Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the debates are happening

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,334
    In the 16th April debate while the nats and Greens will be anti austerity and populist, Farage will be pro austerity and for spending cuts, just populist in ending ringfencing of overseas aid etc

Of course the Tories would have elected IDS had there been debates, Labour elected Ed Miliband after the 2010 debates after all, indeed IDS was seen to have had the better of Clarke in the one newsnight debate they had.

Flightpath The most charismatic candidate does not always win every debate, for example David Davis won the Tory leadership debates, and Mitt Romney beat Obama in the first 2012 debate, as Kerry beat Bush in the first 2004 debate
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

MikeK said:

If the Mail's story on Afzal Amin is correct

That's a monster "if" - in general when people are accused of something by the Daily Mail the working assumption shouldn't be that it's true.
    Only exception being if it's a smear on UKIP, eh!
    No - I'm not a fan of the Tories, but the Mail is not a reliable information source. From time to time they write things that are true, but that's not a good working assumption.
    So which of the daily UK press do you trust as a reliable information source - surely not the Guardian?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,085
    stodge - I'm simply amazed that a party that fought the last election to the left of new Labour could be happy with the last 5 years of coalition government. As for the Lib Dems having no choice, well they could have played their hand better. They could have struck a better deal on the coalition, rather than not running a singe major department and having less than 20% of the cabinet ministers in spite of nearly 40% of the coalition's votes. Secondly Clegg should have laid down the law as soon as the likes on Lansley started revealing their radical plans - you the Tories accept that you didn't win the election, that the coalition will be a centrist mush or we are out of here. But Clegg wold never do that would he? By making it clear that he would never pull out of the coalition a party that hadn't won an election for nearly two decades suddenly had the confidence to be bold.

No doubt Clegg thinks he's restrained the Tories and kept them on a tight leash. I prefer the Portillo analysis - the coalition has liberated the Tories to do things they'd have been afraid of doing under the Tory banner. But I doubt Clegg cares. I doubt he's much bothered with the country heading in a centre-right direction, just so long as he looks like the shrewd negotiator who's doing smart deals.

To pick just one example - foreign policy. Philip Stephens wrote a good piece in the FT the other day. Essentially that this has been the most parochial government in modern times with a PM who regards the rest of the world as somewhere to go on holiday. If the Lib Dems had been in opposition they'd surely have been slating Cameron day after day with their sincere internationalism. But inside the tent they conveniently look the other way.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

English newspapers have totally lost the plot............pathetic cretins
    https://archive.today/Kjcyc

I had been thinking of doing a piece on whether Salmond will prove to be a Charles Parnell for the 21st century but decided it would get sidetracked to easily and in any case, the answer's obvious.
    He's having an affair, getting divorced & setting back the cause of independence by 20 years?
    That aspect of it was another reason why it didn't get written. In fact, the first line was going to be something like "no historical parallel is perfect ..."

Even so, if Politics Was Ireland for Gladstone, in no small way has it been - and will it be - Scotland for his successors today.
    Would be a good Saturday thread for sure David
    Thanks. I may still do it dependent on events. It's unlikely to appear before May 7 now as there should be too much happening week by week to respond to and I did a Scotland piece yesterday so don't want to become overly focussed on that particular post-election 'what if' when there so much else going on.

If, however, the 'what if' becomes an 'is now', then it'll be a question well worth looking at (and history revisiting).
    Be better after election , see how that actually pans out and the likely implications etc if as expected the SNP win a large amount of seats. I expect you will have lots of good material for Saturdays from the election result.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

Lay Labour at 8-1 in Dumfriesshire Clydesdale and Tweeddale by backing

Tories @ 4-5 (William Hills)
    SNP @ 2-1 (Ladbrokes)

Place the Tory bets first

Shadsy makes them a 25-1 chance (Labour) and that's probably generous so this should return 12% in 40 days:

DYOR

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you have to place the bets in that order?

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    So it was Cameron who knifed Clegg re: the April 16th debate. But Stodge and the Liberals would , no doubt, say it shows the "importance" of the Lib Dems that they are being excluded.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    Financier said:

MikeK said:

If the Mail's story on Afzal Amin is correct

That's a monster "if" - in general when people are accused of something by the Daily Mail the working assumption shouldn't be that it's true.
    Only exception being if it's a smear on UKIP, eh!
    No - I'm not a fan of the Tories, but the Mail is not a reliable information source. From time to time they write things that are true, but that's not a good working assumption.
    So which of the daily UK press do you trust as a reliable information source - surely not the Guardian?
    They all need to be read critically, but the Guardian is certainly less unreliable than the Mail.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

Lay Labour at 8-1 in Dumfriesshire Clydesdale and Tweeddale by backing

Tories @ 4-5 (William Hills)
    SNP @ 2-1 (Ladbrokes)

Place the Tory bets first

Shadsy makes them a 25-1 chance (Labour) and that's probably generous so this should return 12% in 40 days:

DYOR

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you have to place the bets in that order?

I have to at any rate, Hills will restrict me first.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    @Paul_Mid_Beds:

Re 'shy' UKIP supporters.

I had dinner the other night and one of the guests was a very senior civil servant. She was a UKIP supporter. Now, she might be shy about boasting about it at work - but she wasn't shy admitting it to us. And I'm sure she wouldn't be shy admitting it to a pollster. Why should she?
  • Options

stodge - I'm simply amazed that a party that fought the last election to the left of new Labour could be happy with the last 5 years of coalition government. As for the Lib Dems having no choice, well they could have played their hand better. They could have struck a better deal on the coalition, rather than not running a singe major department and having less than 20% of the cabinet ministers in spite of nearly 40% of the coalition's votes. Secondly Clegg should have laid down the law as soon as the likes on Lansley started revealing their radical plans - you the Tories accept that you didn't win the election, that the coalition will be a centrist mush or we are out of here. But Clegg wold never do that would he? By making it clear that he would never pull out of the coalition a party that hadn't won an election for nearly two decades suddenly had the confidence to be bold.

No doubt Clegg thinks he's restrained the Tories and kept them on a tight leash. I prefer the Portillo analysis - the coalition has liberated the Tories to do things they'd have been afraid of doing under the Tory banner. But I doubt Clegg cares. I doubt he's much bothered with the country heading in a centre-right direction, just so long as he looks like the shrewd negotiator who's doing smart deals.

To pick just one example - foreign policy. Philip Stephens wrote a good piece in the FT the other day. Essentially that this has been the most parochial government in modern times with a PM who regards the rest of the world as somewhere to go on holiday. If the Lib Dems had been in opposition they'd surely have been slating Cameron day after day with their sincere internationalism. But inside the tent they conveniently look the other way.

The Lib Dems were poor negotiators. They forgot one simple rule: Nothing could be passed without their agreement. In that sense they were equal partners.

They might argue, but the Tories would have gone alone ! Really ? If they could they would not have asked the Lib Dems to form a coalition.

I do not think Clegg could negotiate out of a paper bag. As for Alexander, he 's only a Lib Dem because he stood in Inverness. After a massive defeat, whatever Easterross says, he will be a Tory party member in a few months time - down South.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    rcs1000 said:

@Paul_Mid_Beds:

I had dinner the other night and one of the guests was a very senior civil servant. She was a UKIP supporter. Now, she might be shy about boasting about it at work - but she wasn't shy admitting it to us. And I'm sure she wouldn't be shy admitting it to a pollster. Why should she?

Because heads of childrens services, who are willing to overlook the mass raping of young girls by muslim taxi drivers, think that voting UKIP is such a disgusting and vile thing to do that you are unfit to look after children.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    tyson said:

Roger said:

I've always thought the reason the Tories are generally disliked has far more to do with their supporters than their policies. Which is why I believe stories like the Clarkson affair resonate more than the budget.

Roger- I think you are onto something there. Seeing Staines (guido) yesterday on the news with his tank stunt; he just comes across as an unpleasant man.
    The Tories are struggling with the female vote, so what does Cameron do? He publicly backs Clarkson. How ill advised is that? I doubt very much that Lynton Crosby, a product of the macho fuelled politics of Australia understands how the Tories can connect with females.

Is there a detailed breakdown of Cameron's supposed women problem? The only detailed polling data I've looked at is a south coast LD CON marginal (Ashcroft), where Cameron was streets ahead amongst women.

Wonder if Ed is in fact piling up (sic) female support exactly where he doesn't need it, and weaker in marginals where there is greater understanding that not voting Tory will lead to Ed moving into no. 10.
  • Options
    notme said:

rcs1000 said:

@Paul_Mid_Beds:

Because heads of childrens services, who are willing to overlook the mass raping of young girls by muslim taxi drivers, think that voting UKIP is such a disgusting and vile thing to do that you are unfit to look after children.
    But why would that stop you telling the truth to a nice young lady on the phone?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465
    stodge said:

I've argued on here before that Charles Kennedy had huge good fortune in his time as leader since he faced a weak and ineffective Conservative Party but in Iraq found an issue around which he could draw many who were not naturally sympathetic to the LDs.

It's no secret that policy development atrophied in his time as leader so that when Cameron became Conservative leader in 2005, the LDs simply had no response to his new approach.

In many ways, that inability to respond to Cameron has framed British politics since. Once Kennedy was deemed expendable, the party responded by choosing gravitas in the shape of Sir Menzies Campbell and that wasn't a bad idea. An older leader to appeal to an ageing electorate was probably the most sensible move but unfortunately excellent though Sir Menzies was in the Court room, he didn't shine in the modern televisual world.

One thing Campbell did begin was to re-formulate policy and sharpen the differences with Labour but the election of Nick Clegg was a conscious effort to out-Cameron the Conservatives in terms of youth and televisual appeal.

Kennedy had an excess of good fortune and the root of the Lib Dems' future problems lie mainly with him. He talked about replacing the Tories as one of the two main parties but simultaneously tried to occupy the left-wing ground Blair had vacated. The two strategies were never compatible.

If he really wanted to replace the Tories, he should have adopted an Orange Book approach and made a bid for the liberal centre (which isn't at all incompatible with opposition to Iraq); if he wanted to occupy the Old Labour ground, he could do that too, playing a longer term game to wait for Labour to fail in government and aim to pick up their losses. What he couldn't do was both, as it implied making implicit promises that couldn't be kept.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

[snip]

So if you have done so good, how come your party is being demolished in front of our very eyes ! If you say that is the price of being in government, I don't see the same happening to the Tories.

The truth is no one but yourselves think you are the party of government. Everyone knows it the Tories who are in power and you helped them stay there.

The deficit reduction plan of 2010: The government is "off" about £60bn from that. Remember we would have been in surplus this year. The Tuition fees would have cost an extra billion.

But, of course, we couldn't afford that ! But we can be £60bn adrift. The world has not caved in as a result.

The party built by Steel, Ashdown , Kennedy now lies in ruins. My local MP, Davey, could not even bring himself to use the word "disproportionate" on Israel's inhuman attack on Gaza. These are the cowards you have in your party !
    The party lies in ruins in no small part because of the lazy and opportunistic path taken by Ashdown and Kennedy, first cosying up to New Labour and then trying to outflank them on the left while nominally attacking the Tories who, at the time, were the weaker of the two main parties. That strategy was always bound to end in disaster because it had no coherence and was not based on ideological principle; they sold their party's soul for a few election gains.

Ultimately, the chickens were always going to come home to roost. Those MPs gained meant it was likely that at some point they'd end up holding the balance of power, and then what? All the contradictions in policy and local electoral stance would be exposed and undo all the effort of the previous 15-20 years. Furthermore, anyone with any foresight (and patience) would have foreseen that it was highly likely that it would be a Conservative government they'd be supporting: in part because of their stance on fair votes and in part because of the electoral momentum. With 80+ non-Con/Lab MPs, the first election that Labour lost was always likely to be hung and the option would be to prop up a tired-out Labour Party which had just lost a load of seats, or a Conservative Party which had gained them.

But such foresight raised to many difficult questions which could be ignored until they were asked directly and in the meantime there'd be the golden glow of by-election successes - and Ashdown and Kennedy were distracted by the shiny things in front of them sufficiently to ignore the cliff edge they were driving towards.
    So those two Tories, Clegg & Alexander are off the hook then ?
    They are off the hook for the cards they've been dealt, though not for how they've played them.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Andrew Neil to Jim Murphy ..... "Scottish Labour heading for the knackers yard."

Sitting on the fence again Mr Neil. :smile:
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Mortimer said:

tyson said:

Roger said:

I've always thought the reason the Tories are generally disliked has far more to do with their supporters than their policies. Which is why I believe stories like the Clarkson affair resonate more than the budget.

Roger- I think you are onto something there. Seeing Staines (guido) yesterday on the news with his tank stunt; he just comes across as an unpleasant man.
    The Tories are struggling with the female vote, so what does Cameron do? He publicly backs Clarkson. How ill advised is that? I doubt very much that Lynton Crosby, a product of the macho fuelled politics of Australia understands how the Tories can connect with females.

Is there a detailed breakdown of Cameron's supposed women problem? The only detailed polling data I've looked at is a south coast LD CON marginal (Ashcroft), where Cameron was streets ahead amongst women.

Wonder if Ed is in fact piling up (sic) female support exactly where he doesn't need it, and weaker in marginals where there is greater understanding that not voting Tory will lead to Ed moving into no. 10.
    "The ICM Wisdom Index, which questioned 2,000 people online, suggested that last week’s Budget had made no difference to the overall standing of the parties.

However, for only the second time in the three-year history of the Wisdom Index, Labour and the Tories are neck-and-neck among women voters, who predict that both parties will receive 31 per cent on Polling Day. Labour has traditionally held a lead over the Conservatives among women, while men are more likely to back the Tories.

Martin Boon, head of research at ICM Unlimited, said: “The Conservatives are slowly edging away from Labour. Women are now backing the Tories in exactly the same numbers as Labour, which is something only witnessed once before. The stars might be aligning for a moderate Tory electoral surge.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11488052/ICM-Wisdom-Index-Tories-hold-slim-lead-over-Labour.html
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

tyson said:

Roger said:

The Ashcroft data suggests that Labour's doing better in the marginals. The big question is whether that will be sustained through the election campaign.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995
    edited March 2015
    The LDs were poor negotiators and made the mistake at the outset of the Coaliton to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Tories not just on policy but also in attacks on Labour. This sent a very strong message to voters on the centre left and one that will no doubt cost the LDs very dear in May. However, they have always believed in coalitions because they were the only way to get into power and it was perfectly reasonable for them to go into one with the Tories - especially as Labour had been roundly defeated. Were they to get to rework the way they agreed the deal, undoubtedly they would take a very different approach. But they were learning and they made errors. Who doesn't?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Car crash for Jim Murphy here.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

stodge said:

[snip]

So if you have done so good, how come your party is being demolished in front of our very eyes ! If you say that is the price of being in government, I don't see the same happening to the Tories.

The deficit reduction plan of 2010: The government is "off" about £60bn from that. Remember we would have been in surplus this year. The Tuition fees would have cost an extra billion.

But, of course, we couldn't afford that ! But we can be £60bn adrift. The world has not caved in as a result.

The party built by Steel, Ashdown , Kennedy now lies in ruins. My local MP, Davey, could not even bring himself to use the word "disproportionate" on Israel's inhuman attack on Gaza. These are the cowards you have in your party !
    The party lies in ruins in no small part because of the lazy and opportunistic path taken by Ashdown and Kennedy, first cosying up to New Labour and then trying to outflank them on the left while nominally attacking the Tories who, at the time, were the weaker of the two main parties. That strategy was always bound to end in disaster because it had no coherence and was not based on ideological principle; they sold their party's soul for a few election gains.

Ultimately, the chickens were always going to come home to roost. Those MPs gained meant it was likely that at some point they'd end up holding the balance of power, and then what? All the contradictions in policy and local electoral stance would be exposed and undo all the effort of the previous 15-20 years. Furthermore, anyone with any foresight (and patience) would have foreseen that it was highly likely that it would be a Conservative government they'd be supporting: in part because of their stance on fair votes and in part because of the electoral momentum. With 80+ non-Con/Lab MPs, the first election that Labour lost was always likely to be hung and the option would be to prop up a tired-out Labour Party which had just lost a load of seats, or a Conservative Party which had gained them.

But such foresight raised to many difficult questions which could be ignored until they were asked directly and in the meantime there'd be the golden glow of by-election successes - and Ashdown and Kennedy were distracted by the shiny things in front of them sufficiently to ignore the cliff edge they were driving towards.
    So those two Tories, Clegg & Alexander are off the hook then ?
    They are off the hook for the cards they've been dealt, though not for how they've played them.
    Congratulations that is an apt and succinct way to put it.
  • Options

stodge said:

I've argued on here before that Charles Kennedy had huge good fortune in his time as leader since he faced a weak and ineffective Conservative Party but in Iraq found an issue around which he could draw many who were not naturally sympathetic to the LDs.

It's no secret that policy development atrophied in his time as leader so that when Cameron became Conservative leader in 2005, the LDs simply had no response to his new approach.

In many ways, that inability to respond to Cameron has framed British politics since. Once Kennedy was deemed expendable, the party responded by choosing gravitas in the shape of Sir Menzies Campbell and that wasn't a bad idea. An older leader to appeal to an ageing electorate was probably the most sensible move but unfortunately excellent though Sir Menzies was in the Court room, he didn't shine in the modern televisual world.

One thing Campbell did begin was to re-formulate policy and sharpen the differences with Labour but the election of Nick Clegg was a conscious effort to out-Cameron the Conservatives in terms of youth and televisual appeal.

Kennedy had an excess of good fortune and the root of the Lib Dems' future problems lie mainly with him. He talked about replacing the Tories as one of the two main parties but simultaneously tried to occupy the left-wing ground Blair had vacated. The two strategies were never compatible.

If he really wanted to replace the Tories, he should have adopted an Orange Book approach and made a bid for the liberal centre (which isn't at all incompatible with opposition to Iraq); if he wanted to occupy the Old Labour ground, he could do that too, playing a longer term game to wait for Labour to fail in government and aim to pick up their losses. What he couldn't do was both, as it implied making implicit promises that couldn't be kept.
    The SNP has successfully outflanked Labour and still not lost the "Scottish" vote whether they be Tartan Tories, Liberals or otherwise.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935

notme said:

"Lynton Crosby’s polling elves, backed up by what Tory MPs are finding on the doorstep, believe that support for Labour among the C2 skilled working class is “soft”, a phrase you also hear from some Labour MPs."

This is kind of what i was inferring the other day. But you dont seem to be picking it up. We are picking up our vote as been solid and not budging, but getting indecision from traditional Labour voters.
    It's interesting that whenever I report that Ed Miliband's unfitness to be Prime Minister is a huge issue on the doorsteps, no-one from Labour ever refutes it....

Dont think many Lefties deny EIC is a drag on LAB.

With a better leader GE 2015 would be in the bag for LAB.

I happen to think the desire of voters to remove the Tories will still mean they vote LAB in sufficient numbers anyway to allow EICIPM on 8/5/15
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

Mortimer said:

tyson said:

Roger said:

The Ashcroft data suggests that Labour's doing better in the marginals. The big question is whether that will be sustained through the election campaign.
    IIRC, the (admittedly very specific) data I saw showed women voters preferring Cameron than Miliband more than Tory vs Labour, meaning that if the race is tight and people are more concerned about who is PM than who is their local MP, the Tories could sneak far more marginals than wider data (I.e. Party based VI and national polls).

Wishful thinking perhaps, but for those who have studied the separate marginal polls rather than the trend: Is this a common theme in Ashcroft marginal data? Could be yet another indicator of a perfect storm out of which Ed cannot escape....

• Options
    surbiton said:

stodge - I'm simply amazed that a party that fought the last election to the left of new Labour could be happy with the last 5 years of coalition government. As for the Lib Dems having no choice, well they could have played their hand better. They could have struck a better deal on the coalition, rather than not running a singe major department and having less than 20% of the cabinet ministers in spite of nearly 40% of the coalition's votes. Secondly Clegg should have laid down the law as soon as the likes on Lansley started revealing their radical plans - you the Tories accept that you didn't win the election, that the coalition will be a centrist mush or we are out of here. But Clegg wold never do that would he? By making it clear that he would never pull out of the coalition a party that hadn't won an election for nearly two decades suddenly had the confidence to be bold. Essentially that this has been the most parochial government in modern times with a PM who regards the rest of the world as somewhere to go on holiday. If the Lib Dems had been in opposition they'd surely have been slating Cameron day after day with their sincere internationalism. But inside the tent they conveniently look the other way.

The Lib Dems were poor negotiators. They forgot one simple rule: Nothing could be passed without their agreement. In that sense they were equal partners.

They might argue, but the Tories would have gone alone ! Really ? If they could they would not have asked the Lib Dems to form a coalition.

I do not think Clegg could negotiate out of a paper bag. As for Alexander, he 's only a Lib Dem because he stood in Inverness. After a massive defeat, whatever Easterross says, he will be a Tory party member in a few months time - down South.

That's a good point about equal partners. However I think it's unlikely Alexander will join the Tories. An old documentary I saw recently helped to explain the Lib Dems and the coalition to me. It was on the Tories during the Europe wars in the 90s. Ken Clarke made the point that he could see the party was moving away from him as young people who would have been Tories were joining the Lib Dems over the Europe issue, hence the Tories becoming overall very Euroscpetic. So the Lib Dems became filled with pro-European Tories. Naturally with the onset of new Labour and the vacating of the left, that was the space the Lib Dems could naturally fill. But clearly many of them didn't believe in that. Which is fine, except if you fight 3 elections to the left of Labour you can't suddenly embrace a coalition with Thatcher's children and think because you're restraining them a bit, that will somehow be good enough.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    Tyson

The connection between Clarkson and Cameron go deeper than Cameron's solidarity with his mucker over punching his hapless underling. There was all the publicity surrounding the Brooks Coulson Clarkson Cameron 'Chipping Norton set' described so eloquently by Peter Oborne. What's more I doubt it's just women who aren't fans of macho petrol heads. What about the 'green' ex Lib Dems?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

notme said:

rcs1000 said:

@Paul_Mid_Beds:

But why would that stop you telling the truth to a nice young lady on the phone?
    A little voice in the back of your head. Members of the BNP (and i dont make an equivalence between the two, but others do) were hounded out of jobs. From bus drivers to teachers. They essentially became unemployable. In polite society stating you vote UKIP is the moral equivalence of BNP.

If you are sensitive to being judged by others, and most of us are, then this can be a factor.
  • Options
    I'd vote LibDem again if it was the best way to defeat a Tory candidate. It just so happens that Labour is best placed in my constituency. Not that it will make much difference. If Labour wins in Warwick then it will win close to a majority. And I don't see that happening.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In the 16th April debate while the nats and Greens will be anti austerity and populist, Farage will be pro austerity and for spending cuts, just populist in ending ringfencing of overseas aid etc

Of course the Tories would have elected IDS had there been debates, Labour elected Ed Miliband after the 2010 debates after all, indeed IDS was seen to have had the better of Clarke in the one newsnight debate they had.

Flightpath The most charismatic candidate does not always win every debate, for example David Davis won the Tory leadership debates, and Mitt Romney beat Obama in the first 2012 debate, as Kerry beat Bush in the first 2004 debate

Did he? Cameron was streets ahead of Davis. I went to one of the hustings. It wasnt that close.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,327

The LDs were poor negotiators and made the mistake at the outset of the Coaliton to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Tories not just on policy but also in attacks on Labour. This sent a very strong message to voters on the centre left and one that will no doubt cost the LDs very dear in May. However, they have always believed in coalitions because they were the only way to get into power and it was perfectly reasonable for them to go into one with the Tories - especially as Labour had been roundly defeated. Were they to get to rework the way they agreed the deal, undoubtedly they would take a very different approach. But they were learning and they made errors. Who doesn't?

Yes, how dare the Lib Dems attack Labour. I mean, it wasn't as if Labour was attacking the Lib Dems, was it?

Ajnd you also seem to misunderstand coalition.
  • Options
    notme Davis clearly won the BBC televised debate with Cameron according to post debate polls
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    edited March 2015
    FrankBooth

Very good post on the mistakes of the Lib Dems.

Someone also suggested Lamb or Farron as a possible leader! Come the Lib Dem revolution Lamb will be third Infront of the firing squad only marginally behind Clegg and Alexander
  • Options
    Amusing this morning to note some seasoned PB contributors simply don't understand the essential dynamics of a coalition that has lasted five years, namely :

Both parties gets some, but clearly not all, of their programme and have to compromise unless the policy is a red line deal breaker.

Once an agreement is reached all government business belongs to the Coalition and not just one party. Everything is political flim flam and posturing.
  • Options
    notme said:

rcs1000 said:

notme said:

rcs1000 said:

@Paul_Mid_Beds:

A little voice in the back of your head. Members of the BNP (and i dont make an equivalence between the two, but others do) were hounded out of jobs. From bus drivers to teachers. They essentially became unemployable. In polite society stating you vote UKIP is the moral equivalence of BNP.

If you are sensitive to being judged by others, and most of us are, then this can be a factor.
    I'm sorry, I don't buy this.

Everyone I know has a view on UKIP. Some positive, some negative, But no-one denies that their views are perfectly sensible ones to hold, even if they disagree with them.

They are not the PIE.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Yes, how dare the Lib Dems attack Labour. I mean, it wasn't as if Labour was attacking the Lib Dems, was it?

The LDs made the mistake of attacking Labour - which they had always done - standing shoulder to shoulder with the Tories. Whether you like that or not, it was something that centre left voters who had previously supported the LDs, or been sympathetic to them, noticed. And it will cost them in May. In the same way, Labour had always attacked the SNP in Scotland. But during the referendum they were seen to do it shoulder to shoulder with the Tories. And it will cost Labour hugely.

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Miliband is in the second debate to ensure Cameron`s empty chair gets talked about.

I would imagine Miliband and Farage ganging up on Cameron in the first debate and accusing him of being a coward.
  • Options
    roger - I think Cameron and Clarkson are much more naural bedfellows than people realise. I really think Cameron is an extremely uncultivated individual but his class background tends to hide it. Hence the Philip Stephens article and the senior official saying Cameron thinks the rest of the world is somewhere to go on holiday. But with the extreme privilege as the son of an old school stock broker and a magistrate, people don't buy it.
  • Options

I'd vote LibDem again if it was the best way to defeat a Tory candidate. It just so happens that Labour is best placed in my constituency. Not that it will make much difference. If Labour wins in Warwick then it will win close to a majority. And I don't see that happening.

If Labour wins Warwick and Leamington by 4 votes say they'll be around 310 seats I think.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935

ICM Wisdom Index: Tories hold slim lead over Labour

Ed Miliband's Labour party loses its lead among women as David Cameron prepares to visit the Queen before launching the formal General Election campaign

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11488052/ICM-Wisdom-Index-Tories-hold-slim-lead-over-Labour.html

What was las WI result?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If Labour wins Warwick and Leamington by 4 votes say they'll be around 310 seats I think.

As I said, unlikely. But I'll do my bit. That said, I am not very keen on a Labour government either.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32007767
    Despite what he local police are saying: first they come for the Jews.
    Six men have been arrested after they forced their way into a synagogue in north London.
  • Options

ICM Wisdom Index: Tories hold slim lead over Labour

Ed Miliband's Labour party loses its lead among women as David Cameron prepares to visit the Queen before launching the formal General Election campaign

What was las WI result?
    Very close I think.

31 Labour 32 Tories sees Ed home in a very weak Gov't with Salmond propping him up.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

310 seats or 310 - 30 [ for Scotland ] ?

My MP, the charlatan Ed Davey has sent round a leaflet saying he is best placed to stop the Tories.

No Ed, in 2010 the Tories were stopped from gaining a majority. You sold your soul to put them in power.

Once bitten, twice shy !

Ed Davey could not bring himself to use the word "disproportionate" during the Israeli onslaught on Gaza, let alone condemn it. The son of a b**ch now wants my support !!
  • Options
    edited March 2015

roger - I think Cameron and Clarkson are much more naural bedfellows than people realise. I really think Cameron is an extremely uncultivated individual but his class background tends to hide it. Hence the Philip Stephens article and the senior official saying Cameron thinks the rest of the world is somewhere to go on holiday. But with the extreme privilege as the son of an old school stock broker and a magistrate, people don't buy it.

I disagree. Clarkson is just a tedious saloon bar boor. Cameron is clearly highly intelligent. My guess is that as a consummate PR man Dave is very good at making friends with folk who in private he finds rather distasteful, but who he feels are useful to him in public. If you are a politician and you have the chance to play buddies with newspaper editors and widely read/watched journalists then you do so. Whether, ultimately, that is wise or not is another question entirely.

• Options
    SO I was on the selection panel which picked Chris White for the 2005 election after the 2001 defeat in Warwick, I also did some campaigning for him in Hall Green in 2001, he is an effective local campaigner and will not be easy to beat, especially as former MP James Plaskitt is no longer the Labour candidate
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    rcs1000 said:

notme said:

rcs1000 said:

notme said:

rcs1000 said:

@Paul_Mid_Beds:

Everyone I know has a view on UKIP. Some positive, some negative, But no-one denies that their views are perfectly sensible ones to hold, even if they disagree with them.

They are not the PIE.
    In the eyes of people like social services they seem to be worse than PIE
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

notme said:

"Lynton Crosby’s polling elves, backed up by what Tory MPs are finding on the doorstep, believe that support for Labour among the C2 skilled working class is “soft”, a phrase you also hear from some Labour MPs."

This is kind of what i was inferring the other day. But you dont seem to be picking it up. We are picking up our vote as been solid and not budging, but getting indecision from traditional Labour voters.
    It's interesting that whenever I report that Ed Miliband's unfitness to be Prime Minister is a huge issue on the doorsteps, no-one from Labour ever refutes it....

Dont think many Lefties deny EIC is a drag on LAB.

With a better leader GE 2015 would be in the bag for LAB.

I happen to think the desire of voters to remove the Tories will still mean they vote LAB in sufficient numbers anyway to allow EICIPM on 8/5/15
    The problem is if E turns out to be more C than expected in government, he is going to bury Labour for a generation. So many ways to intensely piss off floating voters, too much euromania, too much political correctness, too many judge led enquiries into things no one cares about, too much bowing and scraping to the unions, too little done about jobs/housing, too little done about Chilcot, too little done about Rotherham and way way too much pissing money up the wall and crashing the economy into the ground.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2015

The LDs were well prepared for the coalition negotiations and the coalition agreement has been favourable to Lib Dem policies, particularly considering their fewer MPs.

Where the Lib Dems went wrong was the tuition fee pledge. This was promoted by the left wing of the party and Clegg was reluctant to sign up to it, only doing so when a majority of his candidates had already done so. Vince Cable was supposed to veto any over costly spending promises but tuition fees seem to have slipped through the net.

Clearly Nick Clegg and other party leaders should have recognised that in the event of a coalition the tuition fee pledge could not be honoured and stopped it being a main feature of their campaign. Instead they took the easy way out and let it stand.

Sometimes honesty really is the best policy and telling supporters and voters something is not affordable can be in the interests of the party too. Labour and Conservatives might heed the lesson.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Tyson

The connection between Clarkson and Cameron go deeper than Cameron's solidarity with his mucker over punching his hapless underling. There was all the publicity surrounding the Brooks Coulson Clarkson Cameron 'Chipping Norton set' described so eloquently by Peter Oborne. What's more I doubt it's just women who aren't fans of macho petrol heads. What about the 'green' ex Lib Dems?

Alleged punching.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Amusing this morning to note some seasoned PB contributors simply don't understand the essential dynamics of a coalition that has lasted five years, namely :

Both parties gets some, but clearly not all, of their programme and have to compromise unless the policy is a red line deal breaker.

Once an agreement is reached all government business belongs to the Coalition and not just one party. Everything is political flim flam and posturing.

Sorry Jack but I think you're highlighting where the Lib Dems have gone wrong. You make it sound like they are equal partners. I simply can't believe they are equal when one party has 80%+ of the ministers. Do you really think the Tory backbenchers would stand for they thought it was 50-50? Of course not.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

BBCSunPolMidlands ‏@sunpoliticsmids 27m27 minutes ago
    Unconfirmed but the rumour is that @Afzal4Dudley has "flown to Dubai"

Wow, if true, sensational !!!!!!!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Roger said:

Tyson

Roger- I can never see the fascination with cars. I love it most when my car is knackered, grizzled, old and bumpy; when you can leave the doors open and really do not care.

I am about to go out for an Italian lunch on the hills of Florence- I think the price of the lunch will considerably exceed the value of the car transporting us. I could probably just about swop the bottle of wine for the car.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SO I was on the selection panel which picked Chris White for the 2005 election after the 2001 defeat in Warwick, I also did some campaigning for him in Hall Green in 2001, he is an effective local campaigner and will not be easy to beat, especially as former MP James Plaskitt is no longer the Labour candidate

Just keep him away from certain restaurants :-). I agree, though, that White is likely to win. The one unknown is whether the students will turn out to vote. There are a fair few in the constuency amd if they coalesce around Labour that may change things. Many of them weren't around or voted LD last time.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

notme said:

rcs1000 said:

notme said:

rcs1000 said:

@Paul_Mid_Beds:

They are not the PIE.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-20474120

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11229168/School-governor-told-to-resign-because-he-had-joined-Ukip.html
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

I had been thinking of doing a piece on whether Salmond will prove to be a Charles Parnell for the 21st century but decided it would get sidetracked to easily and in any case, the answer's obvious.
    He's having an affair, getting divorced & setting back the cause of independence by 20 years?
    That aspect of it was another reason why it didn't get written. In fact, the first line was going to be something like "no historical parallel is perfect ..."

Even so, if Politics Was Ireland for Gladstone, in no small way has it been - and will it be - Scotland for his successors today.
    Having a really annoying mind blank. What was Kitty's surname?
  • Options

I disagree. Clarkson is just a tedious saloon bar boor. Cameron is clearly highly intelligent. My guess is that as a consummate PR man Dave is very good at making friends with folk who in private he finds rather distasteful, but who he feels are useful to him in public. If you are a politician and you have the chance to play buddies with newspaper editors and widely read/watched journalists then you do so. Whether, ultimately, that is wise or not is another question entirely.

I didn't suggest Cameron lacked intelligence but then neither do I think Clarkson does. I just think beneath the image they each cultivate, they are similar characters.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    notme said:

I don't think that's really true. I move in circles who mostly say urghhh! to the idea of voting UKIP, but they don't feel about them as they generally do about the BNP - the difference is between thinking of them as having weird views and thinking that they're a bunch of thugs. I know people who think that the BNP should be denied a platform (not my view), but they've never suggested it for UKIP.

I also know a few Kippers, who don't seem to feel persecuted. On the doorstep, you sometimes meet a 2010 non-voter who says evasively that they "might be voting this time, but I'd rather not say for whom", and I put them down as probably UKIP, but it's unusual.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Are there any markets up yet on who will win each debate? I have Views.
  • Options

I didn't suggest Cameron lacked intelligence but then neither do I think Clarkson does. I just think beneath the image they each cultivate, they are similar characters.

Dave certainly cultivates an image. Clarkson doesn't. That's who he is: someone who Paul Staines and Harry Cole would drive a tank down Regents Street for.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803

The LDs were well prepared for the coalition negotiations and the coalition agreement has been favourable to Lib Dem policies, particularly considering their fewer MPs.

Where the Lib Dems went wrong was the tuition fee pledge. This was promoted by the left wing of the party and Clegg was reluctant to sign up to it, only doing so when a majority of his candidates had already done so. Vince Cable was supposed to veto any over costly spending promises but tuition fees seem to have slipped through the net.

Clearly Nick Clegg and other party leaders should have recognised that in the event of a coalition the tuition fee pledge could not be honoured and stopped it being a main feature of their campaign. Instead they took the easy way out and let it stand.

Sometimes honesty really is the best policy and telling supporters and voters something is not affordable can be in the interests of the party too. Labour and Conservatives might heed the lesson.
    The uni fees were affordable if the coalition had dropped the unpopular DFID pledge. It's a matter of choices.
  • Options

notme said:

I don't think that's really true. I move in circles who mostly say urghhh! to the idea of voting UKIP, but they don't feel about them as they generally do about the BNP - the difference is between thinking of them as having weird views and thinking that they're a bunch of thugs. I know people who think that the BNP should be denied a platform (not my view), but they've never suggested it for UKIP.

I also know a few Kippers, who don't seem to feel persecuted. On the doorstep, you sometimes meet a 2010 non-voter who says evasively that they "might be voting this time, but I'd rather not say for whom", and I put them down as probably UKIP, but it's unusual.

I volunteered for Labour and yet to be contacted.Something seems not connected.Can you pass it up the chain please?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Interesting that in today's YouGov poll the weightings turn a Tory lead of 2% into a Labour lead of 2%.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Plaskitt was probably the worst MP I've ever had.
  • Options

The LDs made the mistake of attacking Labour - which they had always done - standing shoulder to shoulder with the Tories. Whether you like that or not, it was something that centre left voters who had previously supported the LDs, or been sympathetic to them, noticed. And it will cost them in May. In the same way, Labour had always attacked the SNP in Scotland. But during the referendum they were seen to do it shoulder to shoulder with the Tories. And it will cost Labour hugely.

No, the Lib Dems did exactly what they had to do as a member of a coalition - defend the coalition's policies 'shoulder to shoulder' with their coalition partners.

If they had not done so, the coalition would not have been workable. The 'mistake' - if it was such - was entering the coalition in the first place. Which, given the Lib Dem's fondness for coalitions pre-2010, was an understandable move. But it is one that history may well judge more kindly than the 2015 electorate.

I can understand why a die-hard Labour supporter - even one who claimed he was not going to vote for the current Labour team before pathetically changing his mind - might want to think the Lib Dems bad for entering a coalition. At least with the 'wrong' people.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

HYUFD said:

Just keep him away from certain restaurants :-). I agree, though, that White is likely to win. The one unknown is whether the students will turn out to vote. There are a fair few in the constuency amd if they coalesce around Labour that may change things. Many of them weren't around or voted LD last time.

Virtually all the students who voted in 2010 are no longer students now whether they voted then or whoever they voted for .
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    tyson said:

Roger said:

Tyson

Roger- I can never see the fascination with cars. I love it most when my car is knackered, grizzled, old and bumpy; when you can leave the doors open and really do not care.

I am about to go out for an Italian lunch on the hills of Florence- I think the price of the lunch will considerably exceed the value of the car transporting us. I could probably just about swop the bottle of wine for the car.
    Will the lunch be vegetarian ?
  • Options

Cameron is just an empty suit actually.He is good at reciting jokes written by someone else but lacks the ability to think on his feet or make intelligent remarks.I expect it all to come out after 2015 just how much like George W Bush he really is.

• Options

JackW said:

Sorry Jack but I think you're highlighting where the Lib Dems have gone wrong. You make it sound like they are equal partners. I simply can't believe they are equal when one party has 80%+ of the ministers. Do you really think the Tory backbenchers would stand for they thought it was 50-50? Of course not.
    I never said or implied they were equal partners, clearly they are not. However either party has an effective veto on contentious policy despite the disparity in numbers in favour of the Tories.

The realpolitik of the Coalition is that it's a partnership based on an agreed programme just as it would be if Labour had 306 MP's in 2010 rather than the Conservatives.

• Options

No, the Lib Dems did exactly what they had to do as a member of a coalition - defend the coalition's policies 'shoulder to shoulder' with their coalition partners.

If they had not done so, the coalition would not have been workable. The 'mistake' - if it was such - was entering the coalition in the first place. Which, given the Lib Dem's fondness for coalitions pre-2010, was an understandable move. But it is one that history may well judge more kindly than the 2015 electorate.

I can understand why a die-hard Labour supporter - even one who claimed he was not going to vote for the current Labour team before pathetically changing his mind - might want to think the Lib Dems bad for entering a coalition. At least with the 'wrong' people.
    The SNP are showing exactly what to do, when holding the balance of power. Extract the most without taking any of the responsibilities.

Noticeably, the biggest defenders of the Lib Dems part in the coalition are Tories. Not surprising, since the Lib Dems were the greatest arse-lickers of the Tories.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,193

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

If you need another parallel, I'd recommend the assertion in '1066 and all that' to the effect that “Gladstone .. spent his declining years trying to guess the answer to the Irish Question; unfortunately, whenever he was getting warm, the Irish secretly changed the Question”.

More than a whiff of the same frustration can be seen in Londometropolitan commentators and Westminster politicians today ...

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @craigawoodhouse: EXCL: Ed's secret hedge fund donor's links to NHS privatisation firm. http://t.co/e1z3acn6nT
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    SMukesh said:

Cameron is just an empty suit actually.He is good at reciting jokes written by someone else but lacks the ability to think on his feet or make intelligent remarks.I expect it all to come out after 2015 just how much like George W Bush he really is.

Cobblers.

I don't have a lot of time for Cameron, but his "Cameron Direct" approach at the last election was very well received by the voters, and showed quite clearly that he was able to speak off the cuff and answer questions from all sorts of people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/7499163/Cameron-Direct-The-Tory-leader-takes-it-on-the-chin.html
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,193
    Charles said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Having a really annoying mind blank. What was Kitty's surname?
    O'Shea?
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

I agree that Cameron is similar to Bush although probably more intelligent. The spoilt privilege, the petulance, the snide bullying and the lack of curiousity.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tyson said:

Roger said:

Can you post what Cameron actually said?

My impression was that Cameron had simply said something like "Jeremy is a friend of mine, so I'm not going to condemn him without knowing what happened."

I actually find it admirable and refreshing that we have a PM who stands by his friends regardless of the political implications (not that they are high in this case IMHO).

What's that old saying (Yes Minister?) "A politician is a man who will lay down the lives of his friends for himself"
  • Options
    Looking at Election forecast I think they are overly bearish on Labour's chances in some seats - Thurrock for instance surely Labour have more than a 16% chance, same with Elmet and Rothwell at 12%, and Rossendale and Darwen must be over 19%.
  • Options

Clearly this portion of my original post was a bit too much for you to understand:

However, they have always believed in coalitions because they were the only way to get into power and it was perfectly reasonable for them to go into one with the Tories - especially as Labour had been roundly defeated

I am struggling to think how I could have been any clearer though.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    JackW said:

By "the essential dynamics of a coalition " you mean the job of a junior partner is to support the Tories. The Lib Dems did not realise until the boundary changes [ where suddenly their own survival was at stake ] vote, that they could veto Tory policies and the Tories could have done nothing about it !
  • Options
    Ben Page from Ipsos-Mori claims that if both Labour and Tories are tied on votes,it is possible for Labour to get a majority.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Virtually all the students who voted in 2010 are no longer students now whether they voted then or whoever they voted for .

So most of them have gone. If their equivalents this year coalesce around Labour it may make it harder for the Tories to hold the seat.

• Options
    MikeK said:

Six men have been arrested after they forced their way into a synagogue in north London.

Seems weird and unusual.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    SeanT said:

This tedious saloon bar boor you talk about, Jeremy Clarkson, is that the same Jeremy Clarkson who has 350 million worldwide TV viewers, earns the BBC roughly £150 million a year, and is probably the most popular and successful TV presenter in the history of British broadcasting?

That one?

Poor old Jeremy Clarkson. He might actually have achieved something if he wasn't, in the opinion of "Southam Observer", simply a tedious boor.
    SO doesn't really mind that he is a boor, he minds that he is a right-wing bore. Nothing lefties hate more than a successful Tory. If he ate quinoa and drove a Prius and presented some art show and voted Green, he could have punched all the people he wanted and we wouldn't have heard a peep.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This tedious saloon bar boor you talk about, Jeremy Clarkson, is that the same Jeremy Clarkson who has 350 million worldwide TV viewers, earns the BBC roughly £150 million a year, and is probably the most popular and successful TV presenter in the history of British broadcasting?

That one?

Poor old Jeremy Clarkson. He might actually have achieved something if he wasn't, in the opinion of "Southam Observer", simply a tedious boor.

There are many successful saloon bar boors. Richard Littlejohn is another one. You have a go every now and agin too, but don't quite carry it off as your heart is not in it.

• Options
    Indigo said:

SeanT said:

That one?

SO doesn't really mind that he is a boor, he minds that he is a right-wing bore. Nothing lefties hate more than a successful Tory. If he ate quinoa and drove a Prius and presented some art show and voted Green, he could have punched all the people he wanted and we wouldn't have heard a peep.

Spot on.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Clarkson's character or supposed politics is a bit of a red herring here. His attraction lies in his pleasure in saying things that are now forbidden. Comedians used to enjoy doing that, although the advent of more left wing ones has stifled that a bit.

Al Murray is another one who's made a living out of it - even though he may be a bit of a po-faced lefty at heart.

I'm always surprised when people judge others on their political views. I've met obnoxious people from all over the political spectrum and pleasant ones too.

But Top Gear is a comedy show and it works well. But it makes enemies because it's funny in the wrong way for some. Incidentally, the 'Big Bang Theory' tends to be politically incorrect and is wildly popular. If the PC brigade got to it it, the ratings would plummet.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

I agree that Cameron is similar to Bush although probably more intelligent. The spoilt privilege, the petulance, the snide bullying and the lack of curiousity.
    I disagree actually.Atleast George W debated and by all accounts did rather well in the 3 debates.
  • Options
    surbiton - as I've said the Lib Dems could have played their cards more strongly, in particular the strongest card they had which was the threat to pull out of the coalition. But that ignores a bigger point. The reality has dawned on me that although they fought three elections to the left of the Labour party, the Lib Dem leadership don't disagree very much with the children of Thatcher leading the Tories. The fact that the biggest defendrs of Clegg and Alexander in the media are soft Tories is rather apt.
  • Options
    notme said:

MikeK said:

Seems weird and unusual.

Not moslems then.

• Options

Clearly this portion of my original post was a bit too much for you to understand:

However, they have always believed in coalitions because they were the only way to get into power and it was perfectly reasonable for them to go into one with the Tories - especially as Labour had been roundly defeated

No, I understood it very well, thanks. Just because I have the temerity to disagree with you does not imply a lack of understanding. ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2015

"Clearly Nick Clegg and other party leaders should have recognised that in the event of a coalition the tuition fee pledge could not be honoured ..."

Why could it not have been honoured ? It would have cost only £1bn. Osborne is adrift over £60bn from his deficit reduction plan set out in 2010. The world has not caved in.

In fact, what is the big deal of having no deficit at all ? How many countries other than oil gushing ones actually run a surplus ?

The whole idea behind the deficit reduction plan is entirely different. It is to bring state spending as part of the GDP down - back to the 1930's levels.

Basically, small government. Exactly the opposite of Finland, Sweden, Denmark etc.
  • Options

SeanT said:

That one?

There are many successful saloon bar boors. Richard Littlejohn is another one. You have a go every now and agin too, but don't quite carry it off as your heart is not in it.

Yes, or Russell Brand.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

JackW said:

By "the essential dynamics of a coalition " you mean the job of a junior partner is to support the Tories. The Lib Dems did not realise until the boundary changes [ where suddenly their own survival was at stake ] vote, that they could veto Tory policies and the Tories could have done nothing about it !
    I get you don't like the LibDems in coalition with the Conservatives although I have this outrageous perception that had the situation arisen you might have been more impartial and forgiving had the yellow peril flashed its bloomers at the Labour party.

Call my cynical ....

CYNICAL. :smile:

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited March 2015
    Bit weird saying the Clarkson is JUST a tedious saloon bar boor.

If read you anything about how and why Top Gear has become so successful (and why Clarkson has become so rich off the back of it), he isn't just the presenter. The format was his idea, the regular features are his concepts, he writes the show, he is involved direction and editing. Hence why the BBC are in a bad spot, it isn't simply replacing a presenter say with HIGNFY, where all the gags and content are written by a team for the presenter.

That isn't excusing what he may or may not have done, just stating that it isn't just oh get another presenter and nobody will notice. If he has smacked the guy, he has to go.

And I don't for a moment believe is on screen "character" is what he is like in real life. You think that people would invest huge amount of money in somebody who acts that way around the clock.

Chris Evans is another good example. His on screen persona, especially back in the day, was being a loud mouthed oik*. While off screen, he made mega bucks out of convincing people to invest a lot of money with him to buy Virgin Radio (and got out at the right time) and also assembling a huge property portfolio.

* he was for a period of time away from the cameras. But underneath is super sharp.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

SeanT said:

That one?

Yes, or Russell Brand.

No, he's a student union bar boor.

• Options
    Indigo said:

SeanT said:

That one?

Yes, or Russell Brand.
    Stephen Fry and David Mitchell have to be in the running for boringly smuggest gits ever.

• Options
    Why do people assume that celebrities' public personas are in any way the same as their private ones?
  • Options
    SO I was Tory chairman at Warwick Uni in 2003 and stood in Brunswick in the council elections that year, I would imagine if students do bother to vote many will vote Green, there is a reasonable Green presence in W and L, and Labour may win most of the rest but not enough to make the difference, areas like Manor, Milverton, Warwick West and Bishops' Tachbrook are the key swing areas, they will probably stick with the Tories and Cameron, having gone Labour under Blair at the general election. What is the restaurant reference?
  • Options
    However, they have always believed in coalitions because they were the only way to get into power and it was perfectly reasonable for them to go into one with the Tories - especially as Labour had been roundly defeated. Were they to get to rework the way they agreed the deal, undoubtedly they would take a very different approach. But they were learning and they made errors. Who doesn't?

No, I understood it very well, thanks. Just because I have the temerity to disagree with you does not imply a lack of understanding. ;-)

So you disagree that it was perfectly reasonable for the LDs to go into coalition with the Tories. Aren't you kind of arguing against yourself then

• Options
    HYUFD said:

SO I was Tory chairman at Warwick Uni in 2003 and stood in Brunswick in the council elections that year, I would imagine if students do bother to vote many will vote Green, there is a reasonable Green presence in W and L, and Labour may win most of the rest but not enough to make the difference, areas like Manor, Milverton, Warwick West and Bishops' Tachbrook are the key swing areas, they will probably stick with the Tories and Cameron, having gone Labour under Blair at the general election. What is the restaurant reference?

You could be right about the Greens. Milverton will vote LD, I'd imagine - they always seem to win the council seats (that's where I live). As I say, I reckon it's a Tory hold.

This discussion has been closed.