nations play happily as one needs to go to a school like the one where my dad teaches in Barking and Dagenham... The racist abuse between the kids is rife, and it ain't involving English kids (18/23 in his class don't speak English at home)
  • Options
    Remember the Tories 'disastrous' Salmond/Miliband poster:

An exclusive poll for The Herald confirms the Conservatives' high profile campaign portraying Ed Miliband dancing to Alex Salmond's tune is striking a chord with large numbers of voters south of the Border.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/wider-political-news/exclusive-poll-tory-attacks-on-snp-wielding-power-are-hitting-home.122124990
  • Options
    isam said:

He didn't say it wasn't safe or anything relating to perverts at all.. It is you that has said that

Kids dont integrate because there is less sense of community.. Anyone who thinks multiculturalism creates a utopia where kids if all nations play happily as one needs to go to a school like the one where my dad teaches in Barking and Dagenham... The racist abuse between the kids is rife, and it ain't involving English kids (18/23 in his class don't speak English at home)
    Kids don't play football on the streets anymore, because they're all slumped in front of PlayStations. Nothing to do with foreigners.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    stodge - I think that's a very depressing viewpoint. It ignores the recent evidence that the UK was unusual amongst G7 countries in having growing inequality. The lack of investment and long term thinking is not a by product of globalisation but a peculiarly British problem. As is the bloated financial sector. You can't simply blame what happened in 1989 for our ills, we've failed to adapt to it.

I'm sorry but in many ways you sound like a Thatcherite. Let's just allow history to take it's course, it wouldn't be sensible for any government to intervene.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

Historically that policy has one enthusiastically promoted by important figures in the Labour Party:

http://www.paulbogdanor.com/left/eugenics.html

I believe it's no longer party policy, though, and the Guardian seems to have changed its mind on it as well.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Red Box, the daily politics email briefing from the Times, contains some interesting polling on Thursday’s leaders debate. It shows that people expect David Cameron to win.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/01/election-2015-100-business-leaders-letter-back-conservatives
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    And getting run-over or bashing cars with a football by accident. Immigrants have very little if anything to do with it or perverts.

isam said:

Kids don't play football on the streets anymore, because they're all slumped in front of PlayStations. Nothing to do with foreigners.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    murali_s said:

Read my lips - no new taxes.

I wonder if the no rise in taxes assertion is cast iron?

We've heard this all before...

Indeed. Could this be the same Cameron who claimed credit several times---"under this government"---that the Commonwealth fund's evaluation of the NHS as top of a list of eleven rich countries when it was based on data from *before* this government?

Or could it be the same DC who slammed pointless reorganisation of the NHS in a speech to the nurses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH2EmVGowCk

Yes indeed, it could.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Scott_P said:

Red Box, the daily politics email briefing from the Times, contains some interesting polling on Thursday’s leaders debate. It shows that people expect David Cameron to win.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/01/election-2015-100-business-leaders-letter-back-conservatives

Having some money on Cameron should be an essential part of any debates portfolio imo.

Note he has the very last word also.
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: Lest we forget; Ed Balls's four Commons staff on zero hours contracts http://t.co/8nkqRgVpmc
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Financier said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Financier said:

thanks,

UKIP on 33 in Hampstead & Kilburn, apparently.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    CarlottaVance

"Remember the Tories 'disastrous' Salmond/Miliband poster:

An exclusive poll for The Herald confirms the Conservatives' high profile campaign portraying Ed Miliband dancing to Alex Salmond's tune is striking a chord with large numbers of voters south of the Border."

Try not to be silly. That is in an article by the notorious pea brain Magnus Gardham, once of the Daily Record, who also writes, referring to the poll of 40 Labour seats (farcically ignores Falkirk):

"Support for the Nationalists was at 43 per cent, ahead of Labour on 37 per cent, the Tories on 13 per cent and the Lib Dems on two per cent, the same as UKIP and the Greens.

If the swing was repeated across Scotland, the SNP would win 30 seats to Labour's 27, with one apiece for the Lib Dems and Conservatives"

I am sure even you can work out what drivel that is
  • Options
    Odd to see that zero hours contracts has had more purchase on pb, while the Guardian's rolling news blog is obsessed with the business leaders' letter.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Tories should be thankful for migrants considering without them there would be no economic growth under the Tories.
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

CarlottaVance

"Remember the Tories 'disastrous' Salmond/Miliband poster:

An exclusive poll for The Herald confirms the Conservatives' high profile campaign portraying Ed Miliband dancing to Alex Salmond's tune is striking a chord with large numbers of voters south of the Border."

Try not to be silly. That is in an article by the notorious pea brain Magnus Gardham, once of the Daily Record, who also writes, referring to the poll of 40 Labour seats (farcically ignores Falkirk):

"Support for the Nationalists was at 43 per cent, ahead of Labour on 37 per cent, the Tories on 13 per cent and the Lib Dems on two per cent, the same as UKIP and the Greens.

If the swing was repeated across Scotland, the SNP would win 30 seats to Labour's 27, with one apiece for the Lib Dems and Conservatives"

I am sure even you can work out what drivel that is

Does the Comres poll include or exclude Falkirk by the way ?

Unsure of this.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Watcher

"Sorrel has built up one of the worlds most successful businesses. How is that 'unacceptable'?"

JWT was in the top 2 or 3 agencies in the Uk and the top 10 worldwide. They were also one of the nicest and most creative. There was no reason to take them over. (They also happened to be the agency I did most of my work for). He then did the same at O&M. Another very successful agency nationally and internationally.

He brought nothing to the party whatsoever. Infact the only effect was to have to ditch accounts because another of his agencies had a competitor. He has benefited the agency scene not one jot. He has just made himself richer.

He did what the Glaziers did at United.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

I was looking for the traditional April Fool story in the media this morning - I see the Telegraph have theirs on the front page.

Roger Boyes in the Times has an opinion piece claiming the Iranians are plotting to take over the world.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Indigo said:

1) It may not reduce costs. The old plane-based systems were massively expensive. Technology's improved, but also got much more expensive;
    2) It is a significant reduction in capability: there are vast areas of the globe that cruise missiles cannot reach, especially without risking interception;
    3) Any such system would put our ability to retaliate in a large scale war at risk: the enemy would know where our nukes were and could easily take them out. That's hopefully not true for a sub-based deterrent.

Not sure how much cheaper than a ICBM system they'd be, but cruise missiles can be sub launched can't they?
    Yes, range is pretty feeble compared to an ICBM, about 2000km from our Astute Class, which means incapable of hitting a fair chunk of Russia as there isn't any water near enough, also since they only fly at 800kph or so it would take over 2hrs to get there, which might not be that helpful.
    Presumably there wouldn't be much left since the American missiles would have got there first, thus denying the British the all-important strategic emotional satisfaction that is presumably the point of these things. Maybe the British could do a deal with the Americans where one of the ones they dropped counted as British, and vice versa? The Queen could write a message on it or something.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Having some money on Cameron should be an essential part of any debates portfolio imo.

Having mulled over it, I think the best bet is Nicola to win (9/1 Coral, 8/1 elsewhere).

She's a smart lassie, she'll be pitching hard for the left-of-Miliband vote. Admittedly she'll have competition there from Leanne and Natalie, but they are not in the same league. She'll be aiming at getting support for the SNP approach outside Scotland, as part of the SNP strategy of destroying Labour's line that a vote for the SNP is a vote for a Tory government, and she'll be saying things that Labour supporters want to hear, more coherently than Ed M will be able to. She's also not very well known in England so she'll benefit from some of the Cleggasm-style 'fresh face' factor.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Tories should be thankful for migrants considering without them there would be no economic growth under the Tories.
    The irony is that unemloyed people from Spain and Portugal etc have been the big beneficieries under this government. Won't be any votes in it for the Tories though, sadly.
  • Options

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Financier said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Financier said:

thanks,

UKIP on 33 in Hampstead & Kilburn, apparently.
    Is Maajid worth a punt at 14s here or does he have no chance ?
  • Options
    BenM said:

There is no growth in GDP per head.

To grow GDP per head we need to increase productivity. The UK record on productivity is poor compared with other OECD countries. Even France has 25% higher productivity than the UK.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

isam said:

You are aware the highly respected social scientist Robert Putnam has done research that supports Farage's argument.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon2007-06-25jl.html

Anyway we had video games when I was a kid but we still also played football in the street.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

Watcher

"Sorrel has built up one of the worlds most successful businesses. How is that 'unacceptable'?"

JWT was in the top 2 or 3 agencies in the Uk and the top 10 worldwide. They were also one of the nicest and most creative. There was no reason to take them over. They also happened to be the agency I did most of my work for. He then did the same at O&M. Another very successful agency.

He brought nothing to the party whatsoever. Infact the only effect was to have to ditch accounts because another of his agencies had a competitor. He has benefited the agency scene not one jot. He has just made himself richer.

He did what the Glaziers did at United.

It sounds as if you have a personal grudge against him! Would you have been happier for them to have been taken over by another, likely foreign competitor, rather than WPP?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,989
    Plato said:

And getting run-over or bashing cars with a football by accident. Immigrants have very little if anything to do with it or perverts.

isam said:

Surely all the immigrants are on the M4, blocking the roads in order to delay Farage from getting to a meeting in South Wales?

(Or perhaps the big clunking idiot should learn to leave enough time for his journeys).
  • Options

BenM said:

To grow GDP per head we need to increase productivity. The UK record on productivity is poor compared with other OECD countries. Even France has 25% higher productivity than the UK.
    A continuation of Labour's record in government, just without bankruptcy at the end of it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Having mulled over it, I think the best bet is Nicola to win (9/1 Coral, 8/1 elsewhere).

She's a smart lassie, she'll be pitching hard for the left-of-Miliband vote. Admittedly she'll have competition there from Leanne and Natalie, but they are not in the same league. She'll be aiming at getting support for the SNP approach outside Scotland, as part of the SNP strategy of destroying Labour's line that a vote for the SNP is a vote for a Tory government, and she'll be saying things that Labour supporters want to hear, more coherently than Ed M will be able to. She's also not very well known in England so she'll benefit from some of the Cleggasm-style 'fresh face' factor.

I can see the logic, but I'm not convinced. I've been giving this further thought since last week.

I'd divide the population for this purpose into five groups:

Hard left: 20%
    Soft left: 20%
    Soggy centre: 20%
    Soft right: 20%
    Hard right: 20%

Nigel Farage will bank on the hard right and David Cameron will bank on the soft right. David Cameron will also hope to take a good chunk of the soggy centre - maybe half.

The other 50% will be divided between five candidates. Ed Miliband is going to have to do exceptionally well (or badly) for this to coalesce above 30% around one candidate of the left.

This gives David Cameron an in-built advantage that is likely to be hard to overcome. Only Nigel Farage looks to me as though he can stop him unless David Cameron screws up.
  • Options
    Nabavi - inbox
  • Options

Plato said:

isam said:

Surely all the immigrants are on the M4, blocking the roads in order to delay Farage from getting to a meeting in South Wales?

(Or perhaps the big clunking idiot should learn to leave enough time for his journeys).
    So you are saying immigration hasn't put a strain on this country's infrastructure, including roads?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Watcher

"It sounds as if you have a personal grudge against him! Would you have been happier for them to have been taken over by another, likely foreign competitor, rather than WPP? "

I had no grudge. It made no difference. Some of the staff who had to go because of working on a competitive account might have.

They wouldn't have been taken over. UK and US agencies are far and away the market leaders in worldwide advertising and don't get taken over.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

SMukesh said:

Pulpstar said:

SMukesh said:

So Lab pulling things back in Scotland which is not unexpected.Should put paid to the Alec Salmond masks.

Which poll shows them pulling things back in Scotland ?
    Comes Scotland which has the gap at 6 in Scottish Labour seats.

This is how STV reported that poll:

The SNP is set for a landslide victory in Labour held seats at May's General Election, according to a new poll.

Figures suggest 29 of Labour's 40 seats in Scotland could be won by the nationalists, with a 19-point swing in their favour since 2010.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/315654-snp-set-for-landslide-victory-in-labour-held-seats-says-itv-comres-poll/
    And that's working on the assumption of UNS. As even the poll shows the swing is not uniform. The SNP are getting goldilocks swing of just enough in every constituency according to Ashcroft.
    Scotgoespop has been scathing on some Scottish Unionist (not NI) newspapers who have been reporting the poll as if a nationwide one and getting about half and half seats Scotland-wide. He has worked out the actual equivalent figures and they are pretty much the usual bog standard Labour massacre.

But what is a goldilocks swing please??

The swing is juuuuuuust right.

So in constituencies that they need a 10 point swing they are getting a 10 point swing but not much more and in constituencies they need a 20 point swing they are getting a 20 point swing and not much more and in ones where they need 30 points... well they might be falling down there but they are getting close.

This means the SNP vote is very efficient - they aren't piling up too big numbers in a handful of constituencies that is pointlessly boosting their national number.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859
    Latest BJESUS

31.3.15 LAB 292 (292) CON 272(271) LD 30(30) UKIP 2(2) Others 54(55) (Ed is crap is PM)
    Last weeks BJESUS in brackets
    BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing) BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing)
    Using current polling adjusted for 36 days left to go factor and using UKPR standard swingometer
  • Options
    In these multi person debates, is the main factor that is the deciding factor, who will look the most like a Leader? Or are there any equally as important or more important factors? Is there any research into this area and how it influences the eventual vote.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

SMukesh said:

Pulpstar said:

SMukesh said:

So Lab pulling things back in Scotland which is not unexpected.Should put paid to the Alec Salmond masks.

The SNP is set for a landslide victory in Labour held seats at May's General Election, according to a new poll.

Figures suggest 29 of Labour's 40 seats in Scotland could be won by the nationalists, with a 19-point swing in their favour since 2010.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/315654-snp-set-for-landslide-victory-in-labour-held-seats-says-itv-comres-poll/
    And that's working on the assumption of UNS. As even the poll shows the swing is not uniform. The SNP are getting goldilocks swing of just enough in every constituency according to Ashcroft.
    Scotgoespop has been scathing on some Scottish Unionist (not NI) newspapers who have been reporting the poll as if a nationwide one and getting about half and half seats Scotland-wide. He has worked out the actual equivalent figures and they are pretty much the usual bog standard Labour massacre.

So in constituencies that they need a 10 point swing they are getting a 10 point swing but not much more and in constituencies they need a 20 point swing they are getting a 20 point swing and not much more and in ones where they need 30 points... well they might be falling down there but they are getting close.

This means the SNP vote is very efficient - they aren't piling up too big numbers in a handful of constituencies that is pointlessly boosting their national number.
    John Curtice has been giving his view on this, which is along the same lines:

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2015/04/comres-poll-of-labour-seats-confirms-labours-difficulties/
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,327
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

I can see the logic, but I'm not convinced. I've been giving this further thought since last week.

I'd divide the population for this purpose into five groups:

Hard left: 20%
    Soft left: 20%
    Soggy centre: 20%
    Soft right: 20%
    Hard right: 20%

Nigel Farage will bank on the hard right and David Cameron will bank on the soft right. David Cameron will also hope to take a good chunk of the soggy centre - maybe half.

The other 50% will be divided between five candidates. Ed Miliband is going to have to do exceptionally well (or badly) for this to coalesce above 30% around one candidate of the left.

This gives David Cameron an in-built advantage that is likely to be hard to overcome. Only Nigel Farage looks to me as though he can stop him unless David Cameron screws up.

I think you need to categorise according to both economics and socio-cultural, separately.

For the former across the UK (England is drier): 10% hard right, 25% economic soft right, 20% centrist and 40% economic left. 5% hard left.

On socio-cultural: 15% ultra-conservative, 40% conservative, 20% moderate, 15% soft liberal and 10% ultra-liberal
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    antifrank said:

Odd to see that zero hours contracts has had more purchase on pb, while the Guardian's rolling news blog is obsessed with the business leaders' letter.

I think the zero hours contract ban will have much more play with the public. Conservatives getting businesses on side is never going to be a big deal with the public, it is in line with expectations. That's why it was so effective when Blair was getting the same letters from the same businesses telling people that Labour was a safe pair of hands.

The only letter that would help the Cons would be one signed by a few thousand doctors and nurses saying that only the Cons can ensure a fully funded NHS.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

BenM said:

That's right - no growth per head. So all the Tory claims about GDP growth are based not on capital investment, innovation, productivity or paying our way in the world (trade deficit is at a record) but on larger numbers of people.

That is, on immigration

Tories should be applauding immigration. It's saved their skin on the question of the economy.
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB: I'm told it's @LordAshcroft practice to send incumbents in marginal seats being polled the data 30 minutes early. A tense few minutes
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Pulpstar

"Does the Comres poll include or exclude Falkirk by the way ?"

It excludes Falkirk on the dubious grounds that Joyce is no longer Labour. Hence the poll is not of the 41 seats Labour won in 2010, but of only 40.

One has to suspect that the poll was motivated by the certainty that it would show a much smaller SNP lead than a Scottish national poll, and allow Gardham and others to create a false impression of SLAB momentum.

However, I suspect they will only fool themselves, just as, particularly in the early polls, the support for independence was always quoted as, say, 25% to imply that No was 75% (when there was actually a significant undecided %)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,989
    FalseFlag said:

Plato said:

isam said:

So you are saying immigration hasn't put a strain on this country's infrastructure, including roads?
    No; in fact I've said that on here passim, particularly on the local effects. But Farage's sick blame-game for his own mistake says more about his own character than immigrants.

"The shop has sold out of bread. It's all the bloomin' immigrants' fault."
    "I can't be ars*d to get out of bed and get a job. It's all the bloomin' immigrants fault."

Before his M4 comments, I just thought he was a chancer who would say anything to attract people to his cause. That, and his comments on racism being dead, have moved me over to thinking that he's a very dangerous racist.

As are too many of his supporters.
  • Options

Indigo said:

1) It may not reduce costs. The old plane-based systems were massively expensive. Technology's improved, but also got much more expensive;
    2) It is a significant reduction in capability: there are vast areas of the globe that cruise missiles cannot reach, especially without risking interception;
    3) Any such system would put our ability to retaliate in a large scale war at risk: the enemy would know where our nukes were and could easily take them out. That's hopefully not true for a sub-based deterrent.

Not sure how much cheaper than a ICBM system they'd be, but cruise missiles can be sub launched can't they?
    Yes, range is pretty feeble compared to an ICBM, about 2000km from our Astute Class, which means incapable of hitting a fair chunk of Russia as there isn't any water near enough, also since they only fly at 800kph or so it would take over 2hrs to get there, which might not be that helpful.
    Presumably there wouldn't be much left since the American missiles would have got there first, thus denying the British the all-important strategic emotional satisfaction that is presumably the point of these things. Maybe the British could do a deal with the Americans where one of the ones they dropped counted as British, and vice versa? The Queen could write a message on it or something.
    Trident debates on here certainly bring out the inner Dr Strangelove of some people.
  • Options

@MSmithsonPB: I'm told it's @LordAshcroft practice to send incumbents in marginal seats being polled the data 30 minutes early. A tense few minutes

Squeaky bums in Broxtowe?
  • Options

When is the data released and when was it gathered?
  • Options

We don't know which seats he's polled.

But if you see Anna Soubry heading into a bookies in the next 30 mins....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think the zero hours contract ban will have much more play with the public.

Perhaps, but the message is "We will stand with you on the picket lines, while we legislate to make it harder for business to create jobs..."

The first bit sounds great
  • Options

When is the data released and when was it gathered?
    Midday and I'm guessing sometime in March
  • Options
    @BBCRealityCheck: ONS figures show 66% of people on #zerohours contracts said they did not want more hours
  • Options
    Lucy Powell, genius at work...

@iainjwatson: Ed Miliband tells workers at David Brown engineering he'llclamp down on zero hrs contracts but no one here is on one http://t.co/G03HhCCUNn
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332

This is Serenity Central. :-)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCRealityCheck: ONS figures show 66% of people on #zerohours contracts said they did not want more hours

Hours isn't really the issue though surely? It's about security I would have thought.
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Pulpstar

"Does the Comres poll include or exclude Falkirk by the way ?"

It excludes Falkirk on the dubious grounds that Joyce is no longer Labour. Hence the poll is not of the 41 seats Labour won in 2010, but of only 40.

One has to suspect that the poll was motivated by the certainty that it would show a much smaller SNP lead than a Scottish national poll, and allow Gardham and others to create a false impression of SLAB momentum.

However, I suspect they will only fool themselves, just as, particularly in the early polls, the support for independence was always quoted as, say, 25% to imply that No was 75% (when there was actually a significant undecided %)

I'm glad they've excluded Falkirk as well as mentioned Lib, Lab, Con before the VI question and also downweighted the SNP in the tables. Call me a cynic but whoever commissiond the poll probably wanted to find Lab, SNP within the margin of error which it could well have been.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Isam,

"Incredible how people can misunderstand things when they are fuelled by dogma."

People believe what they want to believe. Scientists take precautions to avoid this but even then, it doesn't always work.

Incidentally, the new 'tough' softy Walter must be a deliberate move. Ed remains all mouth and trousers* Take on Len, Ed, then we'll believe you.

*This is the correct saying from the fifties. A loud voice = confidence. Trousers = authority (sorry, Hattie).

All mouth and trousers = someone who has the trappings of authority with no balls underneath.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Wow there are some utter w-w-w-wallies on here
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Isam,

"Incredible how people can misunderstand things when they are fuelled by dogma."

People believe what they want to believe. Scientists take precautions to avoid this but even then, it doesn't always work.

Incidentally, the new 'tough' softy Walter must be a deliberate move. Ed remains all mouth and trousers* Take on Len, Ed, then we'll believe you.

*This is the correct saying from the fifties. A loud voice = confidence. Trousers = authority (sorry, Hattie).

All mouth and trousers = someone who has the trappings of authority with no balls underneath.

I prefer the Texican phrase of all hat, no cattle
  • Options
    Ed's zero hour contract focus: Fail.
  • Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

That's right - no growth per head. So all the Tory claims about GDP growth are based not on capital investment, innovation, productivity or paying our way in the world (trade deficit is at a record) but on larger numbers of people.

That is, on immigration

Tories should be applauding immigration. It's saved their skin on the question of the economy.
    I don't think that's true now. PPP per capita is up very slightly compared to pre-crash levels. Factor in about 0.7% GDP growth in Q12015 with 0% inflation and it should be up by a reasonable amount.

Still that's not to say we don't have a huge productivity and investment issue. However, the government aren't completely to blame for poor productivity, companies and workers are though. Not just that but so many people have come off long term sickness benefits and been forced into the workplace that it would naturally drag down productivity. In France the absolute employment level is 64.5% vs 73.3% here, so unproductive people just don't have jobs. I would prefer our situation with higher employment and more jobs. Solving productivity is something that can be done over time, unemployment is a much harder problem to solve.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,688
    antifrank said:

Alistair said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

SMukesh said:

Pulpstar said:

SMukesh said:

John Curtice has been giving his view on this, which is along the same lines:

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2015/04/comres-poll-of-labour-seats-confirms-labours-difficulties/
    Many thanks to you and @Alistair - a decidedly more intelligent appreciation (and most interesting in its implications) than some of the tripe in the media.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited April 2015

The reason abolishing exploitative ZHCs a vote-winner is that they work as a trap. You're looking for work, and will lose your benefit if you don't accept it. You're offered a deal whereby employer X says he'll sometimes employ you, when he needs you, and you must always be available. In practice, he uses you say 2 days out of 5. Your income is pathetic, but if you quit you're "voluntarily unemployed" and you aren't entitled to benefit. You're not allowed to take other work. How do you escape?

The way you tell it it's the government's benefit rules that are slapping the employee around the face, not the employer. Instead of making new laws interfering with everybody's contracts, couldn't the government change its benefit rules to stop slapping the employee around the face?

PS. I know, I know, slapping job-seekers around the face is electorally popular, and so is slapping the people who might employ them.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Hours isn't really the issue though surely? It's about security I would have thought.

That's something that can largely be addressed by good and early communication from the employer.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

I think the zero hours contract ban will have much more play with the public.

Perhaps, but the message is "We will stand with you on the picket lines, while we legislate to make it harder for business to create jobs..."

The first bit sounds great
    The issue is that Ed is playing a 35% strategy, and for that 35% an attack on ZHCs will play very well. It is all bullshit, but Ed knows his audience well and they will lap it up.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    One person's low productivity is another person's ideal work/life balance.
  • Options
    http://sports.coral.co.uk/political-specials/uk/2015-tv-debates/2015-debate-matchbets-2655093.html

One or two interesting bets here -

Sturgeon @ 4-7 vs Wood looks value to me and there is another that I'm sure you can all work out for yourselves, though you have to factor in being paid out at a shorter price etc etc....
  • Options
    @callummay: Ed Miliband is asked how many MPs have private healthcare at Huddersfield factory. "Not me and not anyone I know," he says #ge2015

@ChrisGibsonNews: So is Ed Miliband saying he doesn't know anyone with private healthcare? #GE2015

Fact checking in 5, 4, 3...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited April 2015

Scott_P said:

Eds big mistake on ZHC is that he didn't define them in an easily understandable and clear way.

Type 1: Predator ZHC (eg Tory)
    Type 2: Producer ZHC (eg Labour)
  • Options
    chestnut said:

That's something that can largely be addressed by good and early communication from the employer.
    What does that mean? Surely the point of zero hours is that people can be fired at a moment's notice. If you believe that kind of flexibility is what an economy needs and might produce more jobs then you back it. If you think it leads to huge insecurity for people on the contracts who won't know where they'll likely be in a week or month's time, you don't.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

I think the zero hours contract ban will have much more play with the public. Conservatives getting businesses on side is never going to be a big deal with the public, it is in line with expectations. That's why it was so effective when Blair was getting the same letters from the same businesses telling people that Labour was a safe pair of hands.

The only letter that would help the Cons would be one signed by a few thousand doctors and nurses saying that only the Cons can ensure a fully funded NHS.
    The zero hours contract ban will bolster the votes of those who assume that zero hours contracts are exploitative (though I expect most of those were already voting Labour). It will lose Labour the votes of many of those who are on zero hours contracts who actually like the set-up because it suits their personal circumstances.

I agree with you about the business letter, which to me is at best a non-event and more likely confirms the image of the Conservatives as the party of the rich.
This discussion has been closed.