Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Antifrank guest slot: How the monarchy might suffer in the

Comments

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Bloody Hell whats caused the Footsie to plummet 173 pts ?

Must be the bookies' share prices ;-)
    Lol The bookies would have taken the most almighty hit if Annie Power hadn't jumped at the final fence's shadow.
    It was pretty bad as it was!
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Scott_P said:

Just wondering, has Sam Cam or Miriam González Durántez ever done a big sit down with BBC or Sky etc?

AFAIK, they seem to keep themselves to themselves and just get on with their own careers, despite constant and often really nasty abuse been thrown at their husbands and their family.

Wheeling out the wives does seem to be a fairly good indicator of a campaign in terminal decline.
    Oh dear. Trundling out the family, to shore up support. Tim must be going nuts on Twitter.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    Mr. Urquhart, that's correct. The BBC bought, I think, the firm that made Top Gear, giving a big payday to Clarkson et al.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Keeping up with the Milibands. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31820175

An every day saga of Dartmouth Park folk.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054
    stodge said:

Pulpstar said:

Someone lost 26k of winnings due to Annie's fall at the last. Check twitter !

Not me and hopefully not Peter. I've already seen a figure of £150 million quoted as to hoe much the bookies were saved on having to pay out on Mullins accumulators.

ANNIE POWER didn't carry my money though I thought she would win. I made my cash on THE DRUID'S NEPHEW which covered opposing UN DE SCEAUX who I thought wouldn't get round.

Unfortuately some twerp has stuck me for a 3pm meeting in Lewes tomorrow which means I won't be able to see the Champion Chase. I had wanted the meeting yesterday morning so I could nip down to Plumpton for an afternoon's sport.

Annie chinned me for a tenner or so last year so I didn't bother with her again. Internet was down whilst all the drama was going on too.

New One (Antepost a long while back @ 6s)/Jezki not placing means unfortunately I'm down £19 on the day but nevermind ;p
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Clarkson suspended after an argument with a producer:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

According to Twitter, there will be no Top Gear on Sunday as a result.

Was on last warning...Big decision for the BBC, do they sack their massive cash cow?
    New on ITV "Power with Jeremy Clarkson".
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Just wondering, has Sam Cam or Miriam González Durántez ever done a big sit down with BBC or Sky etc?

AFAIK, they seem to keep themselves to themselves and just get on with their own careers, despite constant and often really nasty abuse been thrown at their husbands and their family.

I don't believe either have, - and I'm slightly amused as to why the BBC has decided now, to give a politicians wife such unparalleled media access?
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Why is it so remote?

The Tories are going to hand over seats to Labour due to the UKIP surge, lose a handful to the purples themselves, and you know the SNP ain't gonna do anything like as well as the polls suggest. The LDs will lose seats to the Tories, but not that many.

The polls are better for the Tories, but still disastrous to hopes of remaining in power whilst UKIP polls so high.

It's the electoral system that will put Ed in power, not his charisma or recognised leadership star potential.

I'm feel you should urgently seek the advice of your physician as it's clear your brain has become badly addled by sustained absence from the portals of PB.

You need to closely analyse my ARSE, inwardly digest and repent of your wayward behaviour. We at PB central will welcome you back into the bosom of our fraternity in the fullness of time as and when this nasty affliction subsides on the 8th May.

@bob_sykes clearly does not live in Scotland if he doubts the SLAB clash and SNP surge. I have not come across a labour voter canvassing in Edinburgh East despite it being a notionally safe Labour seat. This is EDINBURGH- an area which voted comfortably NO.
    Anyone who claims that they canvassed an area and not come across a single opposition voter is either telling porkies or a bloody awful canvasser . We remember for example Rik Willis saying on here he had not found a single Lib Dem voter shortly before he was defeated by them in Sutton and Cheam in 2005
    Bad choice of words. People have told me they're CERTAINLY going to vote SNP and even CON. But I haven't come across anyone who is CERTAINLY voting Labour (or even mentioned) Labour I persume the one's who insist they are 'undecided' are the likely Labour voters.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited March 2015

Scott_P said:

Wheeling out the wives does seem to be a fairly good indicator of a campaign in terminal decline.
    Oh dear. Trundling out the family, to shore up support. Tim must be going nuts on Twitter.
    Too busy blabbering on about Cameron using his kids (including Ivan) as props [as usual]...oh wait...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    dr_spyn said:

With a rebrand...

@jessicaelgot: Wondering if Justine Thornton being called ‘Miliband’ in BBC interview is slip-up, a change on her part, or just SEO? http://t.co/M0utGhCrSd
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

Mr. Sykes, why would any copycat show vanish?

You just said, and I agree, it's Clarkson + Wilman [I'd add the other presenters too]. There's nothing magical about the BBC.

Through BBC2 free to air broadcast and iPlayer, Top Gear gets something like 9m viewers a show, probably more. Plus the re-runs on Dave, partly owned by the BBC. It's one of the biggest shows on telly.

Move it to Sky, and like anything else on Sky, it will have an audience of about 1m tops, probably less over the long term, and no iPlayer. The heart will go out of the production team and presenting talent, like a theatrical company playing to an almost empty house night after night.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, because in a few weeks the electoral impartiality rules kick in? ;)
  • Options

I don't believe either have, - and I'm slightly amused as to why the BBC has decided now, to give a politicians wife such unparalleled media access?
    What are you possibly saying?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @SimonStClare
    Try reading the article, or watch the video?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31820175
    (text is fairly short)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Scott_P said:

dr_spyn said:

With a rebrand...

@jessicaelgot: Wondering if Justine Thornton being called ‘Miliband’ in BBC interview is slip-up, a change on her part, or just SEO? http://t.co/M0utGhCrSd
    That is a bit odd. Is it just a mistake by the BBC? I mean how many times have they called Ed, David, over the past 4 years?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Flashback: September - Justine Thornton becomes Justine Miliband for election campaign. http://t.co/4Fksa0myFd
  • Options
    Mr. Sykes, they'd have to make do with the 300 million plus overseas viewers. I think they'd survive.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@SimonStClare
    Try reading the article, or watch the video?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31820175
    (text is fairly short)

Using the children as props in a photo too? Tut Tut.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,327

You just said, and I agree, it's Clarkson + Wilman [I'd add the other presenters too]. There's nothing magical about the BBC.

Through BBC2 free to air broadcast and iPlayer, Top Gear gets something like 9m viewers a show, probably more. Plus the re-runs on Dave, partly owned by the BBC. It's one of the biggest shows on telly.

Move it to Sky, and like anything else on Sky, it will have an audience of about 1m tops, probably less over the long term, and no iPlayer. The heart will go out of the production team and presenting talent, like a theatrical company playing to an almost empty house night after night.
    More importantly IMHO, Top Gear must cost an absolute arm and a leg to make. Even setting aside the presenters' salaries, there is oodles of dosh wrapped up in each one. The BBC's big enough to handle it; would other TV companies want the risk? Still, it's preferable to them spending money on yet more effing football.

And if they make it cheaper, the audience might well notice (ref. Scrapheap Challenge).
  • Options
    @TheWatcher
    You know? I honestly never noticed, I was to busy listening to the interview, and looking for "tells" when she spoke.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

More importantly IMHO, Top Gear must cost an absolute arm and a leg to make. Even setting aside the presenters' salaries, there is oodles of dosh wrapped up in each one. The BBC's big enough to handle it; would other TV companies want the risk? Still, it's preferable to them spending money on yet more effing football.

And if they make it cheaper, the audience might well notice (ref. Scrapheap Challenge).
    Salaries aside, it's notorious for being made on a shoestring. Portacabins and a hangar on an old BAE airfield in rural Surrey cost f'all.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Since there will be very little prospect of anyone outside the Conservative party having any chance of forming a government, and the incumbent PM is in the Conservative party, the Queen will actually not need to do anything. If Cameron chooses not to resign (most likely) then the Queen has no decision to make, and if that turns out to be the wrong decision it reflects on Cameron politically, not on the Queen or constitution.

If Cameron does resign, presumably he will only do so if it is absolutely clear the Conservatives cannot govern, in which case it won't be remotely controversial for the Queen to ask Miliband whether he can form a government.

What would you advise people who followed your SPIN recommendations on the SNP to do now, hold out or cash out for a loss ?
    Apologies for that. Can't remember now what I recommended to sell them at, and am not sure where they are pricing now. But for what it's worth I now expect them to get in the region of 40 seats.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheWatcher
    You know? I honestly never noticed, I was to busy listening to the interview, and looking for "tells" when she spoke.

You must have missed the large family photo slap bang in the middle of the article to which you linked.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

JackW said:

JackW said:

Why is it so remote?

The Tories are going to hand over seats to Labour due to the UKIP surge, lose a handful to the purples themselves, and you know the SNP ain't gonna do anything like as well as the polls suggest. The LDs will lose seats to the Tories, but not that many.

The polls are better for the Tories, but still disastrous to hopes of remaining in power whilst UKIP polls so high.

It's the electoral system that will put Ed in power, not his charisma or recognised leadership star potential.

I'm feel you should urgently seek the advice of your physician as it's clear your brain has become badly addled by sustained absence from the portals of PB.

You need to closely analyse my ARSE, inwardly digest and repent of your wayward behaviour. We at PB central will welcome you back into the bosom of our fraternity in the fullness of time as and when this nasty affliction subsides on the 8th May.

@bob_sykes clearly does not live in Scotland if he doubts the SLAB clash and SNP surge. I have not come across a labour voter canvassing in Edinburgh East despite it being a notionally safe Labour seat. This is EDINBURGH- an area which voted comfortably NO.
    Edinburgh might have voted comfortably NO but Edinburgh East voted 48% Yes.

SMAPSing that gives the SNP a 6 point lead.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

It's made on a shoestring.
    I believe it is £500k an episode, and since the change of arrangements there has been a big cut in the budget....wasn't that a gag they ran on the series after the budget cut, that they couldn't afford to do stuff while doing some over the top stuff.

But until the change of arrangement, the likes of Clarkson's pay was all wrapped up in flogging the rights etc.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,327

Salaries aside, it's notorious for being made on a shoestring. Portacabins and a hangar on an old BAE airfield in rural Surrey cost f'all.
    Yes to those (although f'all's going a bit far, but flying around the world to do some of their stunts wouldn't be cheap, and neither would the insurance.

But I bow to better knowledge.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Why is it so remote?

Edinburgh might have voted comfortably NO but Edinburgh East voted 48% Yes.

SMAPSing that gives the SNP a 6 point lead.
    Only 6 points :O ?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Why is it so remote?

Anyone who claims that they canvassed an area and not come across a single opposition voter is either telling porkies or a bloody awful canvasser . We remember for example Rik Willis saying on here he had not found a single Lib Dem voter shortly before he was defeated by them in Sutton and Cheam in 2005
    SNP probably ahead by ~ 20 points in Edinburgh East at the least.

SNP 49
    Lab 27
    Con 8
    Green 7
    LD 5

Something like that.

Also both the SNP and the SLAB are his opposition...
    SMAPS has

SNP 39
    Lab 33
    Con 10
    Green 10
    LD 7

I suspect the Green figure will be lower due to tactical voting.

EDIT: That's on national vote shares of

SNP 44.0
    Lab 29.7
    Con 16.3
    Green 1.75
    LD 6.8
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Why is it so remote?

SNP 49
    Lab 27
    Con 8
    Green 7
    LD 5

Something like that.

SMAPS has

SNP 39
    Lab 33
    Con 10
    Green 10
    LD 7

I'll send you my Scottish book when I've totalised it all up to check against SMAPS :P

I'd be pretty stunned if Edi East is +9 pts better for Labour than the national average
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Why is it so remote?

SNP 49
    Lab 27
    Con 8
    Green 7
    LD 5

Something like that.

SMAPS has

SNP 39
    Lab 33
    Con 10
    Green 10
    LD 7

I'll send you my Scottish book when I've totalised it all up to check against SMAPS :P
    You can see it here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NKEIQU2XLtS1xEjnDh15ylV1oD2RJxWwe_99tN85eE/edit?usp=sharing

I'm improving the script that generates it to allow you to specify National Vote shares and then I'll put it online so you can generate your own SMAPS.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Bloody Hell whats caused the Footsie to plummet 173 pts ?

Must be the bookies' share prices ;-)
    World oil glut
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

I doubt that it would only be Sky in the running. Given how widely pirated Top Gear is it (or a new show starring the three of them) has a lot of attraction for a service like Netflix or Amazon.
  • Options
    glw said:

I doubt that it would only be Sky in the running. Given how widely pirated Top Gear is it (or a new show starring the three of them) has a lot of attraction for a service like Netflix or Amazon.
    Netflix has bought a few shows back to life in the US that had been cancelled by the major networks, but then in the US it is more common that a show will move channels.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Anyone published the Survation constituency poll in Hornsey/Wood Green

Lab 37 LD 36 Con 15 Green 7 UKIP 4 Others 1
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266
    Pulpstar said:

Someone lost 26k of winnings due to Annie's fall at the last. Check twitter !

Cost me a nice treble
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267

TGOHF said:

Looks like Labour have given up on the GE

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 1m1 minute ago
    Ed Miliband's wife Justine has complained about the "really vicious, personal" attacks on him in an interview with the BBC.

Oh dear, this sort of chatter never goes down well. - If Ed can’t control his own MPs from sniping at him from the side-lines, or is thin skinned enough to worry about what the papers say, he really shouldn’t be in politics or get the wife involved.
    Were they as "really vicious, personal" as the attacks launched by Brown and his office against Samantha Cameron and Frances Osborne, about which neither woman has commented despite being, I imagine - especially having some idea of what the attacks were - hurt by them?

She's not standing for election. She should butt out. If EdM doesn't have the requisite thick skin to be in politics he should get out of the game, particularly since his party has behaved pretty unpleasantly when it comes to personal attacks on others.
  • Options
    @TheWatcher
    "You must have missed the large family photo slap bang in the middle of the article to which you linked. "

I only watched the movie, I had heard the book was crap.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Its about time that the BBC learned how to manage its stars, Clarkson makes the BBC zillions.. without him, Top Gear is nothing, and the BBC ought to know it.

Unless Clarkson has punched the guys/gals lights out who cares about a fracas or rude words or whatever.
  • Options
    @SquareRoot
    Are you one of those that thinks the player should be bigger than the club?
  • Options
    Maybe Clarkson was being told he was being sent on another diversity re-education, i mean training course? :-)

http://partsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Smallest-Car-in-the-World_3.jpg
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    » show previous quotes
    With a rebrand...

That is a bit odd. Is it just a mistake by the BBC? I mean how many times have they called Ed, David, over the past 4 years?

- Just seen the Miliband kids -did the BBC clear the park of ordinary people so the power couple could stride towards the new socialist dawn? Kids as props, props - its not about Ed its about so decency and principle. Balls.

Ed using his school as a prop.
  • Options
    @Alistair

SMAPS suggests that Willie Bain and Charlie Kennedy are quite well thought of - particularly Willie Bain.

Also possibly that Alistair Darling had a decent personal vote in Edi SW, which is now gone !
    Amazingly it predicts Kirkcaldy spot on, though the disparity with Glasgow NE is interesting and suggests incumbency at some level is stopping the Scottish Labour collapse heading sub 20 or some such.
  • Options
    Got some (Argyll & Bute) propaganda today:

1) from HM Government: a weird leaflet presumably designed to make me think the new powers being given to the Scottish government are simultaneously extensive and reasonable (presumably designed to imply I don't need to vote snp).

No change in strategy there then.

2) 'Publication males it official - Conservatives can't win in Scotland.....The SNP's independence obsession is costing Scottish healthcare.......Only the Liberal Democrats can stop the SNP and fix our NHS'

'In large parts of Scotland it's a two-horse race between the lib Dems and the SNP. The Conservatives can't win.'

fwiw 2) features an odd photo of Cameron with his hand over his mouth which makes him look strangely like Clegg (or the GP who has a column in the local free monthly magazine).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266
    Pulpstar said:

@Alistair

SMAPS suggests that Willie Bain and Charlie Kennedy are quite well thought of - particularly Willie Bain.

Also possibly that Alistair Darling had a decent personal vote in Edi SW, which is now gone !
    Amazingly it predicts Kirkcaldy spot on, though the disparity with Glasgow NE is interesting and suggests incumbency at some level is stopping the Scottish Labour collapse heading sub 20 or some such.

Bain is a dumpling as well , must be some real dumb voters in that constituency.
  • Options
    There is a disconnect about Miliband and his kids.. Over at "Tim I am bonkers." twitter feed. He's been giving it to Dave for "using" his kids..
  • Options

Got some (Argyll & Bute) propaganda today:

1) from HM Government: a weird leaflet presumably designed to make me think the new powers being given to the Scottish government are simultaneously extensive and reasonable (presumably designed to imply I don't need to vote snp).

2) 'Publication males it official - Conservatives can't win in Scotland.....The SNP's independence obsession is costing Scottish healthcare.......Only the Liberal Democrats can stop the SNP and fix our NHS'

'In large parts of Scotland it's a two-horse race between the lib Dems and the SNP. The Conservatives can't win.'

fwiw 2) features an odd photo of Cameron with his hand over his mouth which makes him look strangely like Clegg (or the GP who has a column in the local free monthly magazine).

Argyll and Bute looks like a one horse race to me.
  • Options
    @Cyclefree
    She only said she thought that some of the attacks were cruel and vicious ( when questioned)
    And that they would probably get worse as time went on.
    Somehow, out of that we get "wifegate" and the end of democracy.
  • Options
    When was the last time a party got over half the vote?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Smarmeron said:

@Cyclefree
    She only said she thought that some of the attacks were cruel and vicious ( when questioned)

Of course when ED attacks Dave viciously in the House of Commons (which Dave really didn't like), that's ok then..

His wife screaming that people are nasty to Ed makes him look a wimp.
  • Options
    @Alistair Banff and Buchan projection is very interesting...

I don't believe it somehow though :)
  • Options
    @SquareRoot
    Did she scream? or did you just fantasise that she did in your imagination?

I mean hyperbole is expected here, but cool your burners rocket man?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@SquareRoot

she scweamed and scweamed until she wath thick.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653

Tories got 50% in 1955, though this was 49.7% rounded up
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    dr_spyn said:

Smarmeron said:

@SquareRoot

she scweamed and scweamed until she wath thick.

No thats just Ed that does that.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@SquareRoot

Fair point.. of course she didn't scream, but she was on there for one thing.. to try and turn attacks on Ed to Labour's benefit...
  • Options
    Mr Dancer
    In 1931 Tories got 55% of the vote, so that may be the one you're after.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Cyclefree

What attacks are we talking about here? Because I'm struggling to think of any that aren't the normal EdM isn't up to being PM type and he can look a bit odd in some photos and, frankly, quite a lot of those come from Labour MPs.

• Options

• Options
    If SMAPS was to be right it would be fascinating, SNP losing Perth and North Perthshire/Banff whilst sweeping pretty much the rest of Scotland.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Mr. Gift, blimey, I thought it might've been in the fifties. Thanks.

Edited extra bit: thanks Dr. Prasannan as well :)
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

I don't really see there being much risk associated with it. It's a proven success on both sides of the Atlantic with both a broad viewing audience and a subset of cult fans. Jeremy Clarkson has never been my cup of tea, but if I owned a big media company I would jump at the chance to print money.
  • Options

50% in 1955, albeit 49.7 rounded up.
  • Options
    @SquareRoot
    " to try and turn attacks on Ed to Labour's benefit..."

Can't argue with you there.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Trying to find any remaining value in the Scottish constituency markets, conclusion I've reached is that no seat is safe from the SNP. A good example is Orkney & Shetland where Carmichael clearly has a fight on his hands. He is an Edinburgh lawyer in-comer, the SNP have selected a retired high school teacher who probably taught 75% of the electorate and knows the rest as parents, UKIP have selected a local fisherman:

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/10267-ukip-to-field-robert-smith-again

The UKIP candidate secured 7% in 2010 and will surely do much better this time around. As far as I can tell SLAB and the Tories are yet to select candidates, they will no doubt be selecting locals as well. I think Carmichael is toast - the SNP at 4/1 might be a value bet.
  • Options

Mr Dancer
    In 1931 Tories got 55% of the vote, so that may be the one you're after.

Yet still there was a Labour PM - fascinating !
  • Options
    I really do think that - unless they are in the political game themselves - spouses should stay out of politics. Cherie did not do Tony any favours. Mrs Clegg seems feisty enough though I do wonder why the hell she settled for Nick. Sam C has had to endure more than any wife/mother should have to endure and should be off limits. Sarah Brown introducing her messy hero husband was just embarrassing. The best thing about Denis Thatcher was that he stayed quiet and loyal, even though his wife probably faced some of the most vicious attacks ever and real personal danger.
  • Options

The Tories were just shy in 1955 and 1959. Both times were over 49%. All the election winners from 1945 to 59 polled over 45%.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, really?!

That's fascinating.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,193
    calum said:

Trying to find any remaining value in the Scottish constituency markets, conclusion I've reached is that no seat is safe from the SNP. A good example is Orkney & Shetland where Carmichael clearly has a fight on his hands. He is an Edinburgh lawyer in-comer, the SNP have selected a retired high school teacher who probably taught 75% of the electorate and knows the rest as parents, UKIP have selected a local fisherman:

The UKIP candidate secured 7% in 2010 and will surely do much better this time around. As far as I can tell SLAB and the Tories are yet to select candidates, they will no doubt be selecting locals as well. I think Carmichael is toast - the SNP at 4/1 might be a value bet.

The SNP candidate call for UK Gmt action on the oil and gas industry crisis would also have considerable traction, I would have thought. It's a pretty much across the board feeling in the ndustry from the impression I get in the papers. A LD member of the Coalition is going to be vulnerable if nothing, or too little, is seen to be done.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Alistair Banff and Buchan projection is very interesting...

I don't believe it somehow though :)

All the existing SNP seats are interesting in SMAPS. Before adjusting for Lib Dem annihilation the Yes vote basically corresponds 1 to 1 with the 2010 SNP vote.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036
    Any polls due, apart from the gold/whores drawers (delete as appropriate) standard YouGov?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The Top Gear host has been suspended from the BBC after allegedly aiming a punch at a male producer in an incident last week.

The three remaining episodes of Top Gear have been pulled from the schedules after Jeremy Clarkson was accused of punching a producer.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-10/top-gear-series-postponed-after-jeremy-clarkson-punches-producer
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If SMAPS was to be right it would be fascinating, SNP losing Perth and North Perthshire/Banff whilst sweeping pretty much the rest of Scotland.

The M in SMAPS does stand for "Moron" after all.
  • Options
    Trying to speak to someone at the Inland Revenue

Call 1 26 minutes had to hang us as I had to get back to work...
    Call 2 last night 5 mins of listening to crap then told no one could speak to me.. bye..
    Call 3 tonight 44 mins and waiting....
  • Options

The Top Gear host has been suspended from the BBC after allegedly aiming a punch at a male producer in an incident last week.

The three remaining episodes of Top Gear have been pulled from the schedules after Jeremy Clarkson was accused of punching a producer.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-10/top-gear-series-postponed-after-jeremy-clarkson-punches-producer

So he didn't punch anyone then...
  • Options
    calum said:

Hahaha
  • Options
    I think Orkney and Shetland is a Lib Dem hold, but I'd be pleased to see Carmichael lose it since he's cost PBers cash on a few markets.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Call 2 last night 5 mins of listening to crap then told no one could speak to me.. bye..

I did the same last week, over half an hour before I gave up
  • Options

My best one was waiting on hold for 45 minutes, explaining that I had previously called the student loans company and asking explicitly to speak someone at the student loans group within HMRC. I was then transferred by the agent to the student loans company which had shut for the day. I was apoplectic after that.
  • Options
    @nigel4england
    Do they charge you for the waiting time like they do for those on Universal Credit?
  • Options
    A worthwhile exploration of the business pros and cons of UK withdrawal from the EU:

We can survive a Brexit, but banks would take a hit

The economic risks of a leaving the EU are both slighter and more nuanced than Gordon Brown with his 'North Korea' claims will admit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11462085/We-can-survive-a-Brexit-but-banks-would-take-a-hit.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    edited March 2015
    calum said:

Against that:

1. The LibDems kept exactly two constituency seats in the Scottish parliament last time: Orkney, and Shetland.
    2. Orkney & Shetland had one of the lowest "Yes" votes in Scotland.
    3. Alistair Carmichael clearly has established a personal vote as his share has gone from 41.3% in 2001 to 62% in 2010. That's a full 10% more than (local boy) Jim Wallace ever got.

I'd need 6 or 8-1 to tempt me to bet on the SNP here.

Now, the rest of the Scottish LibDems for that matter...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,959
    (Just For Fun)

YouGov prediction

Con Lead 3%.
  • Options
    More news from the so-called Islamic Human Rights Commission:-

- Theresa May is Islamophobe of the year
    - Maajid Nawaz is UK Islamophobe of the year.

And I wonder if Sadiq Khan will come to regret speaking at an event organised in Parliament by Cage in June 2012 in favour of Babar Ahmed, later sentenced in the UK to 12 years in prison for terrorist offences.

Apparently Khan has his own Labour campaigh for human rights, funded to the tune of £5000 by the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust, another branch of the same Joseph Rowntree trust which has funded Cage and which has been shamed/pressured into stopping.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

And I wonder if Sadiq Khan will come to regret speaking at an event organised in Parliament by Cage in June 2012 in favour of Babar Ahmed, later sentenced in the UK to 12 years in prison for terrorist offences.

Apparently Khan has his own Labour campaigh for human rights, funded to the tune of £5000 by the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust, another branch of the same Joseph Rowntree trust which has funded Cage and which has been shamed/pressured into stopping.

Has Sadiq worked out if he is friends with Ahmed or not? And how long they have known each other? He seems to get in a mess when asked about this.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

So May is the World Islamaphobe of the year? Naively, I would have thought there would be better contenders in Israel...!
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

calum said:

Hahaha
    Laugh all you want mate, I recollect back in December many of you laughing at me building up my SLAB wipe-out bets, back when 0-5 seats was 125/1 (now 4/1), I'm in line for a serious 5 figure pay-out if it comes off !! I'm also in line for low 5 figure pay-outs at 6-10 and 11-15.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,439
    Pulpstar said:

I think Orkney and Shetland is a Lib Dem hold, but I'd be pleased to see Carmichael lose it since he's cost PBers cash on a few markets.

I thought he was next in line for LibDem leader,or was that just a trading bet?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Cyclefree said:

Smarmeron said:

@Cyclefree

What attacks are we talking about here? Because I'm struggling to think of any that aren't the normal EdM isn't up to being PM type and he can look a bit odd in some photos and, frankly, quite a lot of those come from Labour MPs.
    If ed wants to be an incompetent, backstabbing lightweight in the privacy of his own home that's fine by me. It seems to me relevant to his suitability to govern my country that he is an incompetent, backstabbing lightweight, and legitimate to point out the fact.

As for Justine, the backstabbing was very much a family affair, wasn't it? I think the Madiba principle may apply here (which states that if someone openly and repeatedly advocates the torturing to death of poor black South Africans, their spouse who doesn't come out and say that that might not be the best idea since pulltabs on tins of tomatoes is probably not something you'd want to find on the sole of your shoe, either).
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

So May is the World Islamaphobe of the year? Naively, I would have thought there would be better contenders in Israel...!
    I thought they'd gone for Charlie Hebdo.

I mean, that's spectacular.
  • Options

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

They have multiple categories....other winners included Maajid Nawaz
  • Options

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

I fear for Maajid Nawaz's life: he must be on the hitlist for a lot of nutters.

• Options
    So .. Ed's Mrs is upset at attack on Ed.. We know Ed cannot use a Jimmy Saville "look alike" for their campaign.. like they did in 2010

How about this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys1ShRxuAnY
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he has round the clock security.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    calum said:

Is this actually a serious post? Orkney and Shetland were first and fourth ranked in favour of No, the SNP have never done well here and Carmichael has a very strong personal following. 4/1 is a joke, I would need 10/1 to even consider such a bet.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he has round the clock security.
    I hope so. And I hope the voters (which include both Cyclefree and me) of Hampstead & Kilburn elect him. (Although I suspect it'll be an easy Labour hold.)
  • Options
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 23s24 seconds ago
    Hillary #Clinton says she used private e-mail server to conduct government business while she was U.S. Secretary of State "for convenience"
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 23s24 seconds ago
    Hillary #Clinton says she used private e-mail server to conduct government business while she was U.S. Secretary of State "for convenience"

Utter bollocks. Once it is set up, you cannot tell the difference between which server you are using on your mail client (unless the state department has additional security requiring more password prompts, which would be a stupid reason to not use it).
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Cyclefree said:

Who is Majid Nawaz ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, a phobia is an irrational fear. Any such fear in Israel is entirely rational.

Indeed, any fear here is pretty rational given what's going on.

So either there are no Islamophobes or we all are. A sort of Je suis un Islamophobe/Spartacus/Charlie moment.

Poking fun at these toads is necessary. Anger and sarcasm and contemptuous mockery are necessary tools. They're mine anyway.

This is one reason why I think the word "Islamophobia" should not be used. I know that Antifrank, a poster I much respect, disagreed because he felt that sometimes people did say horrible things about Muslims. And I agree that unnecessary impoliteness to people is unwarranted and uncivilised.

But "Islamophobia" is deliberately confusing attacks on people with attacks on a religion, on an idea - and we should refuse to allow that distinction to be muddied.

Islamophobia is a way of preventing any criticism at all of anything at all to do with Islam and it is particularly pushed by extremists and jihadists. Which is why we should have nothing to do with it.

As Maajid Nawaz put it so elegantly: "No idea above scrutiny. No people below dignity."

(Though on the latter I tend to the view that if people want dignity or respect, they need to show it and earn it.)

This discussion has been closed.