Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling finds David Cameron would get the blame were th

124»

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    SeanT said:

Angharad Rees had a life rather marked by tragedy, I note.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angharad_Rees

Somehow makes her delicate sexiness all the more poignant.

*middle aged sigh*

I've got her autograph somewhere, along with Bernard Lee, Tom Conti and a host of others, all on the same program from some do at Covent Garden in 1980.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    perdix said:

MikeK said:

No truer words written:

Grey Curmudgeon retweeted
    Dewi ‏@canofwormstwo Mar 5
    I'm not naive enough to think UKIP has all the answers.I just know after more than 100 years the #LIblabcons haven't .VOTE #UKIP

May I remind everyone - vote ukip, get Labour. You know it's true!

Think you will find that in a great many seats, especially oop North, it's vote Tory get Labour.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    perdix said:

MikeK said:

No truer words written:

I'm not naive enough to think UKIP has all the answers.I just know after more than 100 years the #LIblabcons haven't .VOTE #UKIP

Except in Northern England - where it's vote UKIP get UKIP.
    Oh and Wales - where it is vote UKIP get UKIP
    And the South East - where it is vote UKIP get UKIP
    And the South West - where it is vote UKIP get UKIP
    Not to mention the Midlands and the North West.

Otherwise you are right.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Matthew D'Ancona, Chief Cameroon Pom Pom waver, lays into Cameron over the debate cowardice

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/08/debate-gate-david-cameron-tv-debates
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

tyson said:

Re-engaging even further with UK politics.... I think that Cameron will be more than happy to lose the election. He's had his shot and his five years driving the car (he's aged twenty years too), and the prospect of a Euro referendum would be unthinkably excruciating to him.

Osborne... I worry about. First (unlike Cameron) he looks much better now than the bloated Tory oaf he was five years back. He knows that if the Tories lose he's a busted flush and will try anything and everything for the Tories to remain in power, even if this means destroying the EU.

So next week expect the most manipulative budget ever.... death duties above a million, a hike in the tax free allowance, a big step to a living wage, real increases in health spending, defence budget enshrined at 2%, house building aplenty...populism, populism, populism. And he will name Miliband as Saville's love child.

Good to see you back again. The problem he's got rather encapsulated in the title of his favourable biography 'The Austerity Chancellor' is that he's made his name and got respect(?) by being the person prepared to take the tough decisions Labour wouldn't. If it suddenly looks like he's doing a giveaway people could rightly be a bit suspicious. Perhaps they'd be a certain resonance in him now rewarding the voters after 5 years of austerity but the public finances are still weak and the plans from the Autumn statement mean eye watering cuts all over the place. I can't see how he does a big reversal on that although one or two eye catching goodies are inevitable.
    If he doles out goodies then the Tories are losing. If he doesn't dole out any goodies then the Tories are winning.

My bet is that there will be a lot more talk of reducing the state and being prudent - but with a twist at the end (so that Ed Miliband hasn't time to think about how to respond).

Budget day always favours the party in power as everyone listens in and see what the LOHMLO has to say as well.

My bet is that BBC television will not bother with Ed's response live at all.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    edited March 2015

perdix said:

MikeK said:

No truer words written:

Think you will find that in a great many seats, especially oop North, it's vote Tory get Labour.
    Most certainly the case less than 2 miles from my house (Rother Valley). Right where I am, right now though it is uncertain. North East Derbyshire 2nd place could just as easily be UKIP or Conservative I reckon. Tories probably deserve favouritism here (For second) but can see UKIP putting up a decent performance, will certainly beat the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Dair said:

tyson said:

Hi Nige- sadly I think you are on the side of the many in England. History has consistently told us that nationalism from whichever angle is not a particularly helpful force, but sadly we never appear to learn

No, history has shown us that pan-nationalism or supra-nationalism and the desire to subjugate or amalgamate other nations is not a particularly helpful force. I for one am very glad of the nationalism that helped small countries to stand against European tyrants.
    You don't get a single bit in the irony of your post, do you.
    I don't see any irony either. @Richard_Tyndall is, as usual, spot on.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,049
    Dair said:

tyson said:

Hi Nige- sadly I think you are on the side of the many in England. History has consistently told us that nationalism from whichever angle is not a particularly helpful force, but sadly we never appear to learn

No, history has shown us that pan-nationalism or supra-nationalism and the desire to subjugate or amalgamate other nations is not a particularly helpful force. I for one am very glad of the nationalism that helped small countries to stand against European tyrants.
    From the man whose posts are consistently bereft of even the most basic of facts I will take that as a compliment.

I am going to assume that like all the other subjects we have discussed recently this is another area where you knowledge is sadly lacking. It saves you embarrassing yourself by making stuff up later.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    Danny Alexander: I will block George Osborne's 'potty' tax cut plans

Liberal Democrats' Chief Secretary to the Treasury says party will rebuff Tory attempts to put pre-election tax cut for top earners in the Budget

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11457917/Danny-Alexander-I-will-block-George-Osbornes-potty-tax-cut-plans.html
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    GeoffM said:

Dair said:

tyson said:

Apologists for Supernational States shouldn't be shouting criticism of them.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    weejonnie said:

perdix said:

MikeK said:

No truer words written:

Except in Northern England - where it's vote UKIP get UKIP.
    Oh and Wales - where it is vote UKIP get UKIP
    And the South East - where it is vote UKIP get UKIP
    And the South West - where it is vote UKIP get UKIP
    Not to mention the Midlands and the North West.

Otherwise you are right.
    In any case, you don't have to get a UKIP MP to 'Vote UKIP get UKIP'. For the people who voted UKIP in 2014 and then saw both major parties swing towards them on immigration it must look suspiciously like they are getting more of what they want because they voted UKIP. Who cares which party is in No10 if they enact your party's policies?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,049
    Dair said:

GeoffM said:

Dair said:

tyson said:

Er in case you missed it Dair I was in favour of Scottish independence. I was in favour of it for entirely positive reasons (rather than the dump the Scots mob) and I remain in favour. I posted about it often on here during the campaign and supported a number of the pro Independence Scots posters on here. My only real argument with them was when they were overly personally offensive to their opponents as I thought it ill served their cause

Nor has my view changed. I see the failed referendum as a great opportunity missed for both Scotland and England and look forward to a positive and friendly separation in the future.

So once again you are comprehensively and utterly wrong.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    edited March 2015

Liberal Democrats' Chief Secretary to the Treasury says party will rebuff Tory attempts to put pre-election tax cut for top earners in the Budget

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11457917/Danny-Alexander-I-will-block-George-Osbornes-potty-tax-cut-plans.html

Will this final budget ever actually be passed into law? I always thought the budget before the election tended to be more "for show" for the Parties to tell the public what their intentions were in the future.

But for actually passing it into law, I thought that usually happened after the election (assuming the government is reelected of course)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Tories in dismay over negative tactics

Nick Sutton (@suttonnick)
    08/03/2015 22:46
    Monday's i front page:
    Tory alarm at party’s negative tactics
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #BBCPapers pic.twitter.com/YbAgtXKcB8
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

Monday's i front page:

I bet Osborne has a couple of tricks up his sleeve to get the backbenchers smiling again. :smiley:

• Options
    isam said:

Monday's i front page:

But but

"So if the TV debates fail to happen, the public will at least be left with the impression of the Prime Minister as an astute tactician."
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

It looks like Alexander has to invent these ''potty'' tax cutting plans in order to oppose them. The only plans seemingly on offer (from an earlier Telegraph report) is to add to previously announced increases in the allowances. This is something that helps everyone but proportionately more the low paid. Actually I take that back since higher 40% rate payers did not get the increases and had their allowance taken away to pay for it. More people got caught up in the higher 40% rate as well. Typically the LDs keep quiet about that.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    isam said:

Matthew D'Ancona, Chief Cameroon Pom Pom waver, lays into Cameron over the debate cowardice

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/08/debate-gate-david-cameron-tv-debates

The thing Cameron forgot when he thought he could just shrug the debates off was that the media absolutely love stories about the media. They are happy to carry them on for a week. Or two weeks. Possibly three weeks.

And if there's one thing the Tory campaign doesn't have, it's a lot of spare weeks left.
  • Options

isam said:

The thing Cameron forgot when he thought he could just shrug the debates off was that the media absolutely love stories about the media. They are happy to carry them on for a week. Or two weeks. Possibly three weeks.

And if there's one thing the Tory campaign doesn't have, it's a lot of spare weeks left.
    Will be interesting to see what happens with tomorrow's polls! If theres going to be any hit's for Con over debategate it will surely show up with tomorrows threesome (Populus, Lord A and YouGov)

• Options
    isam said:

Monday's i front page:

You clearly do not care tuppence about your own...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited March 2015

isam said:

It is amazing, just hour after hour of coverage on tv and radio of debates about the debate over debates. It really is just excited media types talking about themselves as if they are the most important thing in the world.

That isn't to say I think Cameron has played this right and he way well ultimately pay, but I bet if somebody did some analysis of the airtime given to this compared to most of the other major stories (and to be perfectly frank more important in the real world) over the past couple of weeks it will be many multiples.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    GIN1138 said:

Will this final budget ever actually be passed into law? I always thought the budget before the election tended to be more "for show" for the Parties to tell the public what their intentions were in the future.

But for actually passing it into law, I thought that usually happened after the election (assuming the government is reelected of course)
    The business of her majesty's government carries on. The people who carry out the work may change however.

Without a budget coming into law the power to raise income tax disappears.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Will be interesting to see what happens with tomorrow's polls! If theres going to be any hit's for Con over debategate it will surely show up with tomorrows threesome (Populus, Lord A and YouGov)

Hmm Would doubt it actually, if anything is going to show up it will be in IPSOS MORI PM ratings.

I very much expect tommorow's polls to continue the broadly level trend.
  • Options

tyson said:

Re-engaging even further with UK politics.... I think that Cameron will be more than happy to lose the election. He's had his shot and his five years driving the car (he's aged twenty years too), and the prospect of a Euro referendum would be unthinkably excruciating to him.

Osborne... I worry about. First (unlike Cameron) he looks much better now than the bloated Tory oaf he was five years back. He knows that if the Tories lose he's a busted flush and will try anything and everything for the Tories to remain in power, even if this means destroying the EU.

So next week expect the most manipulative budget ever.... death duties above a million, a hike in the tax free allowance, a big step to a living wage, real increases in health spending, defence budget enshrined at 2%, house building aplenty...populism, populism, populism. And he will name Miliband as Saville's love child.

Good to see you back again. The problem he's got rather encapsulated in the title of his favourable biography 'The Austerity Chancellor' is that he's made his name and got respect(?) by being the person prepared to take the tough decisions Labour wouldn't. If it suddenly looks like he's doing a giveaway people could rightly be a bit suspicious. Perhaps they'd be a certain resonance in him now rewarding the voters after 5 years of austerity but the public finances are still weak and the plans from the Autumn statement mean eye watering cuts all over the place. I can't see how he does a big reversal on that although one or two eye catching goodies are inevitable.
    The government's spending was covered in the autumn statement. The budget is about how to pay for it.
    The last budget tightened the fiscal situation if anything. There will not be much change this time. North Sea Oil can expect some help. So called give aways will be matched by some additional tax raising elsewhere - the internet companies and other multinationals currently avoiding tax seem a good bet.
    As this article
    http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/002082.html#more
    reminds us the 2008 crisis led to a, ''permanent loss of prosperity inflicted upon the economy by the crisis. We lost a chunk of gross domestic product that we will never get back, and weak living standards have been a part of the economy’s adjustment to that.''
    The economy has less of a base to raise taxes than before.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Debategate itself is a non-story - everyone except the dim lefties here accepts that the debate about debates and associated chicken-calling is an obligatory ritual these days. OTOH debates of some kind will definitely happen, and will be a major and unpredictable game-changer. Cameron has on one view improved his position in that if he had acquiesced from the start there would have been limited downside for ed. Empty chair debates OTOH could turn into ed's worst nightmare.

NP is not a dim leftie BTW!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    "So perhaps he and the Tories might not take a hit in the voting intention were the debates not to happen, it depends on how much salience this topic has, although this story has a bit more to run, as it is being reported that No ‘empty chair’ humiliation for David Cameron as BBC considers giving him his own general election programme’"

Twitter
    Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie Mar 5
    @BBCNormanS: Ed Miliband is prepared to take part in a head to head debate on his own says @LucyMPowell #wato” #compulsiveviewing

ChristinaD @fitalass · Mar 5
    @montie @BBCNormanS @LucyMPowell Lab have walking into trap with an audience with @Ed_Miliband offer That format would really suit Cameron..
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

GeoffM said:

Dair said:

tyson said:

Er in case you missed it Dair I was in favour of Scottish independence. I was in favour of it for entirely positive reasons (rather than the dump the Scots mob) and I remain in favour. I posted about it often on here during the campaign and supported a number of the pro Independence Scots posters on here. My only real argument with them was when they were overly personally offensive to their opponents as I thought it ill served their cause

Nor has my view changed. I see the failed referendum as a great opportunity missed for both Scotland and England and look forward to a positive and friendly separation in the future.

So once again you are comprehensively and utterly wrong.
    My apologies for the error.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    TGOHF said:

Debate this...

@jameschappers: Quite the Tory billboard tomorrow. @AlexSalmond (literally) becoming a huge figure in UK general election #GE2015 http://t.co/UryRTJr6V6

That came off as quite a striking photo of Mr Salmond. I think he will like it!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited March 2015
    A very powerful message that has already gone viral... And very astute to use Alex Salmond rather than Nicola Sturgeon too... WinWin
    I caught up with the highlights of the Scottish Labour Spring Conference tonight, very interesting to note that Jim Murphy got quite frustrated at having to continually refuse to rule out any deals with the SNP after the next GE during his interview with Brian Taylor.
    TGOHF said:

Debate this...

@jameschappers: Quite the Tory billboard tomorrow. @AlexSalmond (literally) becoming a huge figure in UK general election #GE2015 http://t.co/UryRTJr6V6

This discussion has been closed.