Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Monday polls so far: LAB 1% ahead with Populus but 4% b

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Monday polls so far: LAB 1% ahead with Populus but 4% behind with Ashcroft

Latest Populus VI: Lab 33 (=), Con 32 (+1), LD 9 (+1), UKIP 15 (-1), GRN 6 (+1),

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Phone pollsters rule.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449
    Populus is the new Gold Standard :sunglasses:
  • Options
    I want my
    I want my MTV TNS
    I want my
    I want my MTV TNS

:)
  • Options
    Oh well, 7.5 hours till ELBOW for w/e 8th March...
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    People have begun to make their minds up about EdM. Quite simply Labour have run out of things to say, they have thrown the kitchen sink at the tories and its not working, they have no credibility on the economy and can cry about tory cuts all they like but the people aren't buying it, they know labour screwed the economy, and have failed to come up with a plan to clear the deficit apart from a few soundbites that amount to a small % of the deficit.
    Labour are heading for defeat, EdM will not become PM
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Put a small sum on Bottas, each way, to be fastest in P1 at 17 (Ladbrokes). Won't count towards the weekend stats [only qualifying/race tips do].
  • Options
    The most interesting finding from Lord A

The groups had noticed the latest frenzy over TV debates, but remained unmoved. In previous rounds people have said they would watch the debates if they happened, but those most apt to criticise David Cameron for his reluctance to take part were those already least inclined to vote for him.

This week again we found nothing to suggest Cameron would be seriously damaged if the debates did not go ahead and he was blamed: “he should spend his time running the country rather than standing on stage”. Indeed since the leaders only seem to “act like children” when they get together, the event would probably not be very enlightening anyway.
  • Options

The groups had noticed the latest frenzy over TV debates, but remained unmoved. In previous rounds people have said they would watch the debates if they happened, but those most apt to criticise David Cameron for his reluctance to take part were those already least inclined to vote for him.

This week again we found nothing to suggest Cameron would be seriously damaged if the debates did not go ahead and he was blamed: “he should spend his time running the country rather than standing on stage”. Indeed since the leaders only seem to “act like children” when they get together, the event would probably not be very enlightening anyway.

So what's the point of PMQs? :lol:
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

@SkyNews @AlanJohnson35 @Nigel_Farage Anyone that disagrees with this clearly has a hidden agenda. pic.twitter.com/oV3OFLiEdD

— kevin saunders (@h8kes) March 9, 2015
  • Options
    Woof woof.

In You Gov I need a tie nd I'll be bang on the money fpr a tory 1% lead on average....

• Options

So what's the point of PMQs? :lol:
    For Dave to kick Ed's arse on a regular basis.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/pmqs/8955789/David-Cameron-defends-coalition-Its-not-like-were-brothers-Ed.html
  • Options
    Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage 8h8 hours ago
    "There won't be any huge migrant surges into the UK" the establishment told you, whilst calling UKIP "fruitcakes"...

UKIP right again.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited March 2015
    The 35% strategy is long gone. Only Peter Mandelson could save Labour from looming electoral humiliation, we're talking about circa 25 % without his touch.
  • Options
    Mr. K, Vanilla message for you.
  • Options
    Suzanne Evans ‏@SuzanneEvans1 Mar 8
    Defend 'European values' with an army, says @JunckerEU. What he means is take over UK army & crush British values of freedom & democracy.

I hear on the Telegraph grapevine that Cammo and Co want to reduce our armed forces (land) to only 50K.

That means that after taking all the support troops out, there will be a maximum of 15K frontline forces, (i,e. Soldiers that actually fight). Tories and the rest of the lab/Libs selling out the country.
  • Options
    Having listened to David Cameron state on TV today that he has offered one debate by the end of the month and will not be changing his position demonstrates strong leadership against fierce criticism from his opponents and the broadcasters and it looks as if he may well win the argument especially following the comments about the debates in Lord Ashcroft's poll. Ed Miliband has overplayed his hand by proposing criminalizing non appearance at debates and looks desperate with his any time, any place, anywhere plea. The last week has seen a substantial change in the dynamics of the election with the SNP question causing havoc for labour, a positive economy and a budget to come. Conservative most seats must be the most likely outcome and even maybe a small majority
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Voters were unhappy with the idea of the SNP playing a part in government by 61% to 31%. Conservatives were opposed by a 74-point margin (86% to 12%), and Labour voters were also more likely to be unhappy at the prospect (51%) than happy (44%)

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/03/ashcroft-national-poll-con-34-lab-30-lib-dem-5-ukip-15-green-8/#more-7768
  • Options
    This is why UNS might well not be very useful in May, Baxtering this poll sees the UKIP and the Lib Dems on 4 seats each.

The UKIP seats are Clacton, and then they gain three Scottish seats from the Lib Dems.

Fife North East, Ross Skye and Lochaber and Orkney and Shetland
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Voters were unhappy with the idea of the SNP playing a part in government by 61% to 31%. Conservatives were opposed by a 74-point margin (86% to 12%), and Labour voters were also more likely to be unhappy at the prospect (51%) than happy (44%)

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/03/ashcroft-national-poll-con-34-lab-30-lib-dem-5-ukip-15-green-8/#more-7768

The average swing voter either has no clue or simply hates the Scots:

The Greens still top the list as the only party which more say they would be happy to see in government (48%) than say they would be unhappy (44%)

Greens are way to the left of the Nats.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974

Surely, it's Survation?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The Mail has an amazing headline:

"Ed opens door to a coalition with rampaging Scot Nats as polls predict a 'Braveheart battalion' of MPs storming Westminster"
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB
    Follow
    Big driver of CON position in latest Ashcroft poll is higher certainty to vote. Before turnout filter LAB & CON almost level pegging
    4:07 PM - 9 Mar 2015

1. This close to the election, shouldn't all pollsters be using a turnout filter?

2. Should be good for Con with MORI?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Surely, it's Survation?
    Survation aren't out for another fortnight...
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited March 2015
    So in fact Labour has lost ground in both today's polls, not that this is readily apparent from the thread headline.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Cameron's Liberal Crutch is longer than Labour's. There's even some modest net Con->Lab direct switching in this poll, but the effect of the 2010 Lib Dems is decisive.

Looks like Mike was right to tell us to keep an eye on the 2010 Lib Dems.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Fpt;
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

eagle

The craziest of the bunch was Baruch Goldstein. an American Israeli. Often forgotten but he killed 29 and injured 170 in one Mosque attack. Amazingly after he was killed his grave became a shrine. I think it's something in the air over there

In Hebron, no? A horrible man and a horrible crime. Why people feel the need to worship mass murderers is a mystery to me.
    Sean_F said:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/charlie-hebdo-named-islamophobe-year-by-muslim-group-ihrc-1491138

What on earth do Rowan Williams and Peter Oborne think they're doing by endorsing this event?

Peter Oborne is a supporter of Cage. Rowan Williams is the fool who thought that sharia law should be incorporated into British law.

I am the proud owner of two copies of the post-massacre Charlie Hebdo edition. If that makes me an Islamophobe, tant pis. I tend to have a phobia about people who want to control what I can think, read and speak, wherever they come from.

I took a tour around hebron with these guys;

http://www.tiph.org/

What a fascinating and utterly bonkers place - like a living lesson in the subjectivity of truth.

Has anyone else been?
  • Options

So Labour has lost ground in both today's polls, not that this is readily apparent from the thread headline.

Labour also lost ground in Sunday's polls.
  • Options

This is why UNS might well not be very useful in May, Baxtering this poll sees the UKIP and the Lib Dems on 4 seats each.

The UKIP seats are Clacton, and then they gain three Scottish seats from the Lib Dems.

Fife North East, Ross Skye and Lochaber and Orkney and Shetland

I'd love to see an Orkney and Shetland poll, Kennedy got that 10% "in your seat" boost because he's been nowhere near the Gov't whereas the findings were shocking for Danny.

May2015 has Carmichael 13% ahead, Election Forecast 6% ahead.

I reckon he wins but by ~ 10%.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Alistair said:

"Ed opens door to a coalition with rampaging Scot Nats as polls predict a 'Braveheart battalion' of MPs storming Westminster"

The twin nationalist "Kingmakers" Eck and Nige might find themselves side by side on the opposition bench - couldn't happen to a nicer pair.

• Options
    Alistair said:

In the year of our Lord 2015, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields of Westminster. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    Assuming for the moment that Lord A's polling does not prove to be as useful as that lot from Canada:

Given the loss of 30+ seats in Scotland for 1% of their vote share UK wide Labour's vote will be much less efficient than in 2010. They may well lose more than 10% of their seats for that 1%. Ouch.

So they are left hoping for a repeat of 2005 when they were pretty much equal with the Tories in England but got 92 extra seats. To achieve anything like this I think they need to be very close to the Tories in England. There will be a heavy penalty for every fraction of a percentage point.

I also think the collapse of the Lib Dems will reduce that advantage somewhat by giving the tories some relatively easy pick ups although Labour is likely to get some as well. Some analysis has double counted this advantage by assuming these ex Lib Dems are going to vote Labour tactically. No doubt some of them are but they are already in the numbers and should not be added on again.

From the polling Labour continue to do well in London. The logic of this is that they are not doing well elsewhere. UKIP continue to improve the efficiency of the Tory vote compared with previous elections with 6-8 percentage points worth of votes being reallocated away from uselessly large majorities. I still think this will prove to be a major factor in reducing Labour's advantage.

If Lord A is right then most seats is likely to be very close with the Tories edging ahead. If Populus are Labour are still nailed on, possibly even for a majority given that they will then have scored pretty much dead level in England.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    MikeK said:

Defend 'European values' with an army, says @JunckerEU. What he means is take over UK army & crush British values of freedom & democracy.

I hear on the Telegraph grapevine that Cammo and Co want to reduce our armed forces (land) to only 50K.

That means that after taking all the support troops out, there will be a maximum of 15K frontline forces, (i,e. Soldiers that actually fight). Tories and the rest of the lab/Libs selling out the country.

If the EU is to have an army, what then for Nato?

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Ashcroft and Populus both have the SNP 22 ahead of Labour over their last six polls.

The gap is very reminiscent of the Major/Blair numbers around this time in 1997.
  • Options

Alistair said:

In the year of our Lord 2015, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields of Westminster. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom.
    A rerun of Solway Moss.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    Cameron seems to be happy enough to debate with Ed. Methinks it is Fargle he fears after Cleggies mauling in the pre Euro Election debate
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Cyclefree said:

MikeK said:

I suspect the EU will barge their way in
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    England views a pact with the SNP with extreme negativity.

Nobody on the left seems to appreciate just how utterly toxic this position is.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Ashcroft and Populus both have the SNP 22 ahead of Labour over their last six polls.

The gap is very reminiscent of the Major/Blair numbers around this time in 1997.

The gap on election day being "only" 13%?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Cyclefree said:

MikeK said:

Probably they would disband NATO?

But were an EU army to eventually go to war with Russia no doubt the EU would lose and the US would ultimately be forced to come in and rescue us, LOL!
  • Options

Cameron seems to be happy enough to debate with Ed. Methinks it is Fargle he fears after Cleggies mauling in the pre Euro Election debate

Then why did he agree to the seven-way, and not the head-to-head?
  • Options

chestnut said:

A day which will live in infamy (for PB Tories).
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

So in fact Labour has lost ground in both today's polls, not that this is readily apparent from the thread headline.

Rofl - we have a thread header that avoids mentioning words 'Conservative' and 'lead'. Priceless.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063

Alistair said:

If they're talking about "Braveheart battalions" and "storming Westminster" now just imagine what apocalyptic visions will be conjured up if it actually comes to pass!

Actually, is it intended to frighten Scottish voters into not voting SNP ..... hence Labour, or stampede English voters into voting Tory?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    taffys said:

England views a pact with the SNP with extreme negativity.

Nobody on the left seems to appreciate just how utterly toxic this position is.

I dare say a large number of Unionist Scots share England's aversion to supping with the partitionists.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    felix said:

Rofl - we have a thread header that avoids mentioning words 'Conservative' and 'lead'. Priceless.
    If, if, if, the Conservatives manage to get a tiny majority while the Lib-Dems are all but wiped out, I think Mike might actually ban all #PBTories ? ;)

• Options
    edited March 2015

chestnut said:

That gap gives SNP 50 seats according to May2015 calculator at SNP 41-Lab 28.

It would be the most triumphantly efficient vote share ever seen.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Angela Lansbury ..now in her final mystery..sad
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @May2015NS: Labour appears to have finally lost its poll lead. The Tories have led more polls recently. http://t.co/hLXbRIlBAJ http://t.co/0JVhE2T55h
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Cyclefree said:

MikeK said:

But were an EU army to eventually go to war with Russia no doubt the EU would lose and the US would eventually be forced to come in and rescue us, LOL!
    Why would they disband NATO? Most EU members are also members of NATO. It probably makes NATO easier to run if it becomes an alliance between the US, the EU, Norway, Turkey and who else?

The proposal is more of a concern for those EU countries - like Ireland and Austria - who are declared as neutral.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    Labour's lament.....

Que sera sera.

Whatever will be will be

There's always two thousand and thirty

Que sera sera
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The sight of Labour begging the SNP not to support them is one of the more amusing features of the current political landscape, as is the SNP's ruthless insistence that they will.
  • Options

The sight of Labour begging the SNP not to support them is one of the more amusing features of the current political landscape, as is the SNP's ruthless insistence that they will.

Labour have just had their conference too up in Scotland. Doesn't seem to have been much sign of a bounce.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Cyclefree said:

MikeK said:

But were an EU army to eventually go to war with Russia no doubt the EU would lose and the US would eventually be forced to come in and rescue us, LOL!
    Why would they disband NATO? Most EU members are also members of NATO. It probably makes NATO easier to run if it becomes an alliance between the US, the EU, Norway, Turkey and who else?

The proposal is more of a concern for those EU countries - like Ireland and Austria - who are declared as neutral.
    Finland and Sweden too are neutral. Malta and Cyprus aren't members either (though Turkey occupies the north!).

Non-EU members of NATO are US, Canada, Turkey, Albania, Iceland and Norway.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

Ashcroft seems to indicate an almost perfect vote distribution for the Nats too.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Felix OGH did work for the BBC... old habits die hard
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    FPT Alanbrooke

Ethics! Isn't that a county next to London
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

Labour have just had their conference too up in Scotland. Doesn't seem to have been much sign of a bounce.

It's very hard to see what Scottish Labour can do to ameliorate the situation. I think if I were in their shoes I'd forget about policy or coalitions or anything substantive, and simply appeal to tribal loyalty to try to limit the damage, whilst keeping Ed Miliband as invisible as possible.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Pulpstar said:

Total lack of policies doesn't help. Reasons to vote Labour ?

"Not toffs" ? Even that only appeals to 30% of the electorate.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Cyclefree said:

MikeK said:

Finland and Sweden too are neutral. Malta and Cyprus aren't members either (though Turkey occupies the north!).

So there are six non-NATO members of the EU and six non-EU members of NATO - I see a simple numerical substitution on the cards here that would make NATO and EU memberships coincident...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Total lack of policies doesn't help. Reasons to vote Labour ?

"Not toffs" ? Even that only appeals to 30% of the electorate.
    VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES VOTE SNP GET TORIES

Indeed.
  • Options
    Lefty love in...

@PickardJE: HSBC/PAC: Hodge going for TV clip asking Fairhead if she is "incredibly naive or totally incompetent" - says she should resign from BBC.

@anntreneman: Hodge now tells rona that she should resign from bbc and if she won't then the govt should sack her... It's going really well here

or not
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited March 2015
    Peak Kipper.
    GIN1138 said:

Cyclefree said:

MikeK said:

But were an EU army to eventually go to war with Russia no doubt the EU would lose and the US would ultimately be forced to come in and rescue us, LOL!
    Do the EU member states even have what would constitute an army? Russia would roll right through Europe as it currently stands. The only country who could possibly save them is America. The EU need to stop kidding themselves that they keep world peace and realise it is America who have largely kept Europe stable since WW2.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,917

Alistair said:

If they're talking about "Braveheart battalions" and "storming Westminster" now just imagine what apocalyptic visions will be conjured up if it actually comes to pass!

Actually, is it intended to frighten Scottish voters into not voting SNP ..... hence Labour, or stampede English voters into voting Tory?
    The quick test is to see if it is in the Scottish edition as well. The tabloids are particularly apt to censor their Scottish editions of such filth and degradation, which is odd as they don't always take such care to de-Anglicise other parts (such as the legal advice column where it does matter, as we discussed on PB a few months back). Here's an example, apparently, of such a censored article:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/through-the-vortex/

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,917

Pulpstar said:

It's very hard to see what Scottish Labour can do to ameliorate the situation. I think if I were in their shoes I'd forget about policy or coalitions or anything substantive, and simply appeal to tribal loyalty to try to limit the damage, whilst keeping Ed Miliband as invisible as possible.
    And appeal also to their chums in the media. Not to be forgotten.

• Options
    UKIP could get almost three times as many votes as the Lib Dems.

2* Lib Dems vote share+ looks likely.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

The Daily Record has an utterly embarrassing Labour bias, even more so than the English pro Conservative press.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    MP_SE said:

Peak Kipper.

GIN1138 said:

Cyclefree said:

MikeK said:

Do the EU member states even have what would constitute an army? Russia would roll right through Europe as it currently stands. The only country who could possibly save them is America. The EU need to stop kidding themselves that they keep world peace and realise it is America who have largely kept Europe stable since WW2.
    You think Poland and Germany would let the Russkies roll through without a fight?
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Peak Kipper.

GIN1138 said:

Cyclefree said:

MikeK said:

You think Poland and Germany would let the Russkies roll through without a fight?
    The Russkies reached Berlin OK in 1945 :)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

So are we able to decide the answer to a previous thread - whether Cameron putting the kibosh on the debates was the day he won or lost the election?

Nah, thought not...
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

The twin nationalist "Kingmakers" Eck and Nige might find themselves side by side on the opposition bench - couldn't happen to a nicer pair.
    Salmond is the pitch man, he knows this and likely relishes his role. The decision maker at Westminster is Angus Robertson, if he decided to relinquish the role, it would be taken up by Stewart Hosie.
  • Options
    The Labour campaign in Scotland will be completely focussed on keeping the Tories out. This requires no insight or foresight. It always is.

What they need to do is persuade the Scots that the next PM will be the head of the largest party in the HoC and it is therefore critical that that is Labour. This means Scots must do their duty, hold their noses and vote for the embarrassing muppets they have as candidates (they may word this bit a little differently).

There is the small problem of this contention not being true but this has never, ever, stopped Labour in the past and it will not this time.

I just don't think it is going to work.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    I normally post YouGov charts with a 5-poll moving average, but note that the 10-poll moving average chart is also showing a crossover. Click to enlarge...

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
  • Options
    So the same people who are running the euro (the Germans) will likely end up running an EU army.

Yes - no issues there. The Russians will be cool with that. As will everyone else, I'm sure.
  • Options
    OMG OMG OMG
  • Options
    Bugger!
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, are you quite alright?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    TNS UK @TNS_UK

Hi @Sunil_P2, Our next poll will be released later this month (date tbc), follow @TNS_UK to get the latest updates. bit.ly/1BQLzEg

*Facepalm*
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    SLAB unlikely to benefit from having just had their Scottish conference at the weekend, Consensus among journalists was that strip away their MPs, MSPs, union hacks and councillors, there was no more than a handful of genuine party activists from some constituencies present.

TV coverage was almost non-existent. Even the Labour Broadcasting Corporation (Glasgow Branch) struggled to say much positive about the conference beyond neither Smurf nor Milibland made much, if any references to the SNP. At least the Labour Broadcasting Corporation didn't subject us to Smurf in his running shorts being filmed running along the concourse outside said Labour Broadcasting Corporation premises.

The BBC is seen by most Scots as the mouth piece of the Labour Party and very anti-SNP.
  • Options
    Oh, well, looks like I can publish last week's (w/e 8th March) ELBOW at 6pm, now that TNS seem to have gone awol for the time being!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    I see debate-gate is killing Cameron...maybe the Tories have focus grouped the c##p out of him taking this line on the debates? or maybe he has just got lucky that people see Ed Miliband screaming on their moving picture boxes and go oh crickey don't want 270 minutes of that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What, you think Alan Cochrane might be mistaken in some way?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11457973/Rumours-of-Scottish-Labours-demise-are-premature.html

There was a tramp on Sunday Scotland Politics, wild eyed, hair all over the place, unkept of beard and clothing. Looked just like Cochrane.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Lefty love in...

@PickardJE: HSBC/PAC: Hodge going for TV clip asking Fairhead if she is "incredibly naive or totally incompetent" - says she should resign from BBC.

@anntreneman: Hodge now tells rona that she should resign from bbc and if she won't then the govt should sack her... It's going really well here

or not

I'd cheer if someone being asked questions like that by Hodge turned round and said that they were no more incompetent or naive than she was when in charge of Islington Council and child abuse was going on under her nose and that child abuse is rather more serious and damaging than tax evasion. Oh and that they haven't insulted any victims either.

It would probably cost them the job but what a way to go!

• Options

TNS UK @TNS_UK

Hi @Sunil_P2, Our next poll will be released later this month (date tbc), follow @TNS_UK to get the latest updates. bit.ly/1BQLzEg

*Facepalm*

One of the key ingredients of any TNS poll (apart from a complete lack of reliability) is that the information has to be so out of date by the time it is published as to be useless.
  • Options

Dr. Prasannan, are you quite alright?

Not to worry, Mr Dancer. Just got the tweet from TNS (see upthread).
  • Options
    @jimwaterson: Excl by @dats, third Labour candidate in target seat won't accept Tony Blair's money, others still weighing it up: http://t.co/Y4Mzfke8cf
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

@jimwaterson: Excl by @dats, third Labour candidate in target seat won't accept Tony Blair's money, others up: http://t.co/Y4Mzfke8cf

'still weighing it' - blimey, how much is Tony giving them...?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    DavidL said:

TNS UK @TNS_UK

*Facepalm*

One of the key ingredients of any TNS poll (apart from a complete lack of reliability) is that the information has to be so out of date by the time it is published as to be useless.
    Ah.

I was wondering who Ashcroft was using.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It depends what the goal is.

If it is to save the Labour Party in Scotland, then no, there is absolutely nothing whatsoever they can do. There will be a 55% SNP poll before May. Final result will be very close to SNP vote majority.

If it is to save the Union, then there are some unlikely scenarios but even those (such as pulling out of Scotland) don't seem all that attractive to the Labour mindset of "party first".
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    According to twitter reports a 3rd Labour PPC has rejected "Blair's blood money" with more considering their position.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Margaret Hodge got the biggest brass neck in the business.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Cyclefree said:

MikeK said:

The Baltic States joining NATO and the EU will probably turn out to have been a huge mistake for them

NATO and the EU accepting them likewise.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TNS UK @TNS_UK

*Facepalm*

I thought if they released a poll last week, they would bump up Labour's lead in ELBOW a wee bit :)
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Scott_P said:

@jimwaterson: Excl by @dats, third Labour candidate in target seat won't accept Tony Blair's money, others still weighing it up: http://t.co/Y4Mzfke8cf

In 1997 Labour won my seat by 12,500. In 2010 the conservatives won by 1,000. Blair obviously knew something about winning elections.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

DavidL said:

TNS UK @TNS_UK

*Facepalm*

I thought if they released a poll last week, they would bump up Labour's lead in ELBOW a wee bit :)
    Doesn't this highlight a flaw with ELBOW? Surely polls should be corrected for house effects otherwise ELBOW will fluctuate based on firms' different publication dates.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

The Daily Record has an utterly embarrassing Labour bias, even more so than the English pro Conservative press.
    The Record had to withdraw its Comments Section towards the end of the First Referendum campaign, as it was so hard to maintain the Party Line in the face of 90% hostile comments. It has still not been brought back.

On the same tack, BBC Scotland articles on the BBC News website are the only part of said site which does not allow Comments Sections AT ALL. #bbcbias
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

Ashcroft seems to indicate an almost perfect vote distribution for the Nats too.
    Yeah, I think this has been missed by people, the Ashcroft polling says that the SNP are doing better than universal swing.

SMAPS gives the SNP 55 seats on only a 14 point lead.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    notme said:

Scott_P said:

In 1997 Labour won my seat by 12,500. In 2010 the conservatives won by 1,000. Blair obviously knew something about winning elections.
    The wannabe retread in Northampton North has got some cheek rejecting Blair's money, since she was happy enough to serve in his government!
  • Options

DavidL said:

TNS UK @TNS_UK

*Facepalm*

Doesn't this highlight a flaw with ELBOW? Surely polls should be corrected for house effects otherwise ELBOW will fluctuate based on firms' different publication dates.
    Not necessarily - you'll see there's a definite trend when I tweet my graphs in 20 mins.
  • Options

DavidL said:

TNS UK @TNS_UK

*Facepalm*

How very partisan of you Sunil. I am quite shocked.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

UKIP could get almost three times as many votes as the Lib Dems.

2* Lib Dems vote share+ looks likely.

Backing LD over UKIP at 5/2 is by far and away my worst bet of the GE, only redeeming feature is the PB shrewdies laid me 270@11/8 the other side
This discussion has been closed.