Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Ashcroft polling on the leaders

Comments

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

For conspiracy theorists everywhere today, watch Person of Interest :-)

I rather like PoI - its got the tiddliest cast, most implausible plots but great viewing. The final episodes in the current series are a bit arse about face - I had to watch them twice to make sure I got all the references as it jumped forward and back through time.

EDIT for anyone interested - The Killing is back on.
    For me, the freakiest bit was right at the end of the last episode of series 2. No more details as I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
    Have you tried Haven, Eureka, Supernatural or Warehouse 13? They have their ups and downs - IIRC you liked Fringe. I can't get into Continuum yet.
    Haven - No
    Eureka - yes for the first few series then it got silly
    Supernatural - yes for about 4 series then I lost the plot :-)
    Warehouse 13 - yes but like you I felt it was rubbish after the first couple of series.
    Fringe - no, what's it about?
    Continuum - is that a Stargate spin off?

How about Alphas, not a bad retake on X men, Heroes mutant X etc.
    Haven's quite good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haven_(TV_series)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,972
    I think Cameron's word-cloud is far better than the other leaders, particularly the one that matters - Ed.

Better to be Out of Touch, arrogant and standing up for Britain rather than out of depth, weak and likeable.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    BenM said:

Socrates said:

Very courageous by Dave to do this, I'd expect some on the right to be very unhappy

David Cameron to reinforce importance of Britain's EU membership

PM to join forces with Kenneth Clarke prior to G8 summit to argue EU membership guarantees Britain a seat at the 'top table'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jun/10/david-cameron-ken-clarke-eu-membership

It's almost like we're not one of the top seven economies, have a permanent seat at the UN security council, are one of the few nuclear powers, have an incredibly close intelligence sharing relationship with the world's super power and are one of the few nuclear powers.
    Sounds like France.

France is in the EU last time I looked.

Even assuming your argument made even the slightest amount of logical sense (another powerful country that is powerful for a bunch of non-EU reasons is in the EU, thus its power must come from the EU?!?), you're still wrong: France doesn't have an intelligence sharing relationship with the United States. Or us for that matter. That shows up what a crock of shit the close European alliance is: we more freely share information with countries outside the EU than we do with those inside the EU.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Before I disappear, we should be getting the Guardian/ICM poll today.

I'm feeling all kinda mystic this morning so Lab -1, Con +1, UKIP -1, LD No Change
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited June 2013
    Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

I rather like PoI - its got the tiddliest cast, most implausible plots but great viewing. The final episodes in the current series are a bit arse about face - I had to watch them twice to make sure I got all the references as it jumped forward and back through time.

For me, the freakiest bit was right at the end of the last episode of series 2. No more details as I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
    Have you tried Haven, Eureka, Supernatural or Warehouse 13? They have their ups and downs - IIRC you liked Fringe. I can't get into Continuum yet.
    Haven - No
    Warehouse 13 - yes but like you I felt it was rubbish after the first couple of series.

Haven is like Eureka crossed with Supernatural. I liked Eureka - but it needed to stop a season earlier... as is ever the way.

Fringe is based on a female FBI agent/ a mad scientist & his son and lots of weird unexplained sci-fi 'fringe' events. A bit like X-Files but I liked it a lot more.

Gets great ratings in IMDb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119644/?ref_=sr_1

I haven't seen Stargate - does that have Robert Carlyle in it? He makes an excellent Rumplestiltskin in Once Upon A Time.

Supernatural has some great bits, but I find Dean a really annoying character and it was all over the place in S8. W13 was terrible after S2 and is barely worth even having on whilst making my tea. The characters appear to have become teenage versions of themselves. It's down to 500k viewers and is being axed.

Haven't tried Alphas - thanks for the tip. Assume you've seen Grimm?
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Socrates said:

I've also just noted that the All Party Parliamentary Group on immigration has the left-wing Migrant Rights' Network as it's secretariat! These are the people who have a formal aim to "ensure recognition of immigration in the creation of culturally rich and diverse societies".

What a massive conflict of interest... it's becoming clear just how biased the whole report is. Yet the BBC treat it like some neutral body, when they clearly have an agenda.

I don't see any conflict of interest.

Why are you so animated by people wishing to see immigrants treated ok? Where's your decency?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Pulpstar said:

I think Cameron's word-cloud is far better than the other leaders, particularly the one that matters - Ed.

Better to be Out of Touch, arrogant and standing up for Britain rather than out of depth, weak and likeable.

The word clouds of Clegg and EdM are very similar while Cameron's is markedly different from the other two. EdM only differentiates himself from Clegg on greater weirdness and likeability.

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Haven - No

Haven is like Eureka crossed with Supernatural. I liked Eureka - but it needed to stop a season earlier... as is ever the way.

Fringe is based on a female FBI agent/ a mad scientist & his son and lots of weird unexplained sci-fi 'fringe' events. A bit like X-Files but I liked it a lot more.

I haven't seen Stargate - does that have Robert Carlyle in it? He makes an excellent Rumplestiltskin in Once Upon A Time.

Supernatural has some great bits, but I find Dean a really annoying character and it was all over the place in S8. W13 was terrible after S2 and is barely worth even having on whilst making my tea. The characters appear to have become teenage versions of themselves. It's down to 500k viewers and is being axed.
    and @anotherDave

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll try both Haven and Fringe, sound like the sort of thing I'd watch - it would be alone though as it's definitely not Mrs rog's cup of tea.

I'm really into GoT at the moment and was wondering what the other HBO offerings are like - Spartacus, Vikings etc.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    On topic, sort of:
    I had a 'phone interview by Ipsos MORI a couple of days ago. It was putatively political, but there were sneaky questions about car/'phone/house-ownership/newspaper-reading, etc. Indeed, given their format of black-white/either-or styling, those were the only questions that were rigorous. By contrast, I would not like to think that the superficial level of their political queries would influence anybody to do anything.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Haven - No

and @anotherDave

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll try both Haven and Fringe, sound like the sort of thing I'd watch - it would be alone though as it's definitely not Mrs rog's cup of tea.

I'm really into GoT at the moment and was wondering what the other HBO offerings are like - Spartacus, Vikings etc.
    I've not seen Spartacus, but Vikings is excellent. Good theme music too.

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Re Bilderberg and Government spying it is sensible to re-read the comments of Adam Smith

"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices…. "

Does anyone really think that does not apply to Bilderberg?

And:

"It is the highest impertinence and presumption… in kings and ministers, to pretend to watch over the economy of private people, and to restrain their expense... They are themselves always, and without any exception, the greatest spendthrifts in the society. Let them look well after their own expense, and they may safely trust private people with theirs. If their own extravagance does not ruin the state, that of their subjects never will."

And:
    "There is no art which one government sooner learns of another than that of draining money from the pockets of the people."

He really was some writer. Pithy and pointed. Governments are responsible if someone is hurt these days. It seems unfair but in fact it is their biggest advantage. If they are responsible they must do something about it, right? And if they must, they must have sources of information and the power to take it from us. We should be wary.

One last one:
    "The proposal of any new law or regulation of commerce which comes from this order, ought always to be listened to with great precaution, and ought never to be adopted till after having been long and carefully examined, not only with the most scrupulous, but with the most suspicious attention. It comes from an order of men, whose interest is never exactly the same with that of the public, who have generally an interest to deceive and even oppress the public, and who accordingly have, upon many occasions, both deceived and oppressed it."

These principles apply at least as much to those that seek power over us as they do to businessmen.
  • Options
    Bedroom tax is turning into the predicted fiasco.

Tories of course will never learn that a government's P&L is quite unlike that of a household or Business. When you reduce a cost in a household or company budget it can positively affect your overall budget balance.

When a government tries to do it, the cost doesn't necessarily disappear, it just ends up on another - often more expensive - line.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Haven - No

and @anotherDave

I got bored with GoT sometime during S2 - it wasn't really going anywhere, if its picked up some pace, I'll try it again. If you aren't a reader of IMDb - it has really useful viewer reviews for every show and film you could imagine. Just type the name into the Search box and away you go. All reviews are marked with Spoiler Alerts so you can avoid them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119644/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    I watched the first series of Fringe and whilst it does try a bit too hard to be quirky - especially Dad - the final very ballsy image at the end of that first series was worth the whole run up to that point. I have only seen random late night episodes of subsequent series - worth running through?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Just don't get me started on the carnage at the end of the latest episode of Game of Thrones....
  • Options

Just don't get me started on the carnage at the end of the latest episode of Game of Thrones....

Please don't spoil Game of Thrones. Some of us are yet to catch-up.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I watched the first series of Fringe and whilst it does try a bit too hard to be quirky - especially Dad - the final very ballsy image at the end of that first series was worth the whole run up to that point. I have only seen random late night episodes of subsequent series - worth running through?

Definitely - I think it was rather hard to follow during S1 but the rest were well worth the eyeball time. I wasn't sure if the lady with the red hair was a goody or a baddy until right at the end of final season.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    edited June 2013
    The UK's newest political party: http://ni21.com/

Two MLAs and they've already sorted out who the leader and who the deputy leader are.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I read the original last night. It is a truly special article
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    BenM said:

Socrates said:

I've also just noted that the All Party Parliamentary Group on immigration has the left-wing Migrant Rights' Network as it's secretariat! These are the people who have a formal aim to "ensure recognition of immigration in the creation of culturally rich and diverse societies".

What a massive conflict of interest... it's becoming clear just how biased the whole report is. Yet the BBC treat it like some neutral body, when they clearly have an agenda.

I don't see any conflict of interest.
    You don't see any conflict of interest from a parliamentary group on an issue receiving contributions from a lobby group that takes one side of that issue? Perhaps a parliamentary group on the Israel-Palestine issue could get support from the World Zionist Organisation? What about a parliamentary group on welfare reform having the Taxpayer's Alliance as its secretariat?

PS. I absolutely think immigrants should be treated humanely. I just think we should be stringent on how many immigrants there are.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @DavidL Your point about Bilderberg would be better made about G20 summits and the like, which are conspiracies for the mutual glorification of "world leaders". Every now and then, they have something useful to say or do, but most of the time these are make-work for politicians in need of a distraction from more tedious things at home.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    In fairness to the Daily Mail, it's not a new theory. Sellars and Yeatman were making fun of it in 1066 And All That.

See Question 5 in Test Paper IV:

http://silonov.narod.ru/parents/green/1066_08.htm
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    antifrank said:

@DavidL Your point about Bilderberg would be better made about G20 summits and the like, which are conspiracies for the mutual glorification of "world leaders". Every now and then, they have something useful to say or do, but most of the time these are make-work for politicians in need of a distraction from more tedious things at home.

How is Bilderberg any different from a G20 summit, other than the fact it also gives the 1% special access to our political class, further distorting their view of what the most important issues are?

We had a great example of the skewed views of politicians the other day, when the socialist President of France said the Eurozone crisis was over, despite almost 20 million people being out of work.
  • Options
    Neil said:

The UK's newest political party: http://ni21.com/

Two MLAs and they've already sorted out who the leader and who the deputy leader are.

They SOUND pretty reasonable and forward-looking - were they previously OUP moderates? Why not team up with Alliance?
  • Options
    BenM said:

Tories of course will never learn that a government's P&L is quite unlike that of a household or Business. When you reduce a cost in a household or company budget it can positively affect your overall budget balance.

When a government tries to do it, the cost doesn't necessarily disappear, it just ends up on another - often more expensive - line.

Link to unconflicted source?
  • Options

They do do good carnage. :-)

Daenerys' unsullied scene is my favourite so far.
  • Options
    @Socrates The Bilderberg Group is a talking shop. The G20 is not. The G20 is a chance for world leaders to parade and look important. The Bilderberg conference is not. The G20 is an opportunity for world leaders to make vacuous public pronouncements. The Bilderberg conference is an opportunity for them to hear different views behind closed doors.

While I'm sure that the Bilderberg conference reinforces bad behaviour among world leaders, it's relatively harmless.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,357
    edited June 2013
    Talking of Bilderberg, I'm prompted to give a plug to this great play-by-email game:

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/illumin.htm

Essentially you are an evil conspiracy, for example the Bermuda Triangle or the Gnomes of Zurich, seeking to take over the world by building a network of apparently harmless front organisations like the Boy Scouts, the Post Office and the Stamp Collectors. Each has a profile of many characteristics, left/right wing, weird/straight, etc. and the special charm of the game is that you can choose to subtly adjust your own group's profile so as to attract others - for instance, you can decide to become More Weird.

There is also a simpler card game version (which actually came first), and it's all discussed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati_(game)

The game has been criticised by conspiracy theorists as making fun of them. Surely not?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

How is Bilderberg any different from a G20 summit, other than the fact it also gives the 1% special access to our political class, further distorting their view of what the most important issues are?

We had a great example of the skewed views of politicians the other day, when the socialist President of France said the Eurozone crisis was over, despite almost 20 million people being out of work.
    Bilderberg, hah!

This was the most recent officer list I could fine quickly for the organisation that matters... And that's just the US officers...

https://wikispooks.com/ISGP/organisations/pilgrims02/Pilgrims_relevant/2006_Pilgrims_officers_list_tax_form.gif

for those that don't recognise some of the names:

- Miner Warner: Order of St. John of Jerusalem & President of the ESU
    - Mark Sisk: Bishop of New York
    - Kissinger & Volcker I assume people know
    - John Whitehead: former co-Chairman of Goldman
    - Laurence Windsor: Council of the Sovereign Military Orderof the Temple of Jerusalem
    - Robin Duke: wife of Angier Biddle Duke (Duke Tobacco, Duke University, and the Biddles of Andalusia)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@Socrates The Bilderberg Group is a talking shop. The G20 is not. The G20 is a chance for world leaders to parade and look important. The Bilderberg conference is not. The G20 is an opportunity for world leaders to make vacuous public pronouncements. The Bilderberg conference is an opportunity for them to hear different views behind closed doors.

While I'm sure that the Bilderberg conference reinforces bad behaviour among world leaders, it's relatively harmless.

They're both talking shops. They both are chances for world leaders to parade and look important. It's just one does it to TV cameras and the other does it to rich businessmen.

What I'd like is a conference of world leaders and a randomly selected group of the world's population.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

They're both talking shops. They both are chances for world leaders to parade and look important. It's just one does it to TV cameras and the other does it to rich businessmen.

What I'd like is a conference of world leaders and a randomly selected group of the world's population.
    Add an MMA fight cage, and you've got great TV.

• Options
    Got it. Everything solved: tim is at Bilderberg. PB can rest easy.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    BenM said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

TBF in this case it's something that happens in business as well. Our systems fell over? This is costing us millions, get me the person who's supposed to keep them running so I can yell at them. What do you mean we fired him to save money?

I suspect if you look into the decision-making process leading to these savings that cost money you'll find more similarities with equivalent private-sector cock-ups that looked good on the Powerpoint at the time but everybody on the ground could tell would backfire, like the involvement of people with MBAs.
  • Options
    @Socrates Günter Grass argued in "The Flounder" that the UN should be relocated to Calcutta so that the delegates could actually see the way that much of humanity in greatest need lived, and draw up policies accordingly. I have a lot of sympathy with that line of thought.
  • Options
    Blimey

rachel younger @rachyoungersky
    6 men who pleaded guilty to plotting to attack #EDL rally in "murderous plot" sentenced to between 18 yrs & 9 months and 19 yrs & 6 months
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MrJones said:

If the political class cared about terrorism they'd control the border and deport radical preachers. The stasi state they're building isn't for terrorists it's for the public.

Problem is that the lefties and the lawyers make it difficult to take any prompt action within the law. Laws need to be changed.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Seriously, is there no restriction on immigration that lefties won't oppose?

I have come to the conclusion this is a career thing. The other day in a bored moment I looked at the front page of 'socialist worker' website.

Most of the stories were about the EDL, or immigration in some form. The revolution is very much on the back burner. YOu could argue its been cryogenically frozen.

The left are opposing the right on immigration because it's something to do. There isn't much else - as labour's promise to stick to tory spending plans tells us.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Oh dear, Labour vote-machine suffers setback in Birmingham. Always look on the 'bright' side of life....
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    JohnO said:

LOL!

• Options

Oh dear, Labour vote-machine suffers setback in Birmingham. Always look on the 'bright' side of life....

Epic

"Omar Khan, Jewel Uddin, Mohammed Hasseen, Mohammed Saud, Zohaib Ahmed and Anzal Hussain had all admitted terrorism offences in April.

Five of the men took a bomb, knives and sawn-off shotguns to the rally.

But the plotters arrived after the EDL event - held last June in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire - had ended."
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited June 2013
    JohnO said:

I would have thought that scenario would be precisely one to cause much PB restlessness and unease.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060

Talking of Bilderberg, I'm prompted to give a plug to this great play-by-email game:

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/illumin.htm

Essentially you are an evil conspiracy, for example the Bermuda Triangle or the Gnomes of Zurich, seeking to take over the world by building a network of apparently harmless front organisations like the Boy Scouts, the Post Office and the Stamp Collectors. Each has a profile of many characteristics, left/right wing, weird/straight, etc. and the special charm of the game is that you can choose to subtly adjust your own group's profile so as to attract others - for instance, you can decide to become More Weird.

There is also a simpler card game version (which actually came first), and it's all discussed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati_(game)

The game has been criticised by conspiracy theorists as making fun of them. Surely not?

The Illuminatus! Trilogy is one our our favourite books. When I first met Mrs J, we would confuse our colleagues by shouting references based on the books across the office to each other, and occasionally in meetings:

"immanentize the eschaton!"
    "Beware the golden apple!"
    "Let's go to Fernando Poo!"
    "We all live in a golden submarine"
    "We need Hagbard!"

Somehow we weren't sacked...

It really is worth reading the trilogy, if only to see how spaced out Playboy authors were in the 1960s. Some people actually believe some elements of the story,including one ex-colleague of mine who later went into scientology.

And the Iluminatus! Trilogy also gave us some of hte KLF;s greatest songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0mcases4M

And the perfect song for our Scottish friends:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6eo3bnYmwA
  • Options
    JohnO said:

They SOUND pretty reasonable and forward-looking - were they previously OUP moderates? Why not team up with Alliance?

Yes - Basil McCrea was from the liberal wing of the party though his crushing defeat in the leadership election to the frankly useless Tom Elliot revealed how small the liberal wing of that party is. He (and McCallister) eventually split on the issue of Unionist-unity, they didnt fancy getting into bed with the DUP.

The most logical explanation for not joining with Alliance would be problems in agreeing who would be candidates in different constituencies. Though I note that while not a unionist party they are claiming to be pro-union. If you can figure that one out. Also Alliance are probably too illiberal for Basil.
  • Options
    Robert_EveRobert_Eve Posts: 31
    UKIP are doing so well because they are the best party on offer.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    It might also be worth mentioning Celine's three laws:
    1. National Security is the chief cause of national insecurity.
    2. Accurate communication is possible only in a non-punishing situation.
    3. An honest politician is a national calamity.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celine's_Laws
  • Options
    I see the left wing immigration report is still the third story on BBC News. The official report on grooming victims being failed, which is a more recent news story, is seventh.
  • Options
    Was this reported earlier? Or is it of little import to Al-Beeb and associated crims...?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-22837723

What with events in Chiselhurst all over the MSM I wonder if this might presage another Panorama cover-up...?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    BenM said:

If councils don't chase up rents they will be short of cash at the end of the year - same as when people don't stump up for council tax.

Punters refuse to pay ? Well eviction beckons.
  • Options
    I would have thought Boles is more likely to be the target of the turnip taliban than the real thing, what with his plans for what remains of England's green and pleasant land.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Seriously, is there no restriction on immigration that lefties won't oppose?

I have come to the conclusion this is a career thing. The other day in a bored moment I looked at the front page of 'socialist worker' website.

Most of the stories were about the EDL, or immigration in some form. The revolution is very much on the back burner. YOu could argue its been cryogenically frozen.

The left are opposing the right on immigration because it's something to do. There isn't much else - as labour's promise to stick to tory spending plans tells us.

It's a serious question: is there any restriction on immigration that's been supported by Labour? I can't think of one.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Socrates said:

It's a serious question: is there any restriction on immigration that's been supported by Labour? I can't think of one.

To be fair, they did belatedly (nearly at the end of their 13 years in power) bring in the points-based system for non-EU immigrants, which was a sensible package of measures. It's just a pity they didn't do it a decade earlier.
  • Options
    I also note this.

New Statesman: "How the government's immigration rules are tearing families apart"
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/06/how-governments-immigration-rules-are-tearing-families-apart

Guardian: "Immigration policy tearing families apart, report shows"
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/10/immigration-rules-separating-thousands-families

BBC: "How UK immigration laws are splitting families apart"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20207357

When did the memo go round on how to report this?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

It's almost as if someone issued a press release. Scoundrels! Have you ever heard the like?
  • Options
    To be fair to Labour they have never welcomed Martians or other ET types with open arms.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    TGOHF said:

BenM said:

If councils don't chase up rents they will be short of cash at the end of the year - same as when people don't stump up for council tax.

Then they have to be housed somewhere at higher cost.

Misery for no benefit.

That's the Tory way.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

If one is talking about games, you might be interested in Illyriad. In many ways it is very similar to Civilisation, but unlike many of the similar games on the internet, the wars tend to be won by the side that is most politically adept at winning public opinion within the game.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    taffys said:

I would have thought Boles is more likely to be the target of the turnip taliban than the real thing, what with his plans for what remains of England's green and pleasant land.

I honestly have not got a clue why Boles was targeted. Unfortunately Al-Beeb likes to mask attacks upon places of Cult-worship* as 'racist'.

Neither I nor Al-Beeb have any proof about our suspiscions. Unfortunately a political-elite in Al-Beeb/Panorama can distort the truth to fit their lies.**

* I don't really mind most muzzies; having worked with many reasonably good software-developers of said faith and - sadly - having them within the paternal side of the family.***

** Did Panorama only expose Mercer and the Ulster-Unionist Lord? If so why did they ignore Jack Cunningham and that other Labour Lord-Turd that were also exposed...?

*** Ofcourse they are the sensible, Shia-Alevi, types. Beer, pork and Christmas...!

• Options
    Neil said:

Socrates said:

It's almost as if someone issued a press release. Scoundrels! Have you ever heard the like?
    The phrase doesn't exist on the press release on the APPG's website, or in the report itself.

Secondly, even if it is in a press release somewhere, since when should the national broadcaster, with a mandate to be impartial, be repeating phrases cut from press releases?
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Banging on about Europe. Osbrowne's master strategy of genius continues unabated.
    politicshomeuk ‏@politicshomeuk

David Cameron dismisses the “seductive arguments” of leaving the EU, saying they "amount to denial” of reality.
    Take that kippers!

LOL

Poor old tory backbenchers, what a shame.

• Options
    BenM said:

TGOHF said:

BenM said:

Misery for no benefit.

That's the Tory way.
    Can I suggest somewhere with an appropriate number of bedrooms that is more within their means ?

Like the rest of the nation that doesn't have a council property.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    BenM said:

Misery for no benefit.

That's the Tory way.

Considering their means - or lack-of - I assume you mean Stoke. Poor buggers!
  • Options
    Neil said:

Socrates said:

LoL. Saucy eco-puff (copyright - tim the bestial one), you're being exceptionally naughty this morning.

Oh, but thanks for the low-down on the new NI grouplet: at first I wondered whether Basil might be related to the Singing Rev)
  • Options

Quite. Nige will be laughing into his pint this lunchtime...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This should please Cammie's backbenchers no end as well.
    BNE ‏@BNE_Group

.@David_Cameron to confront Tory eurosceptics saying there is “no use hiding away from the world” http://on.ft.com/18ZDcnr
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,357
    Another day, another bunch of posts from Socrates about immigrants and/or Muslims. We get that you're very concerned and think that us lefties don't pay enough attention to it. You sound a decent bloke and are clearly genuinely worried. But you don't half go on about it on every thread. Could you maybe post some cat videos or something to avoid us feeling you're a bit obsessed?
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Banging on about Europe. Osbrowne's master strategy of genius continues unabated.

David Cameron dismisses the “seductive arguments” of leaving the EU, saying they "amount to denial” of reality.
    Take that kippers!

LOL

David Cameron is a Europhile shock?
  • Options
    A majority of London's businessmen think we should seek a looser relationship with the EU or leave altogether:

http://www.cityam.com/article/businesses-call-renegotiation-uk-s-relationship-european-union
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Take that kippers!

LOL

David Cameron is a Europhile shock?

It'll come as a shock to all those gullible enough to believe the flounce that wasn't and his other cast iron posturing.
  • Options
    Cameron is spot on in this

"“To succeed, it’s no use just hiding away from the world – we’ve got to roll our sleeves up and compete in it.”"
  • Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

I think the difference between a Bilderberg or a Davos, for example, and a G20 is that the former are opportunities for rich and powerful businessmen to cosy up to our leaders and influence the future in a way that is beneficial to their interests in the way Adam Smith described all that time ago.

I agree with antifrank that G20 and the like are simply opportunities for our leaders to feel important and to break up the daily grind of their work but as these are usually exclusively intergovernmental they don't have quite the same potential for corruption.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

BenM said:

TGOHF said:

BenM said:

Misery for no benefit.

That's the Tory way.
    Can I suggest somewhere with an appropriate number of bedrooms that is more within their means ?

Like the rest of the nation that doesn't have a council property.
    Should have left well alone. There was no issue, just petty Tory spite.

Now there is an issue. And greater cost.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,826
    Liberal Democrats seem to be pleased with the Labour selection in Bermondsey, which perhaps means Labour may have made the wrong choice.
  • Options
    The UK is failing to stop more financial regulation powers going to Brussels:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-09/u-k-fights-eu-short-sale-powers-after-bank-bonus-defeat.html
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    TGOHF said:

"“To succeed, it’s no use just hiding away from the world – we’ve got to roll our sleeves up and compete in it.”"

Yes, he is. Shame that he thinks the way to do that is to stay in an organisation that puts up trade barriers with the rest of the world, spends half its budget on agricultural subsidies and regulates the hell out of product and labour markets.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Socrates said:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-09/u-k-fights-eu-short-sale-powers-after-bank-bonus-defeat.html

That is not what that article says. It says that the UK is challenging the attempt to have greater financial regulatory powers(over short selling in this case) to the ECJ. Where it will no doubt stay for several years.

The government has been clear from the time that they agreed to greater EZ integration that they reserved the right to challenge any provision which purported to affect the UK. And they have delivered on that undertaking in relation to the proposed financial services tax and now this.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    TGOHF said:

Absolutely. We are in a global competition, for jobs, for business, for education and for prices, as well as energy and food.

In general Western Europe has paid itself far too much for years and so has way out-priced itself in the global market. Our only possible resource is new technology and the Chinese, Indians and Africans are catching up very fast, as their children are generally far better educated than ours and with higher standards and aspirations from both school and parents (using British educational and behavioural standards that we taught them and have largely abandoned ). Also they do not wait for work to come to them, but they seek it out and are prepared to go wherever the opportunities are revealed.

EU protectionism is not the answer to our problems. The business is out there - you just have to go and find it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Socrates said:

That is not what that article says. It says that the UK is challenging the attempt to have greater financial regulatory powers(over short selling in this case) to the ECJ. Where it will no doubt stay for several years.

The government has been clear from the time that they agreed to greater EZ integration that they reserved the right to challenge any provision which purported to affect the UK. And they have delivered on that undertaking in relation to the proposed financial services tax and now this.
    The article also mentioned that they had now completely failed on the bonus issue, which is more what I was talking about. I remember Richard Nabavi saying that if this went through, he'd want to leave the EU.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

A majority of London's businessmen think we should seek a looser relationship with the EU or leave altogether:

http://www.cityam.com/article/businesses-call-renegotiation-uk-s-relationship-european-union

I think that is inevitably where we are headed. We will have a looser "associate" membership with the EU which gives us access to their markets (and they to ours' of course) but with far greater flexibility about whether we choose to adopt EU law or not and smaller but not non-existent contributions. I think that is the sort of scheme that Cameron will be offering and I think the British people will say yes to it.

TGOHF is correct that Cameron is spot on about the need to engage and compete with the world but the relationship with the EU has been fundamentally changed by the creation of the EZ and a new relationship is needed.

I also think he is right to take on UKIP in this way. The world is a lot more complicated than it seems over a G&T. So acknowledge the concerns (which are genuine and valid) but explain the real options rather than the fantasy.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Did anyone else watch the series of programmes about the railways on BBC Parliament last night? I hope they do the same about other subjects, especially during the summer, when all they seem to show are reruns of debates from the Welsh Assembly.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @DavidL

Cameron hasn't got a chance in hell of negotiating some sort of associate member status. The best he'll get is reform of a couple of areas, and some minor repatriations. We'll still be subject to the vast majority of EU law, we'll still be an integral part of the CAP, we'll still have no control over EU immigration, and we'll still not be able to negotiate our own trading agreements.

What UKIP are wanting is just a network of bilateral trade deals. That's very realistic and is what plenty of other countries in the world have. Why on Earth is it a "fantasy" to get an arrangement that already exists in the world, but realistic to get some imaginary partial EU membership that does not exist, and would need unanimous agreement to get?
  • Options
    'I think that is the sort of scheme that Cameron will be offering and I think the British people will say yes to it'.

I would love to agree with you, but experience tells me its very doubtful the EU will allow Cameron to offer the public a such a deal.

• Options
    Why on Earth is it a "fantasy" to get an arrangement that already exists in the world, but realistic to get some imaginary partial EU membership that does not exist, and would need unanimous agreement to get???

What irked me a little was DavidL's patronising attitude. 'the world is a lot more complicated than it seems over a gin and tonic' is the attitude of someone who has learned nothing whatever from the rise of UKIP.

UKIP are popular because the voters are sick of being talked down to by those who consider it their calling to organise the world on their behalf.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

DavidL said:

Socrates said:

The article also mentioned that they had now completely failed on the bonus issue, which is more what I was talking about. I remember Richard Nabavi saying that if this went through, he'd want to leave the EU.
    The article is also a bit simplistic about this too although the news is not great. There are 2 new pieces of legislation, the Capital Requirements Regulation which is directly applicable across all member states and the Capital Requirements Direction which has to be implemented in each member state. The vote that the UK lost was in the EU parliament on the latter where the majority (including Labour MEPs) voted for the 2:1 limit.

These rules would come into force either on 1.1.14 or 1.7.14 but if they follow the normal course there will then be a period in which MSs have to bring them into effect. We have a reputation of gold plating such directives. Whether we do so in this case may well depend on the outcome of the next election.

• Options
    @DavidL

But there are key obstacles in the way of that vision. Most notably the French.

Some EU and / or EZ countries really want to compete, as they realise that is the only way to survive in a globalised world. This camp includes Dave, the Germans, the Finns, probably the Dutch and others.

Then there is the 'let's put globalisation back in its box, build trade barriers and fester inside our own cess' tendency. The French lead this with only Brussels itself in second place. This camp will die in the ditch before they allow open competition with the rest of the world. Is there even a phrase for 'supply side reform' in French? Does not compute.

We (and others seeking to compete) will never get what we want from the EU. BOO is the way to go.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Why on Earth is it a "fantasy" to get an arrangement that already exists in the world, but realistic to get some imaginary partial EU membership that does not exist, and would need unanimous agreement to get???

What irked me a little was DavidL's patronising attitude. 'the world is a lot more complicated than it seems over a gin and tonic' is the attitude of someone who has learned nothing whatever from the rise of UKIP.

UKIP are popular because the voters are sick of being talked down to by those who consider it their calling to organise the world on their behalf.

Fair point taffys, that was gratuitous and unfair.

• Options
    Cameron calls out the left

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10110200/David-Cameron-dont-patronise-little-Englanders-worried-by-immigration.html

""We're familiar with some of the arguments," he said. "Open your borders. National sovereignty is obsolete. Multilateral relationships are the only ones that matter, bilateral ones are so 20th century.
    "And we're familiar, too, with their frankly patronising approach to those who may disagree.

"You're a Little Englander' they say. 'You don't get the modern world.
    This approach - largely pursued under the last Government - didn't feel too good for ordinary people and frankly it didn't do too much for our competitiveness either.""

• Options
    The article is also a bit simplistic about this too although the news is not great.

There you go again. People who oppose EU membership simply cannot get their heads around the complexities of why its such a good idea. Therefore they shouldn't be listened to.
    Its an utterly toxic attitude that is as responsible for the rise of UKIP as anything else.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Another day, another bunch of posts from Socrates about immigrants and/or Muslims. We get that you're very concerned and think that us lefties don't pay enough attention to it. You sound a decent bloke and are clearly genuinely worried. But you don't half go on about it on every thread. Could you maybe post some cat videos or something to avoid us feeling you're a bit obsessed?

What a cheek,if you had spoken out at the time your Government were in office,when they had open borders to Unrestricted immigration ,then maybe a lot more people wouldn't be so worried.

Did you mr palmer ever speak out on mass immigration by your government ?

• Options
    @taffys UKIP are popular because a section of society are tired of having to wrestle with the complexities and shades of grey that the modern world requires, and would prefer not to have to think about them. Grubby compromise isn't as much fun as flouncing off in a purist huff. But it's usually a better solution in the long term.
  • Options
    Could there possibly be a worse/better name for a massive surveillance programme than Boundless Informant? I've just seen its PRISM's sibling run by the NSA... :^O
  • Options
    Patrick said:

@DavidL

We (and others seeking to compete) will never get what we want from the EU. BOO is the way to go.

Could argue that the way to get a BOO vote in a referendum is to try and fail at getting a better deal.

The only things stopping Uk leaving by 2020 are the EU failing to give Cam enough - or a Lib/Lab government in 2015.

Ukip will therefore by getting 5%+ at the GE keep us in until at least 2020.

• Options
    Financier said:

TGOHF said:

EU protectionism is not the answer to our problems. The business is out there - you just have to go and find it.
    The way Germany do (from inside the EU) you mean?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    TGOHF said:

Cameron calls out the left

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10110200/David-Cameron-dont-patronise-little-Englanders-worried-by-immigration.html

""We're familiar with some of the arguments," he said. "Open your borders. National sovereignty is obsolete.

I think that must be addressed to me, hardly anyone on the left or right agrees with me, sadly.
  • Options

What a cheek,if you had spoken out at the time your Government were in office,when they had open borders to Unrestricted immigration ,then maybe a lot more people wouldn't be so worried.

Did you mr palmer ever speak out on mass immigration by your government ?

Cameron's speech today references the attitudes held by the ex-Mp of whom you talk.

• Options

I think that must be addressed to me, hardly anyone on the left or right agrees with me, sadly.

You can join Fluffy and I as pb's advocates for open borders.
  • Options
    May I join pb's open borders society?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Patrick said:

@DavidL

But there are key obstacles in the way of that vision. Most notably the French.

Some EU and / or EZ countries really want to compete, as they realise that is the only way to survive in a globalised world. This camp includes Dave, the Germans, the Finns, probably the Dutch and others.

Then there is the 'let's put globalisation back in its box, build trade barriers and fester inside our own cess' tendency. The French lead this with only Brussels itself in second place. This camp will die in the ditch before they allow open competition with the rest of the world. Is there even a phrase for 'supply side reform' in French? Does not compute.

I think that these are our options. Out or associate status. I agree that getting the latter is not goign to be easy and will require us to threaten the former in a way that shows that we mean it. I don't think it will prove impossible as long as we are convincing though. In the meantime the actions taken by the government in respect of financial services are not unuseful in setting the ground works for such discussions.

• Options
    antifrank said:

May I join pb's open borders society?

It's a closed group, AF ;)
  • Options
    taffys said:

The article is also a bit simplistic about this too although the news is not great.

There you go again. People who oppose EU membership simply cannot get their heads around the complexities of why its such a good idea. Therefore they shouldn't be listened to.
    Its an utterly toxic attitude that is as responsible for the rise of UKIP as anything else.

Actually I think what we've seen since Cameron's Europe speech is that pandering to the vastly over simplistic UKIP line on the EU actually feeds the monster.

And poll after poll highlights the British public's lack of knowledge about the EU and how it works. You don't have to like the EU, it has many failings, but I'm sorry, I'm not going to respect the opinions of Outers when so much of it is built upon sheer ignorance.
This discussion has been closed.