Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling finds David Cameron would get the blame were th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling finds David Cameron would get the blame were the debates not to take place

The polling by YouGov on the debates doesn’t make for good reading for David Cameron, such as 50% think David Cameron is scared to debate other party leaders. whilst 38% mostly blame Cameron for the stalemate over the debates, whilst 13% mostly blame the broadcasters, and below, David Cameron doesn’t come off as sincere in regards to the debates.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    So if the TV debates fail to happen, the public will at least be left with the impression of the Prime Minister as an astute tactician.

No.

Most of the public won't care. Those that do will not have a favourable impression of the PM over this. Like the boundary changes for Clegg the issue may be of low enough saliency to work to Dave's advantage.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449
    Broken, sleazy, COWARDLY Tories on the slide?
  • Options
    Blackburn to beat Liverpool today, can get around 12/1
  • Options
    BTW, our BRITISH tennis ace Andy Murray 2 sets up against USA's Isner in the Davis Cup :)
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    test
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: MPs to debate broadcasters' proposals on #tvdebates in Commons this wed on @duponline motion
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So all that means is that a few TV companies will be less than happy and the rest of the population will carry on about their business..and watch something else.. Bake Off or a reality show.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    I'm becoming ever more convinced that if Labour can galvanize the opposition to bring about tactical voting the Tories could become toast. The Scots did it during the referendum and Labour could do it now. There's plenty to dislike. The debate issue is symptomatic but not decisive. It needs working on but Ed's started well
  • Options
    Actually I think those that understand it will regard it as extremely cynical, especially given Dave's stance when he was LOTO.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
    I don't think there's any way that Cameron looks good over this, but that may well be better than giving Milliband or Farage the chance to shine in debate. It doesn't seem to be an issue that shifts votes.
  • Options
    coolagornacoolagorna Posts: 127
    Most amused to see those fresh faced young Tories
    behind the smart casual attired Dave waving their placards
    with the phrase "Strong Leadership" on them

At least it seems irony isnt dead in the Conservative Party
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Salience is the point. Who cares?

And "wants/has most to gain from a debate" is an excellent proxy for "is in a desperate position". The changes on January 2014 are very encouraging for the tories.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ed's started well

"I will make it illegal not to appear with me on telly..."

What does starting badly look like?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I don't give a toss either way, the interest bubble on here is so weird.

So all that means is that a few TV companies will be less than happy and the rest of the population will carry on about their business..and watch something else.. Bake Off or a reality show.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    Roger said:

I'm becoming ever more convinced that if Labour can galvanize the opposition to bring about tactical voting the Tories could become toast. The Scots did it during the referendum and Labour could do it now. There's plenty to dislike. The debate issue is symptomatic but not decisive. It needs working on but Ed's started well

I'm not 100% sure how you can vote tactically in a referendum with a single either/or question, but maybe you can enlighten us.

• Options
    Even now, Crosby's allies are dismissive of the broadcasters threat to 'empty chair' Cameron.

They point out that a six-way debate without Cameron would make his case that the choice at the Election is between him and 'chaos', while a head-to-head Prime Minister's debate without Cameron would be like Hamlet without the Prince.

They are unbothered by the prospect of Miliband being offered the whole primetime slot if Cameron doesn't show. One Tory source quips: 'Given his personal poll ratings, who cares if he gets an hour and a bit?'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2984681/JAMES-FORSYTH-Dave-s-trick-winning-TV-debates-Don-t-turn-up.html
  • Options
    Quite, and *something that didn't happen* isn't much of anything.
    Sean_F said:

I don't think there's any way that Cameron looks good over this, but that may well be better than giving Milliband or Farage the chance to shine in debate. It doesn't seem to be an issue that shifts votes.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    BRITISH Tennis ace Andy Murray defeats Isner in straight sets to give GB a Davis Cup win against the USA with two matches spare! :)
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    Pulpstar said:

Actually I think those that understand it will regard it as extremely cynical, especially given Dave's stance when he was LOTO.

A lot of people who understand it will be cynics and probably won't blame Cammo for something they would do, in similar circumstances.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

So if the TV debates fail to happen, the public will at least be left with the impression of the Prime Minister as an astute tactician.

No.

Most of the public won't care. Those that do will not have a favourable impression of the PM over this. Like the boundary changes for Clegg the issue may be of low enough saliency to work to Dave's advantage.

Pulpstar said:

No.

Yes, it's a topic that's unlikely to excite anybody outside the Village and anoraks like us.

To the extent the more general public does form an opinion I would imagine it would split more or less equally between those who think Dave is chcken (wrong) and those who think he has been either astute or sneaky (both arguably correct).

On the whole, it won't sway many votes, so the damage is probably regarded as acceptable by CCHQ. Proper debates might have been catastrophic.
  • Options
    Indeed. It's a walkover with just EdM as PM Candidate.

The Tories can't lose. Very astute by CCHQ.
    Scott_P said:

Even now, Crosby's allies are dismissive of the broadcasters threat to 'empty chair' Cameron.

They point out that a six-way debate without Cameron would make his case that the choice at the Election is between him and 'chaos', while a head-to-head Prime Minister's debate without Cameron would be like Hamlet without the Prince.

They are unbothered by the prospect of Miliband being offered the whole primetime slot if Cameron doesn't show. One Tory source quips: 'Given his personal poll ratings, who cares if he gets an hour and a bit?'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2984681/JAMES-FORSYTH-Dave-s-trick-winning-TV-debates-Don-t-turn-up.html

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Can ed convince an empty chair, in only 90 minutes, that a freeze is the same as a cap?

Conundrum for ed's handlers: in an ed v chair debate do you have the onscreen worm thingy? What if the chair wins?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Those that understand it will likely applaud extremely cynical behaviour...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Well I don't.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Sean_F said:

So you dont think that during the closest election.in years
    the general public wont be thinking

Why is our PM going around pointing at fish whilst Miliband
    Farage and all the others are discussing the countrys future direction??

You PB Tories really dont get it do you? But you will..mark
    my words you will

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Scott_P said:

That's the trump card.

The morning with the inevitable fallout from the previous nights "Telebate" it's simply pointed out that's what the government would look like in reality after May 8th.

You wouldn't need party political broadcasts after that ... Sorted!

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,917
    edited March 2015

Roger said:

I'm not 100% sure how you can vote tactically in a referendum with a single either/or question, but maybe you can enlighten us.

Agreed. Especially as the main feature of Scottish politics appears to be, at least partly, the collapse of anti-Tory tactical voting to the benefit of SLAB, to the latter's great detriment.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Well I don't.
    Only because it means fewer betting opportunities

:lol:
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

No.

Yes, it's a topic that's unlikely to excite anybody outside the Village and anoraks like us.

To the extent the more general public does form an opinion I would imagine it would split more or less equally between those who think Dave is chcken (wrong) and those who think he has been either astute or sneaky (both arguably correct).

On the whole, it won't sway many votes, so the damage is probably regarded as acceptable by CCHQ. Proper debates might have been catastrophic.
    In this case, there's not much distinction between being chicken and being astute/sneaky. Cameron is both afraid of the debates, and acting rationally in avoiding them.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

yawn...zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Ishmael_X
    Are you children still playing games?

"Despite the wholesale cost of gas and electricity falling 20% and 9% respectively in the last year, the retail cost of energy has not fallen.
    Labour’s motion promised to freeze energy prices until 2017, allowing them to fall but not rise, as well as giving the market regulator the power to force energy companies to lower their prices if the wholesale cost is dropping.
    Iain McKenzie commented afterwards:
    “Once again the Tories have shown they are living on another planet."

Stop reading your comics and have a browse through Hansard, it might help you grow up.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

No.

In this case, there's not much distinction between being chicken and being astute/sneaky. Cameron is both afraid of the debates, and acting rationally in avoiding them.
    I must admit, I don't understand the accusation of "chicken".

If you are acting rationally, then to avoid a fight that you will likely lose is a sensible thing to do.

"Chicken" is a playground taunt that tries to entice someone to be have non-rationally - it's actually a good thing to ignore the accusation
  • Options
    Roger said:

wishful thinking
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    General public wasn't really interested last time.only 22 million watched!
  • Options

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

I suppose you could call what Farage and Sturgeon will do to Miliband in a debate "discussing the country's future direction", in the sense that Scipio Africanus "discussed the country's future direction" with Hannibal at Zama.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Audience for cameron interview on Marr.

About 50 including 25 known as Pb tories
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

No.

So when Cameron has an opinion on how the debates should be run he is stated as bullying the TV companies. When same Tv companies "threaten" to empty chair him to force his participation the TV companies are not accused of bullying?

Mmmmmmm..... Hypocritical or what?

My view don't do them let the remainder Telebate" just to show how chaotic it would be.
  • Options

We're holding back ELBOW as long as possible to give TNS time to release their poll which surely was with fieldwork last week, but we can disclose that Lab have a 0.3% lead across all nine polls so far. This would be the lowest ever Lab lead in ELBOW since its inception in August, unless TNS come to the rescue!

Now, here's the other interesting bit:

just including the five YouGov polls this week, it's a dead heat! 33.7% each for Lab and Con!

By contrast, excluding YG and just including the four non-YG so far this week, Lab actually have a 0.7% lead!

• Options
    SMukesh said:

then the cleggasm happened - and we all know what happended with that!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2015
    SMukesh said:

22 million people didn't watch...there was a combined total of 22 million views across all debates, NOT THE SAME THING. Its like saying Man Utd's attendance last season was over 1 million, when for most matches I would think 70% at least are the same core group of people.

It was actually about 7-10 million for each debate, not an insignificant amount for sure.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

No.

If you are acting rationally, then to avoid a fight that you will likely lose is a sensible thing to do.

"Chicken" is a playground taunt that tries to entice someone to be have non-rationally - it's actually a good thing to ignore the accusation
    So you agree Cameron will "most likely lose" to Miliband ina debate

Yet Tories have said for ages....yes we know Labours policies
    are far more popular than ours but when.they compare Dave
    to Ed will be where we score

So his policies are worse, he will most likely lose in a debate,
    he trails by miles on "understands people like me" in polls and
    on "in touch" polls and thanks to Cleggs one decent act of the
    past five years over boundaries has a "mountain to climb"
    electorally according to Mike

Not looking good for old Dave is it really?
  • Options

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

No.

No: I think there is limited upside for Cameron (because everyone expects him to win) while Miliband may outperform or at least deflect. So the risk/reward profile is not in Cameron's favour.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    The desperate rush by loyal pb tories to justify chicken Dave's actions show they know that it will not go down well with the voting public as a whole and just hope that the damage will be limited .
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

The desperate rush by loyal pb tories to justify chicken Dave's actions show they know that it will not go down well with the voting public as a whole and just hope that the damage will be limited .

given the amount of chicken calling I suspect it's not the Tories who are desperate.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

SMukesh said:

22 million people didn't watch...there was a combined total of 22 million views across all debates, NOT THE SAME THING. Its like saying Man Utd's attendance last season was over 1 million, when for most matches I would think 70% at least are the same core group of people.

It was actually about 7-10 million for each debate, not an insignificant amount for sure.
    Edit:- I just checked, roughly (as telly people talk in peak and totals), but one got 10 million, one got 4 million, and one got 8 million.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

given the amount of chicken calling I suspect it's not the Tories who are desperate.
    Calling it as it is and how the voting public see it . Why can't you loyal pbtories just act as loyal Chelsea fans and go around chanting " Our leader is a coward and we are cowards too "
  • Options

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

No.

OK, so ed will obviously win a majority in May. The end. So mortgage your grandmother and bet on that outcome.

In the meantime don't gloss another poster's "likely" as "most likely". It's dishonest and bad manners.

And congratulations on your insight this morning that Lamb could never lead the LDs because he has a comic surname. Who is the shadow Chancellor?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Cameron is correct not to turn up to the debates.
    For the reasons given, as it might help Milliband.

The perception to the public is therefore reinforced as no one even many conservative supporters know what he really stands for, or believes in.
    From Green issues, to the EU or the debates themselves, he is not an astute tactician, as could be seen from the last GE.
    That is why they pay good money to Lynton Crosby to stop Cameron from himself.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

No.

Quite so. Indeed, I'd go one step further and hazard that those who already think favorably of Cameron will see it as astute, those who dislike him will see it as cowardly, and those who have no opinion won't be arsed one way or the other.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Calling it as it is and how the voting public see it . Why can't you loyal pbtories just act as loyal Chelsea fans and go around chanting " Our leader is a coward and we are cowards too "
    I suspect the public won't actually care that much.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725
    edited March 2015

SMukesh said:

The 22 million is a "reach" figure, i.e. 22 million separate individuals watched some portion of any of the debates (the standard minimum is three consecutive minutes).
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    NeilVW said:

SMukesh said:

The 22 million is a "reach figure", i.e. 22 million separate individuals watched some portion of any of the debates (the standard minimum is three consecutive minutes).
    KGM on CH4 on Friday challenged this figure too, and the Sky bod conceded that it wasn't really that many. And 3 consecutive mins is basically nothing, that is like leaving your telly on the wrong channel while you went to the toilet.

I am not saying that the numbers weren't decent. 10 million is very good peak number. Just this banded about 22 million figure is nonsense, flicking channels around, watching for 5 mins and then going god these people total idiots and changing channel doesn't count as engaging in the debates.
  • Options
    If I was the Conservatives I would be pushing for Cameron to have a nice cosy chat with Andrew Marr on 30th April, that is about the level he could cope with.

I would avoid Andrew Neil like the plaque.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Ive always seen the debates thing as tactics by Cameron (which he has been very cunning in so far). But, if he doesnt actually take part in them at the end of the day i'll be disappointed.
  • Options
    Coolangora " Pointing at fish". Bingo.. How is the Cheshire Estate and the offie doing
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Yorkcity said:

If I was the Conservatives I would be pushing for Cameron to have a nice cosy chat with Andrew Marr on 30th April, that is about the level he could cope with.

Cameron was crap with Marr during the last GE, and Marr played dirty, remember how he flashed up the Bullingdon picture (after he got attacked, literally attacked by a Labour bod, for asking Gordo about his meds*).
  • Options

Nothing to do with cowardice. Cameron would beat Miliband in a debate, with a probability of say 80%. Result: none - Miliband's uselessness against Cameron is already priced in. If Cameron stays out of it Miliband gets publicly slaughtered by Farage and Sturgeon, and then outwitted and humiliated by an empty chair. Result: 5% off labour in the polls and a completion of their destruction in Scotland. I don't see how cowardice comes in to it. I do not intend to spend the rest of the afternoon hitting myself in the face with a hammer. Does that make me a spineless poltroon?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Can ed convince an empty chair, in only 90 minutes, that a freeze is the same as a cap?

Conundrum for ed's handlers: in an ed v chair debate do you have the onscreen worm thingy? What if the chair wins?

Just had a quick read of some of your offerings

Like this typical one above. truly the work of an intellectual giant

Im sorry no one replies to your posts Mr X but I guess even PB Tories have
    some standards

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Ishmael_X
    Are you children still playing games?

"Despite the wholesale cost of gas and electricity falling 20% and 9% respectively in the last year, the retail cost of energy has not fallen.
    Labour’s motion promised to freeze energy prices until 2017, allowing them to fall but not rise, as well as giving the market regulator the power to force energy companies to lower their prices if the wholesale cost is dropping.
    Iain McKenzie commented afterwards:
    “Once again the Tories have shown they are living on another planet."

Stop reading your comics and have a browse through Hansard, it might help you grow up.

Its so funny, i cant stop myself laughing. You do realise that we all have the internet as well? And with the magic of google we can trace the quote like you did?

That quote above is from January 2015, after oil prices collapsed. Miliband's pledge was september 2013.

It's like fish in a barrel. Keep trying though.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

No.

Impressively Cameron has come across as both untrustworthy and a coward. He should have just said no.

Of course I can understand his fear of debating Farage.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2015
    With seven and perhaps eight leaders being interviewed in 90 minutes there is not sufficient time to forensically test the party leaders or policies.

So the debates are a waste of time.

Better to have the leaders interviewed one at a time by Andrew Neil et al on each TV channel.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

some standards

But you just did reply to one, didn't you? So not your best point of the day - that would be your "Lamb" insight. #dimleftie
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited March 2015
    But would it change anybody's voting intention?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

By flossing?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

some standards

But you just did reply to one, didn't you? So not your best point of the day - that would be your "Lamb" insight. #dimleftie
    Lol..ok ill give you that one

Plead guilty to the dim leftie hashtag too but there are millions
    of us out here..As John Winston Lennon said "Im not the only one"
  • Options

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

Have a word with yourself. Hopefully, the Tories, and your lot of incompetents will both "get it".
    The general public don't want either of you in any great quantity. Hopefully, you'll both get a third of the vote each, and destroy yourselves in the recriminations after. I feckin despise the lot of them, and judging by the polls, so do most of the voters.

• Options
    Have we seen or heard anything from Cameron since Friday? Or is he still hiding behind the Downing St. chaise longue?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Why the debates are pointless

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/03/a-masterclass-in-dodging-questions-from-philip-hammond-and-caroline-flint/

The y will not elicit a single straight answer from any of them.
  • Options
    GIN1138 He is probably enjoying a great weekend at Chequers..I would..
  • Options

As someone said in an earlier post, if Miliband manages to get through the debate without soiling himself, he will be defying expectations.

Of course this is unfair as Miliband is not a bad debater. He might not get the better of Cameron at PMQs very often, but he aint third rate.

George Bush's single biggest attribute was that people underestimated him.
  • Options

Probably. He might not have many more weekends there...

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Ishmael_X said:

Yorkcity said:

By flossing?
    Andrew Neil is a conservative, but he is the best interviewer by a mile at holding politicians to account.
    I imagine that is why Cameron would avoid the opportunity to have an hour on his own with him on 30th April.

Apologies for the earlier typo of plague
  • Options
    6.1k shares for the Cyril Smith story in the Mail on Sunday....
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited March 2015
    I don't what the dynamics of a six person debate will be, but it's only one extra panelist than on Question Time and you can certainly create a good (or bad) impression on that.

The main risk for Cameron in avoiding the first two debates is that Farage would have a free run as the only right wing candidate and probably the only leader involved that will appeal to Conservative type supporters.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

No.

Impressively Cameron has come across as both untrustworthy and a coward. He should have just said no.

Cameron doesn't have a good record to defend, and I'm sure he knows it. His trump card is that a Labour/SNP coalition would be worse.

• Options

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

Have a word with yourself. Hopefully, the Tories, and your lot of incompetents will both "get it".
    The general public don't want either of you in any great quantity. Hopefully, you'll both get a third of the vote each, and destroy yourselves in the recriminations after. I feckin despise the lot of them, and judging by the polls, so do most of the voters.

Whoever wins, we lose.

• Options

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

Agreed I had put you in the blue column though, are you now going green ?
  • Options
    Artist said:

I don't what the dynamics of a six person debate will be, but it's only one extra panelist than on Question Time and you can certainly create a good (or bad) impression on that.

The main risk for Cameron in avoiding the first two debates is that Farage would have a free run as the only right wing candidate and probably the only leader involved that will appeal to Conservative type supporters.

I always think it is really disappointing we don't have at least one QT a year with the leaders, and one with the chancellors / shadows, etc...I think say 5 a year where it is a head to head of the big beasts of each party would be a good exercise.
  • Options
    @notme
    Well sunshine, if you have google, you can see the exact wording of the motion, then giggle yourself to death.
    The motion was moved, debated, then defeated, and as such your definitive source would be "Hansard", which as you might have noticed was where I was pointing you to.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    We are skill rabbiting on about 'debates'? Clearly the economy must be on the up.
    Still trying to defend Miliband for not having the sense to realise what an energy market is all about?

The Return of the Trolls.
    It looks like this site is becoming unreadable again.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FalseFlag said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

No.

Cameron doesn't have a good record to defend, and I'm sure he knows it. His trump card is that a Labour/SNP coalition would be worse.

There's a general optimism which I thought we might never ever get back. As if what happened in 2008 was the mark of our terminal decline. The city of london, gone for ever, unemployment never to get materially better. Our standard of living to just drop and drop and drop, with the USA dropping out of leading the free world.

This is not the case. We have a lot of problems, but a lot to look forward to. I think it is absolutely extraordinary how changes to welfare have fundamentally altered what those who have been long term recipients expect for it.

I think the next government is going to have a hell of a tough time managing the spending restraints necessary to get into balance, but the nation is a better off nation then it was in 2010. There might be points on a graph where we are not where we used to be, but the trajectory has been turned around.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

Whoever wins, we lose.

We the public have lost big time, due to the banking industry these past 8 years, and for at least another 5.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

Which way does it seem to be going in Loughbrough? Labour still invisible?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Artist said:

I always think it is really disappointing we don't have at least one QT a year with the leaders, and one with the chancellors / shadows, etc...I think say 5 a year where it is a head to head of the big beasts of each party would be a good exercise.
    Perhaps you could introduce legislation to make it a legal requirement.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

I don't have a clue. Probably just scrawl obscenities on my ballot paper in green crayon!

• Options
    saddened said:

Artist said:

And if you refuse...off to the Big Brother with you...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Incidentally I have just done quite a big YouGov on the debates and about the leadership qualities of Dave and Ed with a focus on how good in a crisis.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    GIN1138 said:

Probably. He might not have many more weekends there...

I have it on good authority that he's at Eton today, for some reason.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Sean_F said:

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

Whoever wins, we lose.

We the public have lost big time, due to the banking industry these past 8 years, and for at least another 5.
    The banking industry played a part, they precipitated the bust, but they also precipitated the boom. Anyone who on here saw their property value increase played just as much a part in the boom and the bust.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Have we seen or heard anything from Cameron since Friday? Or is he still hiding behind the Downing St. chaise longue?

Caught a glimpse of him on sky news wearing a jumper in london ,at a meet the faithful event.
    Plenty of hand picked people, very diverse looking, holding blue placards.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Not sure.

Ed is preparing for the new-look debates. Alistair Campbell is helping in rehearsals by playing the role of the empty chair.
  • Options

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

Which way does it seem to be going in Loughbrough? Labour still invisible?
    Yeah, nothing from Labour, but the whole family got personally addressed guff from both Cameron and Morgan on Friday. Nowt from any other party, either.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

6.1k shares for the Cyril Smith story in the Mail on Sunday....

Does it mention either of his parties anywhere? Or does it focus on Thatcher?
  • Options

Artist said:

I agree. I suppose the problem is how do you prevent them cancelling at short notice when, as is inevitable, one is up and another is down
  • Options

saddened said:

Artist said:

And if you refuse...off to the Big Brother with you...
    How catty...
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@notme
    Well sunshine, if you have google, you can see the exact wording of the motion, then giggle yourself to death.
    The motion was moved, debated, then defeated, and as such your definitive source would be "Hansard", which as you might have noticed was where I was pointing you to.

Here is the motion November 2013:
    That this House
    calls on the Government to freeze electricity and gas prices for 20 months whilst legislation is introduced to ring-fence the generation businesses of the vertically integrated energy companies from their supply businesses, to require all electricity generators and suppliers to trade their power via an open exchange, to establish a tough new regulator with the power to force energy suppliers to pass on price cuts when wholesale costs fall, and to put all over-75-year-olds on the cheapest tariff.

At the heart of this debate is a question about whether we believe that people have been overcharged and let down by a regulator that has failed to do its job, and that to win back the trust of the British people we need to mend this broken market. Today we put before the House a motion that proposes two measures to provide real help now through a temporary 20-month price freeze and by putting all those over the age of 75 on the cheapest tariff, as well as deep structural reforms to the way that this market works for the future. These are the measures that we will take if we win the next election, but these are measures that this Government could take now, for which they would have our full support.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

my words you will

I don't have a clue. Probably just scrawl obscenities on my ballot paper in green crayon!

I voted yellow last time but I feel the same as you this time.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

notme said:

Sean_F said:

FalseFlag said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Pulpstar said:

he issue may be of low enough saliency to work to Dave's advantage.

There's a general optimism which I thought we might never ever get back. As if what happened in 2008 was the mark of our terminal decline. The city of london, gone for ever, unemployment never to get materially better. Our standard of living to just drop and drop and drop, with the USA dropping out of leading the free world.

This is not the case. We have a lot of problems, but a lot to look forward to. I think it is absolutely extraordinary how changes to welfare have fundamentally altered what those who have been long term recipients expect for it.

I think the next government is going to have a hell of a tough time managing the spending restraints necessary to get into balance, but the nation is a better off nation then it was in 2010. There might be points on a graph where we are not where we used to be, but the trajectory has been turned around.

Agreed. I feared we were terminally f*cked in 2008. It just turned out we were monumentally screwed, but it wasn't the end of British prosperity forever.

Remember David Blanchflower and his "five million unemployed" etc etc
    Yes, he blocked me on twitter when I pointed out that he said it....
  • Options
    @Not me
    "to establish a tough new regulator with the power to force energy suppliers to pass on price cuts when wholesale costs fall, and to put all over-75-year-olds on the cheapest tariff."

I thank you.
    :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    SeanT said:

Agreed. I feared we were terminally f*cked in 2008. It just turned out we were monumentally screwed, but it wasn't the end of British prosperity forever.

Remember David Blanchflower and his "five million unemployed" etc etc

Things have generally worked out better than I thought they would in 2010, which is why I'm willing to give Con (or the coalition) another go.

For our business 2011-2013 was grim, but things are definitely going well now.
This discussion has been closed.