Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sturgeon’s game-plan? Replace LAB with CON by replacing C

124»

Comments

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,024

On the Lord Steel comments, how about this for a lukewarm endorsement of the party leader?

Asked about the possibility of a change of leadership in the party after the poll, Lord Steel said: "We mustn't start pushing Nick Clegg out the window until we've actually had the election."

That's not even a lukewarm endorsement. Effectively, he's saying you only have another seven weeks to wait for the defenestration.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    So you're Chris Evans or Danny Baker?!

Plato said:

Re Gazza - that sounds plausible as a big factor for him. I read his autobiog a decade ago [ghosted by Hunter Davies IIRC] and it's full of mistrust as terrible things kept being leaked to the press, he couldn't find out who'd done it and felt betrayed.

And what did I say...The BBC would cover Miliband hypocrisy in the same way it covers Mirror phone hacking.

Yesterday on the BBC was a classic compare and contrast...

NEWS INTERNATIONAL, SUN, HACKING, PAYMENTS TO PUBLIC OFFICIALS, JAILED MOD OFFICIAL...MAIN STORY MAIN STORY MAIN STORY...oh and by the way the Sun journos were not guilty. BUT TIME FOR INTERVIEWS WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN EMOTIONALLY SCARED BY THIS INFORMATION BEING PUBLISHED IN THE SUN

At the same time, Mirror trial been going on all week...you say what, the Mirror had teams of individuals who all they did was hack phones...nadda...a number of people had heart wrenching stories including Gazza (one of the most famous British footballers) claims the Mirror hacking his phone for 10 YEARS, yes 10 YEARS, wrecked his life, caused his problem with alcohol*, etc.

* my own take on if this claim is true is another matter, but just saying that is what has been stated in court.

TBH, I have met Gazza and I met him before it was claimed his phone was being hacked etc and he was a total disaster waiting to happen, with an army of hangers on that encouraged him to do stupid stuff.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

If Jacks Arse is correct Tory + Libdem would have a comfortable majority, so I wouldn't take too much notice of Steel, especially as most of the remaining Libdem seats will be in areas where Labour are a poor third or even fourth.

I suspect Laws might be a good bet for next leader if Clegg loses his seat, otherwise I suspect it is five more years of the Clegg and Cameron show.

Given appropriate numbers Davis Steel's contention of Supply & Confidence in contrast to a viable formal coalition is most odd to my mind.

It was his position during the lamentable Lib/Lab pact prior to the 79 election where the Liberals got a deal of the blame for very little gain. A formal coalition provides essential long term stability and the prospect of enacting some manifesto pledges and influencing policy across government.

I think Jack makes a very perceptive point. The Libs are not coming out of coalition too rosy, but they did not come out of the C and S arrangement of the Lib Lab pact very well either. Supporting a minority govt is not good for your health.

It didnt do the SNP much good either, precipitating the collapse by refusing confidence.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Grandiose said:

tyson said:

@OxfordSimon- Oxford is a harsh, lonely wilderness for those of right wingy persuasions. How do you cope with being the only Tory in Oxford?

And Nicola Blackwood's Oxford West representation is sheer deceit. She gets all her votes from West and zilch from Oxford.

There's very little of the City of Oxford actually in the seat, so it's not that surprising. But a continued assault by Labour on those areas in the City has not helped the Lib Dem's chances of regaining the seat. If the LDs are to do it they will be almost as reliant on Abingdon votes as she was.
    Oxford as a city suffers from its left wing greeny student ,'metropolitan elite', NHS worker associations. A bus and traffic nightmare, it offers little of note as a commercial or retail experience. Indeed its main retail experience last created by its planners in the 70s is currently being pulled down.
    The environs of Oxford remain resolutely blue but the city does all it can to discourage anyone from outside from coming in.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,938
    Pulpstar said:

Bloody Hell.

Martin Guptill

Derbyshire La La La
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052

tyson said:

@OxfordSimon- Oxford is a harsh, lonely wilderness for those of right wingy persuasions. How do you cope with being the only Tory in Oxford?

And Nicola Blackwood's Oxford West representation is sheer deceit. She gets all her votes from West and zilch from Oxford.

I am not the only non-Labour voter in Oxford. Thankfully. It would be good to have more of us so that we could challenge the inept local city council and their self-serving, small-minded councillors. But there we are.

Just by way of an example, my local Labour councillor recently condemned local residents for not cleaning up the mess left by vandals in my area. She didn't condemn those who go out spray-painting every wall and object they can find. She didn't condemn the police for failing to tackle the issue. She didn't condemn the council officials who fail to repair damage to public buildings. No, it is all down to the residents.

This is the same councillor who didn't help when I reported fly-posting by a local group - who were pasting up posters advertising an event hosted at the Town Hall. They had all the evidence they needed as to who was responsible - and failed to act. Because it was a cause they supported.

Oxford is a harsh place - because of the mismanagement of the Labour city council!
    Victor Meldrew is alive and well and living in Oxford.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    Plato said:

So you're Chris Evans or Danny Baker?!

Plato said:

Re Gazza - that sounds plausible as a big factor for him. I read his autobiog a decade ago [ghosted by Hunter Davies IIRC] and it's full of mistrust as terrible things kept being leaked to the press, he couldn't find out who'd done it and felt betrayed.

And what did I say...The BBC would cover Miliband hypocrisy in the same way it covers Mirror phone hacking.

Yesterday on the BBC was a classic compare and contrast...

NEWS INTERNATIONAL, SUN, HACKING, PAYMENTS TO PUBLIC OFFICIALS, JAILED MOD OFFICIAL...MAIN STORY MAIN STORY MAIN STORY...oh and by the way the Sun journos were not guilty. BUT TIME FOR INTERVIEWS WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN EMOTIONALLY SCARED BY THIS INFORMATION BEING PUBLISHED IN THE SUN

At the same time, Mirror trial been going on all week...you say what, the Mirror had teams of individuals who all they did was hack phones...nadda...a number of people had heart wrenching stories including Gazza (one of the most famous British footballers) claims the Mirror hacking his phone for 10 YEARS, yes 10 YEARS, wrecked his life, caused his problem with alcohol*, etc.

* my own take on if this claim is true is another matter, but just saying that is what has been stated in court.

TBH, I have met Gazza and I met him before it was claimed his phone was being hacked etc and he was a total disaster waiting to happen, with an army of hangers on that encouraged him to do stupid stuff.
    I have the misfortune to met those two as well at their height of their fame...and again Chris Evans was a total tool (and he admits it these days). The way Evans was going he could have lost everything, but underneath is one very very smart guy.

He has made more money out of the Virgin Radio deal and his various property investments than all the years in his day job many many times over.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited March 2015

PeterC said:

The SNP has achieved a paradigm shift in Scottish politics. The name of the game is no longer SLAB or anti-Tory but rather Unionist versus Nationalist. With the Unionist vote split between at least three parties and the Nationalists grouped around just one, means that the SNP will be dominant. Will the Unionists recognise this and act accordingly?

There's a misunderstanding in this oft-returned-to meme. The referendum turned 45% of its voters into (for want of a better word) Nationalists; the other 55% were and are not all committed Unionists. Three years ago I'd have estimated the 'Indy for better or worse' core as 20-25%, the 'Union for better or worse' core as 30-35%; now the former is above 40% but the latter still below. The remaining 15-25% of No voters are not dyed in the wool Unionists, nor will they choose a party just because it brands itself Unionist, in fact many would be put off.

If the three Unionist parties want to target the core Unionist vote at the expense of the rest, I'm sure the SNP would be ecstatic.
    "Indy for better or worse", horse feathers. 90% of the SNP's popularity is based on a North Sea oil fueled money bonanza for Scottish residents. Greed, pure and simple.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

BBC News website does not appear to be covering the story about Ed's Hedge Fund Manager mate and his donation. Just saying.

They still appear to have forgotten to post their story about that. Yet found space for some LD stories - with David Steel and the newly resigned peer having plenty of coverage.

But no, there is no agenda at the BBC.

None. Nothing to see here. Move along please. Thank you.

How do you think they should report the story?

They could start with this link from the Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/labour-open-to-the-charge-of-hypocrisy-after-failing-to-divulge-hedge-fund-managers-donation-10124387.html

Not normally regarded as the 'baby eaters' paper. :)

The website links directly to the Independent story. I have also heard it covered on the BBC radio news this morning.
    The story is not covered on the main UK or Politics page - the only reference is indirectly on the Papers section at the bottom of the News page. Clearly Radio 4 is a bastion of even-handedness not matched remotely by the web-site.
    Its a disgrace.

Why not write to your MP.

Who if they are Tory will be funded by the hedge funds.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tyson said:

@Jack W and OGH- REQUEST please

I don't know how long Jack's ARSE has been out for this time, but today is my first glimpse of it this side of the US election.

Judging by just how accurate Jack's ARSE has been, I know I have made alot of money on it over the years. And this is a betting site. And it explains to me a bit more just why the betfair most seats market is so skewed to the Tories.

Can Mike, or a site editor please incorporate Jack's ARSE in the polls when they come in on the leader rolling threads when polls come out.

Please- I think Jack's ARSE deserves to be seen.

Clearly your comment should be PB Post of the Year but for the fact you made an even more erudite comment earlier :
    tyson said:

JackW said:

MikeK said:

JackW's ARSE is as usual full of crap

Of course it is.

CRAP - Considered Results Anally Projected.

Ah ha- this is my first sighting of Jack's ARSE for years. I thought the crumpled, saggy, wrinkled, specimen was put out of public sight after it's spectacular successes at the US elections.

For those pouring scorn on Jack's ARSE, beware, it has regularly been the most accurate predictor of political events for years, US elections, mayoral elections, by elections. But like anything else in life, perhaps it has finally been put into work one election too far, or there again perhaps not. Perhaps Jack's ARSE is impregnable.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bloody Hell.

Martin Guptill

Arguably the greatest innings in the history of cricket.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    BJN At least they will admit it and not try to cover where the dosh comes from.. unlike a certain EdM
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I fear dear PBers I must now leave the field of play lest this thread becomes an ARSE love in.

Toddles until later ....
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    tyson said:

tyson said:

On topic- Nicola Sturgeon is for me the most formidable politician in the UK. Tenacious, incredibly clear and lucid and able to communicate seamlessly. I think Sturgeon will set the scene over the coming years with these kind of very able women taking the highest jobs in politics because quite simply they are better and, vitally, more credible than their male counterparts.

And what did you find in room 101? A hedge fund manager - with a check book?
    The problem with alot of political anoraks is that they cannot objectively dissect politics (me obviously included). The Tory, David Herdson is a wonderful exception- I don't think I have disagreed with any of his analysis over the years.

Most top-level political systems if left unassaulted by external shocks will settle down into two main opposing camps.
    I don't think this will hold here, because you've got a Scottish dimension and a UK dimension. If there was no UK dimension then the opposition to the SNP would coalesce or the SNP would schism until you had two main parties. But as it is there's enough differentiation at the UK end between Con, Lab and even Lib to sustain their independent brands, without one of them necessarily forming an overwhelmingly dominant opposition.

I think the upshot is that the SNP will clean up in UK FPTP general elections until such time as they screw up really badly.
    Scots can vote how they like. But there seems little point in voting for a party that can neither form part of a Westminster government nor opposition. The SNP have just lost an independence referendum, the economic terms have turned against independence - they are no nearer now working out a central bank a currency membership of the EU Euro or anything. Swapping Labour/LD MPs in Westminster for SNP ones makes a left of centre government less not more likely.
    Sure there's a point, you get an MP from a party you like. Not to mention that sometimes they'll hold the balance of power, which they'll leverage to get you better stuff.

The fact that a balance of power means leverage for a Scottish region at the expense of other regions means that they would not get the balance of power. A left wing SNP will mean less not more prospects of a left wing Westminster.
    I am trying to be objective here as I am a tory. I am happy to see labour destroyed in Scotland - they deserve it. Unless Labour commit to saying they will stand up for England they will be destroyed in England too. Or should be.
  • Options

BJN At least they will admit it and not try to cover where the dosh comes from.. unlike a certain EdM

Thought they published names only same as Labour.

Can you show me where they publish the details of Donors jobs?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054
    @JackW's ARSE looks as if it is based off a combination of swingback and leader ratings to me.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    tyson said:

tyson said:

I am not the only non-Labour voter in Oxford. Thankfully. It would be good to have more of us so that we could challenge the inept local city council and their self-serving, small-minded councillors. But there we are.

Just by way of an example, my local Labour councillor recently condemned local residents for not cleaning up the mess left by vandals in my area. She didn't condemn those who go out spray-painting every wall and object they can find. She didn't condemn the police for failing to tackle the issue. She didn't condemn the council officials who fail to repair damage to public buildings. No, it is all down to the residents.

This is the same councillor who didn't help when I reported fly-posting by a local group - who were pasting up posters advertising an event hosted at the Town Hall. They had all the evidence they needed as to who was responsible - and failed to act. Because it was a cause they supported.

Oxford is a harsh place - because of the mismanagement of the Labour city council!

It is no way being Victor Meldrew-esque to want to see a local councillor stand up for their own ward. A local councillor who will fight to help the people who elect her keep the area attractive and safe. A local councillor who will work with local people to achieve what they want - not just follow the line given to her by the council officers and her whips.

Condemning residents for not cleaning away graffiti is not the right attitude for any councillor of any party.

There is an epidemic of tagging going on round where I live. One house has been attacked several times over recent years. Late last year, they had the entire side of the property re-rendered and repainted. Within 2 weeks, it was covered in tags. They can't afford to get it repainted again and again and again.

Do the local authorities investigate? Do they act? No. The local councillor condemns the property owner for leaving it there.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Grandiose said:

tyson said:

There's very little of the City of Oxford actually in the seat, so it's not that surprising. But a continued assault by Labour on those areas in the City has not helped the Lib Dem's chances of regaining the seat. If the LDs are to do it they will be almost as reliant on Abingdon votes as she was.
    Oxford as a city suffers from its left wing greeny student ,'metropolitan elite', NHS worker associations. A bus and traffic nightmare, it offers little of note as a commercial or retail experience. Indeed its main retail experience last created by its planners in the 70s is currently being pulled down.
    The environs of Oxford remain resolutely blue but the city does all it can to discourage anyone from outside from coming in.

The student populations remain, like many parts of the country, uninterested in local or national politics. This has contributed to a LibDem > Labour, then Labour > Green slide over this parliament in the city centre areas. Until last year I was a student there but I have no love for the rest of the city, which struggles to maintain its own identity. In the end, Gown is still beating Town.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    The liberal elite's favourite snob Emily Thornberry will have dug her way to Australia by the time this spat with Guido ends.
  • Options

Grandiose said:

tyson said:

Come to central Oxford North, and Jericho and Summertown. A veritable utopia of loveliness. Fantastic pubs (Radiohead's birthplace), music, a jazz festival, arthouse cinemas, little theatres and galleries, restaurants, the Thames on your doorstep, the openness and beauty of Port Meadow, a drive up north to the Cotswolds, great schools, low crime. When you go into Newsagents to see a stack of Guardians and one Mail- and guess what the Mail remains unsold. No Tory posters in sight. Anywhere. Your heart lifts. For me the most perfect spot of Tory free England in the whole world. What could one ask for?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    BJN Ask EdM..he spouts where all the Tory money comes from every week at PMQ.s and his back benchers manage to slip in some questions in every debate down the week.. always accompanied by the slur of "Evil"
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409

tyson said:

tyson said:

It is no way being Victor Meldrew-esque to want to see a local councillor stand up for their own ward. A local councillor who will fight to help the people who elect her keep the area attractive and safe. A local councillor who will work with local people to achieve what they want - not just follow the line given to her by the council officers and her whips.

Condemning residents for not cleaning away graffiti is not the right attitude for any councillor of any party.

There is an epidemic of tagging going on round where I live. One house has been attacked several times over recent years. Late last year, they had the entire side of the property re-rendered and repainted. Within 2 weeks, it was covered in tags. They can't afford to get it repainted again and again and again.

Do the local authorities investigate? Do they act? No. The local councillor condemns the property owner for leaving it there.

Eventually people get fed up and revolt and a regime instigating a rather more brutal response to such criminality follows, as we have already seen in parts of the middle east where such vandals would no longer have a hand to hold the spray can.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited March 2015
    MP_SE said:

The liberal elite's favourite snob Emily Thornberry will have dug her way to Australia by the time this spat with Guido ends.

Looks like Staines has dirt on her.

I like the classic from Emily that because Staines wont give an address over twitter she wont know where to serve the writ....and this women was Shadow Attorney General!

Maybe she hasn't worked out that Staines, despite being a loud mouth self promoting annoying git, is very clued up in what he can and can't say and that might be something to do with being married to a big shot lawyer. Has anybody successfully taken him to court?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,439

PeterC said:

The SNP has achieved a paradigm shift in Scottish politics. The name of the game is no longer SLAB or anti-Tory but rather Unionist versus Nationalist. With the Unionist vote split between at least three parties and the Nationalists grouped around just one, means that the SNP will be dominant. Will the Unionists recognise this and act accordingly?

There's a misunderstanding in this oft-returned-to meme. The referendum turned 45% of its voters into (for want of a better word) Nationalists; the other 55% were and are not all committed Unionists. Three years ago I'd have estimated the 'Indy for better or worse' core as 20-25%, the 'Union for better or worse' core as 30-35%; now the former is above 40% but the latter still below. The remaining 15-25% of No voters are not dyed in the wool Unionists, nor will they choose a party just because it brands itself Unionist, in fact many would be put off.

If the three Unionist parties want to target the core Unionist vote at the expense of the rest, I'm sure the SNP would be ecstatic.

If Indy for better or worse is now above 40% does that mean that the SNP will start to tell the truth about an independent Scotland's fiscal position, EU membership and currency? I guess the acknowledgement of the massive shortfall in oil income compared to forecast is a possible start of that process. But, if it is, how long can the SNP sustain its position on full fiscal autonomy without conceding that this will lead to huge cuts in public services?

Is that the 153rd or 154th time you've taken that old nag out for a trot? I forget.

PB Loyalists, positively (sic) Pavlovian.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

BBC News website does not appear to be covering the story about Ed's Hedge Fund Manager mate and his donation. Just saying.

They still appear to have forgotten to post their story about that. Yet found space for some LD stories - with David Steel and the newly resigned peer having plenty of coverage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/labour-open-to-the-charge-of-hypocrisy-after-failing-to-divulge-hedge-fund-managers-donation-10124387.html

The website links directly to the Independent story. I have also heard it covered on the BBC radio news this morning.
    The story is not covered on the main UK or Politics page - the only reference is indirectly on the Papers section at the bottom of the News page. Clearly Radio 4 is a bastion of even-handedness not matched remotely by the web-site.
    Its a disgrace.

or write to Labour or UKIP who are being funded by hedge funds or write to the Lib Dems who are trying hard to get the hedge funds to fund them?
  • Options

Cameron hasn't made a career out of denigrating "Mayfair hedge fund millionaires" who make political donations. Miliband has and is thus once again exposed as a hypocrite and phoney.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

OxfordSimon- I'm sorry Simon with the Victor Meldrew jibe. That was very badly done of me. It is a good thing to see people sticking up for higher standards where they live- and I say that genuinely.

• Options
    7 hrs of 6 nations.

Mrs BJ has left the building
  • Options

Cameron hasn't made a career out of denigrating "Mayfair hedge fund millionaires" who make political donations. Miliband has and is thus once again exposed as a hypocrite and phoney.
    So they dont publish donors jobs then?
  • Options

PeterC said:

"Indy for better or worse", horse feathers. 90% of the SNP's popularity is based on a North Sea oil fueled money bonanza for Scottish residents. Greed, pure and simple.

But, but, but the oil is now worth nothing, in fact it's a burden; 99% of the media and millions of numpties on the internet tells us this is so.

Are you saying that if oil goes above $100 a barrell the SNP are in power in perpetuity and independence is a done deal?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995

PeterC said:

If Indy for better or worse is now above 40% does that mean that the SNP will start to tell the truth about an independent Scotland's fiscal position, EU membership and currency? I guess the acknowledgement of the massive shortfall in oil income compared to forecast is a possible start of that process. But, if it is, how long can the SNP sustain its position on full fiscal autonomy without conceding that this will lead to huge cuts in public services?

Is that the 153rd or 154th time you've taken that old nag out for a trot? I forget.

PB Loyalists, positively (sic) Pavlovian.

Just waiting for answers from IS fundamentalists such as yourself.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Not sure what point you are trying to make BJO - the story is when the leader of the Labour party attacks another party for being funded by “Mayfair hedge funds” while Ed himself is being funded by a Mayfair based hedge fund manager, that’s called hypocrisy.

To have knowingly received funding of £600K over the course of 3 years - and personally met the fund manager in question on at least one occasion – and then attempt to hide this fact from all concerned, that’s called dishonesty.

But you know this already - enjoy the Rugby.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Yeah, looks like he personally knows one of the people supposedly affected by whatever he is accusing her of.

I lol'd when Sky News found a constituent with a St Georges flag on her balcony. They interviewed her and she said she was a lifelong Labour supporter but will now vote UKIP.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

felix said:

felix said:

Its a disgrace.

or write to Labour or UKIP who are being funded by hedge funds or write to the Lib Dems who are trying hard to get the hedge funds to fund them?
    Which hedge funds specifically fund UKIP? I believe UKIP have struggled to woo hedge funds.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

I like the classic from Emily that because Staines wont give an address over twitter she wont know where to serve the writ....and this women was Shadow Attorney General!

Maybe she hasn't worked out that Staines, despite being a loud mouth self promoting annoying git, is very clued up in what he can and can't say and that might be something to do with being married to a big shot lawyer. Has anybody successfully taken him to court?
    He's based in Ireland isn't he ?

So good luck with that.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Grandiose said:

tyson said:

Come to central Oxford North, and Jericho and Summertown. A veritable utopia of loveliness. Fantastic pubs (Radiohead's birthplace), music, a jazz festival, arthouse cinemas, little theatres and galleries, restaurants, the Thames on your doorstep, the openness and beauty of Port Meadow, a drive up north to the Cotswolds, great schools, low crime. When you go into Newsagents to see a stack of Guardians and one Mail- and guess what the Mail remains unsold. No Tory posters in sight. Anywhere. Your heart lifts. For me the most perfect spot of Tory free England in the whole world. What could one ask for?
    Oxford North - one of the suburbs to have be included in the OED...

Jericho - where I happen to live - is a nightmare for parking, plagued by poor planning decisions, blighted by graffiti and litter. Impossible for most locals to afford to buy property.

Oh yes, a perfect utopia.

A few years ago, a council-owned set of flats for the elderly were sold off because it would be too expensive to bring them up to the required standards. This property has now been converted into luxury apartments. 1 bedroom flats (and not very big ones) from £400k - with a lovely penthouse option at £1.2million. And none of this with any parking rights at all.

Utter madness

Yes, there are some nice places to eat but all is not rosy underneath the veneer of Guardian-reading perfection.

Low crime? Sadly not. Indeed there was a nasty homophobic attack just the other night in Headington - a gang of three put someone in hospital.

Oxford is a lovely place - but it is no Utopia.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Pulpstar said:

Bloody Hell.

Martin Guptill

Lol. It's certainly a nice example of what is wrong with modern cricket. So unbalanced that such a rank ordinary player is now a world record holder.

There are county sides he wouldn't get in.
  • Options

PeterC said:

But, but, but the oil is now worth nothing, in fact it's a burden; 99% of the media and millions of numpties on the internet tells us this is so.

Are you saying that if oil goes above $100 a barrell the SNP are in power in perpetuity and independence is a done deal?
    It's you who made the false "for better or worse"claim. The Scottish people vote for their best interests like everyone else, that's why they rejected Yes.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

OxfordSimon- I'm sorry Simon with the Victor Meldrew jibe. That was very badly done of me. It is a good thing to see people sticking up for higher standards where they live- and I say that genuinely.

Apology accepted - thank you.

I do want to see Jericho improve as an area. It is a nice place to live - but standards have dropped, anti-social activity is increasing and no-one is standing up for the area. This is the problem with anyone with a large majority - they no longer feel the need to work for their support.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Not sure what point you are trying to make BJO - the story is when the leader of the Labour party attacks another party for being funded by “Mayfair hedge funds” while Ed himself is being funded by a Mayfair based hedge fund manager, that’s called hypocrisy.

To have knowingly received funding of £600K over the course of 3 years - and personally met the fund manager in question on at least one occasion – and then attempt to hide this fact from all concerned, that’s called dishonesty.

People were making out Lab were trying to hide the donors identity when in fact his name was available as with other parties.

Anyway back at 7pm first bet on Italy +26.5 for me
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,327

I do want to see Jericho improve as an area. It is a nice place to live - but standards have dropped, anti-social activity is increasing and no-one is standing up for the area. This is the problem with anyone with a large majority - they no longer feel the need to work for their support.

Perhaps you should move from Oxford to the real go-getting place - Cambridge? ;-)

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21639495-how-and-why-fortunes-englands-two-ancient-university-towns-diverged-trailing-its-wake
  • Options

PeterC said:

It's you who made the false "for better or worse"claim. The Scottish people vote for their best interests like everyone else, that's why they rejected Yes.
    So on your greed is good hypothesis, support for the SNP and independence has gone up despite the oil price halving? Perhaps you could break that one down for me.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

Bloody Hell.

Martin Guptill

Lol. It's certainly a nice example of what is wrong with modern cricket. So unbalanced that such a rank ordinary player is now a world record holder.

There are county sides he wouldn't get in.
    There's no way he'd get into the all-conquering England squad. That's for sure.
  • Options

Perhaps you should move from Oxford to the real go-getting place - Cambridge? ;-)

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21639495-how-and-why-fortunes-englands-two-ancient-university-towns-diverged-trailing-its-wake
    How dare you Sir? That soggy place in the Fens? Pah!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995

PeterC said:

Oil is an absolute necessity for Scotland, which is kind of the point.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,090

MP_SE said:

It's only worth bringing someone to court if you can get at their cash, so go for well-off British residents rather than bankrupts or drink-drivers.
  • Options

PeterC said:

So on your greed is good hypothesis, support for the SNP and independence has gone up despite the oil price halving? Perhaps you could break that one down for me.
    Because independence has been defeated, probably forever. So the SNP is now free of it's most unpopular policy, independence.
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Interesting discussion on Radio 4 this morning concerning Balls and Osborne's perceived animosity, it was suggested thst some of it could be due to intellectual envy.Balls apparently got the fourth highest first class honours from Oxford in Economics while George's two one was in history.However George's political cunning was praised.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited March 2015

felix said:

felix said:

Its a disgrace.

I take it you've already written to Ed calling him a hypocritical little ***t. :)
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

felix said:

felix said:

Its a disgrace.

Which hedge funds specifically fund UKIP? I believe UKIP have struggled to woo hedge funds.
    How about running a simple search if you are unaware of this?
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/02/nigel-farage-ukip-target-hedge-fund-city-finances-report

Also from 2014.
    "Christopher Mills, a co-founder of JO Hambro, a major hedge fund, gave £50,000 in his first donation to Ukip. "
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    The Tories making comments about hedge fund cash is a joke and as for Staines??!!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

People were making out Lab were trying to hide the donors identity when in fact his name was available as with other parties.
    Some people? - I think you will find it was the Independent: -

Labour 'open to the charge of hypocrisy' after failing to divulge hedge fund manager’s donation

"Labour has received a huge donation from a multimillion-pound hedge fund manager whose identity the party tried to keep secret, The Independent can reveal. Martin Taylor has given Labour nearly £600,000 since 2012, making him the party’s fourth-largest donor, and has had at least one meeting with the Labour leader, Ed Miliband."

• Options

PeterC said:

Because independence has been defeated, probably forever. So the SNP is now free of it's most unpopular policy, independence.
    David Clegg ‏@davieclegg Mar 19
    BREAKING: independence ahead in Survation / Daily Record poll. If #indyref2 held tomorrow: Yes 45% No 43% DK 11 Won't Say 1%
  • Options
    edited March 2015

MP_SE said:

felix said:

felix said:

Its a disgrace.

How about running a simple search if you are unaware of this?
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/02/nigel-farage-ukip-target-hedge-fund-city-finances-report

Also from 2014.
    "Christopher Mills, a co-founder of JO Hambro, a major hedge fund, gave £50,000 in his first donation to Ukip. "
    I was already aware of the JO Hambro donation...

I stand corrected they received a donation from Crispin Odey. So have two hedge fund backers. Up until quite recently he did not provide support in the form of donations and used to hold parties for UKIP to meet with potential backers.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
    isam said:

Survation. (@Survation)
    21/03/2015 09:44
    NEW #ge2015 poll out tonight for MOS. Earlier @DamianSurvation spoke to @toryboypierce @LBC on polls vs the budget: soundcloud.com/survation/dami…

Looks like Survation have gone back to Mail on Sunday rather than Mirror (January/February).
  • Options

PeterC said:

BREAKING: independence ahead in Survation / Daily Record poll. If #indyref2 held tomorrow: Yes 45% No 43% DK 11 Won't Say 1%
    As much as I'm backing the SNP I think alot of those DKs break disproportionately for "No"
  • Options

PeterC said:

A fantasy poll. In reality the sovereign will of the Scottish people was to remain in the Union. Hard cheese for ThUD.
  • Options

The Tories making comments about hedge fund cash is a joke and as for Staines??!!

hypocrite
    noun
    hypocrite; plural noun: hypocrites

a hypocritical person.
    "the story tells of respectable Ben who turns out to be a cheat and a hypocrite"

synonyms:
    sanctimonious person, pietist, whited sepulchre, plaster saint, humbug, pretender, deceiver, dissembler, impostor;

informalphoney, Holy Willie;
    informalcreeping Jesus;
    informalbluenose;
    rarePharisee, Tartuffe, Pecksniff, canter

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Plaster saint is one of my favourite expressions

hypocrite
    noun
    hypocrite; plural noun: hypocrites

a hypocritical person.
    "the story tells of respectable Ben who turns out to be a cheat and a hypocrite"

synonyms:
    sanctimonious person, pietist, whited sepulchre, plaster saint, humbug, pretender, deceiver, dissembler, impostor;

informalphoney, Holy Willie;
    informalcreeping Jesus;
    informalbluenose;
    rarePharisee, Tartuffe, Pecksniff, canter

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

As much as I'm backing the SNP I think alot of those DKs break disproportionately for "No"

Mebbes aye, mebbes no, though a not dissimilar poll from Yougov made Westminster crap its pants. In any case much as the Unionists want to re-fight it, another referendum is off the menu for a while, but it refutes the 'it's all about the oil' point so beloved by them.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2015
    Oooh nasty hedge funds

A couple of my mates work for one, I will never speak to the filthy swines again

No better than Saville or Glitter
  • Options
    isam said:

Oooh nasty hedge funds

A couple of my mates work for one, I will never speak to the filthy swines again

No better than Saville or Glitter

I have clients who are too - some are so scared of their reputation risk they won't even do salary sacrifice/exchange on pensions....

Ed M is exposed as a shoddy hypocrite that is all.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    I will be joining Labour campaigners in one of the London seats which Tories now hold.I will report back as to how responsive the electorate are.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266
    chestnut said:

malcolmg said:

The only way the Tories will ever revive in Scotland is when it is independent. They do not have the balls to become a Scottish party inside the union and so will continue to stagnate, wither away whilst competing with Lib Dems , radical socialists etc for the crumbs of list seats.

If Scotland ever becomes a high migration destination that may change, Malcolm - just as parts of England have been dramatically altered by people coming in from outside.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/2i4cik3x8y/Times_Scotland_150312_Website.pdf

SNP Support

Scots: 51%
    Non UK born: 36%
    Other bits of UK: 30%

interesting
  • Options

malcolmg said:

SMukesh: "How is this thread relevant to the 2015 election?"

malcolmg: "how is your post relevant to this thread SMUK, add value or take a hike"

The thread is relevant to the 2015 election by virtue of the final sentence. The Scottish seats make up about a third of the battleground seats in the country for the election (i.e. those which may change hands), and the local dynamics there are therefore of interest.

Malcolm - all viewpoints are relevant. Do not try to hound posters away. It's not as if Scots nationalists have always posted on topic.

David, get a life and a sense of humour. Why are so many people on here so fragile at receiving comments but arses when doling it out. I have already explained to SMUKesh it was meant to be banter / humour. I expect he is a big boy and does not need you championing him.
    Go look at some of the real nasty insulting arseholes on here and ask them to shape up.
    Go take a hike yourself turnip head. ha ha ha - you see my sense of humour?
    Difference is you ain't kidding, but I would laugh for sure and reply in kind. i am not a thin skinned jessie, I can take the rough and tumble of humour.
  • Options

PeterC said:

LOL, Monica is not too bright
  • Options

PeterC said:

Monica does not know when to stop digging either
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    SMukesh said:

I will be joining Labour campaigners in one of the London seats which Tories now hold.I will report back as to how responsive the electorate are.

Why? Some dork, will just moan about anecdotes. Can you think who that may be?
This discussion has been closed.