Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest slot contributor, Stodge, casts his eye on the battl

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest slot contributor, Stodge, casts his eye on the battle for London

Dr Carl Sagan once said “you have to understand the past to know the present”. Looking at the election battleground that is Greater London and its 73 seats, that quote seems strangely apposite.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    First
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    It's still hard to square virtually all the London opinion polls in the past 5 years (which have generally shown the swing to Labour below the national average) and the actual London 2014 elections (which showed the swing well above the national average).
  • Options
    Nice bloke Martin Linton.
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    Very strange you fail to mention the most nailed-on Labour gain in London (from the Tories), which is Enfield North. Huge demographic change there and I fully expect the result to significantly contradict JackW's prediction - a Labour majority of at least 5000. Jack is also badly off-beam on Croydon Central which, as you say, is most likely a Labour gain.

11/4 is not good value for Labour to win Battersea. They have no chance whatsoever, and contrary to what you say this is crystal clear from the local election results last year.

Enfield Southgate is doable for Labour, they narrowly polled the most votes there in the local elections last year and as in Enfield North the demographics are helping them considerably. Finchley & GG will be an easy Tory hold.

Lib Dems will hold Kingston easily and Twickenham is only a potential Tory gain if Vince steps down at the last minute.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited March 2015
    FPT:
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

Jack

why do you consider Enfield North too close too call?

Jack

It's a good question Andrea. If Ed is not winning super marginals in North London at a canter where is he winning ?
    Labour are edging Enfield North and some other Conservative London seats, Broxtowe and some other marginals in the midlands and north together with some LibDem seats. Against this are the SNP losses.

The big unknown is the North England seats.

Look at Heywood and Middleton. GE2010 was a 12.9% LAB Majority, at the by-election last year the LAB percentage of the vote didn't change by more than a few points, the LD vote cratered, the CON voter got hammered, and the Kipper vote suddenly put on 35% out of thin air.

This could suggest the LD vote is largely a NOTA vote, and the kippers are the new party of NOTA, or it could suggest WVM wants to ditch labour, and either the local Conservative voters are more naturally kippers anyway, or they want to help kick out Labour.

If that is repeated across the North, especially in WVM areas like the suburbs of the northern cities, Labour might be in for a bit of a scare.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    From the previous thread - it is amazing that after the Good Lord showed the extreme generosity of polling over a third of the constituencies in Scotland that people are theorizing about what is happening, coming up with dizzying cross party voting schemes, when you can read the figures and actually see how it actually stands right now.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Indigo said:

FPT:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

Jack

Jack

It's a good question Andrea. If Ed is not winning super marginals in North London at a canter where is he winning ?
    Labour are edging Enfield North and some other Conservative London seats, Broxtowe and some other marginals in the midlands and north together with some LibDem seats. Against this are the SNP losses.

Look at Heywood and Middleton. GE2010 was a 12.9% LAB Majority, at the by-election last year the LAB percentage of the vote change by more than a few points, the LD vote cratered, the CON voter got hammered, and the Kipper vote suddenly put on 35% out of thin air.

This could suggest the LD vote is largely a NOTA vote, and the kippers are the new party of NOTA, or it could suggest WVM wants to ditch labour, and either the local Conservative voters are more naturally kippers anyway, or they want to help kick out Labour.

If that is repeated across the North, especially in WVM areas like the suburbs of the northern cities, Labour might be in for a bit of a scare.
    There is also a cultural factor for northern England politics: people sick of the main parties just pandering to the south, and stiffing the North with particularly harsh cuts. UKIP have been very adept at playing on this, partly because they actually field Northern candidates rather than London party apparatchiks.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Danny565 said:

There is also a cultural factor for northern England politics: people sick of the main parties just pandering to the south, and stiffing the North with particularly harsh cuts. UKIP have been very adept at playing on this, partly because they actually field Northern candidates rather than London party apparatchiks.

Like Doncaster...
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    I agree with all the predictions.

Despite not looking good on paper Labour seem to think they have a good shot in Finchley and Golders Green so maybe there's something going on there.
  • Options
    1) UKIP will not win a seat in London

2) The Greens will not win a seat in London

3) The Liberal Democrats will not gain a seat in London

4) East Ham will be a Labour hold

Nice little ACCA there, Stodge. A tenner might net you all of 50p ;-)

You on Jezki? If not, do so soon. Will be shorter on the day.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Despite not looking good on paper Labour seem to think they have a good shot in Finchley and Golders Green so maybe there's something going on there.

Looks a stretch to me but the mere fact that seats like that and Ilford North are considered to be 'in play' must be encouraging for the Red team.
  • Options
    nu123nu123 Posts: 25
    "very strange you fail to mention the most nailed-on Labour gain in London (from the Tories), which is Enfield North. Huge demographic change there..."

There's huge demographic change in most of London. The Conservatives really need to start to win over more ethnic minority voters before they no longer have any marginals in London left to win. I don't how they go about this without alienating the traditional vote that hasn't gone to UKIP. Many ethnic minority voters should be natural Conservatives but it will take time before they start voting for the party. Meanwhile they should be going doing all they can to attract these voters. Like having fewer people from Eton on the front bench and recognising how policies like taking passports away from citizens without trial looks quite bad.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Wasn't there something about Hampstead & Kilburn possibly going blue this time, now that Glenda Hodges has stepped down.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    Danny565 said:

It's still hard to square virtually all the London opinion polls in the past 5 years (which have generally shown the swing to Labour below the national average) and the actual London 2014 elections (which showed the swing well above the national average).

Given the swing in London in 2010 was only 2.5% compared with 5% nationally perhaps it meant there is less need / capacity for a readjustment now? Perhaps the wealth of the city means that voters tend to shift their votes less because fewer of them are dissatisfied with the status quo?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    Good to see you again Stodge. A pity others who predict on here don't do so with your obvious local knowledge
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Artist said:

Looks a stretch to me but the mere fact that seats like that and Ilford North are considered to be 'in play' must be encouraging for the Red team.
    Being led by a geeky Jewish north Londoner may not be the handicap in Finchley and Golders Green that it is in some other parts.

I have had a nibble on the reds here.
  • Options

Artist said:

Being led by a geeky Jewish north Londoner may not be the handicap in Finchley and Golders Green that it is in some other parts.

I have had a nibble on the reds here.
    He would be stronger in those parts if he hadn't been so conspicuous about trying to eat a bacon sandwich on camera.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2015
    Danny565 said:

2014 was a 'Keep UKIP out' election.

The demographics in many parts of London unify people against UKIP.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    My two-bit:

Ealing Central and Acton-will be close.It is a poor area but the neighbouring constituencies have high concentration of immigrants,so it is possible Blues may hold on those concerns.

Hendon-Was a Labour gain from May 2010.

I suggest Finchley and Golders Green may be a Labour gain as a surprise.Large Jewish population though well-off may root for Ed due to Jewish origin.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Roger said:

Good to see you again Stodge. A pity others who predict on here don't do so with your obvious local knowledge

Seven Labour gains in London is plausible, but will be outweighed by Scotland methinks.

In the East Midlands I am expecting very few changes and nil in the 10 Leics seats.

Jacks ARSE is rarely far out.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    I've backed the reds in Finchley, Ilford North and Enfield Southgate.

Hopefully one of them will fall.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited March 2015
    I've added some old London polls to Wikipedia over the last couple of days. It's surprising how static the numbers are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#London

Since UKIP reached about ~10% in May 2013 there been no change other than a Green/LD rebalancing.

YouGov
    April 2014: LD 9%, Green 2%
    May 2014: LD 11%, Green 2%
    June 2014: LD 8%, Green 4%

Jan 2015: LD 7%, Green 8%
    Feb 2015: LD 8%, Green 6%
    March 2015: LD 7%, Green 5%
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Fox

"Jacks ARSE is rarely far out."

I obviously bow to your greater knowledge of Jack's ARSE but as far as I know we have no evidence that his ARSE is any more accurate than your own. He was way out in the INDY ref and as far as I know during the last election it was just an unformed pimple.

His biggest fan is Easterross who has the rare distinction of being the only poster to be less accurate than me and Southam Observer put together!!
  • Options
    nu123nu123 Posts: 25
    "Wasn't there something about Hampstead & Kilburn possibly going blue this time, now that Glenda Hodges has stepped down."

Tories will not gain Hampstead and Kilburn. Yes Hampstead is well off and has a few city millionaires but the middle class there is very liberal and Kilburn has a large ethnic minority vote. This is prime Ed Milliband territory.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    As I have mentioned, I live in the Hornchurch and Upminster constituency, have lived and worked in Romford and a lot of my family come from Dagenham and Barking, so this is all anecdotal, and I don't think there have been any polls.

H & U is prob UKIPs best London chance.. its not really London 2015 in terms of culture and demographic, its more like London 1970 so you can imagine UKIP will do well.. In my circle of friends and family I would say 70% are voting UKIP, including shop owners prepared to put posters in their window.. I think UKIP are 8/1... prob small value, they arc certainties to come 2nd

A girl I was seeing lives in Romford and she said her are UKIP posters in lots of houses round the posh part (Exhibition Estate Gidea Pk) My uncle lives there and having been a member of the Con club all his life, he told Andrew Rosindell last year he had lost his vote to UKIP.. alsdo a BIG wave of immigrants in Rommo, you go into Sports Direct and everyones speaking Polish, there is a Russian shop just opened etc, people might well have had enough.

Throw into that that three hospitals have been closed down recently, to be used as housing for East End social housing tenants, and the replacement, Queens, is in special measure and there have been a spate of robberies of patients

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/crime-court/shocking_figures_reveal_allegations_of_crime_at_queen_s_hospital_1_3963788

Disgusting place, shabby treatment, in short a disgrace.. people are v unhappy about it

Dagenham and Rainham will probably stay Labour as there are barely any WWC people left there, same goes for Barking, which is a mixture of African, Eastern European and Asians with very few WWC.. I would expect UKIP to come 2nd in all 4 and maybe a 3/1 shot to win one
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Danny565 said:

Indigo said:

FPT:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

Jack

Jack

Look at Heywood and Middleton. GE2010 was a 12.9% LAB Majority, at the by-election last year the LAB percentage of the vote change by more than a few points, the LD vote cratered, the CON voter got hammered, and the Kipper vote suddenly put on 35% out of thin air.

Ukip are looking to come second in as many Northern seats as possible - what's to say the Labour collapse will be held at the border, and in some they do better than second?
  • Options
    On hindsight,Ealing Cantral and Acton will be Labour gain because of the Lib Dem decimation in London and this being a 3 way marginal.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Schoolgirls subjected to rape and abuse by Banbury grooming gang only came forward because 'it's better to be a victim than a slag', defence lawyer told court

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2983871/Schoolgirls-abused-Banbury-grooming-gang-slags-not-victims-court-told.html
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

Roger said:

Seven Labour gains in London is plausible, but will be outweighed by Scotland methinks.

In the East Midlands I am expecting very few changes and nil in the 10 Leics seats.

Amber Valley is a nailed on E Midlands LAB gain IMO
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Roger said:

Fox

I obviously bow to your greater knowledge of Jack's ARSE but as far as I know we have no evidence that his ARSE is any more accurate than your own. He was way out in the INDY ref and as far as I know during the last election it was just an unformed pimple.

His biggest fan is Easterross who has the rare distinction of being the only poster to be less accurate than me and Southam Observer put together!!

How very dare you madam.

My ARSE was unrivalled in its accuracy in 2010 and the US affiliate ARSE BUTT also triumphed in the last two general elections across the pond.

The reason JackW is the undisputed TOTY on PB isn't because he issues forth predictions as truly awful as your good self.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    NumbrCrunchrPolitics @NCPoliticsUK · 13m 13 minutes ago
    Polls coming up tonight: Opinium/Observer, YouGov/Times and hearing possibly ComRes too. Reminder: pay attention to fieldwork dates! #GE2015
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    nu123 said:

"Wasn't there something about Hampstead & Kilburn possibly going blue this time, now that Glenda Hodges has stepped down."

Tories will not gain Hampstead and Kilburn. Yes Hampstead is well off and has a few city millionaires but the middle class there is very liberal and Kilburn has a large ethnic minority vote. This is prime Ed Milliband territory.

Probably true, although just about everyone is going to get hit by the mansion tax, and it was a dead heat between the CONs and LAB last time, with a large chunk of around 16k LDs probably looking for an alternative.

Ironically I thought the whole point of Dave ditching his traditional voters was to pick up people like these...
  • Options
    EU sticking nose into stuff again....

Under the exemption, introduced in 1976, cider-makers who produce fewer than 70 hectolitres a year – about 12,000 pints – do not have to pay duty. The National Association of Cider Makers calculates that this accounts for about 80% of the UK’s 480 cider-makers.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/07/craft-cider-eu-tax-threat
  • Options

Under the exemption, introduced in 1976, cider-makers who produce fewer than 70 hectolitres a year – about 12,000 pints – do not have to pay duty. The National Association of Cider Makers calculates that this accounts for about 80% of the UK’s 480 cider-makers.

UKIP surge in Herefordshire ?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Roger said:

I find it hard to see Nick P not getting back in Broxtowe & Sherwood must be nailed on

• Options
    JackW said:

Roger said:

Fox

How very dare you madam.

My ARSE was unrivalled in its accuracy in 2010 and the US affiliate ARSE BUTT also triumphed in the last two general elections across the pond.

The reason JackW is the undisputed TOTY on PB isn't because he issues forth predictions as truly awful as your good self.

The MacARSE was also pretty good on the Indy ref. Of all commentators (many put it TCTC) the MacARSE was consistent and solid in correctly forecasting that the Scots would vote for the Union by a significant percentage.

The ARSE also got the Eastleigh by election fairly close.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Indigo said:

UKIP surge in Herefordshire ?
    The EU have really lost the plot. Piss off cider drinkers to raise £1.25m ? It all went bad when Stella Artois introduced their gassy piss.
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Seems to be a big contradiction in the Scotland polling. The 'no ' vote won the day, it was known that Tories and Labour worked together then. The vote on May 7th could confound Ashcroft's polling, after all he has had to revise his findings before. A few SNP activists going around calling out 'red Tories 'makes good television but means little. Labour will be down in seat numbers in Scotland but maybe by far fewer than some people think.
  • Options
    Conservatives 20-25?
  • Options
    Conservatives 20-25?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Roger said:

Fox

How very dare you madam.

Well, pride comes before a fall.

You were hardly unique in predicting two victories for Obama and the Tories being largest party in a hung parliament in 2010. And you never answered Roger's point about your indyref prediction, which IIRC was something like 61-39, ie. a fair way off and certainly not the most accurate on here. Your long-standing proclamation that "Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister" and your assertion today that the Tories are going to be net gainers of seats in 2015 are both highly likely to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited March 2015
    @Roger

'and as far as I know during the last election it was just an unformed pimple.'

You obviously weren't paying attention,Rod Crosby was spot on and JackW was within a couple of seats.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,916

Seems to be a big contradiction in the Scotland polling. The 'no ' vote won the day, it was known that Tories and Labour worked together then. The vote on May 7th could confound Ashcroft's polling, after all he has had to revise his findings before. A few SNP activists going around calling out 'red Tories 'makes good television but means little. Labour will be down in seat numbers in Scotland but maybe by far fewer than some people think.

Surely not as much of a contradiction as that. Tories and Labour did not work together before the previous GE (well, not much - but note the Edinburgh Trams). And a 45% losing vote in a referendum is a winning vote in a 4 or 5 way FPTP election, even before you add the people annoyed by the breach of promise of devo-max which began the morning after.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Polls coming up tonight: Opinium/Observer, YouGov/Times and hearing possibly ComRes too. Reminder: pay attention to fieldwork dates! #GE2015

Normally if there is a ComRes poll John Rentoul alerts us with a Tweet
  • Options
    What about Loughborough?

Slightly metropolitan and student population.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077

Meeting finished early Jim
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SMukesh

'I suggest Finchley and Golders Green may be a Labour gain as a surprise.Large Jewish population though well-off may root for Ed due to Jewish origin.'

Do you think the reverse may be true in constituencies with large Muslim populations?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@SMukesh

'I suggest Finchley and Golders Green may be a Labour gain as a surprise.Large Jewish population though well-off may root for Ed due to Jewish origin.'

Do you think the reverse may be true in constituencies with large Muslim populations?

Difficult to be sure.But this government has alienated Muslims a lot and my prediction is they will vote for Labour unless someone like Galloway can exploit their discontent.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Fox

How very dare you madam.

You were hardly unique in predicting two victories for Obama and the Tories being largest party in a hung parliament in 2010. And you never answered Roger's point about your indyref prediction, which IIRC was something like 61-39, ie. a fair way off and certainly not the most accurate on here. Your long-standing proclamation that "Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister" and your assertion today that the Tories are going to be net gainers of seats in 2015 are both highly likely to be proved wrong.
    You wretched unbeliever.

I predicted Obama to win the nomination from early and correctly nailed the state by state contests. In the election I also accurately predicted all swing states except Missouri. In 2012 save for Florida that I predicted as TCTC but for Romney. In the other swing states my accuracy was exceptional.

In the 2010 GE I not only predicted a hung parliament with the Conservatives as largest party but also to within one seat.

My McARSE prediction was, out of necessity, given a month out, and was picking up the trend to NO. The model would have moved to around 56.5/43.5 on the day, which I concede was 3 point adrift. The turnout model of 85% was spot on and I was advising PBers from 6 months out that turnout would be 80% plus.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,265
  • Options
    edited March 2015

GIN1138 said:

Normally if there is a ComRes poll John Rentoul alerts us with a Tweet
    They are working with The Rant, so maybe the MoS will have something?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    JackW said:

Roger said:

Fox

How very dare you madam.

When Northern Rock went down the pan, quickly followed by the entire financial system of the Western World, did The ARSE project it would "all by over by Friday"? :smiley::smiley::smiley:

• Options
    Shit what's Salmond on ?

Acting weird on BBC interview.
  • Options

What polling are you basing this on?
  • Options
    John Zimm

"You obviously weren't paying attention,Rod Crosby was spot on and JackW was within a couple of seats."

If you think Rod Crosby is the new Tory Messiah-following in the footsteps of Fitilass and Easterross-there's a lot of money to be made. His last prediction was something like 100% certainty of a Tory overall majority. What's more that was after 6000 twists of the Lambert and Butler wheel with Passing Cloud derivation (courtesy Compouter).

Jack's claim to fame was Obama. I don't recall his predictions for the 2010 election. Perhaps he can tell us his final seat projection?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Fox

How very dare you madam.

When Northern Rock went down the pan, quickly followed by the entire financial system of the Western World, did The ARSE project it would "all by over by Friday"? :smiley::smiley::smiley:

My ARSE doesn't dabble in the financial markets after nearly dying of laughter from the Alec Salmond double of the "Arc of Prosperity" and a Scottish petro-economy based on oil not falling below $120 a barrel.

• Options
    Alanbrooke

"Shit what's Salmond on"

Probably
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

What about Loughborough?

Loughborough is an interesting seat, and one by the winning side in every election for 3 decades. A true bellwether seat. TFS lives there and has posted on how invisible the Labour campaign is. I do some work in Loughborough Hospital. I canvassed the seat for Labour some years ago.

Loughborough is an interesting mix of University town (but an engineering and business orientated one); midlands light engineering and some surrounding villages.

I think Nicky Morgan is safe. The bookies have her as favourite too.
  • Options
    Roger said:

John Zimm

"You obviously weren't paying attention,Rod Crosby was spot on and JackW was within a couple of seats."

Jack's claim to fame was Obama. I don't recall his predictions for the 2010 election. Perhaps he can tell us his final seat projection?

See below. :smile:

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Fox

How very dare you madam.

My ARSE doesn't dabble in the financial markets after nearly dying of laughter from the Alec Salmond double of the "Arc of Prosperity" and a Scottish petro-economy based on oil not falling below $120 a barrel.

You certainly like blowing it out your ARSE
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Ukip is on course to come second in at least 100 seats at the general election as it displaces the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems as the main opposition across large parts of the country, according to new analysis of the party’s electoral prospects on 7 May.

The extraordinary potential haul of Ukip “silver medals” – in an addition to a likely tally of half-a-dozen or so seats at Westminster – would represent a massive breakthrough for Nigel Farage’s anti-EU party, which failed to achieve even a single second place in 2010.

The analysis, conducted by Robert Ford at the University of Manchester for the Observer, suggests that the biggest threat to the established parties from Ukip will come in future local and national elections after May, once it has put down local roots and established itself in the minds of voters as a real alternative to the incumbent party.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/07/ukip-100-second-places-may-election-nigel-farage
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    "...Ashcroft polling of last autumn suggested Messrs Brake and Burstow were secure."

Both those polls were ambiguous. The Tories win when the question is phrased one way, the LDs win when it is phrased in another way.

Sutton and Cheam
    Table 4, p.4
    "If there was a general election tomorrow, which party would you vote for?"

Con 36%, LD 26%

Table 7, p.7
    "Thinking specifically about your own PARLIAMENTARY constituency at the next General Election and the candidates who are likely to stand FOR ELECTION TO WESTMINSTER there, which party's candidate do you think you will vote for in your own constituency?"

Con 27%, LD 45%

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Sutton-Cheam-Full-tables-Sept-14.pdf

-------

Carshalton and Wallington
    Table 4, p.4

Con 30%, LD 25%

Table 7, p.7
    "Thinking specifically about your own PARLIAMENTARY constituency at the next General Election and the candidates who are likely to stand FOR ELECTION TO WESTMINSTER there, which party's candidate do you think you will vote for in your own constituency?"

Con 23%, LD 43%

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Carshalton-Wallington-poll-tables-Nov-14.pdf
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    ARSE = Anally Retentive Senile Eccentric.
    (As usual DYOR)
  • Options
    Roger said:

Alanbrooke

"Shit what's Salmond on"

Probably

LOL, I couldn't possible comment.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015

Ukip is on course to come second in at least 100 seats at the general election as it displaces the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems as the main opposition across large parts of the country, according to new analysis of the party’s electoral prospects on 7 May.

The extraordinary potential haul of Ukip “silver medals” – in an addition to a likely tally of half-a-dozen or so seats at Westminster – would represent a massive breakthrough for Nigel Farage’s anti-EU party, which failed to achieve even a single second place in 2010.

The analysis, conducted by Robert Ford at the University of Manchester for the Observer, suggests that the biggest threat to the established parties from Ukip will come in future local and national elections after May, once it has put down local roots and established itself in the minds of voters as a real alternative to the incumbent party.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/07/ukip-100-second-places-may-election-nigel-farage

This is the guy who said Rochester & Strood was well below 200 on UKIP's Target list and Thanet South was 143. Take with a pinch of salt.

The interesting thing is that the article indicates that UKIP will be on 14% in tonight's poll.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HHemmelig said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Fox

How very dare you madam.

You wretched unbeliever.

I predicted Obama to win the nomination from early and correctly nailed the state by state contests. In the election I also accurately predicted all swing states except Missouri. In 2012 save for Florida that I predicted as TCTC but for Romney. In the other swing states my accuracy was exceptional.

In the 2010 GE I not only predicted a hung parliament with the Conservatives as largest party but also to within one seat.

My McARSE prediction was, out of necessity, given a month out, and was picking up the trend to NO. The model would have moved to around 56.5/43.5 on the day, which I concede was 3 point adrift. The turnout model of 85% was spot on and I was advising PBers from 6 months out that turnout would be 80% plus.

Fair enough. I still think you'll have to eat your words about Miliband never becoming PM however. Also you should seriously look at your modelling for Enfield North where the consensus view even among Tories is that Labour are going to romp home with a pretty big majority. Croydon Central is quite evenly balanced but in all likelihood tilting to Labour. If Barwell holds the seat it will be by the skin of his teeth.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Fox

How very dare you madam.

You certainly like blowing it out your ARSE
    Thank you.

Better out than in as MikeK would say on some issues.

• Options

Excuse me for asking, but what's the point of coming second in a FPTP system?

• Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Alanbroke/Roger/Jack

What a tiresome threesome you make. Salmond and his band of 30/40/50 SNP MPs will be laughing at you all the way to Westminster! Get used to it guys.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good evening, everyone.

Saw a minute or two of Sky News. Constant bleating and viewing everything through the prism of the debates is not an attractive approach.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019
    GIN1138 said:

It changes people's perceptions of you as a possible challenger in a seat. Supporters of Labour and the Tories both love to claim they are the only viable opposition in most seats - in England at least. If Ford's analysis is true (a big 'if') then that claim no longer holds water.

The question then becomes one of whether UKIP follow the Labour pattern and become the new normal or the SDP pattern and disappear before the next election.

I have no idea which of those is more likely.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Alanbroke/Roger/Jack

What a tiresome threesome you make. Salmond and his band of 30/40/50 SNP MPs will be laughing at you all the way to Westminster! Get used to it guys.

Awwww Lassie, you'd spoil the fun of three old men on a cold weekend ?

Imagine we were all just endless drudges who toe a party line what fun would there be, we;d end up like Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Second place looks better on bar charts than fifth place when you are trying to convince voters to support your candidate.

This year's second place is next year's contender.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

What about Loughborough?

Loughborough is an interesting seat, and one by the winning side in every election for 3 decades. A true bellwether seat. TFS lives there and has posted on how invisible the Labour campaign is. I do some work in Loughborough Hospital. I canvassed the seat for Labour some years ago.

Loughborough is an interesting mix of University town (but an engineering and business orientated one); midlands light engineering and some surrounding villages.

You are missing that Loughborough uni is also Jock Central. Role up for a causal crack at some sport and you will more than likely find the facilities are being used by some national or international champion.
  • Options
    Alan,broke

Hvae you three ever thought of why your weekends are so cold?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    Afternoon all :)

First, thanks to OGH and the team for putting up my random rantings and thanks for the generally positive response. I cannot believe I forgot Enfield North either - I would agree with most it looks a fairly certain Labour gain.

On the CON-LAB side I'm fairly confident Labour will recapture Hendon, Brentford & Isleworth and Ealing Central & Acton. Harrow East is very close while I expect Labour to pick up Croydon Central.

Battersea is on the fringes - YouGov suggests a CON hold but I was trying to find some value in what look to be some very cramped odds and I thought 11/4 for Labour had possibilities. The problem for Labour is there isn't much LD vote to squeeze though I would again note the residual Labour strength in that part of Wandsworth.

I don't share HHemmelig's optimistic assessment of LD chances in SW London. The Conservatives will throw the proverbial at both K&S and Twickenham and the Borough results last year weren't too bad for the Tories so 9/2 looked a sporting bet for Twickenham.

Apart from the two obvious LAB gains from LD (and I really don't know about OB&S), do I think any of the 2005 Conservative gains will revert to Labour ? In 2005 London voted 39-32-22 (LAB-CON-LD) so the current YouGov poll is a swing of 2.5% to Labour from there so you'd be tempted to think there could be some upside from the 44-22-8 seat split back then.

My prediction of 45-24-4 isn't far from that but I do accept if the YouGov numbers turn out to be an accurate reflection of votes in nine weeks time that some of the 2005 CON gains will be under threat though I struggle to see the likes of F&GG and Enfield Southgate changing hands.

• Options
    HHemmelig said:

JackW said:

HHemmelig said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Fox

How very dare you madam.

You were hardly unique in predicting two victories for Obama and the Tories being largest party in a hung parliament in 2010. And you never answered Roger's point about your indyref prediction, which IIRC was something like 61-39, ie. a fair way off and certainly not the most accurate on here.
    You wretched unbeliever.

Fair enough. I still think you'll have to eat your words about Miliband never becoming PM however. Also you should seriously look at your modelling for Enfield North where the consensus view even among Tories is that Labour are going to romp home with a pretty big majority. Croydon Central is quite evenly balanced but in all likelihood tilting to Labour. If Barwell holds the seat it will be by the skin of his teeth.
    I can't manipulate the numbers because they don't match the "consensus".

Enfield North has always been in the Labour column but has moved between <500 TCTC and a <2500 majority.

As for Ed .... nuff said we disagree but I am correct :

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister

• Options

GIN1138 said:

It changes people's perceptions of you as a possible challenger in a seat. Supporters of Labour and the Tories both love to claim they are the only viable opposition in most seats - in England at least. If Ford's analysis is true (a big 'if') then that claim no longer holds water.

The question then becomes one of whether UKIP follow the Labour pattern and become the new normal or the SDP pattern and disappear before the next election.

I have no idea which of those is more likely.
    Dead right. There will be by elections in the next parliament and UKIP will be in a far better position if they start from. 2nd. A pattern of victories would take great platform for GE20

• Options
    Scotslass

'What a tiresome threesome you make. Salmond and his band of 30/40/50 SNP MPs will be laughing at you all the way to Westminster! Get used to it guys."

Alex 'three dozen'. I can recommend some good restaurants. I understand they come down with quite an appetite.

• Options
    scotslass said:

Alanbroke/Roger/Jack

You lost the referendum. Get used to it.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited March 2015
    Sometime soon even the slightly switched off electorate will realise that the next government should be picked because of its policies and recent history..not a 90 minute TV show. Cameron knows this.. the Labour party does not and is expending all of its energy in the wrong direction...long may they continue to do so.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Alan,broke

Hvae you three ever thought of why your weekends are so cold?

Enlighten us, us old codgers are always happy to learn new things.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019

Roger said:

I find it hard to see Nick P not getting back in Broxtowe & Sherwood must be nailed on

I think you are probably right about Sherwood although I understand that Mark Spencer has put a lot of time and effort into the job of being a constituency MP and is reasonably popular. I think the other thing is that Sherwood is definitely changing in terms of the demographics which is one reason I think Spencer won in 2010. The old Labour mining strongholds are mostly gone and Sherwood is now much closer to Newark (with which it shares a local council) in its character these days.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @richardDodd
    What caused a major part of the electorate to get "switched on" at the last general election?
    We can assume that the Tory party will know the answer, as they studied it extensively.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895

"...Ashcroft polling of last autumn suggested Messrs Brake and Burstow were secure."

Both those polls were ambiguous. The Tories win when the question is phrased one way, the LDs win when it is phrased in another way.

Sutton and Cheam
    Table 4, p.4

Con 36%, LD 26%

Table 7, p.7

Con 27%, LD 45%

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Sutton-Cheam-Full-tables-Sept-14.pdf

-------

Carshalton and Wallington
    Table 4, p.4

Con 30%, LD 25%

Table 7, p.7

Con 23%, LD 43%

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Carshalton-Wallington-poll-tables-Nov-14.pdf

All that tells me is Messrs Brake and Burstow (hence me mentioning them by name rather than by Party) were in a strong position to hold their seats. The dangerous time for Sutton LDs will be when these two gents stand down.

In addition, unlike in Kingston and Richmond, last year's local elections in Sutton saw the Conservatives lose ground on 2010 - although Timmo will try and offer some weak excuse, the truth is the Tories needed to do a lot better to be in with a serious chance.

• Options

SMukesh said:

What about Loughborough?

You are missing that Loughborough uni is also Jock Central. Role up for a causal crack at some sport and you will more than likely find the facilities are being used by some national or international champion.
    Sporting Jock rather than tartan jock, yes I agree, there are an unbelievable number of joggers of an evening. It is quite different from liberal arts universities.

• Options
    Jack/Alanbroke/Rodger

You sound more like Bitter Together. And things ain't getting any better for you.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Alanbroke/Roger/Jack

Thing is, if either of the main parties get a majority, with or without C&S from LD/UKIP/DUP, no one will care what those SNP MPs will think for another maybe 5 years.
  • Options
    Smarmeron, in case you hadn't noticed .. the Conservative Party is the senior party in a coalition that has been in power for five years and David Cameron is the PM I know this is all terribly difficult for you to take in.. but do try.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

First, thanks to OGH and the team for putting up my random rantings and thanks for the generally positive response. I cannot believe I forgot Enfield North either - I would agree with most it looks a fairly certain Labour gain.

On the CON-LAB side I'm fairly confident Labour will recapture Hendon, Brentford & Isleworth and Ealing Central & Acton. Harrow East is very close while I expect Labour to pick up Croydon Central.

Battersea is on the fringes - YouGov suggests a CON hold but I was trying to find some value in what look to be some very cramped odds and I thought 11/4 for Labour had possibilities. The problem for Labour is there isn't much LD vote to squeeze though I would again note the residual Labour strength in that part of Wandsworth.

I don't share HHemmelig's optimistic assessment of LD chances in SW London. The Conservatives will throw the proverbial at both K&S and Twickenham and the Borough results last year weren't too bad for the Tories so 9/2 looked a sporting bet for Twickenham.

Apart from the two obvious LAB gains from LD (and I really don't know about OB&S), do I think any of the 2005 Conservative gains will revert to Labour ? In 2005 London voted 39-32-22 (LAB-CON-LD) so the current YouGov poll is a swing of 2.5% to Labour from there so you'd be tempted to think there could be some upside from the 44-22-8 seat split back then.

My prediction of 45-24-4 isn't far from that but I do accept if the YouGov numbers turn out to be an accurate reflection of votes in nine weeks time that some of the 2005 CON gains will be under threat though I struggle to see the likes of F&GG and Enfield Southgate changing hands.

Battersea, Ealing, Hornsey, Hampstead, Finchley, Bermondsey are all identified as having Green friendly demographics by Mr Ford.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/24/green-party-labour-threat-2015-election-robert-ford
  • Options

Sometime soon even the slightly switched off electorate will realise that the next government should be picked because of its policies and recent history..not a 90 minute TV show. Cameron knows this.. the Labour party does not and is expending all of its energy in the wrong direction...long may they continue to do so.

Indeed. EdM should be spending his efforts in trying to get those 30 odd wonks he was working on the Labour manifesto to give him something the electorate and the media wont laugh at, and ideally consists of more than warm words and unicorns.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Jack/Alanbroke/Rodger

You sound more like Bitter Together. And things ain't getting any better for you.

Actually given the referendum has been held and won, things are going pretty well. For a federalist like myself who thinks the UK is overcentralised the current shake-up can only improve things.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Carnyx said:

Surely not as much of a contradiction as that. Tories and Labour did not work together before the previous GE (well, not much - but note the Edinburgh Trams). And a 45% losing vote in a referendum is a winning vote in a 4 or 5 way FPTP election, even before you add the people annoyed by the breach of promise of devo-max which began the morning after.

Yeah, "the SNP can't possibly" crowd need to understand that at 45% vote share, no tactical vote is every going to overcome this sort of number. Even if they do tactically get it right in all three border seats, and half of Edinburgh that's still leaving the SNP well north of 45 seats.
  • Options
    Indigo

How many people think that Cameron is capable of getting a majority he couldn't get in 2010 in 2015 and how many people think that Milliband is capable full stop.

We're set for a hanging parliament and the 20 surviving Libs won't want to play with anyone, SF won't be there, the DUP will get six or seven, UKIP will be lucky to get that, leaving a minimum of 40 SNP/Plaid/Greens calling the shots.

Sounds fine to me.
  • Options
    Cut, Wrap, Kill the lights.The show is over.Go home everybody.. What next Ed...maybe some policies instead of PM bashing... cos that's what the voters want to see
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Dave was massively in favour of the debates in 2010. I doubt it is a point of high principle that has made him reconsider his position.
  • Options
    Pulpstar Dave was in opposition.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    scotslass said:

Indigo

How many people think that Cameron is capable of getting a majority he couldn't get in 2010 in 2015 and how many people think that Milliband is capable full stop.

We're set for a hanging parliament and the 20 surviving Libs won't want to play with anyone, SF won't be there, the DUP will get six or seven, UKIP will be lucky to get that, leaving a minimum of 40 SNP/Plaid/Greens calling the shots.

Sounds fine to me.

If Cameron gets a minority government it's doubtful if Labour will pull it down straight away, they will have just thrown Ed off a cliff and be in the middle of massed fratricide looking for a new leader, and they won't have any money. Not just that Farage probably just came second in 100 Labour seats and they wont want to risk losing a load of those to him in a second election.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Indigo

Sounds fine to me.

I love hubris, it makes the inevitable fall so much more fun.
This discussion has been closed.