Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday night rolling polling thread

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited March 2015
    A couple more targetted leaflets from LDs turned up - first was highlighting Green credentials and other touchy feeling stuff, addressed to my wife.

The other was more on promoting SMEs, and business climate in danger from majority Labour government, with a end note that the Tories are out of the race, advising me to vote LD. But can Williams be trusted not to back a minority Lab government....

Shameless stuff - but they do seem to be determined to hang on in Bristol W.

A Green newspaper turned up today, haven't yet read it - but haven't noticed anything from Tories, UKIP or Labour.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Ed Balls got one of the top firsts of all times in Economics from Oxford,George Osborne got a two one in History,politics is a long game and class will out. A very strange Opinium poll showing Tories ahead in Wales and Labour ahead in Scotland, also fieldwork at the same time as Populus which shows a very different result.I would say that this Opinium is the most blatant outlier we have seen this year-all wrong on so many different levels.

Would that be the Mr Balls who would not want to reverse even a single measure in Osbornes recent budget? The one who has a visible rift with Miliband over spending policy?

Or the one who was hand in glove with Brown and did not recognise the economic storm clouds gathering in the noughties?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    Jack

"At this rate you'll turn the other cheek to my ARSE and become a fully fledged admirer.

I'm an admirer of your tenacity Jack but I can't help feeling it's holed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

HYUFD said:

FU Indeed, it may well have been better to have Hammond as C of E, IDS at Defence, Webb at welfare and Fox at Health,, Estelle Morris found the portfolio a bit too much to handle in the end

I would have sent Osborne to party leader or whatever, let him play politics day in day out..that seems to be the sort of thing he likes doing.

As I said below it isn't black and white. What I would say about PE teacher -> education secretary, that is a huge leap. I think you have to respect her for saying actually it is too much of a stretch. Alan Johnson at shadow chancellor, the same. He is by all accounts a nice bloke, heart in the right place and there is certainly a place for him in politics, but not as chancellor / shadow chancellor.

That is quite different from being a bod at IFS, then professor at a top uni, then being asked to look at pensions.

The trolls saying Ed Balls is super bright, and Osborne is an idiot. I don't think anybody doubts Ed Balls is very bright, the issue is (like Osborne) everything is filtered through the prism of politics. Balls knows well he is talking balls with some of the policies and also hence why we get the briefing pointing podgy fingers at its Ed Miliband making me do this.
    If Ed Balls is that bright and is well aware that he is talking bollocks - then you have to wonder why he perseveres in politics? It must be quite soul destroying.

Although anyone who worked for Gordon Brown probably lost their soul many moons ago.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053

labour in from 30 to 26. good poll coming?

Well I've bought £5 at 30 and sold £2 at 26 so far tonight. No idea what the bods on the other side think.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Survation poll in 2 minutes.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    isam said:

On topic: a good start.

But not only would I want to see a similar position in other polls tonight; I'd want to see more positive news from Ashcroft's marginals polls over the coming weeks before I believe it.

not sure. it'd be better if ashcroft polled same places every week to iron out moe esp given his disastrous polling last year.

Labour out to 30 on betfair. Cons 5.6. have the markets gone crazy?
    Disastrous?
    Save time and space on here by looking at Audrey Annes old posts
    Seems like she got under your skin?

You don't seem too happy. Just saying?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

labour in from 30 to 26. good poll coming?

Well I've bought £5 at 30 and sold £2 at 26 so far tonight. No idea what the bods on the other side think.
    maybe one of the polls is better news for labour? Soon find out.
  • Options
    Labour won't be ahead by 6% methinks.
  • Options
    Survation

CON 30%+1
    LAB 34%+1
    LD 10%=
    UKIP 17%-2
    SNP 4%=
    GRE 3%+1
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    Our resident troll, as well has getting Balls degree wrong, has got the "feud" wrong too...

http://web.archive.org/web/20110403052914/http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2011/03/30/origins-of-the-cameron-balls-feud/

Must try harder I think.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Tick tock comments due imminently.

NEW Survation/MOS Post Budget Chg vs Feb 24: CON 30%+1 LAB 34%+1 LD 10%nc UKIP 17%-2 SNP 4%nc GRE 3%-1 AP 1%nc Tabs: http://t.co/Iar7zmM3sS

— Survation. (@Survation) March 21, 2015
  • Options
    46% haven't a clue what Agincourt was.

24% like their battle commanders pissed. Well, it worked for Churchill I suppose.....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,585
    These polls are starting to remind me of the England France game. One way and then the other.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Survation out plus the Agincourt question. See header
  • Options

Survation

CON 30%+1
    LAB 34%+1
    LD 10%=
    UKIP 17%-2
    SNP 4%=
    GRE 3%+1

Tories 1 - Labour 1

I have to say, I don't think the budget will make any difference one way or the other. By middle of next week, we will probably be back to neck and neck.
  • Options
    Eagles, Have you seen the SNP subsample ?

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    I'm guessing an average of all four post budget polls would be close to ..neck and neck
  • Options

24% like their battle commanders pissed. Well, it worked for Churchill I suppose.....

Education...education...education....
  • Options
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Smarmeron said:

@FrancisUrquhart

"He was given a demyship to Magdalen College, University of Oxford,[3] where he received a 2:1 bachelor's degree in Modern History.[6] He also attended Davidson College in North Carolina for a semester as a Dean Rusk Scholar.[10]"

Like this you mean?

I refer the [dis]honourable gentleman to my post below, where I made exactly this point.

I think I made it pretty clear for a long time that of the current mob in power, Hammond is the best qualified of the likely candidates and should have had the job from day one. A guy who has run several successful companies, consulted for the World Bank, etc.
    Hammond was too junior and too much of a beancounter to be CoE. IIRC, the original idea was for him to have been Ch. Secretary, which would have been the ideal post for him.
    I don't think it is by chance that some of the best policies by the Coalition has been pension reform, driven by Steve Webb, who has a background of working for IFS and as a professor in this field.
    At Minister of State level Steve Webb has been the outstanding Coalition minister. The liberalisation of the pension market and other reforms in the sector will be an important legacy of this government.

His reforms on public sector pensions may prove to be even more important and have arguably been the most important single thing that this government has done to address the structural deficit it inherited.
    Quite so.

It's particularly noticeable that IDS is, even within the context of ministerial loyalty, most fulsome in his praise of Webb. One gets the impression IDS would want to keep Webb in post even if the Conservatives had a majority.

He is one of the most quietly competent ministers in the government. He seems to have quite a large personal following too, judging by his electoral record. I hope he survives the coming LD cull.

Sadly he is not in the running to be leader. It would be a novelty to have a party leader chosen on the basis of competence!
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Well, they can't both be right, can they?
  • Options
    I'm top price on Labour majority right now - an amazing 26-1 :)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited March 2015
    Which one best resembles Wellington?
  • Options
    Even under Survation, the Tories are pulling away from UKIP.
  • Options

Survation out plus the Agincourt question. See header

Surely "don't know" is the only sensible answer to such a ridiculous question.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Cons haven't been above 31% with the Sunday Mirror/ Survation since last May.
  • Options

That's one way to put it ;)
  • Options
    SNP vs Greens will be an interesting battle to see who can get most votes.
  • Options
    Hang on a cotton picking moment. Survation have messed up. It is con +2 and Lab no change on their last poll.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,334
    FU Indeed, and to their credit both Morris and Alan Johnson admitted they were not really up to the roles they were given, though Johnson would have made a far better Labour leader than Ed Miliband and Estelle Morris did OK as a schools' minister
  • Options

Anyone running scared of televised debates is not going to make a suitable wartime leader. Hence why all he could achieve is 17% in the poll.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    isam said:

You know what the saddest thing is about these pathetic "My Dads bigger than your Dad" style squabbles over opinion polls/when the fieldwork was/why my side isn't doing well excuses? The spin, the trolling, the smart arsery etc...

It will never stop.. the result in May will not be accepted as defeat by anyone on here with good grace. Those who did well will be damned with faint praise, those that did badly will blame everyone but themselves, and most people will say they were right all along by pointing out the good bets they had/points they made, & forgetting all their bets that lost/the things they argued for that they were wrong about

Well it's all about the polling innit? That's what we are here to talk about. A little partisan frivolity is an inevitable spin-off from that process.

What is needed, actually, is for someone to address the fact that VI polling is fundamentally broken. From an epistemological point of view it is untestable because it asks a counterfactual (except if it's conducted on 6 May) so we never get to find out the answer, we can only calibrate against other polls which themselves can only be calibrated ... etc. Evidentially it's rubbish because it asks questions of two extraordinarily odd subsets of humanity: first those who have a landline and answer it to unrecognised callers and don't then claim to have left something on the stove when they hear the word "poll", and secondly those who are prepared to put in 40 minutes online answering questions as to which brand of catfood they would recommend to their friends, in order to earn 2.3p.

To solve problem 2. I would like to see a consortium of big shopping/banking/gambling etc websites, which demand a login, randomly putting a VI question into the login procedure. Problem 1 is insoluble and simply needs to be recognised as a limitation on polling.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036

Hang on a cotton picking moment. Survation have messed up. It is con +2 and Lab no change on their last poll.

Excellent, was beginning to doubt the poll for a second there ;)
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Survation questions:
    Which parties would you consider voting for? (Would/ Would not)
    Con 48/52
    Lab 54/47
    LD 34/66
    UKIP 33/67
    Grn 30/70
  • Options

It is for the Mirror....
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Hurrah for Survation, determined to be the Angus Reid of the 2015 GE. It couldn't even correctly report the change on last month's numbers! Where do they do their sampling, the Sedgefield Labour Club!!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It is for the Mirror....
    Thread header says Mail.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

You know what the saddest thing is about these pathetic "My Dads bigger than your Dad" style squabbles over opinion polls/when the fieldwork was/why my side isn't doing well excuses? The spin, the trolling, the smart arsery etc...

It will never stop.. the result in May will not be accepted as defeat by anyone on here with good grace. Those who did well will be damned with faint praise, those that did badly will blame everyone but themselves, and most people will say they were right all along by pointing out the good bets they had/points they made, & forgetting all their bets that lost/the things they argued for that they were wrong about

Well it's all about the polling innit? That's what we are here to talk about. A little partisan frivolity is an inevitable spin-off from that process.

What is needed, actually, is for someone to address the fact that VI polling is fundamentally broken. From an epistemological point of view it is untestable because it asks a counterfactual (except if it's conducted on 6 May) so we never get to find out the answer, we can only calibrate against other polls which themselves can only be calibrated ... etc. Evidentially it's rubbish because it asks questions of two extraordinarily odd subsets of humanity: first those who have a landline and answer it to unrecognised callers and don't then claim to have left something on the stove when they hear the word "poll", and secondly those who are prepared to put in 40 minutes online answering questions as to which brand of catfood they would recommend to their friends, in order to earn 2.3p.

To solve problem 2. I would like to see a consortium of big shopping/banking/gambling etc websites, which demand a login, randomly putting a VI question into the login procedure. Problem 1 is insoluble and simply needs to be recognised as a limitation on polling.
    Post of the evening so far "untestable because it asks a counterfactual (except if it's conducted on 6 May) so we never get to find out the answer, we can only calibrate against other polls which themselves can only be calibrated ... etc"
  • Options
    Yeah, but Dave would win the equivalent question on Waterloo.

I mean, we all know, how good an Eton Educated Tory Prime Minister is giving the French a lesson.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    Mr. SE, could equally argue that refusing battle on weak terrain is good sense.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

Bloody brilliant post. Should be cut and pasted at the top of every thread header 'twixt now and the election.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Eagles, Have you seen the SNP subsample ?

The whole Scottish Sub-sample is a hoot.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Survation questions:
    Which parties would you consider voting for? (Would/ Would not)
    Con 48/52
    Lab 54/47
    LD 34/66
    UKIP 33/67
    Grn 30/70

Half that Labour 54% muttered under their breath "...but not until they get rid of that Ed Miliband...."

Probably.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653

Last MoS poll was last year.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

Polls, Schmolls. Follow the ARSE!
  • Options

But I'm comparing to the last Survation poll which was for the Mirror last month.
  • Options

But I'm comparing to the last Survation poll which was for the Mirror last month.
    Different clients different agendas.
  • Options

True. True.

But as a Kipper I want to see Farage give Dave a grilling.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MP_SE said:

True. True.

He's done the sensible thing. you can get in a situation with a rabble rouser thats a no win. Doesn't mean he's wrong to avoid it. the opposite.

If you like farage that's up to you but you're in a minority.
  • Options
    Survation have not seen Con above 31 since last May. Never mind Thursday to Saturday.
  • Options
    Anybody seen the ComRes poll that they undertook in Thanet South that I had the dubious pleasure to be a part of?!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Confusing polls. As someone else said below, they can't both be right.

They could both be wrong though...
  • Options

Anybody seen the ComRes poll that they undertook in Thanet South that I had the dubious pleasure to be a part of?!

Nope, probably a private poll.

So we're never going to see it.
  • Options
    so just one more poll tonight? you gov for sun times?
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited March 2015
    Survation an outlier....non-gold standard......not what I am hearing in the Duck and Snail.....not what I am hearing on the doorstep........not being reflected in the betting markets....completely wrong(take your pick).

Rob, told you, that you wouldn't have to wait long for a poll showing different ;-)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653

After Opinium, Lab were 0.1% ahead in ELBOW this week so far, now with Survation they are 0.3% ahead...
  • Options

Survation an outlier....non-gold standard......not what I am hearing in the Duck and Snail.....not what I am hearing on the doorstep........not being reflected in the betting markets....completely wrong(take your pick).

Rob, told you, that you wouldn't have to wait long for a poll showing different ;-)

You got lucky ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

You got lucky ;)
    Don't worry there is another one following soon ;-)
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    There seems to be a real disconnect between the generally encouraging ratings for Cameron and Osborne on their record, and the bare voting intention figures.

But then if it wasn't for UKIP, I think the Tories would be on c40% and we'd be talking about a Dave majority. (Of course, if the Tories had been getting those numbers, then Ed would have been ditched in favour of someone else by now)

I suspect a large number of people in this country are very comfortable with a Cameron Government continuing, and may well assume that will happen - but the problem is a good proportion of those folk are telling the pollsters they'd vote UKIP.

I wonder how many of them will actually vote for the Purple Peril in May - and put EdM into No 10?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Talking of our French friends, Ed M. reminds me of the Dauphin, as played by Kenneth Williams.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    Survation. The stylish pollster

Labour ahead. Post budget chic
  • Options
    Swingback unbouncing with crossover dismissives?
  • Options

The victory at Agincourt was because of appalling French tactics, combined with a British choice of battlefield not suitable for cavalry.

Not sure that any of our leaders is as astute enough for that, but Dave seems best at not interrupting an enemy while he is making a mistake.

Farage would give a rousing speech while in his cups. Falstaff rather than Harry.

Ed would be good at dispatching the wounded with a knife in the back while ransoming the captured nobles back to their mansions.

Its horses for courses really!
  • Options

MP_SE said:

True. True.

He's done the sensible thing. you can get in a situation with a rabble rouser thats a no win. Doesn't mean he's wrong to avoid it. the opposite.

If you like farage that's up to you but you're in a minority.
    Nick Clegg thought the same but the polls after the debates said otherwise.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    On the interminable debates issue, I don't subscribe to the view that this is victory for Dave.

It's a humiliation for him. And I'm embarrassed to be a Conservative and Cameron supporter.

I cannot see why he is running away from a head to head with a someone he should be easily capable of demolishing in a one on one encounter, where he's not outnumbered by lefties.

He looks pathetic, to be frank. And no wonder EdM is going to beat him up about it all the way to May 7th. I don't blame him.
  • Options

We're definitely seeing a bit of reverse double un-crossover swingback, that's for sure:

http://goo.gl/9RfFdf
  • Options

If it is a good result for Labour we might. Labour odds on Thanet South have shortened over the last few days. Could be due to Mike's article generating interest or a closer than previously thought poll.
  • Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, indeed. The French were as foolish as Antiochus III at Magnesia, or Varro at Cannae. Buggering up the form book is something best left to rare genius (such as Quintus Fabius Maximus).
  • Options

Thats actually untrue. they could both be right within margin of error so tories around 33%ish and labour around the same, both giving the result for these two polls so far.

if you want to go by trend then the tories have most heart from them: up in both. but then they should be after the budget.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

If it is a good result for Labour we might. Labour odds on Thanet South have shortened over the last few days. Could be due to Mike's article generating interest or a closer than previously thought poll.
    Mike's article.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

But not only would I want to see a similar position in other polls tonight; I'd want to see more positive news from Ashcroft's marginals polls over the coming weeks before I believe it.

not sure. it'd be better if ashcroft polled same places every week to iron out moe esp given his disastrous polling last year.

Disastrous?

Perfectly happy

I think you are an absolute tool, but that's of little importance ;)

Just sayin'
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    One decent thing to come of the Muslim terrorist murders in Paris is that those on here that used to call French people 'frogs' have learned their lesson

Maybe an atrocity in Ireland will see the end of 'bog trotter'?
  • Options

Thats actually untrue. they could both be right within margin of error so tories around 33%ish and labour around the same, both giving the result for these two polls so far.

if you want to go by trend then the tories have most heart from them: up in both. but then they should be after the budget.
    I've been right, within a margin of error, in many an argument.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935
    RobD said:

We're definitely seeing a bit of reverse double un-crossover swingback, that's for sure:

Roller Coaster
  • Options

RobD said:

Roller Coaster
    The term is "PollerCoaster"
  • Options

RobD said:

Roller Coaster
    Pretty sure you haven't clicked the link.. I don't see an 'anonymous owl' reading it! ;)
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Disastrous?

Just sayin'
    Gee thanks. Charming. If you go around flaming people like that you're not likely to win many friends. From what I've seen this is a decent enough site and you seem a bit out of odds with comments like that.
  • Options

Equally within the margin of error with one poll wrong the Tories could be as high as 38% or as low as 28%.

So I am not sure they tell us much more than we knew already.
  • Options

Equally within the margin of error with one poll wrong the Tories could be as high as 38% or as low as 28%.

ELBOW is your friend.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Disastrous?

Just sayin'
    Gee thanks. Charming. If you go around flaming people like that you're not likely to win many friends. From what I've seen this is a decent enough site and you seem a bit out of odds with comments like that.
    Anytime

Don't worry yourself too much about it
  • Options

I've been right, within a margin of error, in many an argument.

yeah do you see the point though? Both polls could be right if 3 or 3.5% is the margin of error.
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, don't be such a censorious puritan. Besides, the frogs would be offended if we forsook our freedom of expression.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Disastrous?

Just sayin'
    I think isam has a vendetta against people with multiple accounts. He's been on a roll ever since outing a (quite obvious) previous offender.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that's noted - Miliband is in all FOUR TV events ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Am I the only one that's noted - Miliband is in all FOUR TV events ?

No
  • Options
    Rolling polling trolling, laughoutlouding.
  • Options
    isam said:

One decent thing to come of the Muslim terrorist murders in Paris is that those on here that used to call French people 'frogs' have learned their lesson

Maybe an atrocity in Ireland will see the end of 'bog trotter'?

Coming after the isam fridge contents scandal, I sense your inner LD breaking out of its chains!
  • Options

On the interminable debates issue, I don't subscribe to the view that this is victory for Dave.

It's a humiliation for him. And I'm embarrassed to be a Conservative and Cameron supporter.

I cannot see why he is running away from a head to head with a someone he should be easily capable of demolishing in a one on one encounter, where he's not outnumbered by lefties.

He looks pathetic, to be frank. And no wonder EdM is going to beat him up about it all the way to May 7th. I don't blame him.

It's not Ed he's bothered about, Bob. It's Farage.

He can easily out debate Miliband, but Farage has him over immigration, so his strategy from the outset been to minimise the potential damage from this source. He's been fairly successful so far. I'm not sure he will be able to emerge entirely unscathed. It rather depends how the 'debates' play out, but so far so good for him.
  • Options

What I don't get is that Cameron's personal advantage over Miliband is huge. The Tories need to make this election as Presidential as possible. What could be more presidential than a head to head?

It is possible that Ed might have a good day. It is also possible that Man Utd might win the league this season. It is just not very likely is it?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935

RobD said:

Roller Coaster
    The term is "PollerCoaster"
    I stand corrected

Poller Coaster

Did you tell the OBR that public expenditure in next 4 yrs is one of those poller coaster thingys
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What I don't get is that Cameron's personal advantage over Miliband is huge. The Tories need to make this election as Presidential as possible. What could be more presidential than a head to head?

It is possible that Ed might have a good day. It is also possible that Man Utd might win the league this season. It is just not very likely is it?
    As a Labour strategist put it to me, almost delighted in saying about the debates.

Think of Cameron as Liverpool last season.

Ed Miliband as Man City

And Farage as Chelsea.

Liverpool beat City, but came a cropper against Chelsea, which ultimately handed the title to City.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    I see that Priti Patel is out and about in Broxtowe on Thursday.
    Does Jack's ARSE still have it as TCTC?
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Disastrous?

Just sayin'
    I think isam has a vendetta against people with multiple accounts. He's been on a roll ever since outing a (quite obvious) previous offender.
    oh i see,. well no excuse for rudeness especially against relative newcomers and newbies. not unless this place is just a clique?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Even if Ed has a decent debate the "analysis" will 'reveal' a thumping victory for Dave in the next day's papers.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ELBOW is your friend.
    While there is some validity in meta-analysis it does require a bit more than a weighted average.

I favour the ARSE over the ELBOW!
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Disastrous?

Just sayin'
    oh i see,. well no excuse for rudeness especially against relative newcomers and newbies. not unless this place is just a clique?
    All the cool kids are PB Tories.. just so you know ;)
This discussion has been closed.