Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It can be argued that the flawed polls are those that don’t

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    Mr. O, alleged to have punched (or aimed a punch, accounts vary).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,284
    Patrick said:

It looks to me as if Clarkson vs Auntie has become a proxy war for the whole normal people vs PC leftyism debate. (of which Frage vs political elite is just another theatre of war). FWIW I think the developed world is well past 'peak lefty' now and seriously PC attiutudes are no longer cool at all - especially among the young. I signed the 'Je suis Jezza' petititon because I too find the BBC to be a swamp of anti-market, anti-freedom, anti-anything that Russell Brand doesn't masturbate to awfulness. I really hope Clarkson gets a huge public bandwagon behind him, leaves the Beeb behind and takes ITV or Sky's shilling as a big FU2 to his droning right-on masters. In the end I think Clarkson represents freedom of thought and expression, however disasteful his free thoughts and expressions may be to some, and that is worth fighting for.

You think normal people thump other people because there is no dinner.

Presumably you treat your wife to that brand of normal?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,070

If he missed, it just makes it all the more diva-ish.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Any producer who fails to provide some form of sustenance on a remote location needs to have his arse whupped.. not because of the crew going hungry but the entire thing has to be closed down whilst they go an find a place to eat.. probably taking the upper end of two hours. That is why caterers are provided..Work out the cost out on a man per hour basis.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Roger said:

Cameron at first showed a different face. These right wing hangers on didn't much like him. But yesterday I thought that had started to shift. Murdoch and Brooks and then Clarkson and now a petition by the Guido Fawkes which ticks all the boxes of an attack on the BBC. Next we get a Republican President and suddenly all the ducks are in a row. It's the time for the left to be very afraid. Birds of a feather just can't help sticking together

The fatuity of that sort of statement in a country that only recently left 13 years of Labour, and where most of the significant decision makers in the country are still Blairite place men is breathtaking. The right are only marginally in government now, hobbled as they are with a LD coalition.

Even if that were not the case you only have to look at the pronouncements of senior policemen (see the recent pontifications of Hogan-Howe on how people should install police CCTV in their house), the educational establishment, local government officials, the disgrace that is child protection in many areas, academia etc to see they are dominated in right-on lefties.

It doesn't much matter who gets elected this time, even a storming Conservative majority would have a decade of work ahead to prise out the leftist placemen and start to make things better. Leftie birds stick together as well.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Patrick said:

It looks to me as if Clarkson vs Auntie has become a proxy war for the whole normal people vs PC leftyism debate. (of which Frage vs political elite is just another theatre of war). FWIW I think the developed world is well past 'peak lefty' now and seriously PC attiutudes are no longer cool at all - especially among the young. I signed the 'Je suis Jezza' petititon because I too find the BBC to be a swamp of anti-market, anti-freedom, anti-anything that Russell Brand doesn't masturbate to awfulness. I really hope Clarkson gets a huge public bandwagon behind him, leaves the Beeb behind and takes ITV or Sky's shilling as a big FU2 to his droning right-on masters. In the end I think Clarkson represents freedom of thought and expression, however disasteful his free thoughts and expressions may be to some, and that is worth fighting for.

Yeah, that ridiculous PC leftist obsession with not punching people you work with
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,060
    edited March 2015
    Delete

• Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited March 2015

antifrank said:

The Lib Dems need to know who has the local reputation such that makes saving them feasible. This polling may assist them with that. But I struggle to accept that asking about respondents' favourability towards named candidates then asking about polling intentions is a neutral way of presenting matters.

The idea of an opinion poll is to find out how people will vote in the polling booth , They will not go into the polling booth , vote , come out and then discuss their favourability for the named candidates and/or parties . That is what they will do before they go and vote so the Lib Dem approach in this poll seems to be correct .
    Incidentally the field work for this poll seems to be March 3rd so it is very recent .
    They will consider all the parties and candidates and have the party leaders rammed down their throat by the media.

What they wont be doing is having a cosy chat about their local libdem mp and their attributes with a pollster immediately before going into the polling booth.

Also most voters know very little if anything about the other candidates yet which wont be the case come early May

Some will vote on the local MPs attributes, many wont.
  • Options
    Mr. Nashe, 'aimed a punch' could also include a mocking deliberate swing-and-miss.

People don't have to prove their innocence, the case against them is what must be proved.

Mr. Owls, I suspect most people won't care. Prescott's punch did him no harm, and the vast majority of Top Gear watchers will be fully willing to give Clarkson the benefit of the doubt.

Mr. Indigo, Hogan-Howe is a king amongst cretins.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Indigo said:

Pong said:

Indigo said:

FPT:

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

almost 190,000 signatures, so going well for the BBC then.

Looks like ITV is about to offer Clarkson £10m to come over to them.

BBC - always able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Then Clarkson will become ITV's problem. Clarkson punching a producer does brand Clarkson no damage. It does do the BBC damage though - it would also do ITV damage.
    As much damage as sacking/sidelining the BBC Saville journalists and promoting those who suppressed the story, even to the extent of running the disastrous Newsnight McAlpine story?
    [snip] In general the problem is the BBC hate cars because its against the pro-green pro-environment right on view. They hate people who are not politically correct. They would prefer it to be presented by three women, and be much more socially "relevant". In short there isn't much about TG that they like - except the money, and their hatred of all the rest seems to have overshadowed their common sense.
    Indeed - There’s a certain, parallel irony with the Guardian news-paper; for all their green credentials and protestations against the combustion engine, it was flogging second hand cars through Auto-Trader that kept them out of the pauper’s prison for so long.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,355
    Patrick,

"It looks to me as if Clarkson vs Auntie has become a proxy war for the whole normal people vs PC leftyism debate." I agree. Clarkson may be obnoxious but he's not PC.

Pong, Thank you Dr Freud, you may have a point, but there's an element of PC here too. Telling me how to think, as Roserees does, makes me want to do the opposite.

Sorry, I feel a rant coming on ...

The three girls going to Syria is a tragedy for their families but the excuse is they're only children. One is sixteen, the age which Ed thinks us suitable to be given the vote. Hmm ...

The older generation had it cushy according to some. Some may have done, but most didn't.

When I look back half a century, what do I remember? The lastest game of football? The homework I’d not done? The secret crush on the girl up the road? No, I remember the bone-freezing cold as I long-hoed rows of cabbages in a field about half the size of Kazakhstan.

Esater must have been early in 1965 because school had broken up for the holidays and I shivered uncontrollably in the seasonal Siberian gale whistling across the flat fenland fields. The row of brassica stetched unbroken to the horizon about ten miles distant, where four lost Yorkshiremen complained about the younger generation.

Ah ... , as I’d just started smoking, I fumbled in my jacket pocket for the packet of five Park Drive and the box of matches. Despite the sub-zero conditions, I managed with my frozen fingers to strike the match, but the icy gale extinguished it straight away.

What would I have thought if I could have looked fifty years forward to the mollycoddled youth of today?

Something along the lines of ... “Bloody Poles and Lithuanians, never here when you need them.”

If poverty is the wrong trademark on your trainers, or racking up a debt to go to university, that's not poverty.

Poverty is poverty of the lack of food and medicine (usually only abroad now) or poverty of aspiration - still a problem.

I may be an old git but I dislike being patronised - even when it's not really meant.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Was Mr Ghia like Mr Vanden Plas?

Pong said:

Indigo said:

FPT:

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

almost 190,000 signatures, so going well for the BBC then.

Looks like ITV is about to offer Clarkson £10m to come over to them.

BBC - always able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Given the worldwide popularity of top gear, the trio could just start their own rip off show and sell it direct to the networks/amazon/sony/netflix.
    Top Ghia?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and the named candidate issue can be overplayed. Look at Holyrood 2011.
    Here is a sample of long standing, well known politicians who lost.
    Andy Kerr in East Kilbride, former Labour minister
    Pauline MacNeill in Glasgow North, Labour
    Frank McAveety in Shettleston, former Labour minister
    David Whitton in Strathkelvin and Bearsden, former spin-doctor to Gordon Brown
    Mike Pringle in Edinburgh South, LibDem incumbent for 8 years
    Mike Rumbles in West Aberdeenshire, LibDem incumbent for 12 years
    Jeremy Purvis in Tweeddale, LibDem incumbent for 12 years
    Margaret Smith in Edinburgh West, LibDem incumbent for 12 years

Which goes to show as Michael Portillo proved, when your time is up your time is up!
  • Options
    Suggest that comment by Mr. S is deleted (and Mr. Financier's post referring to it amended). Potentially dodgy comments shouldn't be posted here, as it could put Mr. Smithson at risk of legal action.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

antifrank said:

The Lib Dems need to know who has the local reputation such that makes saving them feasible. This polling may assist them with that. But I struggle to accept that asking about respondents' favourability towards named candidates then asking about polling intentions is a neutral way of presenting matters.

The idea of an opinion poll is to find out how people will vote in the polling booth , They will not go into the polling booth , vote , come out and then discuss their favourability for the named candidates and/or parties . That is what they will do before they go and vote so the Lib Dem approach in this poll seems to be correct .
    Incidentally the field work for this poll seems to be March 3rd so it is very recent .
    They will consider all the parties and candidates and have the party leaders rammed down their throat by the media.

What they wont be doing is having a cosy chat about their local libdem mp and their attributes with a pollster immediately before going into the polling booth.

Also most voters know very little if anything about the other candidates yet which wont be the case come early May

Some will vote on the local MPs attributes, many wont.
    Tables 10 , 11 and 12 of the poll give some measure of voter's knowledge of the candidates and which parties are working the constituency and how many are likely to be influenced in their vote by the campaign .
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Roger said:

an attack on the BBC

The most damaging attack on the BBC in the past week I have seen has been Nick Cohen's in the Observer...
  • Options

Suggest that comment by Mr. S is deleted (and Mr. Financier's post referring to it amended). Potentially dodgy comments shouldn't be posted here, as it could put Mr. Smithson at risk of legal action.

Agreed
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Yeah, that ridiculous PC leftist obsession with not punching people you work with

Which has yet to be ascertained, and with characteristic openness the BBC has banned all its staff from commenting on the matter, so no one knows. There is an allegation, and a denial, that's all we know.
  • Options
    On the bright side, If he is sacked could free Jezza up to be Tory London mayor candidate.

Would probably win easy judging by the Petition response
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The BBC seem to be ignoring their customers and their bill payers.

Sack the management.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,355
    edited March 2015
    Right, I feel better for the mini rant, but I forgot to add the point to it.

PC means telling people what to think and how to behave. I agree with some elements of it but the decision should be up to me unless it hurts others.

And it seems that the most ardent proponents are the ones who are sure they know best.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,300
    edited March 2015
    Indigo

"Which has yet to be ascertained, and with characteristic openness the BBC has banned all its staff from commenting on the matter, so no one knows. There is an allegation, and a denial, that's all we know."

Well he has history. He took a swing at Piers Morgan on two separate occasions. Obviously the BBC being slightly more classy than Piers have decided not to announce it publically.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Imagine if the Tories win the election without a single Scottish MP. The democratic deficit of the people of Scotland being ruled by a regional party would be huge. An affront to the very notion of democracy © The English Press

Imagine the SNP are in government without a single English, Welsh or Irish MP. The democratic deficit of 92% of the people of the UK being ruled by a regional (8% UK) party would be huge.......
    Did I need to do italics again?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Indigo said:

Which has yet to be ascertained, and with characteristic openness the BBC has banned all its staff from commenting on the matter, so no one knows. There is an allegation, and a denial, that's all we know.
    Seems pretty sensible to let due process play itself out and reserve judgement until then, perhaps?
  • Options
    murali hurting at the latest polls - he'll be banging on about melting ice in Boston next.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

If poverty is the wrong trademark on your trainers, or racking up a debt to go to university, that's not poverty.

Poverty is poverty of the lack of food and medicine (usually only abroad now) or poverty of aspiration - still a problem.

I may be an old git but I dislike being patronised - even when it's not really meant.

Indeed Mr CD13.

I live in the third world, and see real poverty every day, and indeed spend quite a lot of each day trying to get people out of it, and yet the spongers sitting on the dole in the UK have luxuries and benefits that would be out of reach of all but the most well to do people here. So much of the bleating from the UK about poverty is nothing more than #firstworldproblems. To put things in perspective I pay one of our site foremen, a skilled and respected man amongst his peers (at substantially above the market rate) around £7 per day.

• Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Easterross

"Morning all and the named candidate issue can be overplayed"

Exactly right. I well recall the loss of 9 of the 11 SNP seats at the 1979 GE. The SNP vote fell from 30% to 17% (so perhaps not as badly as the Lib Dems vote may fall even in England now!).

However, virtually all their MPs were popular individuals who performed much better than UNS in the election, but still lost albeit by narrow margins in most cases.

It also seems to me that without the second/list/party vote that Holyrood provides, there is not the option to vote for an admired constituency MSP but still vote for one's preferred party on the list.

I believe that Jackie Baillie and Malcolm Chisholm were both saved for that reason-Baillie was regarded as an energetic high profile MSP and Chisholm enjoyed considerable SNP respect for resigning over Trident (only Lab MSP to hold his Edinburgh seat in 2011). Both seats gave the SNP the lead on the second/list/party vote.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The Justine stunt was pure desperation

Absolutely.

Its ironic isn't it the cries of desperation from the party that thought it ok to smear the families of their enemies err i mean political opponents.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,417
    Will Ed's first PMQ be to ask what the government is doing about Top Gear?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,306
    Issues that matter to the British public right now:

1) Top Gear off the Telly
    2) Jagger's poisoning.
    3) Annie Power costing everyone a small fortune yesterday.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

2) Jagger's poisoning.

You missed out who is going have to leave the latest round of Strictly Celebrity Britain's Got Bake-off.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

2) Jagger's poisoning.

Shows what a big issue the debates aren't - the public would rather have a Top Gear special.

Ed will go on Mirror Hacking - not.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Indigo,

"Looks like ITV is about to offer Clarkson £10m to come over to them."

BBC always seemed a bad fit for Top Gear. A laddish programme on the most politically correct channel ever. I'm surprised it lasted so long.

Can anyone actually remember a BBC to ITV deal that has worked out recently?!

Adrian Chiles, Christine Bleakley, Susanna Reid, Jonathan Ross, Parkinson, Des Lynam....All big stars who never seem to quite work out on ITV. I doubt Clarkson would buck the trend.
  • Options
    Todays BJESUS

11.3.15 LAB 290 (295) CON 273(269) LD 30(30) UKIP 3(2) Others 54(54) (Ed is crap is PM)
    Last weeks BJESUS in brackets
    BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing) BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing)
    Using current polling adjusted for 57 days left to go factor and using UKPR standard swingometer
  • Options
    CD13

"The three girls going to Syria is a tragedy for their families but the excuse is they're only children. One is sixteen, the age which Ed thinks us suitable to be given the vote. Hmm ..."

We seem to have very different rules for boys and girls and when someone is an adult depending on the circumstance.

Three girls are national news and to be pitied for going to Syria three boys can expect very long jail terms.

Sixteen is so young it's the police's fault for not going round to their house to warn their parents that girls desperate to lose their virginity are heading to Syria and looking for the men in the black suits.

It's not their fault. They're only SIXTEEN. The Bulger killers were just TEN but apparently fully responsible for their actions.....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,189
    I am struggling to think of any business that would not suspend an employee accused of attacking another employee pending an investigation. It's not political correctness gone mad, it's what happens.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I am struggling to think of any business that would not suspend an employee accused of attacking another employee pending an investigation. It's not political correctness gone mad, it's what happens.

Happened at in my office last month - all sorted out behind closed doors to the satisfaction of all parties.

No unions in our office mind you.

Also we have to earn the money coming in - it is not forced from citizens whether they use the services or not.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425

Yes, that's so though stars tend to get more allowances made for them.

It will be interesting to hear the other guy's account of what happened.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557

Alistair said:

Imagine if the Tories win the election without a single Scottish MP. The democratic deficit of the people of Scotland being ruled by a regional party would be huge. An affront to the very notion of democracy © The English Press

Imagine the SNP are in government without a single English, Welsh or Irish MP. The democratic deficit of 92% of the people of the UK being ruled by a regional (8% UK) party would be huge.......
    How could 52 MP's be ruling the UK you stupid dumpling. The large party as per Tories now make all the decisions and their poodles the Libdems get a few crumbs thrown to keep them in place. You head is addled.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Indigo,

BBC always seemed a bad fit for Top Gear. A laddish programme on the most politically correct channel ever. I'm surprised it lasted so long.

Adrian Chiles, Christine Bleakley, Susanna Reid, Jonathan Ross, Parkinson, Des Lynam....All big stars who never seem to quite work out on ITV. I doubt Clarkson would buck the trend.

It would be an interesting one. This would allow for targeted advertising from a very lucrative source, so it would be unlike any of the other moves. On the other hand, the potential for pissing advertisers off would be huge. Imagine spending a shed load on placing an ad for your new car model only to have it slagged off on the show.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    His programme on the Arctic Convoys was mesmerising. Changed my opinion of the bloke.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    On the Clarkson question, is he technically actually employed by the Beeb?Didn't the Beeb operate a National Insurance avoidance scheme,for some of their best paid employees and for themselves as employer,where a 3rd party or agency is the actual employer or haven't the BBC dismantled its tax dodging ways?
    If he is an employee and has acted in the manner reported it is clearly gross misconduct.There may be mitigating factors eg his health but as a former employer it's a clear case of the bye byes to any employee whether they be prince or pauper.
    The BBC should have some bottle,do the right thing and dismiss him.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Mr. G, how do you see the Conservatives performing in Scotland?

Edited extra bit: Clarkson-related topics dominate the top 10 on Twitter right now [about half of them are on the subject].

MD , I reckon they will be lucky to be in the 0-2 range and personally the lower. However there may be an odd chance where the votes split and they get a chance but not likely other than in borders area. They are not popular and seen as London sock puppets.
    Hey I think Nicola's a sock puppet of Fatboy Slim and she's hugely unpopular in rural Warwickshire, but that's democracy innit ?
    Not as we know it Alan
  • Options

He is a big jessie so probably swung his handbag at him and missed
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Edited extra bit: Clarkson-related topics dominate the top 10 on Twitter right now [about half of them are on the subject].

MD , I reckon they will be lucky to be in the 0-2 range and personally the lower. However there may be an odd chance where the votes split and they get a chance but not likely other than in borders area. They are not popular and seen as London sock puppets.
    Hey I think Nicola's a sock puppet of Fatboy Slim and she's hugely unpopular in rural Warwickshire, but that's democracy innit ?
    Not as we know it Alan
    So you're saying the SNP shouldn't be allowed to participate in Westminster ?

Have you moved to Surrey ?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    "Adrian Chiles, Christine Bleakley, Susanna Reid, Jonathan Ross, Parkinson, Des Lynam....All big stars who never seem to quite work out on ITV. I doubt Clarkson would buck the trend."

Absolutely right. There is no more professional broadcaster in the world. From recruitment onwards. Nearly all the top media talent in this coutry has come through the BBC. Not only news but drama too too. Even Ridley Scott started at the BBC. ITV come nowhere near. They are the skip that picks up the BBC cast offs
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The BBC need to show a break with the Savile culture that allowed stars to do as they please. Principles aren't principles unless they cost you something from time to time.
  • Options

Mr. Nashe, 'aimed a punch' could also include a mocking deliberate swing-and-miss.

People don't have to prove their innocence, the case against them is what must be proved.

Mr. Owls, I suspect most people won't care. Prescott's punch did him no harm, and the vast majority of Top Gear watchers will be fully willing to give Clarkson the benefit of the doubt.

Mr. Indigo, Hogan-Howe is a king amongst cretins.

MD given only neanderthrals watch it I am sure that is why he is getting the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    Douglas Fraser ‏@BBCDouglasF 3m3 minutes ago

Scotland's tax vs revenue: deficit, excl capital spend, incl oil, is £9.8bn, 6.4% of gdp. UK equivalent is 4.1%. #gers

A lucky escape ..
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Happened at in my office last month - all sorted out behind closed doors to the satisfaction of all parties.

Also we have to earn the money coming in - it is not forced from citizens whether they use the services or not.

Really? A powerful, important employee physically attacked a less than powerful one and it was all sorted out behind closed doors and everyone was satisfied? I wonder if the person attacked really was happy with the outcome, or just said he/she was in order to keep their job. This is precisely what unions are for.
  • Options
    Who is Annie Power?
    Pulpstar said:

2) Jagger's poisoning.

• Options

CD13 said:

Indigo,

It would be an interesting one. This would allow for targeted advertising from a very lucrative source, so it would be unlike any of the other moves. On the other hand, the potential for pissing advertisers off would be huge. Imagine spending a shed load on placing an ad for your new car model only to have it slagged off on the show.

I think Jay Leno (potential replacement?) gave a similar reason for why the show would never work in America, i.e commercial pressures from advertisers harming the independence/impartiality of the show.

ITV would make a dog's dinner of any 'top gear' like show. Although I do remember him doing a pretty funny chat show years ago for the BBC. One bit that sticks out was a holiday show style report from Rotherham coming down a dirty industrial canal on a pedalo.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

TGOHF said:

Really? A powerful, important employee physically attacked a less than powerful one and it was all sorted out behind closed doors and everyone was satisfied? I wonder if the person attacked really was happy with the outcome, or just said he/she was in order to keep their job. This is precisely what unions are for.
    They are two grown men. The management managed - effectively.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

2) Jagger's poisoning.

Shows what a big issue the debates aren't - the public would rather have a Top Gear special.

Ed will go on Mirror Hacking - not.
    Leaders in reasonably priced cars?

But I cannot see the Stig getting on with Bennett. Some say he is a direct descendent of neanderthals and has a coal fired toaster...
  • Options
    SO You seem to be privy to all of the details.. please tell the rest of us...or OGH,s Lawyers.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Who is Annie Power?

Pulpstar said:

2) Jagger's poisoning.

She was the well fancied mare who fell at the last at Cheltenham yesterday saving the bookies £40 million. & No I didn't back her.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Not as we know it Alan
    So you're saying the SNP shouldn't be allowed to participate in Westminster ?

Have you moved to Surrey ?
    I wish Alan, only toffs and rich people there, no room for an ordinary peasant like me.

PS , apart from that it is full of oicks and roads are far too busy.
  • Options
    If anyone wants to hear a 'star' really behave badly this is Christian Bale after the cameraman walked infront of his eyeline during a rehearsal. (warning for those in a public place bad language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0auwpvAU2YA
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scotland's tax vs revenue: deficit, excl capital spend, incl oil, is £9.8bn, 6.4% of gdp. UK equivalent is 4.1%. #gers

A lucky escape ..

Did the people doing the numbers work at Ibrox previously Harry.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 3m3 minutes ago

Reports that Clarkson hit producer because he hadn't laid on dinner. Never knew that was producer's job. But now I do ... biff, whack, thump
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    As today seems to be one for mini-rants let me say what I think Russell Brand, Jeremy Clarkson, and Justin Bieber have in common: they'd be better employed hoeing turnips on Devil's Island for Alex Salmond's five-a-day.
    Back to the bunker.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

How could 52 MP's be ruling the UK you stupid dumpling. The large party as per Tories now make all the decisions and their poodles the Libdems get a few crumbs thrown to keep them in place. You head is addled.
    Lets say that there's a Tory English majority/plurality, but a Labour & SNP coalition/Supply and confidence ends up writing the English laws using a UK majority/plurality. Would that be acceptable to you?

Lets not forget Labour have form on this introducing Top Up Fees to England which was rejected by English-only MPs but Scottish MPs (knowing that there are no Scottish fees) forced it through.

That's the problem with Labour trying mess with the Constitution to their advantage. The West Lothian Question was always an issue, its just more obvious when its the SNP voting through English laws against an English opposition majority.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

A lucky escape ..

Did the people doing the numbers work at Ibrox previously Harry.
    Just quoting a BBC employee malc. The "previously" is a sweet word in your post :D
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

As a general guide when something is described as a stunt that shows pure desperation it gas been effective.
    The only reason she's being interviewed is because she is the wife of Ed Milliband. She's not a candidate. Why should that afford her the privilege of an interview that is not afforded to any other working woman, for instance? I know plenty of them. But because they have not slept with Ed and borne his children they are not being interviewed by the BBC.

The same applies to Miriam Clegg and Samantha Cameron and Mrs Farage.

I don't care about it being a stunt. I care about the fact that some people seem to get airtime simply because of some unmerited status unrelated to their abilities or contributions. Ms Thornton's views on the law might be interesting as would those of other female lawyers. But let's face it that's not the reason she was chosen, was it.

• Options
    I had no idea who Mr Bale was until I saw that at the time - he's a twonk. I think the funniest rant is from Giles Coren about his sub editor changing a word in his article. He goes full mental at him.

It's very funny. telegraph.co.uk/news/2460188/Giles-Corens-email-rant-in-full.html
    Roger said:

If anyone wants to hear a 'star' really behave badly this is Christian Bale after the cameraman walked infront of his eyeline during a rehearsal. (warning for those in a public place bad language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0auwpvAU2YA

• Options
    edited March 2015

TGOHF said:

Christ on a bike.

He isn't accused of hitting the tea lady, the gentleman in questions is the producer for f*cks sakes, and has been on the show for 10 years. I know it suits you to portray everyone as a victim in need of help by the unions, but seriously! I don't know what happened, you don't know what happened, maybe we should wait an find out ?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

antifrank said:

Also, if the Lib Dems have conducted 120 polls, they have more than one in each constituency, so why haven't we seen the other polls from Hornsey and Wood Green? The answer is pretty obvious.

Quite simply they don't want to indicate anything to the Tories or Labour.

In that case why make any of them public?
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, a very good point on gender.

Mr. G, I watch Top Gear.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,142

Alistair said:

Oh, so 92% of the MPs are abstaining SF-style? That's really revolutionary news. You ought to flag it up.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,406

Without defending Clarkson, actually it happens all the time. Most normally in industry and work involving manual labour - building, roadwork, factory work etc. Having worked on the fringes of most of these industries and businesses all my life I was amazed at how commonly differences are sorted by a punch up. It is like something out of the 1970s but seems to have changed little since then. The only deal seems to be make sure injuries are not severe enough to get police involved.

Not in any way defending it, just pointing out it is far more common than people think.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Christ on a bike.

He isn't accused of hitting the tea lady, the gentleman in questions is the producer for f*cks sakes, and has been on the show for 10 years. I know it suits you to portray everyone as a victim in need of help by the unions, but seriously! I don't know what happened, you don't know what happened, maybe we should wait an find out ?
    Most companies couldn't afford to suspend revenues for a couple of weeks over a handbags tiff.

The BBC can - as their income is assured by legal threat.
  • Options

Without defending Clarkson, actually it happens all the time. Most normally in industry and work involving manual labour - building, roadwork, factory work etc. Having worked on the fringes of most of these industries and businesses all my life I was amazed at how commonly differences are sorted by a punch up. It is like something out of the 1970s but seems to have changed little since then. The only deal seems to be make sure injuries are not severe enough to get police involved.

Not in any way defending it, just pointing out it is far more common than people think.
    I'd go with that, punch ups in factories are not isolated incidences.
  • Options
    During my long time at the BBC and ITV I have witnessed a number of Producers being hit,in some cases with justification,by leading actors to a disgruntled crew members...no one was ever sacked
    It is part of the contract with both companies that anyone who physically attacks another employee is instantly fired.
    Best to see what actually happened.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

They are two grown men. The management managed - effectively.
    They sound it. Bet their wives clean behind the fridge.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Christ on a bike.

You mean let the absolutely crystal clear, explicitly defined, BBC disciplinary process take its course? I could not agree more. I am all for that and systems that do make even the most powerful of people accountable for their actions, rather than being able to do as they please and then sorting things out behind closed doors.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    I reckon I must be the only person in the UK not the slightest bit interested in the Jeremy Clarkson story. To me a car is something to get me from A to B. I cannot identify most models of cars from one another and the thought of several middle aged men screaming round a race track to see how far they can go without blowing up the vehicle engine seems pointless. The maximum speed limit on any public road in the UK is 70mph so who cares whether a particular vehicle can go from 0 to 120 in 3.6 seconds or not!

If Clarkson did assault someone in an unprovoked attack then he deserves to have his contract terminated. It would not be tolerated in any other organisation.

Meanwhile back at the political ranch, which senior Labour figures were running Lambeth Council 25 years ago when the alleged child abuse in the basement was taking place?
  • Options
    Very good article indeed. I do agree that I find myself wishing the left had more of the beliefs of 'Spiked' rather than the apparently homogenizing ideas that seem to dominate at the moment.
  • Options
    Clarkson salience could be good for the Conservatives (& possibly UKIP) - could be a "Fire up the Quattro" moment.
  • Options

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Christ on a bike.

You mean let the absolutely crystal clear, explicitly defined, BBC disciplinary process take its course? I could not agree more. I am all for that and systems that do make even the most powerful of people accountable for their actions, rather than being able to do as they please and then sorting things out behind closed doors.

Why suspend the programme in the meantime ? Most businesses could not afford to do this. The BBC can because it isn't accountable.
  • Options
    Shortlist of three for Rifkind's old seat:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31826540

Not sure if I want Charlotte Vere to get it, given one of the main characters in my WIP (hopefully out this year) is called Charlotte de Vere.
  • Options

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Christ on a bike.

Funny how that BBC disciplinary process has been so lacking with regard to the child abuse investigations.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Patrick said:

It shows weakness. Imagine Putin or any other leader wheeling out their wives or mummies to fight their corner for them.
    Some leaders' wives may be of passing electoral benefit to their husbands - depending on how MILFy they are. (PC lefties can avert their gaze now). I'd gently suggest that Cherie and Justine add precisely nothing to their men's allure whereas Samantha and Miriam are a bit phwoar and at least don't detract. As someone once quipped of Clinton: 'At least we can know he is sexually competent'. !!!
    Personally I feel that I know more about Cherie's sex life than is decent.

However, in the case of Sam, Miriam and Justine and even Sarah Brown, the question for me is why they settled for such mediocre looking and behaving men when they could have done so much better for themselves.

• Options

Very good article indeed. I do agree that I find myself wishing the left had more of the beliefs of 'Spiked' rather than the apparently homogenizing ideas that seem to dominate at the moment.

There are plenty of views on the left, but it suits many on the right and the left to pretend that there are not. I find it very frustrating. I guess a similar kind of thing happens on the right - many's the time I have read on here, for example, that there is no difference between Cameron and Miliband: they are both metropolitan lefties.
  • Options
    On topic whilst no doubt naming the candidate does have an impact I think its important to note that the Ashcroft polling involved 3 times as any people in the sample. As the blurb in the Libdem poll points out the margin of error on the Libdem poll (table 9) is +/-5.4%.

The other thing to note is that the Libdems use their own weighting system and how this might affect the polling I have no idea.

http://www.markpack.org.uk/files/2015/03/Hornsey-Wood-Green-Lib-Dem-poll.pdf
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Christ on a bike.

Funny how that BBC disciplinary process has been so lacking with regard to the child abuse investigations.
    Don't be ridiculous, Richard.

None of the children were BBC employees. If they had been it would have been fully investigated.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Christ on a bike.

None of the children were BBC employees. If they had been it would have been fully investigated.
    Perhaps all children visiting the BBC should get union membership - keeps everyone happy.
  • Options

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Christ on a bike.

In what way?

• Options

I suspect the problem here is what I call the "discussions with a three year old syndrome".

If I tell my (now four year old) son "if you do that again, I'm taking it away", and he does it again... then I have to take it away, whether I like it or not. My authority is on the line.

In this case, I suspect that the complaint will be withdrawn, and the internal investigation will find a lack of evidence to continue.

Either that or Clarkson, Hammond and May announce they are going to Sky.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Cyclefree said:

Patrick said:

It shows weakness. Imagine Putin or any other leader wheeling out their wives or mummies to fight their corner for them.
    Some leaders' wives may be of passing electoral benefit to their husbands - depending on how MILFy they are. (PC lefties can avert their gaze now). I'd gently suggest that Cherie and Justine add precisely nothing to their men's allure whereas Samantha and Miriam are a bit phwoar and at least don't detract. As someone once quipped of Clinton: 'At least we can know he is sexually competent'. !!!
    Personally I feel that I know more about Cherie's sex life than is decent.

However, in the case of Sam, Miriam and Justine and even Sarah Brown, the question for me is why they settled for such mediocre looking and behaving men when they could have done so much better for themselves.

Well said. Comment of the day.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Christ on a bike.

It is certainly outrageous that such disciplinary procedures did not exist at the BBC and elsewhere, or that they were not implemented. But that is rather the point, isn't it? They need to exist and they need to be followed.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Christ on a bike.

Perhaps all children visiting the BBC should get union membership - keeps everyone happy.
    I visited BBC TV Centre in Wood Lane aged about seven with my dad. And while my memory may be faulty I think we saw Jimmy Saville getting into a lift. I don't remember my father (and BBC employee at the time) saying "don't get into the lift with that child molester." So, I wonder how far the rumours had spread.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    Fighting talk from Gerald Warner:

When Our Army May be Cut to 50,000, The Smell of Treason is Becoming Offensive

.........For centuries traitors were hanged, drawn and quartered at Tyburn who had done less material damage to this country than politicians today. Undermining the defence of the realm is treason. The stench of it is emanating from every aperture in the Palace of Westminster.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/03/11/when-our-army-may-be-cut-to-50000-the-smell-of-treason-is-becoming-offensive/
  • Options

If Clarkson did assault someone in an unprovoked attack then he deserves to have his contract terminated. It would not be tolerated in any other organisation.

While true, its not going to be much of a deterrent when any number of television and other content companies are quite prepared to offer him a lot of money to come and work for them.

"Fired from the BBC, damn, guess I will have to force myself to take that £10m from ITV then"

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    edited March 2015
    TGOHF said:
    Again, other than the odd person in the media, can't journo used google. Took me 2 mins to find info out this guy, which I noted yesterday, without any of the contacts and resources most papers have to look into individuals.

And all this BS about the letter.....The police and school at that stage had no reason to think that these girls were thinking of running off, I mean the parents say they were totally normal teenagers and no signs of being radicalized, so why would you not think that giving them a letter saying could you get your parents permission (which they have to) so we can just ask you about your friend so we can help find her would be an issue.

This lawyer actually claimed that this letter might have triggered them going, which is like me saying I got a letter from the plod saying somebody has been speeding in my car, can you confirm who was driving and it was my other half, so that caused me to go out and drive up and down the motorway at 150mph.
  • Options
    Clarkson petition at 261, 000 now!

..and some quite funny and very realxed tweets from his co-presenters and his daughter:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11463383/Jeremy-Clarkson-suspended-after-punching-Top-Gear-producer-in-row-over-catering.html
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    "Guardian" reporting, in one of a series of constituency articles, from Finchley that the seat, maj 5,800, appears a comfortable Con HOLD with the mansion tax playing a part :

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/11/finchley-wealth-tory-1980s
  • Options

A punch-up is a fight and is, essentially, a mutual decision. An attack is very different. I guess that's why the disciplinary process has kicked in - what happened has to be determined. There is nothing PC gone mad here; it's all perfectly normal. The only difference being that Clarkson is extremely high profile.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    edited March 2015
    Gadfly said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 3m3 minutes ago

Reports that Clarkson hit producer because he hadn't laid on dinner. Never knew that was producer's job. But now I do ... biff, whack, thump

LOL....IMO there has to be more to this story than that, that or Clarkson is the biggest diva out there.

I am super critical of the BBC, but in this case, regardless if it was because Jezza hadn't got his pasty or something more serious, you can't go around hitting your co-workers, end of.
This discussion has been closed.