Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fewer voters have made up their mind on how to vote than in

124»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Farage: I'll resign if I don't win Thanet South

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAK6R9mWMAEGEEe.jpg

Not very wise to say that in advance. It will further encourage tactical voting against him/UKIP

If Farage loses then we are likely to have only two kipper MPs to be candidates. My money is on Reckless. Carswell is too far from the kipper mainstream.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Pulpstar said:

Who is the correct tactical vote for in Thanet South though - obviously we all know it's for the Conservatives but Labour will be fighting hard here as they're in with enough of a chance to make a decent effort.

Tories. Labour are lagging in all of the opinion polls conducted.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    rcs1000 said:

BTW: does anybody like the way the SPIN live odds box now shows different parties seats?

I've taught myself some new Javascript today :-) (And improved my Python somewhat)

So we can put a man on the moon, but we can't give a tiny graphics file an .ico extension and save it at root level on a web server :-)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Not very wise to say that in advance. It will further encourage tactical voting against him/UKIP

If Farage loses then we are likely to have only two kipper MPs to be candidates. My money is on Reckless. Carswell is too far from the kipper mainstream.
    You trying to upset TSE?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Mark Reckless has improved alot as a media performer, the 33-1 as recommended here by @Pong was a great value bet too.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Farage backs five-year state school ban on UK immigrants

Ukip leader explains his view that immigrants and their dependents would need private education for five years after entering country

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/15/farage-backs-five-year-state-school-ban-uk-immigrants

Wouldn't that reduce the chances of integration, rather than increase it?
    I don't think so. I would have thought immigrant's children who attend private school are more likely to integrate than those who go to state comp, by virtue of getting better jobs, having more money etc

Seems to me most problems with immigration stem from friction caused by economic strife rather than actual differences between immigrants and people already in the host country, that's why poorer people tend to be angry about immigration, although people unaffected by it like to think its because poor people are thicker than them
    You're assuming that migrants would be joining good quality established style of private schools. Private schools currently have to be good because they've realistically got to be better than state comps or why would people choose to pay fees when they could just go to a comp for free?

However instead if poor migrants were blocked from state comps they'd be forced into newly established alternatives that have no state comp alternative they need to beat. They'd almost certainly be far more religious too than current state ones.
    They would be unlikely to be poor migrants if they had passed the test to qualify for a visa I think that is the point
    There's a huge difference between passing the test and being wealthy. My Scottish father in law lives in Canada as an industrial electrician, his skills are greatly required over there and he now has Canadian citizenship after living there for years but went over as skilled and in-demand. He didn't necessarily go over there as wealthy though and my sister in law went through Canadian state schooling not private.

Now in a reverse situation why should the child of a skilled and in-demand Canadian worker who comes over through a test based situation be locked out from state schooling?
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Who is the correct tactical vote for in Thanet South though - obviously we all know it's for the Conservatives but Labour will be fighting hard here as they're in with enough of a chance to make a decent effort.

What outcome in the General election do you want?
  • Options
    n an interview just weeks ago with radio station LBC, Shapps said: “I have never had a second job whilst being an MP. End of story.”
    Why say that when he knew it to be untrue?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

RobD said:

So you're supposed to leave your kids behind when emigrating to the UK. Doesn't sound like an attractive proposition....
    Presumably Farage also supports the reverse situation, where Brits who emigrate cannot take their kids and place them in local schools?
    In several countries I worked in I had to pay for private eductaion for my children so that they did not burden the state. My employer also paid up to £15,000 a year for a work permit.
    In the EU you would be paying the local country's taxes and thus contributing to the costs of your childrens education. Its the same here.

I note that EU regulations state that if you are in receipt of a State Pension from one EEA member state but resident in another, your healthcare should be covered by the state that pays your pension.
    Not sure that's true. I did a bit of research on moving to Belgium when I retire and the situation appears to be that to be covered by the Belgian insurance-based healthcare system you have to be employed (you pay and so does your employer) or claiming social security (which then pays). It doesn't matter which country pays the social security though so British pensioner in receipt of State pension would get their healthcare covered, but not if they only received a company or private pension.

https://www.gov.uk/living-in-portugal
    This I presume ought to be typical.
    ''if you are in receipt of a State Pension from one EEA member state but resident in another, your healthcare should be covered by the state that pays your pension.''
    So yes as I said a state pension.
    If you took early retirement with a private pension you are still able to work and not in receipt of an English state pension. In the UK then as long as you are below pension age you should be paying NI you should be paying tax if your private pension is big enough.
    But the EU rule about movement of labour is just that - movement of workers who pay taxes and NI and where the employers pay NI. So they are contributing.
    Of course mostly - I'm guessing - when it comes to pensioners its the other way around, we as pensioners tend to move abroad and the UK state will pay health costs. If EU pensioners do and/or were to settle here then say the Belgian govt should pay their costs. Its old people going abroad not the ones coming here to that are the 'drain' on the NHS.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Ukip leader explains his view that immigrants and their dependents would need private education for five years after entering country

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/15/farage-backs-five-year-state-school-ban-uk-immigrants

I don't think so. I would have thought immigrant's children who attend private school are more likely to integrate than those who go to state comp, by virtue of getting better jobs, having more money etc

Seems to me most problems with immigration stem from friction caused by economic strife rather than actual differences between immigrants and people already in the host country, that's why poorer people tend to be angry about immigration, although people unaffected by it like to think its because poor people are thicker than them
    You're assuming that migrants would be joining good quality established style of private schools. Private schools currently have to be good because they've realistically got to be better than state comps or why would people choose to pay fees when they could just go to a comp for free?

However instead if poor migrants were blocked from state comps they'd be forced into newly established alternatives that have no state comp alternative they need to beat. They'd almost certainly be far more religious too than current state ones.
    They would be unlikely to be poor migrants if they had passed the test to qualify for a visa I think that is the point
    There's a huge difference between passing the test and being wealthy. My Scottish father in law lives in Canada as an industrial electrician, his skills are greatly required over there and he now has Canadian citizenship after living there for years but went over as skilled and in-demand. He didn't necessarily go over there as wealthy though and my sister in law went through Canadian state schooling not private.

Now in a reverse situation why should the child of a skilled and in-demand Canadian worker who comes over through a test based situation be locked out from state schooling?
    For the simple reason those would be the rules set in place by the democratically elected Government of the United Kingdom and if immigrants didn't like it they don't have to come here.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mark Reckless has improved alot as a media performer, the 33-1 as recommended here by @Pong was a great value bet too.
    Vote pigdog get pigdog
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Pulpstar said:

Vote pigdog get pigdog
    Rolls off the tongue.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Pulpstar said:

Me ?

Conservative most seats, Labour most votes, Ed Miliband PM Labour Minority, UKIP to gain about 8 of my carefully chosen seats and Ed out before the end of the year. Nats to do very well in Scotland.

That's what I want :P

Conservatives just short whilst holding North Warwickshire works OK too. Again need Nats to do well in Scotland - that's the constant ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think Steven Woolfe is a strong contender. He is quite visible in the media and sends out regular updates to UKIP members, something which other MEPs seldom do. Steven has also expressed an interest in running for future leader. Diane James is also a strong candidate for the job.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

It's not the first time he's said it and he's only stating the obvious fact his position would be untenable if he lost. Tories and Labour polling almost even in Thanet south so no obvious candidate for tactical voters to support. I expect him to win comfortably.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Me ?

Conservative most seats, Labour most votes, Ed Miliband PM Labour Minority, UKIP to gain about 8 of my carefully chosen seats and Ed out before the end of the year. Nats to do very well in Scotland.

I meant in terms of the Thanet South question. Tactical voting is relative to the result you want to achieve. If you are a Labour voter hoping for a Labour Government are you going to vote in a Tory to stop UKIP. If you are a Tory hoping for a Tory Government are you going to vote in Labour to stop UKIP?

This idea that there will be industrial scale tactical voting in Thanet South is just plain daft. They way its going FUKP will probably split the Tory and Labour tactical votes and leave Farage with a 10,000 majority!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

You're assuming that migrants would be joining good quality established style of private schools. Private schools currently have to be good because they've realistically got to be better than state comps or why would people choose

For the simple reason those would be the rules set in place by the democratically elected Government of the United Kingdom and if immigrants didn't like it they don't have to come here.
    The principle (that one doesn't get free access to an expensive public service like education immediately on arrival here) is fine. But, the points that posters have made about integration are well made. Hence, Robert Smithson's suggestion is an excellent one.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    dodrade said:

It's not the first time he's said it and he's only stating the obvious fact his position would be untenable if he lost. Tories and Labour polling almost even in Thanet south so no obvious candidate for tactical voters to support. I expect him to win comfortably.
    Yep, as I said we all know that it is most likely to be 1. UKIP, 2. Con but Labour will have the barchart showing them winning (Yes they were top in one poll) on their leaflets.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Revealed: Disgraced MP Eric Joyce used taxpayer-funded credit card on £450-a-night hotels during £13,000 expenses binge

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2995596/Taxpayers-footed-MPs-hotel-bills.html
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

Tories. Labour are lagging in all of the opinion polls conducted.

Would Labour supporters ever vote tactically for a Conservative, particularly a right wing Conservative.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Me ?

I meant in terms of the Thanet South question. Tactical voting is relative to the result you want to achieve. If you are a Labour voting hoping for a Labour Government are you going to vote in a Tory to stop UKIP. If you are a Tory hoping for a Tory Government are you going to vote for Labour to stop UKIP?

This idea that there will be industrial scale tactical voting in Thanet South is just plain daft. They way its going FUKP will probably split the Tory and Labour tactical votes and leave Farage with a 10,000 majority!
    The correct tactical vote in Thanet South is quite complex, even for us on here. For the average Thanet South voter it's beyond their comprehension. I think we're in agreement here.
  • Options

RobD said:

So you're supposed to leave your kids behind when emigrating to the UK. Doesn't sound like an attractive proposition....
    Presumably Farage also supports the reverse situation, where Brits who emigrate cannot take their kids and place them in local schools?
    In several countries I worked in I had to pay for private eductaion for my children so that they did not burden the state. My employer also paid up to £15,000 a year for a work permit.
    In

I note that EU regulations state that if you are in receipt of a State Pension from one EEA member state but resident in another, your healthcare should be covered by the state that pays your pension.
    Not sure that's true. I did a bit of research on moving to Belgium when I retire and the situation appears to be that to be covered by the Belgian insurance-based healthcare system you have to be employed (you pay and so does your employer) or claiming social security (which then pays). It doesn't matter which country pays the social security though so British pensioner in receipt of State pension would get their healthcare covered, but not if they only received a company or private pension.

''if you are in receipt of a State Pension from one EEA member state but resident in another, your healthcare should be covered by the state that pays your pension.''
    If you took early retirement with a private pension you are still able to work and not in receipt of an English state pension. In the UK then as long as you are below pension age you should be paying NI you should be paying tax if your private pension is big enough.
    But the EU rule about movement of labour is just that - movement of workers who pay taxes and NI and where the employers pay NI. So they are contributing.
    Of course mostly - I'm guessing - when it comes to pensioners its the other way around, we as pensioners tend to move abroad and the UK state will pay health costs. If EU pensioners do and/or were to settle here then say the Belgian govt should pay their costs. Its old people going abroad not the ones coming here to that are the 'drain' on the NHS.
    My understanding is that to the patient it appears to be treatment without charge (in Belgium for this case) but the bill does come back to the UK centrally.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Massive blunder by Farage - amateur hour.
  • Options
    The tactical voting conumdrum can be extended to all three Scottish border seats too.

Clear as mud in DCT, D&G and BR&Selkirk.
  • Options

n an interview just weeks ago with radio station LBC, Shapps said: “I have never had a second job whilst being an MP. End of story.”
    Why say that when he knew it to be untrue?

Someone is confused somewhere - is it you? The Guardian clearly says he listed ... ''his directorships and shareholdings in a printing firm and How To Corp'' in the MPs register of interests.
    The Guardian seem to be making great play of an event in 2004, whereas Shapps became an MP in 2005.

I guess its tough if you are someone who has come from and been earning a living in the real world and have to drop it all to be an MP.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Me ?

I meant in terms of the Thanet South question. Tactical voting is relative to the result you want to achieve. If you are a Labour voting hoping for a Labour Government are you going to vote in a Tory to stop UKIP. If you are a Tory hoping for a Tory Government are you going to vote for Labour to stop UKIP?

The correct tactical vote in Thanet South is quite complex, even for us on here. For the average Thanet South voter it's beyond their comprehension. I think we're in agreement here.
    For every Labour voter that wants to stop UKIP, there'll be another who wants to thump the Tories.

Lib Dem voters might be more willing to vote tactically, but they're already under 5% in this seat.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

You're assuming that migrants would be joining good quality established style of private schools. Private schools currently have to be good because they've realistically got to be better than state comps or why would people choose

The principle (that one doesn't get free access to an expensive public service like education immediately on arrival here) is fine. But, the points that posters have made about integration are well made. Hence, Robert Smithson's suggestion is an excellent one.
    Well given the abject failure that the current state school system has made of integration (we are the premier producers of terrorists in Europe I believe) I think you and Mr Smithson are being exceedingly optimistic.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The tactical voting conumdrum can be extended to all three Scottish border seats too.

Tories seem to be the least inclined to vote tactically. Scottish Tories in particular are not easily persuaded to vote for anyone else. That may put the advantage to the blue team. All take and little give.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Me ?

For every Labour voter that wants to stop UKIP, there'll be another who wants to thump the Tories.

Lib Dem voters might be more willing to vote tactically, but they're already under 5% in this seat.
    I suspect most of them will end up voting Labour, or staying at home.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Because the family has never paid into the system
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

RobD said:

In

My understanding is that to the patient it appears to be treatment without charge (in Belgium for this case) but the bill does come back to the UK centrally.
    So we're both right, it seems.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Tories seem to be the least inclined to vote tactically. Scottish Tories in particular are not easily persuaded to vote for anyone else. That may put the advantage to the blue team. All take and little give.
    There's a value in not voting tactically at times, Conservatives could get a clean sweep of the borders. Or they may get none. But the Conservatives are in the hunt in all three at any rate.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Is it good-bye Michael Green?

Is it a sackable offence to lie on radio these days? It's hard to keep up.
  • Options
    Labs in marginals won't vote Tory, and Tories in marginals won't vote Labour to stop Ukip

Stale theory, destroyed in Clacton and Rochester... Would've thought the money lost would have sharpened minds
  • Options
    isam said:

Labs in marginals won't vote Tory, and Tories in marginals won't vote Labour to stop Ukip

Stale theory, destroyed in Clacton and Rochester... Would've thought the money lost would have sharpened minds

It may be different at the GE.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

There's a value in not voting tactically at times, Conservatives could get a clean sweep of the borders. Or they may get none. But the Conservatives are in the hunt in all three at any rate.
    Of the Unionist parties, they had the best indyref. Their activists have not won much in recent years so to win the big one must have been very sweet.

If keeping the Nats out is the priority then the blues will be the most motivated, and the borders had a particularly high No vote.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2015
    Roger said:

Is it good-bye Michael Green?

Is it a sackable offence to lie on radio these days? It's hard to keep up.

Balls gets away with all manner of half and mistruths.

Has Green been disingenuous about his kitchen?
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Why? Why would someone wanting Cameron as PM vote for Miliband or vice versa? I'd have thought it would be less likely at a GE
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Grant Shapps is easily the most slimy man in politics. I imagine his book "Stinking Rich 3" is a real good read.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Well he would not would he (to the detriment of our economy) and its a joke policy by Farage which has got his row of sea lions applauding and blowing their horns.
    Indeed Farage says 'not in manifesto but...' -- in other words another (another!!) dog whistle.

Canada has a considerable amount of inward immigration despite it being based on visas as far as I know. Its not stopped numbers. 20% of population is from overseas. And as you suggest it inevitably leads to permanent residence. After the UK and not much behind, the biggest groups of immigrants are Chinese Indian and Philippines.
  • Options
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Why? Why would someone wanting Cameron as PM vote for Miliband or vice versa? I'd have thought it would be less likely at a GE
    I think there is not a lot of tactical voting shift at any particular election, 1997 maybe excepted. It has taken the LDs years to run down the Labour vote in places like Eastleigh or Colchester.

I would be surprised if it suddenly sprang up in this election. Indeed there may well be a degree of unwinding.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2015
    Watcher

"Balls gets away with all manner of half and mistruths."

There always used to be politicians lies-being misleading obfuscating etc-and then human lies where you actually tell an untruth unrelated to politics like 'i didn't stick my ****** down that girls throat' for which the powers that be always took a dim view (though not in that instance).

Michael Green according to the Guardian story has told a whopper and even threatened to sue if anyone repeated it!
  • Options
    edited March 2015

isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

I think there is not a lot of tactical voting shift at any particular election, 1997 maybe excepted. It has taken the LDs years to run down the Labour vote in places like Eastleigh or Colchester.

I would be surprised if it suddenly sprang up in this election. Indeed there may well be a degree of unwinding.

The only way I can see it is if labour or Tory parties themselves do a deal for one side to go easy in selected seats while the other stands an anti Ukip style candidate

Voters aren't going to be able to fix it against Ukip in a three way marginal, the tactical votes would prob cancel each other out

Both of them!

Political geeks overthinking things, ignore
  • Options
    edited March 2015

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Well he would not would he (to the detriment of our economy) and its a joke policy by Farage which has got his row of sea lions applauding and blowing their horns.
    Indeed Farage says 'not in manifesto but...' -- in other words another (another!!) dog whistle.

Canada has a considerable amount of inward immigration despite it being based on visas as far as I know. Its not stopped numbers. 20% of population is from overseas. And as you suggest it inevitably leads to permanent residence. After the UK and not much behind, the biggest groups of immigrants are Chinese Indian and Philippines.
    If we had Canada's immigration and our own emigration the UK population would have fallen by almost 1 million people between 2000 and 2013 as a result and not risen by over 3 million.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2013/permanent/01.asp
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    MP_SE said:

Grant Shapps is easily the most slimy man in politics. I imagine his book "Stinking Rich 3" is a real good read.

Easily? Are you sure, considering the competition? And that's assuming you meant to say "in politics today".
    If what's said is true then he'd be eyeing a top 10 finish but let's not get carried away here.
  • Options
    And talking of Canadian Immigration :

Why? In particular, why has Canada’s average 250,000 per year immigration intake remained in place for over 23 years?

The answer is that for many decades, Canada’s major political parties have assumed that, on the immigration issue in particular, they know better than average Canadians. This attitude and the promotion of political party self-interest manifested itself particularly in 1990 when one political party (the Progressive Conservatives) increased immigration levels to 250,000 per year........

http://www.immigrationwatchcanada.org/

Sound familiar?

Wasn't it the progressive conservatives who were almost totally obliterated in the Canadian general elections in the 1990's?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited March 2015
    MP_SE said:

Is this what usually occurs when Brits work abroad? Those I know who were brought up in other countries had private educations.
    No, at least in developed countries immigrants are usually free to to send their kids to the local schools, under the same conditions as non-immigrants.

Rich people often prefer to send their kids to a private international school though, partly because it'll be tough for the kids to handle doing everything in another language (although depending on the age this can work out well) and partly because a lot of these international schools are really, really good.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,296
    For those wot missed it earlier:

**** Lab and Con tied in ELBOW! ****

It's that time of the week again, ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week) for week-ending 15th March - 11 polls total weighted samples 13,108:

Con 33.2 (-0.1)
    Lab 33.2 (-0.3)
    UKIP 14.8 (+0.4)
    LD 7.4 (+0.1)
    Green 5.7 (-0.3)

Lab lead 0.0 (-0.2) - close, but no e-cigarette for Crossover fans!
    Greens down to lowest score for three months

Was it all you hoped for? :cold_sweat:
  • Options
    LibDems and Greens in ELBOW since August 2014. Greens on lowest score since mid-December 2014:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/577255504986116097
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    GeoffM said:

MP_SE said:

Easily? Are you sure, considering the competition? And that's assuming you meant to say "in politics today".
    If what's said is true then he'd be eyeing a top 10 finish but let's not get carried away here.
    He's self made, he has achieved everything he has by wheeling and dealing. He's got stinking rich because of it, and some people have a real problem with that. He seems to have suffered some serious challenges in his life, yet he has got over them.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

MP_SE said:

Maybe not the most but there is something shocking about how a man who used to sell get rich quick books is now in the role of Chairman of the Conservative Party. Someone I know said that he made their skin crawl after watching him on QT and that was without knowing his background.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

GeoffM said:

MP_SE said:

Maybe not the most but there is something shocking about how a man who used to sell get rich quick books is now in the role of Chairman of the Conservative Party. Someone I know said that he made their skin crawl after watching him on QT and that was without knowing his background.
    Smarmy evasive con artist
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2015
    notme said:

GeoffM said:

MP_SE said:

He's self made, he has achieved everything he has by wheeling and dealing. He's got stinking rich because of it, and some people have a real problem with that. He seems to have suffered some serious challenges in his life, yet he has got over them.

From the little I know, I am rather uncomfortable with the general area of these products he used to sell. I have a (former) friend who got dragged into that world and a lot of it (I don't know exact ins and outs of what Mr Green was selling) is not illegal, but dubious how useful it is.

I have seen numerous products / seminars where start off with the come for a free talk, then they hard sell you the proper courses, where they charge £100's for information that anybody could get from google and actually you really need to know a lot more in order to be really successful e.g. with property speculation or trading on the markets.

They target a certain type of individual wanting to achieve their dreams, when those that know about things like property development will tell you making money at anything is damn hard work, require a lot of smarts and dedication, going on a few hour course or reading so packaged info wont get you there.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    FROM UK POLLING REPORT

If there was a choice between a minority Labour government or an SNP/Lab coalition with a majority, Labour voters would be evenly divided but if the alternative was another Tory government Labour voters would back a deal with the SNP by 6 to 1.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    The analysis found that the 100 most burdensome EU-derived regulations cost the UK some £33 billion a year.

However, if Britain were to exchange full membership for the “Norway option” of a free-trade agreement then 93 of those regulations would remain in place at a cost of £31.4 billion.

That is because in the European Economic Area – made up of the EU 28 states, as well as Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein – regulations on financial services, employment laws and energy policies still apply.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11474099/Only-way-to-cut-33bn-cost-of-EU-is-to-stay-and-renegotiate-says-report.html
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

notme said:

GeoffM said:

MP_SE said:

From the little I know, I am rather uncomfortable with the general area of these products he used to sell. I have a (former) friend who got dragged into that world and a lot of it (I don't know exact ins and outs of what Mr Green was selling) is not illegal, but dubious how useful it is.

I have seen numerous products / seminars where start off with the come for a free talk, then they hard sell you the proper courses, where they charge £100's for information that anybody could get from google and actually you really need to know a lot more in order to be really successful e.g. with property speculation or trading on the markets.

They target a certain type of individual wanting to achieve their dreams, when those that know about things like property development will tell you making money at anything is damn hard work, require a lot of smarts and dedication, going on a few hour course or reading so packaged info wont get you there.
    I remember Michael Green's attempts to flood the eMarket with his er, interesting books on how to survive the market crash back in the 2003 or so. Intense spamming was involved. And much was made in the chat rooms of how he was an MP using a pseudonym to avoid being recognised.

I've always wondered if he had given a copy of his books to GO to get some hints?
  • Options
    edited March 2015

The analysis found that the 100 most burdensome EU-derived regulations cost the UK some £33 billion a year.

However, if Britain were to exchange full membership for the “Norway option” of a free-trade agreement then 93 of those regulations would remain in place at a cost of £31.4 billion.

That is because in the European Economic Area – made up of the EU 28 states, as well as Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein – regulations on financial services, employment laws and energy policies still apply.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11474099/Only-way-to-cut-33bn-cost-of-EU-is-to-stay-and-renegotiate-says-report.html

Except few committed Eurosceptics envisage remaining in the EEA (as it retains free movement of labour). The report is predicated on a false premise. Yet another Open Europe (sycophantic pro-EU think tank) strawman report goes up in flames.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

FROM UK POLLING REPORT

If there was a choice between a minority Labour government or an SNP/Lab coalition with a majority, Labour voters would be evenly divided but if the alternative was another Tory government Labour voters would back a deal with the SNP by 6 to 1.

Liberal Democrats would prefer a Conservative-led government to a Labour one by 50-37%; UKIP voters share their preference by 46-18%.

The Liberal Democrats are in high demand to fill the remaining 60 or so seats required to push either party over the majority threshold of 326. For those who would rather Labour became the largest party, they are the most popular coalition partners (chosen by 25%). For those who would prefer a Conservative-led government, they are the chosen by 36%.

The SNP will almost certainly have the most weight in talks with Labour. Ed Miliband, however, has been under pressure to rule them out of a coalition, and only 19% of Labour backers want them as coalition partners. That said, most (56%) say they should leave open the possibility of a deal with the SNP, although among the population as a whole this is opposed by 43-32% – perhaps because they see a Labour-SNP government as making the possibility of another independence referendum more likely (50% say more likely, 7% less likely and 23% say it would make no difference).

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/03/14/what-kind-coalition-do-public-want/
  • Options

Except few committed Eurosceptics envisage remaining in the EEA (as it retains free movement of labour). The report is predicated on a false premise. Yet another Open Europe (sycophantic pro-EU think tank) strawman report goes up in flames.
    They have also completely ignored the role of upstream international bodies which have a huge influence on EU legislation. The UK would be able to represent themselves whislt the EU is stuck representing 28 member states whose interests are usually conflicting.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Populus, Yougov and Ashcroft tommorow
  • Options
    Any others ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Any others ?

ICM perhaps by Tuesday.
  • Options
    TNS too, unless they've bowed out!!
  • Options

TNS too, unless they've bowed out!!

Could be the biggest ELBOW ever :O
  • Options
    PB mods & bods.. do you have any choice in the ads on here?

For starters, I'm disappointed I'm not getting adverts for Russian brides. Please fix this ASAP.

More importantly, some ads now have automatic audio which I can't seem to stop even on the ad itself. Very annoying. Can you opt out of these?
  • Options
    Stephen Fisher's model suggests that neither

Labour at 5-2 or Conservative at 3-10 for most votes is value.

Right now, but Ed Miliband next PM is the correct price at 5-4, certainly Dave to remain in the job at 4-7 is a poor bet.
  • Options
    74% chance Con most votes; 41% Dave still PM.
  • Options
    Indigo said:
    They have managed to avoid the Government’s £26,000-a-year benefits cap because Mr Prudham works enough hours to claim working tax credit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2996106/Pregnant-mother-11-makes-39-000-year-benefits-seen-shopping-handbags-store-purses-cost-275-each.html

YouGov:

Reducing the maximum amount of benefits a household can receive each year from £26,000 to £23,000 (net): +39
  • Options
    The 'price to pay' for an SNP coalition - net support

Get rid of Trident:
    Scotland: +15
    England: -28

Keep Trident but move from Scotland
    Scotland: -4
    England: +1

SINDYREF2
    Scotland: -
    England: -36

Devolve more - eg Welfare/Oil revenue
    Scotland: +41
    England: -22

Pick the bones out of that Ed!
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited March 2015

Indigo said:
    They have managed to avoid the Government’s £26,000-a-year benefits cap because Mr Prudham works enough hours to claim working tax credit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2996106/Pregnant-mother-11-makes-39-000-year-benefits-seen-shopping-handbags-store-purses-cost-275-each.html

YouGov:

Reducing the maximum amount of benefits a household can receive each year from £26,000 to £23,000 (net): +39
    Aha, so WFTC doesn't count in the cap, even although its a benefit by another name. Surely since you can get WFTC from selling a couple of Big Issues a week, that's a bit of an oversight.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

"Committed Eurosceptics" are all over the place on this - IIRC UKIP's position is that the UK will be in the EEA initially, but then transition to something unspecified.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

"Committed Eurosceptics" are all over the place on this - IIRC UKIP's position is that the UK will be in the EEA initially, but then transition to something unspecified.
    I think they are quite clear on it.

http://www.ukip.org/policies_for_people
    - We would review all legislation and regulations from the EU (3,600 new laws since 2010) and remove those which hamper British prosperity and competitiveness.

– We would negotiate a bespoke trade agreement with the EU to enable our businesses to continue trading to mutual advantage.

UKIP would not seek to remain in the European Free Trade Area (EFTA) or European Economic Area (EEA) while those treaties maintain a principle of free movement of labour, which prevents the UK managing its own borders.

– We would reoccupy the UK’s vacant seat at the World Trade Organisation, ensuring that we continue to enjoy ‘most favoured nation’ status in trade with the EU, as is required under WTO rules.
This discussion has been closed.